The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,751 through 10,800 (of 11,673 total)

• It’s funny, isn’t it, how people can’t throw out their junk, and organise their lives better until a hip “personality ” tells them how to do it? A news report, this morning, says, since the Kondo epidemic, charity shops are reaping the rewards with a big increase in donated items!!
    I’m home again, after a short beach holiday, and was relieved to find the damage was minimal. Still the same, upper limit, but no more extra baggage!
    We have been very active, and limiting quantity and frequency, but no full fasts.
    More hot weather predicted today and much more noticeable, away from the coastal strip. 😐

Just got up to a good covering of snow! Unlike New Jersey, the roads have not been cleared, our cul de sac never is and it’s grey, gloomy weather so I don’t feel getting out there to clear anything. Will have to wear my American snow boots to go next door but one with Mary’s card and Belgian chocs, made in Llangollen. The mid-west of the USA are really suffering, I see. Some quite frightening reports. Hope you’re safe in NH, fasting.

We went to see ‘Vice’ yesterday, the film about Dick Cheney – it was mind-blowing. So strong that I can’t imagine it being shown in the USA. The narrative structure was very clever, too. It finishes with a focus group ‘discussing’ the film’s ‘liberal bias”.

PVE, you had me worried for a minute returning home to minimal damage! With all this mad weather I was thinking about your house! 😄.

Ha ha, Poll, I DID mean weight, but, with our hugh trees, the other damage is always a potential.
    We spent today raking and sweeping branches and leaves and cleaning the pool. Summer is always our storm season, as well as being our leaf drop time. Eucalyptus lose most of their dead leaves in early summer, after the new growth has occurred.
    I wondered, today, if other places, like NSW, get rain and storms right on 3pm when the kids get out of school? Today was their first day back after the summer holidays, and right on cue it started to spit at 2:50! P

Currently in New Hampshire the temp = 17F =~ 8C. That is a 5 degree drop in the last 2 hours. The radio says that tonight the temp will be 0 F = -17.7 C. And tomorrow will not be much warmer. The wind has risen, so the cold front is on the way in. There are logs laid in both wood stoves and in the fire place. Yesterday we filled the inside woodbins, so we are as ready as we can be. Our younger son lives in Chicago, which seems to be the poster child for this current cold regime. The Lake is frozen right up to the shore and the river is icing over.

The Prep and the colonoscopy went nicely. Thanks for all your encouragement. I made some suggestions to the Dr about tweaking the Prep and he said that would be OK. My biggest problem was that all the liquid in 2 hours made my abdomen swell in a most uncomfortable way. But I lost 2.2 pounds! The next day I went to lunch with friends and the following day was up in weight by 1.2 pounds. Tomorrow will be a Fast Day.

PVE, if Kondo came to my storage areas [my part of cellar and my part of barn], she wouldn’t know where to begin. I do know how to do it, I lack the motivation. Really do need to devote 2 hours/day to the Tidy. Should start Friday. [can’t tomorrow since I have a dentist appointment]
    You are right about the magnificence of our planet and the joys of having 4 seasons. Many people from here go South for the winter. I LIKE snow.

Good to have your review of Vice, Pol. I’ve heard it is amazing. ‘Liberal bias’?? Guess the Conservatives might think the Liberals have an agenda. Pot and Kettle are both black. And you get to use your American boots! Our Chicago son says that when it snows, his street [and some others] are not plowed. I was stunned.

Have a good Fast tomorrow.

