The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,801 through 10,850 (of 11,673 total)

• Happy Fast Day Monday to you all.
    Breakfast today was Creole Eggs [bacon, green sweet pepper, onion, tomato] and dinner will probably be Ham & Oyster Pie.
    We each gained 2 pounds after our weekend away. It was a very nice time, though. Drove to the coast [yes, New Hampshire does have a coast, all 18 miles of it] in drizzle and fog. Checked into our room to discover that instead of looking over the bay, we had a view upriver — which was even nicer. The Wine Tasting consisted of 11 tables of Sales Reps, each pouring 8 different wines — sparklers, whites, reds, roses. Then there were the food tables: cheese trays; charcuterie/smoked salmon + savories; seafood [shrimp, oysters, roasted octopus]; non-meat mains [crab cake; lobster bisque shooters; pumpkin tarts]; a carving station; and desserts. We cruised around for 2 hours, grazing and sampling and making notes on the wines. Jazz trio playing, nice ambiance. Chance to chat up the reps for details about the wines.
    The next 2 days were sparkling clear and briskly cool. After breakfast [the menu helpfully gave calorie counts for what they thought were their diet options: 470 -720 calories each!!!!??] we drove up the coast to some of our favorite beaches for bird watching and gazing. Dinner at the hotel that night — 2 appetizers, 2 glasses wine, shared dessert. And home again Sunday. Great celebration of Valentine’s and ODH’s birthday.
    Now we have tools 2 pounds.

Pol, we often have lots of snow in March, and often some in April. We always try to guess when the last bit of snow will melt from North of the Barn. Very late April is average. 30 years ago it was early May.

Carolann, I shall take your suggestion and log everything, even on Fast Days, to keep me honest. I’m still snacking after dinner, which is a no-no.

Hope you are all off to a good week.

Well done FFS! My ‘amazing’ result after FD yesterday was a 300g loss! Traditionally I’ve always lost a minimum of 500g+ post FD. I am now surfing through my records working out my average weight trying to identify when the rot started to set in!

Post FD weigh-in just done: another 1 lb gone, and into the middle of acceptable range!!
    Shan’t rest on laurels: it is the day after FD, I weed a lot yesterday (sorry if that’s TMI) and my aim is to stay steadily there, withought FD/NFD fluctuation, as I was doing before the creep started. But it’s a start: first FD for ages to be so effective – so I think it’s a clue to what’s going on. Thinking I might squeeze in 2 more this week – but first priority today is a mindful NFD, resisting the thoughts of ‘that’s Ok, I can allow that mindless snack today…’ lesson learned?

Carol – a loss is a loss! Well done, and don’t knock it!

Fasting, that is one fabulous wine tasting! It would be very hard to have any self-discipline there!

Carol and fastfast, I don’t think there’s any rot. We know what to do and you both sound in control. A browse through Mimi’s recipes might help. However, I challenged OH with secret eating the other day. The cashews, meant for recipes, seem to evaporate! He still looks good from the back, then he has this gut which he had lost completely!

Tai chi this morning.
    Pol 💁🏼

Yes, it is bad news when a husband gets into the cache of food designated for other purposes! MY ODH used to raid the jar of chocolate chips. Then I pointed out that if he ate them, I couldn’t bake chocolate chip cookies. So he stopped. [He still gets into private stashes of mine. I need better hiding places.] One woman I know bought 40 pounds of bacon bits and put them in the freezer. In a few weeks, half of them were gone [!!!] and she says her husband did it. Bacon bits!?!?

You are losing, FSF! Good. Carolann, those 300 g will add up.

After a VERY mindful Fast yesterday, we both lost 1.5 pounds. So glad! Now I am logging in all the food I eat, hoping it will make me less inclined to stray. We’ll see how long that lasts. Maybe that would be a good Lenten penance — to log in EVERYTHING one eats for 40 days. Any one want to join in?

