The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,151 through 11,200 (of 11,673 total)

• Well that was nail biting!

Sure was Happy, and the 3rd major football match for us this weekend…
    Aussie rules grand final, then Rugby League semi (our beloved team fight it out in the Grand Final next week..yeh!) And this match tonight! Almost too much.

Purple, we’re still shaking! Rugby! I love it I hate it! Those last few minutes were hell. It’s a wonder you couldn’t hear me. I could hear Happy from Cumbria! ๐Ÿ˜„

Too early for a celebration drink. Are you in s pub, Purple?

No. We watched it at home, Polly, and went to bed early. Up before 5 to pick the family up at the airport. A busy couple of weeks ahead! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Enjoy it, Purple. We were exhausted all yesterday. I get so flipping nervous and involved. Daft, eh?

Gets the heart rate going, at least ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

For an update on our move… I finished work on Thursday, put my alarm clock away telling it I would never need it again ๐Ÿ™‚ I will be contracting remotely for the same firm once we get internet connection established, but hours will be limited, and there will be no commute with the b******y trains. Latest issue was a bomb scare at the station on Thursday – I feel so sorry for the staff dealing with all these events over which they have no control.

Most of the stuff that has accumulated over nearly 14 years has been dealt with, just a couple more trips to the recycling and the tip. The movers come in on Monday, and settlement is Wednesday!

My sleeping has deteriorated further (if that was possible). I am now waking between 2 and 3 most mornings, and usually not getting back to sleep again. No wonder I am enjoying little dizzy spells, mostly when I get/stand up.

We haven’t managed to find a house to buy, and even getting something to rent has taken a couple of trips north by OH. The one we have found is a 3-bedroom apartment at Paihia, so my summer at the beach has been restored! ๐Ÿ™‚ And room for visitors… However, we haven’t signed or paid anything, or got keys yet. OH has assuaged my anxiety by getting an assurance from the agent in writing (text) that the place is ours, so the furniture can be delivered on Friday.

At least there is no anxiety about the ABs getting past pool play. ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy your weekend, girls.

Well, you seem to be getting a lot done on limited sleep, B, so I guess it’s ok.
    How exciting to actually be living the dream soon. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    My resolve is being tested with a huge crowd of house guests at present, but I’m mostly eating 16:8, with a few more catbs than usual. Ah well, short term. I slept very soundly last night, so the catbs aren’t hurting. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š P

Good to hear, P. Enjoy the family ๐Ÿ™‚ Are these the WA contingent over for the school holidays?

Yep

All seems to be going well, Barata. I’m crossing fingers for you. Are you able to watch the rugby in the middle of all this. Oooh, I envy you living near the beach. I suspect your sleeping will improve once you’re finally settled in your own house and you’ve git that work life balance.

Purple, we’ve got visitors today, a cousin I haven’t seen for years so there’ll be too much food again. We went to a lovely little Indian restaurant, family run, we just eat out too often, catching up with various people.

All sounds very exciting Barata! Maybe the sea air might help with the sleeping, it must be driving you mad!

Enjoy the family Purple and enjoy the eating out Polly! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Why is it we canโ€™t just eat what we like! ๐Ÿ˜ก

Ha ha, Carol. You can eat what you like, just not as often or in as large portions as youโ€™d like โ˜น๏ธ

Fasting didnโ€™t go well last week. I put my back out towards the end of the week and there was no chance of doing a second fast! Itโ€™s loads better now, which I put down to the strengthening and mobilising effect of Pilates this year. Certainly in previous years, itโ€™s nor righted itself so quickly.

On the subject of food…. Iโ€™ve come to a tough decision…. the granola has to go!! Iโ€™m back to just nuts, seeds, flax with my yoghurt. It fills me up and Iโ€™m not hungry again as I am with added granola. Even the not very sweet spelt and nut granola Iโ€™d found. Drat that sugar effect from the honey… ! Iโ€™ll allow myself to have some when Iโ€™ve managed to get out of the 61s!!

