The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,851 through 5,900 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi Goosey, Purple and Thin, and anyone else going on a long holiday soon. ??

Have a wonderful time. And it will be great if you can keep in touch while you’re on the move. ??

Hi Goosey, I’m glad you survived the second day without more comfort eating. Thinking of you.

Cheers, Bay ???

Thank you Bay. I’m sure I’ll be looking for your support while away – whether I will get a ‘look in’ on OH’s ipad mini is another matter, let alone whether I can manage on the teeny screen. In the meantime, I have gained a little more holiday wiggle room, today at another PB of 59.5kgs. Can’t explain why but I’m very pleased.

Happy Holidays Purple.

Well done Goosey. Don’t let the b*****ds undermine your life! ☺
    Thanks Bay. Getting a bit panicked about all the things not done yet!
    I almost always use my phone to post, Thin. That’s why the sentences are so truncated! On a proper keyboard I became quite Dickensian!!!
    Have a great trip. Post regularly P

Hi Goosey,

The strength and backbone were all yours. You’d just gone a bit wibbly wobbley for a moment 🙂

I wish you hadn’t mentioned G&B cocoa though… I have some for cooking purposes. It hadn’t occurred to me to drink it! Funnily enough, the same thing happened with peanut butter… I had a jar for making satay which would probably have passed it’s use by date if Amazon hadn’t told me you could actually just eat the stuff from the jar with a spoon 🙂

Boosey, I’m so sorry: been neck deep in a big home project and not checked in for a couple of days, so missed news of your burglary. Like so many others here, I remember how it feels – my daughter came home from school early,
    to find them still in the house (fortunately, had the wit to realise and go to the neighbour’s instead of into the house – not sure the boys would have done the same!). As others have said, it’s not the stuff, but the feelings of violated space which hurt – but for you, the ‘stuff’ was all precious, so a double blow. I’m so glad people on here were able to give you support; will be thinking of you as the shockwaves reverberate and then, hopefully, recede. But they can last longer than you expect, so please shout again if you need to.

Happy, I’m surprised a woman of your resourcefulness hadn’t discovered the G and B cocoa trick! I started drinking it because, unlike drinking choc, it doesn’t contain milk solids; later discovery that there’s no sugar so calories are negligible but it’s mega comforting sent me out to stock up!

Bon voyage from me, too, to all going off on adventures. Keep fasting, keep posting!

Sorry, Goosey – it was the iPad, not me, who called you ‘Boosey’. No disrespect intended!

Poor Goosey,

Goosed and Boosey, all in the same week!

Im also sorry to hear you’d been burgled, Goosey. I hope you do get to recover some of your precious things. Have fun to those off traveling! Another good fast day down for me today but Ive got a few social events on the weekend so Ill try to keep the calories down!

Where can I get this Green and Blacks Cocoa?

Thin, not sure if we can get it here or not. I know we can get the chocolate yum! Try Foodland. I bought a really rich dark European cooking/drinking choc when we were in Canada. I buy those when I can because they have great flavour but a bit hard to get in Aus. I’m always looking for great drinking choc that is available here. Haighs make one but I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll have a look at the supermarket today. ?

Thin, I looked at Foodland today and no luck there. I have def seen the chocolate but haven’t actually looked for the hot choc until today. I’m on the hunt now! ?

Carolann, Thin – just to be really clear – and protect you from a naughty mistake – it’s the cocoa you’re looking for, Not the hot chocolate, which is lovely but altogether less virtuous!
    Hope you find it!

Thanks Fast! ☕️

Back on an even keel after the wobble. Eating under control, So only the one evening of binge to undo thanks to you ladies.
    Green and Blacks cocoa, you can usually get in the home baking section but BEWARE they also make a chocolate drink which has sugar added, the tub looks just the same but bigger. Goosey x

Snap! Goosey.

Talking about sourcing things from overseas. …just spoke to my daughter in the UK. She needs a jar of Vegemite, 2 bottles of teetree oil (antiseptic) and chicken Twisties (a snack food). Interesting how we all crave things from home. ?

Hi P,

I know you can buy tea tree oil in the UK and I think you can buy Kraft vegemite too…although why you would want to when you can have marmite is beyond me 🙂

Not sure if anyone can help, but I’m finding the day after my fast days really really hard at the moment. The day after the day after is fine, but the first day after I just have an almost uncontrollable urge to eat (not sugar or carb, just anything!). Not really found this before, not sure what’s going on?

Thanks for the cocoa search tips.

Purple, what does your daughter need Vegemite for when she has the far superior Marmite available? And forget Tea Tree Oil, she is lucky enough to have TCP! (Let the comments begin) 😆

Edit: Just saw your post Happy! Couldn’t agree more! (about the marmite, that is). Not sure why you are so hungry after the FD. I usually don’t eat until late morning after a FD – as long as I can get my frothy coffee, I’m fine.

Hi Thin,

Yes my morning coffee after the fast day keeps me going til lunch, but after lunch… I know I’m full but my brain says keep eating!

Today is the day after the day after, had hummus and veg an hour ago, no urge to eat anything else.

I’m wondering if it’s a physiological response to perceived ‘famine’?! I’m not greedy every day 🙂

Happy, do you think you’ve reached the weight your body considers the lowest healthy one, and be protecting you from further loss? I’m finding the same, and have concluded that might be the answer (or it may just be the Autumn urge to fatten up!). If the former – congratulations – but perhaps we should listen, before we decide to ignore?

Hmm mm. ..maybe you are a mere mortal after all, Happy. Random hunger at your weight is perfectly all right. Ask me again when you’ve gained 10 kg and I’ll change my attitude. This IS meant to include ‘famine AND feast’!

BTW the retorts on Vegemite are sacrilege! Your citizenship must be revoked, Thin!!!! The history of the two products is interesting. Marmite had had the main market share until WW11, when the Govt commandeered production to supply our fighting forces. Vegemite stepped in to supply the domestic market and the love affair has continued ever since. No self respecting Aussie would even have Marmite in the house!

Must get up and have some toast….with Vegemite. ? P

We had to buy Marmite last week as the shop had run out of Vegemite.
    I suspect the Marmite (which my spellcheck rightly wants to change to “manure”) will languish in the cupboard for eternity- though I did make Marmite roast potatoes which were delicious.

Well Thin’s post made me laugh, as my first draft post referred to ‘the far superior marmite’ but I toned it down in consideration of your BP P!

Thanks for the reassurance re insatiable hunger. Funny that intermittent fasting can continue to throw up surprises after so long! Last autumn I do remember the urge to eat carbs, but I wasn’t necessarily fasting every week then. This year I don’t have the carb craving but I do seem to need a weekly fast!

Fast, I don’t think I’m at a particularly low weight, I still have my pear shape reserves! But it does feel like my body’s fighting me all the way on food after a fast day.

Heron,

I suspect your spell-checker is defective, you should get that checked 🙂

Thanks for considering my health Happy. ??
    Love the “manure” correction PBH ?

Hi Happy, Thin, Fast, Purple

Firstly have to agree re Vegemite being way superior in taste to marmite. It seems to me that we all love whatever taste we first try as a kid.

Purple, Beware not to carry Vegemite in hand luggage. It gets confiscated if you do, as they deem it to be a liquid over 100 ml.

Happy, re the insatiable urge to eat the next day, I have been having trouble also. Glad you posted as I’ve been thinking it was my weakness. ?? I have been fasting on 5:2 for 21 months, so do you think it bears out Samm’s theory that we need a break from fasting every now and again?

I’ve been quiet on just how much I’ve been struggling on the non fast days, as I know how much we need happy examples of this WOL. I agree that Fast days are easy. It’s controlling the amount I eat on the other days, particularly the afternoon after fast day, that is the hard part. ??

Cheers from a very rainy Bay ??

Hi Bay,

Sorry to hear you’re struggling with the non-fast days! Good to hear I’m not alone with the day after fast day struggle!

The reality is that maintenance is sometimes easy, sometimes hard. It requires constant vigilance, and you have to be prepared to adapt and change your approach. Maybe you’re right about having a break from fasting, if fasting isn’t agreeing with you.

This last two weeks, based on the day after the fast, I’ve begun to think I need to do ADF!

I suspect part of my problem (the reason I need more frequent fasts at the moment) is the sudden drop off in exercise and general activity. The days are short and the weather’s sh*t…

Perhaps next week I’ll aim to slightly restrict, perhaps only half TDEE rather than quarter, and see how that works.

Very funny Purple. What’s that Australian Citizenship test again? Something about “a) what does LBW stand for, b) what is vegemite and c) have you even eaten it?”. I still have some in the cupboard that expired in 2009, I figure that axle grease is never going off. I think you may be right Bay – or perhaps it’s just clever branding by those sneaky food manufacturers proving that children recognise logos as early as primary school.

Happy and Bay I am quite often hungry the day after a fast depending I believe on how much protein I ate on FD. If I was mainly vegetarian I am usually ravenous the next day. I don’t worry about it, but make sure I only eat healthy food. Doesn’t seem to affect weight loss at all.

Love Vegemite! ?

Yes Bay. Thanks. I took her a tube in August and that’s gone already.
    If only people’s passion could be confined to what is best to spread on their toast. The sadness in France is beyond imagining. P

Where’d everyone go? 😆

I’m here…fasting…can’t talk…walking… ?P

I’m fasting too Purple. Got on the scales this morning and I was at trigger point – nothing like a bit of motivation ?

I wasn’t much better Carol. Just drinking what seems my 300th cuppa ? Not long now for you and me. Poor Thin has to add 3 hours. ? P

Except I’m not fasting today Purple. I have been really naughty and enjoyed an ice coffee with ice cream while at a cafe with a few of my neighbours (I didn’t know it came with ice cream but I wasn’t complaining either).

Ha ha, well I’m at trigger point but, given my weight has been higher recently, it’s perhaps not the motivation it should be!

