The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,951 through 11,000 (of 11,673 total)

• Thanks girls. I’m a lot better now. The weather, sunny, mid 20s, has really helped. I have been doing masses of weeding in the garden and planting winter veg. We have taken long local walks every day as well. Autumn (and spring) here are the best time to get busy outside. Summer is more conducive to swimming ๐Ÿ˜
    Your wine tasting sounds a lot of fun, FM. A well deserved rest now! P

BRata, really sorry to hear youโ€™re still not sleeping. Maybe itโ€™s time for a separate bedroom on occasions? Iโ€™ve had to resort to that and must say getting a good nights sleep works wonders.

Glad youโ€™re on the mend Purple! Alien bugs!

Have a lovely birthday Polly and Happy. Itโ€™s mine early May. I love short hair Polly, especially on manure women – looks so trendy! Iโ€™m currently grappling with the grey/keep coloring dilemma ๐Ÿค”

Fastingme, preparing the food for the wine tasting sounds like seriously hard work! I take my hat off to you.

Were having very pleasant autumnal weather – cool in the morning and evenings but warm during the day. Weโ€™ve had a tiny bit of rain but not enough, Iโ€™m still watering the garden.

Thanks for your thoughts, girls. I still have a few options – I will continue with the focussing recommendation of the therapist, there is cognitive behavioural therapy, and I am reading a book that might be of assistance. I am coming to the realisation that, as waking and remaining awake is a learned habit, I will have to find ways to re-train the brain.

And although I do consider separate rooms, Carol, why should I be the one to leave the comfortable warm bed??

Happy birthday, Happy. Hope work is not taking precedence over celebrations on the day!

Penblwydd hapus, Happy! ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ๐Ÿฅ‚. I was a bit nervous as I stepped on to the scales this morning, as we’ve eaten out twice and I’ve somewhat indulged myself, with further transition problems. I was relieved to find a decent result, under top wriggle room.

Barata, I agree with Carol about separate bedrooms, for a while at least. We did that when in my early years with tinnitus. If his snoring woke me, I was done for. However, the TRT ( tinnitus retraining therapy) did work and he’s back in bed, as I generally manage it.

Fasting, we pretty disappointed with our meal yesterday. Falafel starter was bland, the roast potaywere crisps and the other complained that their meals were cold.

Oh dear, disastrous week! Ate out three times, sensible choices, though. The theory for Thursday was just one meal, half a very thing veg pizza with salad, ready for wine group. I obviously ate too much of the crackers and cheese. Yesterday, I had two hot cross buns -;from tradition – then an Aldi copy of a Solero, for testing purposes, you understand! ๐Ÿ˜Œ. Over top wriggle!

There’s a real danger of complacency creeping in. It’s my three year anniversary this week. Need a good talk to myself.

Polly,

I’m 2kg over my top weight still! It is entirely complacency (or is that gluttony?!) on non-fast days…

Given that I’d been maintaining at 3-4kg below my original target weight, I had been wondering what the difference was between 9.5 and 10 stone. It’s mainly flab round my hips, belly and thighs and I don’t like it!!

I’m hoping that the long days, good weather and increased activity will help keep me away from the kitchen….

My 6 year anniversary this week, Poll, and, like the rest of you, complacency has definitely crept in. I am guilty of not enoigh proper fasts. I start well, then it gets undermined by life, illness, visitors, family parties, you name it! I don’t see how I was so strict for so long. I agree, Happy, the flab is on my waist, hips and upper back/bra line. ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ™„ P

I’m well over my wriggle room, 5kgs now above my lowest. ๐Ÿ™ And I don’t believe it has anything to do with bad FDs, or more excessive NFDs. I’m eating better than I ever have, so can only put it down to metabolic changes. The extra is well spread, making my jeans tight. Why do all the pants in the shops have skinny legs? So frustrating.

And I have lost my spreadsheet, where I record my and OH’s weights. Oh, well…

Interestingly, I am sleeping better, getting back to sleep each time I wake up (mostly with someone snoring). Not separate rooms yet – which one of us is to leave the comfort of the marital bed?

Whew! My in-house technical whizz aka OH has restored my spreadsheet. Didn’t make the readings any better, though ๐Ÿ™

You mention tinnitus retraining therapy, Polly. I’ve not heard of this. Where did you get it, and how successful was it?

