The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,551 through 8,600 (of 11,673 total)

• Polly, love tagines and particularly the sweet/savoury mix. Sorry Happy your OH doesn’t like, because for me it’s the best part.

BTW HAppy I don’t drink the kefir, I add it to my breakfast in roughly the same amount as I would Greek yoghurt. As Purple says it’s thick and runny so it’s def different to the Greek but adds a yummy flavour.

So excited, I’ll soon be making my own! Thanks Purple! 😊

Hi P, thanks, it was smooth and creamy, just some slightly thicker and some thinner. Natural settling in the bottleI guess, a vigorous stir/ shake would have sorted it but I wasn’t sure whether the bacteria liked it rough!

I can report no repeat of light turning itself on. Phew. Funnily enough though, after a few nights on high alert/ sleepless (unusual for me as OH travels with work a lot), he returned in the early hours Saturday morning and managed not to disturb me! The only night this week when there was actually someone else in the hose moving around in the night…and I slept like a baby! I guess my subconscious knew it was OH? But then why is it when he’s at home he manages to disturb me so many times?!!

One of those unfathomable mysteries of life, I guess. 😊😊

That should of course of been “someone else in the house”, I’m not that precious about tights/ stockings/ flexible pipes!

Didn’t even see that typo 😁😁😁
    Had to use up some ingredients this morning, you understand, so Italian baked eggs for brunch. ..yummo…before the predicted 42deg later πŸ˜‘

The sourdough loaf is now set to rise. I made it very wet, really too sticky to knead properly, hoping it’s okay for bubbles to get through. The sponge bubbled nicely this time.

Now for the kefir. I have bought the water grains, appropriate jar and bottle, but couldn’t find a plastic sieve anywhere – it will have to tolerate the metal! Water will be more acceptable to OH and son, and I can continue to use Greek yoghurt on my muesli (plus, water is all I could find πŸ™‚ )

I’ll be interested how the water kefir goes Barata.
    What’s this about red hairπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

See me on FB πŸ™‚

How sticky should the dough be, P? I did make it successfully last year, but just need to get back to the correct texture.

Well….theoretically if it is on the wetter side the delicate sourdough bubbles have a greater chance of rising, but don’t ask me this week….the loaf I made barely rose!!! Could have been not very fresh flour πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘ or the very hot humid weather?
    I mix it with the dough hook in the Kenwood for 10 minutes as I make it on the tacky side, so it is easier than hand kneading. Mr P loves it, even if it is heavy enough to be a doorstop ☺☺

The sourdough is sitting on the bench, rising gently. I think I will put it in the hot-water cupboard tonight, not having the benefit of Sydney temperatures. Have just Skyped with our daughter, they were hanging icebags around them! No AC in their flat.

It’s not just the creeping kilograms that are bugging me. I am also getting pain from the arthritis in my hands, having been pain-free for a couple of years. The swelling had remained, but 5:2 eliminated the pain completely. So I have no idea what is happening. I’d blame the lack of summer, but we have had a couple of nice days in a row!

No aircon here either…sweltering!
    If it’s any consolidation, Barata, my arthritis is playing up too. I blame the humidity in Feb. We ain’t getting any younger, girl ☺☺☺

Hm, but what can I blame? No humidity here to speak of. So old age, P? More fermented juice lubricant required!

I’ll join you 🍷🍷

{{{{ πŸ™‚ }}}}

Whoops! Who pretends to be a bit of a classical music buff and doesn’t know her Shostakovich from her Stravinsky?(See post a few days back) It will be the music of the latter – including the amazing Firebird, which I’m pretty sure persuaded my handsome young rellie that the LSO concert would be the high spot of a great day out with yours truly. Strav is on the A-level music syllabus and he’s been highly impressed with what he’s heard and studied.

It was a performance of Firebird by the Vienna Phil that made me understand why kids went mad and trashed cinemas and theatres when they first heard rock’n’roll. The Festival Hall went silent before the audience – me and Himself included – were on their feet jumping up and down cheering. Although we don’t have the same taste in books, cinema, we agree on most kinds of music – apart from what he calls “girlie”, e.g. Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, and my favourite Carly Simon.

Keeping well here on maintainance – staying just below target weight – Yay!

My left knee seems to be slowly improving, some days feels much better than others, enjoying yoga and pilates with some modifications but still not able to go fell walking……….

