what r we reading/listening on fastdays or nonfastdays?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Mind Cognitive impact
what r we reading/listening on fastdays or nonfastdays?

This topic contains 250 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  mulville 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 252 total)

• Hi All, Haven’t read Water for Elephants but the previews of the film reminded me of The Bounce by Betsy Tobin weirdly.

‘troughing’ refers to me ‘pigging out’ on a Monday, which I never actually intend to do on non fastdays and don’t usually but I actually did yesterday (probably went over my TDEE by a couple of hundred calories – naughty!).

I think I missed something piper? What was UC?

Hmm – it’s blowy outside but there’s (lesser spotted) sunshine. I should go for a walk and make the most of it – stock up the vitamin D for the winter 😉

TracyJ, I’m troughing today, and am supposed to be fasting. Same thing yesterday. Not going to say I’m fasting tomorrow In case I feel the same in the morning. Don’t know what the problem is, I just can’t get my head around it this week. Probably be ok for Thursday as OH will be back and he will fast with me. Not had any trouble up to now though. Anyone else get this way on a. Fast day? Luckily haven’t got any rubbish to eat so my troughing is at least on healthy stuff! Suggestions welcome.

Still haven’t gone for my walk 🙁 Epic Fail!

I haven’t actually had that problem I’m afraid toms. If I’ve decided it’s a fast day then it’s a fast day usually. The only reason I might ‘cave’ would be if one of my colleagues are having an impromptu ‘bring along last night’s baking’ day and they hadn’t realised I was fasting (they usually don’t). Most of the time I can walk past it or put a slice of cake in the fridge for myself for tomorrow but if I know I CAN do a fasting day tomorrow instead just as easily, then I sometimes do ‘cave’ if it’s an especially nice looking bit of baking 😉

There are some days that I just won’t fast on though, so if tomorrow was one of those then I would have to just suck it up and continue with my fast (and I do). Maybe that’s all it is for you? You know you CAN do it tomorrow instead of today if you want, so you’re just having trouble getting through a fastday until you really have to?

Maybe you’re right, TracyJ. Seems something is nagging at me and I can’t figure it out. Anyway, here goes. Fasting tomorrow and Thursday! Definite. Get out for that walk now. Ah, maybe that’s the problem. Been struck in the last few days, weather no good for allotment and flare up of my back problem makes it not worth walking. See what I can do to remedy. Fast well and thanks.

Tracy
    was a typo, never mind.

Toms

I took a week off, was not being very balanced. Wasn’t eating enough on nonfast days and overdoing it on the weekend. On Monday, I tried to fast and was a no go, but feel great today and it is only Wednesday. If you’re feeling down, give it a day or two. At some point, you’ll feel better and recharged.

Piper, thanks. Fasting today and so far so good. Actually got a migraine, so that means won’t want to eat anyway! Think you’re right. If it’s not going well, leave it for another day. Hope all going well for you. It’s the first time I’ve really struggled and it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I don’t know what it is this week. Maybe the clocks going back & nights drawing in? Maybe the copious consumption of takeaway pizza and pasta while visiting friends at the weekend got me off to a bad start? but this week has been loooooooooong and the fasting has seemed harder than usual – I’ve certainly thought about it more this week than usually.

Weird. Oh well, at least we’ve got books to immerse ourselves in and take our minds off it eh! 😉

toms

awww

sorry 2 hear about ur migraine

wish u a warm/cloth over ur eyes in a nice quiet dark room

this might work 2 from dr fung

I have been getting headaches during fasting.
    What can I do?

We suggest that you try to increase salt intake. The transition to very low salt intake on
    fasting days commonly causes headaches. It is usually temporary and as you become
    accustomed to the fasting process, this often resolves itself. You can take some extra
    salt in the form of broth or mineral water.

