The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,212 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by  Pollypenny 23 hours, 27 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 11,201 through 11,220 (of 11,220 total)

• Darling Wi. You have been fasting for so many years, of course you can chat with us. We ARE a nice group.
    Thanks for the thoughts. We spent the morning raking and binning mountains of dry leaves that have fallen with the strong winds this week. The worst of our gum trees..leaf and gumnut fall is in early summer, just in time for bushfires and using swimming pools.
    I hope our fires don’t create weather problems on your side of the Tasman, too. P

Thank you Purple. I would love to chat with you as our thread is quiet.
    Look after yourselves in Sydney. You are uppermost in my thoughts.
    Xxx Wiwi

Welcome to the group, Wi 🙂 Very quiet here too, everyone busy with their lives.

I am now half way through alcohol-free November, being sorely tempted to indulge but planning to stay the course. Our three sets of visitors have left, nice to have the house to ourselves. We spent the morning visiting open homes in Kerikeri, nothing that we HAVE to have yet.

Have a good weekend, all. 🙂

We have been on alert all week, with a fire 4km from us, but, being suburbia, pretty safe. It’s going to be a very difficult summer here, fire wise. I feel for everyone in exposed positions. We used to be in the bush fire brigade and we KNOW fires are mych more severe these days.
    Fasting wise, I’m sticking to 16:8 and high fibre. It is very easy to adhere to and seems to have stemmed the increases I was experiencing a couple of months ago. P

Good morning, all. Another welcome to Wiwi. It’s cold here now, but at least we’re not getting the dreadful floods that they have in the midlands and South Yorkshire or your nightmare fires. I’ve had a stupid week thanks to OH buying a pack of Crunchies left after the Halloween treats. Of course, they were irresistible! I’m a a pound over top wriggle room.

There also seems to be so many meals out on the horizon, as we catch up with friends, as well as other Christmas meals. Considerably more discipline needed. 😏.
    Pol.

Well it seems the answer to weight loss stalling is a nice steady bout of diarrhea! 😩

Brought the grandkids down from Brisbane for the Christmas pageant and was sick the whole time. Fortunately didn’t pass it on to any of the kids although my husband, sister and b-I-l all had bouts of feeling seedy but not the level I was affected at.

Hasn’t been the best time lately with the fires everywhere. We’ve been having very weird cool spring weather with the odd very hot day thrown in, such as this coming Wednesday when forecasters have predicted 40. No rhyme or reason.

Have moved dad into a nursing home where for the first week he thought he was dying (he is) and was saying goodbye to everyone and then yesterday decided in a few days he’ll be well enough to go home. God give me strength!

Oh Carol. Very tough times with elderly parents. You hope you are doing the best for them and you are met with confused disorientation. All the best with your dad (and getting over the tummy bug) Big hugs. P

Carol – love and thoughts from me, too – from another one who’s been there. Please try not to entertain guilt feelings (they will try to sneak in !) – you are doing the best thing in the worst circumstances, and it’s ok if there’s relief as well as sadness at the end. I’m now working on preparing myself to accept it graciously when my kids have to do the same for me one day – I really hope I can manage it, but somehow doubt it!
    Hope the bug has departed – take it easy.

Someone told me many years ago to teach your kids to negotiate well. They are the ones who make the decisions at the end of our life. I hope I did. 😏

I second fast’s words on elder guilt, Carol. My aunt has run us ragged this year and now blames my cousin and me for ‘putting here in a home’. (5* btw). You must have had a very difficult time with your father and the fires. The last thing you needed was a bout of diarrhoea!

Thanks for all the support everyone. The caring for dad does seem overwhelming at times and there’s always doubt as to wether I’ve made the right decision or not. Especially hard as he’s cognitively with it although slightly impaired and questions why he needs to be there. He’s been in once before when I went to Canada and checked himself out before I got home 😡. After about a week he realized what a mistake he’d made. He looks at being at home through rose colored glasses when he’s away and then gets the full impact of the reality when he’s at home. Just have to do the best you can. It’s been a good learning lesson for me though. I intend to be as prepared as I can be for our old age. Renovating our bathroom next year to make it easier for ‘walker’ access 😂

Carol, my aunt was exactly the same. Thinks she can cope, then she’s calling her neighbour at 2 in the morning! Your dad is safest in terms home, although it’s hard for elderly people to face.

