The 31 day October Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The 31 day October Challenge

This topic contains 1,627 replies, has 93 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,628 total)

• Good luck with the exercises Lou Belles. Big jumps in weight usually tend to resolve in a week or so if you don’t continue with the behaviour that set them off in the first place. Bit of fluid here, a bit of transit there.
    Thank you Northern Dawn for your advice on the big goals. We did the buddy system in a previous challenge and my buddies and I went for the 6lb, but that ended up being over 7 weeks, and I lost 8lb, but was too strict and have had major problems getting back onto an even keel. Haven’t seen that low weight since. So slow and steady can perhaps be the better option.
    Go HollyLJ. The left over scraps are better in the bin than on your body.
    Yours is not an easy row to hoe, Janey. I hope your pain settles and that you can make 5:2 work even better for you.
    Thanks Coda for pointing Mytimenow in the right direction. You are on my list, Mytimenow. Look forwards to your daily posts.
    Love your posts NorrieB. I read them with interests.
    Hi Merry. Nice to see you back in this group of challengers. We are in for a good month leading into summer here. Thinking about taking up the occasional swim.

Liverpool UK
    Day 2 non fast day
    Did not post stats before so here goes
    Weight 190 pounds 13 stones and 6 pounds
    Target for Oct to lose min 4 pounds ideally 7 half a stone
    Exercise Walk 3 times per week for 1 hour
    Reduce alcohol to once per week

Day 2 U.K.
    NFD.
    Breakfast – cold roast chicken 100g
    Half an avocado
    4 walnut halves
    Tbsp cider vinegar
    Out today for late pub lunch. Will be mindful and drink lots of water.
    Merry me- great to see you back. Can you post what you might eat on an NFD. Good to see others choices.
    Happy Sunday everyone.

Scotland
    Day 2 NFD

My 1st FD tomorrow in about a year so nervous & excited to get going. Mindfully eating today.

Gozo, Malta
    Day 2

Holly it’s better food in the dustbin than fat on your hips.

Jayney in front such a malady as cancer all else seem frivolous. Take care, I said a little prayer for you and all those battling with cancer.

Today I woke up, went to mass at 7.00 and then after getting home I just had coffee with semi skimmed milk about 25 calories. I didn’t have anything else as we ordered Chinese food for lunch and that’s high in calories. Then I drove to a five star hotel where I had booked a massage for one hour. I could use the spa and my sister in law who happened to be the receptionist there today showed me what I could use of the spa. I just went to the gym and walked and ran on the treadmill for an hour. I didn’t use the swimming pool as it was time for the message. The message was very relaxing and it was a good way to treat myself.

Then it was time to pick up the Chinese food. I only had about two plates of Chinese food which I took care not to fill completely. I refrained from having my usual glass or two of wine on Sunday. As a treat I drunk a local diet soda.

Yesterday I stayed lower than my TDEE. I made a carrot cake which I would like to sample later on today. Then I’ll just have a yogurt or a fruit only for supper.

Tomorrow is a fast day for my husband and I.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Onwards and downwards.

Day 2 | Ohio, USA | NFD
    Weight: 130.8 lb (59.3 kg)

Hi all. Tomorrow’s my first fast day during this challenge (I started last week and had 2 fast days then). Was at big birthday dinner Friday night and so did pretty good yesterday, eating healthily normal. Today will try to do the same with some exercises throughout the day. Be well everyone!

Good Morning, Day Two. NFD, hubby and grandson’s birthday party ! I ate a lot more yesterday than I have all week, or more likely it just seemed that way as I didn’t go over my TDEE allotment. It was all good healthy food, no junk – but today I plan to eat less. Tomorrow is a fast day and I actually look forward to those. I did up the exercise yesterday and that felt good. Lots of water and ginger tea.

Want to say that I have read every single reply (get them as emails so I don’t miss any). I am proud to be among such a great group and wish you all the very best. I want those who are ill or battling medical conditions to know that I have sent up a prayer for you.