Beautiful snow yesterday. A friend called it ‘movie snow’, and that’s just what it looked like. The almost full moon was lovely last night so I decided to go out on the X-C skis for a bit. We used to love to do that many decades ago. So I took my skis and poles outside and could not get my left ski on. Not enough light to see either. Turned to open the door and turn on a lamp, only to find I’d locked myself out! So I went for a walk in the moonlight.
    And now that it is daylight, I’m off to ski around the yard.

Last night, we ate by candlelight on our balcony, above the sea, watching the huge yellow full moon rise out of the water. The sky was clear where the moon was, but the other half developed black, angry clouds, reaching their threatening stormy fingers towards the smiling moon. Wild flashes of lightning filled the sky. We were treated to a wonderful electrical storm for a couple of hours. Eventually, heavy rain moved in and the moon, by now high in the sky, bid us farewell. The crashing and flashing continued to illuminate the ocean view. Absolutely stunning.
    No Lent challenges for me thanks. I’ll continue with my 5:2 regimen.
    Crispy skinned salmon and tiger prawns on an apple slaw; stewed apple and rhubarb with plain yoghurt and pistachios for dessert. Perfect full moon dinner. 🌝

An interesting juxtaposition of life under a full moon! No oceans, electrical storms or snow here. It’s unseasonably mild but that’s as much as I can say!

The only secret stash my OH raids is where I’ve hidden the wine… although crisps disappear at an alarming and mysterious rate! He was a natural intermittent faster when we met, but has since got the hang of eating too much too often and has the middle age spread to show for it. He keeps saying he’s going to do something about it….

Meanwhile… I am determined to get serious and get rid of my extra 2kg!! I’ve had a good fast day today. I just need to make sure the non-fast days are similarly controlled.

F_me, I won’t join you in logging food either I’m afraid. I’ve never been a calorie counter, and I have little enough spare time as it is without writing down what I eat (a handful ot walnuts…and another…and another….and another…. 😊)

Fastingme, I don’t do Lent and I’m not interested in keeping a food diary for 40 days but am doing one for the next couple of weeks, if we want to compare notes. 😊

What a lovely pair of contrast Images! Fasting in the snow and purple dining in the balcony- both under a beautiful moon! It was magnificent last night. It looks very dramatic, seen coming up through the branches of our oak tree.

Sure, I’m a bit rubbish when it comes to weight loss, but I’m more than a bit rubbish when it comes to maths. Careful calculation has revealed that I had not just entered on my 6th year of various versions of 5:2, windows, 24 hour fasting, drastic reduction in carb consumption,etc. I’d just started on my 7th, which is even more discouraging. I’ve averaged a loss of 3 kilos a year. It did occur to me that Ms Dyscalculic-Innumerate (I’m both), simply can’t count calories, or carbs, or whatever we’re supposed to watch. 🙁

However, without really trying, nearly 3 kilos have disappeared in the past few days. How strange is that? Trouble is they’ll be back.

The general plight of nearly all of us, at or getting close to target weight, it’s like Paul Simon says in the song: The nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away.

Herm, I know you delight in considering yourself a Miserable Old Bat, but you really should get your eyes tested, so that you can see that glass half full! Minus 3kgs per year is infinitely better than plus the same amount, which many of our contemporaries are settling for, and the recent 3kgs are stunning. No reason why they should come back, either – certainly not in full, even if there’s a tiny bit of slippage. 3 forward, 2 back is still forward! Well done you!

Herm, you can do it! If I can, I’m sure you can. 3kgs is around 10 lbs. use pounds, they look more so encouraging.

Funny you should mention eye-testing, Fast. One totally unexpected side effect of 5:2 has been improved vision. No change at all last year. This year only a tiny adjustment to the computer specs, no change on the others – reading and distance. And if anyone asks me why I don’t try varifocals, I did. And I felt so sick and dizzy I even stopped reading, which for me is equal to stopping breathing.

Pol, with my track record for maths, far be it from me to argue about metric-imperial conversion. But I do believe that 1 kilo = 2.2 lbs, so 2 kilos = 6.6 lbs, i.e. just under half a stone, not great for an annual average.

One thing that has made me more than a little cross. My size 12 denim jeggings were so difficult to pull on that I had to make a quick purchase of a pair of 14s, i.e. the weight gain was beginning to be felt. Looking forward to the day I can revert to the smaller size.

