HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 7,330 total)

• Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

YAAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My scales start with a BIG FAT TEN STONE SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, 10 stone 13 ¾ lb to be precise but who’s counting? It’s the TEN that counts! It’s the first time in more than a decade that they didn’t start with an 11 or 12.

And I know that next week or even tomorrow; it could be starting with an 11 again but what the hell? I’m celebrating just getting them to say that today.

It just goes to show you, just how torturous this WOE can be for some of us. I looked back at a post I did on 09.02.14 and I was (prematurely) anticipating the next time I got weighed; I would be 10st something……
    Well no, for some of us, that is way too simple and predictable and easy!

So in between then and now, I put 2lbs on out of nowhere I.e. no pigging out day, no celebrations etc. It took me until the 28.03.14 to lose that pesky 2lbs and it has taken another whole *!?!!!*$$*! couple of weeks to lose just a bit more than ½ lb!

WEIGH TO GO!!!!
    Onwards and Downwards Ladies!

Hello PreciousBooBoo,
    I had a fabulous time at the Drifters Concert, I sang every song and danced throughout the second half of the show. I did not resist the very lovely honey and ginger ice cream. Lunch was healthyish – grilled chicken and ratatouille, then they added chips and pudding was creme brûlée. But reality hits home today, fasting day so back to breakfast- porridge cooked with water and 15 blueberries, lunch – ww soup, dinner salmon, a boiled potato, broccolli and green beans. Filling up on water and fruit tea but finding it tough today after a week of restaurant food and birthday cake(my daughters, not mine). Fed the dogs the leftover cake to save my soul today, I would not have resisted it. Weighed in this morning – no loss but no gain so happy.
    After the blow up on here which I think happened before I joined, I have received an email today about resignations and accusations in my community choir. Needless to say I didn’t know anything about it because I am not on the committee so have missed all the arguements, thank goodness. What is going on! I put it down to ‘not enough sunshine’ SAD Syndrome. Let’s hope the sun comes out and it all settles quickly. Such a shame all those hurt feelings!

Great news, Precious Booboo! We share your glee!

To answer P-Boo-Boo’s question about opting out of dramatic energy in my life: Because we exist in the world, we are aware that hiding among fabulous and well-intentioned people are high maintenance individuals, narcissistic attitudes, highly emotional and defensive individuals, people with low self-esteem, unhappy people and basically corrupt or lost people. We find these people lurking everywhere; even in families and churches. No surprises here. It’s our personal responsibility to monitor our mental and emotional filters and make sure we’re not taking in too much dark energy from others. I did a major personal filter clean/change a few years ago and realized there was a number of high-maintenance people in my life because I did not change filters often enough. I allowed too many negative, high-maintenance individuals, from many areas of my life, to play important roles in my life. It was truly dragging me down. My fault. As a result, I made a filter clean/change along with personal shifts, and allowed more light into my life. Lesson learned. I’m the keeper of my mind, soul and spirit so I’m responsible for changing my attitudes, destinies and filters when necessary. I can blame others, but I wasn’t taking good care of myself by allowing too many people with dark issues (perpetual sadness, jealousy, troubled spirits, selfish attitudes, undisciplined ways) into my life. My graduate training is in organizational management and conflict management. I knew better, but I am a bit too compassionate for my own good at times. It’s like the drowning person often drowns the person who is trying to save him. If we don’t take inventory of the good and bad energies in our lives, we can be dragged down. I hope it doesn’t sound as if I’m preaching. I just get weary of people with dark energy dragging well-intentioned people down. We must fight back – not by lashing out at others – but by taking good care of ourselves. I have this Mediation background, so you’ll have to excuse me! I think if we could all shed some dark energy, we may lose a few more pounds! Happy ‘almost weekend’ to all. Spring is an excellent time for personal cleansing and filter changes!

Well done PreciousBooBoo,I am very pleased for you. Well done on all your hard work. I have worked out it will take me until next March to get where you are. I have just realised you may leave this thread soon, if you have reached your goal. Don’t go, we need you! Sorry I mustn’t be needy. Positive thinking, I can do it on my own! I am supergirl! Down, down and away!

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

I’m on a roll but I’m sure you will forgive me on this momentous day! Ten Stone something….tra la la!

Hello and Welcome to MerryMary and bayleafoz

Hello Merry Mary (love the name!) – Actually that is a really good point.
    It is a really long thread – the most POPULAR I might add, in case you didn’t know you were in exalted company!

I quite deliberately did not post my weight, in the beginning, because, really, I’m a private person and my weight is usually unknown to everyone, including me! (I didn’t own a pair of scales for over 20 years!).
    However I have just posted the exact figure so; I started late June 2013 and I have only (but it’s a mountain to me) lost 1 stone 4lbs and a bit.
    Compared to some LOACA’s that is miniscule but I am really grateful to just stop increasing in weight per se.

As far as I am concerned MM, you are perfectly suited to this WOE and mirror most of our stories!
    Good Luck and keep us posted.

Would any other LOACA’s like to give their exact weight loss and time on the FD – no-one has to give their actual weight if they don’t wish to, of course.
    It will put it into perspective for a lot of us.

Hi bayleafoz – Wow 15lbs in 8 weeks……..you’ve lost nearly as much as me in nearly ten months……..Well done Cobber!

Hi Speedy – The Bach flower remedy people have changed their way of preparing the remedies in the recent past; therefore they are not as effective as they used to be in the old days. However, if you are not going to get anything else – then please take them and start now.
    Do you know about putting 2 drops into a large glass of water and just taking small sips all day long? This will drip-drip them into your system.
    We too used to give them to both our rescue boxer dogs (rescued concurrently) AKA the famous Precious Boo Boo and they were the most chilled, cool, far out pets at the Vets!

I once had a test for Celiac disease which is a large rubber pipe down your throat and it is guided down into your bowel for them to take a sample – honestly not recommended (Please do not try this at home…..) People normally have an anaesthetic but like you, I’m a bit frightened, so I opted not to have one; so when they were done, there was no recovery time needed.
    I am the biggest WUSS in the history of the Universe and I had that done fully conscious because I had taken my RR for about a week before!

