HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 7,330 total)

• Morning everyone. Whooo Hooo my third fast day is behind me and it went really well. For the most part I felt pretty good. I did have a bowl of lentil soup for lunch and I had a large salad and a turkey meatloaf muffin (yum!) for dinner. I was hungry when I came home from class at 8:30. Usually I have toast & jam after work but I cut that out a few weeks ago. I had a cup of lemon ginger tea, watched Corrie and went to bed. Going to have breakfast now (Oatmeal (not instant) plain yogurt and berries) and off to fitness class.
    Looking forward to a great day with lots of energy to enjoy it!

Hi, I lost a lot of weight a few year’s ago – sadly, it has been slowly creeping back on, which is why I’ve joined this website. Your post caught my eye as you mentioned feeling cold on fast days. I am cold every day! People say it’s because I lost the weight too fast, but I was only losing an average of 2 lbs a week, so did not consider it to be a problem. I am so fed up with wearing four layers of long-sleeved clothes – and that’s indoors – yet still feel cold. I never used to have this problem and I am hoping my body eventually settles back down and I don’t feel as though I should be flying to a “hot country” over the winter months.

Hi Crazygirl,

I have been at the fasting for 5 weeks now, and the coldness on fast days seems to have improved. I would give your body a little time to settle in as you suggested, but flying to a hot country for the winter months sounds lovely!

Hi ply, I do hope you are right, as I don’t like the thought of always being cold – although I definitely feel so much better in myself no what I’ve lost some excessive weight. My husband doesn’t have the same problem. In fact, he was brought up in the north of England and very used to “Jack Frost”. So we generally spend our days with him opening the windows, and me closing them, lol. I spent my younger years in Africa where the word “coat” never made entry to our dictionary, but after moving back to the UK after I married, I never really had any problems with the cold weather. But that’s all changed since I lost the weight. I have tried everything to get warm – going to the gym and then using the steamer afterwards always helps.

Crazygirl-

How much did you lose? How long ago and how long has this been going on?
    What climate are you in? Do you exercise or walk? Have you had your thyroid checked? I’m asking because it seems long term from your post. Anyway, I hope you get warmed back up soon.

Like ply said above, sometimes I felt cold, but it passed, and it was dead of winter. I also got hot sometimes, as in hot flash hot, but that also resolved.

Hello Piper, thanks for your feedback. I went on a diet (suggested by my doctor) in early 2012 and lost a stone and a half. I do not recall being cold in the winter 2012/2013 however. And it was much colder that winter. I live in the UK and we had a lot of snow then. This last winter I don’t think the temperature dropped below zero centigrade (32 F) yet I just couldn’t get warm. Actually, I would have welcomed having hot flushes, lol, but I’m passed that now. It is some time since I had my thyroid checked – can this cause you to feel the cold more? I absolutely loved it when we were in Spain for three weeks last year – the temperatures were hitting 32/34 centigrade and I lapped it up, while everybody around me were flaking out, lol. It even reached 40 degrees on one day, yet I was able to keep riding up them hills.

Hello, LOACAs, My 5:2 theme could be SLOW AND STEADY. Well, maybe not so steady but definitely slow. I am still following this WOE and am fully committed to it but I knew that my weight loss had slowly considerably. I finally weighed after three more months (this works for me, the not weighing, as I don’t want to get discouraged by a small amount registering on the scales) and was down another 3 1/2 pounds and that was actually very exciting because I feared there might be no change or even an uptick. I have added some extra walking (with the help of a pedometer which is now my favorite little possession) and am hoping that my rate of losing will tick up a bit. But, even if it doesn’t, as long as I am losing even a little bit I am happy with my total loss of 21 pounds in eight months. It is more than I could have dreamed of and at the age of 69 I didn’t think I’d ever lose ANY!

But here are two questions I’d love to get answers from you about:

Do you feel that the rate at which you’re losing has decreased over time as you’ve been on this plan for many months?

Even when you lose a substantial amount, do you find belly fat hard to budge?

I will continue this WOE as a, well, WOE!!! I feel no pressure from myself to quit but I wonder if losing maybe 1/4 a week is what any of you have experienced.
    Thanks!

Hello fabulous ladies. When I turned 60 last autumn, my doctor directed me to lose 30 pounds. I wasn’t quick to get this accomplished through our chilly winter season. I also didn’t want to spend money on expensive, commercial plans. Exercising four times a week and going strong for a month, but I’m not weighing for another month. The exercise could be a false read since I’m gaining muscle. I don’t need to discourage myself. Hopefully, this is a life plan for me. Best to all – have a beautiful day. Jean

@maybellew

“Do you feel that the rate at which you’re losing has decreased over time as you’ve been on this plan for many months?

I can answer for myself: I’ve plateaud and wondered what was going on. I think I have the answer for me and I’ll put it into action this weekend and report back.

“Even when you lose a substantial amount, do you find belly fat hard to budge?”

Yes. Although, it should reduce there as anywhere else. I think I know why it stays there. I’m going to experiment on myself and figure this out. Ultimately, it’s eating less sticky fat that does it but how to do it is the question.

I may have the answer.

I’ll know in a few weeks as I experiment on myself.

Hello Ladies

Welcome to all the new members

We’ve been away for a long weekend celebrating my husband’s birthday which is also our wedding anniversary. It’s 23 years since we wed and we lived together for 7 ½ years before we took the plunge.
    So 30 ½ years living together and we still haven’t strangled each other; so not bad really.

We got back yesterday and I was looking forward to catching up on the forum and this thread when I found a post from Applecrisp on another thread we posted on.
    She informed me; she was ‘leaving the site’ and was effectively blaming me for that. I don’t intend to go into it all here; I think she thought if she posted this message on the other thread, it would not be so public……
    I wrongly felt that Applecrisp was one of the LOACA’s who was getting something from this thread; even if it was ‘just’ some like minded souls to communicate with. How wrong can you be?

I have to say; I massively resent her unfairly laying that charge at my door and I feel as if I’ve been kicked in the teeth. Having said that, I always felt, probably wrongly since it seems I’m wrong about most other things, that Applecrisp was a bit more vulnerable than some of us others; so having had a night to sleep on it, I now feel more sorry than ever for her.
    I did say she was welcome to continue posting on this thread, and I mean that sincerely but I personally wouldn’t put myself into a position where I am accused unfairly and publicly again; I have feelings too just in case there is any doubt.

I know most of the LOACA’s who post on this thread would not lower themselves to be personal and offensive about anyone else, whatever the provocation. Unlike the person, who crawled out of the woodwork, to be offensive about me in response to her post.

I considered for a long time today whether to mention it on this thread because really Applecrisp should have but many people would have seen the posts anyway; so I find myself again between a rock and a hard place.
    Perhaps some other people would just shrug this off and not be bothered that someone else may stop using the forum (and blame them…) but I think it is sad and still feel she was getting more ‘comfort and companionship’ than she would admit to.

Oh dear – that’s all I can say really! Sorry for butting in on whoever’s thread this originally was but surely this is a forum about the fast diet (I’m only a month or so into this so maybe I missed something though) not a place to slag people off or feel the need to defend yourself because you have upset someone or whatever else.

Anyway just felt the need to mention seeing as how it’s getting a bit personal and quite nasty at times.

Hi PreciousBooBoo,
    I appreciate your communication and responses on this thread. I myself was attacked personally but decided to ignore it as a misunderstanding of a comment I made which was wrongly interpreted. With this type of communication and the fact that we are strangers, this can lead to problems. Some of us are givers whilst others just take. We are here to support each other. I am here for you just as many others are. Don’t be upset, turn the other cheek, it’s more positive. I do not know what your original misunderstanding was about, nor do I want to, there is nothing to be gained from going over old disputes. We are here to discuss the diet and give each other tips. You have helped many newby’s and we thank you. Chin up, thinking of you. Glad you had a lovely weekend and congrats on your anniversary.

Hi Precious

Totally endorse jojo’s comments. I have not read anything from you that was not completely helpful and supportive of others’ various triumphs or challenges, while at the same time occasionally struggling yourself.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Long relationships are a tribute to tolerance, mutual respect and diplomacy (should know, this is our 46th year) and it says so much about the complete person, when they can maintain a loving partnership over many years.

Onward and downward! (My Latin’s too rusty to work out the appropriate version of ‘excelsior’)

As a newbie (I registered yesterday), I do not know what has been said before. And I am sorry that whatever you said, PreciousBooBoo, has been taken so hard by Applecrisp. Misunderstandings are inevitable on a site where we are not facing each other – it’s a bit like getting an email from someone which sounds like criticism but is simply a well-meaning bit of advice. It happens all the time. Perhaps, once she has thought about it, and realized that it wasn’t such a big deal, she will venture to rejoin the site.

Congratulations on your anniversary. It’s a big milestone and I know what you mean when you say it’s a marvel you haven’t strangled each other yet! Trust me, it gets easier. I find my husband of nearly 50 years has turned into a very nice person – hmm, wonder if that’s anything to do with me working on him over the years, lol. I hope the next 30 years for your both is full of fun, laughs and loads of loving.

Hi All,
    I simply must share my views on a new purchase, a ceramic frying pan. I bought it because I cook my fish most nights in a frying pan with a level teaspoon of butter. I know, how sinful, but taste is everything to me. I have given up so much, butter stays and that is that. Anyway I have been tempted for to get one of these after seeing a demo in a store, no sticking and easy cleaning, minimum fat( if any needed). Usually these things are all hype but I am here to say( after testing it for a week on a variety of foods) it’s a winner. I bought the glass lid with a drip feed too. Absolutely marvellous. Now using 1/4 tsp of butter for taste, nothing has stuck and my hotplate hasn’t needed cleaning in a week. The pan itself is heaven to clean, just a wipe down with a soapy cloth and a rinse, so more soaking and scrubbing. Now that is what I call a useful diet tool. Anyone else found anything that has saved effort and calories? I will add 5 mins to the dog walk as that is my daily time save, sure they won’t object.
    It’s a sunny, windless day(unusual here) here in Kent(Southern England, Coast) for our continental chums, so I am off to get dragged around the park by my two pooches.
    Yesterday I went to my first ever live auction in Canterbury. Two of my pals wanted to buy paintings. Sadly the ones they wanted tripled their guide price to over £600 each. I thought we were still in recession here, it wasn’t noticeable at the auction. The things I was interested ( some pottery didn’t come up till late so we couldn’t stay, lunch beckoned, skate wing, yum) it was fun though, better than watching an auction on tv. Another ‘must do’ crossed off the bucket list.
    Have a blissful and sucessful fast day to all, my next fast is on Friday( delayed 5 days this week due to social commitments) so I am in a very good mood. Next weigh in might not be so good but I will try harder next week, promise.

