The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,851 through 8,900 (of 11,673 total)

• Fasting today and fantasising about toast. Given that so many of us long-ter eras are currently struggling a bit, do you think there’s a natural timespan before our bodies mutiny? I WILL NOT become part of the statistical x% who lose weight and put it all on again, thus ‘proving’ you might as well not bother… come on friends – we’re better than that – and the honour of 5:2 is at stake!

Oh Fast, it was all going so well with nut water…until you extended you congtas-ulations to His and Hermaj!

Congrats from me too btw Hermaj, another step closer to Cambridge πŸ˜€

Fast, I’m not sure if it’s to do with time since weight loss, or just a bit of complacency creeping in, or just the time of year. Certainly in the NH, I find it more challenging in winter with cold dark and short days. And while I have mini spikes, I am still maintaining at/under my trigger weight of 60kg.

It also seems that most of us maintainers are at quite a light weight, and so a kg or two back on will still see us happily in healthy BMI range?

And even if it did turn out that there was a horrid inevitably to regaining weight, even with intermittent fasting, at 1kg or less per year it would still be a lot of years until we were back up at our original weights….

I suspect those that are seeing a bit of an increase (you know who you are, you long-ter eras πŸ˜€) just need to buckle down and get a bit stricter?

Great news about Haggis Gap, Herm! I like Chagall, too and I think I’ve seen some Hoppers. Good stuff.

My lovely neighbour is just back from Oz, Newcastle. She’ll be relieved to have missed it. She’s battened down the hatches. Very hard coming home to an empty house the first time after bring widowed. I bought some daffodils to welcome her back and left them on the kitchen table. I think I’ll risk popping across.

Deffo fly the flag for 5:2 as a way of life, not a yoyo diet. OH has put on two pounds, though. He will keep having a sandwich for first meal of the day, at 1pm,,while I have cereal or porridge. Naughty!

Hi Fast,

there is no reason that you SHOULD become one of the statistical x%! Let me tell you my story. In 1986 I lost 18kg, going from 84kg to 66 kg – I have NEVER put that weight back on; I stayed at around 65 – 66kg until late January this year when I embarked on the 5:2 diet to reduce my body fat % which had crept up as I got older (I am now 69). I am now officially ‘In Maintenance’ having reached my goal weight of 59kg, and <26% body fat.

In 1986 there was no Fast diet so I followed my gran’s advice (as given to my mother in the sixties) – if you want to lose weight cut out the potatoes, pasta and bread. It worked for me, I simply added more vegetables to my plate as I dished up ‘filling’ meals for three growing boys. The trick was to keep it off, and I did that by eating really, really small portions of the ‘whites’ – bread, pasta and potatoes once I had reached my goal weight. I continued to weigh weekly, and if I was up a kilo or so, I thought about what I had eaten that week, and could usually remember a larger size portion, or a treat. As we lived in rural Western Australia opportunities for take-ways were limited so I never got a taste for them, and with three growing sons, and a limited budget, meals were always home-cooked from basic ingredients rather than processed convenience food, even though I drove 170km (~ 110 miles) round-trip each weekday to my work in the city.

Over time, my tastes have definitely changed. Although I enjoy a rare piece of dark chocolate, I no longer have a sweet tooth, preferring savoury foods such as cheese; and I do enjoy one glass of wine and a half measure single malt whisky with friends as a weekly treat. With my husband I go on at least one cruise every year and carefully select foods I will enjoy eating. I will throw away an uneaten portion of something “if it is not worth the calories” – after all that portion is simply taking an alternative disposal route πŸ™‚

For me the trick has been to eat small portions of meat and dairy, no more than two pieces of fruit and large portions of vegetables; porridge or home made muesli for breakfast; one very thin slice of home made, grainy, seedy, nutty bread for lunch with egg, oily fish or cheese filling. I seem to have missed the trendy dieticians telling us over the last few years that we need snacks between meals, so have never acquired that habit πŸ™‚ Finally, when dinner is over the kitchen is closed! Leftovers go in the rubbish bin or in the freezer.