Bone Broth Recipe

• Vegetables
    • Chicken/Pork/Beef Bones
    • 1 TBSP of vinegar
    • Sea salt (to taste)
    • Pepper (to taste)
    • Ginger (to taste)
    • Water to cover

Simmer for 2-3 hours until ready. Strain and defat. Ready to drink.

keep me posted when u feel better

biiiiiiig huuuuuuuuuuugs

take care b well

usa

TracyJ

no matter how long i’ve been doing this

there r some days/weeks/months where it is very very hard

i don’t know if u saw the vids that toms/i r still watching

but i will give u sheet on the fasting

Frequently Asked Questions

Intensive Dietary Management Program
    http://kidneylifescience.ca
    Fasting

What is intermittent fasting?

Fasting is the voluntary act of withholding food for a specific period of time. An absolute fast entails the withholding both food and drink and is not part of the Intensive Dietary Management Program. In this program, we encourage the liberal intake of non-caloric liquids.
    Typical fasting periods range from 24 hours to 3 months or more. Intermittent fasting is the application of fasting for shorter periods of time on a regular basis. This may typically be a 24 or 36 hour fast to be done 2 to 3 times per week. A continuous fast is maintained for a prolonged period of time such as from 1 week to 3 months.
    It is important to recognize that this is entirely voluntary process. Fasting is often confused with starvation which is the involuntary withholding of food where people do not know when their next meal may arrive. Starvation is not a healthy state.
    Fasting is also often confused with ‘wasting’ which happens when the body’s store of fat has been exhausted and the body begins to burn protein for fuel. This is also an involuntary process and is definitely not healthy.

Is fasting safe?

Fasting has been used safely throughout almost the entire of human history. Virtually all major religious groups advocate fasting as a routine practice. In Catholic tradition, there are various times of fasting such as Lent, Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday. There is also prescribed fasting on Fridays and the Eucharistic Fast.
    In Islamic tradition, there is the month long period of intermittent fasting known as Ramadan and fasting is one of the Pillars of Islam. Fasting is also found in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism.

How does fasting work?

Fasting works by allowing the body a period of rest or ‘cleansing’. The digestive system including the pancreas is allowed to rest since it does not have to do the hard work of digesting food and reducing the blood sugar. As the body is allowed to rest, it may start to recover and you may notice that your blood sugars are lower or that you need fewer medications.

hope all of this helps as u said
    ” but this week has been loooooooooong and the fasting has seemed harder than usual – I’ve certainly thought about it more this week than usually.”

wish u well

Introduction to Fasting

How often do I have to fast?

Patients are asked to fast every other day (3 to 4 days per week) for a
    period of 24 to 36 hours.

What can I eat on fasting days?

• Lots of water! It is important to start each morning with an 8 oz glass
    of water and stay hydrated throughout the day.
    • Coffee and/or tea. Some people find coffee and tea to be an
    appetite suppressant.
    • Clear broth. Clear broth such as vegetable, chicken or beef broth.
    Make sure to add a good pinch of sea salt to your broth!

Bone Broth Recipe

• Vegetables
    • Chicken/Pork/Beef Bones
    • 1 TBSP of vinegar
    • Sea salt (to taste)
    • Pepper (to taste)
    • Ginger (to taste)
    • Water to cover

Simmer for 2-3 hours until ready. Strain and defat. Ready to drink.

What if I take medication that is to be ingested with food?

If you take any daily medications that require you to take that particular
    medication with food you can have a small portion of green vegetables
    or a small piece of fruit with the skin intact, i.e. an apple or pear with the
    skin.

Intensive Dietary Management Program
    Please Visit Dr. Fung’s Website
    http://www.kidneylifescience.ca/drjasonfung

Fasting Tips!