Also just thinking about your unopened book; one of the scores of books I have bought was one on Procrastination and guess what? It took me years to open it!

Hey LUVTCOOK – What a lovely way to express yourself and thank you for that; I‘m touched (that confirms what my husband has always said – I don’t know if that translates for you Yanks! Touched can mean ‘not all there’ in Britain).

I’m quite proud of how this thread has turned out and I’m grateful to the majority of LOACA’s who have taken the time to post.
    I like the fact that we share our tips, encourage each other, have a laugh, console, support, chat, fall out occasionally (not keen on that aspect), reminisce and exchange information we have gleaned; it’s so much more that just banging on about a ‘diet‘.

Hi yipyop – I too am impressed with my fellow LOACA’s tact and diplomacy and kindness. Have a lovely week off and don’t sweat the small stuff!

Hey jojo – YOU ARE JOKING? Leave? MOI? (said just like Miss Piggy) – no way and where did you get the impression I’ve reached my goal? You pudding! I was only going LOACA LOCA because the scales start with a 10 – I haven’t reached any weight goal!
    Lordy, there’s loads more to go at and considering just how slow it is, I’ll be still here when you are celebrating getting back into your Olivia Newton John sprayed on pants!
    The Drifters sounded FAB; the food sounded better!

Hi JeanDee – Thank you for telling us all about that, just one question though; are there any people left in your life now???!!!! Only joking JD!
    Did you read the bit about the faith healer I went to and her awful attitude to almost everybody in her church?
    PEACE TO ALL LOACA’s!

Must go Ladies – people to see, wine to drink and probably tables to be danced on (no, on second thoughts; I’m at home and our kitchen table is not that sturdy…..)

Have a lovely weekend everyone
    Onwards and Downwards Ladies!

Hi Precious Boo Boo, AH, Well done! It’s a real achievement. 🙂

Do you think the Bloesems are now better than Bach then? I’ve been dripping the RR today – it tastes like alcohol to me! I don’t drink so even a tiny drop can have an effect!
    That was brave of you. I asked for a local anaesthetic but it’s not possible apparantly. So I’ve resigned myself a bit. Personally I think a bit of procrastination is no bad thing. A lot of things sort themself out if you give them a bit of time! Well that’s my excuse anyway. 🙂

well done PreciousBooboo that 10 is lookin good and well done for sticking at it. Like Stef I am also on a plateau still, so needing to focus on how much better I feel having cut back on the wine and cheese and the sweet stuff.
    Whew jeanDee you are right here in my headspace !!! what a great way of putting it–the filter change. I work in an area where there are many high maintainencers–my job is to upskill them in a particular and vital area but heh guess what, the ones who need it the most are already perfect!! I got a neutral professional in to look at my practice and what barriers I was creating, he walked away scratching his head about the prima donnas and advised I get paid double. How it relates to this WOE is that I used to eat big slices of carrot cake to console myself now I record my interventions send it on to my boss and keep the filter changed–I leave it to him to eat the cake of frustration. thanks for your metaphor

Well done Precious booboo. What a name

For some reason the rest of my post cut off. Is it because I put a smiley face? I love your name Pbb and your posts. 🙂 To achieve the fast weight loss ( pun intended), I chose to ban sugar and all sweet food for the first four weeks of the 5:2. The first two fast days were the most testing. After that, I look forward to the feeling. Food tastes so good after a fast.
    My diary records weight loss, inches lost, BMI, exercise of any kind, food intake and BP. I agree that sometimes when no weight is going, the inches appear to be rearranging themselves, which is so-o-o satisfying. I still have 7 kg to go (=15 lb). Also still need to lose another 4 inches from my waist to be healthy. The best result so far is that the doctor has reduced my BP meds by one third.
    I swear by Michael’s book and drink lots of water. Glad to hear that everyone plateaus. I think the remaining weight loss will be a very long time going. Sorry if my posts ramble in the middle of the night. Beautiful Autumn sunshine this morning after days of rain.

Well done double happy in gaining emotional control over eating. It is such a satisfying achievement.

Congrats to PBB and to ply24mp on dropping poundage. Good to hear of recent successes. well done.

I am in a funk for some reason this week (stress at work and a very very long 14 hr work day early in the week) meaning not getting good sleep this week = ditched the diet. At least not devouring pints of ice cream but no effort in doing a fast this week.

So turned to the thread for inspiration….need to get back on the wagon tomorrow before this gets out of control and 3-4 off days turns into 3-4 weeks. Just not in the mood to deal with it.

When I get like this I don’t even want to weigh ….in no mood for bad news. So off to bed earlier tonight and begin anew tomorrow (I hope). Hearing good news from other is the best medicine. Needed inspiration.

Have a lovely weekend to you all.

Hi everyone, especially LUVTCOOK.

Like you I don’t like bad news when I’m in that sort of mood so haven’t weighed this week and haven’t fasted for the last two but Monday is coming and WILL be successful (too much socializing and lack of willpower sabotaged the last fortnight).

A few days ago a new lady asked about confessing to her WW leader about 5:2 and several offered sound advice. I’ve never been to WW although probably should have but object to the concept that you need to pay cash to eat less (very careful with my money, possibly due to impoverished childhood).

The beauty of 5:2 is, apart from the cost of the book, we don’t need to hand over our hard earned to eat less on a program that is a way of life, not a short-term fix which would see most of us regaining the lost weight and possibly a little more.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Hi Precious

Such good news for you reaching a new number on the scales. Well done!

Here in Oz we use kg so while the numbers gradually change mostly downwards 🙂
    the markers don’t require such long-term effort as stones.

Hello to All! I haven’t posted in a while but I get the new posts via email & try to follow the thread even when I’m not contributing. So many new faces here! (Virtual, of course.) Welcome to all of you who are new to this WOE; I have been following the 5:2 since late August, so that makes it about 7 and 1/2 months for me now. And when I say ‘following’ it, I mean that pretty loosely. There have been stretches of 2 and even 3 weeks at a time when I’m not really doing the intermittent fasting, and then I just jump back in when I’m up for a more committed approach.