The carb effect is staggering, isn’t it? At least I have no trouble, at present, eating in an eight hour window.
    Glad your pilates is reaping rewards, Happy. I hope to hear of a full recovery quickly.
    Our Rugby League team won the Grand Final for the second year in a row last night. Nail biting match too! A great experience for our interstate visitors. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

So interesting to hear youโ€™re giving up the granola Happy because most significant change Ive noticed since switching to 16:8 2 weeks ago is the absence of a large tummy, no carbo craving and weight stable. All because, Iโ€™m assuming, I cut out my breakfast which included grains/Cho. They werenโ€™t simple grains – unrefined oats, quinoa, buckwheat, my own home made unsweetened muesli – but obviously that didnโ€™t matter. I canโ€™t work it out really because when I looked at the nutrient content of those foods they were all higher in protein than any other nutrient. Must just be enough CHO in there to have an impact.

Iโ€™m now regularly in the 59โ€™s, peaking at about 60 on mondays, always my heaviest day, and starting my third week of 16:8.

I donโ€™t know where your body carries its stress but mine is always in the back. Pleased youโ€™re recovering quickly though Happy, back pain is frustrating!!

Have a good week everyone!

Morning, ladies. OH like granola and has it regularly, needless to say, he tends to lose a pound then put it back on. I can’t cope with breakfast at all! Was it you, Carol, who talked about waking the hunger dragon? I might feel differently if I was still working, but it was all too easy to go from meal to meal when I retired.

So sorry to hear about your back, Happy. You’ve had a hard time lately. Glad the Pilates helped. Are you enjoying the rugby? Last Sunday’s game was traumatic! The second half, then the last 5 minutes! Don’t think I breathed!

After two delicious meals out over the weekend, I was very disciplined yesterday, ate one meal, and ended up on 130 lbs. if I’d resisted the wine and weekly ice cream it could have been less. But, hey, some enjoyment is necessary.

Polly,

Yes, I am enjoying the rugby! I canโ€™t watch the matches live on weekdays unfortunately. Just one of the downsides of working for a living…. Weโ€™ve been recording it all though for evening viewing. And I managed to pfaff around in the kitchen for several hours at the weekend…pickling things… making soup… binge watching rugby ๐Ÿ˜€

Carol,

It sounds like youโ€™re back on top of your weight? I must admit I havenโ€™t been doing 16:8 this year. Another thing Iโ€™m going to have to reintroduce if Iโ€™m going to get back to the 59-60kg range! This year has been hard professionally and Iโ€™ve really needed to be able to concentrate, so I sort of convinced myself that I needed to eat early in the day to avoid being distracted by hunger during the morning….๐Ÿ˜Š Or maybe Iโ€™ve just been having a greedy year!!

Anyway, I will be fasting tomorrow as I travel on Tuesdays with work and Iโ€™m very rarely (never!) tempted by the sort of food you find in motorway services. I may try and do a back-to-back this week, as Wednesday is a good day to fast too – I leave for Pilates before the time Iโ€™d eat in the evening and my hunger has passed by the time I get home.

And if I feel myself wavering, I shall channel both Carol and Polly!!

Hi, happy, you sound organised. It’s not so easy when you’re at work and have to concentrate, I realise. Very tense last pool game tomorrow for us. Eddie Jones is rumoured to be playing a weaker team in Pool c so they meet us in the quarter finals rather than NZ.

Hi Happy, Iโ€™m not back on top of my weight but at least Iโ€™m not crying into my porridge anymore over it! I think I just have to lower my expectations.

Good to have a plan for how your fasting day is going to go and Iโ€™ve always found having a change in routine makes it easier. Hope youโ€™re FDโ€™s are very successful Happy!

Well the effects of 16:8 havenโ€™t lasted long! ๐Ÿ˜•

Iโ€™ve been eating 3 meals/day on the weekend and admit indulging myself a bit and thatโ€™s probably the problem.

