The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,451 through 7,500 (of 11,673 total)

• Happynow and big booty, your advice is good, thanks. I will probably weigh daily, although my daughter will scorn that.

I have eased a little already, having shared a bottle of wine with my cousin on Wednesday. My husband still has a way to go, but he’s looking much better and is gaining his old confidence back. I don’t think we can ever go back to three meals a day, though. I’m never hungry in the morning, two coffees do me.

Not sure where posters live, but I’m in North Wales. I post on Martin Lewis’ site, where there is a thanks button. I wish this forum had one.

Hi Polly,

Re: your daughter and daily weighing… You might be interested in this link! Studies suggest vigilance and regular monitoring are important to long term maintenance.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/11/how-often-should-i-weigh-myself

Hi Pollypenny, I replied to your post but seems it’s gone into cyber space!

I have been doing 6:1 for about a year. I weigh every day. I have lost a little more than my target weight now but I don’t worry about it. I find I can go a kg up over the weekend quite easily when I eat and drink very differently to what I do during the week.

If I were just using weight as a guide most weeks I don’t even need to fast but I continue because of the health benefits.

I’ve always been pretty healthy, am in my mid sixties, no medication. My cholesterol has always been low to average but HDL and LDL levels could have been better.

I had my annual checkup about a month ago and first time ever the ratio between HDL and LDL had changed for the better. So happy, and I put that down 100% to the fasting.

Don’t agree with your daughter and neither does the research. Daily weighing is essential to keep track of your weight and keep you vigilant.

Best of luck!

You learn something new every day…

I’ve never been quite sure whether being described as “feisty” is a good thing. It’s a term often applied to women of a certain age who are not afraid to call a spade an expletive-deleted shovel. The following quote for the Online Etymology Dictionary settles the matter.

‘1896, “aggressive, exuberant, touchy,” American English, with -y (2) + feist “small dog,” earlier fice, fist (American English, 1805); short for fysting curre “stinking cur,” attested from 1520s, with present participle of now-obsolete Middle English fysten, fisten “break wind” (mid-15c.), from Proto-Germanic *fistiz “a fart,” said to be from PIE *pezd- (see fart), but there are difficulties.

‘The 1811 slang dictionary defines fice as “a small windy escape backwards, more obvious to the nose than ears; frequently by old ladies charged on their lap-dogs.” Compare also Danish fise “to blow, to fart,” and obsolete English aske-fise, “fire-tender,” literally “ash-blower” (early 15c.), from an unrecorded Norse source, used in Middle English for a kind of bellows, but originally “a term of reproach among northern nations for an unwarlike fellow who stayed at home in the chimney corner” [OED].

I still prefer “feisty” to “spritely” which suggests an ageing airhead.

Hi Herm
    I was described as “ebullient”, in a report by a boss years ago. I was quite insulted, but now see it as a positive. I think fiesty just means willing to express an opinion strongly. I’d rather by that than “beige”! πŸ˜‰ P

Too true! Avoid like the proverbial plague: beige, crumple me and elastic aged waistbands. All calculated to turn us into mushrooms.

Nb ‘crumple me’ equals crimplene. Appropriate!

I thought you were referring to your lack of wrinkles, Fast πŸ€—

Haha, wonderful fasters. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

I don’t think I can label myself a Maintainer any more. Have been 5-6 kg above desired weight for months now, and am just losing and gaining at regular intervals. Sobering and all my own doing. 🌺🌺

I totally support weighing each day so that I cannot fool myself. Am fasting today after life got in the way on Wednesday and Thursday. I have complete faith that I will lose the weight, but seem to not be motivated to do it just yet!

Meanwhile I am enjoying the posts on JoJo’s thread, and this one and lurking outside the SH thread. Crumple is definitely resonating with me. 😎😎

Spring has sprung here with loads of lavenders, violas, camellias, prunus, ranunculus, and a glorious blue Rosemary bush. The climate this year must have suited camellias in particular. Between our pink and red ones, and the neighbours deep red and variegated camellias, we have a wonderful display. Hellebores are out in all colours from cream to pink to purple, and the deepest purple violets for many a year. Must be the extra water in the growing season. 🌷🌷🌺🌺

All the best to you. Bay πŸπŸβ˜•οΈβ˜•οΈπŸ˜³πŸ˜³

Hi Bay
    There is certainly joy in spring plants popping out everywhere. Inspired by Boston street plantings last spring, I have masses of potted flowers on my deck. Gorgeous.
    Bay, you are definitely still a maintainer, just at your winter weight instead. πŸ™„ Hang around, we all still need support…life long, I suspect. Cheers P

And now the first blossoms on the apricot trees are out. 🌺🌺 The bees are in the lavenders and I’m hoping they will produce lots of apricots around Christmas.