Went to see a recorded version of Swan Lake by the Bolshoi recently – In the dual role of white swan Odette and her rival black swan Odile was prima ballerina Svetlana Zakharova who exuded both vulnerability and cunning through superb technical mastery – she was such a joy to watch and alongside her as the powerful and emotional Siegfried was Denis Rodkin – there was 4 of us who went and we all loved it.

Seeing Woolf Works – Live from The Royal Opera House tonight – it will be a real contrast – Virginia Woolf is the inspiration for choreographer Wayne McGregor’s brilliant triptych for The Royal Ballet and in this critically acclaimed work he combines themes from three of Woolf’s landmark novels – Mrs Dalloway, Orlando and The Waves.

@hermajtomomi – you made me laugh with your last post

@barata and @purple Vegie Eater – you are ladies after my own heart – I enjoy a glass or two of wine r3 or 4 times a week – it is my one treat I’m not prepared to compromise on and it’s wonderful that this WOL allows me to indulge and still maintain……..

Cheers to all

AT – something else to make you laugh. Purple and any other small ladies among us might identify with this quote from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which I only recently discovered:

“… though she be but little, she is fierce.” No, the Bard wasn’t actually referring to me. I’m not THAT b***dy old! Nevertheless, I’m considering having it as a logo on a T-shirt.

BTW I assume the opera and ballet you are watching is live-streamed (or recorded) to your local cinema. Such a wonderful way to view performances. It’s just like having the best seat in the house at about a quarter of the price. We recently went to watch Harold Pinter’s No Man’s Land starring Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. Almost indescribably brilliant.

Hi, everyone. Maintenance going ok, in spite of wolfing the leftover tagine on day 2. There was enough to freeze another portion. Still the uncomfortable night’s sleep taught me a lesson. Enough wine imbibed on a rugby weekend, too, of course.

We’re big fans of live theatre links! After being less than impressed with the new Royal Shakespeare Theatre and it costing us a fortune for tickets and and overnight stay, the live link at our little cinema is both cheaper and easier to hear, let alone seeing far more.

Herm my daughter has already claimed ‘tho’ she is little, she is fierce’, just scraping 5′! You, like my OH and most of my friends, would despair of me! I cannot stand concerts or any form of dance! I do like classical music, but I’d have to take my knitting. I must be the only person honest enough to admit boredom at Liverpool Phil’s Messiah! But give me an opera………..!

I don’t like No Man’s Land much, but I’m sure McKellen and Stewart would make me rethink. We saw him in Waiting for Godot – superb!

Good news about your knee, AT
    Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

No problem Pol. Each to his own. I have problems with whole operas. Dance, it depends what sort. I like modern rather than classical ballet, finding Swan Lake a bit soppy, apart from Matthew Bourne’s very sexy version. I love flamenco – but can well do without the singing. What most floats my boat is straight theatre, along with good musicals, not necessarily blockbusters.

As a kid I really wanted to apply to drama school but the County High told me fat little girls with glasses and terrible voices would never be accepted, and by the way I should consult a doctor about my throat. I guess the “booze, fags and just-had-a-riotous-night-in-the-sack” voice coming from a little fatty-four-eyes must have been a bit disconcerting, although it was mean of them not even to allow me to read the lesson at morning assembly. However, I did get my chance at uni and my college references include some very gratifying words about my drama activities.

‘Booze, fags and riotous night in the sack ‘ voice – fine, if one has enjoyed all those things; no justice, if not. Good reason to spend a disgraceful old age catching up – though perhaps without the fags…And fat little girls with glasses are all over everywhere now, so what price your teachers’ advice? Still, art’s loss is translation’s gain….

…and just home from supper with jazz at our local community cafe bar. Good jazz, lovely buzz from the assembled company, scrummy shepherds pie with sweet potato topping, brocolli and kale, and even scrummier flourless chocolate torte,, and half a pint (or so it seemed) of ice-cold Hendricks gin,with tonic and cucumber. Worth going out in the cold for, after all!

Fear not, Fast. I used to smoke although the ciggies spent much more time being waved about in the air than between the lips, but the last one was smoked on 28 April 2002.

Nor do I drink. Sadly the loss of fags made my favourite tipples – red wine and G&T – taste revolting. It’s supposed to be the other way round but sadly not in my case.

As for what used to be called “the other”, while at 14 I had, as Dylan Thomas puts it “never been sweet in the grass, ho! ho!” let’s say I’ve been around the block a few times since then.

As for your night out, good jazz (modern or trad?), shepherd’s pie with lovely green stuff and chocolate torte – it doesn’t get much better than that.

