HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,801 through 4,850 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi CMac

Well I am so pleased that there was nothing to find but bemused to understand what you aren’t losing. I really suggest counting for a week to see if you are overestimating anywhere. I eat up to my goal weight TDEE. I am normally a lot short of this since I have been on the fast beach diet.

In case you didn’t know Audrey, Milena, Jaye and myself are on it. I did it to keep Milena company and Jaye joined us. It is basically 5:2 but no nice treats. ie: chocolate, wine, cake etc.

It has really changed my weight loss, as I had a really slow couple of weeks over Easter, I think you ca n guess why…… I lost half a pound on each of those weeks. Then joined fast beach for 6 weeks and so far have completed two first week 3lb and second 5lb. A bit much for my liking as I don’t want to have lots of loose skin.

Anyway back to you CMac. Give that a go and see what tge result is. Or come on the fast beach thread with us.

Ginette

Hi Nemum

What’s your news?

Ginette

Ginnette,
    I have put the last week behind me, and woke up this morning really pleased it was fast day, how strange am I?
    Been excellent, feel fantastic and still have 200 left for tea, just the way I like it.
    Bring it on!
    L

Hi Nemum

That is really GREAT. I feel so pleased for you. Your perseverance has paid off. Yes it’s a strange thing to look forward to fast days. It happens to a lot of us.

Carry on the good work.

I’m going to post a link to a thread I started some time ago. I have just put some info there for people starting out. It might be useful to you.

I really am so pleased for you.

Ginette

Thank you I’ll have a read of that later.
    How are you today Ginette, how much are you hoping to lose?
    I’m off to make another batch of 100 calorie soups for the freezer, it’s been fab when I’m fasting on a work day.
    let’s hope I lose something soon, and i mean other than my car keys.
    L

Hi Nemum

I’m fine just a meal out. I had a £30 voucher to use up. Meal was lovely even had a dessert, a small one. I skipped the cappuccino though. I didn’t want to go too mad.

I have always hoped that I would lose at least 4lb a month. That has worked well for me. I sometimes lose more and then I’m really pleased. Due to overindulgence at Easter and only losing 1/2 a pound two weeks to the trot, I joined a friend on the fast beach diet. Have lost a lot on that for two weeks but I have cut out all treats a part from one meal a week. I have lost 8lb in two weeks. It would be nice to lose 2lbs this week.

I did start exercising after three weeks. Only about an hor a week. Now it is about a hour and a half a week. This is to tone me up as I don’t want to get flabby.

You sound really into this now. Well done.

Ginette

Since 19th January have lost 26 lbs gone from 10st 7lbs to 8st 9lbs kept with it this works.

Hi Plumb

Well done a brilliant achievement. Well that heartens me that approaching my goal weight I may still lose more quickly than I imagined. It’s nice to hear from you. It’s really good for all the people just starting out as well.

Are you on maintenance now? Where are you based, I am in the south of England.

Ginette

Plumb
    26lb – well done!
    There is hope for all of us.
    Are you calorie counting on your nfd? I think that’s what I meed to do more of.
    Good on ya.
    L

Hi ladies,
    my what a healthy lot we are!

Plum well done on a fantastic weight loss I am at 21 lbs weight loss since January but still have 20 lbs to go.

Ginnett

This fast beach diet sounds good can you talk me through it.

NeMum,

I made a bolognese sauce yesterday with turkey mince in the slow coojer it worked out at 115 kcal per portion I put it with some bare noodles and my meal came in at less than 200. What sort of soups do you make? I like pea and ham.

Keep in touch have a good weekend.

Audrey

So encouraging to read all your posts – I’m still doing well at the end of the second week but anticipating the dreaded ‘plateau effect’ to kick in soon. Being short and sedentary does have its disadvantages.

SW 139 CW 133.8 GW 125

Galexinda
    I am 5 ft 2 and suffer from arthritis in spine, I am still losing 1 lb or so a week and have now lost one and half stone since new year.
    Just keep on doing what you are doing and it does work, maybe slow but it does work!

Just believe if it works for others it will work for me! Shout out if you need help or encouragement.

Audrey

Hi all and happy weekend.

