The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,801 through 8,850 (of 11,673 total)

• Oh, I love that story, Carol! And very much agree that we couldn’t have afforded take-aways, anyway. Maybe fish and chips occasionally!

OH enjoyed his birthday white bait, not whiting, yesterday. My meal was dreadful. A reasonable starter, then vegetable lasagna with fewer vegetables than a cheap ready meal from Tesco. We won’t be going there again. It’s a real fur coat, no knickers sort of place, with its library and drawing room, complete with chandeliers!

Well, I’d better stop sobbing in my dressing gown and get the place ready for book group.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

We were the same Polly – an exciting time if we bought fish and chips for tea!

Polly, sorry, can you please explain a ‘no knickers’ place?😊

Carol, I mean a place with pretensions and not the basics. Btw: I was slobbing not sobbing in my dressing gown. 😁

Carol, the phrase originated as a description of a woman who looked a million dollars on top, but was either poverty-stricken or what used to be called a ‘slag’ (NOT a phrase I’d use, nb!!) underneath – ie all the effort / expenditure gone into outward appearance. Lovely to hear it used as Pol did – about a place, rather than a person! (there was also a version applied to any woman who dared to be colourful, which I heard used in all seriousness only a few days ago: ‘red shoes = no knickers’. Nice to be reminded that the arc of history may be toward progress, but it’s still slow….!

So glad you weren’t sobbing, Pol. Slobbing definitely allowed (as is sobbing when necessary, but good that it wasn’t, this time)!

HELLO

After all that rain today we have sunshine and blue skies – it does lift the spirits!

Early morning (for me!!) Aerobic class at 0900hrs then met OH and a friend visiting from down south for a coffee and lovely slice of citrus and poppy seed cake – yum!

@carolannfud – I believe you are right – when I retired from a very busy working life, that left me little time for anything else; I promised myself that I would do all the things I wanted to try and to ensure that my new life was as stress free as possible and to make the most of each day! BTW loved that story!
    @purple Vegie Eater – sounds like you got those leaks sorted
    @happynow – definitely weird spring weather we have been getting – a bit of chaos on the roads yesterday morning by all accounts
    @fastfastslow – it may just be your body recovering from all the stresses it was put under recently
    @pollypenny – glad your OH had a great birthday and enjoyed his whitebait – shame about your meal!

Went to se “Hidden Figures” yesterday afternoon – The film was brilliant – I had not realised what was going on behind the scenes in the early days of NASA and how these 3 women managed to crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations to dream big. Well worth seeing if you have not already!

Off to see George Balanchine’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” Live OpΓ©ra de Paris this evening with some “ballet” friends this evening – looking forward to this for many reasons not least that the costumes were designed by Christian Lacroix!

Maintaining nicely keeping below my trigger weight point – so I’m a happy bunny xx

Sounds wonderful AT: long may you enjoy it!

I’m realising that the other thing we often (choose to) forget as we get slimmer is that we need fewer calories just to stay alive – i.e., TDEE drops drastically. For example, I too have done aerobics today, walking to class and back, and walked again this afternoon to shop. Fitbit says I’ve done 13,000 steps, walked 5.5 miles, been up and down stairs 21 times, and actively exercised for 114 minutes. Yet I’ve burned only 1300 calories – and even on days when I’m more active, I rarely get above 1700. (So much for NHS advice that 2000 is about right for a normal woman!)

This is all basic stuff to 5:2 maintainers – grannies….eggs…etc. But easily forgotten! There was a time when I probably could have burned 2000 calls just by sitting and breathing: the flip side of being slim is that’s no longer true.

Pilates tonight – but first, where’s that cuppa and newspaper…? (No biscuit – it’s fast day!)