I wish we had an answer to the weight creep. Dr M, where are you? P

I am so pleased to announce that a fairly strict FD yesterday has put me back on track. I also did a good bit of housework, lugging the conservatory furniture around to clean there, as well as the Saturday kitchen routine. Instead of a bowl of the heavenly salted caramel ice cream, I had one like a lolly – a stricter number of calories.

Happy, am I right in thinking you’re quite tall? 10st is fine on 5’7″. I have an idea that you’re tall, too, Barata. Great news about your sleeping. PVE, the same to you, I always think Australians are tall and fit. All that surfing! ๐Ÿ˜„. In general, how do you all maintain? I usually do okay on 16:8 every day.

I did eventually have tinnitus retraining therapy on the National Health. I wouldn’t quite go so far as to say she saved my life, but she was wonderful. She gave me lots of strategies to cope, as well as various pieces of equipment to mask it. And just talking was so important. Basically, one has to learn to live with tinnitus and I have.

The sad thing is that when Angela retired she was not replaced. There are private clinics offering to cure tinnitus, but there is not one.

We’re off to Manchester today as my niece is entertaining the family for the first time. More temptation!

Wrong image, Poll. I’m 164cm and have never surfed on a board, only body surfing! I see myself as short and dumpy ๐Ÿ˜‘
    We fasted today, then totally destroyed it with crisps (We call them chips) and 2..yes two..glasses of pinot noir when we discovered a wonderful jam session of folk musicians.
    We could hardly participate without buying something!! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
    Life DOES need to be enjoyed. P

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ. You still have an inch and a half on me, PVE! Luckily, I don’t like crisps or biscuits, but ice cream is hard to resist. I don’t even attempt to resist wine! ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚.

I never drink without eating and crisps were all they had! Now forced to find somewhere for dinner in this country town. P

I never drink without eating and crisps were all they had! Now forced to find somewhere for dinner in this country town. P

I know Barata, giving up the marital bed is hard but if needs must…..(as they did in my case). Fortunately my husband is pretty good and heโ€™ll sleep in the spare room too.

It seems weโ€™re all in that same stage of complacency/ metabolic/hormonal changes. Iโ€™m above first trigger point but as Purple has already said, I do still want to enjoy life. BTW Purple , you need to revise your view of yourself as there is no absolutely way you are short and dumpy!

Thanks Carol. Wouldn’t mind being tall and elegant like you and Happy! P

Greetings, Friends. Happy Easter and happy Passover.
    Cloudy and mild here, a bout of rain 30 minutes ago — and now a watered-down sun is trying to break through. The Scilla are in bloom around the apple tree and the early daffs are showing buds.

Sorry that many of you are bursting the odd seam. ๐Ÿ™ But some of you are getting back in control. ๐Ÿ™‚ For some reason, ODH & I are staying below our Targets. We just had our 10 Anniversary of Fasting, too, PVE, earlier in April. Only reason I can give for not gaining these days is that I’m fighting another cold. [that’s 2 in 3 months] So I don’t feel like eating and what I do eat gets metabolized pronto. Don’t know why ODH is lighter, but it is good. Now we can eat Easter Candy with impunity!! We will fly to France on Thursday, for a week each in Brittany and Normandy. I have been there, but ODH has not. SEA FOOD! CIDRE!! Yum.

Today’s dinner will be Ham + Asparagus in bรฉchamel sauce over an opened popover. Delicious. Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert, and a fine Zinfandel to go with the dinner.

10 years fastingme, thatโ€™s wonderful! Enjoy France, we havenโ€™t been there for a few years now but always loved the food and the scenery out in the country.

Have a wonderful time in France FM.
    10 years fasting? You were well ahead of the trend! Dr M only started it in late 2012, I believe. How often did you fast in the early days? What got you started? P

I’m also very impressed with ten years fasting, fasting-me! Your maintenance is very impressive, too. Have a wonderful time in Brittany and Normandy. Brittany has the remnants of a language much like Welsh, I’ve seen houses called ‘Ty ………..’. and come across the use of ‘bara’ for bread.

My strictish fast on Saturday paid benefits, immediately undone by the meal at my niece’s house and champagne truffles yesterday. Strict fast essential today.

NO –not 10 years Fasting…. 6 year anniversary as of the 10th of April. How did that come out so garbled??? We were early adapters, but not prescient. SIX years, just like PVE. End of self-agrandisement.

After eating lots of Easter candy, both of us gained 1.2 pounds. Today is a Fast Day: breakfast of ham, pineapple chunks, and a hard-boiled egg. Very easy to do after Easter! Dinner will be Fish Roasted with Vegetables. That will use up some of the fresh veg in the drawer before we depart.

Yes, Polly, I do see a connection between Wales and Brittany [and Cornwall] — language and culture. Standing Stones are common in Brittany, too. In honor of the “Outlander” books, we will visit Carnac, site of a large alignment of stones, on Beltane [May 1]. May 1-4 is also Floralie and I will be curious to see if the Roman Festival of Flowers penetrated as far north as Brittany.

Have a good week.

Yes, indeed. The Celts were in Britanny too. It reverted from English control to French when King John “lost” it.
    Enormous ties amongst the Celtic people that English rule could/can never extinguish. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    We enjoyed a wonderful day of folk music yesterday (including a Japanese group that perform Scottish music!) in our National capital. Autumn has hit and the beautiful deciduous trees that, Canberra is famous for, are showing off their wonderful vibrant colours. Random eating of festival food was possibly not a good choice, but we shared, so quantity was ok…raclette for lunch, paella and wine for dinner … All part of the festival vibe as we moved between stages to catch the best acts ๐Ÿ˜‰ . And we managed to avoid chocolate all weekend! P

Fridge is cleared out, food that attracts vermin is safely stored. Today’s Fast breakfast was an omelette we call Green Eggs & Ham: fresh chives and minced ham, along with the last of the Easter pineapple.
    We’ll have a Fast Day Lunch in the car and bus down to the airport: fig [keeps the trains running], cheese [for the calcium], and a clementine [just to get rid of them]. Dinner on the plane won’t be until about 7 pm, which is late for us, so the lunch will tide us over. Since it is Air France, we will indeed eat the meals on the plane!

Celts in Brittany, Norsemen in Normandy — everybody but the French!!
    Your Autumn in Canberra sounds lovely, PVE, as does your grazing at the music fest. You sure know how to have a great time, in a simple way.

There is something wrong with me or with my bathroom scales: weight is VERY low and doesn’t change much, no matter how much chocolate I eat. ODH, goes up and down, my weight hardly varies. Strange.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

What a terrible problem FM! ๐Ÿ™„ Travel well. ๐Ÿ˜ŠP

Well! Down a kg in two days ๐Ÿ™‚ I will keep working on this. My new trick – optimising nutrition. Guidance to be found on the Nutrient Optimiser FB page. It means recording everything I eat (and drink!), which is a bit of a bind but very interesting to see the results. The associated website not only tracks kcals, but macros and micros, and the goal is to get as close to optimal nutrition within the calorie limit as possible.

Hey, what’s up? Another beautiful Wellington autumn day, with this to continue for the rest of the week. And we are off to book our first cruise – out of Auckland, up to Vanuatu and associated islands – for next month.

I was disturbed at 1 this morning. In the end I bit the bullet and retired to the spare room, but still didn’t get to sleep until almost 6. Thank goodness I don’t work on Wednesdays, could sleep in. But I can see me working the extra day for the rest of this month, as I don’t have enough holiday allowance due to cover said cruise. I might start out in the spare room tonight, benefit both of us!

Happy May Day, all. Our older son gets into double figures tomorrow – he turns 44!

Barata, Iโ€™m looking up that site NOW! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Your cruise sounds lovely, enjoy.

We are having beautiful autumnal weather here in Adelaide too, itโ€™s been perfect. Fortunately we got some rain last night, itโ€™s been dry for far too long!

Re the sleeping: I retired to the spare room at the beginning of the night quite often because I found that less stressful than starting off in our room, laying awake for hours and then moving rooms anyway. I got to a stage where I was going to bed expecting the not sleeping to happen and found I wasnโ€™t as anxious when I just went to the spare room from the start.

Carol, it’s usually not the getting to sleep, it’s the waking / being woken, and then not being able to get back to sleep. Over the last few weeks this has been a much reduced problem, and I know that it is pressure at work that is feeding into my wakefulness. The worst of that will be over next week.

Another hit on the credit card. OH bought a new tv last week in the Easter sales as the current one was showing signs of failing. When we looked back at the records we found it had lasted us 11 years, so can’t complain.

Well sounds like thereโ€™s light at the end if the tunnel then. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    We had to get a new washing machine recently and checking my records I discovered it was 16 years old!! Miele for anyone whoโ€™s interested.

I joined the nutrition optimiser FB group but donโ€™t see where the diary part is Barata ??

Good news, Barata, although we didn’t enjoy the one cruise we did. The food was wonderful, and very tempting especially evening snacks. We didn’t see enough of the places we visited for us. We’re in Cornwall with U3A on a short break. The Eden Project yesterday, St Ives today and Lost Gardens of Heligan tomorrow. Great hotel – again, with tempting three course meals included. Oh dear.

Oh Polly. I LOVE Cornwall. The lost gardens and Eden Project are great.
    We are spending the night in an adorable, tiny, very old (in Aus terms) house up in the ranges. Autumn has definitely struck, with a bit of a chill as we sit on the verandah, overlooking the dry, dry stream bed, sipping a Hunter red. We’ll light the fire soon. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I was awake almost all night last night. No idea why. So I’m pleased to have arrived at our accommodation to relax.
    I wonder if we are just not meant to sleep at our age, B? My eldest turned 44 a month ago. Unbelievable, isn’t it?
    My weight dropped a bit with a really good fast this week, but a bit to go yet. Maybe after the stress of the Federal election! P

Carol, go to http://www.nutrientoptimiser.com to set yourself up. You also need to sign up to Cronometer to enter your dietary consumption. This will link with NO, seemed to be automatic for me. I struggled a bit with setting it up, but folks on FB are very helpful. I am continuing with 5:2 as well.

Polly, our cruise has four island stops, as well as several days getting there and back (NZ is a long way from anywhere ๐Ÿ™‚ ). I hope we will have time for some swimming and sightseeing, but lots of time on board will help us get familiar with the environment. And to enjoy all the onboard entertainment. It’s the food that is a concern.

I definitely need to sleep, P. I shouldn’t have any problems tonight after my disturbed night last night, but will opt for the spare room anyway. I look at your election, and don’t envy you your choices ๐Ÿ™

Polly,

I’m very jealous of your trip to Cornwall. I’ve been wanting to visit Eden and Heligan for many years now. It’s such a long way though and there always seems to be other calls on my time.

I’m a relatively light sleeper. OH snores, thrashes around (he can turn the duvet 90 or even 180 degrees in the night), twitches, etc. Made worse by smoking and drinking, both of which were apparently more important than me! After 20 years as a zombie, I finally prioritized my sleep (and my long term health) and we now sleep separately. It doesn’t please OH, but not to the extent that he will drink less or otherwise do anything proactive about his sleep disorder. Me? I sleep well and wake refreshed, what’s not to like! And it’s him in the spare room ๐Ÿ˜

I’m back in the 61s at the moment. Glad to not be seeing 63s! You’re right, Pol, being a bit taller I can carry it, but I just don’t like the muffin top and hip and thigh bulges that form at that weight.

Hi, everyone, back from Cornwall and carrying the evidence! Not too bad though, I had scrambled egg breakfast, but could resist the hash browns. Avoided lunch, but had to try a real pasty – cheese and onion in my case. Gained 3 and 1/2lbs, but hope to remove that quickly.

I’m also bruised, including a black eye! Too busy talking and I fell on the hotel steps, with half the coach behind me as an audience. Very lucky not to break any of, or all of, hip, arm, glasses and skull as I really clouded my head. Pride hurt most, though. ๐Ÿ˜.

Both the gardens were amazing! What vision that Tim Smit had to create Eden from a derelict mine and hole in the ground.

Hello! Where is everyone and how is everyone? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Iโ€™ve hit a record high of 60.5 this morning (FD), after weeks of struggling to stay in my maintenance range.
    The high hasnโ€™t been helped by the fact it was my birthday earlier in the month and the festivities have been stretched out over the whole month. I have the last dinner happening next week!

Iโ€™ve decided I need to go back to 2 fasts per week and see if I can start to lose some of this excess.

Hi ho, off I go again! ๐Ÿค”

Birthday celebrations can do that, Carol. I’m sure it was good though ๐Ÿ˜‰
    P

We share a birthday month, Carol. It sounds like you having a great one – happy birthday! Is it a special milestone?

I have been keeping my head down, as I have had no success with loosing that extra padding, even following the Optimal Nutrition guidelines ๐Ÿ™ And I am already on two FDs a week! So birthday dinner this weekend, followed by ten days cruising the Pacific. It’s going to be a challenge not to come home with extra baggage ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy birthday May girls! Don’t stress too much about the weight. After the political weekend we’ve had, I realise there are far greater things to worry about ๐Ÿคจ
    Cheers P

Sco-Mo’s ‘miracle’! So another three years. And I gather he has no policies. ๐Ÿ™

B, he believes coal is the future and God will prevail. Give us strength. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Good morning, especially to the birthday girls. Looks like we are all in the same boat, except that Barata will be off in a posh one. I’m doing Okish , still below top wriggle and two pounds above bottom. I will be really strict fasting during the day then give in to temptation for ice cream in the evening. Transition is not good either.

Thankfully, OH has turned over a new leaf. He’s started weighing daily and is beginning to lose again. He’s not so strict with the weighing before cooking as he was though and thinks he knows Mimi’s recipes himself, as well as inventing his own.

Interesting result from the Australian elections, PVE. Mind you, the political chaos here is unbelievable. The Chinese curse, ‘May you live in interesting times’ was never so true. The rise of the right is very worrying. Where can I live if Boris Johnson is elected!

Not in Australia..we’ve just had our Brexit/Trump moment. ๐Ÿคจ

Happy birthday to you too Barata! Your cruise sounds wonderful. I love all that food on a cruise, especially if itโ€™s a different cuisine to the usual. Good luck with maintaining!

Thanks, Carol. We are getting excited about that cruise now – or as excited as OH ever gets about anything, a very equitable bloke, him ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks like you will be getting Boris, Polly. Plenty of room here in NZ if you need it.

The sun is shining, I’m full of energy after two nights’ good sleep (getting back to sleep!) in the spare room, and plotting to take OH for a beach walk for some vit.D.

The Nutrient Density week didn’t help with weight loss, but was certainly interesting to track the micro-nutrients in different foods. There was spinach, mushrooms and liver with the bacon and eggs in my (10am) breakfast this morning ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy your weekend, all.

Oh, girls, I’m cross with my weight at the moment. I’m stuck on top wriggle room whatever I do, it seems. Although, I’m lying as we’re not weighing ingredients so things creep up.

Oh yeah gods, if Boris does become PM the country will be down the pan in no time, it’s poised on the edge, already. The man is a proven liar both as a journalist and a politician. Thanks for the welcome to NZ. I’m sure we’d love it there – similar weather to Wales and, importantly, rugby!

Very good news about your sleeping, Barata. Hope it lasts.

We’re off to Ellesmere Port for a former colleague of OH to do a repair on my car bodywork – a clown hit it in Tesco carpark last week. We will have to drive back with all the holiday makers heading to the coast! Enjoy the bank holiday everyone.

Lucky you, Polly! Only at the top of your wriggle room? I’m several kg over and, with the reelection of our reactionary PM and his right wing mates, I can’t see me being happy enough for the next 3 years to seriously consider losing weight.
    Hmm..NZ is sounding tempting. Beware though, Barata, we thought we had dodged the shift to the right too. ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ P

Eighteen months until our next election, P. Here’s hoping Jacinda can do enough to stick around – perhaps a marriage next year to the first fellow will help ๐Ÿ™‚

Wriggle room – what’s that? Somewhere in the nether regions below…

I think you and I have wriggled out of it B ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ

Definitely. Pity wriggling is not weight-reducing! What are you doing differently, P? I swear I am not doing anything other than what worked so well with 5:2, so I think the metabolism has adjusted to a new normal. Post cruise action needed!

I’m a little slacker with carb intake, but serioisly eat massively less than I did in the past. Still fast twice weekly, skip breakfast most days and rarely eat snacks. The worry is the little voice that keeps saying, “statistically, people regain 10kg in 10 years”, that keeps popping into my head. I really don’t know, B.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,951 through 11,000 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.