I’ve not posted in this thread for a little while. @Galax you are miles away from any plateau! You have only just started and a plateau tends to come from eating more. If you eat less than your reduced TDEE you will lose weight. It’s basic maths, calories in verses calories out. So don’t mess with your head space thinking about things that aren’t going to happen. Keep putting in the good work and you will continue to lose (smile).
    I am sedentary and only 5’4 but height has nothing to do with losing weight. Nor really does exercise. Less food for weight loss, more health for exercise, not everyone who exercises is slim or loses weight from it.

Audrey nice to see you back (smile) the fast beach diet is 6 week intensive/boot camp version of the fast diet. Basically you cut out alcohol and all treats, keep your TDEE well under, stick 100% to your 500 cals on FDS, count calories on NFDs. It’s good to do that every now and then to establish again what a real tbsp measurement is lol makes you aware of how measuring by eye and guessing can lead to over eating. And add some HIT exercises 3 times a week. I haven’t been able to do the exercises, tried it the first day and it made my knee incredably sore for 2 weeks. I’ve found some great ‘chair’ workouts though and bought a full muscle resistance kit and sent for an exercise ball lol. So I’ve been doing muscle strengthening and building. Actually it’s helped my knee and back, I’m feeling more agile at the end of my first week! So that’s it in a nutshell. I’ve only actually had to give up alcohol and add the exercise as I do the rest anyway. Ginette has been breezing through it and Milena.

Plumb, well done, it’s fantastic to hear a good story like that. Have you started maintenance?

Well I have lost 40lbs now in 12 weeks, started 16th February, I’m super pleased with that! It’s funny, when you start off as big as me, 19 stone 2lbs – 268lbs it takes a while to really notice your loss. For me it was this week. Suddenly getting into a couple of short dresses I wear with leggings and boots that I have hardly worn as they barely fit when aI bought them lol. Going shopping and buying 24s instead of 28s. Looking in the mirror and taking pics I can see a huge difference in my whole body. Face is a lot smaller, although I think my chins are the same my sisters assure my they are not lol. Hips, tummy, midriff, back, chest, bust are way smaller! Inches are coming off everywhere. Sadly my stick legs and slim arms are smaller too lol. But all in all it’s great. My back doesn’t hurt to stand and walk for short periods. My knee had been terrible but with this last half a stone I basically lost in the last 2.5 weeks, that’s markably improved.

I’m still eating out 3 times a week, I stay well under my TDEE which is 1960 but I have set to 1500. I actually eat around 1000 if I’m not eating out, but can still keep it that way even eating out if I choose well and eat very low cal for lunch. I only eat 2 meals and don’t snack. I still have a skinny cappuccino most days. I’ve stopped drinking glasses of milk as I just love cold skim milk but drank 1-2 pints a day before. Now I just have it in my cappuccino on NFDs instead which I love and see this as a treat but it’s not naughty at 105 cals and the sugar in the milk doesn’t cause any cravings or crashes. I guess it’s all about having something you enjoy without the sugar rush or spoiling your calorie intake. Coffees are great for this. Lattes are good but more calorific because obviously theres a lot more milk. And stick to skinny!

I found in the begining especially finding a none sugary food or drink that you love and can be your ‘goto food’ for difficult times without breaking the calorie bank. My lunch is often 1tbsp of peanut butter (really good oils) spread on a banana, sometimes on a slice of low GI bread. I used to have 2 slices but that was too much carb to protien ratio so often don’t have the bread to keep it less

Happy Saturday, good luck fasters, my 3 are done for the week

Jaye 🙂

Hi Audrey

I have posted the answer on another thread. I’m sure you will find it. It is with a link to the planner for FBD. There is a lot of information on the last page of this.

Well I lost 1lb. As I lost 5lb last week it has balanced itself out. 9lb in three weeks is good just for forgoing treats and adding another fast day. Although remember I have loads to lose, so this might be different than those of you with only two stone or so. I have just under 6 stone to lose to be at a comfortable weigt. Maybe 7 to be at an ideal weight. But for now I am heading for comfortable as that is far enough away.

I feel like I have lost but we will hold off measuring until the end of FBD. That is in three weeks time.

How are you all doing.

Ginette

Thanks for the encouragement and advice audreyg and Jayegirl. Won’t think about a possible plateau – I’ll just keep going on a day to day basis. Luckily I only had to lose 13lbs so I’m pleased with the fantastic start, but appreciate I’ve got to be very careful as one or two large meals will put on the weight it has taken me a fortnight to lose!

Plumb – that’s a fantastic achievement – well done!

