HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Jayegirl

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I had a really bad knee strain and was off of work for 3 weeks. 1 week in bed enforced rest as it was so bad. That was on doctors orders. before the injury I exercised and when I got a bit of pain I decided I wasn’t going to give up at the first hurdle…….my advice is now listen to your body!

I still played table tennis on Wii sports sitting on a computer chair after a couple of weeks. I played it for about 30 minutes at a time.

You can buy a second hand console for £10.50 upwards on eBay.

I used to work with disabled students who used to use the wii fit game with a walker. The Wii fit game is addictive at first and I did it to get them out of their chair. I have to say it is not serious exercise, but it is better than nothing. I lost weight doing it!

I hope you find something. Maybe ask the doctor about exercise classes for people with back problems, if you are quite overweight doctors are usually very willing to help. I can’t speak highly enough about my doctor.

Good luck with finding something.

Ginette

Wow I will look on eBay! Figured they are hundreds of pounds.

I won’t go to a class because I have to wear a 3 inch heal to walk. I have no muscle tone and no dorsol flex in my foot so I can’t wear flats, the heal gives me a more normal heel toe action though I still have a slight limp. I’ve terribke balance, I’m sure I look drunk sometimes lol. I used to go to Aqua but the struggle to get the splint on that I need so I don’t go over and crack my ankle just makes it impossible to go now. So a wi game would be great, even sitting I would still get some cardiac benefit from it.

Btw, I am in the north west, just outside of Lancashire but have lived all over.

It would be nice to put picture up of ourselves in here, for those of us that want to. Put a face to chat, I would add the pic that pushed me to the edge when I saw how fat I looked.

Now the Wii U had come out they have reduced in price. The Wii is just as good as the Wii U. Sports resort is the one that the table tennis was on and Wii fit is the other one with lots of things on. See if you can look them up online and then you will know what is in them.

One I really enjoy is exerbeat I just adjust the exercises to suit myself. Eg only do the arm movements not the leg as well. It passed the time when I was off of work ill and also made me feel as if I was doing something positive.

I lost quite a lot of weight just with the Wii nearly a couple of stone. I didn’t even diet. It changed my eating habits as for some strange reason I didn’t eat as much chocolate as before and wasn’t drawn to so much sweet stuff.

I can see that although short term it was good as soon as I finished, I started putting on weight. Hopefully when I am back into it I will have the right elements in place with the 5:2 to keep me on the right track and stop me putting on weight.

Let me know if you find one. It is a shame that we don’t get the option to email through this site.

I am as far south as you can get.

We can encourage each other with the exercise.

Ginette

Hi all you inspirational, lovely ladies ! I too have a lot of weight to lose, over 100 lbs. when faced with that much, it’s pretty hard to be optimistic about your chances of success. The way I’m trying to look at it is like this—— every single pound that comes off your body makes breathing, walking, housekeeping, dressing etc. a little bit easier. So each and every day is making your life a little more comfortable. So this way, every morning is a bit more exciting than the day before, and brings you another step closer to your goal. That may sound silly but it’s starting to work for me. I just don’t want to make life more difficult so I tend to be careful about sticking to it. I’m also faced with numerous health issues which are directly associated with my obesity. I have high blood pressure, high colesteral, pinched nerves in my neck, arthritis in my back, knees, ankles, and hips, sciatica, blocked veins in both legs, hiatus hernia, and a fatty liver, and type 2 diabetes. I can barely climb the stairs and exercise is practically impossible. One might think that with all of this, I would have done something about my weight long ago, but as we all know, it’s ever so much easier said than done. This is why I’m so thrilled to have started this long journey, and why you are now so important to my overall success. Sharing our ups and downs ( literally as well as figuratively ) is exactly what I’ve missed in every other diet I’ve attempted over the years. I never had the urge to get up during a weight watchers meeting because I was too shy to bare my soul while in public. But talking to you has given me the confidence to push forward and hopefully succeed in the end. Take care everyone Fran

Hi Fran

So sorry to hear about your health problems. It is true even some weight off would help. If you do well on this diet you could help the diabetes greatly. I am thankful that I don’t have it although I am a prime candidate for it. Exercise can be difficult but I swear by the Wii. They have exercises on there which last about 2 or 3 minutes.

Join a few of these together and they add up. I started on this it also calculates calories used up which was a real incentive. I would set myself a weekly target (quite low at first) and then build it up over a few weeks. I did really well on it and the target gave me an incentive.

Worth a go. I looked up second hand Wiis on eBay and they are selling for )10.50 and up.

Good luck on your journey.

When I start exercising I will post my results as I haven’t lost any weight this week maybe it is time to start……

Ginette

Morning/afternoon Ladies.

Welcome Fran, sorry to hear about your health issues but fantastic to hear you are in the right mind set to now do something about it. As Ginny (can never spell Ginette) without checking it lol, said it will help with your diabeties. I am presently staving off diabeties, other family members have it. Like you I have arthritis and pain walking, stairs etc and even with 11ilbs down I can now get my socks on without a sock aid lol. Losing some weight around my middle means even though I can’t bend my knee I can reach my foot!!!

I think you have a great attitude Fran and wish you the best of luck.

