The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,001 through 11,050 (of 11,673 total)

• Oh, PVE, that’s exactly what I’m thinking! However, I’m determined to prove these naysayers wrong. Was it Happy who coined the phrase ‘hunger dragon’? I’m trying hard to resist it. OH keeps buying bloody treats though and he can’t believe that I don’t immediately wolf the chocolate.

It’s portion sizes again for us, though. I’m pleased to say he’s started daily weighing and seeing the benefits. We are going to a wedding at the end of July, so he needs to be able to wear a suit.

The funny thing is, Polly, I don’t get desperately hungry like I used too. I guess portion sizes is a problem, despite the food we eat being really very healthy. Mr P has gone up too, but only 2 kg, to my 3.5. He has, however maintained his drug free status re Type 2 Diabetes and is happy with his lowered cholesterol after giving up statins. Vigilance is all important and, as I watch friends suffer the effects of lifelong bad food choices, I am reminded why it is so important not to drop my bundle.
    Off to bed. Monday fast tomorrow 😄😄👍😉 P

It’s a dilemma! I think we’re a worthy study group for Dr M. to try and figure out what is happening.

Was just thinking the other day was it Thin or FFS and their OH who used to have feast Friday’s, which always included cake? We all agreed it was ok to have one feast day a week but two would show on the scales. No such luxury these days, every damm piece of food I put in my mouth is showing on the scales!

I’ve given up weighing on the weekends, too jolly depressing. I’ve now resumed fasting 2 days/week and although the second fast results in weight loss, there’s a slow, insidious creep happening.

The only area I think needs re-adjusting is portion control – I think I’ve become relaxed in that area.

10kg in 10 years – well the only good news about that is I’ll be just about 80 and maybe it won’t worry me then ! 😂. The little voice in my head says everyone is back to where they started within 5 years, and that I find very scary!

Ah, we know that fasting-me has lasted longer than that five years, Carol! (Says she eating a pateis de nata as a reward for stripping and cleaning kitchen and dining room prior to decorating tomorrow. ) 😌

It was me, Carol – the one who’s been awol for so long you probably thought I was dead. We still do it – and as long as we stick to it, it works: 1 proper FD, 1 semi FD, 1 feast day and 4 sensibly mindful days = stable day weight, within wriggle room. But the moment we get complacent, or the ‘2 squares of dark choc each evening’ creeps to ‘3 and a bit of Easter egg’ or pudding/cake not on feast day, the creep begins. I think we just got used to being slim, and became less watchful. I’m within wriggle room, but at top end, OH has gained a few lbs and is well above his. Eternal vigilance needs to be revisited, I suspect.

Good to see us all picking up communication again. Love and encouragement to all!

Oops,sorry, FastFastSlow.
    Pol. 😄

That’s ok, Pol. I definitely don’t eat pastels de Natalie – don’t do dairy. And f-m is doing so well, and her meals are so aspirational, that I sometimes think she’s a figment of my food-obsessed imagination. Come in, f-me, and tell us it’s not so!

I don’t know about Natalie’s pastels – I don’t eat pasteis de nata, either! Blooming iOS!

FFS, (g’day!), as usual is quite correct, but eternal vigilance is so jolly boring!! I KNOW slacking off too often is my issue. I’m in agreement with Carol. By 80, I’ll need the extra to withstand other people’s care. 3.5kg over after 6 years is still beating the odds…and I’m a non gambler!!! 😄😄
    Have a happy Monday fast girls. P

…and P, as usual, speaks the Truth, with knobs on! Come on, those of us on here have mostly done 6 years already – and most of us have lost a lot more than 10kg, so even at that rate we’d still be winning. Perhaps we should start thinking of it as valuable padding for the bones when we start to fall over?
    Bank Hol here tomorrow, and out for lunch with friends, to a pub which does the best treacle tart I have ever eaten, anywhere. FD definitely postponed until Tuesday. ‘Night, all.

I’m staying in bed until the sun warms up a bit more. We are enjoying gorgeous days, but winter winds are creeping in.
    I’m not thinking about that treacle tart 🤨🤨🙄

…with really good vanilla ice cream….Sweet dreams x

No dreams here Fast. It’s daytime fasting! Stop building that picture!!!!!

It seems we are all in the same boat. It’s Monday FD here, but I was obliged to have a little carrot cake at morning tea at work – I had brought it for my birthday, after all! And when there was one small piece left in the kitchen at lunchtime… However, I know my Monday soup is well below 500 kcals, so no beating up need take place 🙂

We will be facing winter by the end of the week. It’s been a remarkably dry and warm autumn in our corner of the planet.

Happy birthday, Baraja. A way of eating which denied you your own birthday cake would be inhuman!

Morning fasting friends, enforced fast here today. Action Anthony is decorating the kitchen and dining room, so no access. I’ll be in my 80s in ten years time, too. However, I want to be as active as my neighbour, my role model, who has only just stopped her worldwide gallivanting.

Woken to disastrous political results with Farage’s Brexit party soaring! The only saving grace is that the remain parties, Libdem, Green and Plaid Cymru together did better. This augurs well if there is a second referendum. I’m worried about where my country is going. 🙁

Do you think we’re comfort eating, Pol? That’s a serious question – i can’t remember ever being this depressed/anxious about the state of politics, worldwide or UK, and I just wonder.

Welcome back FFS, and inspiring to read you are still holding the ‘creep’ at bay!

Yes, I agree we have all done well, but I DO NOT want to have to buy new clothes! Still, a dress size is 5kg so hopefully I won’t get to that point – fingers crossed! 😊

Enough talk of yummy food on our down under fast day! I’m having a lavender and chamomile tea, trying to keep the hunger genie at bay – it’s freezing cold here today.

Looking forward to the FD meal – couple of eggs and a ratatouille of leek, capsicum, broccoli and mushrooms. Amazing how delicious that meal is going to taste! 😊 happy fasting Purple. 😊

We had a little sleat here at lunchtime…there’s snow in them thar hills! The temp plummeted, but I rugged up in skiing clothes, made a cup of miso, played piano, now painting. Anything to avoid the kitchen! Our homemade soup tonight will be perfect.
    Winter is here a few days early, but I’ve managed a fast. Makes you proud!
    We can do it Barata. 😉😉

Interesting breakfast conversation here, provoked by Guardian article about 2 women who’ve written a well-researched book/website on healthy ageing. The 25 headline tips included fasting, Mediterranean diet, coffee, exercise, meditation – you get the picture…we smugly decided the only one which didn’t apply to us was living with a dog. That moved the talk to limitations – eg to the exercise DH can manage, which is not a lot. Ended up considering that perhaps each having some unavoidable health issues (don’t we all?!) actually makes us more determined to avoid adding avoidable ones to the mix, and making life more difficult as age gallops on. So yes, Carol and P, you’re both right: after 6 years this sometimes feels dead boring, and I certainly don’t want to live for ever anyway – but since I certainly want to be fit enough (physically and intellectually) to enjoy what’s ahead, it is still worth the effort. So shall kick myself up the proverbial (after the treacle tart, you understand!) and reassess what I’m really doing, as opposed to what I kid myself I’m doing. B***er the dress size – this is about will I still be able to walk/talk/lift/dance/read – (add your own essentials)!

Drink wine, solve crosswords, play the violin and do back flips…actually, I can’t do the last 2 now, so I guess that won’t work 😉😉
    Gee whizz, that hot soup was superb. Doesn’t food taste grand after 24 hours without it!! P

Yummy homemade bacon hock soup in the B household, too, P. The bone was simmering all day yesterday, the liquid set in the fridge overnight.

Thanks, FFS, that’s what I thought, too. May not have been the excuse for the couple of squares of dark chocolate that followed the soup. 🙂

Keep the mind and body active, continue the IFs, and avoid the unnecessary carbs. Should be do-able.

Hi, everyone, returning after our Scandanavian tour to a very quiet forum. Hope that means everyone is ticking over nicely.

The vegetarian options for me were very limited, so I confess to too many ice cream treats. Now on top wriggle room, having lost 2lbs. The very good news is that OH. Has finally seen the benefit of daily weighing and, having eaten sensibly on the trip, gained nothing. He has gone just under the 16st, so prospects of losing the stone he regained are good.

In spite of all three countries bring do expensive, it was a fabulous trip. Norway, in particular, was stunning. The sculptures in Vineland Park, Oslo, were another highlight. What a pity about the enormous cruise ship blocking the view and domination the harbour.

Hi Poll
    Your trip sounds fabulous. It IS horrible what happens with these enormous cruise ships blocking up harbours and disgorging thousands of tourists, who overwhelm small places for a day, then leave. And I haven’t mentioned the pollution from funnels, constant use of generators in port and pumping raw sewage and other rubbush, into the oceans. It is a frightening future!
    We’ve had a medical emergency with Mr P this week. He is home after major surgery and reduced to eating rubbush, low fibre foods. At least he is all clear and enjoying my necessarily, bland, home cooked food.
    Well done with your OH. Sounds as if he will take control. P

Oh, dear, purple, your poor husband! Thank goodness the surgery went well. On ward and upward.

He was told he is recovering very quickly as he is a healthy person. He was pleased to hear that. I won’t fast again until I’m in the mood. 🙄🙄

No. You’ve got enough to think about. Take care.

We have just slipped past the longest night (Winter Solstice). We move inexorably towards summer now!!! 3 deg here now.
    I’ve been checking out the visuals on stonehengeskyscape.co.uk…a new site to watch the sun rise and set at Stonehenge. It is amazing. At present, being midsummer, the sky retains some light all night.
    Great game!! 😊😊👍

Just caught up, P – best wishes to you and Mr P, for a swift and full recovery. Be kind to yourself – it must have been a huge shock, which will take a while to subside despite the relief of the good outcome. So glad all is / will be well.

Sadly, as you turn toward summer, our nights start to draw in again tomorrow, before summer has arrived. I’ve spent the last week in my winter leggings and jumpers by day, and with a hot water bottle at night! Better today, and promised tomorrow, but thunderstorms on their way, apparently. And as for news and politics….it takes real determination and courage not succumb to despair, ……,

Sorry to sound so despondent! At least weight is behaving ok at the moment: a couple of weeks of eating more, aiming to kickstart metabolism, followed by lighter ‘summer’ (!) eating has helped, and I’m back well within wriggle room. Have a good weekend, everyone.

Hi all, Purple, so sorry to hear of mr p’s health problem, hope he’s 100% again soon!

Polly, your trip sounds wonderful. I’m surprised about the vegetarian options. Don’t know why but in my head I expected there would be a lot of vegetarian choices or at least a lot more fish. I’m surprised you could afford the ice cream lol. That’s something I recall from a trip to Denmark many many years ago – the cost of ice cream in a cone we bought the kids 😊

FFS, I’m impressed you’re losing and within wriggle room.

I’ve just returned home from 2 weeks in Brisbane with the family and all I can say is I fell completely off the rails up there to the point when first time ever I Missed a fast day. It was so bad that when I got home I wouldn’t even get on the scale until I’d done a FD and a 16:8 day. I then found I was 300g above first trigger point which was sort of OK. The weird things is even when I was ‘indulging’ myself I wasn’t enjoying it. I couldn’t wait to get home and back to my ‘clean’ eating. And it does fell like clean because I feel glugged up when eating the other stuff. Ive resigned myself to this extra kilo now and readjusted my thinking/attitude to focus more on health and less on size.

Nice to hear from everyone again!

I wrote a long reply, and was blocked from this site! Humph!!

Grrr! I have just had a shock on the scales this morning – up 1 +3/4 lbs in spite of good eating yesterday. No idea why!

Carol, i caused a huge delay at one of the included meals in Denmark as I was served salmon mousse for a starter, like the others and they were astonished to hear that fish is flesh. There was a long hiatus before the main course, then the others had chicken while I had beautifully arranged asparagus with scorched spring onions.

U3A summer social today, so there will be temptation!

😂😂 When my son worked in Hong Kong, he grew to expect pork in his vegetarian dishes…apparently pigs aren’t flesh either! It’s trying to remember the minutia of veganism that catches me out…3 drops of Thai fish sauce caused signicant issues for my youngest, vegan, son. Thank goodness they are all omnivores now. 👍

Oh, dear, I’ve had a terrible week! Have not been able stop the ice cream indulgence, so it has to end! A pound over my top wriggle room. OH is doing better than me for once.

It’s funny how a bad habit can establish itself, so out with ice cream and back to satsumas. But less wine, too. Oops, Ive also had two beers for thirst.

Any ideas for non-alcoholic drinks which are not sweet?

Edit to add: the U3A summer social was awful! We felt young and there were patronising games. Not tempting food, though.

Hi Polly
    My ‘go to’, non sweet drink is soda water, with a slice of lime/lemon. Serve in a nice glass, and you have a party! Another is iced black coffee…instant coffee dissolved in a tiny bit of boiling water, vanilla essence and ice and iced water. It’s terrific.
    I’m having fun cooking 6 eating sessions a day for poor Mr P. It confirms our understanding of the role of white carbs. Post op, he has to have white flour based foods, and low fibre fruit and veg, to slow the system down. It’s amazing how creative I can be! P

Hmm, I’ll try the iced coffee, P. I’m fed up of lime and soda – anything and soda, really. We’ve had a good day today. So busy that no thoughts of food entered our heads. Eventually had a salad with a boiled egg. An apple about 3pm, a nectarine at 7 ish. Apart from the egg, free foods according to the new book.

Wow, you’re having a real test with six cooking sessions and with white flour! Hope your husband continues to make progress.

The rest of the crew are very quiet at the moment.

Pol.

Hi Pol,

I’m still here, just haven’t really got much to contribute at the moment.

I’m still maintaining at 61-62 lbs, which is fine, but I’d feel better if it 60kg!

The problem is the non-fast day eating. I’m not, and haven’t been since xmas, in a particularly happy place. And that’s having a knock on effect. I wouldn’t previously have described it as comfort eating (since it doesn’t involve what I traditionally think of as comfort foods), but I think I’m subconsciously trying to self sooth with too much food…

Hopefully once I’m happier again, the eating situation will resolve!

thinking of you, and hoping for a return to a happier Happy. ‘This too shall pass’ x

Oh, Happy, that’s not good. What is your weight really – surely not 62lbs? 4st odd? Hope things are better for you soon. The comfort eating and reward eating is so easy to fall into.

After a return to disciplined eating and quaffing copious amounts of water I’ve not felt hungry and am back to 127lbs.

Take care all,
    Pol

Thanks Pol. We are making pretty good progress, even if I now have to prepare 42 “meals” a week, compared to 10 previously! I’m getting very creative with the limited ingredients allowed, but he seems to be blossoming under this care.
    Comfort eating isn’t always a bad thing, Happy. I’m partaking of a fair bit myself, at present, along with no fasting at all. Life still has to be lived, doesn’t it, and food is one of the few things we can control. Sending you happy thoughts…😺😺 P

Ha ha, Polly, no, not 62 lbs! 62 kg….

And thanks for the kind thoughts all. As you say Fast, this too will pass. I’m thinking perhaps if I offered to help him pack his bags that it might pass quicker…. 🤣

P,

I’m pleased to see your nursing is paying dividends!

I’m here too, lurking in the background, too depressed to post! 😂

Happy, sorry to hear you’re feeling miserable, we’ve all been there and absolutely nothing wrong with some soothing eating, we need to look after our mental health as well as the physical.

Pleased Mr P is recovering well Purple and you’re managing to keep yourself sane also. 😊

As Fast says, it all passes (eventually).

So what’s depressing me is this ridiculous weight change. I’m now regularly 60-61, instead of 58-59. I lose well after Monday’s FD, lose a bit more Wednesday and then Thursday have put on 500g. I’m now doing 16:8 Thursday and this week I’ll fast Friday as well. I can cope with the current weight gain but am terrified it’s the start of a slippery slope!

On another note, a friend inspired by my 5:2 and introduced to Jason Fung has been doing OMAD (one meal a day) for several months and has lost over 20 kgs! She’s incredibly disciplined about it. She says she’s an all or nothing person so for her this is the best way (having tried 5:2 and it didn’t work that well).
    I admire her but am waiting to see what happens once she stops losing and has to start maintaining.

At the end of the day we all do what we have to do to maintain our peace of mind and to try and create some joy in our life (and I’m not just referring to eating in that statement ).

Take care everyone! 😘

That bad, hey? We’ve always joked ‘divorce, never – murder, maybe’ – but perhaps that’s too close to home. We all have purple patches – but only you know whether the exact shade and duration is bearable, or whether it’s time to exit. Love (and prayers, if you’re not offended by them) while you work out what’s right for you – which is what matters. X

Oh, dear, Carol. Perhaps you go try a different pattern or are you rewarding yourself for jobs, as OH does and I started? We still do 16:8. However, on our recent Scandanavia trip we had breakfast included and obviously took them, as the places are expensive. Rarely bothered with even sharing anything at lunch, then ate in the evening.

This was a wonderful trip, with the most stunning sceneries Norway. It was so refreshing not to have anyone hovering for a tip.

Carol,

I’m exactly the same, the extra 2kg would be OK, so long as I knew I could lose it if I wanted to! On that note, tomorrow has to be another fast day (if only to stop me overeating,,,).

Fast,

Yes, I’m afraid it is that bad! It’s been a long time coming and it’s going to take time to untangle, but I’m feeling positive about a future without him. Just me and the cat 😊 It’s been a rough few months though, and I’m feeling pretty worn down by it all at the moment.

Really sorry, Happy – but also glad you’re feeling positive. Working to revive an ailing relationship is great, but sometimes it can go on for too long , when it’s actually reached the point where we need to acknowledge its death, grieve and make a new start. Anyone who’s achieved as much as you have in the last few years has got all the necessary courage for whatever you face. I wish you happiness, and good things.

Excellent words, Fast. We are all here for you, Happy. Xx

Hi, Purple – welcome to a new day! How is Mr P (and how is his nurse and chef) today?

Making progress,thanks Fast. “We” are managing his menu pretty well, but would like guidance for the longterm. Off to see the doc. P

All best – hope it goes well

Viewing 50 posts - 11,001 through 11,050 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.