Just beginning to plan significant joint birthday celebration for two months time. Have already done lots of bucket list travel in anticipation. Another incentive to lose the weight. Six weeks at 1kg a week should see it all done. As we have discussed at other times, this means no white food at all for those six weeks, and a severe reduction in fermented grape juice. 😳😳

Cheers, Bay πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜œπŸ˜œ

Thanks, Purple, you should definitely take ebullient in a positive way, no matter what the namer meant at the time. Bay πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

Are you and Mr B about to turn 21? πŸ˜‰
    She DID recommend me for permanent status, so she saw ebullient as beneficial 😊

As I sit looking out into our back garden I can see wattle trees over the back fence in glorious yellow blossom. We are so lucky. Yesterday a flock of beautiful green and red rosellas settled in the grass over the road to dig for insects and seeds. They are wonderful to look at, and so clever in that there are always at least a pair of the birds on the lookout for predators or other problems. We also have cockatoos in large noisy groups, and chortling magpies to listen to. So,lucky. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

The beauty of the world makes any troubles pale into the distance. It is certainly a gorgeous world. P 🌺🌸🌹⚘🌱

Sorry Purple, but we cross posts all the time. 🌺🌺
    While not being willing to put exact dates online, if I say that my mother is about to turn 95 and that her mother was 92.5 when she died, then you can assume that I am very happy with my genetic inheritance. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Just need to get my sugar consumption under control. Bay β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ

Good genetics indeed Bay! My dad turned 94 2 weeks ago. Mum didn’t do quite as well having a stroke in her early eighties and passing away a few years later. Still, I’m not nervous lol!

Re weight, you just need to hang in there Bay. You’re still fasting just maybe have been overindulging a bit on NFD and I find it so easy to do that once we get away from home and out of our normal habits and eating patterns. I’m like you as soon as I have anything white the weight goes straight on. We’re still in Canada and I can’t find a lot of the usual things I eat and believe you me everything in the food line is super sized in Canada! Even when you think you’ve made a good food choice when you read the list of ingredients you see you haven’t lol!

Purple, I too love seeing the way other countries grow and present their plants and come home inspired, motivated, enthusiastic etc. I can’t wait to get home and see what my garden has been up to. Wish we could post photos on here, I’d love to share some of the ones I’ve taken and would love to see yours Purple. πŸ’πŸ

Not today, Carol…teeming rain now.The azaleas are a bit limp. This is when traffic in this huge city becomes chaos.
    Is it ok that I just ate the BEST pub meal I’ve had in years?…Guiness and beef pie (with mushrooms) mash and peas.
    It was SO good on a cold wet day ☺☺ P

Hermaj,

Interesting to know the derivation of feisty. I must say it’s not a term I associate with older ladies though. I’ve really only heard it used by men to refer to younger women, and then it seems slightly derogatory, a bit patronising, and meant as a put down. Is there a similar term for men? I suspect not…

Fast,

Love the crumple me look!

Bay,

Of course you are a maintainer! Just a little over your lowest weight. There’s no rule about what weight you must be though is there? I know what you mean about motivation though, it comes and goes doesn’t it? I do think maintenance is harder than weight loss, so perhaps sometimes we need to gain a bit of Wright to kick start the process again?!

I’m hovering at top end of my maintenance range, which means I go over if I eat processed carbs. But I’m only a kg up, and I’m finding it hard to be very motivated and be very strict. OH is away for a few days soon, so I’m hoping the absence of cooking for him will help!

Thanks for your support, Carol, Purple, Happy and Hermaj. You’re a great team. 🌺🌺🌺🌺
    I fasted 22.5 hours and have just enjoyed my bowl of homemade vege soup. It rained nearly all day and I weeded during the time when it did not rain.

Purple, Guinness beef pie when well done (and only when well done) is fantastic! Envy, envy!

One thing I will say is Canada (this part of Canada anyway), has the best most interesting, delicious salads ever! They just put an interesting group of ingredients together and always include something sweet, like dried cranberries, grapes. I just love them so at least there is something nice to have for lunch when out sightseeing.

Hang in there everyone, as Hermaj says there’s no rules about what we should weigh, it’s what suits us and what we can maintain with ease.

Friday morning over here which means you Aussies are already into the weekend – but have a nice weekend everyone! 😊

Hi Carol,

I’m sure I’ve been known to have told everyone to hang on in there, but I’m not certain I’ve ever had the nerve to claim there are no rules, by which I mean those imposed on us by our so-called betters.

Try telling the medics there are no rules and that BMI is bollocks! Their constant harping on about weight keeps a lot of the metabolically challenged – like me – well away from their consulting rooms. I would be prepared to bet money that if I did dare to show my face at the quack’s with some minor complaint, I’d get a lecture about excess weight. All this despite having managed to lose nearly 20% of my starting weight thanks to 3 1/2 years of 5:2 – Speedy Gonzalez I ain’t. OK, 5 or 6 kilos more would be nice. Pigs might also fly!

About a year ago, just for fun, I did one of those online longevity quizzes. Answering as honestly as I could I was told I’d live to my late 90s (you have been warned!) although the compilers were kind enough to point out that with my BMI I should already have been dead 5 years. πŸ™‚ So much for rules!

I think it was me who said there were no rules πŸ˜€

Apologies Hermaj, it was Happy mentioned rules, sorry all!

I’m referring to the rules we apply to ourselves. πŸ˜„

You’re fine, hermaj – and although I’ve no real ambition to make 100, I’d love to be around to see you at that age, as you get less inhibited and more outspoken. A perfect example of the guts it takes to persevere!

I’ve been lurking for the last week or two, concentrating on overseeing a reasonably healthy diet while not able to cook it myself (had filled the fridge with good stuff pre-incarceration to that end, only to have the blessed machine die on the day I came home!), necking medication and gradually walking a little further and faster each day. Interested to find that weight stayed absolutely stable at low end of wriggle room for first ten days – no change whatsoever, despite no fasting. In the last few days, despite more walking, I’ve gained a pound – not enough to worry, but shouldn’t be fasting post- surgery, so if the trend continues there may be work to do later. My theory is that in the early days healing uses mega-calories, but slows down a bit as recovery goes on – does that make sense? Tummy still a bit sore, now looking 4 months pregnant rather than 7 as it was when I came home (reassurance please, Carolann – will it go by itself or is this reaction to lack of gym and pilates which will be really hard work to reverse?) Overdid things yesterday (some rules shouldn’t be broken!) and a bit rubbish today, so have had a lazy day – delighted to have some posts to read – thank you! Good to be back.

Rest assured, Fast, I only want to be around in my 90s if a) I can still wipe my own bum and b) I’m reasonably compos mentis. Otherwise I’m out of here, sooner rather than later.
    My 96-year-old m-i-l is a reminder of how I never want to be. So much so that the odd senior moment (too many intellectual balls in the air at once, at least that’s my excuse) frightens the hell out of me. Could it be the first step down the slippery slope to bonkers?

I hope your recovery is progressing well Fast. I’m with you, I want to see the press reports on the future “elderly” Herm and her antics….might be a while yet πŸ˜‚
    Of course Happy is the ‘no rules’ contributor! Herm is always SO compliant.
    Good work with the yummy salads on the go Carol….the only way to survive travel. Are you back home soon?
    I’m struggling with aching leg joints (hip, knee, ankle) at present….the combinaion of a rugged life and wet weather. 😏 It disappoints me that I will have to change my health routine, as the walking alone does not use enough variety of muscles. Carrying an extra 1.5kg probably doesn’t help either. P

Hi, everyone. I’m maintaining 9st 10lbs, although my aim is 9.7!

Once I get there I’ll consider my target between the two! Overdid the roast vegetables from the 5:2 yesterday, there seemed to be loads inspite of my husband swearing he weighed everything .

Hi Polly
    Well done with your maintenance! Roast veg are ok if they aren’t potatoes πŸ˜‰ Keep them to a minimum. (onions, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, fennel, carrot etc) Mmmmm… 😊
    Enjoy your weekend. P

Thanks, PVE. It’s surprising how this potato addict doesn’t miss them. We have 100grs about once a week.

Weighed today and I’m just a pound off target of 9st 7lbs!! Yea gods, I do wish I’d measured more than just my waist before starting 5:2! My legs and stomach show the best lost and, amazingly, I’ve lost little from my bust. For the first time in my life I take a bigger size top than bottom. It’s going to be a costly winter as I’ll need a few pairs of new trousers. πŸ˜€

Lucky you Polly. The only time I’ve ever had a cleavage was when I was fat! 😐
    We replaced our clothes twice as we lost weight…an expensive little exercise, but then, we don’t eat much, so save there πŸ™„
    Despite being within my healthy range, I’m doing a quick “lose 2kg” before I need to be in a swimming costume (it’s spring here), so I’m basically doing 18:6 on non fast days, and very strict about carbs.
    Lots of coffee and gardening happening πŸ€— P

Lucky thing having a good summer to look forward to! It’s not bad here, though.

My husband has also lost loads, he was dangerously overweight and lying to me about how bad it was. Luckily, he’s never cold and tends to wear chinos all year round,so our summer sale bargains will do him. It’s much easier to eat well if both of you do it, isn’t it. He used to really undermine me and he’s a damn good cook.

Yes. Definitely easier without somebody undermining.
    I’ve had only 100 cals today, so far, (nearly 6pm) and I’m shivering. I usually make sure I’m wearing plenty to reduce the incentive to eat to warm up. I’ve lit the fire and made a cuppa to see me through until dinner 😊😊

Greetings maintainers,

Nice work Polly!

I’ve had a good week too. Mindful non-fast days and one fast. And this weekend I’m at 59.2, so comfortably under my upper limit πŸ˜€

My OH is a good cook too, but no concept of calories! I guess I’m just lucky then that he leaves most of the cooking to me…!

And as P knows, I’m another maintainer who isn’t particularly well-endowed any more. I would say small but perfectly formed…although these days only when I’m lying down πŸ˜€ If they were larger they’d only be in my way so I can’t say I’m sorry! .

Ha ha Happy!! Great description!
    Snap with the weight, too! ☺☺

We have just come back from an hour walk on the coastal path. I sorted some washing, now just had something to eat – a salad sandwich, with marmite. At 2.20! First in weeks! That’s like vegemite for you PVE πŸ˜‰ .

I just find it totally unnecessary to eat breakfast. The only thing I ‘fear’ is my love of wine! I could easily go back to a glass every night. That’s the way calories sneak up on one. Lime and soda gets boring! I will have a vodka.

No weight lost this week, still a pound off target. However, I’ve had a good few days with winning two bottles of opened wine after our wine tasting group.

This week will be difficult as we are having work done in the kitchen and dining room. Have to eat out today and maybe tomorrow.

Always a challenge Penny ☺
    We had an unexpected lunch today with a friend on Monday fast, so I chose the vegetarian burger, ate the inside and the salad and left the buns. Not too damaging. 😊 P

First fast today after returning from OS. I expected it to be difficult as fasting was very intermittent while we were away.

It was a bit hard but not too bad. Just had a bowl of vegetable soup. Yum!

Weight gain was minimal while away – more good luck than good management I think!

I was 300g Above trigger point when I got home, late afternoon. Don’t think I ate much as nothing in the cupboards, but next day was 1kg lighter. I didn’t believe the scales actually, didn’t weigh the rest of the week until today before fasting and I was at trigger point. Will see what tomorrow brings!

How would you know if your scales were ‘out’?

Welcome home Carol. Nice work…you’ve been os for for ages. Such an expert πŸ™„
    How are the rest of the mcs going?? P

Well done, Carol. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡.

I would go by the Trousers of Truth. If the scales said good things and my trousers were tight, I would believe the trousers. If the trousers fit loosely, I would believe them over the scales. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Fasted today, Purple, carb free. Salmon and green veg for dinner. Cheers, Bay.

Definitely the Trousers!! Mine aren’t tight, but are less loose than they were, after 5 weeks of limited exercise post surgery. I suspect that’s lost muscle tone, as scales say exactly the same as they did on the day I went to hospital, so reasonably pleased not to have gained weight, but shall need to re-focus on tum once I’m given the green light to get back to full activity. I haven’t fasted, as such, though have eaten fairly carefully most of the time – with extra protein and nuts (good) but also rather too frequent lapses when friends have arrived bearing cake and the combination of boredom, frustration, discomfort have convinced me that indulgence was justified. Can only assume that healing takes lots of calories, and a bit afraid that once healed I shall blow up like a balloon, as every indiscretion activates at once. Keep trying the Trousers!

The trousers of truth are being a bit of a problem. I bought two pairs of lovely size 12 trousers – now like sacks on me and I still have to pay for them on my card.

The jeans are passable. I’ve never worn a larger top than bottom before, so I’m delighted really. I have a good stock of winter jumpers. No one can tell that I’ve lost weight, though. Never mind, I feel great.

In that case, Pollypenny, stick with the scales – whatever tells the truth about how good you feel – and look!
    Re the trousers:: please don’t do what I did, and hang onto them ‘just in case’. You’ll still end up passing them on with labels still attached: if you do it now you might get something for them to go toward that card bill, rather than just the virtuous glow, tempered by kicking your own backside, which comes if you keep them for too long. As far as I can see, it’s the only downside to 5:2 – it should come with a financial health warning along the lines of ‘may cause weight loss faster than clothes purchases can keep up’.
    Well done you!

Well I appear to be the odd one out as I didn’t really buy much until I’d reached goal and was sure it was going to stick! So the health warning for me was ‘May cause you to look like a bag lady/tramp’…

Bag lady is fine, Happy – there are days when it’s my normal style. Arrest for being out and about sans trousers (round ankles) a little more tricky..And to be honest, I kept thinking I’d gone as far as I could go, so safe to buy stuff – and then surprising myself by losing another size….. I think I revised goal about 3 times, all told – and then went on losing unintentionally for a bit – ((as I seem to remember you did, too, or was that Carolann? ) Think I’ve settled now, though, as I’ve been stable at lowest end, give or take the odd pound or two in either direction, for over a year. Hope, so, because I’ve now given away both fat clothes and slimmerish clothes, and definitely can’t afford more – these will have to see me out!! So daily weighing, regular fast days, (and feast days!) eternal vigilance, still the order of the day, and I guess always will be,now.

I’ve worn both pairs of trousers, Fast!

Aw, we’ve had a bad day – our first, including a month in the USA! Kitchen out of action because of workmen, so we popped down to our nearest Prezzo. They do a lower calorie version of every pizza, with a salad and it is lovely. However, I had an artichoke pizza. My husband had spaghetti and meat balls. We wolved them all – apart from a few crusts! Now we feel like fat pigs! Bloated and uncomfortable.

The last time we went to Prezzo we ate half and brought the rest home in a box, American style.

Definitely fast tomorrow, even if it’s warm baked beans in the microwave.

From the shorts of shame, past the trousers of truth to the dress of desire!
    The reality of successful 5:2ing ☺

Polly, we both replaced our complete wardrobes twice. Like the others (except clever Happy) we wrongly assumed we’d reached our smallest size too early. An expensive exercise and alterations often lpoked dteadful on brand new clothes. It is strange how it is necessary to wear clothes that actually fit the whole body. …especially shoulder width πŸ™„

Great to hear you are on the mend Fast, and hopefully won’t blow out 😏
    Your house must be shining after another fast day polish, Bay?

Keep at it mcs 😊😊 P

Ha ha you ladies are so great for raising in my spirits!

All sound advice thankyou! I weighed this morning and according to scales lost 1.5kg after FD – if I did that would be a miracle! Mind you I peeed all night long!!!

I’ve e just checked online how to calibrate scales and I’m going to do that. We had a house sitter here while we were away and maybe something weird happened to the scales.

Re the consistent weight loss and clothes that now don’t fit, I was part of that group too and it’s very frustrating. I still have a number of clothes that are too big for me but I wear them anyway because a) I’m too much of a Scrooge to toss them and b) who looks at a 66 year old woman anyway! 😊

Fast, re the tummy,, I recall mine was very bloated post op but gradually went down and I think you’ll find once you are able to start exercising you will be wanting to.

Oh Carol…never give up. We are NOT invisible and will not accept anyone who thinks so!
    Just ask Herm πŸ€•
    P 😊

Viewing 50 posts - 7,451 through 7,500 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.