Cool and clear in the Ozarks, 59 degrees but will be up to 77 this afternoon. I won’t eat anything until about two so I guess I technically am doing an 18 or 19 hour fast since last night, never eat before church. Hope to not overdo at the party (although I must admit the peanut butter cheesecake pie I made that is resting in the fridge looks mighty good and there will be pies and cake that join it. We shall see !) Enjoy your day all.

Day 2 USA (Illinois)

FD for me today. Don’t think I will try liquid only, but will do my 1/4 TDEE late afternoon. Often I don’t sleep well after FD’s, but always find I am happy to have done them when I get on the scale!

So good to see long-time friends posting again with this challenge. I have been happy with my nearly 1# per week loss for the last 28 weeks on 5:2, and hope this 4 week challenge will help me lose my last 2 for my current goal. I want to see if my body will maintain 160# through the holidays.

Quebecoise – thanks for the Bonne Journee! BTW my last name is ‘French’ so I loved it even more. I never studied the language but have picked up some along my life!

Day 2|NFD|Toronto
    Sore from a day of unfamiliar heavy labour yesterday helping a friend break up an old concrete driveway. His 10 year old twin daughters made chocolate cookies and brought them out to us from the oven…oh well, today is a new day and tomorrow is a FD.

Day 2 NFD USA

Weight 207

Tomorrow will be my 1st fd and I am a little nervous that I may screw it up.
    Am I correct in saying that if I start my fd monday at 6am it’s over tuesday at 6am. I think i’m over thinking it

Any tips or advice are appreciated

Thank you and good luck to everyone

Day 3 FD 4 miles on the treadmill. I’ve gained weight this weekend. . .ARGH!!!!
    HollyLJ…Haha! Human dustbin! That sounds like me too! I don’t like throwing food out either. I just need to keep telling myself it’s better in the dustbin than on my hips! I need to find some needy kids I can give my homemade chocolate caramels to!

Murphy60: I start timing my fast days from whenever I last eat the evening before, (Sunday, in this case) for 24 hours….or 36 if you want to include the Monday night as well and go to Tuesday breakfast. You can eat 500 calories, if you want to, during this period. Good luck.

Thank you Ciren2 for the feedback. I’ll let you know how it goes

Seattle, WA/NFD

I’m new to this forum and appreciate the wealth of information here. Fuvvie – thank you for the welcome.

I didn’t write my starting, current, and goal weight in my initial post but thought I’d note it here:

SW: 188 (85.5 kg)
    CW: 186 (84.5 kg)
    GW: 150 (68.1 kg)

I’m 50 years old, and 5’0″. At 150, I will re-evalute to decide what to do from there. The goal is to get off my medication and lower my A1C (I’m prediabetic).

Today is Day 2 and it’s a feed day. While yesterday was also a feed day, I do feel lighter. It may because of the choice of foods I made. I’ll begin my fast tonight and go until Tuesday morning (fingers crossed).

I look forward to learning a lot from this group.

Day 2. Fla USA. FD. Unfortunate 3 pound gain after a 6 day road trip… So I am back on the program. Fast day looking at 38 hour tea coffee and water. I will get up feeling so clean and healthy tomorrow and that keeps me going. Biggest problem – lack of excerise.
    Got to get back to the gym and daily walks. Looking forwsrd to a great month. Stay strong.

Day 2 Taunton UK.
    NFD
    Just lunch today as we went out for a Sunday lunch carvery and a glass of red wine.
    We travel home tomorrow, it’ll be lovely to be home again!!!
    Fast day tomorrow – looking forward to it. My system needs a rest!

Well Fuvvie you are going to be kept busy updating your spreadsheet, so many of us on this journey. Thankyou for reposting Codas post – so helpful!

All the very best of luck to those new to 5.2 and those who have been on this road for a while. Happy week!

Hi Fuvvie –

I’m new to this forum, as well as to this challenge and I wondered if there is specific information that you need or prefer that would help make tracking easier. Thank you for your help! Suzan

NZ Day 3 FD

Looking forward to a fast today, I’ve been doing liquids only until the evening then I eat about 450 cals with the family. I’ve found I need something or my sleep is terrible and we all know sleep is an essential part of the weight loss journey so I feel quite comfortable with this routine.

