HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Fran

What a good experience for you it is as you say eye opening. Why is the artery blocked do you know? Stents are I believe a relatively painless, quick keyhole surgery op normally and can make a huge difference.

I hope that is the case with you. Such a relief for you and maybe such a help. I assume he is only putting a stent in one leg at the moment is that the case.

It really has the potential to change your life.

So please for you.

Ginette

Hi All

I have posted this on another thread earlier so my apologies if you read both. I often read of people struggling to adapt to this WOL especially the first couple of weeks. So in case this helps anybody. This is how I found it:

Week 1 – struggled with what to eat. Decided on the day.
    Week 2 – felt it was easier but really carb hungry after a fast day. Still struggling with what to eat.
    Week 3 – adapted to no lunchtimes just evenings weighed and measured everything the night before.
    This was so much easier. Used a post it note to add up calories as I went. Still a little carb hungry after fast day.

After this point I realised that I didn’t want carbs every evening. So changed to only 2/3 times a week. I still do that now. I tend to make a meal with sauces eg chicken in sauce or if not I use a dairy free cheese sauce over my vegetables. I use frozen mostly vegetables. It is much easier to keep a variety. They require much less cooking as the freezing process softens them. I do put herbs in with my vegetables different types of herbs and sometimes garlic. I saw a program which showed that frozen vegetables were really fresh when frozen. So less cooking and more goodness.

I once had a cauliflower straight from a field, given to me by a farmer. The stalk was really soft to cut though like a tomato or peach but not juicy. This was surprising to me as shop bought had always been hard. I would love to try other vegetables like this to see if they are the same.

Sorry I digress………

I am now not carb hungry after a fast day. I only eat a meal at lunch time and in the evening. Snacks will now be fruit and/or youghurt. I do often make up a sugar free jelly and have with half a pot of youghurt. Lovely especially on a warm day or in the evening. I am not sure when it changed only a few weeks in.

I found that I am now not as hungry. In fact such a change. I imagine it must have been carb hungry now as it was obviously not true hunger. I did have a few treat things over a week especially the two weeks after Easter. My weight loss slowed to 1/2 a week. Now although I don’t mind this on one week, two were worrying. So I joined Milena on the Fast Beach diet this is put together by Mimi Spencer as meant as a kickstart to weight loss. Believe me I am nowhere near a bikini!! The only difference is dropping carb based treats. Hence cake, wine, sweets, cholocate etc. Also doing HIIT exercises 3 times a week and muscle strength training. I do HIIT on the Wii and use one of the programs that I have or chase the dog like a lunatic (she loves it. I have started with 3 x 10 second bouts for three times a week. Next week I may increase to 15 seconds. I read to start slowly and increase so that is what I am doing.

I do exercise and again use the Wii started with 15/20 minutes three times a week now I do 20/30 mins 3/4 times a week.

My first week is almost at an end as I started Monday, I always weigh Friday or Saturday so I can report after the (nearly) first week I have lost 3lb!!!! Really pleased with that. I counted calories every day and I well and truly under TDEE. I am only finding I am eating about 1000 calories on NFD’s. This is not what I am trying to do it just happens!! I keep trying to increase and yesterday decided to have something much earlier than usual as I wanted in increase calories (this sounds so strange) but as I had eaten about 11.45 I didn’t want anything lunch time. I just wasn’t hungry. I started getting hungry about 7pm this is my normal time to eat between 7 and 8.30 and so I had a pie (shouldn’t have been allowed but had to take out of freezer to pack veg in) potatoe wedges with peel on and southern fried coating and beans. Delicious!! But this still didn’t take me up to over 1100.

FBD is only for six weeks. so only 5 to go. Sunday I will have a roast. And a solero for dessert as this is only 95 calories and relatively low carb. I do like a dessert on Sunday.

So hopefully my journey may help the people struggling. All of the changes in the first few weeks were just due to the change in eating pattern. I didn’t choose them – they chose me. I find it strange that I am not drawn to certain foods but it is not that I am listening to my body it is telling me so it is much easier.

Sorry as post is a bit long, obviously on my soap box!!

There is more about the Wii exercises I do in more detail on mid fifties thread in answer to Milena’s query.

Have a nice weekend all.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    Yes it’s a huge relief. To not have that bypass hanging over my head is like a 10 tonne weight has been lifted of my shoulders.
    Like a coronary bypass, a periferal bypass is caused by a build up of plaque and fatty deposits that have accumulated in an artery, in my case this being the renal artery that goes down my leg. So, my type 2 diabetes, as well as my weight, combined with all the other things I’ve done to myself over the years has caused this condition known as periferal artery disease or PAD to flourish in my body, until it reached the point where the blood flow is almost nonexistent.
    With any luck, the stent will solve the problem, it remains to be seen if it’s going to be a permanent fix.
    Take care, and thanks for the kind thoughts Ginette.

Fran 🙂

Hi Franee…

Brilliant news, I’m so relieved for you. Although you still have to endure a procedure nothing as scary as before. Franee, do you have Facebook, we have a couple of ‘secret fast pages’ that means no one but those that join can see it. Add me at JAYE BLOGS.

Keep up the good work and good luck on weigh in day.

Ginette, I replied to your post elsewhere. Didnt want it to look like I was ignoring it lol

Jaye 🙂

Hi Fran

I have just been reading info on blocked arteries as it is interesting as they a recall similar. On one site is said that fasting can help reverse it. However this was a full fast. On others it seems that cholesterol and weight lowering would really help.

Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/cholesterol-and-artery-plaque-buildup?page=2

Interesting reading.

