HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,851 through 4,900 (of 7,330 total)

• Milena- not easier for us, we now have to buy special software to complete our online UK tax return because we are overseas residents. Yes we now have to do 2 tax returns a year, one running Jan – Dec, the other April – April. Not for the faint hearted.

When are you coming? Pata Negra ready and waiting

Is that an invite, reckon I’ll should look half decent by September, I’m thinking wetsuit (sleeves) and a sarong.

Hi Applepie
    Thanks for your tips Yes you are correct. I am short at 5ft 2 and 83kg. So I have a lot to lose. I will try the 350 calories a day and the liquids only 1day a week and see what happens

Hi Ginette
    Thanks for your advice. You are marvellously disciplined! I do in fact weigh and count all on my fast days including oils and I don’t have milk, so I don’t think there is anything I am doing incorrectly. What attracted me to the 5:2 fasting was that I could eat normally on teh other days (I already maintain a careful diet) and am reluctant to make this any more restrictive as I know from previous experience that I will eventually fail! I have to find a way that I can live with for the rest of my life (that works).

Good luck Jo90

Appliepie got me on liquid fasts. Love ’em, though didn’t do it today, my usual day. Had a real mank on yesterday, ended up in bed at 6, after eating only a bowl of cereal all day.

If on a plateau, well worth getting in a huff with the world!.

Still managed to fast today, but not intentionally. Took me til about 5 to forgive OH, which was difficult, as he hadn’t done anything. Son cleaned bathroom though, I must be scary when I get a monk on.

Something has worked well for Applepie, amazing weight loss AND wine – awesome!

Hi Galexinda

I agree with you. These figures are generalised. I even find TDEE of this site is high. To realise how much you can eat without going over, my fitness pal is good. I put goal weight in and it set mine at 1580 which is about right I think. I don’t really get bear that on most days as on NFD’s I eat about 1100. This is without treats at the moment. So when I I put treats after FBD it will probably come out at between 1300 and 1400, this is fine for me.

Only 3 weeks to go for Fast beach so not long. It will be nice to be able to have them again and I may choose not to, the important thing is to have that choice.

CMac

It is worth doing as Audrey says. Check the symptoms on google and see if you can relate to them. I don’t know anything about that so I can’t help there, it does sound as if Audrey has first hand knowledge.

Well done Nemum

Let us know how the non fast days are going. They are also important as you do want to start weight loss. I can remember going to my doctor a few years ago as I felt run down and tearful for no reason. When I went into a bakery to buy a couple of bread rolls the bag split and I got outside the shop and cried. Yes I know very strange.

Well my doctored gave me a bottle of multivitamins with iron. They had the strangest effect, which left me a little worried. Over two weeks I took these tablets, I wasn’t dieting or exercising. On my returned visit I shared my concerns with her. I had lost 10 lb in 2 weeks…….not even trying to. My doctor told me not to worry as vitamin pills will often kickstart the metabolism. It was normal for this to happen.

I took them for about a month. On 5:2 because we eat a better diet (normally) there shouldn’t be any need for this, but maybe worth considering for a month.

I do know that some vitamins can stop the health benefits of 5:2 being so effective, I read some research on this. So maybe just a month to kickstart weightloss would be good.

I told my pharmacist about what had happened. As she had been trying to lose weight she joined a weight loss group. As part of this they supplied her with a weeks worth of tablets for Β£7. There was no way she would take them without looking at what was in them. She analysed them…….they were vitamin pills. Many people had been paying Β£1 a tablet, where her pharmacy sold 60 for Β£1.

I found this so interesting as it also confirmed what the doctor was saying.

Worth a go….you decide.

Hi fitnfast

Yes, I think Milena sums it up well. Hope all is going well for you.

Ginette

I’m post menopause and it works for me! Lost all the extra pounds in the first 6 months and now with fasting one day in the week stay at my new weight. I’m convinced this has to do with not eating (most of the time, I do so enjoy all the unhealthy stuff) or avoiding all manufactured food, lots of organic food and drink.
    My health has also greatly improved, as a sufferer of psyrosis is this fantastic, no more hormone creams. Was told by my dermatologist that this is a lifetime disease, touch wood, I’m now free of those ugly, itchy areas. I put a post in yesterday in the science forum, genetically modified organismes, also if you look up ‘doctor Natasha Cambell McBride’ she is a definite must! Since going into the menopause I’ve tried everything and that was now 10 years ago, for the first time since I had my first child my weight is good and constant.
    Don’t give up, you don’t want to go from the pear to the apple shape and you don’t need to.

You are the same height as me Jo90, 5’2″. It is so unfair that the lucky tall people get to eat so much more than us isn’t it? But such is life, that is just the way it is. At our height and at our time of life we just have to face facts and eat less. That is if we really do want to lose weight.

For the first couple of weeks on 5:2 I counted calories religiously. Not anymore. I know what adds up to a 350 calorie fast (not very much!) and on my liquids only day, today, my liquids are water based, no milk, no sugar. Then for the rest of the week I make much healthier choices than pre 5:2 but I do not count calories. I have made the choice to be thin so I automatically choose foods that will help me on that journey … most of the time, I am no angel. And yes, probably 4 nights a week I have wine, but the gin and tonics are history.

I suppose I am on a permanent diet, but it is of my own choosing. Like Milena if someone told me “you can’t eat that” that would be the end for me. We are all different and can all adapt this WOL to suit ourselves.