Chicago sure seems to be copping it!
    My place is not tidy, FM, but I do give a lot to charity on a regular basis. Mr P is the world’s greatest horder of “really good stuff”, so it is a constant battle. Lucky we have a large house for only 2 of us.
    Fasting today and keeping busy. P

All is warm in New Hampshire today. It was +5 C at 10 am. And it is sunny. This would be a good day to tap the maple trees. Sap would run well and the earliest run gives you the Grade A Syrup. But then it freezes again and you have to re-bore the holes, so no. Yesterday began with -19, but warmed up and was cloudy all day.
    And then our New England Patriots won the Super Bowl!! Hooray. When they win, they don’t gloat. When they lose, they don’t whine about it. They just get the job done. Does American Football get any coverage in your far-flung lands? Usually friends invite everyone over for a Super Bowl Party, which is an excuse for gluttony — although her food is good, and nutritious bu there is lots of it. Not this year, so the weight-creep was abated.

Fasting today: I made some ‘fiddly food’ for today’s breakfast — heart-shaped bread with fruit and yogurt/almond cream topping served with heart-shaped Canadian Bacon. I’m rushing the Valentine season since I needed to get the photo taken to post in my blog. Dear Husband is very patient with this. Dinner will be an old favorite: Shrimp Udon Quick-Fry.

Our son in Chicago worked from home on Weds and Thursday last, due to the extreme weather. He is also wearing the alpaca scarf I made for him, which he usually says is too warm to wear. Guess its cold enough now. In really cold weather here, I wear a neck-warmer that #1 Son + Wife brought back for me from New Zealand. It is a blend of wools — Merino and [have you guessed it?] Possum Fur. Lovely and warm and soft.

Carolann, I’ve been enjoying Broadchurch and have finished season 2. Started watching when a friend raved about it. Rather than binge on any one series [unless it is about to be canceled], I rotate among several while I treadmill-step in the evening to get my 5 miles. British Baking Show; Midsomer Murders; Broadchurch; Designated Survivor [US TV series]; and random others. Did anyone watch Bodyguard? Very well done.

PVE, you write so lyrically. I love your descriptions of nature especially.

Polly, often our sons will phone/facetime on weekends. We have taken to telling them in advance when we will be out so they can find us at home. it really helps. Son#2 will phone or FaceTime. Son#1 will do an ‘audio FaceTime’ I asked him why he didn’t put us on screen so we can see him and he said that he’s usually bustling around the kitchen fixing breakfast or walking to the Farmer’s Market and that the phone is in his pocket. At least we get to hear his voice.

How’s it going, Happy? Succeeding?

Happy Monday. Happy Week.

PVE, are you now filling a house where once you lived with the whole family? We certainly are -especially one person! I want to turf out lots of things. i wish he’d go on a rugby trip again – not an international without me though.

Fasting, grandson FaceTimed yesterday while my don was driving. He doesnt hold the phone still, though. I don’t know what I’d do without technology!

Weight and health ticking over. Off to the choir later, after a Chinese curry to celebrate new year.

Great weekend’s rugby. Our game was a tense one. We get the Super Bowl build up and I think it’s available on SKY.

Yes Polly. We still live in the family home we renovated to fit our teenagers in. With just the 2 of us these days, we have a lot less junk and plenty of space for 2 retired people to find a quiet spot to do their own thing 😉
    It’s so much easier to clean without so many extras, but still plenty of toys and games for visiting grandchildren.
    My Monday fast was a breeze, but after I’d eaten my fast dinner (smoked salmon and slaw), I was still really hungry. 😐 Funny how that happens sometimes. Then I tossed and turned all night as I have been overdoing the swimming, so my neck and shoulders are complaining. And I was SO pleased with my stroke work. 🤨🤨
    The Superbowl gets coverage here, due to the overwhelming impact of US culture, but there is very little interest. It is seen as a peculiar US practice.. .dressing up in all that padding to play football (?) and everyone partying. Crazy. 😉😉
    Enjoy your fasts/non fasts girls. P

Yikes! Was a little up on weight yesterday, but trying to be mindful. Then the ODH said, ‘let’s go out for dinner!’ So we did and I ate only 2/3 of the appetizer which comprised my meal. Up 1 kg today over my target! Happily today is for Fasting. That extra better be gone soon….