Merry Mary, I loved that you asked if any of us have actually lost/maintained a weight loss doing the 5:2…this can be such a chatty, social thread that those details can get a little lost. :). So I decided to post just to reassure you that lots of us have made headway, despite our nearly universal experience of plateauing, often for pretty long stretches. I am 50, in good health but started out with about 30 extra lbs. that had crept up (and up and up) after having my last child at 42. I wrote in length about this in a long-ago post so I won’t repeat myself, but I’ll just recap it quickly here. It took me from late August until January to work my way down from 157 lbs. to 140 lbs., my ‘low’ weight post-baby, rarely seen on my scale and not in a very long while. I was delighted with this very slow but lasting weight loss, and then I had to sit tight and spend the next 3 months maintaining that ‘new’ 140; my body wanted to go onward & UPWARD again, given half a chance. I really just had to wait it out, fasting diligently some weeks and just working to maintain it others. Lots of travel in my life, so lots of putting on 2 lbs one week and taking the same 2 lbs off again the next week once I had returned home. But this time I hung in there–and reading the many, many posts on this thread was a good way to stay committed–and happily, my body seems ‘ready’ now to continue losing again. I am now at 137 or so–finally BELOW that hard-earned 140–and able to lose half a pound to a pound a week again, when I’m actually really including 2 fast days in my week.

Interestingly, I confirmed (for myself) what I had come to understand intuitively about my 50 year old, peri menopausal body and its attempt to lose weight when I was struck down with a nasty virus a few weeks ago. I was laid low for about a week, and even though I had very little appetite, I still managed to GAIN 2 lbs in that time. My system was so touchy that all I could manage to eat were bland foods like toast, oatmeal, rice–yep; all carbs. And my energy was so low (I spent several days in bed and then several more just propped up, trying to fake feeling better) that I couldn’t exercise at all, which was quite a switch from the 5 days of 60 minute periods of cardio that I typically do. So, for me, carbs+inactivity=sure fire weight gain, even if my calorie intake is relatively low. Whereas when I’m doing the 5:2, my calories tend to come in the form of proteins and veggies, and I keep up my regular exercise on fast days as well.

What I like best about this WOL is that we all just figure out how it works best for us, and then continue on. LUVTCOOK, I understand the discouragement in your last post; I have SO been there at times. But less so the longer I go on, I am happy to tell you. Last August, if someone had told me that I would really and truly–and not fleetingly–be in the 130’s again, I would’ve done back handsprings. And I probably wouldn’t have believed you either, because NOTHING else I had attempted ever lasted long enough to accomplish this goal. Now I feel differently. I don’t care how long it takes, I have no artificial ‘goal date’ in mind, I am convinced that my body will give up the weight when its ready and I apply myself to what I’ve learned really works for me. So do cut yourself lots and lots of slack as you hit this rough patch of a funk; it will pass and you’ll feel up to taking it on again. Reaching out to others was a smart idea; there isn’t any one of us that doesn’t need company along the way.

So, good luck to all of you who are new to this journey; I hope so much that you get satisfying results and are inspired to continue on with it. This is definitely not a quick fix, but it really, really does work for most people, myself included, just when I was about to throw in the towel and accept a life of eternal plumpness. (And not the pleasing kind.) I feel so much better, eat and drink far more healthily and feel like I have truly found a strategy that I can use for the rest of my life. Cheers to all the determined LOACAS out there!

Fantastic news, PreciousBooBoo and a big WELL DONE for sticking with the FD despite all the backwards/forwards/sideways moves that many of us LOACA’s know so well.

And well done to all the other LOACA’s who are on the FD journey …

Keeeep fasting!

Hi PreciousBooBoo and friends of this thread too numerous to mention,
    Glad to hear you are staying even though you are now at a normal weight. Oh- to not be obese – heaven. I have just been looking at my statistics in an effort to motivate myself and encourage other ladies built for comfort not speed.

Starting weight 16.9 lbs then end of; January down 6.3/4 lbs, Feb down 6 1/4 lbs March down 4 lbs April so far down 1.1/2lbs.

What has gone wrong recently ? quite simply and honestly! I am putting in less effort than previously which I plan to rectify. There were reasons for my lack of effort, walking out on my marriage of 28 years in the beginning of March certainly impacted upon my mojo. However I am now settled into a flat and planning my new single life with early retirement just around the corner – three months away. I have a long term goal of 10 stone by next September when I will be 60. I cannot afford to lose less than one pound per week if I want to make this goal and therefore am determined to adjust my diet and life to make it happen.

I am a very active person with a good social life, lots of friends, some helpful, some detrimental in terms of support but not yet strong enough to cut any more chunks out of my life, actually I probably need some negativity, it’s all about balance after all. I love a good bitch on occasion, I have my weaknesses too, insensitive, selfish, greedy to name but a few. My strengths are generosity with both money and time, patience and a great sense of humour, creative and mostly positive.

I love this thread and have found it a great support. I also was at ww for the six months previous to joining 5:2. I lost one stone with them which is fine, I wasn’t taking it too seriously. But at the end of the day I prefer to restrict my diet 5 days rather than 7. Obviously you can’t go mad on the other days but it does feel a more relaxed and enjoyable lifestyle. I have had my struggles with fasting but have now accepted it as a lifestyle change I needed to make. Here for the long run. Who has been here the longest? ( not just this thread) How much have you lost? Speak up we need to be inspired!
    Have a great weekend all, enjoy the sunshine!

I am 68 years 5 ft 3 ins & weighed 12st 12lbs determined not to reach 13st I started 5/2. At first I over ate on feast days ,until I got the hang of it.for me eating minimal carbs seems to be the answer,although have allowed myself treats without bingeing.To compensate for any lapse in discipline I changed to 3/4 & have managed to lose 16 lbs in2 months, so 1kg per week is excellent.i manage to complete at least 10,000 steps daily,as I live in Wales hills are par for the course!!!

Jojo58, I commend you for being so positive and self-determined during a challenging time in your life. No doubt as your mojo comes back, your weight loss efforts will be more focused and you will see the results that you’re envisioning for yourself.

LUVTCOOK–how’s it going? Any less funk-y than your last post? Be proud of yourself for not diving into that pint of ice cream when feeling so low; that alone is progress!

Not long ago, there was a running commentary on this thread about LOACAS who had experienced some weight loss discovering that their SHOES were now too big on them! Well, I thought of you all when I went shoe shopping recently and discovered that my old size is now too big…who knew that my feet were actually losing weight, too?? And the down side of this is that I’m now “between sizes” in the shoe department, which is very inconvenient. Guess I’ll have to continue on, hoping that when I reach my goal weight I will also have reduced my foot size a tad more. Till then, no slide-on pumps for me; they slip off the back of my heel, as I discovered at an event I was wearing my new shoes to the other night. Maybe some ankle strap shoes would stay on better! Have a great weekend, ladies.

lol @sharatl I also seemed to have lost half a shoe size not to mention all my rings are loose and swivel around my fingers! My bracelets (which I needed help fastening) are also swinging now and my boots no longer cut off the blood supply to my feet 🙂
    Well done PBB – you tinker I now have to revise my virtual image of you!
    I am feeling more positive today as shhhhh……but it appears I am off that b****y plateau 😀

I’m 52 and in the middle of menopause. I have been doing the fast for 6 weeks now. The first 2 weeks I lost weight, then didn’t. I was racing around the country speaking at different events so I’m sure my cortisol levels were excessively high. This, of course, blocks weight loss. Plus I need so much energy to lead full day training programs that only eating 500 calories was making it hard for me to think straight. I also read that fasting can make you more stressed out, and of course the more stress the worse the menopause symptoms. So, I modified the diet and calculated it this way. My TDEE is 2000. When I was doing the 5:2, that meant my weekly intake was 5X2000 + 2×500 for a total of 11,000 calories for the week. I instead tried 4×1800 + 3×1000 for a total of 10,200 calories for the week. Overall I’m eating less calories so I’m losing more inches. But I just don’t know if I’m now losing out on the health benefits by eating 1/2 my calories on fast days instead of only 1/4. Anyone know?

Reading everyone’s posts here is inspiring the do’s n don’ts and the highs and lows …. it’s only my 2nd day here … I have posted everywhere so I have no escape (giggles) I have to do well or bow my head … I am hoping to use tomorrow as my first fasting day … I think that is ok after 2 days of normal eating ( if not let me know ) then Wednesday will be my 2nd fasting day as it’s my bday on Tuesday and we are having a family meal.

I am 55 on Tuesday 5ft 2 and 10 stone 2 lbs I would like to lose 2 Stone but

appreciate that may make me a little too slim so 8 and a half stone would be
    fine … Don’t want to look ill … I have posted else where that I am doing
    this for health reasons too, I want to remain as healthy as poss now I am
    heading toward the other side of 50 plus …already been thru the change thing
    (blush)

I love reading how much you have all lost in weight and am excited about doing the same, so I know I want to be able to show my loss next friday no a gain (giggles) I don’t want to rush the week away but am excited about weighing
    myself! Hoping you will all be here for support and hints and tips during the
    weekend and week

Good luck EVERYONE and well done on your results so far (smiles) xx

Hello Dreamgirl2014,
    Welcome and good luck!
    Tips – Warning you may get headaches in the early stages and be very, very irritable. This lasted two months with me. I was drinking the required water so it wasn’t dehydration issues. Walk 30 minutes daily if you can. Carbs are most dieters enemy but we usually love them.
    Two stone only, a drop in the ocean for some of us. You are very sensible to work on it before you put on any more. It seems to be harder to lose weight after 50 even if you are very active.

to JoJo…had to laugh at your comment about being “built for comfort and not speed”. That is priceless. I am right there with you….we I stretch out in bed to watch a bit of TV before falling to sleep I invitably have one of my 2 cats call dibs and curl up to nap on my stomach. Seems they see me as a nice warm pillow. Sigh.

sarATL: mood better today (thanks for asking)…my fast days are TUES & WED….I like them back to back (and allow myself a bit of a high protien snack before going to sleep). By going on record that I WILL FAST ON TUES & WED it is much more likely to happen. Hold me to it ALOCAs

Welcome to Corfumay from Wales. I love hearing where everyone is from…like traveling while not leaving home.

And to yellowsun….what a fabulous user name! It sort of sounds like a cross between the beautiful names the Native American Indians have, like LaughingWaters and LittleFaun, and the hippy songs of the 60s (Here Comes the Sun). Sounds very optimistic.

Hello everyone. I am definitely a woman of a “certain age”, so I would like to join you. I am 60. I really related to Luvtocook’s last comment. My little 8 lb. dog loves to curl up on my belly too! I guess that tells you all you need to know. Once I was sleeping on my stomach and she curled up on my butt! I guess that also tells you all you need to know!

I am starting my fasting this week, and I too will fast back to back. After reading Michelle Harvie’s The 2 Day Diet Quick and Easy, I am convinced back to back fasting has health benefits and appetite controlling benefits too. Plus I mentally like the idea of fasting Mondays and Tuesdays to get them over with!

I’m so glad I found this group.

Calling all loaca’s
    Just a thought! Please share!
    Is anyone losing 2lb per week regularly and sustaining it? 5:2 or 5:3.
    If so please tell all so that we can understand what it takes? What are you eating, not eating, what exercise are you doing and at what level? How do you use your 500 cals or do you just have water that day( so far I have had three small meals but usually stick to 500). Also are you getting any side effects? I had a miserable time with headaches, sleeplessness, irritability although all have improved now I am in month 4.
    I was really hoping to lose this amount per week as a very active person.
    Can you help me?
    I changed my goal to one pound per week but it’s so slow(I know many people on here would be thrilled at one pound per week) but I simply am not. Call me impatient but with over 120 lbs to lose my dieting life looks bleak)
    I know I can lose quickly on a 1000 cal per day diet but that is a health risk over such a long period. A friend had a heart problem she is convinced started through her lighter life program when she lost three stone in three months. Apparently it was down to drinking too much water without electrolytes. No evidence of course but she has now regained two stone so it doesn’t tempt me.
    Is anyone else in my boat, so much to lose, so impatient to do it! Everyone on here seems so resigned to losing slowly. I have tried to accept this but I am going against my nature which is do, do, do, right now! ( perhaps I need counselling?)
    Help me please! I need a kick up the butt( so needy am I not? Be honest, I am tough too)

Jojo, I’m 55 and lost 17 kilos with 5:2 in 4 months. But I also ate low carb on all days. For me that meant no pale food, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Got my carbs from berries and lots of veg.
    I have regained a bit (but I stopped taking care due to that is winter blues and a small illness) I feel utterly convinced I can start 5:2 + low carb when I am better and lose about a kilo a week again.
    I think 5:2 is a very good woe – I believe that we have been pushed into snacking all day and that leads to increased insulin and with that it’s very very hard to lose weight. I felt great fasting usually but I know if I eat white carbs I’ll hardly lose – at least not at the rate I’d like to – I also have a lot to lose and I think that makes it a bit easier.
    xx

Hi Speedy,
    Thanks for your reply. That sounds good advice. I gave up my daily vice of bread six months ago but I could change my porridge to egg. What other veg gives you carbs? Parsnip, turnip? I thought only potatoes were carbs, only have them for Sunday lunch.
    I have just joined lawn bowls club today which will get me more active at the weekend, practice Sat and game Sunday. Seem quite a jolly bunch, most retired but a few still working like me. They have a choir too and social events. The tea and cake after each game might be an issue though. They even have a bowling holiday in Spain planned in October so I might sign up for it. Why not!
    I will also give consecutive days fasting a go but not sure I am strong enough, will power wise. Start tomorrow, watch this space!
    Congrats on your incredible weight loss journey, I am really impressed.

Jojo, I am almost 52 and have been fasting since August last year. I’ve lost 27lb – but I do think the rate of loss is gradual rather than quick. Most weeks I have lost 1lb – losing 2lb is an exception.

However, the great thing is that diet is completely doable – I still get to go out and eat & drink the things I like on non-fast days, and very few people have even noticed my dieting (though they’ve noticed the results) so I haven’t had to discuss it and/or become a diet ‘bore’.

My regime is really simple – one cup of tea with semi-skimmed milk first thing then nothing apart from fruit/mint teas or water until the evening when I have beans on toast with a little cheese. Occasionally I ring the changes with egg on toast or soup but I don’t try to cook anything complicated on fast days. In many weeks I have done 4:3 – largely when I feel I have over-indulged on non-fast days or just want to try to speed things up. I really try to stick to my (very low) TDEE on the other days but I don’t always manage this. I have never eaten fast food and don’t have a sweet tooth (both of which probably help) but I love cooking and eating out and I had no concept of portion control! Seriously – the difference in what I have now to what I used to have is VAST!

All my weight loss was done without any exercise at all as I was unable to do anything whilst awaiting a total hip replacement. I finally had the op in January and I am now the proud owner of a new left hip and I am ready to start some kind of exercise regime – though I am not yet sure what!

I am totally with you on Lighter Life. I know several people who have spent a fortune on this only to return to the habits that made them gain weight to start with. I think it is a horribly unhealthy thing.

Honestly I think that losing slowly whilst entrenching the pattern of fasting for the long term is the way to go. Like you I have a chart where I have plotted the weekly potential losses – and I have had to revise it many times as the pounds have not gone as quickly as predicted. It is frustrating – but it will happen! Probably not what you want to hear – but you’ll get there safely AND keep it off. 🙂

Cath x

Hi Cath,
    Thank you so much for your reply, it is very interesting to see what people actually do on their individual methods. I am going to try Speedys non carbs everyday and consecutive day fasts. I will try your liquid only approach too. You have done incredibly well, congrats. At the moment I am not ready to hear I can’t lose weight more quickly. Let’s see what ideas actually work then I will report back to other impatient dieters like me.

HI JoJo, I didn’t mean no carbs just low carb!
    All fruit and veg have carbs. Eg broccoli, runner beans – even lettuce! You don’t have to look for other white veg, they can be quite carbie!
    Fruit, being nicer and sweeter has more carbs but lots of good things, berries are a good low carb fruit.
    If I remember correctly, Atkins suggested you limit carbs to under 20gr per day in his first induction week. Personally I think that’s low and certainly for the long term. I did about 50 – 100 grams per day I think. If you just Google ‘How many carbs in …’ you get lots of info on any food.
    Carb is divided into fibre and sugar and I just just to count the sugar because the fibre bit of carbs is good.
    On You Tube there are vidoes by Dr Jason Fung, a Canadian diabetes doctor with, I think, a lot of very good info. I learnt a lot from his videos. He is also a fasting fan.
    Don’t forget to drink lots of water! I did and regret it.
    So Viva Espana here you come! Do it!
    Good luck, I’m very curious how you get on. x

Hi Speedy,
    Ok so I am definitely is ignorant about carbs in anthing other than bread, pasta, cereal, rice and potato. I have now looked on line and plan to investigate all the foods
    I eat. That should keep me busy. I will look at u tube too. Looks like I will be too busy to eat. Thanks again
    Hasta Luego
    Jojo

I am having problems finding ANY diet that will help me, I am 47 and in the midst of perimens, I had great success in my 30s on Atkins and it does not work at all for me now. Its like I have no choice but be overweight and I don’t accept that. I am starting my second week with this diet and have actually gained a couple pounds back that took me like 3 months to get off. It could be “that time of the month” but I will find that out in a couple days to see if it comes off. Last week I chose Monday and Thursday and successfully stayed under 500 by sacrificing my half and half in my coffee. I know what is takes to diet and how to count calories, and carbs and I do not cheat. I have an app that tells me where I am at through out the day as far as calories, though I am used to counting carbs more. I don’t know what to do. I have seen an up to 20 pound weight loss in a month when I was younger, I was losing sometimes a pound a day, along with exercise, I was about 34 at the time, then I maintained with moderate carb diet. I only lost that drastic amount once, because once I lost it I didn’t gain it back. Its frustrating to know I did lose weight in the past and I cant now. Not even a pound a month!

Simplycatt: your story is NOT an uncommon one on this thread; I, too, was in your shoes, with a seemingly impossible-to-reverse slow and steady creep of unwanted weight (especially around my middle) as I inched toward 50 and was decidedly peri menopausal. It almost seemed to have no rhyme or reason to it and any small loss I managed–a pound or three–was quickly back on again. I had my last child at 42, and I never got back to my previous weight with a bump up to 140 lbs (about 12 lbs. above my former ‘normal’ weight) which did not surprise or even dismay me that much. 140 didn’t present any health issues and I was still active and felt good. But…..at age 46 (sound familiar?), my weight just started on an upward trajectory until I was officially ‘overweight’ on the BMI calculator. I revisited Weight Watchers (my go-to plan if I needed to lose a bit in the past) but even when I followed it closely, the weight came off so slowly that I just couldn’t seem to build up any weight loss momentum. And I was so hungry ALL the time! At that age, my calorie requirement was so friggin’ low that I was ALWAYS semi-hungry…not fun. I gave up in discouragement, packed on a few more pounds and finally, on my 47th birthday, I committed to doing SOMETHING. I started journaling everything I ate, joined a gym, worked out a ton, cut back on calorie intake (w/o following any set plan) and over the next 6 months, worked my way back to the low 140’s. BUT, once again, after a few years of maintaining that weight, it crept up again in the past year, even though I still work out 4-6 times/wk, and especially as my period has become sporadic, periodic hot flashes kicked in, etc. Cut to last August: I was 50, my weight was up to 157 lbs., none of my clothes fit well (or fit at all) any more, and I was so frustrated that I was ready to scream. Or cry. Actually, I think I did both. Then, an acquaintance mentioned that he was following the 5:2 WOE with some success. I had just heard a radio interview on NPR with Michael Mosely and found the idea of intermittent fasting intriguing. I decided to give it a try. Well, the first week I had an artificially big loss (3 lbs.) because I had just returned from a week in Paris, so you can imagine that ANY sensible eating plan was like a desperately needed cleanse for my poor, overloaded system. After that, it slowed to maybe a half pound a week, sometimes nothing, then a whole pound…nothing very regular, but little by very little, it did start to add up. By the time I’d lost 7 lbs., I was hooked, and willing to hang I there until I reached my goal. And that meant no matter how long it took me. So, here I am nearly 7 months later, down to 136 (today; admittedly, it could bounce up a pound or two tomorrow), FINALLY feeling like I am the one driving this car again. I even believe that I will actually get back to the 128 lbs. that I weighed for years and years, pre-late life baby!

So, this very long-winded, very me-centered post is truly written to offer you the hope and encouragement you need to give the 5:2 a serious try. It seems to take most of the women on this thread a certain amount of time to figure out what works best for them, and there are so many differences in how they approach it. I can imagine your frustration if you are adhering to the two fast days with 500 calories or less, and not seeing results. Or, worse yet–gaining back a couple of hard-lost pounds! A few things that worked for me in the early weeks was keeping a food journal, both on fast & non-fast days. I started out by calorie counting on fast days, and just kept a record of what I was eating on non-fast days. Turns out I was eating more than I thought I was, and whatever I dropped from fasting was replaced with my ‘feasting’ on regular days. So, I had to make some changes on the other 5 days, too. And, I learned that doing 5-6 bouts of cardio/week is essential to me if I want to lose rather than just maintain. And have you measured yourself at the front end, too? I was shocked to see how many combined inches I had lost on my waist, hips, upper arms, bust, thighs and calves after 8 weeks, even when the pounds gone were not very dramatic.

I guess my the biggest point I want to make is, give it a try for a few months and see if you are able to find a way of doing this that works for you. It took me a while, but this is the only way I’ve been able to address the extra, unwanted weight in what feels like a livable, sane, doable approach. It’s been slow but REAL, and my body no longer feels like someone else is in control of it. I was so discouraged before trying this WOE (not a diet!) that I really thought that I might be headed toward dealing with a serious weight problem someday; it seemed like nothing I did worked long-term, and the numbers on the scale just kept getting larger. I am so relieved to have reversed the trend, no matter how long it takes me.

So, good luck to you simplycatt; let us know how it’s going. I think you’re very self-sacrificing and committed to give up your half and half in your morning coffee; I just can’t do it! Hope that some of the other LOACAS have encouraging words for you, and will share their wisdom as well.

Hi Hello and Hellooooooooooooooooo it’s been ages, and i’m just getting back to the group~ so much to read, can’t address everyone, but much ‘head-nodding’ going on here…

Wanted to answer PBBoo’s question that I’ve been doing 5:2 for exactly 8 months now, i’d love to say i’ve lost 2 stone (or in ‘merican 😀 that would be over 25 pounds) i’ve managed about 22, but am still happy w/ overall success, tho we know it’s been SLOW for about 2 months, only 2 pounds total during that time. that has been the test of my Fortitude! i’ve stuck with my Fast days the entire time, and since the new year have been aiming for low-to-no gluten on feed days, plus being really aware of my TDEE. so that means all that effort and super slow loss recently, but i’m still with it and know it’s the right thing in the long run, for longevity. For anyone out there doubting, stay with it, the rewards come though in fits and starts, esp for us LOACAs. And remember that any *one day* you stay with it is a day of success, that you may not have had at all if you’d not given yourself the reward of improving your health and your control of food with this WOE.

To our new friend who said she gave up half and half in her coffee on fast days, that was more than i could handle. so i actually measure out 3T into each of my two cups of coffee and count those 120 calories in my total. nuts i know, but there are only so many things I will cut and a decent, satisfying cuppa on my fast day is not one of them. You can use soy creamer that is only 15 cals per T, so less, but i’d need more to make up the creaminess. and yes someone said that is really breaking your fast, though my loss rate has been good enough that i didn’t think the trade-off worth it. I do an hour hike on fast mornings and that ‘makes up’ for it my mind.

