The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,051 through 11,100 (of 11,673 total)

• Thanks. Lots of family support. They are wonderful. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Well, Happy and PVE, you have more thin about than maintaining at the moment. Do you have any family near you up there, Happy? It’s a hard time for you. Pob lwc.

Pol.

Ha ha, Polly, I like your ‘more thin about…’ slip! Most appropriate at the end of a fast day (broken by gin ๐Ÿ˜Š).

Sadly, the family are all far flung – the joy of moving around with work. They’re at the end of the phone though and supportive. On the plus side, its probably not a bad thing they aren’t next door, otherwise I might be tempted not to take responsibility for my own life! I don’t really want to move back in with Dad at the age of 50… much as he’d love that ๐Ÿคฃ

Grrr, just posted and lost it. I’m more crack handed than usual as I’ve got a plaster on my thumb joint, making it stiff. Gardening without gloves and an open cut was not sensible. It’s now looking rather red.

Bless you,Happy, you’re only two years older than my daughter. Hope things improve soon.

Pol. ๐Ÿท๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ

Are well, I might as well join you both, even though it’s 4:50am. ๐Ÿท P

Isnโ€™t it a blessing, gin being virtually calorie free?! (If you know otherwise, please donโ€™t tell me: I donโ€™t wish to know.)

Fast,

Apparently you can have a single measure of gin with a diet mixer for just 54 calories ๐Ÿ˜€

Definitely worth going without something else for……

I’ve always said, give me a glass of wine (110 cals) over a muffin (300) anytime. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿท

As always, the Purple one speaks Truth

Oh, I wish there could be a thanks or laugh button! ๐Ÿฅ‚. Vodka is good, too.

But you can have 2 glasses of wine instead of a muffin, P, and still be in deficit… ๐Ÿคฃ

Just in town drinking coffee… alone! Yesterday’s fast went well and I’m feeling positive this morning, if a little tired. I am developing a real hatred of the noise of jackdaws, why can’t they get up quietly at 5am?!!!

Anyway, gardening today and a long walk to hopefully distract me from over eating for one day at least. I have a few social events through August and although I know I’m far from fat, I’d like to get rid of the 2kg sitting on my hips.

At least itโ€™s 5am now, Happy, not 4.15 – though I donโ€™t like what that means about the passing of โ€˜summerโ€™. One (dis)advantage of the need for hearing aids is that Iโ€™m no longer woken by the birds.
    Enjoy your coffee, and your day x

Mr P is the same, Fast. Sirens and helicopters never wake him.
    Enjoy your potter in the garden, Happy. (I myst Hoogle “jackdaws”, I’ve only ever encountered them in Edward Lear!

Happy, you must have better weather up there than here in North Wales. I’d fully intended to do some serious weeding today, but it’s raining. Fasting, sadly I don’t hear the birds any longer. For a few years I’d thought that larks had disappeared before someone pointed out that it was my hearing. I do hear the big Flintshire choughs, though noisy things.

Now choughs I know! Even know how to pronounce it! It’s the Cornish blood ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
    You’ll have to move here ,Poll. You wouldn’t miss our noisy birds… cockatoos, kookaburras, whipbirds, lorrikeets…all make a terrible ruckus!!!
    I Googled jackdaws…like our Australian ravens, which are often called crows. They are noisy too, but the cockies beat them all!!!

We have ravens, crows and rooks too, all superficially similar corvids. But it’s only the jackdaws that come down mob-handed to raid the bird table and the hen food. It’s the breeding season at the moment, so they’re particularly persistent, bold and vocal โ˜น

Polly,

Sorry that you can’t hear the larks any longer. I am now trying to think of it as a blessing that I can still hear the jackdaws..

Yes, the weather is glorious here in Cumbria! Forecast 19, but we are in a sheltered sun trap so its several degrees warmer in the garden. I have retreated inside temporarily to cool off. Mean of me I know, but I hope it’s raining in south Wales too – my Dad is there and convinced that everything is always better there…!

Oooh, Happy, I’m glad you didn’t curse North Wales with rain. Hope you are doing ok, there.

