HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,751 through 4,800 (of 7,330 total)

• Wow there’s an eye opener, they are so easy to eat as well.

Definetly off of my list for a while…….. A really long while. They are not even very satisfying!

Ginette

Ooooh I feel told off now.
    But tomorrow is another day. Just to clarify the ecairs i had were the small caramel chews with choc in middle.
    My body my choice
    L

Hi Nemum

Both Jaye and I are really trying to help you. We really want you to succeed. Me may be over enthusiastic in our advice at times, but the basis of it is all to help.

It may take you a little time to adjust. It took me a while to cut down carbs and sugary treats. This isn’t forever it is just to help your body adjust. I did lose 9 out of 10 of my first weeks and this moved me forward. Once you start to see a loss you will be encouraged and it will keep you motivated.

This is a link to my first weeks.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-10-week-weight-loss-week-by-week/#post-88093

Take the advice how it is meant not as a telling off just an eye opener. I truly wish you success, but only you can choose what to eat.

Please plan ahead build in days that you can have treats so you don’t feel deprived. This shouldn’t be everyday apart from fast days. Cut down the a punt of treats that you are having on these days and you will get there, get strong and you will be rewarded.

Ginette

Jayegirl and Ginette
    I really do appreciate this, I think I need a telling off!
    I’m going to attempt a walk tomorrow and look at calories.
    I need this to work
    Thank you ladies.
    I think I may have given up if it wasn’t for you
    L

Hi nemum where in the north east do you come from? I live in Darlington.

We will keep believing you can do it, if you will believe.

Download the app. You can also put your starting weight in there and add your losses week by week. You will either survive this well and start becoming used to the way of life or dissapear off of the forum. I am hoping you do the first. Don’t let it beat you.

Hi Karen.

Ginette

Hi ginette! I’ve kind of been lurking but not posting on this thread. I’ve been around doing this woe (off and on) since march last year, got down to the weight I wanted for my holiday last June and never quite got back down after it. I’m going on holiday 4 weeks on Tuesday and have 2-3 lbs to lose so close to goal but its going very slowly. I’ve not had loads to lose and at 52 its slow but getting there and hopefully I’ll be where I want to be by the time I go. x

Hi Karen

Well as you say it seems the last pounds are hard to lose. As you know you will manage but maybe more patience is needed.

There is always the fast beach diet for 4 weeks, that should do the trick. Whatever you decide I hope you get there in time for your holiday. It has cured me of my sugar and carb cravings that’s for sure.

Ginette

I’m more or less at goal, just need a wee bit of leeway for the all inclusive at my hotel so I don’t have major amounts to shift when I get home. I’m just going to stay on 5:2 for now and see where I am in a couple of weeks, I’ll decide then whether to stay at 5:2 or go to 4:3 to get rid of the last little bits!

Ginette, that is how I have my drinks but I colour my sparkling water with a tiny splash of unsweetened cranberry juice, it’s lovely! I left “full fat” fizzy drinks behind me years ago but I was still drinking sugar free up to recently. Not anymore.

NEmum, Sugar is an addiction, worse than cocaine, it will take time to come off it. I am in the middle of watching the docu film Fed Up, very interesting, thanks Jaye for the recommendation. I think it is something we should all watch.

Milena, you have been quiet, missed you 🙁

I am going on our local market this morning, in the next street, we are so lucky! then thinking of beach tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Karen

I”m in Eaglescliffe. Lol.
    So you’ll know the perils of a parmo aswell, I had one last night after 3 weeks of 5:2 and being what I thought was quite good but nir losing a thing.
    Today is another day.
    L

