The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,901 through 5,950 (of 11,673 total)

• Indeed ready for the challenge, Happy. Interesting to read your theory on why you think you keep eating the day after. I have just done a 10 calorie fast today (1 mug of boullion this evening). Whilst I am physically hungry I am not “head hungry” = the “I want to keep eating” type which is much worse. Lets see how I feel tomorrow afternoon if my body fights back and makes me eat “just because I can”.

Hi Lichtle

Welcome back. I’m ready for the Advent challenge. Been having sugar free days in between my fast days to practice. ??.

Cinque, it has made a difference having more water on non fast days.

Hi Purple, bon voyage. ????

Cheers, Bay ??

Hi Bay – I am starting to prepare myself this and next week for the challenge with 2 good fasts as they always reduce the sugar cravings. Good reminder to keep up the water consumption on non fast days.

I love your farewell wishes and I join you in wishing Purple and DH a very “Bon Voyage” as well. :-))

Gosh, I checked this thread over a couple of days and everyone seemed to have cleared off. Now I’m suddenly well behind in the chatter. Welcome back Lichtle and good job not gaining any weight in Cornwall – did you find that palm tree in Truro?

I still haven’t had the courage to add up my non-FD intake but I’m sure it’s nowhere near 2000 cals. I’ve weighed in under 60kgs for 9 out of the last 10 days and have no idea why. I seem to have eaten a lot more sugar than usual and certainly haven’t made any special effort to get below 60-61kgs which I’d been steadily maintaining for three months. I did have one FD where I just wasn’t hungry at all so my intake was below 300 cals but that wouldn’t explain anything. Perhaps it’s just not worth trying to rationalise. I spent half my life wondering why I was so overweight, I think I’ll just be grateful that I found 5:2.

One day, a few more kilograms down the road, I want to join this thread! I love reading your stories about the fascinating situation of being the weight you want…. and then not being!

So it is very exciting to be mentioned here Bay!!
    I am glad the extra water helps. I am finding I need to really watch that too.

Hello all of you! See you in a few months I hope! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Cinque, I noticed Bay had responded to you on this thread but I couldn’t see any posts from you. I was a lurker on here long before I joined in. See you on the ‘other side’ tomorrow; I’m looking forward to my fast. Well, sort of. I’ve been counting down to our trip, not by sleeps but by fasts! Two more fasts until we leave.

I’m counting down by hours now Thin.
    “My bags are packed I’m ready to go…”
    ???? Next glass of wine will be on the plane! P

Thanks for the well wishes girls.
    Well done Thin. You have joined we permanent under 60s folk! It’s a nice place to be, isn’t it? I wish you a good trip too. P ?

Thanks Purple. Safe trip to you.

Yes happy holidays ladies. Enjoy yourselves without worrying about weight! ???

Thin, I know you’ve probably said but I’m over 60 and CRAFT! Where are you off to?

Yes, safe travel to all…wherever you’re off to ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Carol, we’re going to Portugal and Spain for two months next week. Madrid is 11C and sunny. What’s CRAFT? (I must be whatever that is too!). Oh, never mind, I’ve just worked it out, you rude thing.

Hi Thin/ Carol,

I thought that was a typo at first… but now I realise I’m under 60 and CRAFT ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy Portugal and Spain Thin!

Hi Everyone
    Have safe and wonderful holidays Purple & Thin!!
    Im 400gms over my goal range and have birthday celebrations in my family tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. Ive been absolutely hopeless with fasts and non fast days I canโ€™t stop eating. I have lost my will power. I will attempt another fast on Friday and do a no sugar day Saturday. Im addicted to biscuits lately and I know I should spend more time in this forum as you girls are so supportive but Im working 3 long days and then busy with stuff to do at home- except when Im sitting on the couch reading and stuffing biscuits in my face. They are gone now and we wonโ€™t be buying more. My hubby has already prepared dinner for tonight (before i got home yesterday) brushetta, lasagna, sticky date pudding and Im to make a Birthday cake= carb overload!! I don’t think my daughters and daughterinlaw are going to be happy with that either!! He knows we don’t normally eat like this. Maybe heโ€™s as hungry as I am but he doesn’t snack?

Just have a miniscule portion of cake and don’t buy any more food you can’t stop eating. Balance the carbs with an overload of lettuce, tomatoes and carrot.You can do it Judy! ? P

I’ve a pure mind. Don’t even want to know what CRAFT means. ?