I may fast later in the week or, given the recent overeat on the day after, I may just semi-fast instead and see how that affects hunger. I still haven’t seen the science behind quarter TDEE, and half TDEE is still a fair reduction!

Thin, that coffee sounds good. Only 7 degrees here this morning, so not really ice cream weather… Have another one for me 🙂

Happy – I like your reasoning! 7 degrees is chilly indeed – will it be any warmer in the Algarve or Southern Spain do you think?

A riddle for Monday morning (which occurred to me when sitting idly contemplating last evening):

– most of us on here seem to have a TDEE somewhere between 1200 and 1800, as far as I can tell. I don’t think we’re a particularly sedentary, nor undersized, weedy lot. So why do all the ‘official (eg NHS) diet advice books / sites quote 2000 as ‘normal’ calorie intake for a ‘normal’ woman? Just wondering….could this be a factor in general levels of obesity?

Hi Fast
    You could be right about 2000 calories making us fat. ??

Happy, I think that Cinque may be right in that I don’t drink enough water on non fast days. I will make a serious effort to drink more. Not the Purple kind. ??

I’m on the road again. We drove 400 km today. And another 400 km tomorrow. I must say this retirement is a wonderful thing. ??. I worked out that I was away from home 20 weeks out of 52 over the last year. No wonder I have trouble posting regularly. ???? I will be thinking of all the travellers over the next weeks.
    ??
    Cheers, Bay ?

Are you having a dig at me, Bay ? …hic…?????
    Totally agree regarding 2000 cals, Fast. It is a ridiculous amount of food for proper sized people.
    My fast today was dead easy (25 hours of not hungry) then an unexpected catchup with a forum buddy. I could hardly not eat in the circumstances. Took her to a modern burger joint that has tasty burgers on low carb buns. Btw Bay, the Aussie white wine went down a treat too. And we’ve done 17000 steps today. ? Enjoy your road trip. P

It took me quite a while to catch up on last week’s posts. I am glad Goosey that you have got over your terrible experience.

Back from Cornwall and the weather wasn’t half as bad as forecast. A tip for you Purple – never look at the forecast – it only spoils the expectant joy. Just bring enough warm and water proof gear and be surprised. I managed an hour of walking every day, didn’t fast and managed to not put on weight.

However: I am still 1kg above my desired weight and am not yet giving in and accept my current weight as my maintenance weight. I will try until Christmas (including Advent challenge) and reassess after Christmas.

Fasting today and it is lunch time – I am hungry but I think I can hold out. Have a great week all of you.

Fast, I agree with you, 2000cals is for women who are 6ft tall and do lots of exercise. My TDEE with light exercise ie (1 hr walk every day) is 1450 but I am only 5ft 3, I think the average lady at our age with light exercise has a TDEE of about 1600 cals.

Well if I’m moderately active my TDEE is 1957.

So in summer, if I’m running/ cycling/ walking every day, and definitely when I’m on a walking holiday, I would be a ‘normal’ woman.

However, now the days are short and I’m far more sedentary I’m forced to conclude I’m abnormal ?

Ah, but Happy you are a mere youngster at under 50 years and you are almost 6 ft :-))

Thanks for the tip Lichtle! I agree. Ignore the forcast. It’s actually going to be a heatwave in Scotland next week ? P

Joke, P. But enjoy it anyway!

Are you in UK for Christmas Purple and do you have grandkids over there?

Happy – confession to make you feel better – as I’ve diminished, so has my TDEE, which with the advent of Autumn and a DH who hates his mobey scooter when it’s cold and wet wants to be taken by car, is about 1350, 1400 . I find 350 calls almost impossibly low – most of my FDs are around the 500 mark – and if I do a second one in the week, it may be 650. I only go stricter if the weight starts to creep back up – (but I do weigh every day, and don’t delay if I can see it starting.). So, not textbook quarter of TDEE, by any means. But it seems to work – as you say, it’s still a fairly solid reduction, and while it might not be enough to lose weight, or to reverse diabetes (thank goodness, not my problem – so much admiration for Mr P!) it seems to be enough for maintenance. It would be interesting to compare the health benefits, once at maintenance weight, of one really strict FD a week versus two more lax ones, but I don’t think you need be too concerned about being a bit less strict for a while – you can always revert to lower numbers if you need to.

Yes Carol. White/cold and wet (?) Christmas. And I’m excited! No grandkids there, just adult children and other relatives.
    Our grandies are in Aus. P ☺

P,

I think the rain will be a given! But as to the rest…? Here in the north west we’re forecast another storm Tuesday/ Wednesday, then plummeting temperatures at the weekend with snow on high ground.

Fast,

I haven’t always been strictly quarter TDEE on fast days, sometimes 1/3 to 1/2 but, at maintenance and with lower processed carbs, it’s often good enough!

My last few fasts, when I’ve struggled the next day, have been lower calorie and with very little food during the day and one meal in the evening. I think perhaps I should revert to less extreme and see how I get on.

Lichtle,

Nice to have you back. Good work on maintaining while you were away. All set for the advent challenge…?

Viewing 50 posts - 5,851 through 5,900 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.