NEmum, I used to live in Middleton St George which is nearer still to Eaglescliffe so you’re not far from me and I know exactly what the perils of a Parmo are, very tasty but very calorific I imagine lol! How much are you wanting to lose? Usually the more you have to lose the more you lose in the beginning and the easier it is to lose. If you haven’t already done it have a look at the ‘How it works’ section at the top of this page and work out your TDEE and BMR (try not to overestimate how active you are) and stick to eating between those 2 numbers on non fast days. Look at the weight loss site My fitness Pal which works out the calories in 1000’s of different foods and as long as you stick to around 500 cals on fast days and your TDEE on non fast days you should lose weight. You will probably find that if you’re a lady of that ‘certain age’ (pre/post menopause)you will lose weight slower too unfortunately (probably a hormone thing)and if you’re like me and that ‘certain age’, only 5’4.5 and very small framed, it seems to take forever to lose even a lb but you will get there because I have so try not to give up. Sometimes it’s worth giving 4:3 a go every now and then to kick start weight loss and that’s 4 days eating up to TDEE and 3 days fasting at 500 cals. Once you get into the swing of it you should be fine and the benefits are enormous. Blokes also tend to lose quicker too, probably because their calorie deficit is greater than ours. My hubbie is a good example of that because he lost around 20 lbs last year in about 11 weeks where it took me 12 to lose half a stone! Anyway hope that helps a little bit more, stick with it and let us know how you go. Karen xx

Karen,
    The thing is I have SO much to lose, I am 18.5 stone and 5’9″. A few years a go I lost 3 stone and got down to just under 16 stone (but have now put it all back on) but I thought I looked good at that. Really I would like to be around 12 stone, so 6.5 stones to lose, Oh my just worked that out – 91lb.
    But went for a 3km walk this morning.
    May have another fast day today, i’ve only had 250 calories so far. If I can hold off until tea time, I’ll have a veg stir fry with an egg.
    How much have you lost in total?
    L

hallo preciousbooboo. a lot of methods used to start losing weight. one of which is by using the “blood type diet”.
    with this method you can find out what foods are suitable for your body, what is a good exercise to lose weight and more explanation.
    please visit my site in my profile info for more details. Thanks!

Hi NEmum, I only wanted to lose about half a stone which In lost in 12 weeks last year for my holiday. I put it back on and kind of fell off the wagon but this years holiday is looming (4weeks on Tues) so I’ve been trying to get back down to what I was last year. Ive probably got 2 or 3 lbs to go till goal, not a lot to most people but for me its a struggle. After Monday hubbie and I are going tea total until the holiday (normally I love my red wine but it encourages me to eat naughty stuff) and I’m thinking about trying 30 day shred today in the hope it’ll help too. How are you doing today? I’m not fasting today but have done a 40 minute dog walk and going to attempt 30 day shrwd later.

I found the following article very interesting about the types of hunger, especially as I have very little willpower

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20845434,00.html

On a Fast Day it’s easier to say NO to a treat/temptation as I know I have to be careful what I eat in order to stay within the 500 calorie limit. On other days, before seeing, reaching out and placing the item in my mouth (which can take less than 2 seconds) I now pause and ask myself – Do I really want that? Quite often, I’m not actually hungry after all – it’s because it was there and most times it’s because I’m thirsty.

If I have a treat I try to wait at least three days before I have a similar treat- it’s early days, but it’s working and I am no longer eating without thinking.

In the past 40+ years my weight has only gone down dramatically twice – when I got married and when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Now the menopause is a distant memory I’m slowly trying to reduce my weight by about 12 – 14lbs to enjoy better quality health.

Hi Applepie

I really love the thought of the big tomatoes in those markets. Get an extra one for me. I could just have a whole tomatoe french or Spanish with parsley and dressing for lunch. After reading up on how good rapeseed oil is I think I shall do and get some.

Galexinder

That is is good idea every three days to a treat. Maybe foe NEmum 2/3 times a week will be the way forward for the first couple of weeks.

Nemum

Set yourself a target treats 2/3 times a week. This will give you something to look forward to. It needs to be a treat that is counted and keeps so below your TDEE. But as Karen says you need to get under your TDEE the further you get under your TDEE the more you will lose. Many people on this site calculate their TDEE at goal weigh and use this. Mine was over 2000 but I tried to head for 1700. I used to get to about 1500 but I have lost every week but one week that was in the first 10 weeks.