I have to admit to a very indulgent weekend, we were away to the holiday house and I have a definite mindset issue when we are there.
    I feel a sense of permission to relax as soon as I walk in the door, unfortunately that permission to relax extends to all my choices and healthy eating falls off the balcony along side my make up and hair straighteners!!!

On the positive side I do a daily hill climb there that’s absolutely beautiful and really intense exercise.

Back home to normal today, looking forward to my fast as I always seem to do.

I’m going to use my freedom from thinking about food today to plan my NFDs for this week, at least as far as the two consecutive days starting tomorrow.
    I really must keep focused on the NFD to see my under 60kg goal by the end of October.

I can’t keep up with individual replies but always read each post so welcome to the other NZer I saw pop up and everyone else committed to the challenge for October.

London | Day 2 | NFD

Spin (45min) and hot yoga (60min) in the morning. Total of 7800 steps.
    Definitely went above my TDEE with food – gave into post exercise hunger 🙁

FD tomorrow. TRX class after work.

All the best everyone!

London | Day 2 | NFD

Spin (45min) and hot yoga (60min) in the morning. Total of 7800 steps.
    Definitely went above my TDEE with food – gave into post exercise hunger 🙁

FD tomorrow. TRX class after work.

All the best everyone!

Hi, I hope I’m not too late to join in with the October challenge – what do I do next?

Perth/Australia/Day 3/FD

Lovely day at the winery and rather naughty with regards to food consumption. Hoping that now that is out of the way I can concentrate on healthier eating between fasts.

Fasting today will be a challenge as I’ll be at work. I usually get stressed and then comfort eat all the wrong foods. I’ve decided that I’ll use the lunch break to get in a half hour walk along the Swan River, which is rather uplifting after looking at numbers all morning. It gets me away from temptation and knocks over the exercise component of my challenge.

Have a good day folks 😊

Day 2: Pacific NW USA, NFD

Welcome, Susie. It’s pretty simple and it’s never too late to get healthy! Fuvvie will add you to the list and track our like-minded, world wide support team for the month. We post everyday with our geographic location, the day of the month and whether it’s a FD or NFD for you. You can add any other details or not as you wish. A couple of other resources on this site, if you want, you can also go to ‘Your Profile’ at the top right of the page and add a little bit about yourself so throughout the month as we all keep reading the posts we can get a bit of a reminder about who you are. Also, if you want to use the ‘Your Tracker’ at the top right you can track your own personal journey with 5:2.

I’m having a little relapse of the old injury I thought I was all over. I will still try one more dose of Advil and whether or not I have relief will still walk with OH to do our marketing this afternoon.

On a really good note, our SF Giants just gained one of the Wildcard spots in the World Series playoffs and so my only wardrobe choices tomorrow will be which orange and black garb to wear!

Coda, thanks for your advice. My BMR is 1147 and My TDEE is 1376 calculated at sedentary. I exercise daily but I calculated TDEE at sedentary. My BMR at goal weight is 1074 and TDEE is 1289. I have been using my goal weight for TDEE so that is why my average calorie intake is under 1000 calories a day, figuring in 2 days of 500 calories. I guess 1/4 TDEE would only be 322 calories but I don’t know if I could do that.

Australia, NFD, day 3
    I’m a Mon -Thurs faster but shifting Mon to Tues this week for little granddaughter’s “Breakfast Restaurant” this public holiday morning.

Hi to lovely friends from past challenges😊 and Lael, hi to you over here too, and congrats on reaching maintenance😊
    For newbies, duck over to the Info for newbies thread by simcoeluv. It’s an excellent introduction to the practicalities of 5:2

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

London | Day 2 | NFD

It’s been a good day. Managed to fit in 64 minutes of cross trainer this morning before the kids got up 🙂

Plank: 1x 45 secs | 1 x 20 secs = 1 min 5 secs
    Arms: nothing | Haven’t decided on exercise yet. Wanted to do triceps dips but apparently they are bad for you…anyone have any recommendations?