Ginette

It’s now almost two years later and I wonder how you are doing. I was losing about a pound a week when my sister who was also doing the FastDiet, came to visit. Instead of energizing each other as I had assumed, she seemed to have no interest in sticking with the plan. As a result, I didn’t stick with it either. It’s been six months now and I have gained back everything I lost. I can’t seem to revive my enthusiasm. What has happened with you?

Hi Diana

Nice to see you. What a sad tale. I started about 10th January. To date I gave lost about 19lbs. I really found it hard to keep dieting on other diets get fed up and then stop and see the weight creep back. How much did you lose out of interest?

I logged my first 10 weeks and then put them on a thread for people who were either thinking of starting or those struggling in the first couple of weeks. I can say that in all that time I have only had one week with no loss and then two weeks over Easter with only 1/2 loss apart from that fairly regular loss. I have do averaged at 1.7lb a week.

Last week I started the Fast Beach Diet. This is to compliment this way of eating but a little stricter for 6 weeks. I would reccomend that if you restart tha 5:2 (I am hoping that you will) and get past the first two or three weeks you will then find yourself settling into this way of life.

Even when we get to ideal weight (for us) we need to go to 6:1 to avoid sliding back into only ways. Also to keep up the improvements in out health.

We will really encourage you here. I am on a few threads. Mid fifties is one of them. Click on my name and you will get more I so from my profile.

I hope you decide to and then lose lots of weight, maybe this will inspire your sister.

Good luck with deciding. I started mine on the end of a week. I didn’t even wait until Monday. I was worried that when Monday came I would find an excuse. I have lost 3lbs on my first 5 days of the fast beach diet, so it was ideal after the two slow weeks of Easter.

Ginette

Hi Diane,

There’s no time like the present. Get yourself organised for a FD tomorrow and jump in with both feet. Try to go cold turkey on cutting out sugar if you can. I feel this accelerates the transition to feeling less hungry and making better food choices. The FD gives you an edge already, with only 500 cals you don’t want to waste any so stick to good protiens, white fish, prawns, eggs etc with none starchy veg and possibly some fruit. If you can avoid sugar/high carbs on FD you can push through the next day doing the same thing. What do you normally drink on FDS? Have you tried Miso soup, it’s only 18 cals and tastes beefy so makes you feel you’ve eaten something. They are great on FDS for beginners. Asda sell it in the Oriental section. If you need any help give us a shout. It will all come flooding back to you as soon as you get into your first FD.

Jaye 🙂

Hi All

I have decided that it may be nice for you to have a week long challenge on the back of Jayes comments really.

Here is a bit from the Fat busting thread where Jaye had to,d me I would manage without mu “treats” for six weeks. I was really concerned about this and then thought well if Milena and Jaye are giving up wine and that’s for six weeks, I shall give it a go.

My reply:

Hi Jaye

Yes you were right it was easier than I thought. Thinking about it was the hardest part. Ha Ha

To those of you like me who like treats do as Jaye says try for a week. Maybe we should have a weekly challenge here. You can all support Milena, Jaye and I on our fast beach diet. What about that. For one week only.

Come on who is up for the challenge? The gauntlet is down replies soon please.

I still have carbs. I have them 2/3 times a week for dinner. Potatoes are my choice. I also have granary/wholemeal bread about 4 times a week although this week it will work out only 3. I have cut out cake, chocolate and the few sweets I had midget gems only about 12/15 a week normally. I don’t drink alcohol so no worries there. Also I don’t drink fizzy drinks never really have. Maybe once a year if I am travelling and it’s really hot I will have a can of lilt.

You can make sugar free jellies and have with yoghurt if you want something sweet. Or fruit and youghurt this is one of my favourites.

So not complete deprivation.

I was already eating under TDEE on this site I set mine about 350 lower. A lot of people have done this. Now without the treats I find I am only around 1000 hence the weight loss I would imagine……and with no real effort.

So now I set the same challenge here just for a week!

Who will do it?

Ginette

Hi all, Count me in 🙂 I’m currently on track to a good loss this week, so dropping 300 from my TDEE and cutting out sugar can only continue to help. Egg white omelets and lean protein, combined with plenty of fresh veggies is the way I plan to go. Best of luck, and may we all have impressive losses !!!!

Fran 🙂 🙂

Well done Fran

The first to take up the challenge!!

Anyone else?

Ginette

Hello all LOACA !!! This is my first day! I got on the scale this morning cause I was sooo tired, and instead of losing weight which usually happens if I am tired, I gained an ‘additional’ pound and a half after not eating much yesterday at all, then also skipping dinner!(I did have 3 grapefruit and vodca’s though!) And when I got home I had a chocolate popsicle that is only 40 calories. That’s why I weighed myself, hoping I would have LOST a pound instead of gaining one. That adds about a whole 10 pounds this year despite eating pretty darn healthy!!! I am 60 yrs.old this year and can’t seem to eat anything without gaining!!! So I found this site today and qualify for my first fasting day today since I didnt make 500 calories, and will go to bed soon. Thank God! LOL! I need help, I can’t do this alone anymore! I remember fasting as a teenager, and it seemed to work for me. It sort of shocks one’s body, and somehow is the only way some of us can loose any weight. I HOPE I CAN loose weight! Right now I am starving! I haven’t done this for a very long time! But it NEEDS to be done! If you want a BUDDY, let me know!!!

Morning ladies.