Milena I am so glad to hear that Willow is doing better. Hmmm it is nice here in September πŸ™‚

AAARRGGHH!
    After my 8th fab fast day yesterday – I’ve put on a pound.
    4 and half weeks in on 5:2 and not a thing off.
    Not sure this is for me.
    Really!
    L

Hello everyone, can anyone help or advise me; I’m 5ft7in and 11st10lbs I started the diet 5 weeks ago & have only lost 3lbs. I’ve started limiting my fast day to 1 500kcal meal only and the rest of the week Ive not been counting calories but do eat ‘relatively’ healthy. What do you think I’m doing wrong? I thought the idea of this diet was to fast on two days and not worry too much on the others. Is that right?

Hi Applepie

mentioned it to OH, prepping the car as we speak. Though it is a lotus (lots of trouble, usually serious) and its a fair few miles from Edinburgh, we could be clapping your door – isnt clapping a great scottish word. Then we’ll change accents to Geordie an’ gan plodging in the sea – even better word but oh so difficult to find a sentence in which to use it!!!!

VicW, I’m guessing you are not far from the healthy range for your bmi? If so 3lbs in 5 weeks is absolutely fine. Apparently the last few pounds are a little harder go move, Im shifting stones still, gawd help me when it gets harder cos if this is the easy bit………………

Hi NEmum, beyond me, after fast 8 I was a pound down, two days after. Keep the faith and ditch the treats.

Edison didnt give up after his first 8 attempts, and he eventually saw the light!!

VicW,

I’m 5ft7 and started at 11st5 in January 2014, and have now been 9st4ish for a year.

I’m afraid I have to disagree with Milena. In my experience the last few lbs are not harder to shift (my BMI is 20ish now, but I can still lose weight if I fast).

If you aren’t losing weight, or losing very slowly, then I’m afraid you are probably overeating on your non-fast days. It doesn’t matter if it’s healthy food or unhealthy, if you’re consuming more calories than you need (i.e. consistently eating over TDEE) then you won’t lose weight or you’ll lose it very slowly.

With 5:2 you calorie restrict for two days of the week, and eat ‘normally’ (i.e. within TDEE) for the remaining 5 days.

So you might want to get an idea of how much you’re eating on non-fast days? And maybe consider reducing processed carbs and sugar, as these can hinder weight loss in my experience.

It does work. Good luck!

Hi Ann

Nice of you to post here and really encouraging. Well done on maintaining. I am nowhere near this yet.

Apple pie isn’t too far away though.

Hi Nemum

What are you eating on NFD’s? You must watch that and now get strict. You either have to bite the bullet and join us on FBD. Or cut out all processed foods and treats.

There is an article below that looks at how junk food – what we think of as treats, stops our metabolism working. I don’t agree with the not calorie counting bit if trying to lose, but, especially at first if we count calories we allow ourselves treats and count them in. I really think you have to go cold turkey over treats and processed food. This might help. Even doing the fast days if you eat treat version of normally it doesn’t work. I stopped all processed food apart from maybe a lasagne every couple of weeks.

It seemed to work for me. If not I think that one works against the other.

Read the article below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3077507/Everything-think-know-diets-wrong.html

Hi Vic

Welcome to the thread. Again I would suggest the only way to “tighten up” bad habits are being strict for at least 2/3 weeks. Try FBD this has been good for Milena and I. It stops cravings, for me at least……it doesn’t stop fancies….but they can be out off. I am looking forward to my raspberry magnum in three weeks time…I am happy to wait though. It will make it all the more delicious!!

Milena I know misses things. I don’t as much, I am hoping it will just build in better habits. I was quite good but had a couple of too enjoyable weeks. These came in under my target weight TDEE, but slowed weight loss right down. It has certainly speeded up now.

Keep posting. Ask any questions you like as I’m sure you will get a few answers.

Nemum, keep strong and weigh and count everything. I am doing this for 6 weeks to reeducate myself. I will then only do it on fast days and just keep an eye on what I am eating. Watch out for hidden sugars in things. Think that 4 grams of sugar is equal to one teaspoonful. Look on the food labels, it is surprising what hidden sugars are in foods. Even bread.

Ginette

Happy, Hi

Im more than happy to bow to your superior knowledge, of course, you have the tee shirt!

Good to know it wont get harder. Phew, cos its not easy, now.

Hi Milena,

I think if you can reconcile yourself to the fact that as you shrink, your calorie requirements shrink also, and you will need to eat proportionately less, then it doesn’t get harder. It might not get easier, mind!

And to be fair, you have thrown yourself in at the deep end with FBD! I never did more than basic 5:2.

For me I think the key has been massively reducing processed carbs and pretty much going sugar free. I now don’t crave carbs and don’t really have a sweet tooth (I used to eat a chunky kitkat or a chocolate flapjack for breakfast every day πŸ™‚ ). I go weeks now without any sweet treats and don’t miss them. I think I’ve been really lucky that my eating preferences have changed. I eat a lot of nuts and cheese now though!

Hi Happy

We are only going on other peoples findings about weight loss nearer target. Some people are finding it more difficult. I am glad that you are finding it easy though. One day will will know…..won’t we Milena?

I agree carbs and sugar do hinder weight loss.

Well done on your success.

Ginette

vicw,

Welcome how many calories are you eating on your non fast days?

It is better in my opinion to keep a track on everything you eat at least for the first few weeks.

I personally think the tdee on here is slightly high so I work to what my tdee will be after I lose my weight, my current one is 1547 but I work on 1200 kcal or less on my non fast days and this usually works for me.

Keep in touch, hope this helps

Hello to everyone else, fast day today for me, wish me luck.

Happy did you have to mention chunky kit kat now I want one!

Audrey

Hi Happy

Our posts seem to be crossing.

Yes I agree cutting carbs and sugar is a big way of coping. The food preferences seem to change for all of us after a while. It is just how it is.

I think I am right in saying that both Milena and I and Jaye work on our TDEE at target rate. So we won’t have to change.

I have much less of a sweet tooth, in fact I can’t eat really sweet things …….things that I never found sweet before. Namely crunchier nut cornflakes – I only eat them rarely. It was a year in between the two boxes. The second one I have only had one portion out of as I found them far too sweet. Also a youghurt I found too sweet.

Chocolate so far is fine, maybe I shoul say was fine as I haven’t eaten it for three weeks now. Let’s see at the end of six weeks if it is sweet.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,

Yes, I know a lot of people struggle with the last few lbs, but there are others that don’t! I just chimed in really to let everyone know that the last few lbs won’t necessarily be hard to lose.

And to be honest, most of us are setting our goal weight fairly arbitrarily aren’t we? So your mind might know it’s your last few lbs before you reach goal, but how does your body know that?

Hi Audrey

Yes I agree the first few weeks it is good to count as food can surprise you in many ways. Much higher that you thought or much lower.

On my fitness pal (if you have it). I think you can get it online as well as an app. It has a bit (on the app that says more bottom right). Click on this and go to goals. You can set current weight and target weight. It will then give you a more realistic calorie goal. Mine is 1580 to be a comfortable weight (top of healthy range) I know that about a stone lower was my ideal weight.

I have just looked at ideal weight as well and there isn’t any change. 1580 calories. I eat well under about 1000 to 1100 on FBD

I think TDEE is what we need on a daily basis as opposed to what we need to lose weight.

As it stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure it makes sense to me. On my fitness pal it says calorie target. This is to lose 1lb a week.

Out of interest I just reset it to lose 1.5lb a week and it changed my calorie goal to 1330. So I will reset it to 1lb a week as this gives me choices. I am a bit like other people, I may choose to restrict myself more, but don’t tell me that is all I should eat or I will want more. Just going to reset it back to 1lb a week.

Ginette

Hi Happy

I agree it is good to know that it isn’t always hard. I have so much to lose I wanted to set it at a comfortable weight first. I am pretty sure I will change it when nearing that that target.

It will be nice to wear non plus size clothes.

That is my first long term objective.

Ginette

Ginette,

I want to get out of plus sized clothes also. Currently weigh 219lbs. Want to get under 200 for my first long term goal. Weight loss is slow going. Will be happy if under 200 by Christmas.

Unathecat

Hi Una

Love your name. I used to called the cat lady in France. I still am by one set of friends.

I rescued lots of cats and kittens, these came from my mums two cats. When she was ill she moved in with me in England. I gave my uncle the money to get them neutered. Did he…….did he heck! I have had 11 neutered since then. Also I have taken about 32 kittens to sanctuaries.

The sanctuary was a 70 mile round trip and people thought I was mad.

Now there are no cats there as this was about 15 years ago.

Anyway…..sorry I digress…..welcome to the thread.

I started out at 281 lbs and I am now 242 so a long way to go, but I have come a fair way too. I cut out treats and a lot of carbs about three weeks ago…..not all carbs. This has really kickstarted weight loss for me.

Try cutting down carbs and treats and see if that helps.

Under 200 is very achievable. When did you start? I started cutting down last May and lost a stone up to January. From the second week of January to now I have lost nearly two stone. So I am pleased with that.

Carry on posting it is nice to hear from new people and regular posters alike. A real sense of community here. I am sure others agree. We help each other a long by pushing or pulling it seems to work. We cheer each other up in times of woe and cheer along in good times. Must be like during the war, we are all battling a common enemy, well two really……that fat which sometimes seems to hold on for dear life and ourselves….pesky little tempted gremlins that encourage us to eat a lot of things we should only eat in moderation.

We will win, we can be strong together……

Ginette

Ginette

Hi Milena – I think you summed it up very well. The figures of 2000 / 500 are just an example and if people work out their own TDEE then that is a more realistic target for the feast days and then on the fast days do a quarter of that figure. I keep looking at other ideas and options – that’s the beauty of 5:2 in that you can adapt it to suit yourself and knowing that if a social occasion comes up you can fit your fast days around it. I know quite a few people go the 16:8 route as they’ve got used to not having breakfast, but at the end of the day you still have to keep within TDEE to lose weight.

Ginette,
    I loved your story about the cats!That’s awesome that you helped so many. My first cat was named Una. She lived 17 years and was a calico.
    Anyhow, I have been doing the 5/2 for 2 years with breaks mixed in. I was 250lb. So have lost 31 pounds. I live is US and don’t know what a “stone” means. Will look it up. I got on the forum because have been at a standstill for months. I really don’t track calories on non fast days. Thinking I will try using fitness pal again. Going to think about your idea of less carbs and treats.
    I enjoy your sense of humor. We are in a war ;). Going to do next fast day tomorrow.

Hi All

On TV this Morning they were showing 2 people trying 5:2 diet. I won’t spoil it by telling you the outcome but I will tell you that the doctor recommended 1500 calories on NFD’s and I’m pretty sure they were counting……

The first video is on the link and if you scroll down the page you will find another link – something like how did they do.

Let me know your thoughts

http://www.itv.com/thismorning

I’m fasting today, but I have just had a little melon and I will have my meal tonight.

Ginette

I could not access the video but thanks for letting us know. I think I need to start paying more attention to calories on nfd’s but I am not committed to 1500 on all nfd’s…..

Hi Nemum

You are quiet. Is all well?

Hi Una

If I can access video later on you tube I will upload it. It isn’t there now though.

Ginette

Thanks Ginette! How is your fast day going? Mine is tomorrow.

Hi Una

Yes mine is fine apart from the chicken I had. Chinese chicken. I have never had anything Chinese that I don’t like. This was marinaded with aniseed. Now I don’t mind aniseed but to me it doesn’t go with chicken.

I have a big bag of it as well so I imagine I shall be eating it for a while.

Fast day has gone well apart from Chicken. I think I am also going to fast tomorrow as I have a wedding Friday. Drink isn’t a problem with me but I will eat things that I wouldn’t normally.

I can then relax at the weekend – well that is the plan.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Ginette

Hi Lady’s
    I’ve been a bit ill with something resembling the flu, but probably wasn’t because I was vaccinated last fall for it. Lots of cold symptoms with body aches, chills and vomiting thrown in for good measure. So the dieting for a whole week has gone by the board, but I wasn’t up to doing a whole lot of eatting anyway. As it turns out, without the least bit of effort, I’m down 3 lbs this week, for a total loss so far of 23.5 lbs. I’m thinking that this week was so easy, it’s a shame I can’t be sick every week ( just kidding, I wouldn’t recommend this method of losing weight to my worst enemy)
    The paleo diet was put off until this week, but I’m into it quite nicely so far. Cave man food is the most basic and clean way of eatting I’ve ever done. It feels good to be consuming simple yet nourishing food that’s easy to prepare and doesn’t leave you feeling stuffed. I’m not good at linking websites like our Ginette but it’s easy to find on the Internet if you’re interested. I’ve done a little lurking this week also, so I’ve kept up with most of your progress. Congratulations to all the successes and many pats on all your backs. I’m going to try being a bit more communicative and post more than once a week. I’ll also try to be a little more informative and keep you up to date on the progress I’m making using the paleo diet for my non- fasting days and a 500 cal version of it on my fasting days.
    Take care everyone
    Fran πŸ™‚

Hi All. Fran’s sister Debbie finally de-lurking again. I only get to find out about my naughty sister’s progress here.

Yes, Fran πŸ™‚ I actually did come within 2 lbs of my target – went from `152 to 130 in about 8 weeks (a bit too fast I think, as now I have all sorts of jiggly flesh to work on). Then the wheels completely fell off the little red wagon. I went into production week for a show and did a 2 week run and then a 1 week mini tour. Then my sort of kind of boyfriend returned from Thailand and basically I went into free fall – stepped up the drinking, stopped counting calories and even allowed myself a couple of chocolate bars (which is weird, actually because I am not a sugar person). It is almost 4 weeks now I don’t want to weigh myself, because I will get too discouraged, but I am sure I have gained back at least 4-5 lbs. It is time to get myself back in shape. I have a big social long weekend coming up, so there is no point starting today, I will just end up beating myself up for the inevitable failure. I will pick up again starting Tuesday, beginning with a fast day. (My days are/were tues and thurs).

So moral of the story… Most of us do fall off the band wagon, be it one day or 1 month, but with the support of a wonderful group of ladies such as yourselves, we can get back on track again. I congratulate you all on your successes and commiserate with the blips, but we can all do it together if we try. I am going to post more regularly as I need the support. And Fran, we will reward ourselves with a small shopping trip and a new piece of clothing each for our new bodies when I visit in the summer.

Hi All

I have been ‘lurking’ for a while, but CMac26’s post made me want to reply, and to give a quick update as to where I am.

I wanted to lose just over 2 and a half stone (37 pounds) minimum for my daughter’s wedding in August this year. I started at the beginning of last year on the 5:2. But nothing happened. I maintained wonderfully, but didn’t lose, despite reducing on non fast days too. I then went to Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) almost exactly a year ago today. On that, I lost a steady one pound per week. Not brilliant, but at that time I had the time still available to me to lose my weight by about May I thought (in time to buy my outfit). I then went to Sri Lanka (charity work) for 14 weeks and whilst there I couldn’t weigh myself, kept as close as possible to the ADF, and lost inches every week. When I came back (a few weeks ago) I weighed and found I still had a stone (14 pounds) minimum to lose. But after a couple of weeks staying with friends and family, eating normally (as they do – and they’re not overweight) and drinking wine etc (ditto), I gained 8 pounds!!!

I returned to being back on my own in France with time running out for me to lose the weight (still a minimum of 21lb) before buying an outfit. So, before leaving the UK, I bought some food packs (shakes, soups and bars).

On ADF I was finding keeping to the fast days quite hard. I’m OK until I eat and then I want to eat more! That never went away and I did sometimes ‘fall off the wagon’ I must admit.

I have found over the past 10 days (since being on my own and being able to stick to ‘my plan’) that it is much easier for me to have two or three simple soups or shakes on fast days as they don’t make me feel like ‘eating more’. Also, I can easily keep under any TDEE with those, plus a few added veg, a glass of red wine (very healthy I now believe – thanks to the person who put on the link about healthy gut helping to lose weight) and some mixed nuts or something. I am not thinking non-fast or fast now, just sticking to the packs most days, but if I want something extra, then I do. My appetite has dropped (something it never really did while I was doing the normal ADF) and I am finding it much, much easier. No calorie counting, no weighing food, no eating ‘just a little food’ and being left wanting more. More to the point (for me anyway) is that I have already lost the weight I put on during my stay with friends and family, plus a bit, (which would nothave happened for me on the ADF) and I am hoping to lose more than one pound a week in the forthcoming weeks which will get me to my goal in time to buy an outfit.

So, I do agree with CMac26, that having to fast and also restrict greatly what you eat on non-fast days, calorie counting all the time, is really just any calorie controlled diet, with a few lower and higher days. And that, I find very, very difficult to do.

I also agree with the others that you DO need to restrict, not only on fast days, but all the time for this to work (for me anyway). And if you can manage and enjoy that, then it DOES work, albeit slowly, (again only my own experience).

With my new plan I hope to catch up and lose the weight I need to in the time I have. Then I will see how 5:2 works at helping me maintain my new lower weight.

Every-one needs to find something which suits them (and I know so many people would prefer a little ‘real food’ rather than a ‘milk shake’), but for me it’s the answer, at least for now.

But no one diet or WOL will ever ‘fit all’.

Good luck to every-one in finding a way which suits them.

From a finally happy, and getting SlimmerSylv!

Hi Fran

So nice to see you back, I thought that something must be wrong. So sorry to hear that you have been ill :((

No I wouldn’t recommend losing weight like that.

I shall look at the Paelo diet, although I am quite happy with what I am doing. I am losing weight and don’t want to rock the boat.

Nice to know you were lurking. Good luck with whatever you try though Fran. The FBD is working for me (too well) read below

Hi Debbie

Nice to hear from you again. You did brilliantly and lost weight really quickly I know exactly what you mean about lose skin. I have too much fat to have lose skin at the moment. I think that averages out at about 2.5lbs a week. I would ideally like to have 1/2 lb a week. I’m losing quicker than that at the moment as I am on FBD. I am a little concerned at wont be doing it again for some time when I finish as it is coming off too quickly. Not a problem that I have had before.

I know people will probably think I am crazy but too quickly worries me more than not quick enough. Between 4-7 a month was my target. That I consider a healthy loss. I am really sorry to the people who are not losing as it is really annoying for them to see this when they are really trying.

So sorry you have fallen off of the wagon, just get back ion and back to routine, you may be surprised (in a nice way) of how much you have put on.

The one thing is that you can have a starting point again. Don’t feel sorry for yourself as this will lead to comfort eating/drinking……and back you go on that wrong road which maybe led to the extra weight in the beginning.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Your sister is doing brilliantly btw.

Hi sylv

Nice to see you here. Sorry it doesn’t seem to have worked for you. I know some people find it really hard. I am glad you have found something that helps. Maybe when you have lost the weight for the wedding you can change back to 6:1 for the fantastic health benefits.

You also see the need to tailoring what you eat to non fast days which many people don’t. This is why so many people fail or lose so much less than they want to. You can’t eat anything you want. When you get to goal weight obviously you can eat more or things that you wat to but still within reason.

Have a good day everybody who is fasting and those who aren’t.

Ginette

Ginette

Hi Ginette – thanks for the comments.

I have a little question. Does it really matter (I mean is there any evidence for) if we lose the weight fast or slow, regarding loose skin? At our age (I am assuming 50 or so onwards) our skin has lost a lot of it’s elasticity and however we lose the weight, if it has been stretched tight for a long time, it will surely be baggy (yeuck what a term!) when it no longer has so much to cover? Hopefully it WILL shrink a bit over time . . . .

Thoughts anyone?

SlimmerSylv

Hi Sylv

In all of the things I have read it does seem to mention that losing it slowly is better.

Here are a couple of links.

http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/ways-to-tighten-skin-after-weight-loss/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/239454-how-to-naturally-tighten-skin-after-weight-loss/

Just type the question into Google and you will find lots of information.

Water definetly helps apparently but as it is good for us this is good as well.

Ginette

Hi Sylv

There are also problems associated with loose skin. Namely fungal infections. These can be really painful I have seen. Not on myself but on other people. Here are another couple of articles, one outlining problems and the next talking about a good amounts to lose.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2061579/Distressing-skin-problems-The-downside-losing-weight-tells-about.html

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-avoid-having-loose-skin-after-losing-weight.html#b

Those of you losing 1/2lbs a week this is the reccomended amount.

I found these interesting and reading them I am quite happy that this is the amount I have chosen.

Ginette

Hi

Thanks again Ginette for all the links.

Having read the articles I have concluded that its another ‘personal thing’.

Depending on your skin’s elasticity when you start, and every-one’s is different, will be the main deciding factor on whether or not we get wrinkly/ baggy skin whilst and after losing weight, and although there may be some things we can do to help a little bit, I do believe if you’re going to get it, you are going to get it, to a large extent.

As one report said: Although the 35-year-old lost the weight gradually, she was left even more unhappy about her body because of a mass of excess skin.

So, she wasn’t very old AND she lost it gradually.

I know all these reports are purely anecdotal and some sound research would be helpful, but again – horses for courses – if you want to lose slowly and have a choice) do it, if you want to lose quicker (and have a choice) do that!

Good luck all!

Hi

Still reading away! There appear to be very few clinal trials or real research on this. Found the below, not about loose skin, but interesting all the same, regarding losing weight fast or slow.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/theres-no-best-way-lose-weight-be-it-slow-or-fast-its-maintaining-weight-loss-over-307250

Personally, for me, it can’t go fast enough!! Ha ha.

All the best!

Hi Sylv

As you say everyone must choose what is right for them.

I had a fast day today and even managed to have about 6 Potato wedges with my meal and came out at 474 calories. What a result!

Hi Nemum

How are you doing.

I won’t be here until tomorrow evening as I have an early start and a long day out. So I’m off to bed now.

Ginette

I have to disagree strongly that this is the same as ‘every other calorie counting diet’! Nowhere does the book/this WOL state that you can eat what you like and eat as badly as you did prior to starting this and expect great loses. It says eat ‘normally’ as in don’t pig out on bad foods lol. There is no such miricle as ‘eat anything you want without watching your calorie intake’ and still lose weight. Eventually you know when you’re eating above and beyound a normal healthy TDEE without counting calories. I don’t count them, I have a rough idea what cals are in foods and the higher the fat/sugar the more cals. I just add my food to My fitness Pal, it tallies it for me. I never over eat and make wise choices so never get even to my reduced TDEE (allowed 1968, give myself 1500 but hardly ever eat beyound 1200 naturally) You have to make changes, and most of us makes those changes naturally because that is what fasting does to the body.

The point of fasting and this is all contained in the first book Michael wrote is that Dr Varday discovered, but she didn’t know the actual reason why, that if you drastically cut your calories on alternating FDS that on the NFDs your appitite is reduced and therefore you will be prone to eat a lot less. It also reduces cravings as it stabilises your insulin ergo again, you will make healthier food choices to fuel your body as you eat purely from real hunger and not the many other reasons stated by us all. If a person continues to eat anything and everything including high carb/sugar foods, wanting regular ‘treats’ then common sense says you will not lose weight. I think the vast majority of people who find fasting hard are mostly (not all) those who continue to want many treats and continue to eat processed foods and a high carb/refined sugar diet.

Although I think your approach to this WOL will help you to lose for the wedding @Slimmers I can’t see how eating a few soups and veg every day for the rest of your life is sustainable. If I have read your post correctly this is how you eat every day, not just FDS? And once you stop eating such low calorie amounts which inevitably you will, you will start to gain. It’s obviously your choice but at some point if you could try doing 5:2 again in the future and trying to get your body used to it, then long term you’ll have more chance of sustaining your loss and maintenance. To me eating like that everyday, packaged foods, even fast produce is no replacement for eating good home made wholesome food and enjoying some normal foods?

As for loose skin. As was said, elasticity is NOT something that can be regained. Your skin will only shrink so much and makes NO difference if you lose the weight fast or slow. This is scientific fact. If you pound the gym doing lots of tummy exercises it’s probably doable depending on age and how big a person is when starting out on weight lose. Most of this stuff is utter rubbish that has been past on for years lol. Only believe things that have been scientifically proven, or disproven. It’s like ‘breakfast is the most important meal of the day’. Utter twoddle, ‘we shouldn’t eat after 8pm’ more old wives tales based in no fact at all. ‘Water helps you lose weight’, no it doesn’t – That’s factual and Dr M has said it many times himself. Water gives you something to do! It takes your mind off real hunger, if you are dehydrated and think you are hungry water will help as it takes your mind off the hunger, and you can kinda fool yourself you feel less hungry, hunger passes naturally if we don’t eat. If you drink a cup of veggie soup your body says… Lovely soup, yum…. I feel full now. Your stomach knows water isn’t food lol and doesn’t respond to it as it does food. We drink it to keep hydrated, have nicer skin, hair etc and to give us a sence of putting something in our tummies but it doesn’t prevent hunger or take it away. That’s why we all advocate miso soup for difficult FDS. πŸ˜‰

Hi Jaye
    I love to read your posts when you are in full flow, Ive been whizzing up and down my tablet trying to work out who was replying to what.

Cmac, keep us up to date, meds could be the cause, not great putting ON weight, but Ill be interested to hear how you tackle it.

Hi Slimmerslv, sounds a bit like, when you’re up to your arse in alligators, you’re on a countdown with a big date to work to, and you are making it work. Best of luck, be interesting to hear how you re-incorporate 5:2, or fingers crossed that you get to target and only need to maintain, 6:1 after the wedding. Ill be interested to hear how you get on.

Now, loose skin – good on y’all for discussing this, as its only a problem as a result of succeeding at 5:2.

Bugger science Jaye, if bumble bees can fly, I’ll have elastic skin, even if I have to sew some elastic across me tum.

5:2, its claimed, doesn’t cost money, well you will all need a stack to buy body creams. I found 27 bottles, not including the olive oil and coconut lard stuff in the kitchen.

Actually didn’t realise I had so many bottles, but they are being used up quickly, and when I slide into bed OH has commented Im often ready for a cross channel swim. Body scrub first of course, then a good going over with a loafah in the shower. Im 58, probably less elastic than some of you youngsters, with a target to lose 35-40% of my weight.

Hula hoops bought, got one for OH, one way to stop him laughing at me, going for the flat tum and abs.

Might end up with a birthday suit 3 sizes too big, but in my head I’m going to look like a Victoria’s Secret model, just a bit shorter.

And I will look lovely in spangly knickers and wings!!!!

Lots of interesting topics discussed recently so I’ll add a few observations.

As I have extremely dry skin my upper arms tend to look wrinkly at the best of times, but I am already noticing the skin texture is much smoother and the moisturising creams are more effective and even a bit more shape. Never been keen on doing toning exercises so never had much upper arm strength or definititon.

From coming out of winter hibernation when chocolate, drinking chocolate, bean and veggie casseroles etc the last few weeks I have had something chocolate on only 3 occasions and my sweet tooth is dormant. If I do need to satisfy a craving / bored moment / hunger pang I eat a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter – yummy, good nutrition and 72 calories. Sometimes need 2 tsp to do the trick.

I believe 5:2 is based on counting calories as we all have a TDEE calculated for our lifestyle but it is the type of calories that counts and the ‘tasty and treat’ foods tend to be the ones that are higher in calories and lower in nutritional value.

I visualise my body as a car and if I put in good fuel then the car will run smoothly and cost less to maintain and taking it out ‘for a run’ ensures all the systems operate properly.

Do any of you have an image or an idea that you can relate to?

Hi GLexinda

Ive iften used the ssme analogy on another thread, though Im an old banger dreaming of becoming a supercar, though if I turn into a stylish classic that will do me.

Hello everyone,

I usually post on another thread but sometimes read through this one and several others.
    This is the first time I post here.. nice to meet all of you (and some old ‘cyber-friends’ here too).

Ann Joyce, I was really curious to read your recent post about psoriasis. I have this too and was wondering since I also have it since this new way of eating has helped your condition as it seems, how long did it take for you to notice improvement? I have it in my nails and have just started suffering from arthritis caused by the condition a couple of months ago (not fun!). Any information you can send my way about your own experience would be much appreciated.

Milena.. I seriously doubt that you can still call yourself an old banger any more.. you are morphing nicely into a classic. I am huffing and puffing way behind you, but cheering you on. You give me hope!

Lol Milena you are so funny xxx sew some elastic in for me too! I’m using bio oil on my tummy and boobs lol. The rest I cover in coconut oil jet before bed and right after my morning shower. Galax I was finding my arms and neck were looking a bit wrinkly too. After plenty of scrubbing and moisturising it’s looking so much nicer and smooth. I think when we lose weight even though we try to drink lots our skin can still get extra dry.

Milena I was answering the comment ‘this will turn into the same as every other calorie counting diet if you count calorie’ or words to that effect. most of us count calorie either most of the time, some of the time or all the time. Otherwise how would any of us know we were keeping under our TDEE. I know we all had reduced appetites but whatever way you choose to lose weight you have to watch calories and make good food choices hence my ramble πŸ˜‰

Galex I liked your post and agree with it! I Visulise my body as fitter, slimmer, smaller than it is lol in the hopes that’s where I’m heading but also think of it like a car too…. Can I be a white 3 door sports turbo Astra? I’m picking my brand new one up in 16 days…. Im so happy I’ll be 3 stone lighter when I step in it from when I ordered it lol.

Time I was asleep, thought Ginette might have popped in before bed. Nice TDEE today, 1250 cals. And considering I took my Aunt out for brunch and we ate an English breakfast, minus the toast and poached egg for me and went out for dinner with the family for my sisters birthday. I had a mini chicken ceaser salad 405 cals (had the dressing on the side and used 2 tablespoons so might have been less) for dinner and drank soda water!

Ive walked my skinny little legs off the last two day! Of course felt a bit better, done too much and now knee is throbbing like a cartoon character that just hit its thumb with a hammer lol. I’ll rest it tomorrow.

Night all

Jaye πŸ™‚

Hi all

found yet another jar – spa mud, I’m supposed to run on ‘affected areas’ and leave it on for twenty or thirty minutes then shower. Slapping this stuff on and either standing around in the bathroom, or walking around looking like a naked stig of the dump doesn’t thrill me, but I’ll have a go at the weekend. Might scare the neighbours though.

Hi Jaye, as you know I’m an avid calorie counter and I really restrict calories. There are many though for whom counting calories turns 5:2 into “the same as every other calorie counting diet”. A lot refuse to contemplate calorie counting on NFDs. Must say I think that is the better way. Might be odd to hear this coming from a calorie-counter, but long-term, I think it’s the way to go.

I tootle along most weeks doing two or three fasts and a couple of semi-fasts, at the moment it’s working, but I am concerned about whether it is sustainable. Might be – no one is making me restrict but myself. Sunday, because I had a meltdown at the thought of eating veggies, became a fast day, Monday I fasted as usual. Tuesday and Wednesday, a fair bit under 1000 calories, Thursday as fast day, just two bowls of cereal and a slice of melon. Today half a scone and and 2 slices of bread, one with ham, one with eggs – and prawns but I left the prawns.

None of it intentionally, except Monday and Thursday fast days. And prety much what I’ve been doing for many weeks. And not sustainable.

Suits me to carry on while it’s not a chore, and I have a heap of weight to lose. But I’m convinced eating mindfully but not counting makes this a way of life, and not a diet.

But the huge number of variations in tackling 5:2 together with some inspiring successes, demonstrate to me that everyone can find a way to make it work for them.

So we might agree or disagree with the way someone tackles 5:2, but we have to respect everyone’s method, and accept with 5:2 there is more than one way. And realising that we can all find a way that’s works is why this isn’t like every other diet.

Profound eh???

Hi Jaye

Going back to your post of the 14th. Boy do you come over strongly sometimes! There is encouraging people and helping them but your post was enough to frighten them off. I know you are passionate about what you believe but I think you need to temper this with understanding and be gentler with people. Sometimes people can think I am a bit so a pushover and maybe I am but I hope through encouragement people will shine through.

We all do things that we shouldn’t as part of human nature, hence falling off the rails and climbing back on. Don’t let this deter you it will get less and lass and we will learn to recover quickly – the guilt of our own stupidity can make us learn quickly.

If we don’t learn quickly we will dissapear from the forum. If we are still here we are still trying. Learn to bounce back, life is about lessons and hopefully we can learn many along this road, long for some of us shorter for others but all as valid as one another.

Good on you Milena, I will buy you the elastic if you still need it on completion of this journey.

I have a health trainer, he asks me to set the targets for myself and compliments me on well I have done, even if I am did appointed with it. I haven’t really been disappointed apart from over the Christmad oeriod and a little over the Easter period. In both of these times I did lose, so really a result there, a reminder though that you can go too mad. I am really pleased I never gained though.

I didn’t start 5:2 until well into January this year.

I am still on track to lose what I wanted to be my minimum weight loss. 4/5lb a month. For this I am really pleased. Sometimes I have lost a little more, but never less. This was my target and I try to set releasing targets. 4-7 was my target on FBD this is my 4th week, but I know I have already exceeded this.

Hi Galexinda

Yes, definetly out tastes change which is a good thing. I am looking forward to nice food today. I like the car analogy. No I don’t have one but I know my body responds better when I feed it well. Healthier foods make me feel better, but I also enjoy the odd treat. I think we all need to get the balance right for us.

Salma

I have noticed that my skin is getting better. I am sure it helps. Psoriasis is so painful. My grandfather had it as was told to swim in the sea as often as he could. I worked with someone who had it literally all over his body as really depressed him as it also gave him lack of sleep a part from pain, itching and low self esteem. I remember forwarding a line to an article I read to someone else to give to him. I will see if I can find it.

Hi Jaye

I was so exhausted after getting up at 5am after 3 1/2 hours sleep I was almost driving with cross eyes on the way to my fist lift, luckily only 10 mins away. I had a long day with lots of travelling that 15 mins of coming in the door I put myself to bed. I had 12 hours last night almost unheard of!! I really would have liked to check the forum, but phone was on silent all day and I really hadn’t even the energy to give my cats a bit of time. This is normally my priority. They have me all day today as I am having a lazy day.

The food was delicious I have given a full description on Mid Fifties thread.

Hi again Milena

Oh dear that doesn’t sound pleasant. Well worth a try I suppose, for you of course, not something I fancy.

I am only strictly counting calories on FBD apart from yesterday. To me they can be a bit like a satnav. If you use one all of the time you become reliant upon them. I use them if I an going somewhere I don’t know. I will look at a map first and see which would be the best route to take and then write notes which I may not even take to look at. I think the fact of writing them for me helps me remember. I then take a satnav and may decide to use it at some point in the journey and often use it when I have reached the outskirts of a ciy as navigating a city and one way systems can be a minefield.

This is how I I think of calories. Using them for a short wile at the gin being helps you to learn and have an awareness of what calories are in what. Then I keep a general idea in my head and look at them for an unknown or unusual item. I also keep an eye on sugar contend and try to choose lower sugar/salt options.

Salt because of blood pressure sugar as it is really not good for health and I want to cut down. I also look at carbs, not because I want to avoid them entirely but want to be aware. Of course there are good carbs line the one in vegetables and fruit. I eat more vegetables but always a little fruit as well.

I hope not to be excessive apart from on rare occasions, but from time to time I think everybody should reacquaint themselves with calories. After FBD I shall go back to keeping an occasional eye on calories. It has been a really useful lesson for me and taught me a lot by counting them.

I think everybody must choose for themselves, although if you are not losing weight there is 99% of the time a really good reason. Often you are eating more calories than you burn.

Sorry rambled on a bit………. I agree that eating mindfully is the way forward.

It feels nice to be back.

Ginette

Hi Milena
    Profound indeed! And I completely agree. Respect!

Hi JayeGirl
    Must say I was a bit surprised and hurt at your ‘rant’ as you call it. You say that you strongly disagree with this being a calorie controlled diet, then immediately go on to say that of course you must count calories.

I didn’t say this was simply ‘like every other calorie counting diet’ as you accuse me of. I said:
    ” that having to fast and also restrict greatly what you eat on non-fast days, calorie counting all the time, is really just any calorie controlled diet, with a few lower and higher days. And that, I find very, very difficult to do.”

I also went on to say:

I also agree with the others that you DO need to restrict, not only on fast days, but all the time for this to work (for me anyway). And if you can manage and enjoy that, then it DOES work, albeit slowly, (again only my own experience).”

So I don’t understand why my comments obviously got to you.

I have been on countless calorie counting diets – and I DO find them very hard. I find myself thinking about food all the time, either weighing it, measuring it, counting it, shopping for it, cooking it, freezing it, working out the calories in everything new and in different size portions, planning meals for me, planning meals for my family, then eating a little bit of something which rarely makes me feel satiated.

Using foodpacks, as a temporary measure, to simplify things and ensure I reduce my calorie intake sufficiently, without all that hassle, is working for me, right now. I also said that once I have got down to my desired weight I will try the 5:2 again to maintain.

Your comments that : “I think the vast majority of people who find fasting hard are mostly (not all) those who continue to want many treats and continue to eat processed foods and a high carb/refined sugar diet.” I find quite disrespectiful to be honest and not only to me, but to every-one who does not find this WOL really easy. I, for one, certainly have not been eating those foods for a long long time, way before I started on the Fast Diet.

And your remarks: “Although I think your approach to this WOL will help you to lose for the wedding @Slimmers (didn’t even check my name) I can’t see how eating a few soups and veg every day for the rest of your life is sustainable.” Those comments are not grounded in any fact at all. I never said I would do this forever. Merely to get me to my goal for an event which is extremely important to me, in time to buy an outfit.

So Jaye, I would ask you to please read posts more carefully, then think twice before you write off such a ‘rant’ at people who are only doing their best to find their way.

There are many ways to live with the Fast Diet and I hope every-one has success in making it work for them.

Have a good weekend all.

Slimmersylv.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,851 through 4,900 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.