My news is that I’ve bought a talking scales! It’s only from Lidl, ๐Ÿ˜„. but the other one was battered from weighing suitcases and looked tatty in our new bathroom. This is a smart glass one OH would not use the new one for a few days in case I overheard the verdict. He’s doing okay, though, but gets bothered by the variation. We’ve both been very disciplined since the holiday and back to normal.

We haven’t heard from Barata for a while. Hope she’s well.
    Pol.

๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ Poor man! Afraid to releave all?

Still here, Polly, with nothing to report except I’m still struggling with those kgs that are determined to stick around. I so want not to have to move up a pants size. But gone is the fall in weight after a FD, so non-FDs have to be very careful. Definitely no muffins! I have put a halt to the slow creep for now, at least.

I’m so sorry to hear of your relationship woes, Happy. As the others have said, you will get all the support you need here. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am gathering you will be staying on with the chooks?

My milk kefir hasn’t forgiven me for the last freezer banishment while we were cruising, still has a nasty taste but possibly coming right now. I haven’t dared mention to it that we will be away next weekend (flying north to start house-hunting ๐Ÿ™‚ ), but will just use the fridge this time. Yes, things are finally under way! We’ve been busy cleaning out under the house – son is SUCH a scavenger and hoarder, and we haven’t addressed his bedroom yet, a joy for tomorrow – and my spring cleaning has started early this year ๐Ÿ™‚ . Most of the items on my to-do list are for son – get rid of this vehicle and that vehicle, this trailer and that! He plans to stay in Wellington for now, so will have to find accommodation, preferably furnished and including meals as he works such long hours, six days a week!

How about the cricket, eh? Bring on the Poms tomorrow, I say! OH has even put a little wager on the Black Caps.

Time to batten down the hatches, some nasty weather coming overnight from the West Island. Have a great weekend, all.

Oh Polly, talking scales! The shame! I think I’d only want to stand on them in private too!

I’ve done a bit of half-hearted fasting this week, enough to hold steady but no more.

Barata,

No long term plans sorted yet, we’re still in a volatile phase โ˜น We will have to sell up to split the assets, but I’m not intending to move til then. That is likely to be several months off yet, but I’ve cheered myself up with looking at what’s available able in my future price range and I think that I’ll be OK.

Good luck with your house hunting.

And may the best team (from the northern hemisphere ๐Ÿ˜) win…!

There are TWO teams in this comp, Happy, and one of them is from Down Under ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re looking forward to the cricket and at least the final is on free to air TV. I a friend who is a huge cricket fan staying here at the moment, so it’ll be start with coffee and move on to wine.

Good to here from you, Barata. I have immense sympathy with you attempts to declutter. OH is the villain here. Good luck with that and the house hunt.

Happy, holding steady is good!

Pol. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ

Well, what a game of cricket! It was an honourable draw – at least on points ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Polly. Son spent some of his Sunday clearing out clothes – some that don’t fit any more as he has lost weight. My example is having some benefit, but he’s got quite a bit more to lose. The clothes pile was a metre high, and I see some still lingering in my car after he took them for recycling. Baby steps, but I really have to stand over him and OH to get anything done.

Indeed, Barata! It couldn’t have been closer could it? But as to it being a draw…?! You’re a funny lady ๐Ÿคฃ (well I hope it’s a joke rather than you being a sore loser…๐Ÿ˜)

Agreed, a brilliant game. We were switching back and fore to the tennis, which went to 13-12 in that final set. Back to the cricket we thought it was a draw and left to eat the meal which was already on the table. No idea about a ‘super over’ so had a shock when we saw the news! And that final run! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Work finished in the house. Last visitor home today. Back to normal. Apart from Indian meal with friends tonight. Weight ok, though on 127.

I guess someone has to win. The Poms need the morale booster ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Not a joke, Happy. The game itself ended equally, twice, and was decided on a technicality. But I’m pleased it was England, in your home competition, who took the trophy if it couldn’t be us.

Barata,

damn those technicalities that some call rules…!

Great match though, and as you say an honourable performance from both sides.

Lovely day here again. Toying with fasting, although I’m being kind to myself at the moment so if it doesn’t feel right I’m not forcing it.

It’s a beautiful day for flying north to start the house-hunting for real. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to co-ordinate the sale here, and the purchase there ๐Ÿ™‚ . Our agent here is chomping on the bit to get started selling – thinks it will only take a few weeks, especially as there are about half the number of houses on the market in our suburb than there was before winter.