Last week I did 3 fast days and one really low calorie day and lost 5lb. So far in to 5:2 this is a really good result. I have given up treats completely though for 6 weeks as I am on the fast beach diet, this compliments this as it is written by Mimi Spencer the co author of 5:2. It is basically the 5:2 without treats and a little exercise. I didn’t change to that until 2 weeks ago. I now have 6 stone to go to get into a more comfortable size and then maybe a little more after.

I think in half stone targets. You have to be positive. Up to now you have been learning how to do the fast days, but haven’t managed to do non fast days within TDEE. This is now your goal. But them both together. After a week or two your body will adjust and so will your brain be in more control.

This is the way forward. I am really looking forward to a good week from you next week. Bank holiday shouldn’t interrupt it last week I ate out. This week I am going to eat out. Only one a week and within reason. I like carvers as I can have lots of vegetables there and obviously the rest is nice. I don’t have yourkshire pudding now though…..that is the only concession.

I wish you luck remember when you go off track it is only you it will effect. If you don’t count calories you are tricking yourself. Logical mind has to win over wishful mind and you will then be in control.

Good luck for next week.

Ginette

Ginette – 5lbs is absolutely brilliant this far in!! You usually only get a big drop like that in the first couple of weeks. You star! You deserve a tomato, sending you a cyber one with olive oil and fresh basil, yummy.

I have just been cutting up melon and orange pieces ready for the beach tomorrow. Forecasting 30 degrees. Can’t wait.

Ginette – well done on the 5lb!
    Today I’m counting and staying well away from sugar, exept for my 8 calorie chilli crackers for lunch actually have sugar listed in the ingredients – I thought they tasted good!
    Usually my fast day is Monday, but having it tomorrow, so I can a little bit more lee way for a packed lunch picnic and a day out with the family.
    L

Thank you both Apple pie and Nemum.

My target was 17.7 before 15th May. So well and truly achieved. Just set my next target at 17 stone for whenever I get there.

I was quite shocked I must say although I felt as if I had lost weight. A nice feeling.

What you are preparing sounds delicious apple pie. Glad you have some nice weather. I would hate 30 degrees, I would spend it in an air conditioned room, up to 25 is fine by me. I am near the sea but never go in. We have a stony beach. In France where I go there are sandy beaches. I don’t go there either. Mostly due to the fact that I am far too big for swimming costume.

Maybe when I am 5/6 stones lighter I may be brave enough.

Nemum

You really sound as if you are trying. Well done keep it up. Keep sausage rolls and fried foods out of the picnic. Maybe make a really nice fruit salad with yoghurt on. All these are good foods and you won’t go too mad.

Have a nice picnic and keep up the good work.

Ginette

By the way what is Parmo??

Probably best to google it Ginette! Basically its a dish from the North East of England, teeside area. Flattened chicken breast covered with bechamel sauce and breadcrumbs and smothered with cheese! Its usually served with chips and salad, highly calorific but very tasty.

Hi Karen thanks.

On googling it I found this. I don’t know how close you and Nemum are to this pub. They say that I portions is about 2000 calories but they have adjusted it so that it is now about 700 calories.

Worth a read

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/teesside-parmo-given-low-fat-makeover-3684009

Ginette

Ginette you are a star!
    Will certainly try this next payday parmo day.
    30 degrees way too hot for me I’m with ginette – 25 and lower is best, but then again I am originally from North of Scotland.
    L

30 degrees is hot, but perfect if you have the sea or a pool to cool off in. Ginette at this rate it won’t be that long before you are in a cossie enjoying the beach.

Nemum

Glad to be of help. Lots of low calorie versions of this on Google. I believe it is like chicken parmigiana an Italian dish. Many variations on it. So of you fancy giving it a go you can prepare your own. I always try to find substitutes of a dish I like. Builds good habits as well. I used to run a restaurant and we used to make half a dozen of the Italian ones at once. They are also easy to freeze.

Just a thought.

Hi Applepie

Maybe next summer. Something to look forward to, but not on a pebbly overcrowded beach like my local one. I may wait for the deserted one in France.

Lovely.