Freezing rain began last night and by morning the twigs were ice-rimed. Beautiful. We did not venture out all day long. I cleaned the root cellar. Necessary. Next, the Still Room.

Hope your weather is good.

The ice sounds beautiful FM. Do you store veg in the root cellar?
    I’m fasting twice weekly and eating moderately. Simply treading water at the top of my range. 🙄 Ho hum.P

I’m cross with myself as well. Having said I think the scales are stuck on 127lbs, I did put a pound on yesterday and am relieved it’s not more.

We are having a stressful time with 93 year old aunt, 300 miles away, and I’m spending hours on the phone trying to sort one problem after another. On Wednesday, I was also driven mad trying to move our big savings after a fixed rate ended and then downloading Sainsbury’s new Nectar app which is being trialled in Wales. The flipping app was hard enough to register with, so maybe that’s a fail at its beginning. House insurance and my car insurance to sort, too.

Result of these problems – treats! OH is dreadful! He keeps buying things I can’t resist, the Portuguese tarts and now Hagen Das salted caramel ice cream which is in offer. Definitely need a bit of discipline. Out tonight at a lovely little family-run Indian restaurant.

Have you got good weather now, PVE, not too hot? It’s fairly mild here for winter. Very wet and stormy, though.

Have a good weekend all! It’s rugby Saturday and Sunday for us. Wales v Italy.

Pol.

I wish you hadn’t told me that (about the HD SC ice cream) Pol. My absolute favourite: there’s a carton in my freezer which I’m trying to forget – I’ve been at the top of my range, dipping below only the day after FD and not always then, since Christmas- which wasn’t actually overindulgent but was just drawn out over the whole Christmas-to-Candlemas period, so I think has caused a slip back into casually less mindful eating. Some comfort that we all seem to be experiencing the same, but that tub will have to stay there, and the offer will have to pass without me.
    Good vibes to all of us as we do this bit together: any explanations/tips – other than ‘be less greedy’ or ‘it always goes back on in the end’ welcome. Have a good day, all!

Top summer weather now, Poll. Hot enough to swim, sudden electrical storm this evening to cool it all off and create a stunning sky.
    I’ve no suggestions, other than yours, Fast. Less mindful eating, but, hey, ain’t life grand! 😉 I pulled out a dress I hadn’t worn for a couple of years to wear out tonight. Size 9 and straight, bought at my lightest, and I still fitted in it quite comfortably. Brilliant! P

Im in the same box as everyone else with stagnating weight! 😡

🤗🤗 At least we are all together 😊😊

And that’s why we keep coming back to the Maintenance Chatbox: similar stories and mutual support.

I finally got below my Target. From Jan 12 to Feb 12, I spent 18 days above my target weight — a real downer!
    Hooray for fitting into a former dress size, PVE. Good news from you at least. Must be all that swimming. We keep some root veg in the root cellar, also some of my homemade wine + the jars of maple syrup + large jars of honey. And some random serving dishes on the very top shelves. When we have a good apple harvest, they go in there too.

Each of the past 2 days has seen a one pound loss for me [and ODH] so we must be past that dinner out. However this weekend we will attend our favorite Wine Tasting at a lovely old hotel on the Coast. Friday will be wine and paired foods — all you want to eat or drink. We will behave ourselves. Sorta. Then Saturday we’ll dine in the hotel restaurant. All very nice and fattening. Saturday is ODH’s birthday so this will be a great celebration.
    We had a good Fast Day on Monday and today I ‘cheated’ by serving a Fast Dinner even tho it is a Slow Day. ODH didn’t notice. Tomorrow’s dinner won’t break the bank either [I think] and then Thursday will be a Fast Day. Hoping to keep the pounds off for the weekend.

Snowing now, since mid afternoon. Very pretty snow, but now that it is dark, there was some rain and I hear sleet [tickka-tickka on the windows] once in a while. I hope it turns back to snow so the Ladies of Skein can meet tomorrow.