Both the sleep and the weight are deteriorating. I am at my heaviest yet since my 5:2 success. Are they causally related, or just correlated? Here’s hoping when we do move, and settle, I will be able to sort both issues out.

As I am also at my heaviest since reaching my goal and sleeping poorly. They could be related, B. But then, we’ve had a lot of reason not to sleep. First Mr P and now, a brand new baby granddaughter! I might spend the rest of my life sleepy, but happy ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘

Congratulations, P! Will you be able to see lots of her?

So sorry you’re still having trouble sleeping, Barata and P. Possibly weight and sleep are related maybe tiredness means less exercise, definitely less energy. I had a night owl friend staying for three nights, so I was washed out on Tuesday after tai chi. The new teacher works us harder, too. Weight ok on 127, with the talking scales. OH is also still on his downward path, albeit slowly and annoyed by the odd variation.

I guess it’s about time I stuck my head above the parapet. I’ve just checked and the last time I posted was late March. At my advanced age, it would not be unreasonable for anyone to assume I’d shuffled off this mortal coil. However, no clogs have been popped, no perches been fallen off, no buckets been kicked. It all boils down to one word – work.

My job – freelance translator – is a case of feast or famine. After a worryingly slow period last autumn, with no more than the occasional “snack”, I started to wonder whether I had been put out to grass by direct clients and those colleagues who are much better than me at touting for business and who frequently come up with major projects in which I can share.

I needn’t have worried. Beginning before Christmas came a biggy, a history of photography to accompany an exhibition at a major museum, shared with several colleagues and lasting until late February. After a steady flow of art-related stuff to keep the wolf from the door (and the brain in gear), in mid-April I suddenly became flavour of the month with two huge commissions from a German publisher I’ve worked with for many years on English translations. One, a new edition of book about the wonderfully bonkers Gaudi’s architecture in and around Barcelona, was just for me, the other, the history of a famous brand of trainers and sports shoes, had to be shared with a colleague. Not so much a feast as a huge blow-out.

All this meant I was working flat out to meet the final deadline for both projects, namely 1st July. At which point, I collapsed in a small heap. It’s good I can still hack it, turning in a really good job by, and often before, the deadline. Not quite so good is said collapse in a small heap and the 10 days or more it takes to fully recover, but I can live with it.

Apart from that, during the slower periods, I’ve been working on family ancestry – the things you do for 10-year-old great-nephews. Cutting to the chase, I’ve thought for a long time we are descended from French Huguenots – Protestants persecuted by the French Catholic authorities in the 16th and 17th century, and taking refuge in other parts of Europe. They settled in large numbers in London’s East End, where they practised their skills as silk weavers. What look like reliable records dating back to the 1600s have proved me right. Thanks to maternal grandad and his forebears we are definitely of mainland Europe descent, which is why we are all Remainers, totally p***ed off at the antics of our so-called government and the prospect of having a nutcase as Prime Minister.

We’ve been wondering about you, Herm. Busy bee!

Hi Poll. Thanks, yes, they live in the same city, now, but 40 minutes drive away, so not terribly local. Still, that is a lot closer than some of our grandies. ๐Ÿ™„ And she is irresistibly gorgeous. ๐Ÿ˜„
    Well, Hermaj, I WAS beginning to wonder!! But nothing could keep you down so I knew you would turn up again, eventually. And I’m jolly glad you did. Great to hear the work is still pouring in, so you can keep Him Indoors well fed and watered out their in your new habitat.
    I have, indirect Huguenot connections. My 2x great grandmother had a Huguenot stepdad. They migrated here from Norfolk in the early 1800s. It is an interesting period when Catherine drove them out of France, isn’t it? No wonder we are Francophiles.
    We have am idiot PM, ourselves. It seems to be par for the course, worldwide, at present. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
    I’m finding fasting nigh on impossible with Mr P having to eat frequently. I choose sensible food, mostly vegetarian, but it might be a while before I can climb back on the slim girl’s horse. P

As you say, Pol, a busy bee. Not too busy at the moment. Trouble is, when there are no jobs to do, deadlines to meet, I just faff around doing nothing in particular. Now that the schools are breaking up, I don’t even have my weekly Schoolreader session with my lovely Year 4s, two hours of fun which I thoroughly enjoy while, hopefully, convincing the kids of the pleasure of reading, something which many of them have already discovered.
    Purple, it’s nice to know we both have French connections. Now we are based in the East of England, a trip to Norfolk – via Him Indoors’s native Suffolk – could be worthwhile.