Hi Galexinda

Yes sorry I missed your post. I think you are expecting plateau too soon. You sound as if you are doing well. Jut carry on how you are going.

I am like Jaye only eat lunch and dinner most days. Only an evening meal on a fast day with maybe a bit of melon lunch time.

It has worked for me, although I appreciate you have much less to lose.

Plod away you will get there.

Ginette

These are whole day meal plans, again from woman magazine.

This may really help people new to 5:2 if you are stuck for ideas.

http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/food/500-calorie-meal-plans-52-diet/

Plenty to choose from.

Ginette

Thanks Bella

Here is lots….and I mean lots of info for anyone interested in 5:2 and has or hasn’t read the book. Lots of pages 200 +. So maybe good for those just starting or those who want to remind themselves. Includes recipes. I don’t know what they are like though.

Also good for the lurkers. Come on in and join us. I have only glanced at the first few pages, but I will save it for later.

http://75.127.114.162/~degustin/52diet/The_5_2_Diet_Recipe_Book.pdf

Ginette

Has anyone heard from fran? Not heard from her since my return, if you are about fran I hope you are well.
    Ginette great thread above, lots of reading material.
    Audrey

Hi Audrey

She is normally on here once a week. She had had some health problems, which I am sure she will tell you about. She doesn’t post as often as she used to but still reads I believe. She will hopefully reply to your post.

Ginette

Thanks ginette
    you and fran were among the first to welcome me to the forum, would not like to think that we had lost her.

Fran hope you are feeling better, know you are missed

Audrey

Audrey

My last batch of soup was spicy tomato and chick pea. Delicious! 100 calories but really filling. I made pea this time but seems a little flat, seasoning may help. What else have you tried?
    L

Oh dear oh dear,

Been on scales put on 2lb 1st time ever, I have spoiled myself since I came home and I feel awful. No one to blame but myself and possibly hubby who bought loads of chocolate which I have eaten!

I am back calorie counting and today is the start again for me, a fast day which includes exercise!

NeMum I have made vegetable, minestrone, pea and ham and chicken, I also have chilli and bolognese sauces made with turkey mince which are all very low calorie. Your tomato soup sounds great can I have the recipe please?

Audrey

I finally unearthed a really old book I bought in a charity shop years ago:
    Eat Fat and Grow Thin
    Basically way back in the 50s they knew starchy carbs was poison to our bodies. But it would hurt western economies round the world too much,to reduce grain production to level needed to tackle western obesity.
    Like cigarettes in the UK – we all know it’s harmful but to not get the taxes from their sale, would cripple our economy.
    I hate being duped but loving the book.
    L

Hi Audrey and Nemum

Nemum

Why don’t you also join the fat bustin Brits thread. I really made a delicious mushroom soup. It wasn’t my choice although I was willing to try. It was much nicer than anticipated and definitely fell into the the health eating category. When I used onions I always soften them a little in the microwave if it requires frying them.

I have a soup make which I use a lot in the winter, but not so much now. It is so easy. Add ingredients and press a button. In 20 mins soup ready and blended. Great for children to use, preparing vegetables and then eating the finished product.

I think I got mine from Robert Dyas.

As long as you count everything in under TDEE that will be fine to eat fat. I have set mine on goal weight and I come in at about 500 calories under that.

Once you get the hang of this maybe in a week or two maybe try looking at this as it will help weight loss. At first if we miss food it is easy to over compensate. Once the 5:2 is in our system and the cravings go it is easier to eat less calories.

You are doing really well. How much do you want to lose? We all adjust don’t we Audrey. A lot of people find the first couple of weeks difficult, but then it seems to fall into place. I have lost a pound this week, but I am happy with that as I lost 5lb last week and 3lb the week before, just np by cutting out treats. This is really what the FBD is. Although I seem to have had a meal off every week. I can really feel as if I have lost it as well.

How are you doing Nemum re weight and measurements?

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    Still nothing lost anywhere, but if the 5:2 Stopped me gaining after the disgraceful few days I had last weekend, then I’m happy.
    I have so much to lose.
    I’m 18.5 stones I would be happy at anything under 14, but delighted to be under 12. I’m in this for the long haul tho so I can be patient. It was the health benefits of fasting that interested me first; Alzheimer s, artritis cancer etc
    Weight loss is added extra.
    L

Hi Nemum

Right you sound as if you have cracked fast days. Now you need to crack non fast days. Also the weight coming off will help your health.