I do try to ride my bike or walk for at least 45 minutes every day for my health, but during busy times or injury (last year I was unable to exercise for 10 months due to a knee injury) I have still be able to keep the weight off. Finally, the only time I have ever counted calories is during my eight weeks on 5:2 to keep my single fast day meal under 450 calories – my TDEE is 1530.

Believe in yourself, you can be one of the 100-x% who maintain your weight loss if you don’t go back to the eating habits and quantities that caused your weight gain in the first place.

Sorry for the long post but to finish I would like to share with you my smiley moment for today when I tried on my wedding dress and it fit! I last wore it in May 1966.

Be mindful, cherish yourself.

Val

Thanks, Perth Girl – all good advice, of the kind we all use to encourage one another. You must have been well motivated, to achieve that loss without the benefits of 5:2 – much harder to do it when it involves giving things up every day. And most of us here have similar experience of tastes changing.
    I’m not seriously worried about putting the weight back on – I was very slim until my 40s, and now weigh 10lbs less than I did on my wedding day, at 23, and have maintained that for just under 3 years now so I do havebwriggle room – but determined to be vigilant about any beginnings of creep.

Yeah yeah, Happy I know: pot and kettle! Always was much better at proof reading than typing!

Very wet today as it was yesterday here in Cumbria but mustn’t grumble as the previous 5 days were wonderfully sunny.

Had a lovely weekend – spent my Saturday in a yurt and outside doing another Yoga workshop with 7 like-minded women -1000-1300hrs active class – then an hour’s break for a light macrobiotic lunch and a walk up the hills followed by a 2hr stretching and relaxing class, with some nidra yoga to end the day! slept like a log that night.
    On Sunday my DD had arranged to take me out for dinner after she finished work, but she then surprised me that she had got an unexpected day off work so we went for brunch, followed by a walk then a cheeky glass of proseco in the sunshine – home for a rest then out for a lovely meal that evening …….

Has anyone seen Isabelle Huppert in Elle? I went last night with a group of friends and we sat in the cinema talking about the film for half an hour after it finished – it certainly is thought provoking in many ways even if it isn’t your “cup of tea”

I so agree that having lost weight and being that much lighter means we need much less calories – I have a BMI of 20.6 and only need around 1500cals to maintain (I use a TDEE worked with only lightly active as I prefer to underestimate my activity levels)……..so I still do 2 x FDs and then can then have a bit more on some of my NFDs, I have to admit that I have also hugely reduced my carbohydrate consumption – this seems to work as I have kept to just below my target weight for 4 months now! like you @fastfastslow I shan’t be smug but remain vigilant – I weigh weekly after my 2nd FD to check that I’m not straying….. @pollypenny – I also no longer have breakfasts and if I overindulge on any given day – I have either a FD or a very controlled NFD the next day!

On a different note I meant to report back on tasting that Kefir drink produced by β€œRiverford Organic Dairy” I found – I LOVED IT and have been drinking some every day and even included some as part of my FD calories……..I’m now very tempted to try making my own as it will certainly be cheaper………..

Hope your back is fully recovered by now @happynow
    @purple Vegie Eater – I love Chagall too – have fond memories of visiting The Chagall Museum in Nice – if you have not been and are ever in Nice it is a MUST SEE and great news about Haggis Gap by the way
    @perthgirl – thank you for sharing your story – your bit about your wedding dress resonated so much with me – when I started on this WOL my aim was to get into my wedding dress (1980 for me!!) and I do now πŸ˜€ I so agree with your thoughts – for me 5:2 has to be a permanent way of life if I don’t want to see the weight creeping back on……

Just to end on a positive note – we all have got this and know exactly what works for us and I for one don’t believe that anyone here will fall off that wagon…….