1. Very best of luck mprs. As you’ll have seen from this thread alone there are lots of ways to make this plan work for your life so if you find it too hard you can switch to a different pattern. One thing I’ve learned is that you need to be patient and look at the longer term trend. In daily weigh-ins madness lies.
    2. I want to add to the recommendations for the slimmer dinners website (scroll up). We had the citrus fish at the weekend – filling and delicious.
    3. I’m sticking with the plan. After adding a third fast day last week to counteract the effects of my birthday (mmmm Prosecco) I haven’t gained this week. Fasting on a Saturday was surprisingly easy.
    4. My GP thought some blood tests (thyroid function, ovarian cancer, diabetes, vitamin deficiency) would be worthwhile. I’m waiting for all that to happen. What I’m really expecting to hear is ‘it’s your age dear’.
    5. Many many thanks for the supportive messages. I will look out for opportunities to return the favour.

Cac, try not to worry about things you more than likely don’t have, easier to say than do, I know. I bet the bloods show good results in cholesterol and any diabetic markers.

@mprs, welcome and what is LOACA? You will find lots of help, encouragement and support here. Firstly do some reading about women from their late 40s on and how few carbs our bodies are able to deal with, around 20/25% daily. So if you can reduce your carbs that will be a good start. Good tips for that is trying to have breakfast and lunch without carbs. Thankfully the weather is getting better so salads and fruit salads are nicer to eat. Try having eggs for breakfast or a fruit salad with some greek yoghurt and maybe an omelette with ham, cheese, veg or a combo. Save carbs for dinner, swap potatos for sweet potatos which have a low GI. Swap your normal bread for a low GI version. I get mine from Waterfields bakery in England, it’s half the sugar and carbs, half the calories. Eat things like white fish, prawns and eggs on FDS (fast days) which are high protien, lower cals. Eat with veg/salad. Stay away from carbs on FDS as they will make you more hungry because the sugars give you spikes in your insulin. Drink water, soda/sparkling water with a slice of lemon and an ice cube. Tea and coffee, no sugar, splas of milk taken from 500 cal allowence if you need it. Be sure to measure out your milk so you are not under guessing your usage therefore calories. Miso soup is great if you are feeling hungry on FDS. Only £1.99 for a pack of 8 sachets. Each sachet is 18 cals, taste beefy so feels like you’ve eaten something. You can buy it in the Oriental section at Asda.

I would suggest you have 3 small meals to start with, you can change to 2 then 1 later as you get the hang of it if you want to. Plan in advance so you know what you are having, when, the calorie count and you have everything at hand. Planning and being organised is the key. That’s the number 1 tip. Perhaps a boiled egg and a slice or 2 of very thin ham for breakfast. Or a small amount of home made porrage. For lunch salad with prawns and dinner how about you buy some Bare Naked Noodles from Morrisons £1.99 or Holland & Barrats £2.99. You can buy on line if you are not in England. This is packaged food so treat as such and don’t eat all the time. They are only 20 cals for the whole package and very filling. You could have a veg/mushroom prawns or a small amount of chicken stir fry making a basic sauce with soya sauce, garlic, ginger etc. Count every calorie. If you have enough cals you can use a shop bought sauce.

My 2nd tip is for one week, your first week, do your best to stay away from chocolate and any sweet things. The reason I suggest this is twofold. The first is, calories, and cravings. The more you eat, the more you want, the harder it is to stick to your calories. The second is, the fast days are going to help you tremendously to overcome the need for sweet things as it detoxes your body so what better way to start cutting them out. Within the week you will start to see differences in your food choices, your cravings, or lack of them and that your body is asking for healthier less calorific food. No alcohol on FDS and cut back on other days incorporating into you calories. Btw, the pineapple juice you are putting in your vodka is all sugar. The process of making it into juice removes all the fibre leaving just the sugar. You night want to check the label on the box.

Tip 3, never eat diet foods!!! Diet foods and yogurts are packed with sugar. They remove the fat and replace with sugar. Read up on fats and sugars, sugar is in milk, bread, cereals, everything we eat. RDA for sugar has been slashed by half to 24g/6tsp. So keep an eye on that. Good Fat should be 35/40% of your daily food intake.

Tip 4, read the labels, count and weigh everything. Do not guess for at least the first few weeks. You will under estimate and go wrong without knowing it. Eat fresh foods as much as possible and limit packaged/processed high calorie foods. Start using a calorie counter aid/app. If you have a smartphone get My Fitness Pal for free. Please ignore the TDEE it provides though and use the one here.

Tip 5. When Michael says eat normally, it doesn’t mean ‘eat how you normally eat’ if you normally over eat and make bad choices lol. Which since we are all here, we obviously have been doing that for some time then obviously you need to assess your ‘normal eating’. I see this here all the time ‘but Michael says eat normally’. What he actually means and it does say this somewhere in the book is eat the right portions, make healthy choices, don’t eat for the sake of eating, don’t over eat. Eat like a naturally slim person would. They don’t incorporate ‘goodies, treats, sweet stuff’ into their everyday eating plan, they don’t over eat, eat to eat, eat from boredom, or emotionally eat for the most part.

And tip 6. Learn the difference between real hunger and emotional hunger. Real hunger comes on lowely, it can be ignored, it even goes away, drinking water (occupying your mouth and hand) helps as will a cup of tea or coffee. When you eat, ANYTHING will satiate hunger even a bowl of vegetables. Emotional hunger comes on instantly, it’s very dramatic, it talkes to you sending your mind through the cupboards and fridge before you even get to the kitchen. It wants high fat/sugar foods and no amount of it satiates it. The more you eat of this food the more the brains signsl to say you are full and send out the message to your body to create the hormone that tells you to stop eating, you are full is disrupted. So, if you get that hunger, drink some water and busy your brain! Watch TV, play a game, write in your diary, call a friend, go for a walk, immerse yourself in your work. Push it to the back of your mind and take control of it.

