The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,751 through 8,800 (of 11,673 total)

• Not sure if this link will work, but I hope it does. Happy St Patrick’s Day to all you Celts.

https://www.jacquielawson.com/sendcard/preview?cont=1&hdn=0&fldCard=3179183&path=105741&pmode=init

Hismaj is of Irish descent with a typically Irish name and surname. His dad was a Yorkshireman. We think a 19th-century ancestor from County Mayo came over to Yorkshire to earn a few bob harvesting potatoes and never went home.

PS: one of the couples who viewed the flat last night – returnees from last time around – have offered us our asking price, thereby giving us some wriggle room should their surveyor find anything dodgy, as s/he well might. Let’s hope they aren’t going to disappear like the previous potential buyers.

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Great news, Herm. Cross fingers and toes!

Pol

Too busy concentrating on keeping everything crossed (plus the odd prayer, as you’d expect – nothing like hedging your bets) to write a proper post! Thinking of you, herm.

And once again we’ve neglected to organise Paddys day at Cheltenham – just up the road!! Next year, for sure!

Top news Herm 😊😊
    All Irish “singinged” out, so off to bed. Still pouring as we left the pub. P

Good morning from a very wet Cumbria – after a great start to the week here, it has been raining a lot since Friday…..

OH madly went out with his local running club for a training run this morning – just got back very wet and muddy – said it was rather windy up top but he seems to have enjoyed himself.

Hope the house sale/buy goes through this time @hermajtomomi – great news that you loved the last house Haggis Gap (great name) it seems to tick off all your boxes – I used to love going to Cambridge and the villages around when I lived in Suffolk – I would highly recommend visiting “Midsummer House” a brilliant restaurant for a special occasion – no airs or graces for a 2 Michelin Star place and they cater really well for vegetarians – my OH is pescatarian and they adapted the menu for him with no fuss.

Talking about food…….
    Had a mother daughter night out on Thursday – started with cocktails before dinner – we had a great time!!
    Then went to wine tasting night around a 3 course menu on Friday – a wine master matched 2 wines with each course, a conventional one and more unusual wine – excellent evening. He was very “normal” and an interesting speaker without lecturing us about wine!
    Saturday was not much better – home but it was a Rugby fest – with some surprising results…….OH was keen for one of my fish/veg curries so today I was really keen for a FD to reset buttons as a busy social calendar again next week…..

Sounds like those of Irish descent enjoyed themselves and had a bit more to celebrate than St Patrick’s Day, with Ireland winning at the Rugby – My Irish friend from Suffolk was beside herself…..we were madly texting during the match……she had to leave the room towards the end as it was too much to bear she said…LOL. I have no particular allegiance as still go for Australia when they are playing – so was happy to support Ireland!

Off to the ballet this afternoon – “The Bolshoi presents a triptych of works by three masters of modern and contemporary choreography. The company performs The Cage by choreographer Jerome Robbins, a master of visualizing and translating music to movement. Together with Harald Lander’s homage to classical ballet in Γ‰tudes and Alexei Ratmansky’s colorful folklore-inspired Russian Seasons.” A very different offering from them – should be interesting……

Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying life.

Well done Ireland! 😊😊☘☘
    I lose the plot occasionally (maybe often πŸ˜‘). Do you have Aussie connections AT, or just good taste? πŸ™„
    Wine tastings can be a lot of fun, can’t they? I find the amount of water I also consume on these occessions washes out the extra calories in wine and food 😁😁

Monday fast here. The rain has finally stopped so we can get out and stretch again after a week of being hunkered down.
    Cheers P

Hi P – I grew up and lived in Melbourne from around 13y.o until 22y.o – married an Australian!! took a year off to travel around Europe and never went back – settled in the UK……..but my heart still lies with Australia in all sporting matters especially cricket and Rugby!!! I’m going back in March next year for a visit and to attend (one of) my niece’s wedding!

We had a lot of rain here too since Friday – the fells around here are saturated and the rivers are all very full. Yet the beginning of last week was gorgeous sunshine and warmish – very spring like!

I like your logic about the effect of drinking water……..LOL – sadly not – I failed at my FD today but it was a CD, another CD tomorrow as out for a meal with an old friend. So definitely will need a water FD on Tuesday!!!!

Sorry AT. Yes, of course, I remember now 😢
    What is CD other than a compact disc? I must be very slow today.
    P

Controlled Day – It’s what I call a day when I’m not managing to achieve a FD but eating well below TDEE for a NFD – somewhere in between……..πŸ˜‰

I like it!
    I’m off to the city library by train to keep me out of the kitchen 😊😊

I couldn’t figure out what CD meant either but it’s a great term!

Good idea going out Purple! I’m struggling today and don’t know why as it was a very restrained weekend.

Every FD is different and only another 15 minutes to go lol!

I started cooking at 5:30 Carol. I used up lots of “older” veg out of the fridge plus chilli, ginger, lime, a little passata, zero spaghetti and some smoked salmon. I held off until 6:20. Not fabulous, but filling.
    You are right. Some days are tougher. Enjoy your “break fast”. 😊😊 P

Not happy Jan!

I did a 23 hr fast yesterday, with a 342 calorie meal at tea time. This morning I was 500g above what I was yesterday morning! I’ve never ever fasted and not lost weight before, let alone put it on!!!

Don’t understand it. I bought new scales recently because my old ones were giving inconsistent readings, but I’ve no reason to doubt the new scales.

Oh well, see what tomorrow brings 😞

Happy fasting all!

Strange isn’t Carol? I went to bed after yesterday’s fast 1.5kg above my trigger point!!! Very scary!! I’ve not seen that in years. This morning I’m back down to .5 below…the same as yesterday morning before the fast. Go figure?
    Mr P experienced the same as you. He’s heavier today than yesterday morning. We had a 24 fast then about 500cals last night. I guess our bods just don’t give it up as easily any more. πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘ P

That is certainly weird! All of us experiencing the same predicament!

I know I shouldn’t place such store in the numbers but it’s disappointing not to get a result for your effort.

Sure is! Drives me to eat. But very restrained. I just had spicy dhal with yogurt for lunch. Small portion but delicious. Plenty more to freeze for other days. Mr P doesn’t like it 😊😊😊

Sounds nice. I had left over cabbage my husband makes. Sounds weird but it’s actually a quite nice. His parents are Polish and the cabbage is a fav from his childhood. It has bacon and onion in it and it’s cooked in water until very soft and then thickened a little bit. Sort of a cross between soup and stew lol

Add mashed potato and you have something like Colcannon. We ate it in an Irish pub on St Pats last week. 😊

So much similarity in food amongst the different cultures! 😊

One of my favourites MIL makes is pierogi. They are a boiled dumpLing filled with either sweet or savoury and then lightly browned off.

They have similar in Germany, Hungary and Latvia. Possibly other places too that I don’t know about. πŸ˜„

I love the way the same basic ingredients can make such a range of dishes. I often list what I have in the fridge, with a particular meal in mind, only to have Mr P change it to something else. For example, a left over wrap found in the freezer, salami, capsicum and pomegranate couscous. I envisaged a wrap. He wanted pizza with couscous on the side. ☺ He won. He made it and it was good. πŸ˜ƒP

Hi, carol and P. Looks like a club developing: in the last week I’ve had two really good FDs, and each time woken exactly the same (upper end of range) weight the next day. Obviously the Empire striking back, and maybe says something about my NFDs, but discouraging…Let me know if you suss it!

I’m SURE it’s portion creep on NFDs Fast, but as long as I’m below 60 every morning, I’ll wear it. Over 60, and I’ll have to get VERY serious again!
    It just goes to show how easy it was for us to gain weight in the first place (and could again) without fasts. πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

Good morning, girls! That is very annoying for you, Carol. I’m just trying to stabilise, having lost too much last week I had too many carbs on Sunday and yesterday so put 2 lbs back on.

OH is still using avoidance tactics, but he said he wants to cook something from Mimi’s book today. It’s his birthday tomorrow and he has the choice of where to eat. It’ll be whiting, followed by gammon, no doubt in a place I’m not keen on.

Three coffees then tai chi again. Interesting that your husband teaches it, Herm. 10 years ago I couldn’t find a class, now there’s a number of them in the area. I love our teacher, a down to earth, great guy. We are his Ninja Nanas!

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

PVE, I forgot to comment on your portion creep! Spot on. It’s what did for us in the first place. I think OH was cooking for four. 😳

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

I was cooking for 6! As each one grew up and left home we just ate more, I guess.
    Part of it these days is also complacency. Eg Mr P bought the fish for tonight. He bought enough for 2 meals! In the past we would have somply eaten it all.
    Have a good birthday dinner with your OH Poll. It IS his day 😊😊

Sometimes someone shifting the goalposts is a good thing. No doubt many of you will have seen this story,as the dateline is March 12, but for those who, like me, missed it last time around, here are Dr Michael’s words of wisdom.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

I’m treading warily, having had a disaster when I switched for a month to a cross between the BSD diet (from where no doubt the 800-cal advice originated) and twice-weekly 24 hour fasting, and REGAINING 3 kilos, all of which haven’t yet gone. I’ve come to the conclusion that I may be one who still has to watch her fat intake – not by means of low-fat but high-sugary stuff, I hasten to add. I shall have another crack but if I want increase my fast day allowance to 800 cal, or a tad under, I’ll add a bit more lean protein.

Things have moved forward re Haggis Gap, no doubt helped by much finger-crossing on here. Following some healthy “haggissing” (i.e. haggling), we have agreed a very reasonable price with the vendor and we’ve had our buyer’s offer confirmed in writing. There is no chain either end, which is also good. Still not convinced nothing can go wrong, we shall only put the flags out once contact are exchanged.

All the best Herm. For the life of me, I can’t understand why the UK has such a dodgy property sales system. Over here, you exchange contracts, the purchaser pays a 10% deposit, held in trust, and it settles in about 6 weeks. If you default you lose the deposit. Pretty big incentive!
    I have a good feeling about Haggis Gap…remember my pics of ‘wild haggis’ cowering in the corners of fields in Scotland I put on FB? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Think I’ll keep quiet about the 800 calories…..OH doesn’t need to know everything, does he…..?

Goodness me I started yesterday so well but meeting up with an old friend yesterday evening was great fun but totally disastrous in way too much food and especially wine……..
    Woke up this morning to see snow on top of the fells then went for a good walk this morning with my usual group to clear the cobwebs – we had glorious sunshine, heavy hail then overcast and then more sunshine – I thought Spring had started yesterday!!

Hoping for a good FD today – Only water and tea with a dash of skimmed milk so far today – yoga class this evening then a planned 400cal supper of mixed seafood with onions, garlic, fresh oregano, tomatoes, red peppers and some spinach tossed in at the end – OH has brown rice or pasta added to bulk his up.

Another yoga class planned for tomorrow morning and hoping to carry on fasting for as long as possible tomorrow…….

Adding to all the talk about weights – I was at my lowest weight on 11/3 (53.8kg/118.6lbs) well below my maintainance weight but have not dared to weigh myself since – too many social outings involving a fair bit of food and lots of wine; but will brave the scales tomorrow morning!! I had done an extra FD before that last weigh in as I knew what might be in store on the food/wine front…….so fingers crossed

@hermajtomomi – fingers and toes all crossed for you – IT WILL HAPPEN!
    @fastfastslow – no OH does not need to know…….LOL but he might read about it……..

“Live a happy and positive life”

Great news, herm. Looks very promising. AT, I don’t know why you want to lose any more weight. I certainly don’t know. I seem to waver around 126/7.

I’m not telling OH about the 800 calorie idea either. He’s become complacent and it is hard on him, with me not wanting to lose more. He’s actually making Mimi’s curry at the moment. This is before his birthday tuck-in tomorrow of course.

Greetings all,

Hermaj, great news on buying/ selling houses progress! I’ve got everything crossed for you.

The news on a slightly more generous fast day allowance doesn’t affect me, since I suspect that quite a few of mine come in nearer 600 (or…ahem…700) anyway 😊

AT, yes we’ve got a small blast of winter back! I had a hairy journey down the motorway this morning, narrowly avoiding mishap – several vehicles had spun off on ice. I gather spring comes back at the weekend though πŸ˜€

I’ve fasted today, hoping to kill a cold as well as maintain my weight…

Great yoga class tonight! I have another class tomorrow and then I have an all day workshop booked on Saturday for the Spring Equinox – really looking forward to that.

@pollypenny – I am not aiming to lose any more weight but to maintain at around 55kg but I want to keep doing 2 x FD a week for the long term health benefits – after 1 year of 5:2 WOL my asthma is well under control, minimal inhalers required! My cholesterol levels are so much better – dropped my bad one by over 1 point (still slightly above normal!) and my ratio of bad to good has also dropped by more than 1 point. I have more energy, sleep well and really enjoying life – have now been maintaining for nearly 4 months!

@happynow – that journey sounded a bit scary glad to hear that you made it safely

Really enjoyed my seafood dish tonight and about to make a cup of Pukka Detox tea with aniseed, fennel and cardamon – love the taste of that one – they make some lovely teas!

Always keep ’em in the dark Fast πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    Keep warm and safe folk. My girl sent me snaps of the snow. She is thrilled! 😊 ❄❄

Well I’m friends with the scales again this morning…how about you Purple and Fast?

Since I went to 24 hr fasts about 2 months ago I have noticed a change in my weight loss pattern.

When I was doing 18 hr fasts I would lose about 500g the next day and then usually another 500g the day after, gradually decreasing until Thursday which was always my lowest weight day.

On 24hr fasts I’ve noticed I’m often the same weight the next day and then about 1kg lighter the day after and then very little change at all for the rest of the week.

Yesterday after my FD was the first time ever I have not changed and in fact I increased my weight!

I am going to start counting calories on non FD Fast, just to see if there’s anything happening there that shouldn’t be. Will keep you posted.

I don’t understand it. Only thing that was different, I peed a lot last night and didn’t on FD night. Wait and see what happens next week I guess.

I def will not be going to 800 cals on FD. I’m one of those types that need black and white rules and as soon as I start thinking ‘oh a little bit won’t hurt’, I know I’m lost and I think 800 is just too much leeway for me. Plus I manage quite well on 400 anyway.

AT, I just get the impression from you that you put 100% into your life and enjoy it so much! 😊

Herm, fingers xed re haggis. I’m the same as Purple, have a feeling this is it!

Happy, I’ve never had to drive on ice but imagine it’s quite scary. Not nice having a near miss but pleased it was a miss!

I hardly like to say it but I’m getting a bit fed up with the warm weather lol! Next month will see a change for us, the mornings are already cooler here.

Still the same this morning Carol. I’ve basically been thus weight for weeks, with the very occassional up or down, but not 1kg lighter, where I’d be happier. NFD overeating has to be my issue. I’ve reintroduced foods I was avoiding completely for a while (floyr based) and will have to be more mindful.

We’ve had weeks of rain, with a couple of barely raining, but overcast and humid days. Last night the gutters blocked and water came in the loungeroom. I’ve spent the morning trying to reach (very high) to reduce the load. Probably excellent stretching exercise πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

I might pull out some of the food lists I ate 4 years ago when losing weight. Can’t hurt.
    P

Yes, I need to look at different strategies too Purple.

Wouldn’t mind a little bit of your rain for the garden. πŸ˜„

You are welcome to our rain! P 🌦🌧🌨🌩πŸŒͺ

Well done, Carolann! Morning all
    Half a pound down this morning, after a reasonably controlled but def not fast day – and after 2 weeks of no movement whatsoever following FDs., and gradual gain of 3lbs since the summer. Relieved to see movement: now mustn’t get complacent, but get rid of the other 2.5! Only things I can think of as explanation are – yes! – portion creep on NFDs, plus the last few weeks have been out of routine, frequently needing change of FDs to accommodate social engagements etc. I do find it difficult to change days, but haven’t actually skipped any – perhaps my body is more obsessive about routine than my brain is!
    Will keep the world informed!!
    And don’t anybody dare complain about being warm!

πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯🌩🌨πŸŒͺπŸŒ«β˜‚β˜”β˜ˆβ›ˆπŸŒ‘

I’ve no idea what some of those icons mean! They were meant to indicate hot, very wet and humid. I’d trade some snow. ..

I second Fast’s words about complaining about heat! Blooming freezing rain here! I also agree with portion creep. OH made Mimi’s lentil tikka Marsala yesterday, but his weighing was random, shall we say. I ate a largish portion and felt uncomfortable, then had three boxes to freeze.

OH is 74 today, old man. We’re going to the cinema then for a meal with a couple of friends. Nothing fancy, but he can have whiting, which he loves.

Sorry about your leaks, PVE.

Pol πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Ok, I’ll give you humid – I hate that, too. Here it’s windy, which I love, but also cold, wet, and – above all – grey.

At least this afternoons torrential downpour didn’t get inside. The work this morning paid off. My dear old house has some pretty wonky windows. They are great in dry weather ☺☺☺

Well it was white over here this morning, but wet snow, now melting under the freezing rain. I booked today off, to use a bit of leave, and in the hopes of some gardening weather! I’m more tempted to light the fire early and read a book!

Yesterday’s fast did the trick and dropped me back nicely. I’m hoping to consolidate with a light day today, but the weather screams ‘bowls of hot comfort food’….

Go for it, Happy – as long as the comfort food is healthy and the book sustains you — call it a destress day (we all know stress is bad for the waistline…)

Reading back my last post, a ‘duh’ moment: might the problem have been less the swapped FDs, more the social engagements? Many were at home, with my own cooking, but probably larger (less ‘mean’ looking!) portions; some were away matches, and although I tried to make good choices, it’s possible the odd refined carb slipped in…

I’d been wondering whether the surgeon had slipped some fat-gaining microbes into my gut; perhaps, all along, it wlas actually what I was slipping into the other end…

Fast,

Did you take antibiotics? That would knock your gut fauna for six…

I haven’t succumbed to the fire…yet. Cleaning, tidying, washing rugs first so that when OH gets home it will look like I’ve been busy πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‰

Hi Happy -yes, that could be it, though I did fill up on extra pre/pro-biotics, too. It could just have coincided with my low mood (less active, bad food choices) or possibly even that my gut is now working ore efficiently. But truthfully I strongly suspect portion creep – no excuses!

One bit of advice I was given after my first baby – if you’ve been too busy to do anything else, lay the table. Then at least it looks as if food is on its way! Have a lovely day

Fast, your comment about laying the table reminded me of a video I watched as part of a young mums group many many years ago. I was a first time mum, chronically tired and worn out and went along to this group where we watched a sort of doco of a group of other young mothers being interviewed about what it was like to be a new mum etc

I’ll always remember this very articulate young woman who said she didn’t get out of her dressing gown for months and one morning as her husband was going to work he handed her some money and said ‘I’m fed up with seeing you in that dressing gown all the time. Go and buy yourself something new’ . She said…’so I did, I went and bought a new dressing gown’. Lol

I’ve always loved that anecdote and think there’s a real moral to that story!

Lol – but….there’s a voice inside me screaming at that man…words like ‘share’, ‘two parents’, ‘housework’, ‘cooking’ ‘patronising’. etc. I guess we took for granted then stuff which would outrage us now! One of my memories is of hearing a suggestion at a similar group that ‘Dad’ could perhaps bring home a takeaway a couple of times a week. At the time that was so far removed from our budget that we could no more do it than fly! Taught me valuable lessons about checking assumptions and engaging brain before opening mouth..,

Oh yes definitely! The best part is that was what the wife thought also which is why she bought a new dres sing gown!

Viewing 50 posts - 8,751 through 8,800 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.