I think you just proved we are not ‘normal’, Fast. Neither of us will ever fit into bog ordinary stats 😊😊😊

Hi Perthgirl Val. Thanks for your detailed story. I agree. Homecooked, reduced carbs, mindful eating and a healthy lifestyle are the tricks. As Happy says, we are all sitting in a healthy range here, but I know after 3 years of being back under 60kg, (I too was up in the 80s for a short while 4 years ago), I get a bit bored and try to be more flexible with eating. I also know very well how to drop it off again by simply not eating πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š

I know I ate yesterday when I should not have, weightwise, as I was cold and wet. It simply warms you up instantly.

I will never fit into my wedding dress again. Back in 1971 I weighed 52kg and was a very different shape. Five pregnancies have totally changed my hips. I looked like Miss Haversham, with all the buttons at the back undone. 😐😐

Busy weekend ahead, so no food now until tonight.

Keep vigilant mates. P

My wedding dress was cut up to make bridesmaid’s, page’s outfits for my eldest two children to wear at my sisters wedding, so I shan’t be required to try. A relief: I may be slimmer, but everything is also wrinklier, looser, and further south!

Anyone else seen the wonderful series of posters- common theme ‘This Girl Can!’ – designed to encourage women to be more active? Fantastic images of women of all different sizes, shapes, ages, skin colours, hormonal status, thoroughly rejoicing in different forms of exercise. If only that had been around when I left school, giving thanks after a relentless diet of team ball games, that I’d never need to take exercise again. Fortunately we could never afford a car when the kids were small, so I walked everywhere, but apart from that it took me till I was 54 to start moving again – and another year or so to start enjoying it. Today, having delighted in an hour’s dance aerobics, an hours pilates and a walk in the wind and rain, I don’t recognise that woman.

PS better fast today – and a reminder of how our attitudes have changed with 5:2: I refused (nicely!) the offer of a biscuit when visiting a friend, and explained it was FD. She immediately asked ‘but don’t you get hungry?’ and was genuinely mystified at my reply that, yes, I did, but I shouldn’t die from being a bit hungry, and would have a small meal tonight and then a NFD tomorrow. It had never occurred to her that hunger in a well nourished adult didn’t need to be satisfied immediately!

I think most of us didn’t recognize that Fast. We have been so used to fulfilling desires and mistaking them for needs.

I walk past a cake shop near my fruit shop at least once a week and pause, momentarily, to look at a gorgeous looking cream filled German cake. Every time I fleetingly consider purchasing it, then shake my head, often even say out loud, “You can’t justify that.” , and walk on. I think it does my resolve good. I probably wouldn’t even like it…I don’t have a sweet tooth 😊😊

Teeth clean. Dressed. Another fast on. 😊😊P

Enjoy it, P. I’m off to bed – knackered by virtue and activity!

AT,

I haven’t seen Elle, but I read a review in the Guardian online and then read some of the comments. It certainly sounds like a film that you either love or hate, and is probably uncomfortable viewing particularly if you’re a woman. But a lot of people are saying you need to view it in the context of Verhoeven’s previous work rather than as a standalone to get it. Did you enjoy it?

Perthgirl,

Thanks for sharing your story, most inspiring! I’ve not hit the menopause yet and I have been wondering what that might bring… all the ladies here give me hope that I can negotiate it and come out slim!

P,

On the subject of wedding dresses… Mine was empire line, so waist/hips immaterial! But…I had breasts then, I don’t now… They hung on bravely, but abandoned me when I dropped under 63kg…

Thanks all for your kind wishes re: my back. Unfortunately it went again while driving today and seems worse ☹️ OH has taken tomorrow off work (coincidence, nothing to do with caring for me!) and I’m hoping 3 days of light duties will help. I know a lot of people suffer with bad backs but, having spent 9 months off work and housebound 16 years ago, new and unusual back issues scare the s**t out me ☹️

I’m sure it does Happy. Now, no doing ANYTHING for the next 3 days. OH can do it. The chooks and cats will survive and anything that doesn’t isn’t worth worrying about.
    You must take care of No. 1. And get better. P x