Don’t forget to work out your TDEE in your tracker and do your best to stay under that. If you need all the calories, eat them, if not, all the better. Do your upmost to not go over your 500 FD calories, and remember to drink lots of water. 40% of our water source comes from the food we eat so it’s very important to stay well hydrated on FDS.

When is your next fast day. I do Monday/Wednesday. I’m thinking you might be in the states from your posting? Choose the 2 days you have the best chance of keeping too.

Good luck and happy fasting all.

Jaye 🙂

Jaye

LOACA = Ladies of a certain age

Hahaha…. I’m 48, what age is it starting out Apple. Lol.

Hi Mprs

Welcome, nice to see this thread filling up with new people. As Jaye says you really do need to calorie count at least at first. Some of the things you are eating may surprise you.

We will all buddy you here we help one another. In two or three weeks you will see your tastes and “needs” changing. This will be from the amount of food to the type of food. I found myself eating less carbs less of the unhealthy treats and just eating more healthier generally.

I increased vegetable intake by about 4/5 portions a day (I only ate one or two before), I eat a little fruit now.

I eat very little processed food, maybe the odd good for you lasagne with vegetable. This is really not a weekly thing at all. I used to have a carb craving after fast days, this went on for two or three weeks. Now I enjoy a sandwich with granary bread the day after fast day, but I don’t have that craving I had before. I don’t have a sandwich every day – probably about 3/4 times a week.

I also only have carbs with my dinner 2/3 times a week. Normally two. This was not a concious choice this is what the 5:2 did to me. All positive.

I wish you luck with your journey, it may be a bit slower than someone with a few stone to use like myself but you will get there.

We will all help you with encouragement and support. You can moan here as well if you feel like it, we have all had those weeks.

Ginette

Hi CMac

So pleased you didn’t gain. If your doctor said its your age I would ask for a second opinion. I had a friend who developed back pain and her doctor told her this. I reccomended an osteopath to her. She tried him and after three visits no more back pain and also shoulder pain that has been with her for years has gone. When I saw her she could hardly get up of the settee.

I would always get a second opinion in these cases.

I hope the blood tests get you sorted. I must say my doctor is brilliant and I have no complaints. I had a useless one in the past. I saw her once when he wasn’t there and then changed to her. I have been really happy ever since.

Ginette

Hi all you lovely ladies,
    I was slightly disappointed with my 1/2 lb weight loss today, but then I realized that it was still a loss. I’ve been spoilt by the weeks I had of 2 lbs or more. I’m going to drop my caloric intake on non-fasting days to a max of 1100. I feel that this number will still allow me to eat a balanced diet. I’ll then use 275 as my fasting day’s total and see how it goes. My reason for doing this is that my sister Debbie is probably lurking in the threads somewhere and will inevitably end up reading this at some point. She’s done extremely well and if I know her, she’s likely reached her goal. I just can’t let that little brat beat me so badly. Don’t get me wrong, I love her very much, but she’s 9 years younger than me and it’s about time she stopped looking so damn good. No doubt I’ll see her at some point this summer and I plan on looking good too !!! It sucks to have a baby sister who used to be a long distance runner. LOL, I sound like a rotten sister, but you don’t have to live with two gorgeous sisters who look fantastic ( yes, I have another older sister who has never in her life had a weight problem ) and are also lovely, kind, and wonderful people. They both drive me crazy !!! Well I’ll show them!! As you can plainly see, I have a lot to contend with, but with my newly adjusted calorie count, my sisters had better watch out. All kidding aside ladies, I’m out for blood this summer. I’m going to have great fun watching the numbers on that scale, take a nosedive. Happy fasting and I’ll talk to you soon,

Fran 🙂

I’m new and a little disheartened. Yesterday was my 5th fast day and I have lost nothing … 0… zero!
    I realise the fast diet is not a fast way to lose weight but I want to know I’m going in the right direction.
    Help?

Hi @ NEmum,

Have you kept a food diary, have you changed your eating habits a fair bit, are you avoiding sugars especislly on FDS (fast days). Are you weighing first thing in the moring, wearing the same clothes or no clothes, don’t weigh yourself until you have been up for at least 10 mins. No idea why but it makes a difference. Are you scales definitely working, is it your time of the month? Have you got a correct TDEE done here on the website via your tracker and are you staying under it?

First of all assess all these things, and read up a little where I give some top tips for beginers.

Do you have an app to track properly what you are eating? I use My Fitness Pal. Takes a bit of playing around with to get used to but I couldn’t do without it. You can even use the scanner for bar codes, you will find this at the bottom of the page in ‘add food’. You scan the item, you can check for cals or add to your app. Don’t forget to change the amounts/portions to what you ate.

If you have done all these things then stick at it for a couple more weeks and consider seeing your GP for a quick health cheque including bloods. Sometimes it just takes a while firstly for your body to stop gaining before it can turn the tide and start losing. Keep at it and count your calories, weigh your food, stick to your 500 cals on FDS.

Good luck, let us know about how you have been fasting eating so far please. You may be missing a key element that we can help with.

Jaye 🙂

I feel your pain! I am 57 yrs old, post menopausal, I swim 3 days a week. I have been on the 5:2 for 3 weeks adhering to the 500 calories on fasting days and generally eat a healthy diet with lots of vegetables and fruit; no gluten, limited sugar and alcohol. I also have a non-functioning thyroid which makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. I have lost only 1 lb. so far.