FSF, you must be an old-world aristocrat to keep Christmas until Candlemass! And a fine old tradition it is!

Pol, that must be anxiety-producing dealing with your elderly aunt at long distance. No one closer to help out?

I’m in the same camp as you, ladies. Since our return from Australia I have been four – FOUR – kgs over my lowest and desired weight, which was my long-term reading after losing on 5:2. Have finally gone down one this morning, but do not expect it to stick. Experience is showing that I’m on an upward slope 🙁

Another glorious day! Almost sad that we are now seriously planning to move north later in the year – Wellington was not like this when we first came here in 1993.

Good morning, friends. We’ve all become a bit complacent with our eating patterns, it seems. I’m ok weight-wise again, still within range. But, I am sooooo tempted tuck in to sweet stuff! I even fancied, and made, toast and jam last week. The jam has been here since the boys visited in the summer and was called jelly, of course.

Not sleeping well, either – aunt worries! There is a cousin in Tring, but that’s North East of London, so her journey there is difficult, although shorter. I think I must have been half asleep last night and found myself trying to arrange care in Welsh!

Anyway, happier things. Lunch out then cinema yesterday: Green Book. An excellent film and true story of Dr. Don Shirley, a gifted pianist who challenged racism by touring the Deep South in spite if being black. That’s two superb films highlighting American life. Did I post about Vice, Dick Cheney’s story? I’m surprised it was even shown in the USA. And here the next election farago starts again with insults to Elizabetha Warren.

Right, time to check in with aunt. Have a good day, everyone. Enjoy wine-tasting, fasting.

My annual check in after 6 years of 5:2ing. Still fasting 2 days a week. A little heavier than I’d like just now but I had surgery on my lower spine 4 weeks ago and only did 6:1 for a couple of weeks, plus I obviously haven’t been as mobile as I would normally be.

I put on a little weight over Christmas and New Year as usual, but it will all come off again in spring and summer if previous years are any guide. As long as the BMI stays under 24 all year I’m happy, even if I’d rather it was a little closer to 22.5 than the 23.4 it currently is.

Keep going everyone.

Congratulations Mr Data, that’s a mighty fine achievement! I think fasting basically becomes a way of life for us. Weird as it sounds I can’t imagine not fasting now after doing it for 5 years!

Good job, Mr Data. keep up the good work. Good luck with your recovery from the surgery — hope your Positronic Net is doing well too.

Carolann, I know just what you mean! We actually look forward to Fast Days — both for the recipes and for the losses.

Fasting today. Moroccan Omelette [flavored with cumin and paprika] for breakfast. Crab Cakes for dinner. ODH lost another pound yesterday and I dropped 1/2 pound even tho it was a Slow Day. For last night’s dinner I prepared a lovely light pasta dish full of olives and cherry tomatoes and mozzerella. Very good and low in calories! I thought of you folks with your gardens in Australia and New Zealand and how appropriate that recipe would be for you now.

Pol, it seems we can count on you for a movie review. I’ve heard other good things about The Green Book and would like to see it. So sorry that you have the worry about your Aunt. One of my friends here had a cousin in Australia. She would FaceTime him weekly. As his mental health failed, she was concerned about him and how he was being cared for and whether or not he was being swindled. But there was nothing she could do about it. Distressing. At least you are a bit closer.

We have been making plans for our Weekend Away: the pastry shop where we’ll get Croissants to bring home to the freezer; the fish store where we’ll stock up on finnen haddie [auto correct wants that as ‘fine caddie’ ….] and other fish from the coast; how much wine ODH can drink and still enjoy himself [alas, he has less capacity than previously. Not that he was a toper, but with his PD, alcohol has its limits]; drives along the coast on what should be a lovely sunny day.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your sweethearts.

Well this is starting to get depressing now…..