Yes Fast
    I find this the most frustrating thing about being smaller, Fast. The difference between just staying in bed or hiking 8km is such a small amount in calories burned. πŸ˜‘
    And when you look at all that wonderful food out there, 1300 cals is SO small. (Now I’m sobbing, Pol)
    I did a genuinely very low fast yesterday, plus 6km of walking and some yoga. Shocking sleepless night. Nightmares. And lost NOTHING!!
    Below trigger, but nothing gained. P 😣

Re: TDEE. I checked out what sedentary (which I am unfortunately this week due to first having a cold and then putting my bleeping back out again) allows me. A measly 1500 calories!! Apologies P, I know it’s higher than yours, but I am taller… 😊 But really, it isn’t much is it?! So yes, I’m doing a Polly too, and sobbing in my dressing gown πŸ˜€

It’s a great image…fasters all over the world sobbing in their dressing gowns.
    Look after that back Happy. P

Get better soon, Happy – if only for another couple of hundred calls a day!

Hardly dare say it, but I’m another 1lb down today, after a sort of tiny bit cheaty FD yesterday. Shan’t get smug, but it’s a relief to see movement again, after a ‘stuck’ period. What interests me is that the renewal of change and effectiveness seems to be coinciding quite closely with my emergence from my spell of low mood. Apart from the obvious (less activity, bad choices when depressed, aka comfort eating, aka face-stuffing)s there a correlation between low mood and slower than usual metabolism? Too many variables to be sure (see above, plus of course the effect might actually go in the other direction,- a vicious spiral) but if so – let the sobbing do its stuff,then off with those dressing gowns and dry the eyes, people!

Morning, all. I love this ‘problems of being slim’! Even when I started on 5:2 I was shocked how low my TDEE was, so the average 2000 for women was unhelpful at the least. Mine is now 1440. Cutting breakfast is the key for me, as is putting cutlery down when satisfied. I don’t always manage the latter, mind you. In fact, I ate three biscuits yesterday and I don’t like blooming biscuits! This was as I cleared up after book group, so mindless eating!

I’ve put on 2lbs this week. That’s ok, though. I chart weight on Friday, but weigh every other day. I did go below 9 stone, so I don’t want that.

Very glad to hear that you’re feeling better, Fast. A bit of spring and warm weather does wonders, eh? Careful with that back AT.! Don’t try any ballet yourself!

PVE, did you enjoy your hike? Fresh air and good views are what I love.

Out for lunch today with the poetry group. The pub where we meet does a great light choice, so I’ll be good. I’m doing John Betjeman this time. We take turns. Need a final look over this morning.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

Thanks for the ‘no knickers’ explanation. I love the saying, will use it in future. See how many people know what I’m talking about! 😊

Pleased to hear you are on the move downwards Fast, sorry to hear you’re still in stagnation Purple!

After dropping on Wednesday, we went out for dinner for our anniversary and it all came back and hasn’t moved since! One piece of cake, no cream, made with almond meal and the tiniest little bit of flour, 2 glasses of wine is enough to do it it seems! Oh and a few chips πŸ˜„. My husband ordered them and of course I had to help him eat them!

I’m with you and the mindless eating Fast. I think my recent ‘no loss’ phase is to do with the fact I’ve started ‘picking’ again, from boredom etc.

I think ur mood can affect our metabolism, especially if you’re a comfort eater like I am.

Polly I thought you were sobbing in your dressing gown too – another lovely phrase!

Purple, a friend has asked if she can have some of my kefir grains. I cant say I’ve noticed that they have increased significantly in number but assume they have as the yoghurt is now a bit thicker than it used to be.

I know this sounds mean but I don’t want to give away too many! Can you recommend how much I give her ie 1 tablespoon etc 😊

Hi Carol,

When I bought mine I received roughly 1 teaspoon of grains, enough for 250ml of milk. It’s been a few weeks now, and mine have increased, so I’m making 300ml and have given excess grains to the hens. Mine is not yoghurt-thick, more a yoghurt drink.

If you haven’t got many grains, then you will have to be mean! But if you could spare a tsp of grains then she could get started.

On an unrelated note, after a good fast yesterday I’m 0.7kg up today!! I’m assuming it’s water and will go, but really!

