what r we reading/listening on fastdays or nonfastdays?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Mind Cognitive impact
what r we reading/listening on fastdays or nonfastdays?

This topic contains 250 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  mulville 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 252 total)

• i can’t go 2 sleep unless i read.

usa READING NOW

The New Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz and Dan S. Kennedy

wheatbelly audio

regency romances

just listened 2 pride & prejudice

anything like jane austen

always ken follett

always ee cummings

when in my teens 20’s

all the classics & modern classics
    from all over the world & the us

in french & spanish authors

ayn rand atlas shrugged

watership down

Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life by Maxwell Maltz (Aug 15, 1989)

tolkein

walt whitman

what ur mother never taught u

the kingdom all about the saudis

tom clancy’s books

when in my 30’s

sherlock holmes

pd james

the karpetta series

stephen king

anne rice the vampire one

merlin

can’t remember title
    all his cats solve murders

the distant mirror very good history nonfiction

when in my 40

gore vidal

re-listened 2 all classics since libraries r free

harry potter

smart women foolish choices

toms

Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes stories,
    George Orwell etc. White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and the Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon are 2 good books if ultimately depressing. A contrast is Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, which is funny. Was shocked by We Need To Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver. Have to shut up now as I’ll just go on and on forever about books. Studied English Lit at college, that’s the problem! The depressing ones could well send you to the biscuit barrel for comfort, so consider reading them carefully! Like Linda La Plant crime fiction. Brilliant. Fast and read well.

rocky

“I have fasted, so to speak, from fiction. I enjoy and focus on business, psychology and trendy books.”
    N.E.A.T.: Never. Eat. Alone. Today.
    It’s expanded from the book: Never Eat Alone:

tells us rocky what r the titles?

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1 😀 & reading !!!

@wiltldnrusa
    “tells us rocky what r the titles?”

I’ve downloaded 3 books that has some possibilities to challenge me:

Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
    Taleb, Nassim Nicholas

http://www.amazon.com/Antifragile-Things-That-Gain-Disorder-ebook/dp/B0083DJWGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1382376060&sr=1-1&keywords=Antifragile%3A+Things+That+Gain+from+Disorder

Extreme Productivity: Boost Your Results, Reduce Your Hours
    Pozen, Robert C.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Productivity-Boost-Results-Reduce-ebook/dp/B007HBLNSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1382376139&sr=1-1&keywords=Extreme+Productivity%3A+Boost+Your+Results%2C+Reduce+Your+Hours

The Start-up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
    Hoffman, Reid, Casnocha, Ben

http://www.amazon.com/The-Start-up-You-Yourself-Transform-ebook/dp/B0050DIWHU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1382376223&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Start-up+of+You%3A+Adapt+to+the+Future%2C+Invest+in+Yourself%2C+and+Transform+Your+Career+borrowed+Hoffman%2C+Reid%2C

Now, I’ll see if fasting can improve my brain & knowledge capacity.

I’ll be reading on feed or fast days and I’ll probably be better on fast days with comprehension.

There are no rules except getting smarter while slimming?

That makes a weird visual.

thanks

“There are no rules except getting smarter while slimming?”

so cool nice viz

toms

u being an english guru

that reminded me of a book all the critics loved awards etc that i read & hated

Gravity’s Rainbow
    Book by Thomas Pynchon
    ugh
    what was the point of that book toms???

Hi USA, there are a few books when I’ve thought ‘what???’ One being, (and this could be unpopular), Moby Dick. Everyone said how brilliant it was and how it changed their lives. Ugh! Bored me witless.loved Gregory Peck in the film though! Couldn’t get to the end of Catch 22 either, but tried really hard. Another I loved was Never Let Me Go. Most depressing read since 1984. Over to others.

toms

this book has a sentence that jolted me

still trying 2 find my book 4 the exact sentence

u r cruel or u r nice it does not matter about what regime or religion

u r still cruel or nice

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Chang, Jung (Oct 27, 2011)

toms

agree ugh moby dick

the movie of Catch-22
    1970 Film was good book ugh 2

i’ve red so many books u & i

will become boring

even though it’s interesting 2 know what people like/ugh

& it does help on fastdays 😀

ur right over 2 others

Yes read that one USA. Can’t remember the exact wording either, long time since I read it. Tend to give books away or lend them out and never see them again. My next read is Life of Pi also have Salmon fishing in the Yemen in the queue.