Ginette

We have lovely sandy beaches here, gently shelving into the sea, you can walk out a long way. Not a pebble in sight. You will be showing off your beach body one day. You can do it!

Chicken parmigiana sounds delicious.

Thanks for the belief in me. I have eaten well so far today as I wanted to increase food intake.

Yes chicken parmigiana is nice. Not too difficult either.

Here is the recipe

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1267633/chicken-parmigiana

347 calories I think.

Fran where have you gone to and how did the week go?

Ginette

These are stage 1 of the exercises that Jaye posted on Facebook. This is fat burning.

Clip takes about half an hour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=10&v=dMrlFow-JWY&list=PL-3ha1N51FWOHt_G7xKX_Eq_94_NFsVk1

Ginette

Well, NEmum if you come back to Scotland tomorrow you’ll be pleased to know that there is no chance of 30 degrees here – lots of rain, wind and possibly snow, usual Scottish weather. But at least no midges!

Going to put the heating back on, and am in Edinburgh! Though was brought up on the northumbria coast, so I don’t think you will be much warmer where you are, def not a warm as Appliepie!

Oh, and keep the fluids up in the heat, Apple pie, Enjoy an extra glass of red for me! Just another 40,000 minutes or so and I’ll join you! Enjoy tomorrow. How’s the waist measurement, I’m now 32″, yay!! so another half inch and I’ll be at that target. Just need to get the thunder thighs sorted or my legs will be bigger than my waist. Not a good look! Enjoy tomorrow!

Hi Ginette not quite sure where that pub is so it’s probably nowhere near me, maybe NEmum knows? I don’t tend to eat parmo often to be honest because I’m highly aware of the calorie values and most places will do the high cal/fat version so I stay off it. Unless my daughter ordered a Parmo takeaway then I pinch a few pieces, can’t resist really!
    Not sure if anyone’s interested but I’ve just done day 1 of 30 day shred? I googled it on Youtube and there are lots of videos so I gave one of them a go. My goodness I was soo hard, especially for someone like me who only does dog walking for exercise! I managed the full 20 mins though but felt a wee bit shaky afterwards so if anyone gives it a go just be prepared for that. If you google 30 day shred before and after pics you will probably be as impressed as I was. I thought that even if I don’t do it every day as they recommend I’m hopefully going to get some decent results before I go away on the 2nd June. I’ll let you know how it goes if anyones interested. x

Hi Karen

I am not familiar with this area being from the south. Here is a link to chicken in Parmesan in bread rubs though. It comes out under 330 calories. So much better.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1267633/chicken-parmigiana

Good luck with the exercise.

Ginette

Sorry Applepie

I got the calories wrong when I told you. Under 330 so even better.

Ginette

Ginette the recipe looks lovely and brilliant calorie wise. Nothing like a Parmo but a nice alternative.

Hey milena,I just did! Chilli and brown rice for the first time, bloody lovely! where have you been all my life brown rice? With a lovely red liria. Extra rice cooked for tomorrow after the beach for tuna rice salad, yummy.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

I occasionally eat brown rice. But under suffrage. Will try them with chilli. Though not for a couple of weeks – I add a tin of baked beans to the kidney beans, so chilli and rice both Off the menu for a couple of weeks.

Just bought a an Aberdeen Angus roast for tomorrow. And Yorkshire’s to go with the Jersey’s. Daren’t make my own Yorkshire pudding. Too moreish. Starting to make Sunday a bit of a day off, but I’m doing a full fast on Monday, trying to eek it out to 48 hours. Then low carbs. Will be interesting to see if my energy levels go down.

You can tell I have the attention span of a gnat. My way of keeping on track is to keep changing,so I don’t get bored. I eat when I’m bored. Stops me thinking of the stuff I’m missing too, wine most of all. Though it will be fun working out how to stay slim and have a drink. At least I know that it can be done!!!!!!!!

Just finishing third fast for the week, one liquid, my OH is calling me the durecell bunny!!!!

Galaxinda I do the same, ask myself if I am hungry, if so and its not meal time then I have an apple. All good tips. I’ve banished treats to be just that, a treat which means ‘occasional’.