So my big upcoming thing is a visit to GP this week. She has not seen me in a couple years, so all the blood work will be done and i hope she is pleased with my success so far. i’m surprisingly nervous, as I still have another 20 to 25 lbs to lose, but halfway is better than no way, right? I just hope hope hope my lab tests are better as I don’t know what she’ll think about the plan, but you can’t argue with success and feeling better! wish me luck – i know many of you have had lukewarm at best response from GPs, i think the 5:2 and Intermittent Fasting just need more science based press in the medical community as anyone who takes the time to understand the genesis has to agree it’s a good thing.

so everyone’s asleep right now, don’t know if we have any US Westcoasters here, but sending you all great, thin thoughts for your week as I think alot of us are FASTING tomorrow. I like to think of it as getting to health FAST ! 🙂

Just another thought on the 1 pound per week rate, it really is the math. If your TDEE is somewhere around 2200 (avg for “our” age/activity and someone 175 lbs) then 2 days at 500cals is a weekly deficit of 3400 which is roughly one pound of calories. If you are losing more than that, your feed days must be very lean or your workouts arduous, or both. The reality is a pound per week is the average rate for this plan unless you really tweak it, and then i think the ‘manageability’ of it is at risk for the longer term. Just my two cents. I know 1 lb per week may seem slow, but that is a healthy, achievable rate your body can maintain and your psyche can manage! Anyone’s further thoughts on this are appreciated~

Hi Jojo, 5:2 is a fantastic WOE and a great support in weight loss when you need to. My temperament is such that when I begin something, I want to see results. So like Speedy, I have extra ways of promoting loss of inches. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays with 500 calories and lots of water. Water is essential. I also read David Gillespie’s book on Sugar and eliminated all sugars and processed carbs. I walk most days.
    I have protein for breakfast, eg fish or egg, plus coffee. Then water all day. I try to fast as long as possible on just water. Dinner is fish and salad or chicken and green vegetables, red capsicum etc. I have No white vegetables or rice or pasta, and No alcohol or any form of cooked sweet on ANY day, when I am trying to lose weight. For my body, sweet = adding weight. My coffee has changed from a milky latte to a long black with a splash of milk. I lost 7 kg (15lb) in first 8 weeks. Then I had two weeks festive times with friends, where no weight loss. Still fasted. However, shape kept changing. Over all I have lost 10 cm (4 inches) around the waist. Feel fantastic. My BP medication has been reduced by one third. Doctor is very supportive of 5:2. Now I am kickstarting weight loss again after Easter. Jojo, Stick with it and READ Michael’s book.

Hello simplycatt, SharATL, thintoartinCal, bayleafoz and other fasters,

Firstly simplycatt, we all know how you feel and respect your knowledge and dedication to dieting. You are wise to concentrate on getting it done now before you end up like me with a serious weight problem. Just a thought ! Have you thought of totally changing the type of foods you are eating. I switched from farmed salmon, tomatoes and canned low cal soups early on, dropped 4 lb straight away. Seems you can have intolerances to these products which although they sound healthy have heaps of chemicals which you body can’t process. Also daily good pace walk for one hour seems to be more effective of waistline and happy factor than an hour in the gym on a machine or class, must be the sunshine. You may need to split that time into 3 x 20 mins to fit in with work. 4 inches off my waist since Jan.
    SharATL, all your advice and comments are so true, well done on your sucess.
    ThintoartinCal, fantastic work and advice.
    Bayleafoz, I will get the book, information is power, I read lots in January but have been busy since then, moving. Now settled so I will re-read Moseley and anything else that might help. Your detailed information is exactly what we need on here. I think we can all learn from each other and success is a great motivator. Agreed that there is no ‘ one size fits all plan’ I am cobbling lots of ideas together. Today I start use a kettle bell, anyone else tried that? Great for underarms apparently and burning calories, can’t do too my harm for my new sport either. I fancy taking on those old guys at the bowls club who ‘won’t play women’ because they can’t handle heavier balls. I love a challenge, especially gender wars. Watch this space!
    Well today I start my first two day fast with only ‘chewy food’ for evening dinner, wish me luck!
    P.s. I used to have several things I simply refused to change, those ‘one sacrifice too many’, semi skim milk in tea, butter to cook my fish in, drinking gin and tonic – but change is key if you want to win this battle, they are things of the past and I am still alive, still happy, not missing them anymore.

To all those clever dieters,
    Has anyone got any thoughts about water, sparkling versus still, do we know if one is better than the other?
    I drink lots of sparkling water in preference but am now questioning everything?
    I know, obsessed or what but it could be the intolerance issue again?
    Jojo

Hi Jojo, I should have added to my earlier post that I really hope you find a way to shift the pounds more quickly – it certainly sounds like you are questioning every last thing you are doing so I’m sure your positive attitude will win through.

For me I think I have had the most success when being extremely strict (on fast & non-fast days alike) and doing 4:3. But I find it too hard to do 4:3 every week (impinges on my social life!) – so I am hoping starting to add exercise into he mix will reap some rewards.

Good luck and I really hope you manage to speed up your rate of loss!

Cath

Hi Precious Boo Boo – just wanted to say a massive congratulations to you for getting under the 11 stone mark and the scales starting with a 10. Sorry for not commenting sooner I haven’t been online as much recently.

How fabulous – I can tell you are thrilled! I will be dancing too when I reach that point. I am sadly still bumbling around in the top part of the 11 stone scale – but desperately want to get a good few weeks in after several of going up and down.

Onwards and downwards 🙂

Cath x

Hi Cathyork,
    Thanks for your support. I will not only conquer this thing I will tell the rest of you lovely ladies how I did it. I feel like I am starting a new diet today because I am changing so much of my eating programme. Weirdly I already feel slimmer, must be down to the stretching in my Yoga class today. The sun is shining and I have planted all my garden pots with bright flowers. Not really getting on with my decorating though, just not in the mood. Reading my book ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ by Mitch Albom. It’s about a college professor who is dying but can now clearly see how to connect with life. Depressing in parts but inspiring in other ways. I see from your post to PreciousBooBoo you are a slim 11stone ish, lucky you. Bet you haven’t heard that sort of comment in a while, but to me anyone under 12 stone is georgeous, just a matter of perspective.
    Speak soon
    Jojo

Hello. Jojo58, I drink at lease 4 or 5 pints of boiled water and I drink it as hot as I can, I CAN drink it cold but because I have to drink it hot because if I leave it cool even a little I would not drink it. So I drink hot. Get it over in a few minutes. I do not believe in paying for bottled water ever, but that just me I would think it was a waste of money.