Herm, it always cheers me up to read your posts…if ever I think I’m feeling grumpy….!

Half a stone a year might not be the most rapid weight loss, but I think it’s time you accepted this is just how you are! That glass (non alcoholic and not milk…) is most definitely at least half full 😀

This is my 3rd attempt in 2 days to post! The others deleted, just as I was finishing long, wise posts!! 😉
    In brief:
    FM, you sent me to a map to view the coast of NH. So many familiar British place names, like here. Even a Portsmouth Naval Dockyard!!
    Herm, I love your reference to Paul Simon’s lyrics. Very apt.
    Have you considered my theory that initial weight loss comes off the whole body, but gravity steps in, slowly sliding any excess down to the waist, hips and thighs, leaving a scrawny face and shoulders? It would explain why our new post 5:2 clothes are getting a little snug around the lower body? P

So true, PVE — we marvel at the map of England and all the similar place names. And off of Portsmouth, one finds Gosport! The settlers weren’t very creative — or they were VERY homesick.
    Your lyrical description of dinner at moonrise was truly lovely. But I wouldn’t trade our view.

OK, OK. No wants to do a Lenten Food Log. I get it.

Herm, you are doing fine as long as you are losing. Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and kick it downstairs. 3 kg = 6.6 pounds [and I’m the dysnumeric one!]

“Scrawny” means that muscles need to be built up under the skin. Same goes for sagging. Maybe gravity works differently there in the Southern Hemisphere…

Yesterday saw the lost 1.5 pounds to be found again. No joy. Then this afternoon we attended the matinee of ‘Stan & Ollie’ which we enjoyed very much and then went out for sandwiches. I brought 1/2 of mine home, along with 1/2 the crisps.

Herm, your maths maybe dodgy, but your language is usually spot on. You said you’ve lost three kgs!

New Jersey and Pennsylvania are full of Welsh place names. The family live in Montgomery County, as did my grandmother. I’ve forgotten where you are in Australia, PVE, but of course New South Wales reminded many people of home.

We enjoyed Stan & Ollie, too. Strangely,,the last four films we’ve seen have been true stories, with Instant Family yesterday – very good. However, I am still astonished by Vice – it was a real challenge to Americans of a particular mind-set.

Weight ok. Varying by 2 lbs this week. Never another top wriggle, but under bottom.

Yes, NSW, Pol. So many British place names. Newcastle, Cardiff, Gateshead, Hexham, Aberglassyn, Stanford Merthyr, Glencoe, Ben Lomond and Llandgothlin, interspersed with Aboriginal words,e.g. Tubbamurra. Migrants always seek the familiar!
    We went for a drive up into rainforest and banana plantations today. Found a great ‘hippy spot for zucchini and lentil patties with yoghurt and salad for lunch, then threw together a nibbling dinner of leftovers… cheese, olives, salad, corn crackers, cashews, a slice of ham, cubed herbed salmon I bought from a local fisherman, grapes and a bottle of bubbly.
    We have the edge of a cyclone heading our way so the sea below is very noisy and the wind is howling! All very exciting.P

Sorry, Pol and fasting. You absolutely correct. I’m also a rotten typist. The post should have read “3 kilos = 6.6 lbs”. My mistake was a typical result of dyscalculia aka number blindness.
    Anyway, the 3 kilos are no longer valid – 2 of the nasty critters have returned since the last fast day i.e. Monday 18th.

Just ignore them, Herm. What’s a couple of silly numbers between friends? 😉

F-M – don’t take the Lent refusals personally: we’re a lovely diverse gang of all faiths and none, calorie counters a wouldn’t-dream-of-its,and it works. Some of us have done no-sugar Lents – and Advents- in the past, others haven’t joined in. Nothing personal about it
    Gorgeous day here – warm breeze, sunshine, spring flowers. I’m about to be dragged – kicking and screaming, you understand – to a spa day with a mate, so have had a caReful breakfast and been out with the n poles for an hour. I don’t do pools, have no intention of sitting in a jacuzzi so soon after a uti, so am taking a book, and loooking forward to lunch and massage. But the thought of a day without proper exercise didn’t appeal.
    Have a good day, all.
    FFS (Nb not FSF!)