No accounting for it, is there Happy! On the subject of kefir grains, my water ones have finally shown a bit of life interest – I think their numbers have increased slightly since inception several months ago, and the latest brew definitely has some more sparkle to it.

I made yoghurt over the weekend (not kefir), and it turned out great. Sour, so I looked at the ingredients of my starter (commercial) product, and saw the sugar as an ingredient. Guess I will have to learn to live with the less sweetened version, which was fine on my muesli this morning. Tastes change as our diets do. I am still enjoying my dark chocolate on NF days, though.

Those two kgs are still refusing to budge. Action will have to be taken, but not yet πŸ™‚

I hope Haggis Gap is working out, Hermaj. (Really Gap? – reminds me of the Underground!)

1 tbs is plenty Carol. Share the love 😊😊

Happy, sounds like yours is increasing quicker than mine – I leave mine to ferment for 2 days. is that what you do?

Re the 0.7 gain – welcome t o the club! It’s elite at present – only myself, Purple and Fast, but seems it’s growing lol!

I did actually lose after FD yesterday, which was a relief, but still above trigger due to weird gain after FD last week.

I’ll give my friend a generous tablespoon! 😊

I’m not contributing much lately – two large jobs to finish before we disappear to Spain in less than two weeks time, plus my share in the Haggis Gap admin and quite a busy social life.
    Just popping by to say, without glorying in others’ misfortune, how comforted I am by the fact that I’m not the only one on whom the scales play all sorts of dirty tricks. It even happens to the most successful maintainers.
    Thanks for the good wishes, Barata. The answer is yes, so far, so good. Even so, after all our dealings with dodgy domestic architecture the pessimist in me wonders if some surveyor is going to find that the house in Haggis Gap is built of gingerbread, or even worse, cheese! But as a friend remarked yesterday, that’s OK as long as it’s not Gruyere. πŸ™‚

First time I’ve been called ‘elite’ – except the week after the Brexit vote, and then it was intended as an insult. I seem to show a loss the day after the day after FD these days – and then it goes back up before next FD. Still under trigger point, but I want my wriggle room back!!!

Ditto Fast. My pattern sounds the same. We must be normal!!! 😊😊
    Carol, I always do my kefir for 24 hours. Also, having only 1 tbs of grains seems to be preferable to more. You should be taking some grains out at least once a week at this time of year.

Stunning sunset over the river as we sat eating in an open air restaurant last night. Amazing sunrise over the ocean as I lie in bed now. Beach running and swimming over the last couple of days has lifted my spirits no end after all the rain we’ve had.
    Cheers P 🌞

Depends on your definition of normal, I guess, P – but reassuring!
    Have been thinking of you in the wind and rain. Here, spring is trying hard – e days on, 7 off….
    Shopping this afternoon – bookshop, where I actually found nothing I wanted more than the continued presence in my wallet of a generous book token – but en route offered a chocolate to taste in almost every shop in the mall. Conspiracy!

Just watching Jim al Khalili on TV, demonstrating/lecturing about gravity. He’s just said that gravity is stronger in wet weather: perhaps that’s to blame for your gains, P….

Excellent excuse. But does that also mean when I weigh in the downstairs bathroom I should be heavier? I’m not. P

Apparently the difference between at sea level and at the summit of Britain’s highest mountain is approx .4 of a gram. I guess your scales just aren’t up to that level of sensitivity – or your house isn’t that tall…

Secret, according to JaK, is to get as far away as poss from the earth’s core.

…and also to get closer to the equator: the bulge in the earth’s shape = more distance from core. Fascinating!

…so, up a mountain, at the equator. Over and out!

Okay Purple, I shall do as you say with the grains. Do I need to give them to the dog ie I don’t use them again for more kefir? (I don’t need any more).

Fast, your loss pattern is the same as what mine is recently.

I think MM should be doing some research on us as we are all long term (?) maintainers and maybe there’s something going on???

Re your yoghurt Barata – is the sugar required to start the fermenting process? I enjoy one sq of dark chocolate on NFD too sometimes. I often get a taste for something sweet after dinner and find that does it for me. I read somewhere if you have a craving for something but don’t want to eat it to go and clean your teeth, gets rid of craving. I’ve tried it and it works. Probably sugar in the toothpaste – and I’m not joking! 😜

I always thought it was about not wanting to mess up that lovely fresh, clean feeling, Carol, butbyounmay be right, and it’s the sugar. How our bodies conspire to deceive our brains…
    I do the dark chocolate thing, too: wouldn’t cross the road for milk choc,p (I’m expensive to run!) but I always save enough cals for 1 sq of 90% – even at the end of FDs. 1 sq = about 58 cals – I’m happy to dedicate them to that!

I’ve always used the teeth cleaning trick. I think it gives a finality to eating. πŸ˜†
    I’m sure they are already looking at what we are doing. The walls have ears.

Freeze some grains in case something happens to yours, then the dog or compost. I even put some in my sourdough. I think it helped the rise. P

Off to clean my teeth! ‘Night, all.

Will do Purple!

Night Fast (I’m having breakfast) 😊

There’s no sugar added to my yoghurt, Carol, just some existing yoghurt and milk powder (tablespoon of each) in the cooled milk, then into the hot water cupboard in a couple of son’s old socks overnight.

Good morning, folks. Envying beach runs, PVE.

We’re off to Liverpool today to see the Blake/Tracy Eminent exhibition at last. Now that’s a combination. We would previously have gone to a lovely Spanish restaurant for their three tapas and a drink offer. I don’t think I can eat three tapas now and OH won’t either.

After the lovey Spring weather on Monday, we’re back to heavy showers. So the Tate and shops necessary. May well visit the Liverpool museum again. There’s always something new to see.

Lost that 2 lbs. general downward path. I don’t want to lose more though. The odd Aldi small chocolate bar and glass of wine are necessary.

Pol. 😳

Barata, I’m a bit confused then because you said there was sugar in the starter?

Well I’ve done another 24 hour fast today. Yesterday, my post-fast day, was not a good day! I clicked my back out (but did manage to click it back in), and was hormonal, so after a healthy lunch of smoked salmon and salad I set about eating a packet of oat cakes (7) with butter and marmite, then thought b*gger it I might as well eat the last two corn cakes (the plan being to not buy any more for a while!), and then I ‘found’ two coconut cookies in the freezer… To be fair, I did then eat very little for the rest of the day…so probably came in under TDEE…but still ☹️ Not my finest hour, and definitely not under the banner ‘no snacking’!

Sorry to hear you’ve done your back again Happy. I hope you aren’t in too much pain.
    Regarding the necessary consolation eating…if it all happened within a short period, that’s not snacking, that’s just an unusual meal, isn’t it?
    I’ve had some random eating patterns and IFing over the last week, including a purchased salad sandwich yesterday at 3pm when I just couldn’t go on fasting πŸ˜‘ And I wonder why I’m at the top of my wriggle room 😢
    It IS so much harder without the massive incentive of reaching a goal. It’s like comparing treading water to swimming out to the othe end. 😊P

Sounds like a really fun day, Happy! Those dragged hormones again: menopause does bring some blessings – eventually, once the Sturm und Drang abates! And it does all sound really healthy… just perhaps not all at once…? I don’t think you need worry about the ‘nonsnacking’ regime: that sounds more like a (lovely!) banquet. (But if that’s the closest you get to abandonment to hedonism, I reckon there’s still some margin for practice!). And it sounds as if you thoroughly made amends today – well done! We all know the hardest part of falling off the wagon is finding the will and energy to climb back on. ‘B*gger it, I might as well eat the freezer, too’ is just so easy – until an hour later!

‘Dratted’, not ‘dragged’ – and see, that’s two crossed posts reassuring you it wasn’t out of control snacking! If Purple and Fast both say so, it must be true!

Ah….the wisdom of the “elderly” πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Carol, the commercial yoghurt that I used as a starter contained sugar – 6.9gm per 100gm weight. I have not added any myself, and will use my batch to start the next one.

That was yesterday, Happy. Today is a brand new one, and no harm done πŸ™‚ And post-menopause is a wonderful time, I agree, Fast. Age – sorry, maturity – brings so many freedoms and pleasures.

A nuisance with your back doing that Happy!

I hear you re the ‘b*gger it’ attitude! I’m 2 days past FD and already over trigger point even though been eating healthy, assume it’s portion control.

Was planning on just having a coffee this morning but then saw this rather nice looking carrot and walnut cake and yes bu**er it,,ordered and ate it and wasn’t even that enjoyable – a bit dry.

Think if I want to stay below trigger I’m going to have to go to 2 FDs. Do I really want to? πŸ™„

Understand now Barata! 😊

πŸ™‚ Too often something that looks and smells so tempting disappoints. Bu**er, indeed (I first read it as butter)

Hope your back is back to best, Happy.

Fast, I think OH has fallen off the wagon. He’s complacent about losing 3st, but makes bad choices now. The key is that he rarely weighs, but goes by clothes. For me, seeing the weight decrease on my chart was great.

We liked the exhibition yesterday. But the link with Tracey Emin and Blake was tenuous. Her bed and few doodle smack of emperor’s new clothes, in comparison to that wonderful poet and artist, Blake. We managed to do the top floor of the Liverpool Museum, too. Very good. Cronked knee for me after so much walking, though.

Hi Polly, sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it recovers quickly. I must admit I’m not a fan of Emin, call it a lack of imagination on my part?! Or maybe I’m just old fashioned in my tastes…

Well I’m determined not to have a ‘b*gger it’ day today! I’ve got the day off, so won’t be sat at a computer just thinking about food, hopefully otherwise occupied. Persistent rain has scuppered outdoor plans, but my glasshouse staging needs cleaning, plant pots need washing, polytunnel beds need preparing, seeds need sowing…oh, and I’m in town this afternoon for a haircut. As usual, I’d like to have something different done but will inevitably come back with much the same, just tidier.

P, Australia sounds like it’s been getting a battering from the elements lately – are you affected this time? Good job there’s no such thing as climate change…think how much worse it would be if there were… πŸ˜€

Thanks Happy
    Today we are copping the edge of the ex tropical cyclone that hit Queensland. Very heavy rain and wind. Unfortunately we had to go into the city and managed to get drenched. The window keak is ok, nut water is dripping in throigh the new flue in the roof. πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
    Further north in our state, rivers are flooding. What a change from sitting on the beach on Monday and Tuesday. You are right Bay. We need to live for the moment. P ☺

Breaking news. You can all uncross your fingers, toes, etc. We have just received an offer of equity release on Haggis Gap, which confirms that the house is built of neither cheese nor gingerbread. Thank you all so much for your good wishes.

Thinking of all you Antipodeans facing the cyclone. And we whinging Poms think our weather is bad! Having said that, as Happy tells us, things haven’t been great in Cumbria recently.

Despite, being an arty-farty with a preference for the modern stuff, I’m not overly impressed with Ms Emin either, Happy and Pol. BTW, hope your back is improving, Happy. Likewise your dodgy knee, Pol.

Skiving off to the Royal Academy today with Him Indoors, to see America After the Fall: Painting in the 1930s, including work by my all-time joint favourite Edward Hopper (the other one is Marc Chagall, who definitely tends towards the weird).

Better get back to work.

Congratulations Herm & Himindoors!!!
    I’m no fan of Tracy and her unmade bed either. Chagall, on the other hand 😊😊😊
    Off to bed listening to the rain on the roof. P zzzz

But if it’s nut water leaking in, as you describe, P, I’m sure you can make good use of it…
    Commiserations and healing thoughts to all the injured and cyclone- hit; congtas indeed to his and hermaj!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,801 through 8,850 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.