Will be thinking of you, Happy: take it easy and exercise with discretion. X

Thanks P and Fast.
    The thing is that keeping on the move is fine, it’s sitting down that’s doing me in! It hasn’t been bad enough to need to take time off work on sick leave, but without taking a break from siting down for 7 hours it will eventually incapacitate me. But work only have reactive not proactive sick leave…

Then set up your computer on a high bench so that you can stand to work, Happy. It also allows you to move more. My art desk is a windup one. So much better for backs. I’m sure Mr Grumpy could whip up one in his shed for you. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ Or do a Freda Carlo and lie in your bed to work ☺
    Seriously I hope it does ease off again. P

Well I did raise the issue of standing desks when we had our last office move. Would you believe I was the only one (of 11) in favour, despite 5 others being keen fell runners and/or cyclists! They all moaned that they couldn’t possibly stand up all day!

I have been looking at what I could do for home working. I already have an ergonomic stool, but when my back’s ‘gone’ it doesn’t help. We have got some high windowsills so I may try my computer on them.

I bought mine at IKEA. Much quicker than waiting for the live in handyman to get around to it. 😊
    Our local public broadcasting radio station has standup desks. And some of them do 5:2! 😊

Sitting at a desk all day is the standard. And with our office going paperless this year, I’m not jumping up to the printer all day, to break the posture. We have initiated twice-daily group stretches for the staff, good social break too, but it doesn’t compensate. Flat on your back, Happy.

I did suggest standing desks, but the cost… And with three screens each it would be a mammoth task.

Quote from a report in today’s Guardian about projected changes in the NHS:
    ‘Patients who smoke or drink too much will be questioned about their lifestyle and given health advice. Hospitals will be financially penalised if they fail to screen for these and refer on to treatment services’
    Any clever person on here spot the glaring omission / lost opportunity??

Hi, everyone. A busy posting day yesterday! I enjoyed Perth Girl’s story, too. I don’t want to get into my wedding dress, though. When I did the F Plan, an unbelievable 20 years ago, I could – thought I was the bee’s knees in my size 8 trousers. It’s only now I seen his gaunt I was . I’ll be 70 on the 16th . My 50th photos are dreadful. High cheekbones are great when you’re young not so good when you’re older. That’s why I’ve had ice cream three time this week! (Lie). 🍨 😳 Not three scoops, though. 1 in the cinema. The coffee is irresistible

Re NHS advice, the subject of obesity is being challenged on Breakfast now. I’ve never understood why the extremely obese are not sectioned as some anorexics are. They cost the NHS a fortune.

More pleasant subject, we saw the Royal Opera House production of Madame Butterfly life in the cinema last night. Wow!!!!!!

Pol.

I’m with you Poll. Too thin and you are victimised. Fat and it’s ok.
    We are in a country town tonight. Unbelievable how many obese people have waddled past. We both keep saying, “I hope they aren’t going to eat!” πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘P

Lots f interesting chat on here!

PerthGirl/Val, thankyou for your comments. They were inspiring, reassuring and also made so much sense.

Based on your words and something Fast said recently I have now written down calorie count of common foods I eat. This then brings it all to the forefront of my consciousness. I am going to check my TDEE because it possibly needs adjustment and am going to pay more attention to portion size.

I think lately I have slipped into the habit of thinking ‘if it’s healthy doesn’t matter how much I eat’, which is quite incorrect! I think I’ve over indulged with meat, dairy and potatoes (my OH loves them). I’m only talking about half a kg to a kg here but for some reason that’s important to me!

Happy, I hope that back improves. Do you have massage? I’ve had lots of issues with my back over the years and although I get a lot of twinges it hasn’t really gone ‘out’ for quite a while, touch wood. So damm annoying when it’s playing up!

I’m always more than a little disturbed by conversations about the obese being given lifestyle advice by some NHS person and possibly being refused treatment. Fortunately, so far I’ve never been seriously ill, never suffered a serious injury, and never, ever been hospitalised, and am in generally much better shape than I have the right to expect in my very advanced years.