Oh, just a thought. What do you think about modern authors re-writing Jane Austen? Awful or good? First one is being published tomorrow, Pride and Prejudice.

toms

re-writing really?

seems criminal

however,

if its good hmmm

i mean the series on bbc with Colin Firth is still my favorite

lent that 2 someone ugh 8 vhs tapes u can c how old i am 🙂

i mean if they r using a medium which would be

the jane austin style & idea

if i were jane austin living i would be flattered

& would rake in a royalty of 99.99999% for the idea

however, would that b prostituting ur art?

what do u think?

i’ve often said that they should have different

producers directors on harry potter movies

weird no? everyone thinks i’m nuts but i so enjoy them

oh i did read that Stieg Larsson all in one could not put it down

when the movie came out it was good

however the series on netflix in swedish w/ subtitles was superb

well got 2 post 2day’s reversal menu
    it’s different

hope ruthi likes it

she is my very tough guard dog 😀

USA part of me thinks it would be prostituting your art really, but hey, we all have to earn a living! I borrowed the video of P&P from our local library. Loving that version may have had more to do with Colin Firth than just the story I fear. Read the Stieg Larsson trilogy, very food, but not seen any film version of them yet.

Hi, do you think that food instead of good was a typo or a Freudian slip!?

Oooo – this is a fun thread. I loves a read I do!

toms – I hope you enjoy Life of Pi. I left it on a book shelf for about 5 years before I finally read it but couldn’t shut up about it for weeks after I’d read it. Can’t imagine how they’ve made a film of it? Weird! I’ve read Salmon Fishing too, it’s well written but for me it wasn’t the most compelling read (definitely not in the same league as Pi anyway).

I’m with you both on Moby Dick – I’m not even going to attempt it – I have this irritating thing where if I start a book I feel I have to finish it, so I’m pretty careful now to pick up only that which I am likely to get on with. No more Dickens for me after Old-Curiosity-Shop-gate – let’s just put it that way (that’s 6 weeks of my life I’ll never see again – avoid!!!).

I’m loving a bit of scandinavian literature recently too – Let the Right One In is a brilliant book and another of Lidqvist’s ‘Harbour’ is also one I’d recommend. I get what you mean about 1984 and totally agree but I don’t mind something a bit bleak as long as it’s genuinely good and has something interesting to say or is in some way compelling, so yeah, I guess I’d lump them and A Clockwork Orange/ Lord of the Flies etc. in together – Bleak but Brilliant 😉

USA – there have been a few ‘modern takes’ on Austen books over the years. They’ve been mostly done on film (10 Things I hate About You/ Clueless etc.) but Bridget Jones’ Diary is basically Pride & Prejudice if you actually break it down. Helen Fielding’s heroin is a bit less sophisticated than Lizzie Bennet but she’s just as clueless when it comes to spotting a good bloke.
    I’m interested, are you mostly into the manners and convention aspect? Do you like the Bronte’s too? There’s also Elizabeth Gaskell if you have an interest in the changing cultural fallout of the industrial revolution. I love her book North & South and she was definitely a big Charlotte Bronte fan, as you can see aspects of Shirley bleeding through in her writing. I love to see how writers affect eachothers work.

The reading experience is continually enhanced with the iPad and now all Apple Macs.

Apple announcement live streamed on Apple TV and will have iBooks on the Mac.

New, free operating system.

For those that enjoy reading, this is another leap forward.