@hollylj love the bit about “Slim Christmas Holly”. I try to do the same in order to make healthier choices – HealthyTanja would eat this over that, HealthyTanja chooses good food and ignores the rest. Getting better at it all the time 🙂

@scooterbug good luck for your first FD in a year tomorrow! You can do it!

Australia Day 3 NFD

US, Day 2, NFD>120.3

30 minutes of weight training. Ugh….then I picked up a kettlebell this afternoon.

FD tomorrow. I found some dried shredded seaweed for my miso.

USA (Minnesota) Day 2 NFD
    Stayed under TDEE (of goal weight) by about 125 calories. Worked in garden today. Tomorrow is a FD. Coffee, tea, water, home-made bone broth and perhaps a light supper if I’m hungry.
    I do weigh daily but I will only post it occasionally, usually on Fridays. The scale use to upset me when I would see a gain, but since weighing daily for a couple months now, it doesn’t phase me at all to see a couple pounds up or down. Though I do prefer the downs. It’s all about the trend. And weighing daily helps me “catch” a 3-4 lb shift upwards quickly and then do something about it before it settles in. (But if it bothers you to see an increase, I think you should stick to after FD weigh-ins, once or twice weekly.)

I hope you feel better soon, b2tf, and I don’t mind being mixed up with someone of your strength and wisdom, either! 😊 So you struggle with perfectionism? I’d have never guessed. 😉 I’m sure you’ve heard the sage advice: “Perfect is the enemy of good”. Here’s another one I like to say to myself:
    “People prefer pleasant to perfection”. It helps me to stop stressing.
    Good luck to everyone, and have a great tomorrow (Monday)!

E Canada Day 2 NFD

Mainly shopping today, so no exercise.

Consumed calories: est 1010 to 1100
    TDEE, lightly active: about 1500

Tweed Coast Australia / Day 3 / FD

Still catching up on energy and hunger balancing after that sleepless night and early start. I find loss of sleep can take me up to a week to overcome. So doesn’t surprise me that I’m extra hungry today on my FD. So far I’ve been okay managing. I just took a teaspoon full of L-Carnitine which helped a lot. I’m suddenly no longer hungry! Yay! Haven’t worked out what else I’ll eat. It’s only 1 pm and I tend to wait until at least 2 pm on a FD to consume a first meal. I’ve just opened myfitnesspal web page to decide how to use my 351 calories for the day!

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 3: FD
    the peanut butter cheesecake pie, linda Sue? Who dreamt up such ingredients. I’m sure it will taste delicious, but I have never heard of this particular temptation before.
    Scooterbug, Hope your FD gives you the thrill the anticipation seems to be engendering.
    August2024, who could turn down cookies made lovingly by twin 10 year old girls. The excitement and anticipation of the joy on receiving such a gift would be hard to turn your back on and unnecessary in the overall scheme of things. I think it was Lolly who said you can have what you want, not just as much of what you want.
    Suzank, I’m just noting peoples’ goals and a bit about exercises and marking in when they sign in and if it is an FD. It’s all good information. I just wonder what one does with it at the end of the month after all weight losses, plateaux and gains. It would be good if everyone was able to see it, but I don’t know how to do that. There’s nothing secret in it, just what people have put up on the thread.

Welcome susiecarp. I can see you have been given the good advice by B2tF and Merryme.

Have said goodbye to daughter No3 and her family this morning a couple of hours ago. With 6 grandchildren all having Nerf wars around the house and making sure MIL is ok, forgot to weigh and have now been at the computer for over an hour. Will have another session this evening. It ‘s lovely to have one’s children visit. Very reaffirming that one has blessed the planet with these lovely caring offspring. Daughters 3 and 4 are twins, hence my reaction to the story of 10 years old girl twins. My twins are now 40 and a great joy.

NZ, Day 3, FD
    Weight: 65kg

Very motivating to read everyone’s posts – love reading the different exercise choices! Ran yesterday – first time for many months! Struggled but felt great mentally afterwards & I’m sure I made better food choices on a NFD because of the exercise buzz!