Ginny I can’t find a wii at that price. I think you are finding ones on auction? The cheapest I see are £40 for a basic consol with nothing with it. About £70 with the accessories. Not in my budget at the moment so will have to put money aside. Looking forward to your exercise updates.

I’m off to the doctors, fingers crossed that my bloods show I’m a little further away from becoming a diabetic, it is only a matter of time if I don’t keep losing.

Btw for everyone that gained over the weekend, I gained a well deserved 2lbs for my sins. Copious amounts of wine on Saturday along with a Chinese take out. I thouroughly enjoyed it though as I haven’t had any naughty food like that for months. I’m more than happy that this week I will have to make do with taking that back off. And a at least I know I can take it off!!

Good luck all, today is my fast day.

Oh Ginny, if you want to email me … jayeroberts@hotmail.com. Put Ginny in the title so I know its you. Have high security settings so will have to rescue from the junk box lol

Hi Jayegirl

Just sent you an email.

On my fast day today. I am sure that many of you are as well. Going to a pot of food in slow cooker to keep me going on non fast days. This used to work a treat. Lots of vegetables worked in and was really tasty.

The basis was 12% fat mince 500gm, 2 onions, frozen peppers, whole small button mushrooms, 2 tins of tomatoes, garlic, cauliflower (that takes on the taste of everything else) herbs and spices of your choice. I use fajita seasoning medium hot or hot. I know that probably seems strange but I have had Quorn occasionally and when I first started using it I found it didn’t have much flavour after adding many spices to it after experimentation I came across the fajita seasoning in the cupboard and it was really nice. I had only ever used it on chicken before. Also I add gravy powder.

Strange mix I know but much nicer than it sounds. I like to use things already in my cupboard. I served the meal with vegetables and occasionally a small potato. So I really did get my portions of veg!

If I was out out it was really easy. I separated it into two lots. Froze one and ate one during the week. I remember this was a good weight loss week. Perhaps because it was easy. Perhaps coincidence. Obviously add salt and whatever else you like to it.

The nicest meals I find arrive by accident. I do remember when I belonged to slimming world people talking about cauliflower a lot. It seems to take in other flavours. I like cauliflower but I know some people don’t.

Quorn has much lower fat and calorie content.

Good luck for this week all you healthier people out there.

Ginette

Jayegirl

To spell my name just think of Gin and tonic and then add ette on the end. It is easy that way.

Ginette

Thanks Ginette! That sounds lovely, I have a slower cooker for one! My worry is that it will make me hungry smelling it cooking all day? Have you worked out the calories for the whole pot?

I use all my calories for my main meal, I eat at 8pm then I have done a 24hr fast. So far I’m not suffering too badly on fast days. If I can’t get past the hunger pangs I have a miso soup for 18 calories about 5pm. I love this soup and because it’s beefy tasting it satiates me. Otherwise I drink just soda water and the odd Ginger & Lemon tea. I like to buy my meals on Sunday ready for Monday and Wednesday. It has to be something quick. Ive said before I buy the plastic pots of chinese food with noodles on the salad counter. It says heat in the microwave but I dry fry it. They are very tasty and I find them low enough in calories I can have a lot of green beans and broccoli and an apple after. I might try your one pot next week, or in fact in the week. I do love one pot meals and not had much mince since I started this. I just don’t like Quorn. I might buy a small bag of the frozen stuff, try it on a none fast day. I will fail if I make it on fast day and don’t feel I’ve had something satisfying.

Cauliflower is great in curries, it takes on the flavour very well and bulks the dish up.

I love hearing about quick, tasty low calorie but filling foods if anyone has any favourite dishes they want to share. My first 2 weeks I had 4 egg omelet with prawn and veg every fast day! I was so fed up of it by the end of the second week but it was bulky and filling.

Jaye

Hi Jayegirl

No I haven’t worked out calories as I use it Doris non fasting days. If you use it for fasting days maybe try Quorn as this is lower. I do the same as you and keep all calories until the evening.

If you weigh everything you club work it out.

I only weigh and calculate calories on fasting days. I do look at things I am buying on non fast days but as it is so long term I don’t want to calorie count to the last item as I do on fast days.

Let me know if you work it out. As I am making it tomorrow I might weigh it as a one off as you have made me curious.

Ginette

Hello All

I didn’t like the look of the quorn although I had heard so much about it that I wanted to try it. For those of you who have never tried it here is my experience:

Frozen Quorn looks good on the outside picture……contents look completely different a bit like a cardboard version of Bran Flakes. I carried on…… Read the instructions and was mindful of what people had told me it doesn’t have any flavour of its own so you have to add all of the flavour to it.

I did it in a big pot added 2 tins of tomatoes for 2 packets of Quorn. Added stock cubes, gravy and seasoning during cooking. I added mushrooms, peppers and onions also a can of kidney bean. Still not much flavour…….added some different herbs and spices, I can’t remember which, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, basil and rosemary are some of my favourites. I was told to leave it overnight as it always tastes better on the second day. The next day I had a portion, I ate it and it was still bland, the second portion didn’t improve it. At a loss I opened cupboard doors and saw fajita spice……well it couldn’t make it taste any worse (I had only ever used it for chicken before) I was so desperate and I try never to throw anything away…..so added the spice, really not expecting much……what a surprise, it was so tasty and something I looked forward to eating….really nice and such an improvement.