Hi everyone! Iโ€™ve been wondering where you all were but itโ€™s was me that had been dropped off the email list!

Such a lot has happened that Iโ€™ve missed out on but generally sounds as though life is going on as per normal – ups and downs for everyone.

Hi Carol, nice to hear from you!
    Monday, fast day again. I’m struggling to climb back on the horse again after all the domestic “excitement “, but managed last Thursday and WILL succeed today.
    Interestingly, we ate out at a home dinner party the other day. I ate only half of each dish, no nibbles and limited wine. Not intentionally,but because I was enjoying the company and didn’t need to eat. The others ate lots of canapes, demolished their food in no time, then turned to chocolates, nuts etc. I was staggered to see how much others eat. There is no way I eat like that, and yet still struggle to control my weight.
    NOT FAIR! P ๐Ÿ˜•

I agree, P. Most unfair. Glad you are in a position to get back on the fasting, though, after all the family has been through over the past few weeks. Mr P continuing to flourish under your tender care?

We have had our house-hunting trip north, but failed to find our ideal place. A couple of houses might have suited, but one had too much land, and the other too little. At least we have a better idea of the area, and now a bevy of agents hunting for us. There are not many properties on the market, being the middle of winter, so we may well rent for a while until the warmer weather. By the same token there are few houses for sale here, so we could well get a premium price. If I can finish the cleaning and tidying… first open home in 13 days! And the agent comes tomorrow for interior photos.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your house hunting trip, B, and are firming up ideas.
    I’ve ended my 24 hour fast with a bowl of steaming hot veg soup. Thank goodness I cook soup en masse and freeze. It means a very quick meal.
    We kept busy, me fasting, him not having to anymore ๐Ÿ˜•, by a long scenic train trip. $2.50, unlimited travel for retired folk. Excellent for food avoidance, with a long walk either end. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ P

The train trip sounds great Purple, I love train travel. Unfortunately in SA we donโ€™t have that Great rail network you have over there. Creative idea for whiling away the time and congrats on a successful fast. ๐Ÿ˜Š I finished my fast with a bowl of home made celery soup. Great minds….

Barata, refresh my memory – is it Brisbane youโ€™re house hunting?

Sadly, the weight is the same today, Carol ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Hi Carol. No, not Australia, but the Bay of Islands in the north of New Zealand. I think Kerikeri will fit the bill. This area is the centre of tourism in the north, and OH wants to continue working and would be happy driving in either the tourism or taxi industries.

I feel your pain, P. ๐Ÿ™ My Monday FD soup was great, I gave it ten out of ten, and the boys were most complimentary.

Enjoy your trip to Norfolk, Hermaj. When we visited the town was closed, both the castle and the cathedral ๐Ÿ™ . Spectacularly lovely old buildings though (especially for this New World visitor!)

The first snow warning in the southern mountains has been issued today, and we are well through winter. The ski fields have been surviving on snow-makers.

We may have not quite won the cricket, but didn’t our Ferns do us proud. We have such terrific sports people for our five million inhabitants. ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning, all. Talking scales is/are going well for OH. Ok for me too. We’ve got the gorgeous boys here for the week as son has to go to Chester, 15 miles away and then to Sweden. We went to the zoo yesterday. Tiring but good as usual, plenty of exercise.

The idea of driving as when needed, and you feel like it, sounds like a good idea, Barata. Might a tourist area be a pain to live in, though? I love the name Kerikeri. Good luck with your sale.

Purple, all day travel for $2.50! The joys of retirement indeed!

We can forget the cricket now – the build up to the best game is starting! Can’t wait!

Disappointing Purple but there may be a loss tomorrow, fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Keri Keri is a lovely name isnโ€™t it, sounds very interesting and quaint. Good luck with it all Barata.

I always enjoy the zoo too Polly, lots of walking without noticing really.