My maintenance regime has been one fast per week and mindful eating other days apart from weekends where I loosen the reins. However for the past couple of months now that hasn’t been cutting it so this week I decided I will do 2 fasts. My second FD yesterday and great news, on the scales this morning Ive put on 200g!!!

First time ever Ive fasted and not weighed less the next day 😞

Ah, Carol, frustrating! I know, I’ve been there! I’m still 2kg up from pre Christmas. Two fasts this week, felt thinner this morning, leapt on the scales….no change ☹️

But hey, what’s the alternative? Don’t fast, get fat?

Our bodies fighting back, Carol? Happy’s right, it is better than giving up.

FM, you seem to include a lot of carbs in your regular eating (croissants, pasta). Lucky you! I find I simply can’t. I know as soon as I do, the kilos rise. 🙄
    We had an OTT Valentine’s dinner last night..a few biscuits, cheese, olives, sun dried tomatoes for entre. Mains: Bbq’d lemon salmon with blue cheese sauce, capers, baby spinach and mixed slaw. Dessert: Fresh peach and plum slices with home made pomegranate jus and creme fraiche. Washed down with a bottle of Brut Chardonnay, by the pool. In the past we would have gone to a fancy restaurant and eaten 3 times as much. How we’ve changed.
    Hope you all had a pleasant day. P ❤

Ah Hapoy, I was hoping for some words of wisdom from you!😊 True, no choice, I just keep on going!

Purple, I wonder about the ‘fighting back’ too but why is my question!🤪

I feel serious envy when I read what Fastingme is able to eat! 😊 You’re obviously not carb sensitive fastingme – lucky you!

Purple your Valentines dinner sounds wonderful! We had leftovers after my FD LOL

Snap, Carol! FD yesterday, and 200gms up this morning 🙁 Two FDs a week is no longer working for me, I am struggling to find something that will! In the meantime, I continue with the FDs, eating 16:8 most other days, limiting carbs… – although your talk of croissants, Fasting, saw a packet make their way into my trolley this morning. I am having visitors for the next few days, so I know I won’t be responsible for them all 🙂 Valentine’s Day being on a FD, it was our regular chicken salad last night. At least OH can record a drop in weight!

Carol, after the blackout here, we decided we needed some fun, so ditched the fast.🙄
    I don’t know the ‘why?’ either. I guess it is more related to complacency than anything else. That is the advantage of total, no food, fasts, isn’t it? Calorie restriction has a tendency to fail as quantities start creeping up. At least when you eat nothing you can guarantee the amount! 😁😁
    I don’t know about you, but I have a very low boredom level, so need to change eating habits regularly. Food needs to be a joy, not a trial. Strictly controlling my eating all the time is not something I ever want to do. These last almost 6 years of fasting have taught me a lot about myself, reminded me of eating patterns I had as a young, thin woman and introduced me to some fabulous new foods. The fact that I’m a few kilos heavier now than I was 4 years ago is not too big a concern. I’m well within healthy range, just as you are. If we have to, we can fling in more fasts to allow us to enjoy the other days without feeling we are on “a diet”.
    Long live fasting!! P

We find it easier, with working, to stick to a routine with our FDs, soup on Monday and chicken salad on Thursday. It worked for so long… And yes, I would be happier with my extra four gks if I hadn’t got down to the lower level initially, and if my jeans weren’t quite so snug! 🙂

Barata, interesting your OH didn’t gain. Pretty sure someone else on here has mentioned they’re not losing but their OH is which brings me to a question- could it be hormonal for women? I’m aware most of us are over 45 (apologies if you’re not) and weight becomes dramatically influenced by hormones.

I’ve noticed in the past few months I am now getting the old ladies shape – pot tummy and fat over the hipbones, all very cleverly worked out by our bodies to protect us if we fall over.
    Just wondering if I’m pushing a barrow uphill and just need to accept this change??