Very happy to report I have kefir grains bubbling away in milk on my kitchen bench!

Thankyou so much for your generosity Purple!

πŸ˜„

You are most welcome Carol. Enjoy you new houseguests.
    I hope you survived the heat and blackout yesterday.
    Thursday fast going well here. P 😊

Morning, all. That night out sounds good, Fast. I like trad jazz, but not keen on modern plink plonk, though. The gin sounds very good.

Herm, did you put weight on when you stopped smoking? That certainly happened to my OH. He’s doing well now, bought cords from Marks outlet this week – 40″, slim fit! I bought some linen crops for Β£5, size 10! Yippee. We’re going to Thailand on 12 April. Not many of my summer clothes will fit.

Good work on the Kefir, Carol.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

Definitely trad, Pol. Well done on the summer clothes not fitting: financially problematic but oh, such a joyful achievement! Enjoy Thailand.

Hi Pol, Well done, with your size 10 and Mr Pol with his new slim-fit trousers!

In answer to your question I didn’t put weight on when I stopped smoking, but I did find it impossible to lose any, however careful I was. Same applied to the menopause, fairly early at 46. One month I had a period, next month I didn’t. End of. I wouldn’t know a hot flush if one bit me on the bum. But weight loss? No way, although I hadn’t yet achieved the same porker-dom that I did later. Story of my life really, until 5:2 came along.

I’m still delighted with the effect of this WOE on BP, vision and all-round well-being, but not really happy on the weight front right now. In the hope of shedding 5 or 6 more kilos to get to BMI 25, I changed strategy a month ago today to 24-hour fasting twice or three times a week, plus Blood Sugar Diet, i.e. 800 cal max on fast days and watching sugar and refined carbs rather than fats all the time. Guess what. I’ve REGAINED 3 kilos and am back to the fatso zone with BMI 28. πŸ™ I had managed to hit 27, i.e. well within what used to be considered a desirable measurement before the medical establishment and Big Pharma moved the goal posts. Could it be for me the only way is all-round calorie restriction? Or resignedly saying to myself: “You’re a natural-born fatty. Get over it!”?

Having had my nose to the grindstone with a massive translation project which I’m doing solo, I haven’t got out and about as much as I should over the past few weeks. However, if the esteemed Dr Fung is correct, exercise is crucial to fitness but isn’t a lot of help in losing weight.

Hooray for trad, Fast! When all my peers were into rock’n’roll, I was a definite traddy. Still am, although the odd bit of Miles Davies and Dave Brubeck still has shelf-room among the CD collection.

I wore the uniform – the man’s pullover, straight back skirt, man’s duffle coat, white lipstick, masses of black eye-liner, and a copy of the New Statesman tucked very visibly under one arm. I wanted hang out in some smoky cellar on the Left Bank and be chatted up by Albert Camus, to whom I wouldn’t have said “Non”, although that would have been asking for trouble as he was famously a very naughty boy when it came to ladies. I wanted to look like Juliette Greco. Still do. She’s still drop-dead gorgeous at 80-something.

Went to see “Woolf Works” – Live telecast from ROH last night – Virginia Woolf is the inspiration for choreographer Wayne McGregor’s brilliant triptych for The Royal Ballet and in this critically acclaimed work he combines themes from three of Woolf’s landmark novels.
    I loved “I now I then”based on Mrs Dalloway with the wonderful Alessandra Ferri, still dancing so expressively at 53! “Becomings”based on Orlando was my least favourite of the three! “Tuesday” based on The Waves was beautiful and lyrical

@hermajtomomi – Brilliant – get that T-shirt! Yes the ballets are live streamed at our local cinema as are Operas and Plays – saw Terence Rattigan’s “The Deep Blue Sea” with Helen McCrory not too long ago and it was brilliant! and yes @pollypenny – definitely cheaper, easier to hear and seeing far more and such a wide variety offered from venues across the globe……Great news on your recent shopping trip and the new size 10s – Yay!

@fastfastslow – sounds like a good night – I love Jazz as well – I go to live concerts when the opportunity arises

Maintaining nicely here – staying with this WOL definitely – feeling so good on it!

Hermaj you must have been disappointed with those results after so much hard work for the month 😞

Is your weight really that important to you? If youve had such positive benefits on your health from 5:2 could you be satisfied with that?

Jason raises some interesting points in his book ‘Obesity Code’ which scared the pants off me, namely:
    The longer youve been overweight the harder it is to lose
    We have a set weight
    Severe calorie restriction doesn’t work
    Severe calorie restriction can lead to weight gain because your body starts to compensate for the lack of calories

BTW, I can’t talk, my life is ruled by what those damm scales say every morning!!