Stamp on them, herm! (Like roaches!) xx

Yea, gods, I’m blushing! My maths is terrible. Yes 3kgs is not quite half a stone! 😳😳😳

PVE, I’m intrigued by the name Llandgothlin. I suspect it’s a corruption of Llangollen, a lovely place best known for its annual international eisteddfod. Our neighbour’s son lives in your Newcastle and we met a lovely couple from there on our Thailand trip in 2017. I can’t see us ever getting to Australia. Visiting the gorgeous boys in New Jersey is the priority. We can usually manage another trip, though. Scandinavia this year.

Pol.

Don’t worry — I’m not offended. I thought it was funny that each of you said, ‘Nooooooo — I’m not counting calories!” My idea was to try to get some support for myself and to hold myself to account, in the hope that the behavior would stick and I’d be less inclined to snack randomly.

I’m cocooning today. Have a bit of a cold and don’t want it to become full-blown. So a day in bed should be just the thing. Fasting today. Cheddar Cheese Omelette this morning. Don’t know what i’ll feel like preparing for dinner. Lost a pound yesterday!!!

FFS, hope your Spa Day is more fun than you fear it will be. Spas don’t interest me either.

Happy Thursday. Stay healthy. Be optimistic.

F-M, I always mentally process quantity and food type over each 24 hour period, but no longer count calories as the whole point of IF, in my mind, is to relax and enjoy a healthy life without making it seem a medical task.
    My reaction was more related to Lent. My mate FSF knows where I’m coming from. 😉😉
    The cyclone has moved away, the sun is shining, the ocean is sparkling. I think you would love my view, F-M!! P

FFS,

I hope you survived the SPA day! I had a half day a few years ago, with a facial, massage and flotation tank experience. I hadn’t thought it was for me, but I have to say I felt fantastic afterwards.

F_me,

Apologies, I didn’t mean to be unsupportive, but between my new job…and other stuff
    ..I genuinely have no time at the moment.

Superb tapas lunch – inc fried almonds, chicken and a lovely fennel and orange salad – an hour sitting in the sun with a book watching other people swim (and mentally prescribing 5:2 for some!) and am still reeling from the most incredible back, shoulder, head and face massAge. I recant!

Well mine was accompanied by a very fine open steak sandwich as I recall, but these days I’d choose your tapas lunch over that every time!

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it after all! I’m very envious of your head massage, it’s surprising how much tension it can release.

FFS, you spa day sounds amazing! I love anything like that although I’ve never done a whole day, but do try and have regular massages.

Oh, love a spa day! Only have one on offer or as a present, mind.

Watching the rugby now, France v Scotland, and getting nervous for our big game. Keep trying to convince myself that it’s only a game. Alcoholic refreshment may well be taken. 🍷.

And a chocolate bar, Pol?

Doesn’t really go with wine. Had a pateis de nata.

We won! Great game, hard, fast and open. And we won! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏉🏉🏉

Great game indeed – fantastic last try. Well done!

Polly,

I knew we’d win! My OH has reliably predicted the result (wrongly!) in every England vs Wales match for the last 20 years. This year he said England would win 😁

We get so passionate about this particular game! Eddie Jones hasn’t helped either, very arrogant decision to drive down the busy M4 on a Friday night, missing captain’s training session on the pitch.
    Still it could have gone their way. A battle until the end. Is your husband English, Happy?

We didn’t have dinner last night. Too worked up. I had two satsumas!

Yes Polly, he’s English I’m afraid 😢 And of course he doesn’t understand why this particular one is so important!

The M4 is a nightmare on a normal Friday evening. I can only imagine what’s it like the night before a match. Why would you?!

We did have dinner. I’d done the prep pre-match, the distraction helped with my nerves!

I live 5 miles from M4/M5 conjunction. Both motorways, and all the surrounding A roads, were jammed solid, hell on wheels, from midday onwards on Friday.

I love the way ‘hell’ on wheels auto corrected to ‘he’ll’ on wheels. I imagine most rugby fans, that go to matches, are males?
    Just home from a traumatic week away. Last trip to our holiday home (we’ve sold it) and sadness for the backpacker lads who disappeared at one of our beaches. Still no word, a week later, about what happened. I grieve for their families.
    No fasting, just considered eating this week. We had to do all the things we love before it was gone. P

That was an emotional journey for you, PVE. Sounds sad yet full of ‘moving on’, which can be a good vibe. Did you sell it in anticipation of your move North? The missing backpackers — the ones from Germany and the other Brit/US? Tragic. Just about every year someone drowns on our vacation coast, but the bodies are always recovered. No one disappears without a trace like those lads.
    As for your view — yes! it sounds fabulous. I would LOVE to see the coast line that you describe so well. But if I had to change our varied, ever-changing views for a single scene in the sub-tropics, sans snow; sans Fall Foliage…..I wouldn’t.

Pol & Happy, glad your team won. We love our American football, but I think you Welsh and English and Europeans are even more passionate about your rugby and football. Glad it gives you such pleasure.

Happy, what is your new job? I knew it was new, but…. Good luck with it. Hope it is the right one.

After Thursday in bed [with the head cold] and Friday on the sofa [with the head cold], I am better now. Still going through tissues but no longer groggy, etc. The bonus was losing one pound wed-to-thurs and then 1.5 pounds thurs-to-fri! Of course it was simply lack of interest in eating as well as the body metabolizing all the calories to fight the cold. So yesterday I ate what I wanted and gained back the 1.5 pounds. Could never have stayed at that weight.
    We’re having a ‘wintry mix’ here. Not sure if Church will be canceled, as several are, but not mine so far.
    Happy Sunday.

Hi F-M
    Sorry to hear you are inwell. I hooe you shake it quickly.
    The boys were from England and France. It is MOST unusual for the bodies to not reappear. We have had very rough surf and a lot of sharks (24 bullsharks were sighted nearby).
    You are confusing me with Barata, the Kiwi. She is moving north (And needs to be included in the list of rugby fanatics 😉) We are just rearranging our lifestyle, a head decision. More chances to holiday elsewhere.
    Re weather. We get occassional snow an hour away, and skiable snow 5 hours south in winter. We also get autumnal colour in the exotics people have planted, as we are quite high. Our winters get down to 3 deg C and our summers up to 40. Usually between 18 and 28. We definitely get seasonal change! 😊 Watching a show last night, (The Magical Land of Oz …well worth seeing if you get a chance) they said 85% of Australians live within ‘picnicking distance of the coast.’ Great description 😊
    My careful eating, of course, led to weight gain, so back on the fasting horse today. 🤨😐🙄 P

There I go again — confusing Aussies with Kiwis. Ugh. Such an ignoramus. Sorry.
    Thanks, PVE, I am improving in my health. Cough is 97% gone, nose mostly dried up.
    My! You do have a varied climate — and all within picnicking distance of the coast! Very nice.

We had high winds all day [35 knots here] which toppled trees and caused power outages in other areas. [probably we won’t lose power since I filled a large bucket and several jars with water last night.]
    Wind is still roaring in the forest. Will continue tomorrow.

Olivia Colman was worth staying up for in the Oscars last night. She was a hoot!
    Happy new week, and good luck with all those chances to stay slim.

Yes. Olivia Colman was brilliant in The Favourite! 😊😊

After a wintery week with gale southerlies, we have entered autumn in the SH with brilliant sun and high-teen temperatures – single figures overnight, though. There are places in the NH that have been warmer than here recently! 🙁

Yes, I’m the one moving north, to warmer climes and more family around. It will happen sometime this year. One of the delays is our older son, who lives with us, will need to be re-housed, and his business interests sorted. Fortunately he has given himself a deadline – his lady friend in Arizona is loosing her landlady/flatmate at the beginning of July so son thinks he might spend some time with her, try to get some driving work, see if the relationship is well-founded. She’s an old school friend from the time during the George Bush snr presidency when we lived in Philadelphia.

I’m off to play jumbo tennis with my workmates this afternoon, or at least to support the players and drink wine as I am currently having physio on a lazy quad.

Have a great weekend, all 🙂

We have just emerged from a wintery week, in time for the start of autumn in the SH. Chill southerly gales, overnight lows in single digits – where has my summer gone. Glorious day today, though, to spend with my workmates playing jumbo tennis. Or more rather supporting them, as I am currently having physio on a lazy quad!

Yes, I’m the one moving north, to warmer climes and more family around. It will happen this year, but no firm timetable yet.

Have a great weekend, all. 🙂

Polly, happy St David’s Day! I attempted a batch of Welsh Cakes this morning. “Attempted’ because I have no idea what they taste like, so I forged ahead with the recipe. We liked them. Hope your national day goes well.

Barata, while you are starting Autumn, we are in no way starting Spring in the NH. Snow yesterday, VERY low overnight temperatures, and more snow tomorrow. My mother used to say, “As the days grow longer, the storms grow stronger.” Very true. What is ‘jumbo tennis’??

Good results from yesterday’s Fast, for both of us. ODH is in the throes of his cold and he is very unhappy. He wants to eat, and to eat carbs. But I guess he is metabolizing them while ill. He and I get sick so differently! I’m mostly better. 8 days is pretty good — ‘a cold’ is supposed to be over in 10+ days.

Have a great weekend, All.

Glad you feel better, fasting me. We’re getting excited for our American trip. The pound was up against the dollar after the possibility of delaying bloody Brexit, so went bought some dollars today. Thank you for your good wishes. Hope you enjoyed the Welsh cakes. They should be similar to pastry, but much lighter.

Barata, your weather sounds much like ours – possibly four seasons in a week, if not a day! Will there be a big difference after you move north? It seems funny to say that.

It was very sad to read about those backpacker, purple. It seems that some are lost or killed every year, though. I’m glad my two didn’t do it. Son had enough rugby injuries to go one with!

Weight doing ok, in spite of being a greedy pig yesterday. I helped at a charity wine tasting last night. So busy that had little chance to eat much of the lovely cheese. That salted caramel ice cream still calls. We’ve resisted going to Lidl’s for pateis de nata, though.

Have a good weekend, all.
    Pol.

Happy St David’s Day for yesterday, Poll 😊 The Sydney Mardi Gras is on tonight, so our multicultural tv station screened “Pride” last night. It is a marvellous film about a Welsh mining village during the 1985 miners’s strike being supported by gays from London. A heartwarming story with marvellous Welsh accents!
    Our first day of Autumn sees us with mid 20s, threatening rain and an other hot week heading our way. The days won’t really get too much chill until well into April.
    My fasts have been undermined by life over the past few weeks, with not much change on the horizon. Random eating patterns, keeping an eye on type and quantity is the go at present. Full fasts will resume eventually. 😉😉P

When we move north we too can have mid-20s temperatures like P, Polly. It should be at least five degrees warmer mmmmmm… It got to 19 today.

I am worn out with a bit of gardening that would have been no problem a few years ago. I really think the sleeping issues are draining energy, and am off to a hypnotherapist next week to see if they can be remedied.

It was a great win by the Hurricanes over the Brumbies last night (sorry, Bay 🙂 ) SH Super Rugby competition for the uninitiated. 🙂

The beer that we brewed as a work activity four weeks ago at a client’s premises was delivered by one of my bosses this afternoon, so we had to sample mine (light ale) and his (lager). Both were most palatable, and we also showed him around the house as he is thinking of upgrading to more space while staying in the same suburb. Watch this space.

That could simplify things, B. 🙄
    We got to 28 today, but poor Hobart had an all time March record of 38.8!
    I ran into an old lady, who told me she has a glass of red in the middle of the night if she can’t sleep. Purely for experimental reasons, I’ll try it next time I’m tossing and turning. Good luck with the hypnotherapy 😪😪 P

Viewing 50 posts - 10,801 through 10,850 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.