TracyJ, I adore bleak but good books, that’s my downfall! Read North and South at college but didn’t like it much. As I remember, it was a bit too white hats and black hats. Will probably start Pi this week. Just Re-read Pride and Prejudice. Love it. I like the language used. Us readers must try to keep this thread going. Fast on.

Rockyromero, have Kindle and we have an IPad, so get most of my reading on them. Nothing beats going and mooching around a book shop though.

@ toms mantis
    “Nothing beats going and mooching around a book shop though.”

Actually there is, or at least close to that.

Through an app: Overdrive, anyone can access their libraries’ digital books and download for free.

toms

will probably read it 😀

i so enjoyed listening 2 pride & prejudice found the right narrator it has 2 b English the right one

not american it just did not work

i will try 2 find all the titles/authors connected 2 her

variations

there was one that i liked that was the continuation of p/p it was so long but not bad

& there is a book that completed a book she never finished which i think was fiction

i’m terrible i never can remember authors titles etc

i think i will go 2 good reads.com i think a long time ago i clicked on all the books i read

from nonfiction/ science/ history 2 fantasy

it’s like my music from opera / classical 2 punk heavy/death metal

but mostly reading/listening 2 books now

music is no longer in the 4front

what was ur reading during decades? 10yrs right 4got

happy reading/listening

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1 😀

toms

was going 2 write that exact same thing

but then looked @ the keyboard

if u r a great typist it was a Freudian slip!

if u r not like me 😀 then it was the typo

tracy

oooooooooooo 2 u back

fellow reader it is fun isn’t it?

let the right one in was excellent

& i don’t like vampire books never read twilight

Lidqvist’s ‘Harbour? what is that about?

“I guess I’d lump them and A Clockwork Orange/ Lord of the Flies etc. in together – Bleak but Brilliant ;)”

so so true

i don’t know what is

but now regency romance meidival romance is my escape

i think it happened when i read this article from a male psychologist

when something bad happenned 2 u he said u have 2 get in2 practice in luving again

best way is 2 read romance

i’m so surprised how very good these writers r

& the visualizations r so so cool

but poetry is cool 2
    still like notes 2 myself by Hugh Prather

i could go on & on can’t u tell it’s fastday 😀

meant 2 say toms like me a bad typist

rocky

overdrive is now it

our bookstores @ least around here no longer exist

they went out of business

thank the universe 4 our library

amazon it used 2 b their second hand books

way less expensive now ebooks/audiobooks r free from the library

just now i put grain brain on hold @ the online library

i no longer get magazines now zinio @ the online lbry gives me every-kind of magazine 4 free from science 2 even bbc foods magazine

i wander how the uk

how is the library system in england uk’ers?

i would assume it is the same everyone

u read ebooks emagazines & download wma’s or mp3’s

right

@wiltldnrusa

“overdrive is now it
    our bookstores @ least around here no longer exist”

Same here or sporadically.

Upgrading iPads iPhone and Mac just in time for fresher reading experiences.

Apple has made all the upgrades free, including more of the software.

This makes learning and communicating much easier.

This is how we use extra fasting time more productively.

ooops medieval

don’t have an apple my sis does will tell her
    just a nook tablet i changed 2 an android @ androidfornook

it was 9$

by the way
    thanks 4 all ur info/replies on all posts 😀

Rockyromero, will definitely check out overdrive when I get the chance. Thanks, never heard of it before.

Hi USA, my vocab is no worse or better than anyone else’s but sometimes there’s only one word that’ll do to describe something. My typing is crap!! So we’ll go for a typo. The latest re-writing of P &P is by Joanna Trollope, not recommending it, because I haven’t read it. Not sure I will. UK libraries, now that can be a sore point. I live in a major city, so it’s not so bad, although quite a few of those have been affected, but in the country libraries have closed and some are run by volunteers. DON’T get me started! Hardly any new books in, run on very few staff. Their main thing seems to be to provide internet access and computer access these days. Can hear myself preaching, so will shut up. Fast well.

Hi All, Re: North & South, I think I was affected by the fact that I read it after I’d seen the 2004 BBC adaptation (which was AMAZINGLY GOOD), so I may have been slightly predisposed to love that book but I think it was genuinely good too and I like her other books too.

Harbour is a pretty creepy, kind of ghost/fantasy element story but set very much in the ‘warts & all’ real world. Very atmospheric.

I have a decent library in my local town and I’m sure the one in the nearest City is super dooper but I tend to buy my books in charity shops mostly. I like the well read feel & smell of a used book (and it’s nice to contribute to charity) but the local library tends not to have a huge amount of the stuff I’d want to read and I did all the ‘modern classics’ etc. at school or during college years/my 20s.

USA – yeah, I’m not much into vampire books either, never bothered with Twilight (had to sit through the film twice and that was bad enough). I’ve bought a bunch of the True Blood series, on a recommendation from a friend, but haven’t started them yet. If you want to try some genuinely good literature aimed at an adolescent audience have a go at the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pulman. The first 2 are the best but the 3rd is not quite up to their quality (IMO).
    If you like a historical novel with a bit of romance thrown in, then Phillipa Gregory is a good port of call. Her Wars of the Roses series is not absolutely historically accurate but with that period any writer would have to come at it from an angle and she’s better than most. The books are definitely better than the slightly soapified BBC adaptation they just put out (The White Queen) anyway.

Hi, agree wholeheartedly about His Dark Materials. Also, The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time by Mark Haddon for adolescents. And re Phillipa Gregory. Like Thomas Hardy, especially Tess of the D’Urbevilles. BBC adaptation of that was brilliant. (If you can call something so bleak brilliant)! I love this thread so much, feel I should start another about the diet. Oh dear. Fasting tomorrow, so will begin Pi then.

I absolutely second Curious Incident, what a fantastic book. It’s totally different subject matter but weirdly it reminded me of Iain Banks’ Wasp Factory – did anyone else feel that? May just be me. I’ve also read Mark Haddon’s A Spot of Bother and that’s a really good read too.

Can’t wait for you to get into Pi. It’s a bit difficult to get into from what I remember but it totally sweeps you away once you’re in its ‘pull’.

If anyone’s looking for a really good read other than the books already mentioned in the thread I’d like to put a shout out for some of my all time faves:

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold – I’m told the author’s other work is pale in comparison but my friends & I went mental for CBTD a few years ago. It’s about a San Franciscan magician in the 30s.

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. His other books are good too (esp the short stories) but I love TBOLT. I think it’s supposed to be for teenagers but it’s a very grown up fairy tale basically. The brothers Grimm would have papped themselves if they’d come across some of these characters. There’s a version of the book where all the fairy tales are compared to Grimm counterparts too – v. good.

Bone House by Betsy Tobin (The Bounce is also good). Set in some undisclosed place in an undisclosed period, around the 16th/17th century, in rural England. A young maid plays sleuth, trying to find out who killed an enegmatic friend and popular woman of the town (who also happened to be the ‘town bike’). There’s also a bit of a romance and her mum is a bit of a witch (not a pointy hat & wand one but the kind that actually existed at the time and might well have ended up on a bonfire if her neighbours took against her).

The Crimson Petal & the White by Michael Faber (also The Apple). Fantastic Dickens-esque (but actually readable) tale of prostitution, social climbing and the roles of women in Victorian society. Definitely dark but good.

Oh and if you like ‘Classics like P&P and Jane Eyre etc. and also like a bit of gothic fantasy (vampires, warewolves, sea monsters etc.) then there have been a few ‘reimaginings’ of classics recently. Try searching for Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters, Jane Slayer or Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter. The Queen Victoria one is a bit rubbish actually but it’s funny in parts and the others are actually really good and surprisingly faithful to the plots of the originals.

The grapes of wrath. May try one of the above, don’t normally read horrors etc. recommend some please.

Sorry – totally not horror (All I could offer in that category would be Dracula & The Historian) but your mention of The Grapes of Wrath reminded me of one of my fave comic authors. In the same kind of vain as Terry Pratchet, there’s Robert Rankin, who’s books are almost always set in Brentford, star a stable of the same recurring characters and also recurring jokes and phrases. They are often brilliantly funny and he has a knack of picking a hilarious title (in fact I think the title probably comes first and he just finds a way to make a story fit it) like: The Sprouts of Wrath, The Brentford Chainstore Massacre, East of Ealing, Raiders of the Lost Carpark, Nostradamus Ate my Hamster, Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, The Toymanator, The Brightonomicon etc. etc. etc.

toms

i don’t c p&p by her just

Jo Baker’sLongbourn (2013), which retells the story of Pride and Prejudice from below stairs. this i have on audiohold @ library i’m 8th in line

Joanna Trollope’s much-anticipated contemporary reworking of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility.

Two sisters could hardly be more different.
    Elinor Dashwood, an architecture student, values discretion above all. Her impulsive sister Marianne displays her creativity everywhere as she dreams of going to art school.
    But when the family finds itself forced out of Norland Park, their beloved home for twenty years, their values are severely put to the test.
    Can Elinor remain stoic knowing that the man she likes has been ensnared by another girl? Will Marianne’s faith in love be shaken by meeting the hottest boy in the county? And when social media is the controlling force at play, can love ever triumph over conventions and disapproval?

Joanna Trollope casts Sense & Sensibility in a fresh new light, re-telling a coming-of-age story about young love and heartbreak, and how when it comes to money especially, some things never change…

did u read that one?

our small town libraries r super small just like the uk they r not surviving

but @ least they do have comp & internet
    which is better than a closed/gone library

all my life even when there were not any computers i’m always/still so shocked on how many people do not read anything newspaper/magazine/books or any online or/audio/podcast version they just don’t read
    just tv

i like tv 2

however, books r always better
    because ur mind will always b the best producer director cinematographer etc

i must admit i now have created & pulled the news if i want a french south american spanish top world news top us news breaking news local news
    yahoo let’s any topic in from all over the world hmm should look up fasting & u can create ur own buttons

i no longer have a papernewspaper 😀

the one magazine i read from cover 2 cover is called
    the week it pulls all the news /politics/economics/laughter/good news (great title)
    world/entertainment art & much more do u have that in the uk?
    it’s not free yet @ ezine library sigh

i like the usa today app 4 my tablet
    it is the only one that gives continuously breaking news all others don’t even though they say they will send breaking news

by the way i think u write very well

i’m no longer hung up on correcting or cringing on spelling grammar syntax it’s kind of laissez -faire

i still do cringe @ myself once in awhile 😀

however @ the work
    yes, it must be professional

yay 2day nonfastday! what r u 2day?

toms & TracyJ & rocky

i’m not much 4 zombies horror murder anymore

but then i red let the right one a ken follet’s
    or watch dexter & it blows it all out the water

oooooo i will respond 2 all ur post on the books

u have red/recommend/willread

i will have 2 bookmark this thread so i can go back to consistently read research book it is soooooooooooooooooo nice 2 meet readers & i will respond soon especially phillipa

the pi book i red in 2000’s

i seem 2 remember giving 2 1/2 star it felt like a regurgitation of philosophies can’t remember why it was just ok

however,

these books u have 2 listen audio-ally it was so so funny romance comedy have not red in ebook format

Since You’re Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
    by Dixie Cash