I’ve lost 4lbs 2oz this week. I fasted an extra day, yesterday but this only showed as -6oz more from Thursday’s weigh in. So hopefully I’ll have a good week next week too.

How nice to be enjoying the beach, though for me I prefer a pool and a cushioned sun lounger lol so I’ll waot back at you place Applepie lol. 30 is a tad too hot for me too but I’m sure I would get used to it. Mid 20s are perfect for me. Still anything is better than today, cold, wet and windy. The usual bank holiday weekend weather then! Lol.

Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

Jaye 🙂

Lol
    Still no change since starting 5:2
    Gotta laugh!
    As for beach bodies, we all have one, just some are bigger than others. Maybe that’s been part of my problem I’ll strut my 18 stone stuff anywhere. Yes I am that large lady on the beach with the bright pink cozie. Size should not stop anyone doing anything. Yes there may be a few who think I should cover up but I’m hoping there are far more thinking, good on ya girl. And if I give one over weight lass the confidence to have a bit more fun that that’s a bonus. But I don’t do it for anyone else, I do it for me. My boys are 10 and 12, they dont care what size I am when I jump waves with them on holiday, and nobody is taking the pleasure of playing with my children away from me.
    Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant!
    L

Hi Nemum

Well you know what you need to do for next week now.

Good luck the first week is the most difficult.

Ginette

Hi All

Look at these shocking images of a brain responding to sugar. Remember that if you don’t burn the carbs that you eat they too turn to sugar. Enough to make you think!

http://mic.com/articles/88015/what-happens-to-your-brain-on-sugar-explained-by-science

Ginette

Weigh in day for me, 126lbs, so back to 9 stone. After a really tough liquids only day last week too 🙁

Ah well back on it, fasting today, liquids only tomorrow.

Milena I would love a 32 inch waist, well done you. Mine is 35″

Photos on Facebook of our day on the beach.

Hi All

Hi Fran

Is all ok. We haven’t heard from you in a week?

I am thinking that Audrey will be back soon………..

Ginette

Hi everyone, I’ve been around, actually did a bit of lurking earlier in the week, so I’ve kept up on everyone’s business. My blustery gung-ho attitude took a bit of a beating this week. I’ve been feeling somewhat down on myself after totally messing up and blowing my first week on the fast beach diet. I wanted so much to do well but my inner saboteur ruined it. I basically binged at least twice on pasta salad. I found myself making this utterly yummy pasta salad that on the surface seems pretty innocuous but is loaded with fatty dressing and then eatting a humongous bowl of it. Then to make matters worse, I followed that up with another bowl before I went to bed. You then might assume that I fasted the next day, but instead I stuffed myself with crumpets and jam the next morning and various other inappropriate things for about 2 days. Needless to say, my attempt at exercising also went by the boards too. I’ve just fallen, as I am prone to do, right out of any feeling of motivation. So I’ve decided to change things instead of giving in to my cravings, all of course within the confines of the 5/2 lifestyle. I’m trying instead, the paleo diet for my non-fasting days and then sticking to the 500 cal fasting days. I’m sure most of you have heard of this back to basics diet based on the premise that giving up any and all processed food can only benefit us. Heavy sauces, fats, refined carbs, etc. are one of the reasons we are the way we are. I know that there really isn’t a whole lot of difference between what I’ve been doing as far as eatting below my TDEE and the actual paleo plan. I guess it’s the way you look at it. If I feel more comfortable eatting the paleo way, then for sure, whatever works for me, or for any of us for that matter, that’s what we should be doing. It remains to be seen of course if it will work.
    By the way, I gained 1.5 lbs this week. So, I’ve started the paleo diet today, and I’ll keep you posted for sure.

Fran 🙂

Hi Fran

We all have these times. If you can always leave them at just one day and you will recover quickly. The 1.5lb may be food in transit.

Don’t despair. You can join us for Fast beach later we have 4 weeks to go. Just concentrate on getting back to 5:2.

You will feel better soon and I,m glad you have been lurking.