Hi jojo,

Whatever you are doing seems to be working a treat. Your loss of weight and width is impressive. Congratulations! Your ceramic frying pan sounds interesting and will be something I’ll consider when my relatively new and still non-stick pan eventually gets demoted. What would really interest me would be a ceramic pan that is also ovenproof. I recently prepared a bhaji frittata – 5:2-friendly and highly recommended BTW, see link http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bhaji-frittata. The only suitable pan I had was an ancient Le Creuset non-stick, ovenproof frying pan which has seen better days – it’s 30+ years old – so the frittata stuck somewhat.

It always saddens me to see spats breaking out between posters out on forums such as this, and I agree with the wise words of all you recent contributors. These misundertandings are inevitable when people communicate in cyberspace and can’t see each other’s facial expressions or hear their tone of voice. As a result we can so easily interpret remarks as aggressive when they were in fact kindly meant. I’m sure this is the case here.

Back in the days of the Woman’s Hour Message Board, which the 5:2 forum reminds me of, largely due to the very similar levels of support, wisdom, humour and fun, I found myself on the receiving end of what were unambiguously spiteful attacks during one debate when I expressed my pro-choice views and wrote of my decision to remain childfree, because I thought I would be a rubbish mother – I still believe that, but I’m a terrific aunt and great-aunt (so I’m told!).

Some said I was to be pitied, others called me evil, sad, or in need of help. One particularly unpleasant male poster described me as “a disgrace to womanhood”. What touched me, though, was the way so many fellow posters stuck up for me.

jojo- I was looking at the ceramic frying pan and thinking about getting one. You are talking about green?

Boo- congrats on the anniversary. That’s a wonderful thing!

Others have mentioned that when we are not face to face, people can read the same words and take them in the completely wrong spirit. I hope you are feeling better. I also was surprised at what was said.

How’s your foot? Is it plantar fasciitis? Evidently, I spelled this wrong , but heck if I know. I had this for a while and it has mostly resolved itself.

Hermaj- you could never be a disgrace to womanhood!

Speedy- how are you? Any news?

Hi Piper, THanks,
    My small op to get rid of the kidney stone is Good Friday. I had the pre-op today with the anaesthetist staff. It was a low point. My MBI is about 50 and they said that is quite unusual here. They suspected I’d also have other usual problems. Oddly my bp was behaving itself Ok even though I was very stressed – the though of the anaesthetic really really scares me. Also sugar though a bit high is not too bad, They wanted to me to have an ecg expecting there might be problems there, I could have itstraight away – but happily it was OK so apart from being very large they think it should be alright. I’m not sure if that reassures me or not! But nothing for it the stone must come out. The staff were lovely though through my tears, fears and trepidation.

I was intrigued to read you were studying archetypes. I did a ‘free your voice’ course a while ago and we discussed a very similar sounding book. There was a meditation / singing hoiday that was going to use this book – but I didn’t go on it. I bet it was the same one. It sounds like it. How did you get on with it? Studying Goddesses I mean!

Alawys feel a bit guilty on here as I only ever seem to reply and never instigate – though I do read and try to keep up a little. I’m an admin on another site and that takes all my time it seems so I relax just reading on here.

Precious BooBoo you have only ever showed me the kindest encouragement and support.

Best wishes all LOACA – (or Goddesses possibly!!!)

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

I knew I was right when I said that most people on this thread would not lower themselves to be personal or offensive regarding my post yesterday.
    Thank you to the regular contributors to this thread for your diplomatic and neutral responses. They are appreciated.

However Karen250463 – Yes the things said about me on the other thread were personal and nasty I agree. I started this thread and have been on it since it’s inception; so will have to disagree with your perception that I had no need to defend myself.
    I heartily agree that this forum is about how we experience the FD and our varying results; which is why I reiterated that on the OTHER thread.

If you actually knew a little about this particular thread, as in read some of the previous posts; we do discuss the FD a lot but many aspects of our life impinges on this and it’s results or lack of them. We also do, consciously, like to have a laugh about things and reminisce; if that is too off thread for some people they should just choose not to read it.
    Simple; though many other long running threads also go wildly off thread.

The other more compassionate and understanding LOACA’s who have posted a response to this; realise that unfortunately ‘speaking’ to each other in this medium – about the FD and how it fits into our lives and those things in our lives that impede it – can lead to quite wide ranging misinterpretations/misunderstandings etc.
    And because we are human; feelings get hurt.

People come and go all the time on this forum and on this thread; the difference was someone was personally citing me as the reason and given that I gave this particular person far more support than anyone else, I found this upsetting and unfair.

Enough already.
    Onwards and Downwards

Hello PBooBoo — Congrats on your long relationship and the fact that you both made it a celebration. My best guess is you know how this relationship thing works and the best years are ahead of you now. Blessings for amazing years ahead. I’m new here — but chin up and stay encouraged. We cannot please everyone and as long as your intentions are honorable — keep smiling. I gave up family/friend/work/neighborhood/church drama years ago. So much more freedom and happiness! The trick is not to get sucked back into it. I’m not throwing darts at anyone — just wanted to tell you to keep smiling. Have a beautiful day.