I’ve had a weird week – eaten very healthy, probably lower than TDEE a couple of days and I’ve been 300g above trigger for most of the week. I haven’t even got to my bingey weekend yet Lol!

We’re a complex mob!

Thanks, Carol and Herm: sharing our vulnerabilities on here is as important a part of encouraging one another as sharing successes. And herm, Carol’s right: you’re a damn sight healthier than lots of us with BMI well below yours, which is what this is really all about. Basic body type we’re stuck with – can’t turn a Shetland pony into a racehorse (or vice versa!) however hard you try – but each can be a superb specimen of its breed, and both are gorgeous!

Nicely put Fast 😊😊

Such kind words, Carol, and I think you have a point.

I know I identify strongly with Jason’s take on the whole obesity thing – born fat, brought up fat by fat parents, struggled with weight all my life, although, strangely, each time I’ve lived and worked in mainland Europe I’ve lost a lot of it, once even to a “look good in a bikini” level, but put it all back on within a month of returning to the UK.

I’m sure JF is right about a set weight, which is no doubt the reason why it’s taken me 4 years to lose what is now 16 kilos – it was 19 until this week πŸ™ – with only 1.5 kilos lost in the whole of one of those years.

At the risk of seeming to brag, I rather like what I see in the mirror these days, i.e. no longer an obvious fatty whose big blue eyes disappear amid the facial blubber, and I love the way the change is noticed and applauded by friends and family whose opinion I value.

Nevertheless, according to many of the health Nazis – including many GPs – I’m endangering my life by carrying the extra weight. So much so that, like many overweight people, I hesitate to go to the quack for fear of another lecture about eating stuff I haven’t touched in years. Fortunately, such is my state of health that I rarely need to darken their doors. I’ve never been seriously ill, never been hosiptalised, never broken a limb and still have most of my own teeth despite dental phobia. I must have been doing something right.

I guess I could accept not losing any more, but the thought of regaining the whole lot scares the hell out of me.

Fast, your lovely post appeared while I was still whingeing to Carol. Thank you. I love the racehorse-Shetland pony analogy.

Lovely chilly day in Cumbria

@hermajtomomi you must have been writing your post whilst I was doing mine – I can sympathise with you regarding weight not moving in the right direction, it is very frustrating!!
    Last year having dropped from 69.8kg at the beginning of January, I then plateaued at around 58kg from the end of May and by the end of October I had gone up to 59.5kg!
    I then discovered the November Challenge and joined – the support of the group and the advice given so generously got me to my target weight of 55kg by the beginning of December.
    I experimented with doing B2B 500cal FDs, 16:8 on my NFDs, water only FDs – I did not increase my exercise levels as I was already doing 2 x yoga classes, 1 x pilates and 1 x gentle aerobic class on top of fell walking 2 or 3 times a week. Since then I have been maintaining between just under 55kg and just above 54kg – I still do 2 x FDs each week and 16:8 NFDs -I weigh weekly after my 2nd FD for consistency.
    YOU CAN DO THIS! Experiment with what works for you – you have all the knowledge already. Remember “Even if you can’t physically see the results in front of you, every single effort is changing your body from the inside. Never get discouraged.”

As @fastfastslow says sharing your vulnerabilities helps all of us so Thank You

I had to miss out on my regular Friday walk with my group – we were meeting in Grange-over-Sands for a bit of a change. We had a blocked drain and I had to wait for United Utilities to come and sort it out!! They arrived at 0930hrs after a courtesy call telling me when they were arriving! A charming chap and a lovely young woman arrived and sorted out the problem leaving everything clean as well – I made them some coffee and biscuits to keep them warm and they were very appreciative – Great Service. Hence me having free time to catch up on the forum. Silver lining and all that comes to mind.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday leading into this cold and wintry weekend…….if the weather forecast has got it right……..

I appreciate your encouragement, AT, but at the moment I’m wondering if I can be bothered to even try. It doesn’t seem to make any difference whether I observe all the rules or not. I can push the boat out and eat a lot, and not put on an ounce. I can also do the strict fasting and very careful non-fasting and put on 3 kilos. So what’s the point? As you will have guessed I’m mega-pissed off with life at the moment, especially as there a couple of other stressful things happening right now, which I won’t bore you all with.

I feel like forgetting all about fasting, at least for now. In any case, my natural inclination is to do 16:8 or even 18:6 as I can’t face food in the morning and lunch has to be very light and carb-free unless I want to feel sick and bloated for the rest of the day. There is also a sort of safeguard in as much as I simply can’t eat vast quantities, especially carbs.

So maybe I’ll get off the wagon and walk alongside for a while.

Ah! Jason also says stress is a culprit!

How much more do you want to lose hermaj?

Sounds to me like you eat very healthy and are very mindful of what you eat. Don’t weigh for a while if you feel like chucking it in but maintain your healthy eating. Give yourself permission to have a break (and once you’ve given yourself permission you’ll probably find you don’t want to πŸ˜„)

And I’m intrigued as to what was different in Europe compared to UK? Sunshine? Stress? Different work? Different food?

Hi Herm
    Doing 18:6/ low carb isn’t getting off the wagon! It is a wise maintenance tactic. You have been eating mindfully now for long enough for this strategy to keep you on the straight and narrow. Listen to your body. Be kind to yourself. Put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before helping others.
    We are all here with you. P πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Hermaj,

Sorry to hear it’s not going well for you right now. Sounds like the recent experiment hasn’t worked, but rather than jack fasting in entirely why not revert to what you were doing when you were maintaining (but not losing)? You don’t want to gain more, well you know what you were doing on the plateau was keeping you on the plateau!

Hermaj, I can sympathise with your position, albeit to a lesser extent. I have been, with 5:2, hovering between 58 and 59 kgs for nearly two years. But in the last two or three months that has gone up to over 60. And the only thing I have done differently? Several days a week of 16/8, no ice cream except for treats, no juice in the mornings, almost no breads. So I am putting it down to the stress of the last few months (work and personal), will plod on and hope for improvements in due course. I also plan a longer fast in a couple of weeks, and will try fat-only between FDs next week, to see if I can budge the bulge.

I made water kefir last week, and it worked well. Water grains are the only ones I could find. For my first attempt I didn’t do the second fermentation with fruit or spices, will try that this time – lemon on hand. It resulted in a pleasant, slightly sweet drink, no bubbles or any sign of fermentation so it’s difficult to know whether it will actually do any good.

And I picked up my new glasses this morning, and suddenly the world is clear, clean and sparkling bright – wonderful. πŸ™‚ No doubt I took far too long to take get them upgraded.

Thank you all for your sympathy and kind words. Please be assured that getting off the wagon doesn’t mean reverting to bad old ways, although in truth even pre-5:2 I was already eating healthily, albeit to no avail. The fasting was the clincher, along with more careful portion control. Even so, I despaired as fellow fasters saw the weight dropping off while I just plateaued, time after time. My own explanation was that not having had to switch from stuff loaded with fat and sugar to lean protein and all things leafy, a routine I was already observing, any weight loss would be less dramatic.

P, I don’t think I’ll ever come off the straight and narrow. As I’ve found to my cost, overdoing things always ends in tears, or at least in an extremely queasy, bloated tum and even having to go back to bed for the day. And observing 16/8 or 18/6 is my instinctive way of eating. Perhaps all I need to do is stay away from the scales for a while, although it will require even more self-discipline than resisting the naughty stuff does.

Happy, what I was doing while maintaining but not losing was the bog-standard two fast days and five normal but fairly careful days a week. Of course there was the occasional break, e.g. on holiday, when I might put a bit back on but get rid of it within a week or two. In other words, the best I’ve been able to do is maintain – at some 5-6 kilos above target – rather than lose.

Carol, I’m not sure if I can explain how I slimmed down while on the Continent. Sun? Not really, although there was sun in the South of France – which is where I really learned to cook and automatically follow a Mediterranean diet. There was also sun on the east coast of Spain, where to be honest I didn’t much like the food (served in humungous portions BTW), but there was also a hell of lot of stress. It was cold and wet for much of the time in north-west Spain, where they also eat a lot, but I was holding down two jobs and living it up in my free time. In Switzerland I did some serious slimming, along with a lot of walking and swimming while also working quite hard teaching my lovely Japanese pupils. I also got a very public telling-off at one slimming club for taking four weeks to lose 100 grams. The Nazi who ran the club accused me of lying and cheating and told me I must resign myself to eating nothing but salads (with no dressing) for the rest of my life. So not losing weight when I really deserved to is nothing new.

