The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,951 through 6,000 (of 11,673 total)

• Purple, so glad you’re enjoying Edinburgh. I tried to see it once: got ill on our first night there and asked by the doctor I saw the next morning whether I’d prefer to run for home, stopping every 30 minutes to walk and rest, or risk being hospitalised 48 hours later in Edinburgh. The thought of stranding DH (we only had accommodation for 3 days) meant we took the first option, and I got treatment when I got home, so Edinburgh remains an ambition – I envy you, and am inspired by you and Bay to try again…
    I’ve only just discovered Ian Rankin, but Val MC Dermid has a nice bloodthirsty book set there, as has Kate Atkinson – guaranteed to enhance your time there!

Bay, you are mega- good, starting 6 days earlier than you need to! We’ve been Christmas stocking’ shopping for the kids and (adult) grandkids today – all agreed on ‘no big presents, but a stocking with something tiny for each of the 12 days’. Most things small and useful – pens, mini-torches, mugs etc, but some wine and sweeties, made smaller by splitting packs. Fatal! One or two extras from the split packs have disappeared during the counting and allocating – and at the end of a FD, too! I shall be joining you in penance on Saturday, rather than waiting till Sunday. Can’t actually say I’m looking forward to it this time (having carefully avoided them for years,some helpful friend has just given us an Advent calendar with chocolates!) but I know I need to do it – my sugar intake is creeping back up. Not showing on the scales yet – but that raises the question: if I’m eating empty calories and not gaining weight, what proper nutrition am I doing without?

Interesting TV prog earlier this week -‘Dr in the House’ BBC1 – involving very appealing young medic moving in with a family for a month, to assess and assist with medical issues. First instalment focused on middle aged guy with type 2 diabetes and appalling diet. Medic’srecommendation for healthiest diet – for whole family, not just diabetic guy – ‘fish, nuts, eggs, fruit, veg’ – (plus a few – very few – unrefined carbs and some fats/oils. No refined carbs, no added sugar.made me realise I’m not as virtuous as I thought I was.

Hi Fast,

I saw that programme also, and he got the diabetic fasting and doing HIIT too! The contents of their kitchen cupboards were pretty shocking though before the diet! Very little without added sugar.

Have you also seen in the news again that malnutrition is on the rise? Although the government say it’s probably not an increase in malnutrition, rather an increase in diagnosis…! They’re such a bunch of… Anyway, beware, with your empty calories! We don’t want you becoming a statistic.

If you are looking for books set in Edinburgh, Quintin Jardine is great. And changing genres, Alexander McCall Smith is fabulous. Try his No.1 Ladies Detective Agency !!

Happy, I find the miso gets me through the day, too, til my evening salad or soup. Looks like it will be salad for a while, on the request of OH, who currently buys a soup for lunch on FDs, and is asking for a change.

Hi Happy

So far so good after the long sleep. No head issues. Having lots of Parmesan cheese and soup today. I’m already into the Brazil nuts nibble, and once again they taste sweet.

Cheers, Bay. Very sunny here. ??

Wow. You are such a virtuous lot. Well done gang.
    I could spend my whole time here reading Edinburgh based literature. I have a great lit walk in central old and New Town that covers myriad writers. The place is dripping with them.
    I read Val McDermid’s modern Northanger Abbey recently. It is set here during the festival.
    Mr P reads the more action based authors like Rankin. Alex McCall Smith wrote for the Austen Project too.
    Keep up the good eating folks. I’m off to catch up with another forum “girl” today Cheers P

Hi Fast, sorry to read about your unpleasant Edinburgh experience. Can you go back to make up for it soon?

I don’t think I can go without carbs (exept on fast days) Whenever I do I just don’t feel full at the end of the day and start searching for something to take that strange carb hunger away and end up eating ravenously and without restrain including sugar. I need to have carbs like potatoes, (wholegrain) bread, rice once a day on a non fast day to avoid the indiscrimnate dreadful carb hunger – it is the kind of hunger that makes me ravenous even though by fasting day standards I am not really hungry.