I am going to stick it out; keep with it, and add more activity each week. The goal is to be healthy on the inside for the long term benefits. By the charts I need to lose 50 lbs which seems daunting….so am trying to take the advice of the author and not obsess about the number on the “scale”. Let’s all hang in there together!

Hi Fran

I had one week where I didn’t lose anything. As you are joining us on Fast Beach diet for a week I wouldn’t worry that might do the trick.

It is bound to happen. Remember how long it took us to put it on.

As you know I lost 3lb on the first week of FBD but that could also be due to a bit of water retention going. As the weather changes I often hold/lose extra water. It would be lovely to think it was fat. Skirts definitely looser around the waist, but I have also upped the exercise. I did 50 minutes including my version of HIIT and muscle training is included in my normal routine.

Last week the most I did in one session was 35 mins. The game I use at the moment includes a weekly challenge – this is something that you set for yourself. If I remember this week what I have set is I hour and 50 minutes.

It also takes you around the world as you exercise more. At the moment I am in Turkey . Quirky I know. It sometimes makes me do another 3 – 4 minutes to reach another country though.

The Fast Beach diet will alter your calorie count for a week, without any problems.

Good luck and don’t worry about lack of weight loss for one week. You still lost. Have you been measuring yourself?

Here is. FBD planner to help you. Scroll through to the last page and you will see useful information.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FB-PLANNER.pdf

Ginette

Hi Nemum

Have to say. Jaye has given you the basics. Try another week following her advice if not try fast beach diet for a week and see if it has results. It is also important to measure yourself. Make sure you drink enough water not alcohol based of course!!

Do you exercise at all?

We know very little about you at the moment so we are only guessing at why.

Good luck if you follow all of these things it should help.

Please let us know how you do this week.

Ginette

Hi Montana Woman

Are you on medication for your thyroid? Maybe if you are you need to get bloods done to check it is the right amount. Remember exercising especially swimming is extremely good for you it may also be adding muscle, which will help.

Have you lost inches?

Keep up the good work. The benefits will show. Also remember that food like pies contain a lot of carbs, in other words sugar. Also bread does so eat in moderation. I could eat 4/6 slices a day. This was breakfast, lunch and sonetimes even dinner in the form of egg and beans on toast. I now eat 6/8 slices a week. I prefer Granary or wholemeal bread so I have always made this choice when available. Also I cook from scratch now. A ready meal maybe once every two or three weeks. These used to be about 5 days a week. So big changes for me. If time is as issue make the effort once or twice a week and cook for a few meals.

My fast day meals take about 10 minutes to do. Chicken or fish and vegetables. On other days I make quite a big pot of healthy mince eat one portion on the day with vegetables and another later in the week. I freeze the rest for the following week. So in a way they are ready meals then.

Just look again at the type of food you are eating.

Good luck.

Ginette

Thank you so much for your responses. I will keep at it. And I may not have lost a pound but I feel good, both psychologically for doing something at long last but also bodywise too. Jayegirl is right I need to look more closely at what I am eating fast and normal days. My TDEE seems really high though at just over 2500. As for exercise I struggle to, due pains from a car crash last year. But I realise this would help. Great to know there is this forum for help and advice.
    L

Hi NEmum, after three weeks and 7 fasts, not an ounce off. I started counting calories, and read through the threads. Changed ftom 500 cals to 393, a quarter of my target TDEE, for fast days. I made my target 12 stones, TDEE 1573.

Seemed a starvation diet at the time, but it was working for some others, so I tried it. I rarely go near TDEE any day, and I recently dropped it again. I do full fasts as well, which my menfolk thought was a neat party trick at first, they made sure not to eat in front of me – for a week. Now they just stuff themselves, and eating bacon sarnies in front of me tickles them. Men eh?

Some folks calorie count, others dont, some drop a lot of carbs, some dont. There is not one way to do it, but there is a way. Some exercise, I didnt until recently.

Btw, after 3 weeks without losing an ounce, dropped 10lbs in the following two weeks, and been dropping ever since. Hasn’t stopped me moaning when it slows down, but I tweak and I start losing again.

Puts me to mind of one of those penny mashines, you keep putting in the pennies, no luck for ages, then they drop all at once – and you are pleased you didnt give up too soon.

Good luck!!!

btw, you TDEE does seem high!

milena! 10lbs in 2 weeks?!! you star you. That is brilliant!

Hi NEmum, gosh your TDEE is extremely high, I would check that again. Also while you are at it, check the TDEE for your goal weight instead of your current weight. If you work to that the weight will come off quicker.

Struggling with my liquids only day today, but I won’t give in. I know it works 🙂

wrong end of stick Appliepie that was back in February, first losses, would be great to repeat, but not likely. Hoping for close to 10 lbs in 6 weeks on FBD, down 4 so far (wanted to hold off weighing for two weeks, not happening) so 6 to go, having my postponed Indian meal tonight, so trying another full fast tomorrow – no wine tonight though.

Hows your day going? In bed yet?

Hi Nemum

Yes I agree with Milena and Applepie

That is a really high TDEE. The only way I would achieve this is with lots of carbs and maybe also take up drinking!! My tdee was over 2000 and u cut it to 1700. I don’t get anywhere near that either.

If you cut carbs right down. Weigh all of your food and calculate calories at least for a couple of weeks, you will realise how calorie laden some food is. This week I have been counting calories as I did last week. By cutting out treats not all as I consider a nice big orange a treat and other similar things, I also consider granary bread a treat but lumit to 6/8 slices a week. Normally 6. I have cut out chocolate, cakes and sweets although sweets were minimal. After a couple of weeks like this you can allow SOME of these foods back in but in MODERATION.