Now in my 5th year on 5:2 and having lost 20% of my starting weight, with a BMI of 28 (it used to be 35!) I’m still dangerously near borderline obese. Prior to 5:2 I had always eaten healthily in terms of quality, but clearly not in terms of quantity. I’m convinced it’s the fasting element that has made the all the difference.

Even so, it’s been incredibly hard work with an annual loss of around 4.5 kilos, but with a dramatic effect on BP (now med-free for coming up for 2 1/2 years), improved vision (previous lenses now too strong), and various other great spin-offs. Haven’t had a blood test recently but am planning to soon – when I can get past the front-of-house staff (don’t ask) at the local health centre.

Having been lectured and told “not to put any more on” some years ago when for once I was hovering within a kilo or so of optimum weight and (pre-5:2) having received constant warnings about consuming the sort of fatty, sugary stuff I haven’t touched in years, I dread getting into a verbal punch-up with some eager beaver of a medic who tells me I’m digging my grave with my teeth and sends me on my way.

I confess that, having had a bit of a rough ride recently what with house purchase and sale while have to keep a number of balls in the air workwise, and OH under pressure as he attempts to sort out the finances and care arrangements of his nearly 97-year-old, demented mother, I’m currently walking alongside the wagon – i.e. taking reasonable care but occasionally breaking the rules – rather than on it. Today, having had a bad night and overslept, I am willingly observing a 24-hour fast.

Apologies, herm – I should have made it clear that a) I’m not into refusing treatment, for whatever reason, and b) I do realise it’s possible to have a high bmi and be fit. Who knows what underlying stresses in people’s lives cause them to eat badly, drink or smoke – or, as you say, who are the ones who eat healthily and just drew the short straw of a super-efficient metabolism? Not intended to hurt your feelings – or to be snitty about ‘them’ out there – but you say yourself that you rarely bother a doctor, so it’s not the likes of you we’re talking about, but those who are regularly at the surgery, with problems caused or exacerbated by their eating habits. Agreed, lecturing will do more harm than good – but booze and smoking treatment programmes no longer take a punitive approach, but seek to empower people to understand their own stresses and addictions and offer support in dealing with them. Surely, for people who – unlike you – have become ill through poor diet and obesity, similar guidance, screening, help etc should be equally normal?
    Hope your fast leads to a better night’s sleep, with sweet dreams now that the moving stress is a tiny bit less. All the rest is a b*gger, though – tell hsimaj he has my heartfelt sympathy.

Fast, I didn’t for one moment think you were getting at me and those like me.

My response was directed at the sanctimonious attitudes of some of the medical profession – even those who could do with losing a kilo or three themselves. I do take your point that the sympathetic approach should supersede the punitive attitudes of the past and be extended beyond smoking and booze to obesity issues.

As far as booze and fags were concerned, I was lucky. I was never a great one for the booze and, thanks to vastly improved nicotine-replacement methods, on my tenth attempt I finally got myself off the ciggies, which didn’t help with weight loss BTW, despite the fact I was very careful not to eat instead of smoking.

I think it’s an acknowledged fact that many people with weight problems, whether of their own making or not, hesitate to go to the quack because they can’t face yet another drubbing. My worst ever experience was in my late 20s when I – I believe like many other women – had problems with the mini contraceptive pill. Newly married, I was also very sure I wanted to remain child-free – still totally unacceptable in the 70s.

At that point I was no more than 4 or 5 pounds overweight (hadn’t got round to kilos in those days), i.e, nearly slim. The cow of a female doctor suggested firstly that I was unhappy therefore I overate and, secondly, that I should seek psychiatric help to make me want a child. What else was I going to do with my wretched life? In a way, she did me a favour. By asking that very question she sowed the seed that eventually led me back into higher education and the subsequent interesting and (mostly) happy and rewarding working and personal life.