As you see my cooking wasn’t any particular style just my own. There are different levels of heatin the spices, mild, medium and hot. I use the medium and the hot one. It depends who is eating it with me.

If you have never tried this spice try it on chicken first. I use the red packet 50p in tesco at the moment. If anyone needs the name I can check my kitchen cupboards.

I now use it in mince if I want a spicy mince.

Any other quick, unusual recipes out there. Obviously low calorie.

I also bought a fish and vegetable ready meal, from Aldi flavoured with mince sauce. 304 calories I just add more veg up to 400 calories, my last 100 calories is used on milk in tea as it is only that which keeps me going all day.

It would be nice to get some ideas of of people, especially one pot food as I have only just started using slow cooker in the last 3 months. Ideal as the more time I take preparing food the hungrier I get, and the more likely I am to pick. This is my coping strategy…..stay out of the kitchen as much as possible.

On a fast day I weigh and measure everything.

Ginette

Good morning ladies. Well I couldn’t wait until this morning to weigh myself so I stepped on the scales for the first time last night. I realize that weighing yourself after eatting is probably counterproductive but I was just too curious to bother waiting until this morning. Sooooo, drum roll here !!!!! I’m down 6 lbs. I’m so thrilled I can’t begin to tell you. I only wish every week could be that successful, but being the expert at dieting that I am, I’m fully aware that will not be the case. Anyhow, I’m making an attempt to catch up with doing my laundry today. This entails climbing up and down 2 flights of stairs, something that I’ve been totally unable to do, but seeing as I’ve run out of clean underwear, I now have no other chose.

Today is a fasting day, and I’m going to attempt liquids only. I don’t plan on beating myself up if I don’t succeed but I’m curious to try. I’m also, and this is completely due to you ladies encouragement, I plan on attempting some form of exercise. I’m definitely going to check out eBay for a wii, but for now just getting outside to walk my little dog will have to suffice. I think the poor little thing has given up waiting for her daily walks. It’s a good thing we have a big backyard. At least she gets to go outside. Have a great day all !!!!

Fran

Hi Fran

What great news!! Even if some of that is water it is a real encouragement. I bet you are so pleased. I would find liquid only too difficult. Have something at hand in case you need something early evening. Counted of course. On one of Michaels programs they found that soup kept you fuller for longer.

I always have a tin or packet of soup on hand for fasting day. Although I make my own soup sometimes I like the fact the the other soups are calorie couted for me.

Good luck with today, it seems a lot of people do Mondays but the other day changes depending on the person. I always do a Wednesday. I normally go out then but I take all of my food with me.

I am so pleased for you. Such a good start. Remember to measure yourself, I think the tracker has a place where you can register measurements. Water fluctuates so much in our body it is difficult to tell. If you use a smart phone there are many apps out there. Out of interest I have weighed myself over two weeks nearly every day and there has been a difference of 5 pounds. I always weigh at the end of the week and put that weight on my tracker. I can see how people get disheartened if it isn’t showing up on the scales. That is why the measuring is a good way. Sometimes a few pounds don’t show up in your clothes, depending on what you wear. Sometimes elastic waist skirts are really practical if you are going down through the sizes but don’t pick up a few pounds lost. I initially find my skirts get longer. Tops are looser as well. Keep up the good work.

I have the mail online on my iPad and they were showing the different amounts of sugars in things. Even in Muller light there are 2.5 spoons of sugar.

Here is the link to check out other foods.

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a Mars bar and soup as sweet as cider: We reveal how much of the white stuff is lurking in your favourite foods
    http://dailym.ai/1HU0HQ3

Ginette

Ginette K
    5:47 pm
    16 Mar 15
    Edit | Reply
    If we eat chocolate or cake we know there is sugar but there are so many foods that have hidden sugars. Here is an article from the Daily Mail online.

I eat Muller light but I was surprised how much sugar are in them and also in pasta sauce,I always look at fat content but not sugar content. I would rather save a Mars Bar or other chocolate to eat as a treat and use a tin of tomatoes instead of pasta sauce.

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a Mars bar and soup as sweet as cider: We reveal how much of the white stuff is lurking in your favourite foods
    http://dailym.ai/1HU0HQ3

Also another article here from medical news

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262978.php

Sugar content in common foods and drinks
    To help you keep track of how much sugar you’re consuming we’ve listed some common everyday foods and drinks, together with their sugar content. Some of these may surprise you:

How much sugar is in a chocolate bar?Chocolate bar
    With high sugar content, chocolate should always be viewed as an occasional treat.

Milk chocolate bar (44g) – 5.75 teaspoons of sugar
    Snickers bar (57g) – 7 teaspoons of sugar
    Milky Way bar (58g) – 8.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Marshmallows (100g) – 14.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Caramel piece (10g) – 1.7 teaspoons of sugar
    Butterfinger bar (60g) – 6.9 teaspoons of sugar
    Dove chocolate bar (37g) – 5 teaspoons of sugar
    Starburst packet (45 grams) – 5.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Twix bar – 2.75 teaspoons of sugar
    M&Ms packet (45 grams) – 5.75 teaspoons of sugar
    Boiled sweets bag (100 grams) – 11.5 teaspoons of sugar

How much sugar do soft drinks contain?Soft drinks
    Soft drinks often contain a high amount of sugar.

Coca cola (one can) – 7 teaspoons of sugar
    Red Bull (one can) – 7.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Lemonade (one glass) – 5.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Orange squash (one glass) – 2.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Hot chocolate (one mug) – 4.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Fruit smoothie (one glass) – 3.5 teaspoons of sugar

How much sugar is in your breakfast cereal?
    *(per 100 grams)

Breakfast cereal in a bowl
    Froot Loops are said to contain 106 times more sugar than Shredded Wheat.
    Alpen – 5 teaspoons of sugar
    Cheerios – 1.1 teaspoons of sugar
    Corn Flakes – 2.4 teaspoons of sugar
    Cocoa Krispies – 9.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Froot Loops – 10.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Raisin Bran – 7.8 teaspoons of sugar
    Frosted Flakes – 8.9 teaspoons of sugar
    Honey Smacks – 14 teaspoons of sugar
    Rice Krispies – 2.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Special K – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Wheaties – 3.8 teaspoons of sugar
    Trix – 8 teaspoons of sugar
    Lucky Charms – 9 teaspoons of sugar
    Rice Chex – 2 teaspoons of sugar
    Wheat Chex – 2.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Corn Chex – 2.8 teaspoons of sugar
    Honey Nut Cheerios – 8.25 teaspoons of sugar
    Reese’s Puffs – 8.9 teaspoons of sugar
    Golden Grahams – 8.8 teaspoons of sugar
    Cocoa Puffs – 9.3 teaspoons of sugar
    Cookie Crisp – 8.7 teaspoons of sugar
    Shredded Wheat – 0.1 teaspoons of sugar
    Cocoa Pebbles – 8.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Banana Nut Crunch – 4.7 teaspoons of sugar

How much sugar does fruit contain?
    Fruits contain fructose, a type of sugar. Fresh fruit have no “added sugar”, but as you can see below, their levels of sugar range from 1 teaspoon per 100 grams in cranberries to 4 teaspoons in grapes.

*per 100 grams

Bananas contain approximately 3 teaspoons of sugar (fructose).
    Mangos – 3.2 teaspoons of sugar
    Bananas – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Apples – 2.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Pineapples – 2.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Grapes – 4 teaspoons of sugar
    Lemons – 0.6 teaspoons of sugar
    Kiwi fruit – 2.3 teaspoons of sugar
    Apricots – 2.3 teaspoons of sugar
    Strawberries – 1.3 teaspoons of sugar
    Raspberries – 1 teaspoon of sugar
    Blueberries – 1.7 teaspoons of sugar
    Cranberries – 1 teaspoons of sugar
    Tomatoes – 0.7 teaspoons of sugar

How much sugar do cakes and desserts contain?

Carrot Cake a medium slice of carrot cake contains approximately 3 teaspoons of sugar.
    Banoffee pie (1 medium portion) – 4.25 teaspoons of sugar
    Carrot cake (1 medium slice) – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Custard (1 medium portion) – 3.25 teaspoons of sugar
    Chocolate mousse (1 medium portion) – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Cornetto (1 cone) – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Donut (1 jam doughnut) – 3.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Fruit pie (1 medium portion) – 3.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Fruit cake (1 medium slice) – 5 teaspoons of sugar
    Muffin (one chocolate chip muffin) – 4.75 teaspoons of sugar
    Ice cream (1 scoop) – 3 teaspoons of sugar
    Rice pudding (1 portion) – 3.75 teaspoons of sugar
    Sponge cake (1 medium slice) – 5.5 teaspoons of sugar
    Swiss roll (1 roll) – 2.5 teaspoons of sugar

Hi All

Has anybody else got sugar contents in anything. I am not diabetic but a lot of people on theses forums are and these facts are really useful.

At least with them we can make choices. Given how good some of the cereals are for us. If it was a toss up between cereals and cake I know which one would win.

I normally only ever eat porridge, wettabix and occasionally honey nut cornflakes (bought a packet yesterday) and occasionally muesli.

Had I known this I would probably have avoided the ones I bought yesterday.

This is a rough calculation obviously depending on the size of your teaspoon.

Sugars: 4 grams equals 1 teaspoon

Ginette

I recall reading this article and others like it. How bad drinks with no fiber in them are for you like orange juice that end up being all sugar once in the body.

I am not sure if the link will work as I am guessing how to post a link so this is just to test the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2301135/15-WORST-health-drinks-Orange-juice-Innocent-smoothies-sugar-13-Hobnobs-3-half-doughnuts.html

Hi Jayegirl

Really interesting.

Another article in the telegraph here, containing lots of different juices and smoothies:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10746588/Fruit-juices-and-smoothies-contain-horrifying-sugar-levels.html

Hello everyone.

I tend to be a bit of a lurker, but I regularly read posts on several threads, yours being one of them. I am de-lurking here at the moment, because I am so proud of my sister Fran (Franee2) and her great success for her first week. I totally agree with what she says, that it is the wonderful, encouraging and supportive people in the 5:2
    forum which really is one of the keys to success

I am 57 years old and I had been very happy with my weight, but 2 years ago I injured my knee. I went from being a vigorous excerciser (long distance running) to being almost a couch potato. It’s now 2 years and 20 lbs later and I have now become determined to lose it, rather than moan about it.

I started working at a 4:3 ratio, but I found it too difficult. I spent my first 3 weeks trying all sorts of permutations and combinations but have finally settled at fasting on Tues and Thurs and eating all my calories in the evening. I struggled enormously the 1st week – eating at least 100 calories over on fast days, and going overboard on a couple of feed days, also on cheese, it must be genetic LOL. The second and third week have been much better, I am staying within the correct calorie range for fasting and non fasting days. I am still struggling greatly with fast days though. I am so crabby by the time I leave work and this week I found myself yelling at my cat – her favorite place to sit is on my keyboard when I am trying to use the computer. I felt so awful afterwards. I have never yelled at her before and it broke my heart when I saw her cowering away. Never again!

Even with all the struggling through the first weeks, I was stunned and amazed after my third week weigh in on Saturday to see that I have lost an unbelievable 8 lbs – I am only 2 lbs off my 1st week of April goal. I am now waiting for the other shoe to drop as I am sure my body won’t do this forever, but it has really motivated me and hardened my resolve to stick with this.

Exercise isn’t in the cards at the moment, not because of the knee but because I live in Montreal. It has been a brutal winter, we have finally coming to the end of a six week spell of -25 C with a windchill of -35 on some days! I am so happy this is over and am looking forward to finally being able to get out and walk. I have purchased a Fitbit and it is already motivating me to move more – I can’t wait to get up to 10,000 steps consistently.

As I said, I tend to be a lurker. I like posting, but time seems to slip away. If I don’t post again, know that I am always reading, drawing inspiration from all you wonderful ladies and cheering on my sister and all of you from the sidelines. DJ757575 (Debbie)

Hi Debbie

Well done. It is difficult to exercise after having a knee injury. Take it slowly when you start exercising or it will push you back again. You may always have a weakness there. The 5:2 is working at the moment and if there are weeks without loss don’t worry. You and Fran can cheer each other on and your success helps other people on the forum.

Even if it is a quick post it is good to do it as it shows the effort you have put in has results. Even the weeks where you haven’t had weight loss encourages people. If they haven’t lost they can see that maybe you don’t lose on a regular basis but if you stick at it you will get results. If I don’t lose although I am disappointed I look back over the past month and it encourages me to keep on going. I didn’t lose last week so I am ready to start exercising. I shall take things easy at first as it is so easy to get carried away. I love tennis on the Wii, but it affects my knee badly.

If you have an exercise video game or dvd you can do this while you are waiting to for the weather to change. The beauty about these is you can do as long as you want, 5 mins, or 45 mins or any amount in between, you can then stop to have a rest and start again later. This will allow your body to get used to exercise again.

We are lucky in England that the weather isn’t so severe. The north of England seems to get the worst weather here. I am lucky that I am from the South and also live by the sea. The only snow we have had laid for about an hour. Of course there are years that are exceptions. The summers are too hot for me. Maybe with a little less weight on me I won’t suffer so much with the heat. I better speed up that weight loss.

Good luck and keep posting!

Ginette

Aloha from Hawaii! Had a successful 1st (in a long time) IF day yesterday. 511 calories, no adverse effects, only mild hunger growls quelched by liquids. I’m 57, need to lose 15 pounds at a minimum. Glad to read through this thread!

Hi I have also noticed that my weight is not going down on the scales so thought I would do measurements. I cant work it out but my measurements have decreased and my clothing is fitting much better, really getting loose. This is enough to keep me on track I also keep a closer eye on what I eat on non fasting days. Hope this helps you to keep going.

Hi Ladies

Two great days for me, but first… Congrats Fran and Debbie and well done. Great news from Ff re your clothes. Well done Fastdiet, What is (IF day)?

Genette I hope things have gone well for you today?

So I gained 2.1/4lbs on Sunday after my Saturday wine and chinese takeout night. Well worth it, Ii thouroughly enjoyed myself. The good news is after an easy fast day yesterday I had lost 2lbs this morning 🙂

I have a wii Ginette 🙂 🙂 lol. I’m so happy!!! Second hand and came with wii sport and Zumba. Ive just had a game of bowling, love it.

My other good news is that for the first time tonight I went to the movies and didn’t eat a thing! This is a minor miricle because part of my outing is scoffing down an entire FAMILY size bag of M&M peanuts! Thank god I only drink diet coke! Some months I may go the movies 4 times, and others not at all, but all those wasted calories. I’m really pleased with that little breakthrough. I did have to fiddle with a straw the entire movie, it’s obviously just that thinking about it, I never just watch the TV. I’m always on my phone, iPad, laptop at the same time. More about doing something with my hands than having to have the sweets me thinks.

Today I have had a good day with minimal carbs and well under my daily cals.

Jaye

Hi Funny Face

Yes all positive. I can notice changes in clothes subtle but for example a bra I normally wear is a bit looser. So everything helps. Maybe we will have a bigger than normal loss one day. I live in hope.

Going for my six weekly weigh in with my health trainer so at least I will have lost there.

I hope to be at my 10% loss soon. Not this time but hopefully next time.

Keep up the good work.

Ginette

Hi, all you lovely ladies of a certain age. Well today involved a visit to my family doctor to discuss some of my many issues. I found out a recent mammogram was wonderfully normal and that one of the few perks of being an official old girl is that I qualify for government funded physical therapy. So, I’m off to rehab for my hips and legs on Friday. I’m not sure what they’re going to be doing but I guess even the slightest improvement in my mobility will help. No word yet on when my bypass surgery will happen but no doubt if I continue losing weight, that too will help. And in other news, today, a non fasting day, is so far going very well. Dinner was tuna in a lovely big salad with a tiny bit of oil and vinegar dressing (homemade, so I know exactly what’s in it) and clementines, peaches, apples, bananas and strawberries in a small fruit salad. I’m hoping to make till bedtime without any further eatting. This is my dangerous time of day when normally I start grazing through the pantry and fridge for more stick to the ribs type food, such as cookies, bread or chips. I’m going to try and ignore this urge, so I’m off for a walk with my little doggie. Wish me luck !!
    Fran

Hi Jayegirl

Well done on the Wii try the tennis. Those pesky computer opponents are set to be about the same ability as you so if you are competitive it is a great game.

You can add second hand games to it from ebay as and when. A friend of mine does the Zumba. I warn you those games are addictive but at least you are exercising. I won’t buy any game that isn’t exersise as I don’t want to get hooked on anything that won’t help me get fit.

Did you get a balance board come with it?

Well done on your loss. Today was a non fasting day but I went out and to my stepmothers and I wasn’t very good. I normally go on a fast day so I am not tempted. Just got to be better in between time.

Ginette

Hello fast diet 115

What an exotic location you are in. It is nice to know where everyone is based. Well done on calorie count. I use drinks to help me through the day as I prefer to have a meal in the evening.

Update us to tell us how you are doing.

Ginette

Hi Fran

Save yourself something for the evening if this is your weak time. I will freeze a low calorie chocolate dessert as It takes me much longer to eat it.

Keep up the good work.

Ginette

Jayegirl, sorry IF day-intermittent fasting day; probably more accurate to say FD.

Fran, thanks. There are a few acronyms I’m unsure of as a new poster here

Ginette, no it’s second hand and this is all there was for £30. I wouldn’t be able to use a wobble board because I’ve got awful balance and a weak ankle. Same with the dance mat, I wouldn’t be able to move my feet quickly without something to hold onto :s But I like the wii sport, 🙂 think that will be useful and will look out for other games later on.

Today should have been my 2nd fast day but I have swapped it to tomorrow. Had a breakfast date which was nice. I had an English breakfast, 1 sausage, cut all fat off the bacon, poached egg, mushrooms, tomatoe, didn’t touch the hash browns and said no to the toast. Perfect slimming world, no carb meal. I have switched to a drop of cream in my coffee and ditched the sugar I used to have. That will take me through to early evening when I’ll have a light meal.

Bathroom will be finished today! Can’t wait, my apartment is a mess! I will use some energy cleaning today and putting everything back from the storage cupboards the electrician had to go into. Horrible task, the dust is EVERYWHERE 🙁 lol. My living room looks like a storage room.

Back down to 17.5lbs today so back to where I was before Saturday night and will fast tomorrow and hopefully will lose another pound so I’ve made some headway this week.

Hope everyone’s day is going well.

Jaye 🙂

Hi Jaye

Do you have a walker? People I used to work with used to use this and the balance board.

You seem do be doing well even on days off.

Well done. I must improve my normal days. I had a stressful couple of weeks so I am hoping it will calm down. I don’t envy you with all that cleaning.

Ginette

Hi everyone I am home overnight from mums so thought I would check in.
    well done fran on your great weight loss I am soo happy for you after all your earlier struggles you succeeded.
    I couldn’t wait till morning so have had a quick weigh in tonight and think I am on target for 3 lbs loss. I usually weigh in on Monday though so that is why it’s so much but I am chuffed to bits I am almost ready to try on the dreaded wedding suit again!

I will write again when I am back home and on line again but keep up the good work everyone.
    Ginette I too am within striking distance of my 10% weight loss isn’t it great people are starting to notice I look a bit thinner, hope it’s the same for you keep in touch.
    Audrey

Hi Audrey

Welcome back. Glad to see that you were still able to stick to it at your Mums. I was at my step mums today and firstly she had already cooked pork chops with onions and mash. I just love mash. I told her I couldn’t eat it as it was a fast day. I always take my meal with me and make it there. I measure everything out at home.

Then about an hour later she came in with two plates with cake on and I told her I couldn’t eat it. She ate them both but she is underweight. Then about half an hour later she tried to pass me a handful of grapes. I managed to avoid that as well.

I wasn’t completely good I love mash and had two teaspoons of mash. I am sure that wasn’t too bad. She doesn’t mean to derail me but I have a sneaking suspicion now why I have put on weight gradually over the years. I used to eat with her and my Dad about 4 times a week. Now it is only twice, one of those being a fast day.

Keep up the good work I hope you make your 10% soon.

Ginette

Hi all, After over a week of doing relatively well, I’m sad to report I’ve been completely derailed today. Now I realize that bumps in the road are most likely a part of even the most successful weight loss diet, and my day wasn’t completely without some good moments. I did some exercising this morning using a rubber rope I got when exercise was part of my daily routine. I didn’t eat until this afternoon and then it was a piece of chicken and some cucumber and tomatoe slices. After lunch I took Lacey, my little toy poodle, for a decent walk but it was after I got home that it all came to a crushing end. For some inexplicable reason I got into my car and headed for the nearest grocery store. I zeroed right in on the fresh from the oven cinnamon raisin bread, drove home and proceeded to eat almost the entire loaf. I’m completely at a loss as to what was my motivation but here I am. I know what I have to do. I must not let this be my undoing. So, thank -you all in advance for your support. You are the reason I’m not going to give up. And Ginette, I also plan to start freezing a few low cal options for when I get the urge to cheat again. Most likely this won’t be the last time I falter, I just hope it’s the worst slip up I go through. Now I will soldier on. Have a good rest of the week everyone. Fran 🙁

Hi ladies,
    I am away again for the weekend now, I will weigh in Monday, not lost as much as I had hoped to but still lost a pound and half at mums which is quite exciting, as I couldn’t log or weigh everything (as you all know I love to write things down with my ocd)!
    Anyhow have a great weekend, and I will be in touch when I return from Wales in my caravan I am very excited as it’s the first time we have been this year.

Audrey

Hi Fran

How frustrated you must feel with yourself. Just choose another fast day. It will sort itself out. We all have blips. Remember it is only one day at a time. The following day you can eat what you have been craving and most probably won’t feel you need to.

I think you must be feeling deprived on fast days, you need to change this feeling to feeling empowered. You are doing something for yourself that other people who haven’t been there will think is really difficult. You need to overcome your cravings and know that it IS only a day.

It will get easier and then it will just become habit. I like the planning bit. I even plan for the week in a general way. I make sure that any treats I buy I can either resist not to eat big portions or cut into double portions and then freeze.

You have to feel better about yourself, you are stronger than you think. Always build in things you think of as treats into a week. That way you always have something to look forward to. Have you thought about seeing a health trainer. They are free on the NHS. I see mine at my local surgery although they do have them in community centres and everywhere. You get 8 appointments and then 2 x 3 month follow ups. Then three months after the last follow up, you can reapply to see him/her again.

My trainer is pleased if I have lost something. The aim was 5% he suggested that, my aim was always 10% now I am only just over 1lb away from the 10%. First of all I started seeing him every three weeks, I now see him every 6 weeks as it makes the overall time longer. When I finish these sessions I will refer myself back to him for a second time. Hopefully I will continue to lose weight. If I lose an average of just 3lb a month that is just over 2.5 stone a year. If I only lose an average of 2lb then that is still nearly 2 stone. Even with a few bad days or weeks I should be able to achieve a substantial loss.

I only normally work towards half a stone targets as they seem more achievable. I hope to lose half a stone in 2 months. As the next two months have 31 days in it should be quite achievable.

Climb back on that horse girl and show who’s boss.

Just type in health trainer and the area you live in and you can get more details.

Ginette

Hi All

Looks like an interesting show on BBC1 tonight The truth about sugar. It follows people trying to reduce their sugar intake. Looks like it may be on a few weeks so set series link.

Ginette

Latte up to 20 teaspoons of sugar. How shocking. I think this is all in the program mentioned.

Oh dear. I think we may all get a bit of a surprise. Last week I bought some honey nut cornflakes, then I found about about the sugar content. I could easily have two bowlfuls instead of a meal. Now it will be one bowl as a treat.

I only buy them about three times a year as I don’t eat cereal often and usually have either porridge or weetabix.

Oh well. I shall now eat them less. The program talks about hidden sugar in ready meals, this is something I only have occasionally now, I did eat them three of four times a week once.

At least these programs raise our awareness.

Hi Ginette,
    The UK is definitely far ahead of Canada in regards to health care. Here we pay for personal trainers and it’s not cheap either. A couple of years ago I did sign up for a trainer and she was a terrific help. Unfortunately the cost is completely ridiculous. Almost $100.00 for a one hour session. So three times a week was costing me $300.00. I stuck it out for 50 sessions but am unable to come up with the money to consider another go at it. I live in Ontario and although health care is covered by the government, when you are waiting for any major procedure, you better not hold your breath. I’ve been waiting for almost 6 months for the vascular bypass on my leg. It’s not fun.
    As far as changing my mindset about fasting days, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. I definitely feel deprived. I am going to work on this and hopefully develop a feeling of empowerment as you suggest. I have an inner dialogue that seems to rule my decisions, so changing this is absolutely necessary. One of the things I found when I saw the doctor on Tuesday was that physio therapy is now free for seniors. I’m going tomorrow for my first session and if this helps I’ll be going back to the gym to start an exercise regiment. I feel strongly that this is going to be the key to helping me change my attitude in general. Meantime I’m not giving up. I’m in this for the long haul, whether or not I’m able to run, walk, lift weights, or do any other form of exercise. Thanks again Ginette. Take care everyone.

Fran

Hi Fran

Didn’t realise you weren’t in England. A health trainer is nothing like a personal trainer. It is just someone who monitors you and what you eat, checks your BMI and your waist measurement and gives you some advice about what to eat.

Personal trainers here are people who work you to your endurance levels.

Made me smile though….

I have family living in Ontario, Toronto, Niagra and Kitchener.

Good news about your physiotherapy.

Take things slowly at the gym at first my son joined about 3 months ago and has worked himself so hard he now has problems with his back. Now he can’t go until it is better. I am sure it is just temporary but easy to overdo things.