I am going out to dinner on Thursday as I must use up a £30 voucher. This is running out the week after, I know I will only have one day and the next day may be so full that I won’t have lunch. That will put right any damage and I think it does me good from time to time.

This is one I posted on other threads last night. It may help. I eat a lot of broccoli with other vegetables but rarely kale.

Link below with my ramblings:

This is an interesting one about how certain foods help our metabolism and help us to burn more fat. These are everyday foods (I can’t abide olives though).

It has some interesting information and well worth a read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3067794/The-wonder-foods-s-discovery-rank-alongside-vitamins-food-compounds-turbo-charge-weight-loss-boost-memory-help-combat-cancer.html

I had bought turmeric capsulres but by the time they had come I had forgotten why I had bought them.

I then found out ……….to help memory………seems like I do need them then, I had to laugh. Maybe also taking them would help as they haven’t made it out of the bottle. Sigh……….

Ginette

Nemum

Very quiet from you. I know bank holidays are a difficult time for lots of people. I hope that now it is over you are trying to get back to 5:2. Only you can do it.

Ginette

Ginette,
    This is so hard!
    I was so proud of myself on Bank Holiday and picnic, I provided a fab picnic for all, and I don’t think anyone would have know that I was counting calories, because I did it all before leaving. No body noticed that I only had half a sandwich, or was counting the amount of cherry tomatoes I had, my hubby had made me chocolate brownies at 30 calories a slice last week, so I took those. So good, I even said I was too full for the icecream on the way home. The family had pizzas from the freezer when we got home and I oven cooked chicken with some lemon, garlic and chilli (delicious) with homemade coleslaw. So a less that 1000 day.

But today was my fast day and at 5pm I have failed. A friend of mine wanted to meet at Costa for a coffee, so I went and had what I thought was my best option, skinny latte (109) toasted tea cake (277) 1 pat of butter (36). But didn’t check calories until I got home. So I’m up to just over 550 already and I need me tea!

So hard this dieting m’larky. But am trying to stick with it!
    No weight loss either!
    How was your Bank Holiday? We went to Brimham Rocks (google it) oh my boys loved the climbing.
    L

Hi. NEmum

I love my costas!!!! Good on you for choosinh skinny Latte. I’m into my 5th month, it wasn’t until well into my 4th that I changed from full fat to skinny latte so good on you!

Either make tea 300 calories, and call it a half fast, reboot and postpone your fast to tomorrow, or don’t eat tea. Loads of options, none of them failures.

Just keep on keeping on!!!!

Hi Nemum

Sorry I am so late getting back to you, but I have been out all day.

Firstly I think you did brilliantly on the picnic. What a star. Don’t feel bad. At least you are really trying and as Milena says some times it takes longer for people to settle in. It is a whole change of your way of life.

No you didn’t fail, it just didn’t turn out how you had planned. Put it behind you and just either do it tomorrow or pick another day. You will learn to be strong.

I am sure you will have a better week this week.

Keep strong. It will happen believe in yourself!!

Ginette

So, just to recap, I went to the doctor to ask about my weight gain and tum-related symptoms and had a raft of blood tests. All normal (hurrah) apart from B12 in which I’m deficient (boo). Come to think of it there has been a rash of comments on how pale & tired I look, but being a bit of a ginger without the knack for sleeping that’s not unusual!

So, all very odd. It doesn’t explain my symptoms, and isn’t explained by my diet, which includes plenty of fish and low fat dairy on fasting and non-fasting days.

Any similar experiences out there?

HI ladies,
    I am back from mums, caravan then mums again and I bring good news, I have now lost 20 lb and am under 11st for first time in years!

I am really pleased because I have not been able to access the Internet so have had to guess calories instead of my usual counting and measuring everything.
    Welcome to NeMum and cmac it’s good to see new people here, and hello to all my old friends it’s good to be home!

more good news, I have tried on my wedding suit and it fits perfectly not tight at all I am VERY pleased indeed.

I am here if you need support
    Audrey

Viewing 50 posts - 4,751 through 4,800 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.