Great term…”walking alone side the wagon”, Herm. I feel I often do that. ☺
    The folk we were watching yesterday were morbidly obese. 150+ kilos. And buying large quantities of alcohol and unhealthy take aways.
    The trouble is GPs don’t know how, or have the time, to guide people into health. Drugs are far quicker. P

Hi Purple, Carol, Fast, Happy, Hermaj and all

Sorry, I haven’t posted in a while. I fell off this thread unintentionally some time ago, and I have missed your cheery camaraderie. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΉ

I have just enjoyed reading all the lovely posts for the last few months. What a wonderfully wise and supportive bunch you are.

I am also bouncing along at a higher than desirable weight, through being less careful than I should be. Do you think that after 3 years we just get a little bored?

I can see I need to get back on the serious wagon, and it’s great to feel your support. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hello Bay, welcome back. Sounds as if we all need a communal re- boot – perhaps switch ourselves off and then on again?
    Good to have you back, anyway!

Bay, how lovely to see you back on this thread. I for one was wondering where you’d got to and I know for sure I’m not the only one to miss your contributions.

Just to recap on recent exchanges. I’m delighted, but not really surprised, to find fellow Chagall fans on the thread. I know he’s not to everyone’s taste, but I love his work. I have a reproduction of “Over Vitebsk” with the pedlar walking in the sky in direct line with the sofa where I sit and read of an evening.

And yes, AT, I’ve been to the Chagall Museum in Nice – twice, and I’d gladly go back. Here’s a reminder, although I’m not sure all the works shown are to be found there. As I recall, it’s quite a small museum.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Chagall+Nice&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjldu0kIPTAhVMK8AKHV8lAqwQ7AkIWg&biw=1667&bih=947

The Royal Academy “America After the Fall” exhibition is great, quite small and more digestible than the mega Russian show, which is also well worth a look. Something I never knew. The two super-grumpy people depicted in “American Gothic”, which is on the exhibition poster, aren’t husband and wife, but father and daughter.

But if you think they are miserable buggers, you should see “Daughters of the Revolution”, who aren’t a whole lot happier. I swear they used to teach at my school. Both images are on this link: https://www.wikiart.org/en/grant-wood/daughters-of-revolution-1932

Hi,bay. Good to hear from you. I’m counting the cost of three ice creams this week – just 4oz under target, so am fasting on a Saturday! I find this hard as OH goes to watch rugby, so I Hoover and a dust a bit, then indulge in a sneaking chocolate bar, small one. However, I couldn’t today so tinnitus was raging, too.

Luckily a neighbour called to pay me the vast dum of Β£2.50 which she owed me. Good avoidance.

Meeting daughter’s bloke tomorrow and sister, brother in law and niece coming. Daughter has arranged an early birthday do for me as we will be in Thailand on the day. I need to be sensible tomorrow as well. Ice cream will be better than sticky toffee pudding!

Concerned about all the Aussies with those floods!

Hi Bay!

Purple also suggested there may be a little boredom crept in Bay and I think that’s right for me.

I wish we could do a re-boot Fast!

Hope you have a lovely early birthday meal Polly! πŸ’πŸŽ‚

Ah Polly, so you’re the queen this year with two birthdays! Have a great day, and have sticky toffee pudding if that’s what you fancy, you know now how to lose/ maintain your weight.

Bay, it’s great to have you back in the fold. I’d been wondering how you were getting on…Too busy golfing and cleaning to think of us?!

Hi Bay
    Great to have you back. We’ve missed your words of wisdom.
    We spent the day down your way today. The autumn leaves will be out soon and the area will look a picture. Enjoy your walks at this lovely time of year. P

Thanks, Happy. I wish we hadn’t booked fir such long haul, now. Venice would have been better, I think. I like to be around fir my birthday and childishly, enjoy a bit of fussing.

PVE, it’s funny when you talk about the opposite seasons to us. I gave the conservatory a good clean on Friday, ready to bask in its warmth!

Pol 🍸

Another beautiful sunny day in Cumbria – so lucky with the weather – the last 2 days of rain is soon forgotten when the sun is shining all spring is definitely in the air.