Good idea Purple I will make a big salad too! Been good today, after reading a bit on the forums Ive had a bit more protein than I usually do by this time to keep the hunger away later??!And water!
    Ha Im glad to see you dont know what CRAFT means either (Iโ€™ve been racking my โ€œpureโ€ brain haha)

Thanks for the happy travel wishes.

Judy, I do this sometimes too. I’m having a tougher FD than usual today because I was a total glutton yesterday eating slices, biscuits, chocolate, etc. It’s put me back up to 60.2kgs and just not worth it. Then again, we need to feast don’t we?

I’ll help you out with the acronym. “Can’t remember a ******* *****”.

Thanks, Thin. I didn’t have a clue. ?? ??

Now beginning to wonder what the FUD stands for in Carolannfud. Ho hum, I wish it was dinner time.

Ha, ha, Thin. tHanks for helping with the accronym. Safe journey and holidays to you, too.

JudyF such days/times are normal. Remember this is not about permanant deprivation. But I can see, your willpower seems to have returned already. Well done.

Hi Judy,

I think sometimes we need a spell of ‘old habits’, and gaining a lb or two, to remind ourselves that we didn’t like the old us/ the way we used to eat and how that makes us feel and we don’t want to go back there.

Interesting that you say you’ve lost your willpower, because that was how we all were pre-5:2? Overweight/ gaining weight and feeling powerless to change it?

Sounds like you just need to get a day or two sugar-free/ lower carb to get back on track?

I’m under my top number today by 500g. I haven’t fasted (yet) this week, but have had a couple of lower calorie/ lower carb days. Yesterday morning I couldn’t stop weeing! I hadn’t appreciated how much water I’d been retaining, but by yesterday evening I was a kg lighter than in the morning!

Anyway, I’ve got a few days of meetings and workshops this week, so I’m hoping the experience of not being able to feed my face at will will help me with my willpower (sorry about all the wills ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

I do drink a lot of fluid, but I’m starting to have a miso soup every day to see if salt balance is my problem. Not eating much processed food, I realise there isn’t much if any salt in my diet most days…

To be honest, I don’t really mind being 60kg…until I convert to imperial… And then I’d rather by 9st4 than 9st6!

Hi Happy, it seems that your “water retention account” is the answer to most people’s puzzle re not gaining or gaining inexplicably. But I am astounded that it would be quite as much as that. Although I rarely weigh myself in the evening, I tend to weigh about 1lb less in the morning. Other than that my weight doesn’t jump around very much. So I assume that my water balance is pretty stable.

Good luck with the meetings – being busy away from home helps not being carried away by “head eating” or (for some) “emotional eating”.

Hi Lichtle,

I was surprised by how much fluid I retained also! I don’t normally weigh in the evening, but I knew I’d got rid of a lot of water in the morning and was intrigued to see how much.

I’m feeling smug this evening as I managed to avoid the biscuits and the buffet at today’s meeting. Came home hungry though!

Ha ha Thin! Purple and Bay I thought every good Aussie had heard of that expression ?. No need to worry about the Fud Thin, it’s just part of my surname. I’m very unimaginative when it comes to user names.

Judy, I was on a bit of a bender for a while too on my non FDs. Just a little ice cream after tea, just a little chocolate, just a little cake, you get the picture. You need to throw all the rubbish food out and not buy anymore. I had ice cream on my shopping list (added when I was on the bender) and crossed it off. I’ve had a good week. I just finished my treat of a few strawberries and half a banana – and it tasted great!

Happy holidays to you also Thin!

Im usually a kilo heavier at bedtime than I am in the morning. My weight today (after birthday celebrations) was 1.2 ky OVER goal range. We have 2 days before the next (and last!) birthday celebrations so Fast day today and no sugar/carbs tomorrow. I saw my ex-boss yesterday and she has lost 12 kg doing 5:2. She is 2 kg under her goal weight. Sheโ€™s been doing 4:3 and 16:8 and this week going down to 5:2. So that should be incentive for me as Im seeing her again next week.

I’m happily eating my way through anything I’m offered. Unlike normally, I ate most of the plane food on the trip (they didn’t give us much) and we ate nothing at the airports.
    Yesterday I was so jetlagged and cold I just ate when I felt I needed it. I’m secure in knowing I won’t run amok!
    They are busy throwing Edinburgh into the Christmas spirit this week, so it is all excitement. P

You’re an expert at this now Purple!

Ah Edinburgh – one of my favourite cities! ?

@judyf, having a friend/colleague successfully doing 5:2 is a good motivation indeed. The best thing is to enjoy the celebrations and worry about fasting next week again.

I have shifted my second fast of the week to Fridays now and therefore fasting today. Have a great weekend everybody.

Greetings Upsidedowners (and rightsideuppers, obviously!),

I bought some vegemite today. Before you get too excited…I was buying a bucket-sized marmite and happened to see vegemite adjacent. I realised if I’m going to argue for marmite I should at least try your poor facsimile ๐Ÿ™‚

First impression I’m afraid is that it’s a bit bland but also has an unpleasant chemical/ artificial taste.

It says it’s a product of Australia, but maybe it’s tailored to European palates? I guess P will be able to confirm if what you can buy here is authentic. I hope for your sake it isn’t… ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Happy, many years ago a French guy bitterly complained how much he missed his home food and when I reminded him that there was so much French food available in the shops now he seriously argued that they made inferior French Food especially “for the English”.

I love Marmite – due to its strong flavour you need very little product which is definitely great for reducing calories.

Managed another Friday fast with only two mugs of boullion ร 12 calories each. I am beginning to think I find shutting down all food intake (solid) easier than eating a small amount and still feeling hungry. Well at least this is how I felt the first three times of not bothering with 400 cals.

Happy, think I have heard they doctor the Vegemite for English tastes.

Fabulous result Lichtle! Maybe you’ve hit on the solution. I find I am eating later and later on FD, but my brain hunger still won’t let me go a full day without something. ?

Since I’ll only be eating Aussie bought Vegemite here,Happy, I can’t comment. Hmm mm. .. must get up and have some on toast.
    Light dusting of snow late last night. I was in bed ? There’ll be more, I’m sure. P

Happy, you can use the leftover Vegemite to grease the wheels on your car.

Glad you’ve arrived safely Purple. Have fun in Scotland. I try to go to 2pm before my first feeding on a FD and I can see there would be advantages in not eating all day on a FD while travelling. Fasting today and bracing for 35C so must get out for my walk before it gets too hot.

Thanks for the tip Thin re: the jar of vegemite. Unless we get snowed in and have eaten everything…including the hens…cats…unnecessary limbs…I can’t see me eating it!

Some quotes from the internet seem to encapsulate it quite nicely…

Scientist Mary Fisher said: โ€œAnyone who says Australia has no culture has clearly never examined their Vegemite under a microscope.

Vegemite fan Donna Sheridan said: โ€œYouโ€™ll take my Vegemite from my cold, dead hands. At least, thatโ€™s what they smell like after handling Vegemite.

โ€œI like it because of the aftertaste, when I no longer have Vegemite in my mouth.โ€

PS got out for a 10km walk, thermals essential, sub zero with the wind chill ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha, ha Happy, Great quotes. Now I am so curious that I will have to obtain some veggiemite just to get the picture.

Very impressive re 10mile run. I was wearing thermals indoors all day when visiting a friend. Tomorrow morning I will go for my 4mile walk. I am now so used to my one hour daily walk that it feels strange when I don’t manage one due to pathetic weather cowardice.

Had to pop in to share the Vegemite song by Amanda Palmer. Even though I love vegemite, grew up on it, and eat it nearly every day, I still adore this song!
    (strong language warning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJhDV0MMPAs

Ha ha Happy and Cinque. Don’t bother Lichtle. Purple must still be asleep. ๐Ÿ˜†

No. Not asleep, but VERYY insulted!
    The uninitiated have no idea how to use Vegemite. You spread lashings of butter on bread or toast , and a very thin layer of Veg. It is also great putting a dessert spoon full in vegetable soup when you are cooking it.
    Like haggis, any food really, if not presented properly, how can you enjoy it? I personally don’t eat Marmite as I was raised on Vegemite. Simply a preference.
    Enough said. Off early, having had porridge and blueberries, to check out the snow nearby. P

Way to go Purle lol! ?

I also remember as a kid my mum making a Vegemite buillion for us for lunch sometimes. Fresh white bread is the best though! ?

Indeed Carol ?

Hi all
    Purple I love Edinburgh!
    Im too a vegemite lover and agree with Carol- fresh white bread or rolls with butter!!! I did a successful fast Friday and a no sugar/no carb day on Saturday and lost 1.4kg in 2 days (that last bit you put on quickly does lose quickly too. Yesterday was party day and only put on 200gr and today im back at top of goal range. I’m back onto it! Will semi fast today- dinner at my daughters and semifast tomorrow- lunch with work colleagues -busy time of year

Well done Judy. At least we have the skills to manage the occassional OTT day (or 2).
    We’ve been doing a lot of walking in the “bracing” wind, interspersed with cool sunlight, so are burning off the haggis Scotch eggs and Cullin Skink.? P

Hi vegemite fans,

The white bread (plain or toasted) with butter is probably the ultimate way to enjoy marmite too!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1505633/marmite-on-toast

For a fast day ‘snack’ to tide me over, I sometimes have marmite on a corn cake ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi P,

Pleased to see you sampling regional fare… Deep-fried mars bar anyone…?

Can I assume you’re not sufficiently over the travel to have started fasting again yet? How is Mr P doing?

Judy,

Good work on the mindful eating and semi-fasting round social events. I’m going to have to get my act in gear, nearly party season here too!

This time last year I was running light, instead of bobbing at the top end of my maint’range. I know I’ll be more active over the Xmas break but, if I’m going to partake of seasonal fare guilt-free, it would be good to get a grip now!

So, fasting today! And renewed backbone…I hope!

No Happy. No real fasts, but we have been eating surprisingly little, considering the cold. Mulled wine seems to be our staple, interspersed with cream teas. ? Sounds good, doesn’t it?
    Mr P’s blood sugars are excellent and so is my weight. It’s surprising how many calories you burn walking in the cold!!!
    As I don’t eat chocolate and Scottish cuisine is excellent and varied, I don’t see the deep fried food you suggest ever passing my lips! ?
    The thing I enjoy the most is checking out shops in different places. At the markets yesterday I saw meats I’d only read about (pheasant squirrel etc) I won’t rushing into them either ?
    I hope your fast went well today. P

Hi Purple

So glad you’re having a fun time in the snow and touring the shops of Edinburgh. Have you read the Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus books? I walked all over Edinburgh with his descriptions in my head. I even took the bus to Leith and walked around the waterfront. Beautiful city, Edinburgh. ??

Glad to hear both of you are on track, despite the cold weather. I am loving our late Spring warm days, it’s around 27C today. We spent last week in Victoria, catching up with friends and playing golf, including a lovely couple of days at Beechworth and surrounds. ??โ›ณ๏ธโ›ณ๏ธ??

Lichtle, Fast, Yesterday I began my sugar free month, during my fast day with no carbs whatsoever. I’m keeping Tessy company, and also including our Advent challenge. While we were away I ate French pastry, buttered buns, pizza and tottered up to my highest maintenance range. I’m looking forward to dropping a couple of kilos through the sugar free challenge, as carbs will be minimised during the sugar free challenge.

As the change from cabs to non carbs was so abrupt, I had a very rare bad head by the end of the day. Even though I had drunk lots of water and had salt in my vegetable soup. Slept 9 solid hours as felt so tired.

Looking forward to cheering us all on until Christmas, even through the making of mince pies for extended family. ??

Cheers, Bay ??

Well done Bay, I will try and get into the challenge slowly this week, too especially since I don’t want to waste a week to get into the 4 week challenge. aFter an excellent fast on Friday I went berserk over the weekend. i don’t know why I do it. Also I have not done too brilliantly in today’s fast – I spoilt it by allowing myself to eat a bit and then a little bit more….. I am getting more and more convinced that “no food” fasts are easier for me. Will re-attempt on Wednesday but this time just boullion.

I am now just 1lb above maintenance weight. I am sure the no sugar challenge will make me lose my last stubbern lb.

Lichtle

I agree re it’s easier not eating at all on a serious fast day. In yesterday’s fast I had only a half cup of black coffee, and a shed load of water,( to quote RT) until dinner time. Then vegetable soup and a little meat and mushroom. Slept like a log. Going sugar and carb free again today.

Cheers, Bay ?

Hi Lichtle,

I’ve started eating once a day on a fast day. It didn’t agree with me previously, but I’ve started having a miso soup at lunchtime and now it’s relatively easy. Who knew, it was salt I was lacking ๐Ÿ™‚

I made sure we ate all the cake I made at the weekend at the weekend, so I can have a sugar-free week too! I may have to bank the days off as I’m off to see Dad next week and he always makes puddings ๐Ÿ™ and ๐Ÿ™‚ !

P,

Glad to hear you’re navigating travelling and food…again! Being more active really does help doesn’t it?

Bay,

Sorry to hear about your withdrawal symptoms! Nine hours sleep sounds bliss though. If I go to bed now I might just get there…

Viewing 50 posts - 5,901 through 5,950 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.