Just something to remember everyone…stress increases cortisol, cortisol contributes to belly fat. Deep breathing induces relaxation, relaxation contributes to well being. You cannot be stressed and relaxed at the same time, any more than you can inhale and exhale at the same time.
    Staying relaxed and carrying on! 😉

jojo,

I’ve only just spotted your post from yesterday in which you write about having given up alcohol. I did the same some 12 years back. Having finally succeeded in giving up smoking I found that wine tasted like vomit, G&T like something you would use to clean the loo, and I’d never liked beer anyway. I also realised if I couldn’t have a ciggy I didn’t want a drink. And of course, as you say, it was wasted calories.

What I wanted to ask is, how have others reacted? I still have occasionally to put up with being called a killjoy and a party-pooper for not drinking. No one ever forces cigarettes onto a non-smoker so why do they try to force booze onto the non-drinker? I tend to answer if they want me to be loud and obnoxious and puke on their carpet, then bring it on.

Elderflower presse is lovely, as is elderflower cordial. Belvoir who make the elderflower also do a lovely ginger cordial, which you might like to try although you might need to take a note of the calorie count – not ginormous but to be borne in mind when you are following a fairly strict regime.

I so agree about hot savoury food like bacon rolls (or sarnies) or Cornish pasties. Have you tried the London trick of sprinkling the bacon with malt vinegar? A disgusting but delicious habit picked up in childhood from my East London dad.

Well I shall consider myself well and truly told to butt out of your thread preciousbooboo because I clearly don’t have a clue what I’m talking about and I’m obviosly not one of the compassionate or understanding loaca’s you referred to earlier!

Enough said!

Onward and downwards. 😉

Hello karen250463 – you are most certainly welcome to this thread if you fit the criteria; the clue is in the title!

And ‘Onwards and Downwards’ is a good sign off isn’t it? Guess who first coined that……..? (If I knew how to use an emoticon thingy, I would put a smiley one right here just so no more misunderstandings occur).

Onwards and Downwards!

Hi hermajtomomi and piper,
    I bought the pan in home—-, thought it best not to spell it out, not promoting them. Sorry I thew out the card wrapper so not sure of the make. Very solid construction though. Stainless steel underside and white ceramics surface and glass lid. It was not cheap but I prefer quality cooking implements.
    As for giving up alcohol I have experienced some incredulity from friends and relatives. Most have thought I was slightly mad, I certainly haven’t had any support. However no one has tried to force a drink on me as I have quite a positive( dominant) personality( typical school teacher) so they know once I have made a commitment, that’s it! Also I make resolutions every year, given up all sorts of things over the years, I have a low boredom threshold and therefore like to challenge myself. I have been vegetarian, vegan, given up ‘only’ wearing trousers, trying skirts or dresses instead, I even gave up shopping one year. I also start new activities every year, last year badminton, this year lawn bowls.
    Crazy person I know, must be compensating for something lacking in my personal life.
    Guess that is also why I am fat. Just love ‘good’ food, hate junk food though, not all bad.

Hello and a proper Welcome to triciamcc, Tasspergirl, Ommamma, Crazygirl and JeanDee.

Hi ripcurlgirl – Sorry you are going AWOL for a bit. Very impressed on your ongoing cerebral development; obviously your memory works much more efficiently than mine!

Hi piper – Your women’s retreat sounds intriguing and extremely far out man! There we are; straight back to our hippy days in the wink of an eye.
    What is a vision board? You aren’t going to become a medium now are you? I thought you were aiming for small!

If you were thinking of recording your BBMR, then the old style mercury thermometer is actually the best to use; it’s more accurate than these new fangled digital ones. I’ve had to accept the digital version because I broke so many mercury ones when I clumsily dropped them.

Hi jojo – That sounds great doesn’t it; lowest ‘weigh in’ in ten years?
    Well done you. I really envy you being able to give up alcohol effortlessly; we really enjoy our weekend tipples and it would make the FD really seem like a ‘diet’ then. And that is when I would start to resent it and go ’off it‘.
    How is the duck-egg blue looking? Very restful and chic I imagine.

Hi Crazygirl – you could do a lot worse than read back about the book’s several of us have recommended regarding underactive thyroid/adrenal fatigue etc. Your thyroid most certainly does lower your core body temperature. There is tons of good information/advice on this thread but you need to read back as we would be repeating it every other day and in order to be meaningful and substantiate some of what we say; it all takes a fair whack of time.
    K8tie’s BBMR temperature idea is particularly accurate in determining this.
    And Wow 50 years wed! People get out of jail for murder quicker than that!

Hi NickyF – I love the way you phrased that; ’……are a tribute to tolerance, mutual respect and diplomacy’. From someone who has walked the walk and beautifully put.

Hi JeanDee – I know that you are not throwing darts at anyone; the worry now is that we all have to tiptoe around each other watching how every single word is phrased in case, at some point in the future, it is going to come back and bite you on the a***.

Most intrigued about you opting out of family/etc/etc/church drama years ago and finding ‘freedom and happiness’; if it is not too personal and complicated – what do you mean?
    It makes me recall going to a faith healer in the past (one of many; I have tried everything to improve my health….) and she was a member of some such church and I could not believe how mean and uncharitable she was about pretty much everybody who frequented it! (Please no-one who is a member of any religious organisation – take offence!). It was all about God and Jesus and Peace and Love etc but they were so mean about each other and did not seem to see the hypocrisy of it all.

Hi Ommamma – That is the essence of the Mindfulness book I referred to a little while ago; my copy is waiting as we ‘speak’ in the library to be picked up! So I’m remembering to breathhhhhhhhh until I get there.

Must be off now – Secret Eaters is on T.V and it is must see T.V too; if you have a weight problem. It’s actually extremely funny in a nice way and there is always a happier ending when the greedy monkey’s start getting real about what type of food they consume and how much.

Onwards and Downwards!

Are/were you a teacher, jojo? So was I for 5 years, but it wasn’t for me. I’m a rubbish authority figure, too much of an iconoclast, known to have stuck two fingers up or, worse, given a Nazi salute to the headmaster who was always on my case as he stalked off having given me another totally unjustified bollocking for doing things I genuinely hadn’t done – e.g. failing to attend a staff meeting when I was sitting right under his nose in the front row, and allowing kids to write/carve on the desks (a capital offence!) in a classroom I never used.

I also confess that I lost a friend through telling her to f?*!$ off after she called me a killjoy for not drinking, warning me “people won’t like you if you don’t have vices”. But I do. I don’t smoke, drink, eat junk food or practise a couch potato lifestyle, but I could swear for England, in several languages and often quite creatively. Another reason for me not to be a teacher.

Hi Precious Boo Boo & piper,

I didn’t realise you were two more old hippies. Is it really surprising that those of us who grew up, or at least matured, with sex’n’drugs’rock’n roll, aren’t going to morph into sweet little old ladies? A period remembered with great affection. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. In those days, having the munchies was not the result of food deprivation. Hash cookies, anyone?

Hi hermajtomomi,
    I am an International primary level Montessori teacher running my own Pre-school( part time now due to my advanced age and unwillingness to give up my other social commitments). I, like you, have very strong opinions that firmly puts the child ‘first’ in education, hence Montessori. She was a visionary and children accessing high quality ‘real’ Montessori education are very fortunate. I worked as a TA before training as a Montessori teacher so I experienced first hand what life would have been like working for the education department, working there as a teacher was not tempting. No disrespect intended, I think there are many hard working dedicated teachers doing a brilliant job in the state system. I am a very creative person and need the freedom to follow my own ideas and instincts, working for myself has allowed me to enjoy teaching for the last 18 years. Simply puts it works for children and their teachers, getting away from the politics and stress. I say ‘no’ to ‘testing and large group teaching’. I do agree with technological advancement and use ipad recording system which does everything and provides parent partnership access.
    I sympathise with your horrible experiences and I am sad that you did not enjoy teaching. What do you do now?
    I have found that fasting doesn’t work on teaching days so it is just as well I work part time. Birthday cakes are very difficult to refuse, aren’t they? Social nightmare! I have just made my daughter a ginger and lemon drizzle duo sunflower cake(centre ginger, petals lemon drizzle) for her birthday today, she has a bad cold so I planned it for her health. I have of course just eaten some, yum

I’ve only told you half the story, jojo. The second half is somewhat happier.

I went to uni as a mature student and came out with a modern languages degree. The only way to really use the degree was to teach so I did the PGCE. Both my teaching practices were at a local girls’ comprehensive with a good academic record and I enjoyed my time there.

Sadly there were no vacancies so I found myself doing my probationary year at a mixed comprehensive equidistant between Spurs and Arsenal where I attempted to teach French and Spanish to off-duty football hooligans. This situation was made worse by the head’s attitude. I was 40 and he was probably expecting someone staid and respectable – he got me, poor bloke. I’m not sure why he had it in for me. My head of department was very supportive – I always used to joke that he only hired me because we both smoked Silk Cut and had been to the same uni – and did his best to defend me, also making it clear that it was the head who was the problem rather than me. One of my former female colleagues there remains among my closest friends. To be fair some of the kids were great, many were naughty but nice, but there were a small handful of real psychopaths that no one but a 6-foot male could handle. As soon as I could I made my escape.

A friend from uni who had been teaching at a very prestigious girls’ private sector school while waiting to get funding for her PhD managed to persuade the head there to let me have her job when she left to begin her research. She’s now a full professor, bless her.

I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. There I was able to teach and enjoy it and not spend all my time being a policeman. The head was a delightful, highly civilised woman, typified by her belief that parents who took the trouble to turn up at parents’ evenings should be offered wine and nibbles before they went home. She and I got along really well, as I did with all the other teachers I came into contact with.

I seriously considered staying and making a real career of it, but by this time I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a freelance translator and that’s what I’ve been doing for the past 24 years. I translate from Spanish, French and German and occasionally Portuguese into English, specialising in Arts and Media, which means about 90% of my work is for publication or broadcast. There’s no other job that would suit me so well and given good health I shall continue for years to come. I was always competent but I really hit my stride at 60, since when I’ve had some wonderful assignments and a lot of appreciation from clients and colleagues alike. I’m also in the final stages of an MA in History of Art. Teaching experience has come in useful when making the presentations that are part of the course. So you see, it wasn’t such a sad story after all.

Hey PreciousBooBoo,
    The paint looks good, cool and smart, but only the bathroom done so far. I have been too busy, out and about. Even had a facial and bamboo massage today. Shoulders feeling warm and very, very relaxed. You should try it. I asked the therapists to explain what they were doing and what benefits these treatments gave? Seriously their ignorance was criminal, one said I don’t know without looking at my notes and another said ‘ I don’t know what’s in the creams. I need to google my treatments to find out what they were about. I think I may need to write to the management, these are supposed to be trained professionals, they have certificates on the walls, makes you wonder?
    How are you doing now? Hope you are feeling calm and relaxed.
    I am off to a concert tomorrow, The Drifters, remember them? Saturday Night at the Movies. Should be a good night! can’t wait!
    Not much hope for diet this week so far, Friday will be a tough fasting day but very necessary. At least the smell of paint takes away hunger pains, weird that?

Enjoy the book PreciousBooBoo!
    I was going to make tomorrow the 2nd FD of my 2nd week, but I talked myself out of it. lol It meant I would have had to do my fitness class on an empty stomach, and I am too chicken.
    So I will be fasting along with you jojo58 on Friday sans the paint fumes.

Hello PreciousBooBoo and all, the LOACA lurker returns …

I’m so sorry to read there’s been a misunderstanding between you and Applecrisp. As many others have said, it’s so easy to get things mixed up, feelings hurt and stuff on forums. On my occasional forays into this and ‘our’ other forum, I’ve always found you supportive and you take the time to respond to everyone’s posts. Chin up, PreciousBooBoo … onwards and upwards (in this particular instance!).

Many congratulations on the 30+ years you and your husband have achieved, and here’s to the next 30 odd!

I know PreciousBooBoo and others on this thread like to read books about LOACA health issues and wondered if anyone has read The Secret Female Hormone: how testosterone replacement can change your life by Kathy Maupin. It’s been in the press a bit recently and I’ve just got a copy from my library. I’ve only just started reading it but, so far, it talks about many of our LOACA issues like weight gain, inability to shift weight, memory loss etc.

Keeeeep fasting!

Good morning everyone, it seems that you are good friends on here so I wonder if you could give me some advice please, I only started this fasting last Friday and did 2nd day on Sunday going great. I still go to Weight Watchers and got to goal in 2011 losing 56 lb but I cannot keep the last 7 or 8 lb off so I turned to
    5-2 and I lost 3 lb in 4 days in weigh on Tuesday morning so going well. Problem is should I come clean and tell the leader that I am doing WW plan 5 days a week and should I own up about 5-2 bit of the week. I know it does not matter how we get this blinking weight off but I feel guilty. I love the WW class and it’s like a coffee morning with a lovely lot of like minded ladies. Thanks in advance. JIP

It seems to me that what you do with your dieting is your business and shouldn’t concern WW. If it works for you, carry on with both! Good luck.

hermajtomomi:
    Loved your story.

Precious Boo Boo:
    Congratulations. And yes we will please some of the people sometimes, and at some other times not at all. We don’t know the inner workings of exactly what is a bothering issue when someone reads and reacts strongly to something. It feels quite keen to them however, so we need to approach with compassion also . . . especially when there was never ever any intent in the first place in any upset that may have occurred.

And yes . . . I only replied due to a direct question from a member re what I do as a job. I have been self-treating for years with thankfully much success 🙂 . . . and as I said I hope to be the oldest member of my tennis club, even beating the amazing Marjorie who is still going at 82!

Also have not been at my weight so naturally for many many years now since adding the iodine . . . feeling both quite excited and balanced . . . but keeping a lid on it . . . and hoping this is it now. Enjoying my fast days even where I just eat my home made broths either beef or chicken with some meat and lots of veggies.

Keep on keeping on all . . .

Good morning JIPWGP, I suspect you will hear all sorts of negative things about fasting if you tell the WW people. On their latest advert I think they something like: ‘No Fasting needed.’
    They are a business and they will see 5:2 as a (very successful new) competitor and talk them down as any business would do. (Also 5:2 doesn’t cost anytyhing so could be dangerous for them!)
    Your group leader, even if s/he secretively agreed with you will be in a difficult position because she is the face of WW for your group.

After years of being told we have to eat every hour or so, (an idea made up by manufacturers of snack foods!) it’s pretty ingrained in most of us so I’d guess you will be encouraged to return to the WW way of eating.

I’d tell them though! 😉

Thank you for giving me your view. I will keep it up it’s working for me, first fast day of the week today and I intend to do Saturday for my 2nd day. I am having brother-law and his wife around on Friday evening for a meal and that usually undo’s all my good work. I feel this week it will not give me an increase in my weight which it always done in the past. Thanks again.

I was skeptical about the fasting at the start, but the results are undeniable! I am down almost 12 pounds (of a goal of 36)in just under 6 weeks, and hoping for a bit more when I weigh in on Saturday. I just switched to 4:3 this week in hopes of sustaining at least a pound per week of weight loss. My waist has also shrunk by over 4 inches!! I have lost weight before, but this is the easiest diet I have ever followed. I get a little (sometimes a lot) hungry on fast days, but it is manageable. I am finding that I don’t even want to eat as much on non-fasting days. All in all, I am thrilled with IF, and I appreciate this forum!

Hello and Welcome to JIPWGP and janys.

That’s what I love about this thread. You can come onto the thread from one day to the next and there are usually new people who have posted for the first time; and they usually introduce some subject that we haven’t encountered before!
    For example; JIPWGP’S dilemma below…..I always appreciate that she will usually get a range of opinions and she can ‘choose’ the one that seems closest to how she feels about the issue.