I wish you luck and hope that you do lose some weight next week.

Follow the good advice everybody is giving you and you should have success. The only reason we know is that we have had to tailor it to our needs. A couple of hard weeks and you will stop craving for certain foods. You will then be in control, a lovely feeling.

Ginette

Milena

I have to say I am sooooo impressed by your 2 weeks with 10lb loss. I know this is not realistic but it least it went to prove that it does work to you.

I have accidentally done a fast day today….strange I know. I was busy up until 2 and then waiting for a shopping delivery so decided to eat after that – shopping didn’t arrive until 4 so then I had to pack it away and go out.

I took my dinner with me and as it happened it added up (with milk allowance) to 460 calories. I also brought a pear to eat, but as this will put be over I shall leave it until Thursday.

Tomorrow is normal fast day. Today was absolutely effortless food wise. I am hope tomorrow will be the same. I have never done three in a week, let alone back to back.

Applepie I hope you have gotten over your hunger. I have truly never felt hunger since I have been on this. I did get carb urges the day after fast days for the first two or three weeks. Now not even these.

I am amazed by how much it has changed my food urges. I can’t call them needs as they obviously weren’t.

I’m sure some of you have noticed the same.

Ginette

Wrote a post while waiting to go into see the doc and it wouldn’t post!

NEmum, you still haven’t told us your height or weight or what you are eating etc?

I think you may have made a mistake when you added in your weight for the TDEE go in and check that it isn’t set to Kilos, if it is hit the button to change it to lbs and check it’s the right amount and registering in which one you want, kilos or lbs. I believe you have entered your weight in lbs but it is set to kilos, that is what is giving you the massive TDEE. I am 16.8lbs/232lbs and mine is 2000, I have it set to 1500 in My Fitness Pal. On NFDs I only get close to 1500 when I eat out, generally I eat about 12/1400.

Well… Need an ultra sound on my hip and an MRI on my knee. The good news is he has also referred me back to the Doc that did my first cortisone injection in my knee and he has asked if he will push me in before my holiday June 11th. So fingers crossed. Not sure how long it will take to see someone at the Orthotics Dept, only sent off the referral today when his secretary called to ask which facility I wanted to use. Unlikely that will be sorted before hols.

Glad to hear you did so well Beldy, good on you. Miso is a god send lol.

Ginette be very careful to make sure that you are drinking lots of fluids especially if you are working out and sweating. 3 back to back is a big change from two separated by a NFD. Well done and good luck tomorrow, let us know how you are feeling and also how you feel on Thursday having done 3. I am doing 3 but I am doing tomorrow and Friday.

I got right up to my 1500 cals today, although I actually have 2000. I had lasagna and skinny chips!!! At Beefeater. My first chips but I had the calories and I haven’t had them for 10 weeks. I gave the long thin, gorgeous looking and smelling bread stick to my friend lol…. With my light lunch at home it took me to 1495 lol. Fast day tomorrow.

Stick with it Montana and do all the things we have suggested here.

Hi Milena, Applepie

Jaye 🙂

Hi all

Oh Ginette, undeserved congrats from you and Applepie, I must have written that poorly, was only trying to give a bit of encouragement to NEmum, that loss was in February after first 3 weeks of no loss.

Dont think I could repeat it, 10lbs is my target for the 6 weeks of FBD.

A three day fast. Eeeeeeck! Good on you.

Planning second fast tomorrow, intending to be full fast following my Indian meal tonight, but 4prawns, salad and roast veg are not going go to do much damage, was expecting to be really full, Im not. I don’t drink and drive, but as one drink puts you over the limit in Scotland, my booze free FBD wasnt under any pressure. So will decide in the morning.

Fingers crossed you get sorted, Jaye.

Thanks Milena but I think it was deserved. After 3 weeks with no loss you got your reward two weeks in a row.

Yes it sort of just happened for me today. No planning involved.

Let’s see what happens at weigh in.

I really wouldn’t try to do three a week let alone in a row.

Ginette

Hi Jaye

I drink about 1/2 pints of water and then about 6 very large cups of tea. 350ml which is in between 1/2 pint and 3/4. Today only a pint of water and 6 cups of tea. I only usually have 5 on fast days. So no lack of fluid there. Also no exercise today. I always take the next day off, it gives my body time to adjust.

I read on one of the threads that your weight loss slowed down. As you say it is losing that counts.

Ginette

Ah so I should work out my TDEE for my goal weight. I’m such a newbie!
    Jayegirl … I daren’t say my weight, it’s not something I tell anyone and since I am 5′ 9″ nobody ever guesses I am as heavy as I am. But I am 18.5 stones. And for a start off I would love to be 4 stones lighter.
    Fast days going well, today is my 6th and my easiest day so far. Eggs for breakfast, homemade 100 calorie soup for lunch and prawns, homemade coleslaw and half a small pitta for tea.
    But still no weight loss but sleeping better and feeling fantasic.

NEmum, there’s a lot to know in the start but we are all learning everyday no matter how long people are enjoying this WOL.