Had a much better NFD weekend – although still picked too much in the evening. Very rare for me to be lighter at the end of a weekend! So feel very positive about that. Had a few treats but was pretty active in garden etc too.

Time to refill my water bottle as I’m halfway through daily water goal. Hoping to fast through till dinner tomorrow night (dinner out for work) – but have my daughters friends coming to play for day & I’ll need to bake some biscuits/pikelets etc for lunch. Hoping I don’t crumble!!

Take care all.

Essex uk.

FD here. I’m fasting Monday, Wednesday and Friday to compensate for less helpful choices over the weekend. Any food I do consume will be no sugar, no carb kind of food. Just for this week as it does re-set my system. I’ll up my excercize today. It won’t b gym or running but I’ll be walking with gusto to my clients around my village.

Have a good day all

Dubai/Day 3/NFD
    Couldn’t resist weighing after my first fast weight 61.9kg (1.4 kg down from my start weight).I don’t expect this to be the normal but it’s great motivation anyway. I don’t plan to calorie count NFD but will try to get exercise in and make healthier food choices and control my portion sizes.
    Didn’t do too well with water yesterday (only about 1 litre) so I will try to improve today.
    Next FD will be Wednesday.

Croatia, Day 3, NFD
    Weight: 76.6 Kg

Day 3 Italy FD
    Today is my first Fast Day of the challenge, and i’ve got to make every one count after being the only one to put weight on during September 😳. I’m actually finding that fact incredibly motivating and will try extra hard to be able to post good results this time round!
    I have Lots of projects for the Day to keep me busy and not thinking about food. Will try to go as long as possible liquid only but if i need to eat then i will have a salad with a bit of tuna and feta cheese for dinner.
    It’s so nice to see so many of su still here; i love seeing Neostaford silently but constantly losing! anna6 from Malta Who seems such a caring soul and wonderful grandma, my 6lb buddies Fuvvie and Rocy65, and so many more.
    I don’t know if It’s because my mum just went home after a visit but we seem to have some amazing grandparents on here…i hope your kids know how lucky they are to have you being able to play such an active role in their lives. I’d love for my parents to be closer and be able to be more hands on ( they’re in the UK and we see each other maybe 4 Times a year)

Québec, Day 2, NFD

Day 2 second post
    Brunch about 11am and dinner 5pm
    Off to bed early and hoping adding 16:8 daily will be helpful.

Still Day 2: Pacific NW USA, NFD, didn’t clock it but still healthy food choices in my meals today. Dinner was salmon with roasted peppers, onions and arugula salad with Caesar dressing. Also walked 5 miles. 16:8 for tomorrow’s NFD.

Northern – you’ve given me quotes for my mirror before and now two more! Yes, perhaps I’ve taken too literally, ‘To those whom much is given, much is expected.’ Feeling better tonight than this morning but still wobbly, thanks so much for the well wishes.

It’s so good to see old friends return, Que and Merryme, to name a few and to have new friends forming, my what a community Coda started in May!

UK Nottingham- Day 3 FD

First fast day of this challenge, I’ve not eaten since 4pm yesterday afternoon, so hoping to go at least 24 hours before anything passes my lips (food wise).

I like to weigh daily to monitor the ups and downs and as I thought starting this challenge with 2 NFDs, I would be heavier today and I’m up from day one 241lbs to 241.6lbs, so nothing too disastrous.

Thank you all of those offering prayers, I will accept anything as long as it keeps this awful disease away.

Have a good day everyone.

Jayne xx

Day 3 Sussex. U.K.
    FD.
    New week, new day, new start.
    Enjoy your day everyone. On the other side of the world hope it was a good one.