I’m relieved and a bit sad that my role as host for the March Challenge has come to an end but it will be nice to have those spare hours again – I should be able to get back to reading a bit more……It will be good to just read and post at my leisure ………

@happynow – I found Elle rather interesting – went with 5 other people and we were a bit divided in our feelings – it is a feminist film and I thought Isabelle Huppert was brilliant – she is not likeable at first but I think she becomes more likeable when she start to find her moral code towards the end of the film. hope your back is getting better……..
    @hermajtomomi – thank you for the links – we have a print of La MairΓ©e (The Bride) – OH and I visited the museum in Nice a few times also and I loved his stained glass windows – he uses such a beautiful shade of blue….The second link and your descriptions made me smile – such miserable faces…
    @fastfastslow – I clocked the β€˜This Girl Can!’ posters – I agree they are great. Like you I can always refuse something on a FD as I know I can have it tomorrow but often tomorrow comes and I don’t want said item – But on NFD it always seems harder to refuse something……even if you don’t want it…..WHY?
    @perthgirl – thank you for sharing your story – inspiring for someone who is relatively new to this WOL – I started in January 2016 and have just started my 5th month in maintenance……I have gained both physically and emotionally from following this WOL and my plan is to continue fasting 2 days a week for the hopefully long term benefits, some of which I have already benefitted…..

I take great encouragement from this forum as most of you have been at this WOL much longer than myself. It makes me believe that I can carry on – I never truly feel deprived on this WOL, although what I like and how much of what I like has changed over the past year or so…….Into my 5th month of maintenance I go…..

β€œThere is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” – W. Clement Stone

Re the quote about attitude. I reckon a BAD attitude has a lot to be said for it – especially as one gets old enough for peeps to think they can push you around and patronise you. Seems to work for me. πŸ™‚ Most of the time, at least.

AT, would I be right in thinking you’re a francophile – taste in films, places you’ve been to., etc? Me too. If you happen to be in north-eastern France, i.e. Alsace-Lorraine, take a wee detour to the city of Metz. We’ve taken to staying in Airbnb apartments when we’re travelling and a couple of years ago we stayed at one in Nancy, famous for its Art Nouveau connections. The minute we walked through the door I noticed there were two Chagall reproductions in the hallway. Immediate talking point between me and the very nice owner, who recommended we find our way to Metz Cathedral where there was a set of stained glass windows, which we duly did. Wonderful stuff!

La MariΓ©e

Hi there

Many thanks for your warm words of welcome. In December I was dropped off this list, and I was so busy for a month or so, I didn’t think of getting back on. We have been away from home more than not since mid December. I’m sorry we were away when you were down our way, Purple. 🌺🌺

Off again now for the next 3 weeks. The joys of retirement. πŸŒβ›³οΈ We look around and see that we have only another 5 years to travel easily, so we are doing all we can now. We’ve joined the band of people who say yes to everything on offer. Within reason, Happy! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Yes, we have been gardening, golfing, cleaning, walking, and seeing all the latest films. Hope you are all well and that your back clears up soon, Happy. When I have problems, i have a muscle massage from my physiotherapist, who specialises in active people and our problems. πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Cheers, Bay πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸŒπŸŒ

Yesterday I fasted for 24 hours, with interesting results. Firstly it was shockingly cold and I didnt respond with suitable clothing early enough. Doh! In the middle of Winter it would have been a balmy day. However, this was a huge drop from our previous hot weather. So I spent all day being cold and miserable and fighting off a sore throat. Result was I chose to have a glass of wine with my eggs and mushroom dinner. I still posted an 800 gram loss for the day. So hooray for fasting. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸŒΊπŸŒΊ

I am not as strict in maintenance as I was when losing weight. No doubt this counts for the slow increase in weight. I will have to get back on the serious 5:2 wagon very soon. πŸŒπŸŒβ›³οΈβ›³οΈ Meanwhile we are off to golf in faraway places.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hi Bay
    I’m with you. The sudden plummet in temperature yesterday made fasting very hard. Temperature is all relative. What seems a nice winter day is freezing after heat. I ended up in a ski jacket to stop myself from eating. We lit the fire at night. Humans are very sensitive to temperature variations. Minus food, it is even more obvious.
    Glad the end result was positive.
    We’ll catch up next time.
    Cheers P

Me three! It was 24 here yesterday but I was freezing all day!

Stuck to my FD very well, breaking the fast at 9pm (due to circumstances not design) with a bowl of pumpkin soup and 6 almonds, which was 27 hours. I wasn’t really that hungry and was quite tempted to see if I could go through til morning but didn’t want to wake up in the middle of the night starving!

AT! I think you do longer than a 24 hr fast don’t you?

Result from FD – 200g lighter and still 500g above trigger!

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Happy travels Bay! Love your attitude – yes to anything on offer! 😊

Interesting that you get huge daily temperature variations in Australia, too. I’m always cold, nothing to do with weight loss.

We had a lovely dinner with sister and family on Sunday. Met daughter’s boyfriend who is delightful, so crossing every digit that lasts. Out for lunch after tai chi as a farewell to an old member who is returning to her American home. Like us, she has a son the the USA and sold up to move near him, building a big house to share. Risky.

Then it’s Grumpies lunch on Thursday, another nearly birthday dinner on Friday with the rugby lot, so I’ll have to b careful.

Bay, definitely say yes to any gallivanting. Take advantage of these golden years. Love the thought got of PVE sitting around in a ski jacket. Mustn’t tell OH, he’ll consider it a good idea to save on heating!

Pol.

Had a great liquid/minimal calorie FD yesterday and woke up feeling full of beans this morning. Needed that FD after an over indulgent weekend with maybe a bit too much wine………..

Another gorgeous spring day here in Cumbria so went for 5mile/8km walk with a friend and then met with DD for a light lunch to break my fast

@hermajtomomi – I might be……..Ooops missed that “i” in La MariΓ©e – my mother would have been appalled as I was brought up bilingual with English as my second language!!!!!!! OH and I love all things french and have spent many a happy holiday travelling around France. Not been to Metz but visited Colmar (A lovely area and not forgetting that Colmar Wine Country is the Capital of Alsace Wines!!) and Strasbourg (Gothic Cathedral of Notre-Dame so well worth a visit) so maybe Metz next time…..
    @carolannfud – Yes I often fast for around 40hrs sometimes eating up to 500cals and other days no solid food and minimal cal drinks – depends on how I feel and how much overindulgent my weekend might have been…….

I have had a busy afternoon making 36 cup cakes! mixture of vanilla and chocolate ones for the club for the elderly that I volunteer at on Wednesday afternoons – we are doing a bit of an Easter celebration for them – now to ice them all………..

Going out tonight with our local running/walking club but will be mindful of what I’m eating and drinking as currently still feeling full after my mixed salad lunch.

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony” Mahatma Ghandi

Hello everyone out there! Are you there?

I am new to this site, just registered. Can I ask you a question? I am failing in committing to the 7am-7am next day routine. I have three children and I can’t resist their delicious, cheesy buttery meals after school! So, I thought, I should do 4pm-4pm routine when I could start my fast day with my children’s tea and finish the fast day with their tea the following day? Would this still count as a fast day? HELP

Hi Igorek,

it doesn’t matter when you eat on your fast day, the important thing is that you consume only quarter TDEE (roughly 500 calories) during your waking hours. So if you want to eat with the kids after school instead of eating later in the evening you can…although ‘cheesy buttery meals’ sound quite calorific!

Thank you, so much. Can I break my diet with the second meal with my children?

Hi Igorek! Yes you can break the fast with the children. The times of day you fast don’t matter it’s just getting a fasting period in and not having more calories that you should on your FD.

It seems like you’re doing a 24 hr fast so you can start that anytime – 4pm, 6pm, 7am, 8am – anytime you like as long as you then fast for 24 hrs or until you can’t last any longer.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for helping me out. I will try this out and let you all know!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,851 through 8,900 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.