Yes, go to your tracker top right of this page, put in your weight (please make sure that it’s set to which you are inputting, lbs or kilos) otherwise it will be totally off, and any other details it asks for. Make sure you don’t over estimate your activity levels. People often put the one higher than they actually are. I am not sure if I started at 19.2lbs or 18.2lbs lol. I went up a stone after I had my bathroom done with a new floor!!! I bought new scales. Anyway… I’m taking it from 18.2 and a loss of 22lbs. Im only 5.4 and age 48. It’s the heaviest I’ve been in my life but it’s also the easiest I have ever lost weight. Then work it out to what it would be at the goal you want to reach. Try to stay within that. You’ll lose weight faster. Also don’t use any calories gsined by exercise ing but if more if you are hungry. I use My fitness Pal to count calories, I believe you should count and weigh everything at first. If you guess you’ll be out by miles, even those old hand at this will hold up their hands to going over by guessing lol. I put my reduced TDEE in, if I go over its no biggie but it’s rare I even reach it. I tend to only eat twice a day now. Never breakfast, I’m just not hungry and I won’t eat unless aI am hungry. Food tastes way better that way lol.

I wrote a list of top tips, wished I had copied and pasted them. Top tips though for newbies are, get all food thought out and prepared the day before FDS if you can…. It’s very important to be organised you sound very much like you are. And you’re sticking with high protien to keep you fuller for longer. You have decided on 3 small meals. Later you can swap to 2 and then 1 if that’s what you want. I eat just one meal at 8pm.. Tip 2….CUT OUT SUGARY FOODS COMPLETELY for a week. The longer you try to include a ‘treat’ into every day or every second day the longer the cravings stay around. It’s like giving up cocaine. You wouldn’t come off it if you kept having it. The brain lights up for sugar exactly the way it does in a cocaine addict, that is fact. And a treat is, and this is taken from an article Mimi Spencer wrote ON THE NHS site. ‘I’ve thought about how to make treats exactly that (the Oxford Dictionarydefines a treat as ‘an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure…’. Out of the ordinary. Nothing about that suggests it should be with any kind of regularity. Of course if we are not overweight because of sugar then there is no need to change our relationship with these foods. But let’s face it, most of us are.

Good luck, any questions you have, just ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Jaye 🙂

Hi Nemum

I am 5ft 5 and at the start of 5:2 was 19 stone 1lb after losing a stone just cutting out down high fat foods. This is the one place you can tell people what you weigh and we won’t be shocked or think any differently about you. You are just one of us. This you need to think of as your starting weigh and you will be proud to look back on it as it will show how far you have come soon.

I had 8 stone to lose to be in the overweight range. This will be my first long term goal. I should be a size 14/16 at this weight. Now I am about a 24 top but 20 skirt, this is only because I have elastic waistbands, these are now getting loose so I have invested in a size 18. I haven’t got it yet, it may fit me now but if not it will soon.

Working out TDEE for goal is a good idea. I put sedentary in as activity level as I am not that active. If you work in an office it is a sedentary job. Only physically active jobs will be classed as more. If you are walking children to and from school and running around after them this could class as lightly active. If you are driving them to school this changes.

I don’t walk far but I know try to do between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 hours of exercise a week. Most of this I do boxercise with a bit of other things thrown in. I do all of this at home on the Wii.

I feel better for exercising and I am hoping that it will help my fitness and blood pressure long term.

You are doing well, but you need to watch what you are eating on Non fast days. At least for a couple of weeks calorie count. Use my fitness pal app (free) you can scan in groceries and then add them as you use them. Jayes good idea, I used to scan them as I went.

Jaye

I’m afraid I have to tell you off. You HAVEN’T only loss 22lbs as you say, you have lost 32 I know your new scales are weighing differently, but it is only the scales that have changed not your weightloss.

Right, telling off over …….

Yes really important to get organised and keep as much of the food you like out of the house where possible. I know you may have to allow for other half and children, but you are the important one. Buy things for them you don’t like. If not do a bit of subtle retraining on them without them knowing it. Wean them of of sugary foods. Not good in the long term anyway. I make stewed fruit with stevia as a sweetner. This is a natural one and I hardly have any it just happens that I like rhubarb and this needs something.

Yes sugar is addictive I agree with you there. You need to cut it right down and then maybe do a couple of weeks without any. You will be so surprised what you can change.

Ok. Had my say now.

Ginette

Thank you for that post Ginette, I feel like I am with friends.
    But still no weight loss.
    3 weeks
    6 fast days
    0 weight loss
    Arghhhh!
    L

Hold your nerve NEmum. Follow all the good advice above and you’ll see results. It’s dead easy to overcompensate on non-fast days (teaspoon of peanut butter? make it two!) so you need to check that you’re not doing that. I had hoped that 5:2 would get me away from calorie counting, but you do need to recalibrate and have a good knowledge of what’s actually going in. Then you can relax and get into your stride.

I’m just coming out of a very disheartening phase of deprivation and no weight loss so I feel your pain, but this morning …. LOOSE WAISTBAND.

Well done CMac

It’s nice when the clothes start to change.

NEmum

Yes CMac is right, hold your nerve. Did you measure yourself? Do you notice any difference in clothes?

Ginette

Afternoon all,

Lol Ginette thanks for the telling off… I have lost after doing the maths, 37.5lbs. Started at 268lbs/19st.2lbs. I now weight 230.6lbs/16st.6lbs. I need to keep remembering that and keep pushing on.

NEmum, please stick with it. I know it is horribly disheartening but it will eventually shift. And besides the health benefits alone are great. All great info from Ginette too. We can’t stress enough how important it is to count calories and make sure you are sticking to your 500 cals or less on FDS and under your TDEE on NFDS. And remember, when we have been gaining for a long time it can take the body a while to stop, you have not gained any weight have you? And then reverse and start losing. You will see a big drop all at once. Are you still eating high sugar foods on your NFDS these are know to stop weight loss. There are all kinds of studies about it. It makes you become insulin resistant I believe is what they call it. Can you remove the carbs from you FD and stick to protein with veg and salad.
    You still haven’t said what kinds of things you are eating in the week and what your TDEE is set at. It’s hard to know where you are going wrong without knowing these details. Like Cmac says you eat what you think is a tsp of peanut butter but if you had measured, it was probably closer to two. Eating the kids left overs, mindlessly tasting and eating as you cook all add up to hundreds of missed calories. Also drinks, what are you drinking on none fast days. Avoid juice which is all sugar as it has no fiber in it. Squash should be counted as calories, diet drinks aren’t that great for you. Smoothies are full of sugar, any milky coffees you are forgetting about. Write it all down for a while, everything you eat and drink.

Ginette I have wrote in Fast Busting Brits about the new muscle training exercises I have started today. I can’t do the HIT, can’t do anything where I can move fast enough without hurting my hip and knee. This is for the health benefits, not for weight loss. Have to say I felt nice after them, a good all over stretch.

Hope everyone is doing well and the fasters are getting though the day smoothly along with me.

Jaye 🙂

Hi Jaye

Yes you had done much better than you were giving yourself credit for.

I have only had a pear today after the excess food last night and late meal. I have got out some chicken and vegetables for tight that I am going to have with a bit of cheese sauce. Not hungry at the moment. Jaye and Milena what have you got me into. Giving up treats has changed my appetite entirely.

I promise to have something ridiculous tomorrow to address the balance. Not sweets, chocolate, or pastries though. I think I have a lasagna. It is one of the good for you range but will be. Ice with some vegetables.

Hi Nemum

Have you also looked at drinks. Do you drink fizzy ones or alcoholic as these are high in sugars. Even low calorie fizzy drinks make your brain still look for sweet treats. Honestly I have given up anything sweet apart from fruit and yogurt. I haven’t even made any sugar free Jelly for a couple of weeks. I have no cravings apart from vegetables haha. How ridiculous is that!!

Ginette

Great advice people, thank you, I definately need to address my NFD. Right now I have just finished a teesside parmo (google if you are curious) with cider. Not great I know. Will definately look at the sugar thing. The day after a fast I am craving sugar and today I gave in big time with chocolate eclairs … am I a lost case?
    But
    Ginette clothing def feeling looser round tummy
    L

Hi Nemum

Yes I had those cravings as well for the first three or four weeks. They lessened and then went away. I still look forward to a nice Granary bread sandwich the day after.

The clothing bit is good as it means you have lost fat. It’s just not showing up yet. I tend to drink what I call pink water. There is so little squash in there in just couloirs the water. You even have to look hard to see the colour. As the weeks go by your need for sweetness will lessen and also the need for carbs. This happens without any effort apart from following the advice here. I believe carbs are addictive like sugar and they need to be in their place.

The rest will follow. I don’t have carbs on a fast day apart from a little fruit and lots of veg. The benefits outweigh anything else with these foods.

A nice fruit salad with youghurt is a treat. Only because it is fiddly to make. I tend to leave skin on where I can. This gives you the sweetness in a good way. It is all about informed decisions.

Ginette

Ginette
    I like that – informed decisions. And now I feel REALLY guilty, I think todays calories are totalling 3000. I am really worried that I am pre diabetic too, so def need to stay off sugars.
    L

Nemum

Are you guessing calories or calculating. If you are guessing you need to stop until you understand more. I would suggest

1. using My fitness pal app which is free it’s not perfect but very accurate on most items. It scans a thing with a barcode in England.

2. Weigh all food so you know exact amounts, this will improve accuracy (chicken for example is difficult to guess)

3. Add all foods and drinks to this.

This will make you far more aware and informed as if you have eaten that much today it must contain some pretty high calorie food and drinks. I even measure milk. I know how many cups of tea in my case (or coffee) I would drink in an average day. I do it once and then I know. In my tea for 5 cups I use 250 grams of skimmed milk. I don’t like the wishy washy one from the supermarket I get long life as that has a mush better consistency. If I can’t get that I get the 1% milk.

I weigh everything apart from bread which has the calories per slice on the packet. The ham I use has calories per slice on the packet, but easier to scan in. Vegetables I use mostly frozen as they are easier to cook and I can keep a variety. I do buy some though. Vegetables that were frozen were found to have a lot more nutrients that shop bought as often the shop bought “fresh” ones are much older and therefore have lost some of the goodness. Frozen ones have only got a very short time span before the freezing has to take place, therefore being “fresher”.

I grew them in a garden I would eat fresh from the garden.

Sorry, I have laboured the point a bit.

I hope you get my idea about the rules though. Have you totalled all dinks into your 3000 calories?

Whatever the answer, take this to help yourself moving on as you have really answered your question about why you aren’t losing.

Form good habits, put this day behind you and move on. We all have bad days. I have had them as well.

Ginette

NEmum, you really should start reading up on diabeties. It is not just sugar that causes it, it’s a bad diet in general. This is the time to stave it off and avoid it all together. I’m sorry but you will not lose weight while still eating the worst foods you can eat. 50/50 foods such as Eclairs high in both fat and sugar stop the brain from producing the hormones made to tell you when you are full and need to stop eating. You eat them, you crave them, you eat them you gain weight. From what you are saying about your food and drink intake you are going way above and beyound your TDEE. This is why you are not losing weight. Any good you do on FDS are being undone by what you eat on none FDS. Like the rest of us only you can get yourself off that merry go round to diabetes. It’s your body, your choice.

Good luck

Jaye.

2600 calories in a Teeside Primo, 150g of fat…

244 calories in 1 Eclair, you said ‘Eclairs’ 16.4g fat. Carbs 20.5 which is mostly sugar.

Nothing tastes as good as slim feels in my books 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.