Probably, Carol. 😐😐
    Look at some old photos of your mum and mother’s at your age. I think you’ll find they look much older. Embrace yourself. It could be worse! P

That’s not exactly cheery Purple 😂

I’m with you re eating too. I began 5:2 because I was fed up with my life being about food restriction and guilt and thought 5:2 was a simple way to lose weight and maintain it.

Unfortunately though I became seduced by the numbers on the scale.

I know I’m still slim but I want to stay that way mainly because I cannot face the idea of buying a new wardrobe! I spent so much time and money downsizing and just don’t want to do it again!

Again, I’m going to say I wish we had a thanks button! Yes, our parents did look, and act, older than we at the same age.

I seem to be dodging the bulletin, though. Still around 127lbs. I told OH that I thought the scales were stuck, then next day I was up a pound and a half. That Hagen Das ice cream in the freezer keeps calling me, as do those lovely pateis de Nata from Lidl. I’m really not interested in three meals a day now. Nor three course meals, either. My appetite has changed thanks to 5:2.

Carol, I’m with you on the clothes thing. Just put my beautiful red wool coat out to take to Oxfam. I looked like an orphan in it. Of course, I hadn’t worn it enough because I end up wearing my duvet coat for warmth.

Pre marriage, kids and the pill I weighed around 116-120 lbs. looking at photos of then and when I was 50, post F Plan, I can see I was too thin. I can’t remember how old you all are. I’ll be 72 in April, 🤔. Where did that time go?

We have heard from herm for a while. Hope she’s well

Don’t get the idea that I eat a lot of carbs. Oh, no, no — that’s not so. When I cook pasta [once a week], I weigh it out dry and prepare 2 oz for ODH and 1 oz for me. That = 100 calories. Not interested in having more. The croissants are a once-in-a-while indulgence — once a month Sunday breakfast, for example. The only time we eat them daily is when in France and we ‘go native.’ The carb I cannot eat is white rice. As I have said before, it puts the weight on pronto and leaves it there. Perhaps those mystery pounds on some of you are from a similar cause. Maybe.

Speaking of carbs, do any of you spiralize your veg into ‘noodles’? It’s a trend over here and gives a nice alternative to pasta.

We both lost 1 pound with yesterday’s Fast — ODH is at a recent [as opposed to All-Time] low. 🙂 🙂 I am at ‘Sleek’ after spending most of the month above my target weight. And it wasn’t due to croissants!

At 70 yrs old, I do think I am ‘younger’ than my mother at the same age. I certainly exercise more. But when I am 72, I must climb our local ‘mountain’ [3000+ feet = 914 meters]. My mother climbed that with us at 72 and so I’ll have to too. When I look at my parents yearbooks from college, I’m always struck by how old the women look, even at age 21. Maybe its the hair.
    But we can be as slim and trim as we want to be, even as age advances. No need to go plump-ly toward ‘that good night’, I say. Not that I obsess about it. I’m just chuffed to be the weight I always wanted to be.

PVE, that was a Valentine Delight of a meal! We like to stay home and cook for ourselves too.

Have a good weekend.

Oh, fasting, you always make me laugh! 😁. 🥂🥂

Nothing worse than a restaurant full of couples eating indifferent food, at tables decorated with scentless flowers, in an atmosphere of ersatz, confected ‘romance ‘! Cooking and eating together ar home beats it hollow.
    I’m wondering: it’s always been my understanding that part of the reason for the ‘intermittent’ element in IF was to avoid the slowing of metabolism which can result from constant dieting. Do you think the difficulties many of us are currently experiencing could be because our metabolisms are actually cleverer than we are, and get to know our fasting patterns, so that the value of ‘intermittent’ gets lost? I know sticking to a routine makes fasting much easier -I find it much harder on a ‘wrong’ day – but is there a case for mixing it up a bit, to fool the metabolism, do you think? Just asking – any thoughts?