1. Drink water – It is important to stay well hydrated throughout the
    day. A lot of the time people mistake hunger for thirst. Start each
    morning off with a glass of water.
    2. Stay busy – It keeps your mind off food. It often helps to choose a
    fast day for a busy day at work. Alternatives include, games, video
    games, books and surfing the internet.
    3. Drink coffee or tea – Some people find them to be appetite
    suppressants. Bone broth is also acceptable.
    4. Ride the waves – Hunger comes in waves – it is not continuous.
    When you are hungry think “you are not hungry – you are thirsty”
    and drink a glass of water or a cup of tea or coffee.
    5. Don’t tell anybody you are fasting – Most people will be
    discouraging as they do not understand the benefits of fasting.
    6. Give yourself 1 month – It often takes some time for your body to
    get used to fasting.
    7. Intermittent fasting is not an excuse to eat junk food.
    8. When you are finished a fast – act as if it never happened. It is not
    an excuse to binge.

The most important tip for intermittent fasting is to make sure you fit fasting
    into your own life! Do not limit yourself socially because you are fasting.
    Try to arrange your fasting schedule so it will fit in with your lifestyle. Adjust
    your fasting schedule to what makes sense for your lifestyle.

Where can you go for more information?

Please see Dr. Fung’s website for additional information on fasting and
    weight loss management. There are two programs on Dr. Fung’s page.

Program 1: Aetiology of Obesity

• Offers a series of 6 lectures by Dr. Fung
    • Provides additional documentaries and suggested reading
    materials

Program 2: Intensive Diabetes Dietary Management

• Offers a video lecture by Dr. Fung on insulin toxicity and how to cure
    diabetes
    • Provides additional documentaries, patient resources and
    suggested reading materials

http://www.kidneylifescience.ca/drjasonfung

keep on NOT troughing 😀

been interested- what’s the difference between a low cal diet and fasting?

To me the difference is the long-term fasting aspect and the fact that I don’t have to give anything up forever – just for today – tomorrow I can have it if I still want to.

USA, thanks for your advice. Wasn’t a migraine after all. Is a bug of some sort. Still recovering hope to be ok in next couple of days. On the plus side, fasted from Thursday to Sunday, (unintentionally for three of those days)! Have managed cereal today but will wait and cook soup for tea. Ugh! What a weekend. Hope you’re all doing well with your fasting. Point me in the direction of any info on immune system and fasting please. You’re bound to know with all your research. Thanks.

Oh – bless you toms, you poor sausage. That sounds like a hell of a bug. Hope you’re ready to enjoy your soup later. take care.

Thanks TracyJ. Yes felt very sorry for myself! Ha ha. Lentil soup done, we’ll just see what happens. Just read a piece by the NHS about IF which popped up as I logged out of here earlier. Basically says no evidence to back any claims etc, and the best way to lose weight is to exercise more and eat fresh fruit and veg! Heard that before, anyone? Anyone read it?

Yes, I read that a few weeks ago. Someone referenced it on here somewhere (can’t remember who or which thread). They basically can’t be seen to back anything I guess, I can understand that but it is a very negative little write-up isn’t it. I’m sure people on here are shocking their doctors left right & centre though and there are a few doctors joining up themselves on various forums, so that says everything doesn’t it.

Toms, sorry to hear that you were so sick, and we missed you!

Hello Piper, thank you. The worst thing was couldn’t even read! Anyway, weigh in not ’til 19Th Nov. but have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks, so went to try on a pair of trousers never worn as they were a bit snug when bought – sure we’ve all done this – keep them, just need to lose a few pounds and they’ll be fine. Anyway the weight went the wrong way so they just never got worn. Well, the waist comes half way to my bust, the legs sweep the floor and they would flog me to death. Only tried them on a few weeks ago and they wouldn’t zip. Am absolutely astonished. Anyway as an aside as I put them back in the new wardrobe the bar broke and all the clothes fell to the floor. Oh well. Anyone fasting today? Thursday next for me.

lol and good for you. Is it time to get rid of the old?

toms

concerning immune system

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/1696/does-intermittent-fasting-improve-immune-function-through-autophagy

still not feeling super good

but did listen 2 a guy dr fung likes it was @ library

dowloaded audio

The Blood Sugar Solution
    The Ultrahealthy Program For Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, And Feeling Great Now!
    by Mark Hyman M.D.

In THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION, Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret solution to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels. Dr. Hyman describes the seven keys to achieving wellness-nutrition, hormones, inflammation, digestion, detoxification, energy metabolism, and a calm mind – and explains his revolutionary six-week healthy-living program. With advice on diet, green living, supplements and medication, exercise, and personalizing the plan for optimal results, the audiobook also teaches listeners how to maintain lifelong health. Groundbreaking and timely, THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION is the fastest way to lose weight, prevent disease, and feel better than ever.

anybody else reading something?
    take care

usa

USA, sorry you’re still feeling poorly, huge hug to you. Feeling nauseous is awful, hope you feel better soon. Not read much, like you still seem unable to completely shake off bug. However, met my friend today for coffee and shopping. Bought trousers as non of mine fit properly. Dead baggy! Sitting up late as OH is away for work and can’t sleep. May read your recommendation when I feel like it. Last couple of weeks couldn’t get back into fasting 2days, just did the 1, but this week have managed Monday. Somehow Thursdays seem ok.

toms

glad 2 hear from u

being off the fasting is a pain i had a nice rhythm

w/ dr fungs way

i feel like i gained weight will not check

just don’t feel right ugh

even listening 2 this book i turnned it off because i can’t practice it w/ fasting ugh ugh ugh

so now i’m listening 2 lisa kleypas very good regency writer

pure escape but funny

“Dead baggy!” cool 4 u 😀

USA, hope you get right and back on track. As you’re still unwell maybe you should eat regularly until you are ok. I ate nothing for 4 days and still haven’t got the fasting back to normal. Am currently doing 1 day and trying to do a second. If your body says eat for now we are better off eating as long as we don’t overdo it. Am weighing in tomorrow so will see if I have put any on. Fingers crossed! Don’t feel like doing much yet.

Just downloaded Tess of the D’Urdevilles by Thomas hardy. Thought I’d need cheering up today as have struggled to get back to normal after illness, but hey, lost 2lbs! So can bury myself in one of the best but most depressing books ever written! (They’re always the best I found)!

Toms, glad to see you are posting again, hope you start feeling up to par soon. I had to look twice at Tess for cheering up! ha ha! hope she does!

Piper, ha ha! Had I not lost weight would definitely not have Tess, would have had something cheerful. Don’t know if it’s normal or not, but I seem drawn to the deeply hard done by characters. Oh well. Hope you are well fasted and happy.

Tess of the D’Urbervilles? Cheering up? What?

Don’t take this the wrong way Toms but you’re a bit of a weirdo on the sly aren’t you. What’s next for a spot of light reading? Jude the Obscure? Maybe a spot of Crime & Punishment?

My mum loves all those hard luck case books too – laps ’em up. I appreciate the writing and accept that they’re good books but still consider reading that kind of stuff a bit of a chore. Glad you’re on the mend though and if that’s your way of cheering yourself up then I hope it works 😉

TracyJ & Piper. Well, did mean would need cheering up if I had failed to lose weight, but as I had lost 2 pounds felt I could cope with Tess! Didn’t need cheering up, see? Anybody watch the bbc production? Brill. Anyway, like all sorts not just miserable ones. Been reading lots of cheap crime novels that aren’t taxing and feel ready for a challenge. Your mum has excellent taste by the way, Tracy. I could cope with losing 2lbs per month. Thought it would get me down being so slow, but no. Anyone agree?

Hi @toms mantis,
    I agree! Slow change helps me to see what and why and the success makes the change more likely to be permanent. This keeps me going despite mishaps.

Yes Freefalling, we all have mishaps I suppose. As long as we keep on getting thinner and feeling better speed doesn’t come into it.

Currently reading “Sportwriter” Richard Ford
    To read, “Independence Day” Richard Ford and then his latest, “Canada”

His style reminds me of John Irving, “Say a prayer for Owen Meanie”

Listening to the novel “Vernon Little” in the car on the way to work.

Hi all!

beadybliss, I haven’t read anything by Richard Ford, but will give it a look.