@hermajtomomi – Hugs and lots of positive vibes coming your way x

Thanks, AT. You’re a pal. πŸ™‚

OK, time for the annual update. 4 years in and still 5:2ing. Slightly heavier most of the last year than I’d like to have been but then I’ve had to cope with redundancy, a new job, both parents-in-law dying, the hacking cough virus for 5 weeks and double knee surgery (for a third time) just 1 week ago. As a result I haven’t exercised as much as I’ve wanted to, but once the knees recover hopefully I can get back to being a bit more active again. Ideally I’d like to be 78.6kg, but I’ve averaged 80.6kg in the last year, ranging from 77.8 – 82.8kg. Similarly, I’d like my BMI to be 22.5, but I’ve averaged 23.1, ranging from 22.2 – 23.7. (My starting point was 94.3kg and 27.0 BMI.)

Still eating the same two menus on my 2 non-consecutive fast days, still not counting calories on any other days and still not fasting on holidays. Keeping it simple and consistent largely seems to work for me.

Well done to you – after the year you’ve had you could be forgiven for declining into couch potatodom and weight gain. Those extra 2kg will soon go, I’m sure, once you start to get active again. Congratulations!

I’ve taken the time to ponder further Happy’s advice to consider what I was doing in order to maintain but not lose, and by extension to try to work out what went wrong with the new regime of 24-hour fasts combined with the BSD diet.

I did take on board and intend to stick to the careful supervision of sugar and refined carb intake, which can only be a good thing.

The answer may lie in one word. Fat! While the conventional 5:2 allows only around 500cal on FD and care on NFDs, which means not exceeding one’s TDEE (counted in calories) and hence keeping an eye one’s fat intake, the BSD is more relaxed about fats. This specifically applies to “good” ones like olive oil, butter, coconut and rapeseed oil, as well as favourites like oily fish, avocado and dairy products (which I have to limit anyway due to lactose intolerance). I assume the higher FD allowance is set at 800cal in order to accommodate the additional calories contained in all of the above.

While I didn’t exactly go mad with the fats, I did use them as specified in the dishes I took from the relevant recipe books. Maybe the problem is that my metabolically-challenged body sees a nice helping of fat coming and decides to hang onto it, thereby piling the weight back on.

That’s what I meant about calorie restriction, i.e. going back (very sadly) to limiting the fat intake but NOT, repeat NOT being conned into using low-fat versions of stuff containing rather too much sugar to compensate.

I’m now pretty well resigned to not losing much more, but merely getting shot of the 3 kilos that crept up on me during the (failed) experiment with a new regime, and then sticking there.

Herm, you may find that after your ‘mini-break’ your body will think it’s starting 5:2 for the first time, and be kicked into losing weight again – let’s hope so. And I suspect you’re right about the fat – on both counts. No ‘low fat’, high sugar rubbish, but yes, the extra calories do need to be accounted for. As a colleague used to say: ‘entropy will get you in the end!’

As Him of Stratford-on-Avon put it, “…a consummation devoutly to be wished”, Fast.

But I’m not holding my breath. This Shetland pony bod of mine is a law unto itself. It might do as you suggest and start on the downward track. On the other hand it might stay at the same weight for the next year, however hard I try. It already had one year in which only 1.5 kilos were lost.

For now, I’m going to rely on a 16/8 and sometimes 18/6 routine, with which I’m quite comfortable and which can do no harm. If I’m perfectly honest, in this freezing cold, chilled-to-the-bone weather I find a 500 or even 600 cal FD very, very difficult to stick to. In fact I find the prospect genuinely depressing.

Conundrum HermπŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
    I know, with me, I can basically maintain eating 18:6 and mindfully, but, without at least 600 cal fasts, my weight slowly creeps up a kg or 2. After all these years, and especially in the cold, it IS challenging to submit to a 400 cal fast when it doesn’t seem to show up on the scales. All I can suggest is thinking of the stricter fasts as a mental challenge. I hope the unseen health benefits are there, but I do find the biggest spinoff is the proud glow I get from still being able to do 24 hours food free, followed by a low cal, low carb dinner and, no matter how sleepless and hungry I am, having nothing again until some time in the morning. Character building 😊
    I very rarely get dramatic drops in weight from fasts any more, but I know they are the only way to stop a very gradual upward climb.
    Monday fast for me now. Lots of appointments and activities planned to keep me away from food.
    We are all different, both in body and mind. The challenge is to find what works for you, and hope the goalposts don’t move. P ☺☺

P, if there was a like button I would just’ve πŸ‘ your post πŸ˜€

Viewing 50 posts - 8,551 through 8,600 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.