Hi JIPWGP – I personally would not tell WW what you are doing but it actually might become the ‘elephant in the room’ (absolutely no pun intended!! I am a WW Lifetime Member-lapsed though) because you will probably lose much more weight than you normally do, on a weekly basis and that will surely make your leader ask how you are doing it.
    Have you read MM’s book? Because he explains the science of how and why this WOE works and it doesn’t interfere with your metabolic rate negatively; the way being on a low calorie diet 24/7 usually does.
    If you haven’t read it; I strongly suggest you do so. It’s only a few pounds and then you can decide whether you will totally adopt the FD; there are no class charges and you eat whichever foods you like.
    And you have us!

Hi Lulu01 – Thank you for your support and kind words. There was a misunderstanding between Applecrisp and I certainly but really, in the main, it pertained to everyone on this thread; she said that she ‘really didn’t feel a lot of support on the thread and it is my thread’….
    That’s funny because not so long ago, I had hoards of people telling me it most definitely was not MY thread.
    Whatever the case may be; it is not just my responsibility to try to answer and give advice/support to other posters. It’s actually not my ‘responsibility’ either! I could just choose to talk about myself (and not get into any bother in future) but I prefer to welcome people and at least try to engage with them. And I do like it when we have ‘conversations’.
    But I have no ‘control’ over who responds to whom and how much support they give! But because it’s ‘MY’ thread; I seem to have been given sole responsibility……

Will see if our library has the book but it’s not very well stocked.

Hi K8tie – I have checked at my library re the books you recommend; they don’t stock them….. On Amazon the ‘Type 2‘ one is £16.99 which is fairly steep if I don’t know how much I will appreciate it (I have purchased books before I’ve had a chance to glance through them and would not have purchased it if I had known the content).

I have never encountered ‘Type 2’ Hypothyroidism; the books I refer to do not mention this concept at all. Just being logical though; is ‘Type 1’ where you don’t make enough thyroid hormone yourself? And ’Type 2’ where you do but your body is not utilising it properly?
    Because this could explain why my blood tests always came back in the ‘normal’ range but you probably know, blood tests are not fully reliable in either case.
    I don’t know what you mean when you say you ‘have been self-treating for years’…..Was that in answer to the healing question? I’m a bit confused but interested.

Hi Speedy – Sorry to hear about your operation and your concerns. I tried to talk to you when you first joined the forum about Rescue Remedy/flower remedies but you didn’t seem that interested at that point.
    I mentioned Bloesom in your country selling flower remedies and they do their own ’Rescue’ type; I strongly recommend you get some NOW and start taking them prior to your op.
    They may do nothing for you but they could do an awful lot in terms of taking away some of your fears regarding the operation. You can bring a horse to water Speedy but you cannot make them drink….
    I KNOW flower remedies work but not on all of the people, all of the time. But we are talking about a few pounds here not a fortune.

Also please look back a bit about a book called Mindfulness; it’s how to meditate and it is proven to work. There is a CD included to help get into the swing. It reduces stress and anxiety.

Hi jojo – I’m alright thanks. Tell us how the Drifters were.

Hi ply – Wow, four inches from your waist – that is a result.

Hi LUVTCOOK – Thanks for noticing my eventual weight loss. With you on the hide and seek concept though! Don‘t know yet what damage our weekend away did but as you know, I only weigh once a week; and my weight gain, like loss, can take weeks to show up!

Hi lizzie53 – We haven’t heard from you in a bit; hope you are okay?

Anyways Ladies, it’s late so must go.
    Onwards and Downwards!

Hi JIPWGP

Just to second Precious Boo Boo’s suggestion that you have a look through Michael’s book. You can get it from Amazon for £2.95 + p&p. Or if you don’t mind a used copy, it could cost as little as 1p + p&p.

Precious BooBoo, I’m sorry I really can’t remember you mentioning that – but I forget a lot lately 🙂 Often my s-i-l (who is also ALOACA0 and I, have a conversation then next day we can only vaguely remember it!
    But I do know them – in fact I have some Bachs Rescue Remedy for my dog – so I’m going to start to take it. Thanks for the tip.
    I do meditate or maybe I think I do. I’m never sure at what point sitting becomes meditating. I’ll search the term. I have a mindfulness book by Mark Williams just arrived from Amazon but not opened it yet 🙁
    Thanks. xx

to BooBoo: have been away a couple of days and OH MY this thread is flying. Hard to catch up.

Just want to say I am sorry AppleCrisp felt the need to strike out at you for some perceived offense. I think she is a bit fragile. Please consider it says more about her current state than about you.

I feel without your constant encouragement and the effort you make to acknowledge so many posts by name of both old and new members, that this thread would not nearly be what it is today. You are the glue that holds it together so that others may go off in brief spurts exploring new issues, always to return to the core of this thread….support for each other during a challenging and sometime frustration episode in our lives. It is a lovely bunch of ladies each trying to offer encouragment and maybe a tip that worked for them.

Thank you for all you do…just realize how many truly appreciate your efforst compared to the rare few that don’t find what they need here. And that is their choice. If other threads are more helpful, then that is fine. Maybe if she were in a better place emotionally she would have exited more gracefully. All we can do is wish her well.

Hello Lovely Ladies of a Certain Age,
    I am a complete newbie to this plan, just having finished my first fast day today. I’m rather proud of myself for doing it since it really wasn’t nearly as bad as I had imagined it to be. My only real complaint is a headache in mid afternoon, but I drank more water and took a couple of tablets and it went away.