I have noticed thereโ€™s no ups and downs anymore, weight is pretty consistent throughout the week, just higher than where I want it to be.

All quiet on here so I hope that means everyone is going well! ๐Ÿ˜Š

I’m still managing 16:8 on holidays. With warm tropical weather and lots of swimming, it’s pretty easy. Although, I will say, our body clocks are completely thrown, having wound our home clocks forward only weeks ago, we have had to revert back for up north, where they don’t believe in daylight saving. So, in reality, which 8 do I eat in? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Hi all. We are now happily settled in our three-bedroom apartment one block from the beach here in warmer-than-Wellington Paihia. So room for visitors, and November already looks like it will be busy ๐Ÿ™‚ We go for daily (weather permitting) walks, and generally are enjoying relaxing. OH is starting to put out feelers for work opportunities, and I have had only the one job from my old work, where I had already started, and the client wanted me to do it.

One benefit of the move appears to be an improvement in my sleeping – I can more readily go back to sleep when awaking in the night. Long may this continue!

I am still near the top of the weight gain, but am working hard at making good choices. It helps that it’s barbeque season, so meals are mostly meat and salads.

Have a good week, all. Go the ABs!

Good morning or good evening to my friends on the other side of the world!

Great news about your move and sleeping, Barata! I’m envious of you living near a beach. I’ve had the impression that you’ve mixed feelings about work, so I hope you both have enough for your needs/wants.

Weight-wise, I’m holding on there with 16:8 at 130 or just under. Too many meals out on the slightest excuse, really. And OH is experimenting with dishes again leading to bigger portions. He’s never going to show a weight loss by the time he sees the consultant again! I couldn’t manage 3 meals a day in an eight hour window, though Carol.

Purple, your holiday sounds great. I surprised that the whole country doesn’t operate daylight saving, though. Are you in Queensland now.

It’s taken us days to recover from last Sunday’s rugby, we nearly blew it with Les Bleues! Should be a fabulous weekend of rugby. We will be shouting for the All Blacks against the old enemy. Is there the same rivalry between NZ and Australia?

Right, looking forward to a disciplined day of food

There are already 3 time zones across Australia. (and a little town on the Nullabor with it’s own). When summer comes, WA, doesn’t do daylight saving, so they go from 2 to 3 hours different to NSW, Vic and Tas. And Qld doesn’t change, so they are 1 hour behind the rest of the East Coast. It’s a big country, but still causes issues. It is on borders that the biggest issues arise. And you thought the Irish border could be solved? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    We are eating out far too much, but time limiting, and hot weather keep excess to manageable.
    Re rugby…we have to admire the All Blacks. They HAVE dominated for a long time. ๐Ÿ˜

Agree, purple. The All Blacks are phenomenal! We have intense rivalry with England, small country syndrome and resentment about how often the English use the word England when they mean the U.K. as a whole.

I’ve just been to Welsh conversation in a cafe! OMG, those cakes laid out in front of me when I was ordering my coffee! Four years ago, I’d have had a slice. Now I know I’d only eat a quarter. I would have liked said quarter, though! ๐Ÿ˜.

I totally understand. Never ask someone, because of their accent, if they are “American”. A Canadian will be very offended. The English always refer to Scot, Andy Murray, as a “Brit”, and, as Barata will tell you, we Aussies are often guilty of calling Kiwi born celebrities “Australians” because they live and work here. It’s a tough call.
    I liked a tshirt I saw in Penzance: “Cornish by birth. British by decree. English, never!” ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Yup, from Phar Lap onwards ๐Ÿ™‚ We also suffer from small country syndrome, but having the Aussies as main sports competitors certainly helps us lift our games.

FD today for OH, I had eggs and mushrooms for brunch just before midday and the usual bbq tonight. Awake since 3.30am. If I don’t start my ‘sleep, sleep’ mantra before I fully wake up that’s it – and if the dream is particularly involved I struggle to get to the correct spot to stop the wakening ๐Ÿ™ So nearly bedtime.