I’ve been reading mostly nonfiction for a while. Also watched the Hobbit with my grandson. It was pretty fun and he’s excited about the sequel…wants to see that dragon!

Toms, Freefalling -agree 2lbs a month would get you there!

Hi all, while I have invested in modern technology (Kindle Fire) I still love the feel of a good book in my hands. I have recently gone for some classics, Hemmingways “For Whom The Bell Tolls”, “The Old Man and The Sea”, “To Have and Have Not”. Also reading books on the 2nd World War, reading of individual experiences of war is a very sobering experience. Have just got “Lord of The Flies” from the Library and have read a few pages. I think “Piggies” fate is already sealed. On a lighter note it is my grand daughters 6th birthday soon. I am reading the book I have bought her – “Now We Are Six” by A.A.MILNE. Fantastic poetry and the drawings are superb.
    “BUSY” – “I think I am a Muffin Man. I havent got a bell,
    I havent got the muffin things that muffin people sell.
    Perhaps I am a Postman. No, I think I am a Tram.
    Im feeling rather funny and I dont know what I am”.
    How can she not enjoy poetry like that?.
    Good luck to you all.
    PS- USA, am still keeping a weather eye on you.

couscous

i still luv green eggs & ham 😀

USA. Good to hear from you again. Glad you’re back on track. All, will have to broaden my reading judging by all the authors you all mention who I haven’t read. Daughter in law just gave me The Gift Of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. she says not a lot of laughs in it! Let you know how it goes.

Glad to hear you are a Kindle fan, couscous. On mine, I’m currently reading John Lanchester’s Capital, which I’m thoroughly enjoying, although readers outside the Smoke might find it a bit too London-centric. Kindle is a truly marvellous invention, especially when travelling. Trouble is, I’ve become a bit addicted and have collected 300+ books, around 180-200 still waiting to be read. My only criticism is that they are a bit useless when visuals are important, e.g. books on subjects like art, cookery and travel. Last year while on holiday in the USA we tried to explore the area around Prospect Park in Brooklyn where we were staying, using a Kindle book as our guide. In the end we gave up trying to decipher it and simply followed our noses. Quite apart from our two Kindles we have about 2,500 books around the place.

toms mantis. I recently read The Garden of Evening Mists by the same author. No, it ain’t a bundle of laughs but I found it moving and inspiring. I have The Gift of Rain on my Kindle but haven’t read it yet. Hopefully, it’s as good as The Garden. I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

Kindles are convenient. I can carry around a lot of books, but I miss the days when I could see what other people were reading. hermajtomomi, couscous-I also like the feel of an old-fashioned book and have too many, and for all ages. Couscous- loved the poetry. Your granddaughter is a lucky girl!

Have a kindle but love to have books. Had a mad clear out a few years ago and carted hundreds of books to the charity shop. Felt bereft and wanted to go and buy them all back! Anyway, haven’t started gift of rain yet, have visitors staying with me and no time, but will definitely comment when finished. Only fasting one day this week, Thursday when we are back to normal. Just a bit awkward when people are staying. Happy fasting and reading all.

toms mantis, I quite agree that fasting is difficult when people are staying, EVEN IF your guests are also fasting. It happened to us back in the summer. We went to stay with my cousin and his partner, who to our surprise and delight were also doing 5:2, with considerable success. However, our routines were completely different (they usually fasted on Saturday and Sunday), so we agreed to forget it for a few days. No harm was done and we had a great time together.

hi all

Awards: Nobel Prize in Literature

Alice Munro

never heard of her? so i went 2 my online library

& downloaded her audiobook called

Too Much Happiness

she is known 4

Alice Ann Munro is a Canadian author writing in English. Munro’s work has been described as having revolutionized the architecture of short stories, especially in its tendency to move forward and backward in time.