My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
    by Dixie Cash

Don’t Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)
    by Dixie Cash

I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
    by Dixie Cash

Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)
    by Dixie Cash

Heart Of A Warrior (Ly-San-Ter #3)
    by Johanna Lindsey

again audio-ally only

the robot is funny

this was the only one of the san ter serie i listened 2

i mean when i’m shopping 4 food

i laughed out loud embarrassed myself listening 2 these books which is rare in books period

bye 4 now
    this is so much fun
    will post mayb by the end of the week responses however keep posting 😀

toms & all

The grapes of wrath. ooooo that was good 2

do u guys go 2 goodreads.com?

i only used it 2 have a record of what i read

so i listened 2 a book while doing it a long time ago

i had multiple ids because they send recommended books based on what u red

mayb we can share all the books between us

i think & copy paste it here

because this thread is such a joy

it might b simpler

USA will look into it. It’s official. I’m stupid! You’re right, it is S&S not P&P which has been re written. Was re reading P&P at the time, my only excuse. Apologies. Edith Wharton, House of Mirth and Ethan Frome. How depressing were they? But so so good.

oops we r getting criticized 4 having this topic

but when i think about how much u/we/all contribute on this lifestyle

what’s wrong w/ sharing something of joy that helps us

through this lifestyle

Edith Wharton, House of Mirth and Ethan Frome. How depressing were they? But so so good.

yes depressing in fact those were the only 2 i red
    refused 2 read more

mc beaton audio in romance not the mysteries

she is a small gem of escape

goodnight

Hi USA, if people are complaining about this,will quit it and indeed the forum. Am not one for the internet much, this is the only forum I’ve ever used. Do you know of anywhere where this topic could be discussed as we have here? Have enjoyed this more than anything else on the forum so perhaps am just on the wrong forum! Fasting today. Fast well.

Don’t quit toms. It’s one thread. They can’t begrudge us one thread on here that will actually get used rather than just “question – answer – done”.

toms

“Am not one for the internet much, this is the only forum I’ve ever used”

yep i mostly red b4

but once i started this lifestyle

& found this forum. it is such a joy

i like the freedom of this board never have cared 4
    crassness but i just ignore it.

i would hate 2 c u leave this forum
    this thread is 1 thread that i enjoy the most 2

still luv 2 research & help

did u look @ what i said in this thread about goodreads

do u know mc beatons work especially

The Travelling Matchmaker series

happy reading & nonfastdays & fastdays & 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1 😀

TracyJ

“rather than just “question – answer – done”.

i do like that 2 because there were allot of people who helped me just like u have

however,

the 1 thread on books is such a joy 😀

we all have something called choice

whom 2 read
    whom we can reply 2
    whom not 2 waste our energy on due 2 who knows 4 what reason

same question about mc beaton’s in the post 2 toms

i luv how google let’s u highlight & search instantly will be doing that w/ the books u recommended also what about goodreads?

happy reading & nonfastdays & fastdays & 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1

oooo

this sounds good
    Carter Beats the Devil
    is a complex and illuminating story of one man’s journey through a magical and sometimes dangerous world, where illusion is everything

will look 4 it @ library

well it is a lchfmediterranean nonfastday

it’s time 2 eat

any good cookbooks u have found all?

i’ll list some later finding many free ones @
    amazon

happy reading w/ nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) 😀

USA & TracyJ, both so kind. Was really cheesed off because of the killjoys on here. It’s not only us and this thread in the firing line, as you probably know. Thing is I enjoy the forum virtually meeting people like you two. Will give it a bit longer, see if we get thrown out!! Anyway, fasting today, not been hungry at all, but ate tonight as OH was home and was starving! Anyone else fasting today? Hope it goes well if you are.

toms

fasting 2morrow

hang in there find us some books 2 read/listen 😀

so we can use on fastday

USA, South, the story of Shackleton’s expedition to the Antarctic. Bit heavy going to start, but soon picks up speed. Brill. Fast well tomorrow.

toms

oooo will check library

toms

4 ur fastday

please please watch this vid would like ur comments

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/2013-results-what-2-eat-2-reduce-high-risk-diseases/#post-14811

happy fastday

sorry

tracy rocky & all 2

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply.