The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,101 through 11,150 (of 11,673 total)

• You were wise to escape the winter, Carol. Make the most of your time with the grandies.
    I see my new little darling every few days. Irresistible! 😏😏

Carol, you must be like us with the grandchildren, generally dependent on FaceTime I think we’ve got the idea age, 5 and7 for you, 6 and 7 for me. Already there are signs of growing up – they say Dad, not Daddy any more. Bit less generous with the cwtches and holding hands is rare. Needless to say, I envy you, purple.

Good luck with your open house, Barata. Not easy in foul weather. No wonder you can’t shift the weight, enough to think about. Oops, it’s Purple who can’t shift the weight. Sorry. 😧

Australia beat the All Blacks yesterday making Wales number 1! Of course, we play England today, so there’s every chance that will change. Can’t see it as it’s only on Sky. Damn RFU sold their souls.

Polly, P and I are a couple – both of us have increased since the initial success of 5:2, drat it πŸ™

And yes to Wales at No.1 (for the moment, just wait until next weekend). Congrats to the Wallabies, they played the better game.

I understand, Polly. Some of my grandies are on the other side of the country…that’s a VERY long way! Luckily some are local. They grow up and change so quickly. Little miss 6 ate out with us for lunch and was very grown up. A real pleasure.
    I’m always conscious of the Monday fast looming on Sunday. I’m enjoying a glass of red and nuts by the fire. It’s been a very chilly day, with icy wind, rain and cold, so I need an early evening warm up. 😏😏
    I hope your open house went well, Barata. I’m sure you’ll get this chill too. P

Very well, we were told, P, about 40 people – including a few nosey neighbours, but that’s inevitable πŸ™‚ The rain and wind held off, thankfully. Another two weeks, then we will assess what offers may have been made.

Thanks B, I didn’t dare mention the Bledisloe. πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
    Don’t knock nosey neighbours, they often tell others about the house. Word of mouth is vital. P

Hi,

Of the tips from the US I favour eating breakfast as a way to maintain weight, as long as one is not already rather full from a meal the night before. Breakfast seems to give a nice boost and helps with blood sugar maintenance and food choices through the day.

No, many, if not most of us, find maintaining is easiest on a 16:8 approach. I suppose one could have breakfast and lunch, but they tend to be closer together. Secondly, evening meals are more socialable.

Breakfast seems to set appetite going.

In order to keep bloodsugars steady, skipping breakfast and limiting high gi foods are the 2 most important tips. I’m totally with Polly. A late brunch and early dinner of satiating, healthy, fresh foods are the way to go. Frequent eating certainly stimulates the appetite, causing overeating. P

Daisy is not a fan of intermittent fasting,and has been busy today telling people on lots of threads to eat more food. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked for her, but I’m not sure why she’s trying to sabotage everyone else’s efforts…

Yes Happy, she has been very busy, all afternoon, dropping posts into a variety of threads, undermining fasting, and yet she seems to have understood the principles a year ago. Very strange. I wonder what the back story is?
    P

I was wondering about Daisy’s motives,too. Perhaps there’ll be a fancyeasy-peasy diet recommendation soon.

Apparently eat as much, and as often, as you like and you’ll be ok. It brings a whole new understanding to “weight maintenance “. Eat what you like and you WILL “maintain” your weight. Just a shame it is in the obesity range!!

Everybody busy getting on with enjoying this wonderful life? πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘P

Lol are you being facetious Purple?

We’re having a good time although the summer weather has been disappointing, cool days with a few days in the low 20’s. I’ve packed all the wrong clothes so had to do a quick purchase of a few items πŸ˜‰

No idea what my weight is but clothes still ok and I seem to have slipped into a 2 meals a day pattern, so not unduly worried. I still did my FD on Monday. Plenty of time to lose it when I get home If I’ve put it on.

Hope the weather is starting to fine up a bit at home. πŸŒ²πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

I often have to purchase clothes, due to misjudging predicted weather, when away. Some of my favourite items!
    The temps are up and down here..lows of 7, highs of 23. Lots of layers.
    I’ve been doing strict 2 meals, very low carb, but HAD to eat breakfast this morning..I was too cold πŸ™„
    Enjoy your trip. P

Purple, you seem to be having British weather – something different every day. We are stuck weight wise, I’m on top wriggle room as there’s always an excuse for some treat. Yesterday I had poetry group at my house and a friend brought a delicious lemon drizzle cake. OH just can’t get under that 16st.

Shame about your weather, carol. Good excuse to buy clothes, though. πŸ˜„.

Great game of rugby last week. It’s a good feeling to be #1, albeit very briefly. I wonder if there’s too many warm up games, though.

Pol.

My son is complaining about the same weather on the other side of the country, Poll. Freezing at night, warm days. His brother’s family spend every weekend heading south from Sydney to go snow skiing. Might as well. Best falls in years, while the state is in the grip of drought. Madness!
    I’ve managed to get my overweight down a bit with being very strict. Boring, but it’s working. Ho hum. P

Hi everyone, I’m back from Canada, 300g above my top trigger point which is a miracle really considering the amount of CHO I ate. I was actually too scared to get on the scales but eventually got the courage.
    Canadian food is very much carbo based and sadly, once I’d had some of it I was hooked on it again. I missed one FD because I just couldn’t do it. I tried, but it was just too hard. Generally walking compensated for the extra calories consumed on holidays but didn’t happen this time.

Since I’ve been home it’s just been a slow increase and now I’m heavier than what I was when I got home although I’ve been eating healthy, fasted and done a 16:8.

MM was being interviewed on Adelaide radio this week and he’s now promoting 16:8, consuming 800 calories/day.

I just feel I’m now on this crazy weight merry-go-round which was my main motivation for doing 5:2 anyway. Do I go to 16:8/800 calories or do I just keep persevering knowing I’m probably just going to have a slow steady weight gain until my body gets to where it wants to be.

Feeling very despondent ATM. ☹️

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling low, particularly after your holiday. Post-holiday blues? And the weight on top…?

I’m not surprised you gained weight in Canada, I always have when I’ve been there or the States for 3 weeks. The carbs, the portion sizes, just being out of your own habits/ away from your own food.

I’m still maintaining in the 61-62kg range, which is actually fine just higher than the 59-60 that I’d (mostly) settled at. I know my ‘problem’ is non-fast days, I’m just not as disciplined as I was, and I haven’t been as active this year.

I don’t think it’s a slow and steady creep back up to where I was pre 5:2 though. But it does seem to be a new ‘set weight’ just at the moment.

You’ve not got anything to lose trying 16:8 and 800 calories, if you can do it. I really need to do one meal a day on fast days as I’m pathetically weak willed once I start eating!

Other than the carbs, you had a good time though?

Hi Happy, it’s just the weight that’s depressing me!😊. And it’s not so much the weight as the impact – already I’ve noticed a couple of pairs of pants are not as comfortable as they were because I put the weight straight on to my stomach and back of the hips.

So easy to see why there is such a weight problem in North America when you see the food that’s consumed. I know Australia is also a nation of fatties but we look positively slim compared to the people I saw in Canada.

I think you’re probably right about the non FD’s too. Although I eat salad most days, I add a few nice little pieces like cheese and pickled onions. Plus, it’s probably a bigger serve than I really need.

I’m turning into a grumpy old woman πŸ˜‚

Hope all is going well for you Happy.

I’m impressed, Carol! Only 300gms? That’s brilliant.
    I’m finding 16:8 and low carb a nice satisfying change after years of 2 x 24 hour fasts per week. I’m much happier, and my weight is under control, although, like Happy, at a new, higher set weight, but well within healthy range.
    We joined the kids at the Climate Action Strike today, among 100,000 others. I took an apple, in a paper bag. Worked well, while the rest of the family ate carbs. My wine came later πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ P

Good morning, ladies. Carol, you are not on your own! Back from a week in Cyprus late on Wednesday and a pound over target – that’s after really trying to be sensible when confronted by fabulous food choices. We had breakfast, included of course, and our evening meal, but no lunch. We managed on a drink and the accompanying little pot of nuts and seeds. I also ate fabulous salads every day. Unfortunately, we discovered the olive bread. I could have wolfed a loaf.

To cap it OH went and bought an olive loaf yesterday, so breakfast at 1pm was salad and a slice, then wine group last night with some lovely cheese, which had to be accompanied by bread! Another pound on the scales today, 😣.

So it’s back to a calorie counting 16:8 life, although a couple of FDs needed to kick start discipline, I think.

World Cup starts today! Luckily most of our games will be in the morning. Australia will be our biggest test in the pool stages, I think. There’s going to be a sedentary few weeks ahead!

Enjoy it πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰

Our Rugby League and AFL (Aussie Rules) finals are on now, so we are having a few weeks of excitement, Polly. Fingers crossed our team retains the Trophy!
    I think, girls, the sad reality is everyone eats to much these days. We are lucky we discovered managing systems. P

After 6 years of fasting for 24 hours on Mondays and Thursdays, I’m enjoying the change to 16:8 every day. I just did a mental comparison…not counting the 12 hour normal overnight fasting, fasting twice a week gives an extra 24 hours; not eating until at least 11 every day gives an extra 24.5 hours!
    I AM enjoying not having to think about which day of the week it is, as it is easy to not eat until lunch.
    Food for thought! πŸ₯­πŸπŸ“πŸ…πŸ†πŸ₯•πŸ₯¦πŸŒ½ P πŸ˜‹

Ok, those of you doing 16:8 can you give me a rough breakdown of what you’re eating when?

Are you still having a FD with 16:8?

I’ve been thinking about 800 calls/day which most of the time would be achievable, except if you go out anywhere. I’ve also thought one meal a day I could easily give up is the evening meal. Often, I have a bit of a healthy nibble around 4:30 and I’m sure that would actually sustain me with maybe a bit more substantial nibble. However, that is the only meal of the day we sit down together at the table and I know my husband enjoys his evening meal so I won’t stop cooking for him.

I dare say I have an unhealthy relationship with eating but one of the things that’s important for me are the rituals and traditions involved with eating. I love to set the table, use the fine china cup, use a saucer, create an atmosphere or experience I guess. I love serving food when entertaining. It’s actually a creative experience for me in a way and somehow the type of food I choose gets caught up in that.

Anyway, this morning I’m pouring over old 5:2 notes looking at how many cals in all my meals because I know Happy is right that my non FD’s have become a bit of a free for all!
    😊

Absolutely, Carol. The ritual of eating is a vital social occassion. I find I have to go outside and garden or hang out washing when Mr P eats his breakfast porridge. I DO miss doing crosswords together over breakfast. At least we can sit over a long lunch and dinner every day now.
    My pattern is a black coffee, at about 9am and again at 11:30; lunch at about 12 and dinner about 6:30. I carry a small apple and water with me if I’m out and may be tempted. I have a mix of salad (red cabbage, grated carrot, shredded kale and spinach, capsicum, chilli, corn, sesame and pupmkin seeds…with many variations), mixed up in the fridge. I simply add some protein, depending what Mr P is eating..hard boiled egg, smoked or fresh fish, prawns, chicken or fish skewers (with onion, eggplant, capsicum etc on it). I find it quite simple to cook his and use part for me. Another favourite is meat sauce, veg layers, lasagne (no pasta). I eat a little, with my slaw. I also have a small bowl of fresh berries, nuts and plain yoghurt in the evening. I have a glass of wine every day, too!
    I don’t count calories and I find I simply don’t sleep if I don’t have an evening meal. The slaw based meals really keep me satiated and breakfast is easy to skip.
    When eating out, I simply choose a dish that has maximum veg and minimum carbs.
    I think we all need to do a rejig occassionally to keep on our toes.
    Good luck. P

Thanks Purple, that’s very helpful and inspiring! You’ve given me food for thought πŸ˜‚

I just have coffee when I get up, two cups with a splash of milk and maybe another later in the morning if I need it. Breakfast is usually 12.30 to 1, usually porridge with a banana or berries. Our evening meal is about 6.30, usually something from Mimi’s recipe books, so lots of veg, some meat or fish for OH, but hardly any carbs.

Aubergine dishes are great, layered as lasagne, pans of ratatouille usually do two days and one portion frozen for another day. Desserts are usually yoghurt with a couple of satsumas, very time-consuming to peel and depith. My weekly treat is ice cream, usually on Saturday, but I had it yesterday instead. Confession – too much ice cream last night, as there was not enough in the box to split, but once I’d eaten it I realised it was too much to eat. Of course, I did! 😌.

I don’t have a FD usually.

Sounds similar, Polly. I use eggplant (aubergine), spinach and sliced, precooked sweet potato as my layers in lasagne. I use turkey and pork mince these days. I never eat ice cream (or chocolate). They just dont appeal. 😏 P

Thanks Polly, that sounds good too. I like the idea of a weekly treat. 😊

I think I’ll have a go at the aubergine/eggplant lasagne tomorrow night.

Here I am, wide awake again at 5am. I took a sleeping pill three hours ago, but they no longer have any affect on me. The sleeping has become much worse and if I awake that’s it for the night.

We have sold the house, confirmation on Monday, and we have two weeks to get out! Most of the years of accumulation has been cleared now, and OH has rushed north to look at rental properties.

I am seriously considering retiring. I was planning to work remotely once we move, but I am so getting over it. The only reason to continue would be to have something to occupy myself with once we are in a strange place, not knowing anyone in town. We plan to get active in the community, but all that takes time to establish.

And with all this (and particularly the sleeping, I believe) the weight continues to creep on. I’m sitting at 64.x kgs now, having gained more than half the original losses. So depressing πŸ™ I maintain 5:2, low carbs, two meals a day, and have been able to cut out the evening snacks (apart from a handful of nuts and a few squares of dark chocolate for dessert).

No point going back to bed now, so I will make a cup of tea, and watch the dawn.

Barata,

Great news on the house! Not long now til your next chapter begins. Fingers crossed it also marks a turning point sleep- and weight-wise for you.

Here, work continues to be nearly overwhelmingly hard. And not made easier by my domestic situation and the lack of support. Unfortunately, as a result I’m doing too much stress eating. And I’m definitely going to have to ban granola from the house…😊 Fasting has so far failed two days in a row, so I’m probably going to try for a back to hack or maybe 3 days of OMAD this week. Still just treading water in the 61-62 range.

Good morning Barara
    I’m sorry to hear of your sleep and weight issues, but look at everything that has been going on! Selling houses is as stressful as divorce! Retire, move and relax. You’ll be amazed how many things you get up to. You’ll wonder how you ever had time to work.
    Early here too. 2 more weeks until daylight saving, so the birds, and sun, are up very early. I love this time of year, with the garden in full bloom and so much promise of renewal. The grandchildren constantly remind me what a wonderful world this is. Make the most of it. P

Thanks, ladies. I will give serious thought to the idea of retirement. I just thought working would give me a bridge of activity while we get up to speed in a new community, especially as there will be no close family in town. But a bit of research has uncovered a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue, which seems to cover my symptoms. It’s not recognised by the mainstream medical authorities, but we know how much respect we have for them – did I mention that a colleague’s daughter is being taught in medical school that carbohydrates are essential for brain health?

I have made contact with the oldest grandson, and will get to catch up with him to say adieu on Friday πŸ™‚

Sorry things are so hard for you at the moment, Happy, just hope they can improve soon.

Sorry your trials continue, also, (not so) Happy. Life certainly gets in the way sometimes. Hang in there, girl. πŸ˜•P

One meal a day!

Yep, got it 🀭🀭
    I don’t think it is sustainable, psychologically. Life needs some joy. Better to eat high fibre, bulky, tasty food, so you feel full and satisfied. πŸ₯¦πŸ₯¬πŸŒΆπŸ₯’πŸ„πŸ†πŸ₯‘πŸπŸπŸ₯—πŸ³πŸ₯¬πŸ₯¦πŸ₯•πŸ“πŸ“ P

Gosh, seems many of us are in a slump at present 😟

Barata, great news on the house, bad news on the sleeping and weight.

You present a sound argument re work filling a gap for you when you first move. Do you work full or part-time because if it’s full time that will affect your ability to get out and get immersed in the community, if it’s part-time I’d say do both until youve got yourself established there. Retirement for me has been a double edged sword. I miss the company and structure and accountability work brings but love having the freedom to choose what I do with my time and when. What town will you be in?

I have a nutrition degree and I can assure you we are all taught CHO is the preferred fuel of the brain (which it is if you look at the ingredients of breast milk). Problem is we don’t eat unprocessed CHO and we eat too much of them. And if I’m right that person studying medicine will receive about 4 hours nutrition education. 🧐

Happy, sorry to hear your situation hasn’t improved yet. I empathize with the stress eating.
    My friend is doing OMAD and lost a lot of weight but I also wonder how she will maintain and what the long term effect will be for her, bearing in mind the five year anniversary seems to trip a lot of us up.

Purple, nothing like the little ones to keep us grounded is there! I envy you with your constant contact with yours, especially that new little bubby. πŸ’—

We are booking flights to fly to Brisbane to bring our grandies down for the Christmas pageant in November. The Adelaide Christmas pageant is something pretty special.

As we both approach our 70th year I think more and more about wether we should move up to Brisbane. I still have my dad here in Adelaide, he’s 97, and won’t be here that much longer I’m sure. We’ve lived in this house though for 40 years and have a great network of friends but I really miss family time.

We all have our trials and tribulations. One foot in front of the other, we’re all doing a great job! πŸ’

Dead right, Carol! 😊
    I will add, when I retired 10 years ago, I quickly built new social networks by getting involved in interest grouos, attending talks, doing courses. I quickly made friends with some terrific, likeminded people who have become my support network. Making friends through interests ensures far deeper relationships than simply work colleagues. The advantage of retirement is the freedom, the disadvantage is the lack of paypacket πŸ˜• P

Carol, I work three days a week now, would be happy with up to 20 hours. Perhaps I will offer to start with that, then ease off (and out) at the end of the year when the work reduces. Paypacket is the second motivator, P!

I thought the main ingredient in breast milk was fat?

20 hours sounds perfect as does your plan Barata!

Yes, more fat than CHO in breast milk but the CHO content is what the baby gets first, then the protein, the fat is in the hind milk.

Poor you, Barata. You seem in a bad cycle. But, as Purple said you’re selling your house and moving to a completely new area. No wonder you’re stressed. And, ironically, worrying about not sleeping stops one sleeping. Just over 10 st doesn’t seem so bad. I think I remember that you’re quite tall. Same for Happy. Every pound won’t show as it does on a shorty like me.

Regarding work, although you would be working remotely, would you still have to be out and about, making links within the new area? Maybe see how it goes for a year.

Happy, I’m so sorry to hear things are still bad for you. Sometimes work can be a distraction from personal woes. I think I’d stress eat, too, as I hate cooking, so it would be baked potatoes- just add another. What does OMAD stand for? Sorry for being thick.

Are you all enjoying the rugby? None of our times has had a big challenge yet, though. Wales v Australia will be our hurdle. England has a soft pool, with basically just France to challenge them.

I’m looking forward to Sunday’s match Polly. Early dinner at the pub, watching it with a crowd. Should be fun 😊😊 P

Polly – OMAD/ one meal a day 😊

OMAD, durrrr! Bit obvious, really. Senior moment.

Just heard that Uruguay beat Fiji! πŸ€”. We’ll be watching Sunday’s game at home. The club is showing it and doing breakfasts, but we will stay here.

It will be 6:45pm here. Excellent time 😊

Are you watching from the other side of the world, Poll? P😏

P,

I’m watching πŸ˜€

Well done, Wales. A good game, in the second half. 😏 Nice to share it with you, Poll. P

Viewing 50 posts - 11,101 through 11,150 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.