The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,501 through 7,550 (of 11,673 total)

• No Carol – no mushrooms allowed. Bet you’re far from invisible!

Thanks for the reassurance re tum – I’m sure you’re right. Priority at the moment is to sort some supposedly dissolvable stitches which haven’t (easily done) and a newly leaky bladder, (which I was warned was a possibility and which I’m hoping is a temporary effect of shifting internal furniture but suspect might be a tad more complicated.) But the op does seem to have sorted the original problem – for which much thanks – even if it seems to have provoked a fresh one! Tum can look after itself once I can get back to pilates etc. And it’s not big enough to make me wish I’d kept the fat trousers, so can’t be too bad…

Pollypenny – the fact that you feel bloated is one more proof that 5:2 is working for you: your bodies have adjusted to finding a smaller intake normal. Rejoice in bloated, just this once – it’s telling you good news!

Well put Fast 😊
    I just watched 66 year old Mr P carefully select trousers, shirt and jumper in matching colours to look his best. If he doesn’t think he’s invisible, neither should we “girls”. ☺

Hi Carol

Woohoo! It can be done, when you’ve had a lot of processed carbs recently. Particularly given your Olympic level pee. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜†πŸ˜† The effort is in maintaining the loss. No white foods on any day can do the trick.

Totally agree with everyone. πŸ‘—πŸ‘—πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ We are NOT invisible and it’s really worth having attractive sexy clothes that make us feel good.

Cheers, Bay

You’re all totally right of course re visibility! πŸ’ƒπŸΌπŸ‘™πŸ’„πŸ‘—

I tested the scales and they’re not wrong.

I think you hit the nail Bay because I had eaten quite a bit of white over the weekend. Eating no white is such an easy rule to remember (for those of us affected by white food) to maintain our desired weight.

Love this forum for the little pep talks from everyone! πŸ˜„

PS Fast, Since my hysterectomy I can’t do Pilates. I found feldenkreis really helped with a waterworks problem I had. I did 4 lessons which were pelvic floor specific and found it really helped me.

It’s so simple…no white food… as long as that doesn’t then mean you can go crazy with chocolate flavouring! Just kidding. ..I don’t eat chocolate.
    I’m in total agreement and know full well what a slippery slope white carbs are. So much easier to just eliminate them. πŸ™„ P

I’m not prepared to be invisible either and I’m 69! Everything went south for me, too, Carol, and a hysterectomy etc four years ago left me really flabby. I do tai chi, some of those exercises are good for pulling my gut in as well as general posture and health.

I went to pick my husband up on Saturday and, from a distance, I was wondering who the other guy I was picking up was talking to. He’s looking great – husband, I mean! 😜

I like the idea of no white food. We are totally converted to brown rice, rarely have bread now, but whole meal pasta is a step too far. We are tending to use couscous.

In my kit, off to tai chi shortly.
    Pol.

No white food?! Cauliflower…celeriac…fennel…turnip…butter beans…cannellini beans…?

Milk, yohurt, kefir, brie…
    Polly, remember, even choosing wholemeal flours and brown rice, they are still high gi choices and need to be in very limited quantities. White carbs is just a simplification. P

And no pilates?! Sorry, Carol – thanks for the tip, but that’s as bad as ‘invisible’, for me.
    This will get sorted, whatever it takes, and pilates is non-negotiable! ( I too found a problem post-hysterectomy in 2007 but it sorted itself with time; this time it’s worse – bigger op, so logical – and I was forewarned, but that doesn’t mean I’ll put up with it!)

And I love wholemeal pasta, P – can no longer eat pasta out as I’ve grown to loathe the slippery yuk-ness of the white versions. No accounting for tastes!

Hi Carol – reading that back, it sounds really ungracious – sorry, not intentional. I’ll look up feldenkreis. Thanks

Well I’m cooking a big no no for dinner. ..egg and bacon pie (with leek and mushroom) to finally get the old, dried up puff pastry out of the freezer! Now THAT’S white food. Ah well! P

No offence taken Fast – I get that you love your Pilates! 😊

Nice to get a name check, P, although I’ve contributed precious little to the forum recently.
    Invisibility. I’m afraid I suffer from the same, not particularly because I’m older than God, but because at 5ft 1in I am often overlooked – literally – and have to put up with witticisms like “didn’t see you down there, darlin'”. Do they not realise that being “down there” means that Hermaj’s fists are just at the right level to give these usually male clever clogs a good thump right “down there”?
    I’ve recently thought about wearing hats more often, mainly to cover the bad hair I inherited from my mum. All my closest male blood rellies have inherited beautiful manes from my dad’s side of the family. Not me, I’m afraid. I already have a trilby which, when worn with shades, makes me look like one of the Blues Brothers, or at least their mum. While wandering around H&M recently I was sorely tempted by some cute little bowlers – Clockwork Orange, Cabaret, Magritte paintings spring to mind.
    Count me in on Happy’s question re “white” foods. I also assumed that this applied mostly to white processed carbs but didn’t include naturally white veggies, excluding spuds, of course.
    Finally, I’ve just started watching on my iPlayer a series entitled The Art of Australia being broadcast on Beeb 4 and focusing on art from the colonial period to the present day. I think it may have gone out in Oz two or three years ago. It coincides with a period I love – mid-19th-century to the mid to late 20th – and the work of artists I haven’t so far come across, so big treat in store.

Ah yes…Hermaj and Magritte 😊😊😊 I have the DVD of Art in Aust (of course). It was interesting how the artists had to start altering their view. The new country was nothing like the “old country”…different light, colours and vegetation. Many of the early artists were convicts. Apparently forgery is an excellent skill set for colonial artists!!! P

So obviously the series comes highly recommended, P. I guess arriving Down Under and experiencing the different light, colours and vegetation,the new arrivals, must have felt rather like European artists did when they first found their way to the South of France, although they hadn’t had to travel quite so far.

Aren’t the locals on the south of France Europeans? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Of course they are. They were also used to and no doubt appreciated the surroundings that so impressed incomers. What I meant was that artists from various parts of Europe – more northerly regions of France, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany., etc. – or other parts of the world, e.g. the USA – found themselves in natural surroundings very different to those they were accustomed to, very much in he same way as newcomers to Australia did. Obviously didn’t explain very well. Must be losing it. πŸ™

Just stirring Herm….☺

Stir away, P, stir away! πŸ™‚

Good morning, folks! Happy to report that I’ve reached my target of 9st 7lbs! I’ve lost 22lb, plus the 4 which were the wake up call after our Irish break. To be realistic and balance I am aiming to maintain between 9:7 and 9:10!

Waist is correct, but I’m not happy that my stomach sags below it. Definitely need to continue with exercise to tighten and tone. Not that easy at my age, the tightening, I mean. Exercise is fine.

Well done Polly 😊😊
    As to tummy tightening πŸ™„ I haven’t found the solution yet.
    Thursday fast has been really easy this week. I’ll cook a little barramundi and salad in about an hour. P

Excellent result Polly! You are now a maintainer!

I don’t think my tummy will ever be tight again either but think a little pot at my age is really quite sweet – sort of a badge of honour of all my body has gone through! πŸ˜„

Well done on another successful fast purple! Barramundi sounds wonderful!

I’m doing nice healthy chicken burgers for my husband tonight. I’ll be having leftovers with my glass of wine – yay! πŸ˜„

Have a good weekend everyone. At last we are seeing some sun in Adelaide. I though it had gone missing permanently!

Carol, is your husband still on 5:2 while you’re maintaining? I can see a few difficulties if I relax a bit, as my husband still has a stone to lose.

I don’t know how cold it gets in Adelaide in winter, but I would be grateful for any tips about comfort food when it’s cold. I love custard and it could be my downfall!

Polly, I keep doing 2 fasts as Mr P needs them to keep his reversed diabetes at bay. It is such a habit now, I’m happy to do it for life.
    When we spent last winter in the UK, we drank mulled wine and ate fish soups to keep warm. You can get away with those extra cals in colder weather. In Aus, I make sure I’m wearing extra clothes so that I don’t get cold and hungry 😊 P

How long did did our husband have diabetes, PVE? My other half has been on metaformin for years. I doubt a reversal will be possible.

10 years. He’d been injecting insulin for at least 5 (I can’t remember). We started 5:2 over 3 1/2 years ago. It took about a year to get off insulin. Another 6 months ? to get off Metformin. Several years later, he fasts twice a week and tests his bs every morning. Perfect. No drugs. It is totally reversible with fasting, low carb/full fat diet and exercise. P

That is brilliant. I will tell my husband. We can be hopeful, then. That’s very encouraging, PVE.

Pol x

Not just hopeful, Polly…you CAN do it!!! P 😊😊

My husband doesn’t do 5:2 Polly.

Purple, I always mention your husbands medications success when extolling the virtues of 5:2 to others lol!

Cold weather I eat a lot of soup Polly.

Found a great snack/toast substitute – thin slices of sweet potato, I toast and then zap,in microwave for 20 seconds then back in the toaster. Should now be nicely brown and al dente.,if it’s not just toast again. Add topping of your choice and voilΓ  !

Oooh, that sounds good, Carol. Where are you? U.K?

Now that I can maintain I’m having a glass of wine with Strictly Come Dancing tonight and tomorrow. I had stuck to only having a drink when we went out, less temptation. I seem to have cured my potato love, so the odd wine is ok, I hope.

I’ve just posted, but it’s disappeared!

Yesterday, I read of another man who has reversed diabetes 2 by weight loss and exercise. There’s hope for my husband. He looks good anyway. Bought new trousers in Debenhams sale yesterday – too big! Have to take them back.

Feels good, doesn’t it? πŸ™„

I’m in Australia Polly. πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

As are Purple and Bay. Think that’s all of us down under!

No, no Carol…think of us as at the beginning of the day, just behind Barata in NZ πŸ™„πŸ™„
    Love the Aussie flags 😊

Thanks Purple, I was sure there was another antipodean! Haven’t heard from Barata for a while.

She is fine….swimming around on Jo’s thread too, like me πŸ™„

Carol,

Thanks for the tip about toasting sweet potato. I’ll definitely try that…although I had to read it twice before I realised you hadn’t gone mad!

Thin is another down under maintainer isn’t she?

Of course she is. Sorry Thin. She’s from the wild west πŸ™„πŸ™„
    Must try those sweet potatoes on Tuesday. ..post fast. P

Of course Thin! πŸ˜„ πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

Yes, the sweet potato sounds a bit random Happy but works well. Did I say to leave the skin on?

Does anyone have a problem with going out of control on the weekend? This seems to be a problem for me these days. I weighed in quite light after my FD last week so thought I would eat a bit of bread over the weekend so I didn’t lose quite so much fasting. Well 3scones, a few chocolates, sausage in a piece of bread, a pudding made in a mug, choc covered orange slices later……..

It’s totally out of control and part of it I put down to lack of structure over the weekend. My regular routine isn’t happening and I just seem to let loose! I don’t even enjoy it. But just have this mental block about stopping it.

My inner child days I want this and I’m having it! Stamp foot!!

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated because I think this behaviour defeats the purpose of 5:2. 😊

No words of wisdom Carol. It sounds like pretty normal behaviour for a maintainer. After all, the theory behind this wol is feast and famine!!! πŸ™„
    Gosh the Scottish crumpets (homemade by Mr P) and honey were good for Sunday brunch. Oh, and the sausage in bread with onions at the hardware store (for charity, you understand). All makes it easier to fast today, doesn’t it? πŸ€—πŸ€— P

Oh yes, same sausage as me Purple, you must have been at Bunnings too! 😊
    Yes, will admit the feasting makes it so easy to fast today. I actually look forward to it.

Would just prefer a little more moderation in my behaviour.

I haven’t had a Bunnings sausage in years. Normally I have already allocated an ‘eating session’ when I see (and smell) them πŸ™
    I had promised Mr P a bbq lunch, but when he made such an extravagant brunch, I canned it. The Bunnings snag was a compromise. This time of the year, we seem to be living at Bunnings!!
    I hope you’re getting the stunning weather we have and that the rain has gone. 🌞🌞 P

We’re aren’t having a good weekend either! OH painted the kitchen ceiling and a quick white primer over the walls, so no access to cook, really. We went out for dinner, well very late lunch st 5.30, three courses for Β£12.95 in a lovely place. Neither of us finished the main. And we had chosen carefully.

Have to eat out again tonight, but will fast tomorrow .

Carol,

I have those days too! And get similarly frustrated that I can’t exercise iron-willed control at all times… I’ve come to see them, as P says, as part of the feast and famine of fasting, a re-feed day to keep the metabolism working, and necessary to precede a fast.

While they feel out of control, I think that’s because most other days are more moderate and mindful, and the fast days throw them into sharp relief of course! But I suspect pre 5:2 they wouldn’t have seemed exceptional?!

So long as it’s weekends only and isn’t derailing maintenance I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Yes, we’re all guilty, Carol – I had a birthday this w/e and used it as an excuse for the most incredible indulgence, in stuff I claim never to eat! – but as long as it’s not so far out of hand every single w/e, I think P is right: it’s about feast and famine. I do know what you mean – I’m sure we’ve all heard 5:2 caricatured as ‘starve one day, eat like a pig the next: how is that healthy eating?’ – and I agree that’s not the spirit of 5:2. I hope we’ve reassured you, between us, but if you’re really concerned, could you perhaps shorten the w/e at one end or both? I find (birthdays apart!) that making feast day 1 day, rather than letting the w/e expand to 3 or even 4, limits the damage I can do. Just a thought…

Like you, I’m fasting today! Have a good one.

Happy birthday Fast. I hope you had a good old pigout πŸ€—πŸ€—

You hit the nail on the head Happy. I get so disappointed I am not exercising that iron will 100% of the time! And you’re right, in the old days they would have been quite normal days for me!

Happy birthday Fast, hope you had a lovely day! πŸŽ‚ And Thankyou, I do feel reassured!

Your usual words of wisdom have done the trick, Thankyou ladies!

As PVE said feast and famine, feast and famine!

I’m not derailing maintenance so no real harm done, just mindless eating really which I used to do all the time pre 5:2!

Very good one, thanks both – and far too good a pig out. Hence fast today. But I’ve noticed that the longer I maintain at stable weight, the less immediate effect a pig out has – as long as I pull it back fairly promptly – it’s letting it creep back into becoming a normal pattern that would be disastrous. I find straight after a pig out I actually want to fast – I’m sure if I prolonged the mindless/deliberately destructive eating I could easily lose that instinctive need to restore balance. I have to fast fast, if you get my meaning. Back to fast and feast – enjoy both!

Happy birthday, Fast. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ·πŸ·πŸ·πŸ‘—πŸ‘—πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ. Hope it was fun. Bay.

The odd pig-out doesn’t justify a massive guilt trip. We all do it at some point or another. In my own case, stuffing the face with naughties is immediately followed by a day, and sometimes two or three, feeling so Moby Dick (rhyming slang, equals “sick”), that I’m not likely to do a repeat performance any time soon. But somehow I do every few months of so…

We’re currently travelling in Extremadura, a beautiful region in the south west of Spain which mass tourism has left virtually untouched, this despite the fact that three of our destinations – Merida, Caceres and Trujillo = are World Heritage Sites. If there were also a major award for the highest percentage of fatties in the western world, Extremadura would certainly be among the leading contenders. These people are not simply a few kilos overweight, nothing some careful eating won’t at least partially fix – they are ginormous!

It goes right across the age range and some of the worst offenders can’t be more than 30. While consuming our very modest dinner on our first evening, at the next table were a young mum and dad and their small daughter aged about three. Facially, all three were drop-dead gorgeous, especially the dad who looked like one of those 17th-century portraits of young Spanish noblemen, but he and his wife must have been super-morbidly obese, their bums drooping over the sides of the chairs. The little girl could be described as pleasantly plump, but if she continues to stuff her pretty little face with the sort of gooey cake she was eating while mum and dad massacred burgers and big plates of chips it won’t be long before she, too, is as porky as her parents.

It seems incongruous in a country as health-conscious as Spain, especially when it comes to food. A wander round one of the large and very well-stocked supermarkets reveals that foods are labelled with fat, sugar and total calorie content and there seems to be a much greater recognition of food allergies and intolerances than, for example, in the UK – something I tend to notice as I’m lactose intolerant. There are also fabulous displays of fruit and veg and plenty of lean protein in the form of meat and fish, fresh, canned and bottled. Also food prices seem to be on the low side. although to be fair I’m not sure how well they match average salaries. From my own experience of working for prolonged periods in Spain, I always returned to the UK at around ideal weight, without really trying. Needless to say, sod’s law, it all went straight back on after a few weeks back home. This was before 5:2 was invented.

Meanwhile it might perhaps be good to promote “Cinco-Dos” on the Iberian Peninsula.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,501 through 7,550 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.