Hi JIPWGP,
    Wow, that is a serious amount of water. I start the day with a glass of boiled water and lemon and I drink fruit tea three or four times per day, usually 9 cups ish. Occasionally I have breakfast tea with semi skim milk but I am going off the taste of milk in tea now, never thought that would happen, used to drink gallons of it. If I go out in the evening or to a restaurant I like to drink sparkling water with lemon and ice. Occasionally I order tap water but only if someone else at the table wants it too.
    So if I read your message properly are you drinking all that water in one go? Surely that is dangerous? I think we had someone in our area who was on ‘lighter life’ die of a heart problem through drinking too much water too quickly, I think they recommended spreading it out throughout the day.
    It is certainly worth checking.
    Also you must have a very strong bladder to cope with that quantity, I would have to move into the loo permanently, sleeping at night would be disturbed. But I take your point I could probably increase to drinking a bit more between meal times.
    Jojo

to jojo58: I am way up there with you…need to lose about 80 lbs.

As speedy has suggested if you want to cut out the worst of the carbs cutting out the white stuff helps a lot with one huge execption: cauliflower. It is one of the greatest imposters of all time and can sub in for a lot of the really starchy stuff with great success. Grated it makes a darn good rice substitute and there are a good number of nice Italian recipes baked with meat sauce over it. I actually love the stuff raw with a rich dip. I also find the pasta and bread (flour based foods) make me retain a lot of water so cutting them give you an instant drop of a kilo in about 2 days. It come right back if you have a pasta or bread splurg, but your pants fit a lot better of you can keep those splurges to a minimum.

Carrots and apples are also pretty high in carbs but are so good for you that I find a way to fit them in (in modest amounts…I love a quarter of an apple sliced in a arulula salad with some walnuts etc).

Berries are a carb bargain (esp raspberries and stawberries…blueberries a little higher but great in modest amts).

i am so glad everyone is sharing war stories and tips. I am wondering if the faster you lose it the nastier the plateau…..was hoping slow weight loss might not panic my body into going inot the dreaded “weight loss freeze”. Time will tell.

One other white that I allow myself is dairy…whole milk and whole yogurt. They really give me a sense of fullness…more bang for my calorie. And I am trying to stave off osteoporosis (althought as heavy as I am that is a lot less likely than for the rail thin older ladies .

Final note: thintoartincal: so glad to see you back. So glad we have not lost your for good.

Welcome to all the gals who have just joined us. Your energy is great to have.

Hi LUVTCOOK,
    Hello again, thanks for the information. I cannot believe that after all these years of dieting I have managed to remain ignorant about carbs in veg. They even list them on fitness pal which ?I use to record cals on fast days. So day one of my consecutive fast days is over. I drank plenty water, fruit tea and one regular cuppa with semi skim milk also a low cal soup, ate two apples, one orange, one small banana and one slice of ham. It was supposed to be fluid only but I am not being too hard on myself. I didn’t feel hungry at all although I did wake in the night. For once I ignored my body, turned over and went back to sleep. Woke up with a headache but manageable. Now havi a cuppa. Good news 1.25 pounds down from yesterday. Now having a nice cuppa with semi skim and heading into day 2. Plan on doing fluids all day then dinner tonight. Off to buy cauliflower strawberries, raspberries and more blueberries as soon as the shops are open. Love these tips. My tip for everyone on the forum. Get out of your rut and change everything you do, mix it up, make it work, experiment, keep listening to to wise ladies on the forum especially those who are beating the bulge successfully. Note to myself – must read Atkins Diet.

JoJo, sorry this is my hobby-horse subject now – water! Just keep drinking it – not to excess of course but if you cut out other drinks, replace them with water.
    As far as I know bubbly or still, no difference. Just drink enough so your pee is light coloured. 🙂

Hi Speedy,
    I hear you, glug, drinking, glug, lots of, glug, water, as we speak.
    Ok switching fro fruit tea one to hot water and lemon.

I now think I have been doing quite a lot wrong and am revising plans like mad. Just been reading ‘Atkins diet’ really interesting and informative. I now seriously believe everything I learned at weight watchers was detrimental to my weight loss efforts. Free fruit and veg is ridiculous. If only I had read about fasting and carb values earlier I honestly think I would never have become obese in the first place. We just need the right information and we can do this.

Dogs now whining, time to walk their skinny legs off, can’t wait to have skinny legs too! Well just not tree trunks would be great.

Thanks again, I am taking all advice and experimenting like mad.

Jojo

Hi Jojo – I am very impressed with your determination to experiment and find what works best for you – but I think that is the beauty of this diet. Everyone can find a system that works for them. Well that and the fact that it costs nothing, and probably even saves money!

I had lunch last week with a friend doing Slimming World who spent a long time explaining the intricacies of what she could and couldn’t eat. I am sure it will work if she follows it (and she has very little to lose in the first place)but it just sounded so time consuming!

Thanks for saying I am a ‘slimmish’ 11 stone something! To be truthful I do feel so much slimmer having been 13 stone 8.5 lb at the start last August. But for at least 2 months I seem to have been losing & gaining the same 2-3 lbs, and I need to refocus my efforts. I am only 5 ft 4in so my ‘healthy’ BMI will be reached at 10 stone 6lb which seems a world away at the moment.

I am inspired though to try harder and have a push to get to the 2 stone off barrier and below. My chart said it would take me a year to lose the 3 stone 2.5lb to get to 10 stone 6 – although now it is looking like 13/14 months – so I too would love to speed it up!

Happy fasting

Cath x

Thanks for the vote of confidence Cath, I am on a high and determined to spread the energy. You will probably need to pick me up next week. Such is the life of a hormone depressed victim. I really think we can help each other in a constructive way. You can lose that few pounds just like I can lose that few stone. Go girl! I have faith in you!
    Jojo

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.