Yes, still feeling the effects of two long periods like this, with mother and aunt – worse with mother because she had always been extremely demanding – ending in deaths in 2017 and 19 I suspect they will be with me for a very long time, and sadly they colour my memories of them both.
    Well done, Carol, for using the experience to get ahead for yourself and those who will in t urn worry about you. We’ve sorted wills, LPA etc, made garden lower maintenance, rearranged kitchen and edited underwear drawers and wardrobes. Still need to do bathroom, and – worst of all – ensure all basics are reachable by bus, mobility scooter or on foot, ready for the dread possibility of having to stop driving one day. Not nice, but part of parental responsibility, I’ve come to think…

Interesting discussion on aging! I must admit it’s often on my mind as Dad isn’t getting any younger and he lives a long way away. He is doing well, but he’s nearer 90 than 80. At some point the large family home he rattles round in will be too much. And he’s at least 10km from the nearest shops, with no public transport, so he will lose his independence if (when!) he can’t drive. And while he doesn’t obviously have dementia…he has age-related mental decline. Of course, he’s in denial! He’s going to live healthily until he just drops down dead one day… hmm, nice thought, but how many people go that way?!

So I think its sensible FFS to be future-proofing as much as you can while you can!

On the subject of weight, I’m sat in the 61s. Getting back to 60 by Christmas is theoretically possible and it would be nice for this year just to have been a blip…but, but… we’ll see, no promises!

P, I hope all is OK in your part of the world? I see the smoke is over parts of Sydney, not good.

Aging effects us all. None of us can see the furure, but, like everything else in life, we need to plan and be rational, while we are capable.
    Thanks for your thoughts, Happy. The fires will continue as long as the drought, sadly. Sydney is surrounded by fires and burnt areas, with regular notifications of spot fires in bushy areas near suburbs. The fire fighting resources, both human and equipment, are stretched to the limit. We were promised rain this week, but it did not arrive. The smoke is so extensive, it has even drifted across the Tasman to NZ. I run an air filter in order to sleep. P

Yes, the sky was a little hazy yesterday, from the smoke across the Tasman.

I am very grateful, in hindsight, that my aunt fell and broke her arm when she did, forcing a move into resthome-level care from her villa where she was adamant that she was coping, thank you very much! It removed the battle, when I felt I didn’t have the authority to make her move. That entailed selling one right-to-occupy in the village, and buying another, so not a simple process.

One of the benefits of our recent move is downsizing possessions. I feel a responsibility to make things as easy as possible for the children when we shuffle off, especially with two of them in Aus. So a timely conversation, and best of wishes with your dilemmas, Carol.

In light of which, we have this afternoon put an offer on a house! I knew from the moment I saw the ad. that it would likely tick all the boxes, and it has – except for the price, so we have offered lower than asking price. Lovely garden, 3,000 sq.m. of section, which is pretty average in Kerikeri, space for visitors 🙂

Fingers crossed thay it’s the one, B. 😏

Happy, everything changed for my dad once he lost his license at 95. There’s been a rapid decline since. Luckily my dad is a WW2 vet and they’re looked after very well with free health services etc. that’s probably one of the main reasons he’s been able to stay at home as long as he has. Not sure what support services for the elderly are like in the UK.

Fast I’m impressed! You’re a lot more prepared than me. I start having a clean out but there’s so much stuff I still use. I may not use it often but like to know it’s there if I need it. We’re coming up 70 and I think within 5 years I’ve got to start getting really serious and getting rid of things. Unfortunately though I’m a real sentamentalist and don’t think any family member is going to want much of my stuff anyway. The thought of throwing it out is too much for me to face just yet!

Purple, we’re on a statewide fire ban. Expecting 40 tomorrow!!

Been very quiet on our thread. I hope you are all swinging along happily. 😊
    We have had weeks of damgerous smoke from the terrible bushfires all over our state. The scale of this disaster is staggering. The drought has not only meant areas which would never burn niw have, and precious topsoil is being blown off thousands of hectares of good agricultural land, making its way to coastal cities and towns, and into the ocean.
    We are about to go onto water restrictions that forbid any use of hoses, only hand watering with buckets. I will get a lot of exercise keeping my vegetables alive. 😔
    16:8 is still working well for me. A daily reset of appetite.
    Keep fit and everyone. P

Oh, purple it’s truly a nightmare. We’ve been thinking Of you. Our 82 year old neighbour had just left for Christmas in Newcastle, NSW. Worrying about her. And some still doubt climate change!

We’re at a premier inn en route to Kent for my aunt’s funeral. Not easy to eat sensibly. OH still bring very careful, but we had a shock when seeing consultant on Monday – his markets for gout have increased rapidly since August. He’s eaten far more beef and lamb, as protein is supposedly more filling, as he’s kept off carbs.

I’m ticking over at 130, up and down by no more than a pound.

Take care all my 5:2 friends, especially you lovely Aussies

Pol. 🙋🏼

Viewing 20 posts - 11,201 through 11,220 (of 11,220 total)

You must be logged in to reply.