Now start counting calories on non fasting days. Set your limit to what you want to be long term and keep under that. As I said mine comes out on my fitness pal at 1580 so I am normally 4/500 under that. If you cut out treats for the next couple of weeks. That will help you so much. You will gain complete control and feel so much better.

Audrey is cutting out for a week (I think she may do more). This is a great wat to start. Allow yourself a nice meal every week to look forward to. Maybe with a small treat but way under your TDEE. When you get to half term, you will be more in control. Once you start your weight shifting it will carry on.

I truly believe as I have done it myself that cutting out treats works. The weight moves and you stop having cravings. I still have potatoes 2/3 times a week and bread 2/3 times a week. Apart from this no carbs for me.

I never thought I would get below 17.7 stone so easily now I am around 17.4. I know that following my own advice I shall lose more that a lb next week. I would love to see you start losing.

If you cut out treats next week, you can have something nice over half term…..just a little though. Stop thinking of treats as rewards and start thinking about how you are going to treat yourself.

I wish you luck, I have only lost so much through doing this. Audrey are you listening…..

I say this through wanting to help you, always remember that, if I hadn’t done it myself I wouldn’t give this advice. I do normally have treats on 5:2, after FBD I hope to be able to restrict these a little more.

Best of luck. Only you can do this for yourself, it is your choice.

Ginette

Hi NeMum and ginette

I have to agree with everything ginette is saying, I normally work on between 1000 and 1200 kcal for non fast says my tdee is 1570.

I am going back to my old system of weighing everything and writing it down, also trying the FBD for a week will see how I get on.

I am sure if you follow ginette’s advice you won’t go far wrong.

husband is watching football now so I am going to step along to it for the ladt 30 mins!

Audrey

Hi ladies,

I have exercised so much today I have now got more calories left than I started with!

I am hoping that when I weigh in on Wednesday I am back to where I was last week. I am not feeling particularly hungry as yet so am still on liquid only hope this determination lasts the whole week.

Wish me luck please I am hoping to fast Tues and Thurs this week (today is extra day).

Audrey

Hi Audrey

The same happens to me when I exercise on fast days. Tomorrow is my first one of the week. I am going to have some Chinese chicken. I bought it for a change, I love the spicy one but I have had it for weeks on fast days.

I hope I like it.

Nemum

Let us know how you are doing this week as we can support you through it. One thing I thought of make a sugar free jelly and then if you fancy something sweet you can have this with yoghurt. I do this when its hot, lovely and refreshing and really low calorie. It feels like a treat as well.

Good luck.

Ginette

I am 56 and so disappointed about this diet. It was my one last hope of loosing excess weight having struggled with this for a number of years and tried several different diets. I intially lost 3kg in the first month, second month gained 2kg (I thought maybe I was over compensating on my non-fast days, so in my third and fourth month I was very strict on my fast days and very careful about my eating on the other days. 3rd month lost 1kg, 4th month stayed the same. When you get a pathetic result like this it is very hard to stay motivated, so I gave up after that for a few months. I then thought I would give it another go for a month and see what happened. Again strictly followed on my fast days, and careful on my nonfast days. Result 500gm in one month!!! I am disgusted and disheartened and don’t know what I can do next. Can’t imagine having to fast extra days (2 is hard enough). My theory is that this whole diet is based on the assumption that we all need 2,000calories a day to maintain our weight, when in fact some unfortunate people like me only need about 1400 calories a day , so the differece of reducing our calorie intake is not enough to elicit weight loss.(and yes I do exercise, cardio& weights 2 – 3 times a week and always take the stairs etc) I am wondering if there could be some medical reason why this is not happening for me?

Hi Jo90 – I can see you would feel disheartened when you are putting so much effort in and not getting the results you want. Your TDEE is similar to mine so I am guessing you are short. I found to lose the weight I wanted I had to cut my fast day calorie allowance to 350 calories and I also regularly add in a liquids only day to really boost my weight loss. It works for me, you could give it a try. Good Luck!

Weigh day today for me. I am back to 8 stone something!! 8 stone 13lbs!!! Even though I was led astray yesterday, photos on FB.

Good luck with your weigh in on Wednesday Audrey. Ginette, you are doing so well!

Fast day today, even though it is the dreaded solicitors appointment for the Spanish tax declaration. Liquids only tomorrow.