What concerns me was Precious BooBoo’s very first post. I am 67 years old and have been struggling with weight issues since I quit smoking at 40. I’ve done all the diets, lost and gained back, lost and gained back and as the years have crept up, I find it harder and harder to lose any weight. I read about the 5:2 and what really appeals to me is that this is a relatively easy lifestyle change. But I want not just to be healthier, I want to shed pounds. So my question here is, are any of you losing and sustaining the weight loss? I’d love to hear just some quick numbers from you ladies about your weight loss.

To be fair, Precious, I read the first few posts, then skipped to the end where really you all seem to have become friends and no one is really talking about weight loss anymore. I love the camaraderie, but I also want to know about the success of this plan. Answers, please?

Boo – stop it- not in a million years- you are not responsible for us- we are responsible for you and to you…as the person we have responded to…and also to ourselves- if you are really
    hurt, we’ll get by… My name is Piper- why do you think that is? I can tell you it’s not my real name… you were good to people that most of us would have written off.. people were sad about not being heard…or outrageously inappropriate, which caused a big hoo-ha and I couldn’t stand by and let it go. You were the reason I joined this forum…because I saw how you treated others. I know Applecrisp had hurt feelings… I almost responded to her, but it can’t be done, because she is hurting-…….and I can’t put it in writing, for all to see… YES, I am being diplomatic.. and Babe- I am not a medium… I AM A LARGE!!!!! and it is all about my spirit, not my pants size…and so are you!!!!

Goodness – I go away for a week and come back to find a furore!

Well, my family tend to be the sort who are first in the bar to raise a chair above their heads and yell FIGHT! (that’s the Irish in us) but I’m made of more peaceable stuff. I think PBB does a splendid job, and is part of the glue that binds us. If people get cranky and go off the thread for a while, or for ever, that’s a shame, but better ignored than reacted to. I’m so impressed with how kindly all the contributors have been over this.

Now for the REALLY serious news – I’ve gained two pounds this week. I could blame another business trip but I’m so cross with myself for letting go when I was doing so well. I thought I’d got out of the habit of mindless eating of airline peanuts… Grrr.

Oh well, it’s the Easter hols soon (I’m in UK where we get the Friday and Monday off) and I’ve got a week off next week, so I hope walking and gardening will start shifting the pounds again.

MerryMary – despite my grouches, this is a good way of eating, and it has made me feel lighter and healthier. I lost eight pounds since Christmas – it was ten but I just put two back on which is why I’m moaning. You’ll read a lot about plateaus, but stick with it and it will make a slow difference. Good luck and do keep posting.

Yipyop, thanks for your reply. I need the encouragement. I’ve tried so many “diets”, but nothing seems to be something I can live with. In the winter I travel on my own, visit family and do very little otherwise, but from May thru October I travel all over the US, working as a tour guide. Needless to say, living in hotels and eating sketchy meals makes it hard to “diet”. What appeals to me about the 5:2 is that it seems doable with my lifestyle. I believe in the science but, as I said, I want to lose weight also.

Hi ladies of a certain age
    I am in Australia and have just found this thread. I am 67 and have been on 5;2 WOE since 25 January this year. I knew it would suit me as I cannot stand permanent calorie restriction. I lost 7 kg ( 15 lb) in 8 weeks and then plateaued for a few weeks. The best part was losing 10 cm (4 inches) from my waist.
    I definitely recommend reading Michaels books as it explains the medical science.
    Good luck to all.

Hi MerryMary!

Like you, I started this plan for the weight loss. I don’t have any health issues, but I’m sure my numbers could be improved.
    Sounds like a fun lifestyle! I travel a bit, so I understand the hotel meals, but I have found the 5:2 (now 4:3) easy to do on the road. I try to book rooms that have a refrigerator and microwave so that I can bring some of my own food, at least for breakfast. I also scout out the local Panera because they have the calorie counts posted, and there are many lo-cal options.
    For numbers, I am 50, and finally decided to commit to losing the 35 pounds I have accumulated over the last 7 years. I started this way of eating on March 3. Week 1 I lost 5.1 lbs, Week 2: 1.5 lbs., Week 3: 1.3 lbs., Week 4: .7 lbs.
    The next week I was sick for a couple of days, so I ended up “involuntary” fasting for 4 days, and lost another 3.1 lbs. This week (Week 6), I started fasting M-W-F, and will weigh in tomorrow. So over all, pending weigh-in on Saturday, I have lost 11.7 pounds.
    I am thrilled with the weight loss, and with the clothes that are fitting that haven’t in some time. I find this way of eating to be the easiest plan I have ever followed! I love to cook, and like to find yummy lo-cal combinations for my fast days.
    Have a great weekend!

A special Hello to piper

That was such a lovely message piper. I know you are one of the kindest people on this entire forum, not just this thread; so your words actually carry a lot of weight with me. I read many more posts than I ever post on and I see the supportive/kind things you say to all manner of people; I don’t think you can fake that.
    It’s there or it isn’t and you‘ve got it girl.

I have to tell you, I was not only grateful that you stood up for me in the BIG HOO-HAA but really impressed. You have said that you are quite a shy person but shy people don’t usually have the courage to go against the crowd and you were THE ONLY person who actually openly supported me. And I am duly thankful and impressed by you and your LARGE PANTS – no – meant to say LARGE SPIRIT!!!

BooBoo xx

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.