Yeasterday, I blew my fast as I had a small plain yoghurt and linseeds at 4.30 pm and when I got home I thought I would just have a tomato and mozzarella with basil salad with one small piece of toast. That was it….. I didn’t feel much different after that so I cooked some mixed vegetables (quite a bit) and still didn’t feel much different and then proceeded to eat 3 pieces of toast (some with jam). Out of frustration I ate 50g of mixed nuts. Trying to stop the hunger on a fast day is futile for me and if I am still hungry after eating, then there is no point in eating for me.

No sugar for me today. I have solved my excessive nut eating by decanting the 200 bag into smaller 50g bags of which I only take one with me to work. Whilst they are filling – it takes too long for that sensation to kick in by which time I have eaten over half the packet.

Have a great day everyne.

@happy, I have been aware of a persistent problem of malnutrition especially in children in the developed world for a long time (20+years) and I believe that this is something that was just not very much talked about in the past in the same way as domestic and child abuse as well as slavery in the 21st century was only a fringe subject. It seems to me that because obesity has become a serious financial problem for society that we seem to write about it now. Sad really.

Hi Lichtle,

Sorry to hear your fast day went awry. I know what you mean about no point having a meal if you aren’t satiated, but funnily enough that doesn’t bother me on a fast day, and the evenings are not a danger time for me – always mid afternoon at the computer!

Re: malnutrition. Yes, it’s always been around, and the signs probably are picked up more now. My frustration with the government is their complete inability to acknowledge that their policies might be adding to the problem!

Thanks, Lichtle foor getting my day off to a giggling start. Puts my couple of chocolate teddies into proportion! Will you have another go,nor just write it off to experience?

I agree, totally carb-free is really tough (and possibly not as healthy as we imagine?) I certainly can’t do it. We need some carbs for warmth and energy, especially as winter approaches – I’m sure the carb-cravings are out bodies’ way of telling us that. I just make sure my carbs are unrefined, meaning they satisfy for longer, and at the same time supply some vits, mins and fibre. (Similarly with sugar – I guess you could compare the intrinsic sugars to unrefined carbs, and the added sugar to processed, refined ones – which is why you and I will eat fruit during Advent, but not sweeties!) Even so, I can’t be completely pure (and not entirely sure I want to – that way lies obsession, I suspect – but just try to stay low – yes, I too parcel things into virtuously-sized portions – and rein myself in regularly. Thank goodness for FDs (never thought I’d write that!)

Happy, fret not: I promise not to become a statistic – nor a ‘mushroom’! Too b****y minded for that!

@fast, I am glad I made you feel better about your paltry little chocolates :-))

Whenever I fail a fast, I have to re-attempt two days later so as not to get into the failure/discouraged trap. So today, is a TDEE day. My best fasts recently have been Fridays, I know I won’t blow that. (Ha, ha I am already programming myself for success) Waking up on Saturday after a full fast is great and it helps (a little) to tone down on Saturdays when I have too much access to my kitchen.

Like Fast, I am acutely aware that I have to be very careful about malnutrition due to my sugar craving and eating lots of empty calories. A bar of chocolate is over a third of my TDEE. That is the thing with malnutrition it is not only a just problem of the underweight population but also of normal and overweight people. Also it affects the educated as well as the uneducated.

@happy, I am not quite sure what the government should be doing? I would be pretty upset if I was regulated by the government on my choices of food.

Hi Fast

My extra sugar intake has definitely shown up on the scales, which is why I’ve begun the challenge. Made an apple crumble for OH today and didn’t taste it. Then I watched The Great Australian Bake Off. Fabulous food. A show not to be watched on a fast day. ?

I look forward to my fast days, as I do better not eating at all than trying to restrict myself. I am only carb free on fast days.

Cheers, Bay ?

Hi Lichtle and Fast.

You made me think about my sugar intake, and I can say that I have never again pigged out on lollies (candy) since we did the Easter sugar free challenge. ????

However, I do indulge in the occasional piece of cake, or dessert or pastries, or GF bread, or iced coffee and pizza.

This is an aha moment. ?? I realise that I focus on my failings and what I still want to achieve, rather than how far I’ve come.

So thank you for giving me the realisation that my sugar problem is less than it was pre Easter.

Cheers, Bay ??

Well done @Bay, what great restrain making apple crumble without tasting AND watching baking programme
    I agree, not eating is easier on fast days. Lots. salty stock or boullion is a great help.

Hi Lichtle,

What could the government do?

Food poverty and malnutrition are more common in certain groups, including those of lower socioeconomic status, the elderly, those with mental health issues, etc. So ending austerity, which squeezes people who can least afford it whilst simultaneously shrinking essential public services, might be a start. And more generally, striving for a more equitable and caring society rather than encouraging selfishness and profit-chasing! Education would also be somewhere where the government could usefully intervene, if they actually gave a stuff about anyone other than themselves and their rich mates!

Here in the north we’ll be lucky if there’s a workhouse let alone a powerhouse going forward…

But Happy, you’ve clearly misunderstood: these things are necessary in order to protect the god-given right of the rich to inherit squill ions, tax-free (is there an emoji for ‘major sarcasm mixed with cynicism and despair’?) and to return society to the days when the poor were too uneducated to ask questions, and too weak & unhealthy to do more than pull forelocks to their ‘betters’. Money doesn’t grow on trees, you know, and it’s so much better in the pockets of those who wont spend it on fripperies like food and tampons!

Whilst I don’t agree with using a forum to express political opinions, I would just ask if either of you would kindly point me to a labour/communist leaning society which doesn’t have any of those problems.

I was a minimum income, single mother with three children under the previous labour government and I don’t believe that I was a richer poor person than any equivalent single mother today. Rich and poor exist anywhere. The gulf between the rich and the poor in Russia and China or closer by France is even greater.

Due to my not holding a British passport I have never voted in any general election in the UK but I have been here long enough (30years) to know that there has not been a distinction between the haves and have nots over time.

Luckily I am no longer poor, helped by no children at home and I would be quite happy to pay more taxes, but I would much prefer to be able to have a say what the money is spent on. Failing that I would rather give my money out of my own free will to the causes that are close to my heart.

Lichtle,

I can’t point you to a Labour/ communist society that doesn’t have those problems, but that’s a red herring in any case. The fact that there is a yawning chasm between the richest and the poorest in other societies doesn’t make it right here. It makes it wrong everywhere.

And no, lining your own pockets and looking after your own when you’re in power isn’t the sole preserve of the Tories! But even if things wouldn’t necessarily be better, and might be worse, under another ruling party doesn’t make current policy and direction right. The lesser of two evils is still evil…

Rhetorically and theoretically you are of course totally right Happy but unfortunately poverty is not theoretical but practical and therefor your answer is a cop out for me.

Pointing to governments is a cop out as there is, as you admit, no perfect system and therefore we chase our tail. It is always easy to blame anybody but ourselves. “We are the lesser evil” “We are society” not the few rich everywhere who line their pockets. Throughout history, changes in society have always been made by ordinary people helping each other. I had lovely friends who helped me not with money but with small things and kindness.

So if we see something that needs doing or see someone who needs help then we need to point the finger at ourselves.

Lichtle, sorry if my rant upset you – I agree with you, actually, that this isn’t the space for party politics, which is why so far I’ve stayed bland. But my comments werent party political – in the sense that any party in power behaving in this way would provoke my fury. Just so happens that this lot are Tories – it would still be iniquitous, whoever it was! I was privileged, 50+ years ago, to have a brilliant history teacher who opened my eyes to the struggle it took, from the industrial revolution in, to create a society where people’s most basic needs were met:I’m desperately sad to see it being unraveled, bit by bit, in ways which will make it virtually impossible to build again. I’ve been fortunate never to have been a single parent — I salute your courage and perseverance – but I have been a very low income one,and tried to be of help to a lot more – so it’s not purely theoretical. I recognise that injustice can happen under regimes of any leaning – but at the moment it is what it is, and I can’t ignore the wrong being done, in whosever name. It didn’t start as a party broadcast, honest – just a response to H’s response to your question ‘what could a government do?’ – to which my reply would be ‘plenty, actually – by stuff which benefits everyone, please!’

I don’t say it is all the fault of government, but treating the symptoms without addressing the cause is a short-term solution.

@happy, sorry, I didn’t understand your last sentence.

@fast, noone has upset me, honestly and I know that all of us have the best intentions and good will for our fellow human beings at heart. It is just what angle we are coming from.

Maybe my aversion to institution blaming comes from growing up in a small village where the ones critisising that “the local council” “the church” etc should be doing more… were never the ones who were actually there to help or join any committees to address the situation. I would be surprised if you, Fast didn’t experience this when you were working in the church.

With you there, Lichtle – we all know them, and I know exactly who and what you mean!
    My point isn’t at all that governments should do it all – just that lawswhich they do make should aim to contribute to making the unjust lottery of gifts (brains, beauty, natural aptitude, upbringing, financial privilege etc) with which we are blessed or otherwise at birth less determinant of whether we are warm, healthy, fed, housed and educated – the basic necessities of civilised life and the ability to make one’s own progress in it – in later life. No amount of law will ever eliminate that initial lottery, but to take a current example, I agree that the benefitS system needs an overhaul, and I’ve known people who abused it – but I’ve also known people who desperately need it through no fault of their own, and others who glory in ‘arranging’ their affairs so as to pay way less than they should in taxes: to see one group constantly scapegoated as ‘scroungers’ , while the other benefits from favourable rules, a ‘blind eye’ or laws which reward unearned good luck like big inheritances, causes me pain, whichever shade of government is making, enforcing, or failing to enforce, the rules. Like you, I would happily pay more tax to be sure of better, more equal services~ paying tax is surely a privilege, as it indicates that we have enough to be able to contribute to the community we are part of. It does seem that to say ‘I’d rather decide for myself whiCh serviCes to buy with my own cash’ is only possible for those who have the money to spend – which effectively shuts out from those services those without it for ever.
    Again – sorry if my sarcastic tone hit the wrong note – I can get carried away by my own verbosity! – but I do relish a good robust discussion, as long as it’s understood that it doesn’t become personal, and it’s OK to disagree and still remain friends!

@fast, I agree with you – there is a lot of real hardship out there and people who are terribly in need and struggling to make ends meet and need more help and the system should be improved.

However this is NOT how the conversation started. Before this turned into a socio political discussion, we were talking about malnutrition. As I stated above, I still maintain, that malnutrition is not just an issue of money but often of life choices and convenience and is as prevalent in the well off classes (who go for take away several times a week) as in the poorer sections of society. (I sympathise with those as I too had to resort quite a bit on pasta, flour and eggs when my children were young.)

For some reason lack of education doesn’t quite wash with me in today’s age where there is a television in every house with programmes, mentioned above, educating on this subject all the time.

Agree with you about nutritional education, L – though ironically, refined carbs are still much cheaper than unrefined ( my offspring grew up on pasta, with home-grown eggs and veg, too: I knew enough to know that the unrefined sort is more sustaining and nourishing, so smaller quantities were fine, but I guess you don’t know that till you try it, so you go for what looks as if it will fill bellies..) Absolutely agree with you that failure to understand or apply the principles of healthy eating is as prevalent among the rich as the poor. Where we went off on a tangent, I think, was the implied assertion that the means to afford a healthy diet – ie a decently paid job – is often dependent on age, health, etc – which in turn are often related to a wider education – as is the ability to defer gratification, which often determines food choices. I suppose two principles cross here: one, that I think people’s ability to make good choices, however much they know, can be constrained by circumstances not of their choosing; and two, that a society which ceases to see higher education as a community good, and therefore worthy of coming from community funds, and starts to treat it as an individual asset whose main aim is to open access to highly paid work and individual benefit, is going backwards. I guess this is that awkward borderline where individual responsibility and politics start to mingle – and where it’s easy to segue from one to the other without noticing crossing the border!

? If you knew how often I (without a university degree) had to read this ? but I won’t prolong this discussion any longer to the relief of our fellow mantainers. ? You should have become a politician…I like it – very eloquent.

Ok,L -pax! All done!

I haven’t been able to have a full fast day this week ( I will tomorrow!) but my semi fasts have worked out great. When I’ve had lunch or dinner out this week I’ve had a salad for the other meal (I dont eat breakfast) and Im loosing about 200gms a day. Thanks for all your encouragement 🙂

Well done Judy. Semi fasts are a surprisingly effective maintenance tactic short term. I’m basically doing the same at present. I will say, with the buildings here kept so warm, and rugging up to go outside, I’m much less hungry than at home in winter. Not a bad thing! And we all know the warming drinks contain no calories ? P

For some time now, I have been aware that I was spending far too much time on my computer/tablet almost as if I couldn’t be without…addicted to information and communication. With the onset of Advent and my challenge to do without sugar, I am going to reduce my computer, social media use, too and will at least for the time being leave this forum.

When Purple announced a few months ago that she had nothing more to contribute, I had to admit that I was thinking exactly the same. Yet, being part of a forum chat somehow gave the illusion of being connected to other people even if they were not exactly friends. But I knew I was fooling myself. In a forum you can only really talk very superficially, voicing complex opinions and views in a few sentences is not possible for me. So difference of opinions on a site like this look like arguments and very awkward.

I have enjoyed over a year on this forum but, I don’t have anything more to add, apart from reporting failed or successful fasts and maybe some personal food revelation.

I am grateful and thankful to each and everyone for your companionship over this last year and I can assure both Happy and Fast that my leaving is not because of our posts. I am not in any way upset or annoyed but grateful because it has shown me my own limitations in written communication and the futility of social media for me. I shall stick to face to face discussions and maybe drop in sometime next year to say hello. All the best to you all and a very blessed Advent and Christmas. 😉

Lichtle, I for one shall be very sorry indeed to lose you, and apologise sincerely if my posts have contributed in any way to making you aware of what you see as your ‘limitations’. I think they’re a false perception, which I don’t see at all – if I’d thought you had any, I would have avoided any argument beyond the simplest, so as not to point them up, rather than bangiing on into a discussion with a more-than-equal opponent! – and I’ve always found your posts encouraging, funny and friendly – a very valuable voice on the forum.

I do understand, though, what you say about social media: it’s hard, sometimes to get the tone right, because we don’t have the advantage of non-verbal cues (though I have noticed that here people are mostly quick to make and accept apologies when necessary, so it stays largely friendly) and you’re right that they can take over your life if you’re not careful. This the only ‘social’ site I’m part of – but when I found myself checking it each morning before greeting DH, it made me think – which is why I go ‘awol’ for a few days every so often.

If you really feel you have to leave, thank you for the good chats, and do enjoy the advent challenge (I shall miss you!). But it would be nice to think you’d pop in occasionally.

Thank you @fast, for your very kind words, but I am most sincere when I say that it has nothing to do with anybody but myself. It has only highlighted to me that I need to curb my ego and computer consumption. I didn’t like how I felt afterwards and felt I was curt to Happy in the heat. So apologies, please and I am sure in a few months I will stick my head in again. All the best.

See you soon, please!

Lichtle, I have loved your posts, I don’t know how to tell you how much you have kept me going through my ups and downs, So thank you, Goosey x

I’m another one who will miss your input, Lichtle. I contribute little, but read often, and hope you won’t desert us entirely. 🙂

I too enjoy your contributions L. As you can see, I didn’t last long away from the forum because I truly believe we DO have a lot in common. I have now met 8 people from the forum and have found every one of them interesting and genuinely friends. I value what we gain from our interactions, be it idle chat, hard hitting references to latest research or daily reports on eating successes and slip ups.
    Have a break and come back whenever you just want to touch base. Someone will be here. ?
    BTW, I’m sitting by a fire in a hotel in the Western Isles of Scotland. Rain drizzling down outside, salmon, salad and wine served with crisp linen. Pretty hard to take! ? P

Hi Lichtle,

I too am sorry to see you leave, but I understand your reasons!

Discussions are difficult and stilted, and each of us drops in and out because of real life with no warning, leaving others wondering what happened and if it was something they said.

Hopefully you’ll do a P…say you’re leaving and then come back 🙂

And how will we know how your advent challenge is going if you’re AWOL?

Anyway, it’s your decision, so I wish you all the best. See you soon…?

I too am sad to hear you are leaving Lichtle but appreciate you advising us of your intention and why.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts. So often when you wrote about your fasting experiences, your attitudes and relationships to food, I would think to myself it could be me writing that! Sometimes I would be hesitant about posting because I would think my post too silly but would think I bet Lichtle will understand this and it gave me the courage to press the submit button.

I have enjoyed the at times robust discussions that occur on here because they make me think! The women on here are very intelligent strong minded women (have had some men contribute too) who make excellent points and arguments for various points of view.

I wish you every success with your advent challenge! Please let us know how you are going because we are your strongest support group when it comes to fasting – we are all in the same boat.

Blessimgs Lichtle ?

Purple, it’s clearly a rotten job, but someone has to do it, so who better than you? Have you started on the whisky yet?

Well Fast, we did do a distillery tour, but I don’t actually like whisky ?. I am, however, working my way across Scotland testing the various mulled wines on offer….a very important job, I’m sure you’d agree ?

Dear Lichtle

I’ve just caught up on my reading on this thread, and realised you have left us. Im sorry I didn’t get to say au revoir. I do hope you come back soon. I shall miss your contributions over the next month in particular.

I am having trouble being strictly sugar free and Advent has only just begun. ??. I suspect I’m having trouble because this time I decided to eat fruit. I have eaten blueberries each day this week, and mangoes on two days; this makes rather a big sugar hit each day.

Better luck next week, I say. Come back soon, Lichtle, I shall miss you. This is the only forum I contribute to. Like Purple I have stated at other times that I would leave the forum, but have always come back, as I like the people on here, you included.

Cheers, Bay ?

Bay, like you and Purple I’ve said I would leave the forum. Having seemingly disgraced myself on another thread – too honest for some people’s taste – I’ve done just that and also dropped out of the FB group. As a number of good cyber-buddies, including you and Purple,whom I’ve been lucky enough to meet face to face – and what lovely ladies you are 🙂 – , and others as yet unmet, like Happy, post on the maintenance thread, I thought I’d quietly slip round the door and join in the fun. Lichtle, you are also among those who have been kind and sympathetic.

I think I qualify as a maintainer as I’m maintaining whether I like it or not – stuck on two long plateaux since August last year, although I’ve dropped by a kilo or so during 2015. 🙁 At least that’s what the scales tell me BUT the mirror, the 2- or in some cases, 3-size drop in dress size, according to what sort of garment, Him Indoors and several friends and family members, all tell me a different story. Most importantly of all, I haven’t gained an ounce despite some occasional (sometimes extreme) naughtiness.

Hi Hermaj (suitable royal bow), I have considered you a maintainer for a long time. I think most of us found we reached a point we regarded as “goal”, then gradually dropped some more.
    You look pretty good to me, and you haven’t gained, so that’s ‘maintaining’. Great to have you back. P x

Nice to be back, Purple. It will be great to commune with old mates and to meet some new ones.

I’ve always thought of Maintainers as a very enlightened bunch with lots of interesting things to say, among whom I feel very comfortable. It seems I missed a lively political ding-dong.

I should have come here immediately after the debacle in the late summer rather than creeping away into the corner like our old moggy, the original Hermaj, used to do when she was fed up. Hope you are keeping warm and dry in the nasty UK weather. H. xx

Sitting by a log fire with the rain beating down outside. Funnily we don’t seem to be eating much, despite the cool weather.P

Hermaj,

About bl**dy time 🙂

We have an old moggy… adopted at 16, now 18. She doesn’t do slinking away, she does stomping after you and vociferous complaining. She does Paddington stares. She doesn’t back down til she’s got her way. She’s mean when she’s hungry, and she’s permanently hungry! She knows exactly how much food she needs and it’s generally a bit more than we think should be a sufficiency.

She’s probably the kind of old lady I aspire to be! She knows her own mind. She won’t compromise. She’ll annoy you into submission 🙂

Hi Happy,

Why it never occurred to me to come here sooner I don’t know. A much more civilised and tolerant place. Absolutely no regrets about jumping ship from the other lot. Sure I slunk off – a bit shocked at the drubbing I received, to tell the truth.
    Usually I’m much more like your old moggy, stomping around – literally and metaphorically – and letting rip with colourful expletives. That’s much more me.

Hi, Hermaj – we haven’t ‘met’ before, so welcome. You’ obviously already know some people here, and you’ll have gathered that there are several of us practising to be like Happy’s moggy when we’re old. (Some of us are nearly there – almost old, and increasingly stroppy. ) And some of us have DHs who ask ‘why do you need to practise ?’
    I don’t think any of us goes out of her way deliberately to cause upset or hurt – I’m actually rather bad at conflict, backing off until there’s no alternative but to come out fighting, and only really letting rip over issues and principles which really matter to me. I’m still feeling a bit shamefaced about what you describe as the ‘ding dong’, if I’m honest. But you’re right: this is a good place for sharing opinions on all sorts of things – weight maintenance seems to involve lots of tangents – so come on in and enjoy it. Good to meet you!

Hi Hermaj

Welcome aboard. So nice to see you again. I look forward to your forthright and witty opinions on most things. ????

I’m on my version of maintenance which has been a different journey to the lovely Purple and Mr P who are keeping steady. Maybe it’s time for a kick up the backside, P, but somehow I think Summer torpor is in full swing here. ??

I looked back over my Tracker on this website, and it shows a steady steps and stairs descent from January to July 2014 from a size 16 to a size 10-11. That stayed even for 12 months, allowing for a very short blip after Christmas indulgences. However, since July 2015, I have added back 3 kg and am now happily maintaining at size 12. I am keeping a sharp eye on this extra weight.

Maybe I’m having the sabbatical from 5:2 that Samm described, but I’m usually doing 6:1 while watching what I eat. No added sugar. Lots of fish, vegetables and fruit and nuts. Some meat once a week.

Cheers, all, on your very own journey of one. ?? Bay

I guess it depends Bay on wether or not you’re happy with where you are now! Experience has shown that you cAn get lower if you so wish but whatever weight you are you are still getting the health benefits of 6:1.

I have to admit to watching Dr PHIL, who has just bought out a new diet book. He refers to our set weight, the concept of which we have touched on here before. I believe there is some ceredibility to the theory. I find it very easy to maintain at 58-60, usually averaging low 59’s. I can get down to low 58’s but maintaining it is hard work.

Could you have reaxjed your set point at size 12?

Welcome hermajtomomi!

Hi FastFastSlow and Carolann,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thank you, too Bay, especially for describing me as “forthright and witty”. I never realised it only took you from January to July 2014 to drop from size 16 to 10-11. A spectacularly good result.

Fast, I can definitely be described as “old”. I’ve been around a long time but it wasn’t until I’d qualified for a bus pass that I began to perfect the art of stroppiness, especially when faced with the sort of patronisation meted out to people, especially women, of a certain age, especially when, like me, they are under 5ft 2in. What I considered to be one-off rant went on to start a thread on that subject way back when. You’ll see it if you happen to check my profile.

It was naughty of me to describe the perfectly reasonable and heartfelt debate between you and others as a “ding-dong”, which made it all sound trivial. For the record, I tend to lean leftwards but I also try to listen to reason from any direction. While the obvious common ground between us all is concern about weight and health in general, the debates, conversations and anecdotes (some of them hilarious, others heart-wrenching) on all sorts of subjects are what make threads like this one special.

One question. On your profile you mentioned 90% dark chocolate. Where do you find such a treat? The best I’ve been able to track down thus far is 74%.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,951 through 6,000 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.