We go to Brisbane on the weekend for eldest grandsons birthday and then off on the annual pilgrimage to Canada on Tuesday. Canโ€™t wait to see them all.

No weighing when Iโ€™m away but somehow Iโ€™ve always managed to stay within my limits, hopefully it will work again this year but may not! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Morning, friends. I’ve just about recovered from the gorgeous boys, actually it was getting up at 5am to take them to the airport which finished me.

Although I’ve been busy I’ve fallen into the complacency trap again and am indulging myself with ice cream far too often – load of ironing, hot and bothered – I deserve a choc ice lolly! Hence, I’m just just on top wriggle room. This time last year I was a couple of pounds under bottom wriggle room.

Barata, I’m wondering how your house search is going. We have an area called Ceri in Wales, too and it’s a popular name for both girls and boys.

Purple, are you ‘back on the horse’? I was impressed at your discipline at dinner. I indulged in sticky toffee pudding yesterday, then was ashamed of myself.

Carol, you’ll be enjoying Canada by now I imagine.

Happy, last, but definitely not least, I hope things have improved for you. We’ve got Wales v England to look forward to tomorrow. Hope it’s not just on flipping Sky!

Pol. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ

Hi Pol Glad you enjoyed your time with the boys.
    I have a simple solution…don’t iron, then you can’t reward yourself with ice cream!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    I have resmed regular twice weekly fasts and mindful eating, and have not lost any weight! I’m currently way over my limit (4 kg) and totally unable to shift it. Not getting any results certainly reduces the will to fast, but I have been doing it for so many years now, 24 hours food free is not really very hard.
    We are experiencing the coldest winter we’ve had, so at least the extra kgs are keeping me warmer. Snow fell 1 1/2 hours west of here yesterday, with strong, dangerous winds blasting us with chilly air.
    On a positive note, Mr P bought me a couple of air purifiers, one for the bedroom and one in the lounge. I can’t believe how effective they are for reducing the problems I have with hayfever!!!
    It’s early here, and cold, I’d best snuggle back under the covers for a bit longer. Cheers to you all Maintenance mates. P

And then your cold air tumbles over the Tasman, P, and hits us broadside! Interesting about the air purifiers, son suffers from hayfever in spring and it might be worth considering for his room. I am also well above original lowest weight still, 5kgs. Do I need to believe this is my new set weight? The worry is that I will continue to increase, must take myself in hand once all the upheaval of selling / buying / moving is done.

We have our first open home this afternoon, and all is in readiness except for the last-minute tidying – and wielding a paintbrush for a little touch-up! I will have my slow-cooking roast in the oven. No-one has been taken through the house yet, and the agent is expecting a good crowd with the pent-up interest that has been building (in spite of the predicted rain with strong winds and possible thunderstorms!)

I have been awake since before four (again!) so have tiredness on top of all the other stuff going on. ๐Ÿ™

There are a few more properties coming on the market in Kerikeri, but nothing that makes us want to put in an offer. There may be another trip north soon to check out the latest offerings when there are more likely candidates available.

It is a terrible thought that we will just continue to get bigger, B. At least we know how to fast.
    All the best this afternoon. P

Hi everyone! Just ending our brief holiday here in Disneyland. I must say we werenโ€™t looking forward to this, thought it was something meant for kids – how wrong we were! Itโ€™s been amazing!

The food in the US is quite different to what weโ€™re used to at home and Iโ€™ve been indulging myself a little. However, weโ€™ve been making early starts to the day and weโ€™re staying in a hotel room with limited facilities so just having fruit for breakfast. That, combined with all the walking has meant weight is stable (Iโ€™m judging by my clothes). Last night however I ate something that must have been contaminated and spent a bit of time over the toilet bowl so am feeling quite light this morning albeit a bit under par.

This experience has reminded me it is still calories in vs calories out and increasing activity and eating less can have an impact.

Maybe the weight gain weโ€™ve all been experiencing could be challenged by changing our habits around.

Polly, little kids are hard work (weโ€™re here with a 5 & 7 year old). I havenโ€™t reached for the ice cream but have reached for the wine!

Temperature here has been low 80โ€™s but I heard from friends ADELAIDE has just had its coldest day all winter!

Viewing 50 posts - 11,051 through 11,100 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.