Be positive and not so down on yourself. Next time you go to those non fast day foods – tell yourself it is a moment of weakness, go and do something to take your mind off it. Anything will do. Tidy a drawer but not a kitchen one as you have to get out of that kitchen….it is a true danger zone at times of weakness.

You will get there don’t worry.

Ginette

Fran,
    hope you’re having a better day. I know just reading the threads here raises my spirits! Have a good weekend everyone. Fast day for me Saturday.

There is a new book that has just come out in the UK by Damon Gameau called ‘that sugar book’. He changes his diet to include the 40 tsps of sugar a day for 60 days(the average sugar consumption in Australia) and monitors the effects on the body. BUT he cannot have chocolate,sweets,ice cream or cake. The sugar must come from healthy food.

Hi Annette

That sounds interesting. I might give that a look later. I have another 5 books to catch up on yet. Have a good weekend all.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    I thought so too.

I have been out shopping and now checking the sugar content of ketchup, chocolate mousse, chilli cooking sauce and even full fat yoghurt. The most depressing of all though, was Easter eggs. Most of the eggs alone were 56g of sugar without the chocolate bars!

I am going to keep tabs for a week and write everything down that I eat and drink. Then calculate both the calories and the sugar content.My aim is to get to the 24g/6 tsp of sugar a day, which will be interesting as I have a total of 3 tsps of sugar in tea/day!

Hi Ladies,

Well the weekend is here and for lots of us it’s coming towards the end of week and weigh in (those that do Mon/Sun). I hope everyone is still feeling optimistic and have got past any hic-ups you’ve encountered. Remember we are not perfect, life throws us curve balls and trips us up. But we all get back up and carry on!

I’ve had 3 fast days this week, started at 17.6lbs. Today I weigh 17.1, however today is my day that I have whatever I want for dinner and an entire bottle of Prosecco (589 cals) so I will probably gain 2lbs back for my sins. Next week I want to be 16.12lbs and break through that stone. I’ve achieved my first goal, to lose a stone. My next is 10% of my body weight which I think is 28lbs (must check that lol).

Have a fantastic weekend ladies and be good to yourselves.

PS, Thanks to Ginette I bought a wii and have been working out. Won’t be able to lift my arms from my side tomorrow in pain from boxing… I’ll have to swap to irish dancing lol.

Jaye

Annette

Is this 3 spoons of sugar in each cup? Try stevia it is meant to be the best of the artificial sweetners.

I saw a program on it.
    I would see where you are now and maybe try to cut down bt a quarter at first, then half and so on. You don’t want to have to go cold turkey. I will be interested to know results.

I have a small chocolate button Easter egg waiting for me at Easter. I will see how many grams of sugar there are in it. I want to reduce sugar but still be able to have treats.

Jaye

Keep up the good work…..I told you the Wii would be addictive.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    No, one tsp of sugar in one mug of tea, with a maximum of 3 mugs a day.After Christmas, I reduced my tea consumption from 7/8 mugs a day to no more than 3, so that is already a saving of 35tsp sugar/week!!!!!!!!!!I have already made a huge difference and that was to reduce my caffeine consumption. I had no idea it was so high in tea-thank you Michael Mosley.
    I noticed that I felt much better with less tea and then found that puddings at work where just making me feel rubbish after I had eaten them. So I have gone from having a pudding every day, to not having them at all-purely because of the way that they make me feel.
    I am eating less sweet stuff now and snack on almonds which I now find sweet, but never did before.The sugar programme shocked me into reading labels and just trying to reduce the sugar that I have in my diet.Ice cream and an almond croissant are foods that I love, but I am having them less and less, which must be a good thing.I am trying to be mindful and enjoy treats, rather than have them every day which I could easily do.
    I have heard of stevia, but would like to cut the sugar out of the tea, which I suspect will reduce over time.
    A little bit of what you fancy does you good is my mantra. I am having too much at the moment through.

Well done Annette for cutting down I would have about 9/10 cups of tea now I have between 5/7. I don’t drink anything else apart from in the summer.

I too am looking at labels. As yet I haven’t been too shocked. I will keep checking though.

That ginger beer was bad. I would never have thought that.

I think that over a period of time I will have less and therefore have less of a sweet tooth. Although my Dad used to like his strawberries with sugar on….I like them just as they are. He also liked stewed fruit with too much sugar in, I couldn’t eat eat.

Ginette

Me neither about the ginger beer. I will have the occasional still lemonade when I am out shopping, but will check the label first now. My biggest shock to date has been the sugar in full fat natural yoghurt and creme fraiche. I had never considered either had any sugar in them, but I hadn’t looked for it either!

I am quite fond of Lemon and Ginger tea, and now drink it without any sugar. Lovely when on a FD and it is cold.Years ago in Italy, we had strawberries, but all the locals squeezed lemon juice on them and they were delicious. I am going to try that this year.

I am also growing strawberries, raspberries, peas and tomatoes and some herbs in my little garden. I love eating peas straight from the pod and they are quite sweet and delicious in a salad on a FD and non FD.

This week is sugar in tea reduction. I am going to try 1/2 tsp this week.

Homemade meusli and plain yoghurt works out to be about 8g sugar.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.