Glad it’s not just we Welsh! We had a lovely meal, new to us, from the 800 cal 5:2 book – Malayasian Laska. Delicious, 400 calories and there was a lot! We were both feeling stuffed – I think the recipe could have served three.

Barata, do you have any aches and pains? Might be a coincidence, but for the last two nights I’ve put Voltarol, a NSAID, on my knee an hour before bed and I’ve been delighted to sleep through the night.

Poetry this afternoon, so ‘light lunch’. Enjoy the weekend, especially the rugby, ladies!

๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ. ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ

Funny you should ask, Polly. Last night I noticed that a shoulder pain that had started when we first came north househunting (I blamed the dreadful forward-leaning headrest in the rental car) that had moved across to the other shoulder and then down to the breast, had completely gone! And no to painkillers or lotions, although a Panadol has proved helpful in the distant past…

For the sleeping, I mean. Not a habit I want to form, though ๐Ÿ™‚

Good grief, Polly! The boys need to get their act together! Hard being the only Welsh supporters in a Nth Qld pub! P

Gutted! ๐Ÿ˜ข. So evenly matched. SA good sports kicking out at end.

Thatโ€™s put a downer on the day ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Bad start to day anyway, with son’s mother-in-law crowing on FB that she’ll see the gorgeous boys in three days. ๐Ÿ˜ณ. Just jealous.

Still rugby is only a game! So they say. ๐Ÿ˜. Must not console myself with food.

Well, I had to eat, and drink, two nights in a row in order to watch the games. Pub food in the bush is not famous for it’s health benefits.๐Ÿ˜”
    It IS fun, however, sharing the excitement with tourists from all over the globe..some rugby fanatics, some interested observers, especially if they have a connection with the country playing, others trying to understand it and the rest completely unaware why people were yelling at tv screens! Lots of casual conversations about it later, too. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

Good morning, folks.

The last exhausting weekend of rugby gone. We were hammered on Saturday, congratulations to the might All Blacks. We loved how Warren gave almost the whole squad a game, though.

So pleased for South Africa . Kolisi, brought up in a township to this! Wonderful! England had an easy run through the pool stage, no real challengers, and a game off. This meant no wars of attrition and a big injury count like us.

Anyway, back to weight, OH is doing well. He’s now more disciplined than I. Bit of a panic to get some weight off before he returns to the consultant in four weeks.

Hope everyone doing well it’s moves and sleeping.

So quiet… Yes, well done SA. Not expected after we beat them in pool play, but they obviously learned from that.

Not only has my shoulder recovered, I am so happy – my sleeping is better than it has been in years!! ๐Ÿ™‚ The move, the relaxation, the semi-retirement – all combining to create an atmosphere that nothing else has been able to do. Also the dizziness that came on during the move has gone. Just my weight to address, and I am working on that. Still at the top of the range, in fact only three kgs less than when I started six years ago. But I am positive that it can be addressed.

It’s not being helped by a stream of visitors, the first couple left today and the next arrive tomorrow. Barbeques and salads rule, though.

Happy weekend, all.

Great news, Barata. I’m pleased your sleep has improved. Marvellous what retirement does, even if it’s partial. ๐Ÿ˜
    I’m sitting 2kg higher than I’d like, but have maintained it happily through trips and visitors over the last few months by 16:8, low carb. I even have 1 to 2 wines a day. I’m happy. I’m nit gaining, so no stress.No more panicking that I was continuing to gain. P

Barata, that us excellent news! Not surprising, though, since you’ve had more than your share of stress for some time and it’d over! Semi retirement is a happy medium. I enjoyed the year of supply teaching I did after retirement. The weight will come when you’re really ready. I’m on top wriggle, too. Just too many meals out.

Purple, two wines a day! Dear me – how lovely! I do the same quite often, there’s always one glass ,though. No breakfast then 16:8 seems to work.

Off to London today with daughter to see the William Blake exhibition, so it will be meals out again. ๐Ÿ˜„ heigh ho!

Enjoy the Blake exhibition, Polly.

So pleased for you Barata! So difficult coping with interrupted sleep. Positive benefits of moving!

Iโ€™m at top trigger point, doing 16:8 and few carbohydrates. Iโ€™m ok with this. Decided Iโ€™m not going to stress myself out over an extra kg or the possibility the gain may continue. Iโ€™ve been pleasantly surprised at how easy 16:8 is and give you so much more time in the morning!

Thanks, girls. Just a bit concerned about your gaining of nits though, P. ๐Ÿ™‚

I kept waking up in the night, thinking I had jinxed my new sleeping patterns by my announcement yesterday, and then kept going straight back to sleep! Nine good hours! ๐Ÿ™‚

One week without alcohol has been completed. I am doing a dry November – for no good reason except that I am on a roll with my health and thought I would see if there are any benefits. None yet, but holding the course. It helps that all the visitors this month are low/no alcohol imbibers.

I second that, Carol ๐Ÿ˜

Yay, my first sailing lesson this morning! I have joined part-way through a course of beginners, made up of 7 – 11-year-olds ๐Ÿ™‚ . I didn’t actually get into a sailing boat, was used as spotter on one of the inflatable chase boats, but itching to get into it next week. Plenty of boating in my childhood, but I have never actually sailed. When my brothers had their boats we were off overseas, or at least didn’t live close.

Second lot of visitors left this morning, next couple arriving tomorrow. We will definitely take a break after this. Weight down a few grammes this morning in spite of dinner out last night.

Good on you, B! Mr P has tried to get me to do a sailing course for years. We’ve owned lots of sailing boats, and I understand the principle (can even give advice ๐Ÿ˜‰), but really prefer to paddle or swim. ๐Ÿ˜
    We keep cruusing (๐Ÿคญ) along on our current diet, happy with where we are. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š P

I’m so keen to get behind the mast ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Mr P continues to heal, I hope, P?

We’ve just had a very active line of thunderstorm move through. I wish I could send the rain west, to help with your dreadful fires.

Yes please ๐Ÿ˜•

Oh, horrified to see the news this morning and those horrendous fires in Queensland and NSW. This is way out of the ordinary for that part of Australia, I think. And some people think global warming is a myth! Rain dances all round needed! Parts of England have too much – dreadful floods in parts of Yorkshire.

Good on you with the sailing, Barata. It’s good to do new things, even if we want to join a class of kids! I’d like to learn to ride. Been trying to persuade a friend to come with me.

Carol, 16:8 is so easy and then it’s easy to stick to one meal if you’re very busy and breaking the fast has been around 2 pm. Daughter and I did that on Thursday, after our wander around South Bank, attempt to get last minute tickets for Translations at the National Theatre.

We did see an amazing musical/opera called ‘Come From Away’. It’s based on the three story following 9/11, when American airspace was closed and 38 planes were stuck in Gander, Newfoundland. The people of this small community rallied around, fed and watered them, looking after them. It was very

Managed weight ok, as we walked miles, both in London’s streets, but we also went to the National Gallery, then my wonderful Blake in Tate Britain, of course. It was lovely up see original copies of Songs of Innocence and Experience, they are tiny! And those beautiful engravings are exquisite. I’d never seen his engravings for Paradise Lost, loved those, too.

The fires are indeed unprecedented, Polly. This situation has been predicted for many years, but totally ignored by our governments. Not dissimilar to the US when another gun massacre occurs…an outcry, then no genuine action. We all know climate change has occurred…the evidence is all over the globe…but still the money makers refuse to see.
    They have declared the fire danger in the Sydney region tomorrow as “catastrophic ” for the first time. Let’s hope they are wrong. P

Hello Purple.
    I can’t get onto my usual thread so just popping in to say I am thinking about you in view of the terrible fires. The NZ news is giving a lot of time to your situation.
    I am not yet maintaining so can’t yet join your thread for real.
    Xx Wiwi

Viewing 50 posts - 11,151 through 11,200 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.