her book so far is excellent

mayb i should look 4 who won the nobels & c if i read them or other awards

toms mantis & all

thanks 4 all ur kind words

Tess of the D’Urbervilles was a very good book

however, way 2 depressing
    ugh would not read it again

i have a nook tablet which i changed 2 an android for 9$ @ http://www.androidfornook.com/
    w/ a kindle app

best of all worlds 😀

i know how it feels 2 give away books now i have maybe ten i gave everything 2 my library they luv books

but i felt the same wanted 2 go right back & borrow them again

pros 4 ebooks/mp3/wma

my rooms look zen like now

my books were taking over every room

no more dusting

can clean while listening

can listen doing the dishes/laundry/shopping/traffic/driving

can listen while on hold

whatever is boring in life can listen 2 a book

@ night b4 bed read an ebook while using the instant dictionary feature in overdrive learning new words instead of looking 4 the word in a large dusty dictionnary

CONS

a paperbook feels good

paperbook in a bathtub

out of charge (go 2 car & charge) did that when lost elec in storm 4
    2 days

will never know what people read anymore unless they let u look @ their ebooks 😉

still not the same as perusing someones books taste

use 2 spend super long hours in all kinds of bookstore. london has great bookstores! ny city 2

met interesting people in bookstores

any other pros & cons from all

USA, hi! Good to hear from you. Loved to handle books and liked to see them, to browse and choose what I would read next. But, as with you, they took over the house and were stacked on the floor when the shelves were full, so something had to give. When my youngest left home I lined his small room with shelves, but we had to do the room for the grandchildren to stay in. The Kindle is light and easy to read on these chilly nights in bed before you go to sleep. You can take your whole library with you when you go on holiday without having to choose which book to take. But, like you, still love to browse book shops wherever I go. Really, we can have the best of both worlds, as do still buy books. Happy fasting.

Will be back to normal tomorrow as my guest has left for Spain today. He commented on my OH’s weight loss and we discussed the FD lifestyle, but really I don’t think I made him understand how the plan works! Anyway he says he will have a go, so see what happens. May buy him the book and send it to him. About to begin getting the house back to normal! Fasting day tomorrow, start reading The Gift of Rain to help pass spare time. Fast well all.

http://storycorps.org/

this place records everything

Frequently Asked Questions
    ABOUT STORYCORPS
    What is StoryCorps

StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind. Since 2003, StoryCorps has collected and archived more than 50,000 interviews from more than 80,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. Millions listen to our weekly broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition and on StoryCorps’ Listen Page.

Re-reading War of the Worlds. Forgotten how good it is.

toms

still have this stupid cold won’t go away

r u listening 2 War of the Worlds

orson scott wells radio program was the best

USA, hi! So glad your posting again, but sorry you’re still not right yet. Hope you’re better properly soon. Reading war of the worlds, saw the film of Orson Wells radio broadcast. He was a clever, clever man. Will you still fast over the Christmas period? At the moment am sewing a table runner for my daughter in law. We are going to her house for lunch and this will be the first year I haven’t done a Christmas lunch! What are you doing? Take care of yourself.

toms

oh good u saw that

concerning xmas my sister wants 2 order thai vietnamese
    & peruvian chikchen & no cooking or anyone cooking

we r fine w/ that i like wgat dr fung said

“I think that the most important thing is to fit the diet into your lifestyle. I think that on occasions like xmas or thanksgiving, it is good to forget you are on a diet. Make up for it on the subsequent days. Nobody wants to be a party pooper.”

he is sweet isn’t he 😀

enjoy ur holiday & all

remember ur own personal library or wishful

libraries

now an ereader would replace all these slides & more 😀

http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/lost-in-a-library-12-epic-reading-rooms-slideshow/

Wouldn’t it be great to have a reading room? My OH had a birthday this weekend, so the family went out to eat. This included our grandchildren, ages 6 and 4. We bought them each a new book in case they got restless, and the 6 year old sat and read them both while waiting for his food! Another avid reader in the family! Also on a trip to the Christmas markets we went into a book shop to get away from the swarming crowds for a few minutes, and he took a book from a shelf and sat on the floor to read. Love book shops. No chairs to sit and browse. What are the book shops like where you are?

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply.