The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,601 through 8,650 (of 11,673 total)

• Hello everyone, how are we all? Pretty quiet lately, I thought I must have been locked out! πŸ˜„

Have finally identified my Achilles heel – wine😞

I drink very little – one glass on a Friday Saturday and Sunday and if I go out during the week for dinner (which isn’t often) I’ll have 2 glasses.

What I’ve noticed though is if I have more than one glass my self discipline goes completely out the window! I have an immediate sugar craving which lasts the whole of the next day and doesn’t disappear til FD done. Fortunately this seems to happen mainly on weekends so it’s only a day until FD. Great I’ve identified the problem now I just have to figure out how to control it!

Hi Carol
    How’s the kefir?
    How ghastly re wine! But I guess it’s good to recognise the issue.
    I just know I have to limit myself to 1 good sized glass at a sitting…but that could be one at lunch and one at dinner. Any more and I get tipsy and gain weight.
    My downfall is portion size so I find it easier to avoid breakfast on eating days to give me a head start.
    My weight had crept up a dash, so some extra skipped meals this week and I dropped a kg.
    Hope everyone else is swimming along fine. P 😊

Kefir is going great thanks Purple! Quite sour compared to the shop bought one. I checked ingredients of shop bought and they add flavour enhancers, doesn’t way what flavour. I find it pleasant enough on my breakfast though and it’s just so great to have a supply there when I need it!

Yes, bummer about the wine isn’t it because I don’t intend to give it up lol.

I’m glad your gremlins are happy Carol. The kefir taste can vary massively, depending on the milk (I love the creamy richness from full cream Jersey milk) and how long, and at what temperature, it ferments.
    Don’t you love the way almost nothing you buy is left unadulterated? They just can’t help themselves.
    It IS an acquired taste. You’ll grow to love it.
    Monday fast today. And I need it after a special friend’s dinner last night with a sugary dessert πŸ™„ P

Hi All,

I’m still alive! I had phone and broadband problems last week, managed to do a bit of reading but no posting.

I’ve nothing to report though!
    Holding steady in the mid 59s with one fast a week at the moment.
    Fed up of cold wet weather, badly in need of a bit of warm sunshine ☹️

And still waiting for my kefir grains to arrive. I have got a shop-bought supply, no idea if anything is added as I can’t read Polish!

An opportunity for further education? Or use google translate Happy 😊

Hello Everyone,
    I am still trying to get my head around maintenance.
    I had found 5:2 quite easy and was lucky not to have the plateaus and other horrible things some people suffer.
    But somehow, when it got to maintenance, I am playing all sorts of mind games and eating too much on non fast days. I’d prefer to eat normally on non fast days, and have slightly easier fasts on fast days.
    My latest strategy (ie starting today!) is to write up what I will eat through the day and stick to it.
    Wish me luck. And any tips welcome!

Welcome to the mindfield and long term experiment we call maintenance, CinqueπŸ˜‰
    It’s all trial, and lots of error, and mindfulness. Just when you think you’ve sussed it, something changes! Just keep aware of your weight/shape and tweek. Good luck. P ☺

Had a better idea! I googled it, and a well known supermarket helpfully tells me it’s just milk and live bacterial cultures and yeasts for kefir. Worryingly it says once open use within 12 hours! Since it’s only me drinking it I don’t really want two servings per day…or one at bedtime and the other first thing in the morning!

Hmmm…come in Mr Grumpy?

Thanks Purple. I had a good sensible eating day yesterday. Fast day today.
    Cheers everyone.

That’s ok, Number 5 😁😁

Hello

I’m happy to report that I’m still maintaining nicely and feeling good.

My knee and hamstring injury is still troubling me but feeling better – I’m back to doing all my yoga and pilates classes and will be restarting my aerobic class this week but will be careful not to undo all the good work towards recovery I have been doing with the support of a brilliant physiotherapist. I’m still unable to do high level fell walks but have managed some low level ones with only slight discomfort although I feel a bit sore for the next 2 days……

@carolannfud – wine does the same for me but I do enjoy a couple of glasses every now and then and am not prepared to give it up so will just have to work a bit harder to reduce the snacking that comes with it (snacking on savoury and not sweet is my downfall….)
    @purple Vegie Eater – Like you I avoid breakfast and follow a 16:8 WOL on my NFDs and find that this works better for me
    @happynow – great feeling to be holding steady isn’t it!
    @cinque – I find the following working for me – 1 FD is liquid fast – 2nd FD is around 400cals and NFDs are all 16:8 days but no calorie counting although I have reduced the amount of carbs I eat and use a smaller plate/bowl to serve my food in, thus reducing portion size!

“Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.”

Hi AT
    I’m glad your aches and pains are improving.
    Lots of us seem to have found the same way to maintenance. Your regime sounds pretty familiar, but I do have wine 5 days a week. It is all about balance 🍷🍷P πŸ™„

P – I have wine 3 or 4 days of the week too!!!! It is my one vice I’m not prepared to give up – I have compromised from drinking wine daily – definitely all about balance – cheers

I sat here for a couple of minutes thinking “Why am I being called number 5?” Lol, forgot my own username!

Fast day today. Half an hour til miso soup!

Best wishes everyone! From the fifth in a family of seven kids, one of five girls and someone who loves the sound of the Italian word for 5! How did you choose your username?

@cinque That’s so funny because I love the sound of number 5 in Italian. Such a pretty sound isn’t it?
    And to answer your question about how peeps chose their username… ‘Mimi’ is the name my grandkids call me, ‘go’ are the first 2 letters of my surname, and ‘girl’ was just a bit of fun.
    Happy fasting

Cinque, I always think of you as 5. After all, I drive a Fiat Cinquecento!! P πŸš—
    EDIT : mine was random…I love vegies and wear a lot of purple. ☺

Morning!

Well my username just described how I felt after intermittent fasting for a few months and losing my excess flab.

This is my first and only foray into online forums (as a poster). Given my time again I’d probably choose something more exotic!

Yep. Most of us seem to have not understood we’d be stuck with the same handle for years…a bit like marriage and children πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

My user name is dead boring, a combination of all my names. As you say Purple, I had no idea this was the name to be seen on the 5:2 website forever after. My first foray into online contributing and I had no idea lol!

Cinque, I kept a food diary for about 4 weeks trying to identify if there were particular foods that created a weight gain. Results were inconclusive but what the diary did give me was information about the calorie content of all my meals. From that I made a choice of meals that would keep me at or slightly above/below my TDEE on NFD. On the weekend all hell breaks loose πŸ˜„ It’s trial and error!

Those of you who do 16:8, does that mean you only have two meals a day, or two and a snack?

Ditto all round – 1st time forum-er, no clue, brain fog! Combined pun on the fact that I was learning to dance as well as learning to fast, and progress with both was variable!
    What would we all choose if starting again now?

I thought the thread had gone rather quiet, but I had stopped the notifications somehow.

I do 16:8, on two meals a day, breakfast at 1ish. I’m finding that I can basically eat whatever I want now. However, I’ve learned that I don’t want too much. Wine is fine, not every day, though and the occasional chocolate, too. The only things I don’t trust myself with are hot puddings, with custard.

Weighing every other day, I keep a close eye on weight, still well below target and not wanting to lose more. Who says ‘wriggle room’? Fast? Herm? It’s a great idea.

OH made Mimi’s tagine for guests on Sunday. It went down very well. I made a weight watchers chocolate bread and butter pudding for dessert,

Oh, my user name is from a family pet name when I was little.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

Pol, you obviously know something I don’t, and would like to. How to turn a chocolate B and B pudding into a ‘weight-watchers” one, please? My version involves Choc brioche, vintage thick cut marmalade, cream and about a million calories, so please tell! Thanks!

…and I’m clean out of wriggle room at the moment – still on target, but dead on – 4lbs up from the summer – and not really happy about the way the scales are creeping. I suspect it’s a combination of inactivity (weather, post-op recovery) and undisciplined NFDs, plus annual February blues tempting to extra carb consumption. Time for a change of season, please!

Fast, my favourite recipe for the pud is Delia’s, adapted with various breads. And better as left-overs. The WW recipe is from their recipe book, bought years ago from The Book People in school. It omits the cream and uses sugar substitute. Not bad.

Thanks Pol. I guess a version with wholemeal bread (no refined carbs), 90/100% chocolate (no sugar) and SS milk might be interesting…..or perhaps Nutella, on the grounds that the hazelnuts would counteract the sugar?? (Tho nb I have never actually bought or tasted Nutella, nor used extra sugar -apart from the marmalade! – in a B and B pud!)

Fast, that’s right. We only have wholemeal bread, anyway. And SSmilk. I didn’t cram the dish with the bread slices, either. Good quality dark chocolate. Made it a day early and put in fridge to chill. Easy-peasy!

Delia suggests making her revile two days early, mind! 🍲

Pol

I rather favour yours Fast, but minus the chocolate. ..not a fan of the brown stuff. I’m sitting higher this week too, but not worried. As long as I stay below 60 ☺☺

Lost a pound this week, in spite of the chocolate pudding! Daft typo escaped my eye – no surprise there. Delilah doesn’t have a ‘revile’. 😳
    I’ve just recorded this week’s weight on my chart, stuck on the fridge, and looked back at the start. 11.1+1/2! I was uncomfortable and joking about spare tyre bring bigger than bust. Why didn’t I do 5:2 as soon as daughter gave us Michael Mosley’s book, I don’t know. I suppose everyone has their crunch point, wake up call.

It has been much easier than I suspected.
    Pol πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Polly,

Are you sure Delilah doesn’t have a revile…?!
    Delia might not, but then she’s not a Welsh anthem πŸ˜€

Hello everyone, I had a reasonable (for me) sleep last night after one night of shocking insomnia and a second one minding my 2yo granddaughter in which she managed to wriggle half the night. I basically slipped off the ‘human’ scale and was pond scum for a couple of days. But I am back!

Thanks for sharing those userame origins, it is funny to have a whim as a label, but rather nice. I guess it has caught us forever at that moment of first logging in to 5:2 – 19 months ago for me! And 15 kgs ago.
    I might even choose Cinque again, if we all re-chose. After your car this time Purple! πŸ˜‰ Or maybe after Cinque Terre (I’d love to visit there!) http://improvephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/manarola-cinque-terre.jpg

I am going well (even through the pondscum phase) planning my meals to be delicious and healthy and exactly the amount I decide on, and then stop eating til the next meal. I think I will have to do that for the rest of my life, but that is okay!

Well Cinque, as we drove from Rome to Paris, Mr P would not turn off along that southern coast. Once on a motorway there is no deviation! I noticed Genoa through gaps in tunnels. We’ll take more time next Italian tour ☺☺
    Drizzling here this morning. 17 deg, but the pool is 25, so my morning swim was delightful.
    Glad you slept well and are back in the land of the living No 5. 😊 P

Oh, dear, typo after typo! I blame autocorrect! 😝😝😝.
    A motorway drive from Rome to Paris sounds like a nightmare, PVE. Were you limited on time? I’m also smiling ‘pond scum’. Good name, Cinque! That actually describes how I feel when I have a cold!

Lovely meal out last night, beetroot risotto with the leaves fried and crispy. Didn’t manage to to finish dessert, though.

Obliged to partake in wine this afternoon as Wales play Scotland!

Pol πŸ™‹πŸΌ

It was a great trip Polly, but we had not allowed enough time from Florence to Chamonix. That’s the problem with living on the other side of the world. It costs so much to get there, you try to squeeze the max out of your travel dollar.

I made 3 really tasty meals this weekend…(the weather is suitable for cooking again)
    Frday dinner: bbq barramundi with a salsa of roasted capsicum, capers, olives, onion, vinegar, oil and anchovies served on a bed of lettuce.
    Sat lunch (no breakfast): ham, fresh figs, fennel, lettuce, orange, rocket, roasted hazelnuts and an orange, oil and mustard dressing
    Sat dinner: brioche buns with mayo, homemade beetroot chutney, homemade pulled duck, black beans, rocket corn and chilli.
    Gosh we eat well, when we eat!!!! The way it should be. Nothing but the best. P

From the Pacific NW USA: today is a FD for me and I’m checking in with IF maintainers to establish a new normal for me. I’ve lost 89 lbs over the last 10 months (April 28, 2016 is my anniversary date) with 5:2, occasional b2b’s on 4:3 and LC/HF but I’ve been see-sawing away at the last 10 lbs of my goal for 2 months now. Maybe it’s time to call in some advise from long-timers??? I need a re-boot!

Hi B2tf (shorter)
    Many of us have found we need regular rebooting. A slight change of diet or practice. Some suggestions :
    Dramatically reduce your carbs short term
    Add an extra fast for a week or so
    Look at your non fast day eating patterns
    Skip breakfast every day for a while
    Eat well on the 5 days to make a significant difference between feast and famine

I could come up with others, but I’m in a shopping mall…must go..
    Over to others
    Cheers P

Hi all, and welcome to the maintainers thread, B2tf. We should be able to offer advice, but we are all still finding our way. After losing all I wanted to, and keeping it off for over two years, I’m really grumpy that two kgs have resurfaced and are refusing to budge. I will have to take more drastic measures πŸ™ . And there I was, thinking 5:2 for life would have all the answers.

The next batch of water kefir is bubbling gently. I didn’t put any on over the last week as we were away for the weekend, lovely weather, peaceful spot that we hadn’t been to before, boss’s cabin in Riversdale.

Keeping cool in a mall, P? It seems to be the regular escape.

No Barata. It’s been raining all week. I was just shopping for groceries and thought I’d answer before B2tf went to bed (US time).
    How are you going with the weight? I put on a significant amount of weight last week due to taking antibiotics, but it is falling off again thank goodness. Maintenance is definitely an ongoing job, but we’ll worth the effort. PπŸ˜†

Hi back to the future – great weight loss well done!
    I dropped a kg over a few days by omitting anything containing sugar eg fruit and any starchy carbs.

Barata, that’s not good news! Sometimes it’s just impossible to identify what’s going on with our bodies I find. I hope that 2kg drops off again soon! 😊

PS My kefir going well too 😊

B2F, P, Barata – I’m in exactly the same state – 2 years, 9 months maintaining, with the only concern how NOT to lose more weight, and suddenly, in the last 3months, 4lbs up!! Don’t know what’s going on, but definitely a reboot coming up.

Hi, al, especially b2tf. Nothing to add, except maybe be extra vigilant with weighing ingredients. Your weight loss has been amazing. My anniversary is 25th April, although I was aiming for 21lbs, a stone and a half. However, I seem to have settled with a further 5lbs loss. OH is in the same situation as you, and I know he’s tweaking things too much. He lost 3 stone, 40lbs.

PVE, my lovely neighbour, who was widowed last year, has flown to Australia for a month to stay with her youngest son. She’ll be happy if it’s not too hot, but she’d have hoped to escape the rain. Staying in Newcastle, NSW. Barata and PVE, you’re on the ball, so those gains will turns into losses, soon. 5:2 is a way of life not a diet.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Hi Poll
    Our 4 year anniversary is 24th April!
    Newcastle is only 1 1/2 north of us. And yes, it is cooler now, but raining. They have just done a rundown on the weather. This summer was the hottest on record. Many top temps broken. How sad that our govt thinks fossil fuel is a good idea! P πŸ˜‘

Hi Back2theF,

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! You didn’t hang around did you?!

I’m afraid I don’t have any words of wisdom re: your last 10lbs. I know other people have reported a struggle with their ‘last few lbs’ but I’m like Polly here and ended up going 8-10 lbs under my goal weight before I stopped losing.

I don’t know what you weigh now, or what your goal weight is, but if you’re a healthy weight now then perhaps this is where you’re supposed to be?! If you carry on with 5:2/ intermittent fasting, and don’t overeat on non-fast days, then intuitively you’d expect to lose more weight eventually.
    Have you reduced your TDEE as you’ve shrunk? Are you just eating too much on non-fast days for your new weight?
    Maybe try longer fasting periods (Jason Fung style)?

Hi B2tf,
    Congratulations on all the weight you have lost. What a happy anniversary it will be in April.
    I can’t think of much help except to say I found that when I had a lot to lose, that sort of seesawing still ended with weight loss. But at a lower weight that bit of over eating: adding an extra snack or eating another serving, makes a bigger difference. I’ve had to plan more, and keep to the plan more strictly, now than I did.
    Good luck and best wishes.

Hello everyone else. It is morning after fast day and I am about to have breakfast. Lovely.

Hello evreyone

Been busy over the past 2 weeks, I agreed to host the 31 Day March Challenge – amazingly time consuming in the early stages setting up a spreadsheet and inputting as people sign up and provide their details……will certainly keep me out of mischief!

Hello @cinque – Cinque Terre a lovely place in Italy, fond memories of a great holiday – nothing very exciting about my name – only my initials

Nice to see you here @back2thefuture – I’m still maintaining just below my target since beginning of December – @purple Vegie Eater and others gave some good advice – I can’t think of much else to add, I still do 2 FDs but one of them is a water fast and I follow 16:8 on my NFD and I use a smaller plate/bowl than my OH as I hate weighing food and counting calories but every now and then I do a reality check by counting calories for a full NFD to make sure that I haven’t started under estimating again !!! hope you find a way to get rid of those last pesky lbs you really want to lose!!

We have had a lot of rain here in Cumbria over the past week – On Sunday I was doing registration for a fell race – was so glad that I was sitting in the warmth of a pub with an open fire whilst doing that – the fell runners set off in pouring rain but it had eased right off by the time they returned!

My pesky knee and hamstring injury is definitely on the mend – slow but sure!! Had a great yoga class on Monday night and again this morning. Even restarted my light aerobic class last Thursday; although I was bit sore from that for a couple of days but all good today, so giving it a try again tomorrow!

Night

Hi to all the maintainers,

Just thought Id pop and say hi. Still going strong and still love riding my bike. Wish I could do it all the time but work gets in the way. I know that everyone has a different way of cracking the egg. All I can say is if its not working for you, you need to change something and see if it works. If you do the same thing over and over again then expect the same results over and over again. Pip pip, wishing everyone success.

Morning, all. Psyches are funny; I’ve been a bit concerned that I’m continuing to lose weight and have amended my original target. Today, charting for the week, ive put on a pound and a quarter and am feeling a bit miffed!

It was that week where I have grumpies lunch and dining club dinner on the same day, though. I did make sensible choices, in so far as I could.

AT, we’ve have a similar amount of rain here in Nkrth Wales. But I opened the curtains to bright sunshine this morning. Have bunged a load of tea-towels on a hot wash. Oddly, I can’t justify tumble drying them.

Hope everyone is ticking over .

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Ticking over just about sums it up, Pol. After the major disappointment with the new regime (24-hr fasting combined with BSD) that failed spectacularly, I’m not quite back on bog-standard 5:2 but just being generally careful and sticking to 16/8 with the occasional 18/6. The scales go up and down by several hundred grams from day to day but the general trend is downwards and I guess I’ve lost around 800g in the last two weeks. Still a long way to go, though.

Work, thankfully, is going well. The current project, translating from German a book on the history of graphic design, is relatively easy and quite interesting, with a very appreciative editor and an author who hasn’t complained (at least so far), both of which are quite rare commodities. And I do love clients who pay up on time and even well ahead of schedule as happened with the first batch of text I submitted.

What is proving to be a pain in the neck (understatement of the year!!) is the proposed move to Cambridge. After two attempts to purchase something much nearer home (one where the vendor started playing silly buggers, another where the survey revealed several nasties) a house we really loved, set in a lovely green area within Cambridge’s city limits with a very cooperative vendor, fell through when our equity release provider refused to consider it because it was built on a steel frame. For some reason, these guys won’t touch such structures with a barge pole.

Since then, the search has continued, mainly focusing on villages outside the city but with good public transport connections as I don’t drive. I did learn and passed the test at only the second attempt but I just hated being behind the wheel. Lack of spacial awareness, failure to notice things like cyclists, pedestrians and cars coming the other way, etc., etc are not ideal qualifications.

Because the purchase is taking so long, we’re afraid we’ll lose our buyer. So far, he and his partner have been very patient and they have nothing to sell, but we can’t expect them to wait for ever.

Oooh, house moving! Horrible! Hope things work out, Herm.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,601 through 8,650 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.