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 3: FD
    the peanut butter cheesecake pie, Linda Sue? Who dreamt up such ingredients? I’m sure it will taste delicious, but I have never heard of this particular temptation before.
    Scooterbug, Hope your FD gives you the thrill the anticipation seems to be engendering.
    August2024, who could turn down cookies made lovingly by twin 10 year old girls. The excitement and anticipation of the joy on receiving such a gift would be hard to turn your back on and unnecessary in the overall scheme of things. I think it was Lolly who said you can have what you want, not just as much of what you want.
    Suzank, I’m just noting peoples’ goals and a bit about exercises and marking in when they sign in and if it is an FD. It’s all good information. I just wonder what one does with it at the end of the month after all weight losses, plateaux and gains, and those totals noted. It would be good if everyone was able to see it, but I don’t know how to do that. There’s nothing secret in it, just what people have put up on the thread. At the end of the day I could email the spreadsheet to anyone in the group if they wanted it, but not sure how you would get your email address to me. Anyone out there know how this could be done?

Welcome susiecarp. I can see you have been given the good advice by B2tF and Merryme.

Have said goodbye to daughter No3 and her family this morning a couple of hours ago. With 6 grandchildren all having Nerf wars around the house and making sure MIL is ok, forgot to weigh and have now been at the computer for over an hour. Will have another session this evening. It ‘s lovely to have one’s children visit. Very reaffirming that one has blessed the planet with these lovely caring offspring. Daughters 3 and 4 are twins, hence my reaction to the story of 10 years old girl twins. My twins are now 40 and a great joy.

By the by, there are 24 people who signed up but haven’t entered any posts yet. Will wait a couple of more days before asking names specifically if they still want to be part of the challenge. Maybe they haven’t realised that one of the main things about the challenge is to check in everyday, just to stay committed and may just say location, day and FD or NFD. I know that following various threads without actually contributing can be enormously helpful and I suspect there are tons of people out there doing just that. But it is so nice to be part of an active group. And people who do contribute apparently do better than those who don’t, so my daughter tells me.

UK day 3 NFD I will be looking to find some coping strategies this week ,will fit some exercises in when I can and aim to make good choices ,have seen others posting some good tips so I’m hoping to stay strong whilst entertaining and travelling

Portugal
    Day 3
    68.9 kg
    Just completed an upper body 30min workout. Like yesterday I will squeeze in a short 2-3km walk today).
    NFD but will be making healthy choices.
    Have a great week everyone.

Thanks Back2thefuture (sorry to hear you are in pain) and Fuvvie, great advice.

I’m posting from the UK.
    Yesterday (Sun) only had one meal at lunchtime in preparation. First FD today! Really excited Not hungry at all so far, considering I went to bed on an empty stomach. Cup of tea now, then we’re off for 4 days away from home, which might be a challenge…I have my fitness pal tracker and my journal.I am going to aim for early lunch and early supper I think I will have Mon and Tuesday as my FDs.
    Can’t wait to fit into ANY of my clothes – hate wearing leggings and baggy tops! Last night I was downloading apps (gosh, I love an app!)and found a gratitude one, so I am shifting my focus away from food. Hope it works. Have a lovely day, everyone.

Australia. Day 3 NFD

Not such a good NFD but my mouth is zippered from 4pm and I’m up for a good day tomorrow.

Wise words there Fuvvie, I put my success last month down to taking part in the Sept challenge.

Wishing you all a great week. VP

Hi all , Sorry I haven’t posted before now . I will be on daily from now .
    Scotland
    Day 3
    Fasting day
    Also weigh day and only down 1/4 pound this week but that’s 3 & 3/4 lbs in 2 weeks so as long as it’s going in the right direction I’m happy with that . Lost 2 1/2 stones on this previously so I know it’ll work in its own time . Not so active just now as still off work with a hand injury. Can’t wait to get back and back to the gym !

Mevagissey / Taunton Day 3. FD
    Hello all, Mia Calpa – I did not realise the daily sign in protocol! Day 3 and my first fasting day.
    Will also be measuring myself this evening, sorting out a 5:2 Diary and generally ‘geeing’ myself up to get this first month off to a flying, positive start.
    I shall check in again tomorrow. Good luck everyone and keep smiling.
    Joy x

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,628 total)

You must be logged in to reply.