Happy fasting everyone!

Ginette,
    Thank you so much fo your continued advice. Really appreciate it.
    Today is fast day!
    Yippee!
    Going to try to make it low carbs aswell.
    L

Hi Jo90

What a good name! Ok I have to say, some people struggle to get started and the weight loss doesn’t happen.

There are a few things.

Do you weigh and measure everything. You need to if it isn’t working for you. I think you may be underestimation the calories you take in. This is food and drink and anything you cook in. Olive oil may be good for you but it is full of calories. Count it if up you use it or anything similar. Do you count milk in drinks?

I started losing at the beginning one of the lucky ones you may think, but I had 8 stone to lose probably 9 to be at an ideal weight for me.

I had another stone more to lose, but I lost this by just cutting back all the foods that weren’t good for me in the 6 months before I started. With this type of cutting back it is ok for a while, but I knew I would drift back into my old ways.

Yes, like many people on this site I have tried and failed on many diets in the past.

I have been doing this since 8/10th January. I started at the end of the week as I didn’t dare wait for Monday as that would bring some excuse……

I have lost nearly 2 stone in that time. Not bad as I still enjoy life.

There is an app My Fitness Pal. I am on the FBD at the moment. That is Fast Beach Diet. I have just finished my 3rd week and have 3 more to go.

I did this as I had a couple of weeks at Easter where I lost 1/2 lb. an obvious reason……. So I wanted to get back to basics and at least lose 1lb a week. A forum friend on another thread was doing FBD with nobody on the forum threads we were on joining her. So I did. I had reservations as it is stricter.

It is basically 5:2 without treats. Hard for me. However I wanted to get back to at least 1lb a week and this is meant to readjust your calorie intake and kickstart you.

I found it much easier than I imagined, I stopped eating treats, although I have had one day out where I had a dessert as I had to use a voucher up……only a small one. I have lost 9lb in three weeks so I am really pleased with that.

After a week it was easy. I calorie count everything, I didn’t before, just most things. This seemed as if it would be a chore at first, but I persevered….it was actually easy. Nothing I eat if not counted. Sone days I have two Brazil nuts these are weighed and counted, they actually are high in calories about 50 calories. It is reminding me of what I have eaten and making me aware, all too easy to forget a little thing like this.

It makes you far more aware of calories in everything and I think at the end of this 6 weeks I will not need to calorie count everything.

If you cut out treats, alcohol, chocolate, cakes and pastries. It will soon knock off calories. I come out at just over a 1000 a day. I don’t try to eat so few, it just happens. No treats you see!

Your body educates you to what you want to eat, this changes so much. I no longer need carbohydrates, I do have a sandwich about three times a week, always with Granary or wholemeal, although this was my choice pre 5:2. I only eat carbs with an evening meal about 2/3 times a week. I have added a third fast day on week 2 and 3 of FBD only because I have had a large meal the day before this third day on both weeks….it just happened, no effort needed.

I have never drank fizzy drinks and they say that even diet ones don’t change your need for carbs. I have a pint of water with a touch of squash, just to flavour the water. You can hardly see the colour I use so little.

I enjoy all that I eat and feel that I eat enough. I am always satisfied at the end of a meal. I went out Thursday and struggled a little Friday – my theory is that it was because I at more carbs the evening before. They really Stoke your need for them.

I have some beginners advice on another thread I started some while ago.

Of course we are all free to eat what we want, this may seem strict. I can honestly tell you that I are a diet full of junk before. Yes I enjoyed it but it made my weight more. I haven’t TRIED to change too much on this, it has just happened as described above. The fist week on 5:2 was a struggle, the second was easier and by the third I’d cracked it. My bodie tells me what it needs and when it needs it.

I don’t eat breakfast any more. I never really enjoyed it. You don’t have to eat breakfast. I have lunch about 2.30/3 on fast days I just drink tea (milk counted) and then a nice dinner in the evening. Other days I have late lunch and dinner. This is right for me. Dinner I have late as well between 7.30 and 9. I know people tell you not to skip breakfast and not to eat late…..I do both. It works fine for me. I sleep late and I don’t get munchies in the evening, maybe a youghurt of piece of fruit.

As Michael Mosley said, work out the best time of eating for you. These are the best times.

Here is a link to my thread.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-10-week-weight-loss-week-by-week/#post-90205

I take it that you are a female. Which country do you live in? I live in the south of England.

I hope this helps. Sorry, but I sometimes write long posts.

Ginette

Hi Nemum

Well done are you counting? It is a fast day for me as well.

Ginette

Hi Applepie

Good luck with the solicitor.

Ginette

Morning ginette

I had a really strict day yesterday and have managed to lose 1 of the pesky pounds I had put on.

I have spent a good hr working out on the wii today do am hoping the other lb will come off too!

Have a good day today, fast day for me tomorrow

Audrey

Well done Audrey

Ginette

Hi Jo90

The 2000 calories per day is just a generalised amount for women and I think many of us would actually put on weight if we aimed for that daily target.
    My TDEE is calculated at just over 1300 calories. I use Calorie Count to record everything I eat and drink – yes it’s a bit tedious weighing and measuring everything, but I have had a few surprises – good and bad – about how many calories certain items contain. It’s a case of you can eat what you like but not necessarily how much and willpower/motivation does play a very important part in food choices. So far I have lost just over 5lb in two weeks and have another 5lb to go to my target (doctor recommended) weight. I am a sedentary 5’2” female so exercise per se isn’t much of an influence in my case.

Well I’m very happy to say that I’m maintaining my 2 stone weight loss.
    I’m 5’11” tall and now weigh 11 stone 9 pound at my heaviest. I was 13 stone 9 !
    At 51 I’m happy with my shape. A size 14 but being tall people think I’m a 12. Bonus !
    Loving wearing my summer clothes. Stick at it ladies. I started the diet on the 5th of January and had lost my 2 stone in Two and a half months. So it works.
    I went away with my husband and lots of friends for 4 days. We ate like pigs and drank like fishes. I couldn’t believe I had put on 7 pound when we got home.
    I think my body just grabbed all the extra calories. So I got back on track on the Sunday. Did a fast Monday , Wednesday , and Friday . Fasted on the Monday and did my weigh in on the Tuesday morning as usual . My 7 lb was gone. Wooopeee. This is a lifestyle choice for me now. I’m loving the complements much more than all the food and treats I used to covet . I still allow myself either a meal out or a takeaway on a Saturday night. Plus 1 sometimes 2 bottles of prosecco a week. Plus I do cheat now and again.
    It’s my fast day today. I actually enjoy them now. Ladies please google kefir. I swear by it. I make my own milk kefir. I have a glass instead of breakfast. Eat lunch at 1 pm my last meal is before 7 pm . So I only eat within a 7 hour window. Giving my body an 18 hour fast overnight. I find it kickstarts my body into burning my fat. Then I have a glass of kefir before bed. Look at the intermittent 5/2 fast diet.

Really good luck NEMum, hope your fast day is going well. I’m finding ginger green tea a real help – hot and comforting, tasty, no calories.

For myself I’m having a bit of a re-think. My annoying gastric symptoms, when put together with my diagnosis of B12 deficiency and inability to lose weight no matter what, suggest a problem with gluten. Sure enough a few days off the gluten and hey presto, much reduced tummy ache etc. I’ll go back to the doctor for more blood tests, just in case of coeliac. I may be about to become the world’s least welcome dinner guest!

I’m sticking with the 5:2 because I still believe it’s good for me, in general, but the overall message on the forum (just eat less … and less … and less) puts this regime straight back into the territory of regular dieting for me. That’s something I finally left behind after years of, well, everything that diets bring. My weight was on a fairly even keel until I took up the 5:2 as a cancer-preventing & general health strategy and it was only after I’d been on it for months and my weight started to creep up that I started posting here to find out if others had similar experiences.

So, my message is, it’s not always best to just keep on keeping on hoping it will work. If you need to lose weight AND you’ve done an honest and realistic job of balancing energy in and out, and it’s REALLY not working, it might be worth looking elsewhere.

Cmac,
    go to your Dr and get tested for coeliac disease, and also wheat and gluten allergies, this may be why you are not losing weight even whilst sticking to 5 2.

My daughter had a serious wheat allergy and her size ballooned until she was diagnosed, now with a diet suited to her she is a healthy English size 12.

Good luck for the future I hope you get your problems sorted out soon.

Audrey

Hi everyone

I’m an advocate of keeping on keeping on, and eat less and less. I even think the dreaded ‘D’ word has to be part of the equation.

I began 5:2, as many do, going down the 2000/500 calories route, didn’t lose anything in the first three weeks, which I put down to needing to stop weight gain before weight loss, maybe that’s a bit of it, but mainly 2000/500 just doesn’t work for me.

I’ve 5 stone to lose. My TDEE is 1600. Therefore if I do 2000 I’m overeating, by 25%. 5:2 works basically by restricting you to 80% of your normal.

2000 cals on NFDs meant 80% of 125%.

= 100%.

= no weight lost.

Major rethink!

Michael and Mimi were never grossly overweight. In fact Mimi was 25bmi.

Michael and Mimi’s ‘normal’ might I guess, was not mine. Overeating, for whatever reason, isn’t normal.

Which means a fatty like me had to rethink things. And to follow the advice on the forum, but to find the advice that works.

I stay below TDEE, which is low because I’m old, short and do little exercise, I stay below my interim target TDEE, and I try to stay below my ultimate target TDEE, in the hope that I get there, I might be better prepared.

I do complete fasts, I do 5:2 and 4:3 and I do a little exercise. Heck, I’ve done 2:5 a couple of times.

My latest extra kick is Fast Beach Diet, for a few weeks NO treats NO alcohol LOW carbs, MORE exercise.

If it sounds like a diet, it is. I eat much less, though if you told me I HAD to eat less every day, I might not be keen.

I don’t cheat – though if you said I can’t, I would be the first to cheat.

I restrict my diet, white bread and pasta are a distant memory. I you said I can’t have them, I would.

So, for me, 2000/500 doesn’t work, TDEE does, but it’s slow. Eating ‘normal’ on NFDS, that’s for maintenance.

I just keep on keeping on.

For me – it’s working. Tweeking and changing. Eating nothing some days – now that was scary. The first time. Now? Normal.

Nearly halfway there.

There may be other options than 5:2, I doubt that there are better options though. And it’s not a one size fits all – you have to find the 5:2 which works for you.

It is hard, but it’s not impossible. And I’m beginning to realise that I don’t actually need much food, and I beginning to think that frankly nothing tastes as good as thin feels, especially to a gal who knows how fat feels.

I hope everyone on this journey comes to realise they can get there, if they really really want to, as much as I want to.

I hope I don’t sound preachy, but I’m not sure there are other options.

Milena, I just LOVE your post above! I think you summed up exactly how a lot of us feel! And thank you for that.

Milena,
    Loved your post, thank you for taking the time.
    I am still finding my way, as 4 weeks in, 90lb to lose and nothing lost (yet).
    But I feel I’ve cracked fast days, and love it.
    I’m going down the 3 small meals a day route, today I had
    Breakfast – 2 scrambled eggs
    Lunch – 100 calorie soup (home made)
    Dinner – Oven baked chicken with lemon, clove and chilli and coleslaw (homemade)
    With lots of water and a few herbal teas.
    I was hoping for some calories spare for a low cal hot choc sachet for later, but the piece of chicken weighed more than expected so I opted for more chicken.
    Exactly 500.

Currently I’m doing Mon and Thurs fasts, but think I may add an extra one and do Mon, Wed and Fri, try to kick start my weight loss.

Have found a tape measure now, so will measure myself to see if it’s coming off somewhere.

Happy health to you all
    L

Hi. NEmum

Thanks, was hoping it didn’t come over as smug, it’s not easy!

Well, I think the fast days are the first thing to get your head around, so you are on the right road. What do you do on NFDs?

Milena,

Lovely post

Nemum,

you seem to have it all in place now, I am sure you will soon reap the benefits, I have heard from many people who have successfully lost weight doing 5 2 I don’t see why you won’t.

Audrey

Great post Milena, words of wisdom as always. Same goes for Ginette, so caring.

We survived our Spanish solicitors, great news, we don’t owe anything, in fact we are getting a small refund. Fast day today so we couldn’t celebrate. Tuna salad for tea, very tasty. My OH had brown rice and cheddar cheese cubes with his.

Have a lovely evening everyone. It’s nearly my bedtime, well we are an hour in front.

Hi Applepie

Thank you! Wise – Milena? Not often used in the same sentence!

Well if your buying, I’ll be over!!!! Great news though!

Self assessment is a bit easier hete now for self employed, for some reason stock no longer included, and a rate for a room. So much easier now that we aren’t vat registered.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,801 through 4,850 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.