Hi Fast. I have had that niggling thought too. Funny, though, how hard it is to fast on another day!
    I did alternate day fasting for a month last year. I didn’t find it too hard, but didn’t drop weight dramatically. And it played havoc with Mr P’s bloodsugars. 😐 I found a concerted effort to eat 70% leafy veg, and normal fast days, far more effective, but boredom set in.
    The frustration I always feel is how incredibly easy, and rewarding, it is for weight to peel off when obese, but how remarkably difficult it is to drop off even 1kg when at basically goal weight.
    I lost 28kg in my first year of fasting. Now, well within healthy range, I struggle to drop at all. I don’t intend to go back up to make it easy, but I know how it works. 😁😂😂
    I was wondering what’s happening with Hermaj too. Hope you are ok mate. P

Hi Purple :),
    I’m right here, still alive but have been keeping a very low profile for weeks on end rather than find my way to the forum to launch on a weapons-grade whinge. However, having dared to put my head above the parapet, it’s comforting to know I am not alone in finding it well nigh impossible to shift the extra 2 or 3 kilos that seem to have crept back for no obvious reason – no face-stuffing, not even over Christmas – I can’t really pinpoint any real explanation. On several occasions I’ve actually GAINED weight following a fast day.
    OK. 2-3 kilos wouldn’t be a big deal, if it hadn’t taken me a year to lose 2 kilos – one year it took me 12 months to shift 1.5 kilos. I’m the world’s slowest loser, your actual plateau queen – 18 kilos (previously 20) in 5 years. So I start my 6th year on 5:2 heavier than I was in February 2018.
    The magic moment when I actually found my way under 10 stone for the first time in 30+ years lasted about 5 minutes. To be fair, it happened after a couple of days of fighting off some bug or other and not eating a thing. From then onwards I would have been content to stick at 63.5k (9st 13lb) for the rest of my life, but my fatso gene wasn’t having any.
    A new friendly acquaintance I’ve met while getting ready to be a volunteer adult literacy coach, herself tall and naturally willowy, made me feel a bit better when she said that even she, who had never had a weight problem, always put on a couple of pounds in very cold weather – nature seems to pile on the odd pound or two just to keep us warm like it does for animals who hibernate. That might be true for some, but not for yours truly. The fat comes to stay.
    But, as I say, it’s comforting to know that even the most observant and experienced among us have a similar problem.
    Also comforting was a rare visit to the doc yesterday to discuss excruciating leg pain that wouldn’t respond to OTC remedies, e.g. analgesics either topical or by mouth, almost certainly brought on by trying to turn round a rush job and sitting in front of the computer all day. I was dreading being told either that the nasty polymyalgia rheumatica of 10 years ago had returned or I had a dodgy hip which would need replacing. I was also half expecting to get a lecture on losing some weight but no. By East Anglian standards I’m skinny. After a lot of prodding, bending and stretching (I’m much more supple than I gave myself credit for) the doc could find nothing much wrong, concluding it was a trapped nerve. A wheat bag, some more effective painkillers than those available OTC, should do the trick. If not, come back. Both hips, he said, are in very good shape.
    Couldn’t agree more about Valentine’s Day.

Hiya Herm 😊
    Give yourself a bit of credit! “Fatso”? I don’t think so! Ok, a slight height problem, but if you stretched yourself to, say 166cm, you’d be svelt!
    Not eating at all, due to illness, is incredibly effective, but certainly not sustainable 🙄🙄
    If you read RT’s funnies contribution (Keep on Fasting thread), your answer may be that your brain is SO full, you are starting to store information elsewhere. 😂
    Let’s all just stick together and see what happens. Great to hear you are thinner than the norm in your new area. P

It’s good to hear from you, Hermaj. I have exactly the same whinge – after the wonderful success of 5:2, and keeping the weight off for eighteen months, there are three kgs that have crept on gradually and are resisting removal. And it sounds like a number of us are in the same boat.

I know my metabolism has adapted so that FDs no longer have the same effect, and lowering carbs and reducing the eating window hasn’t helped. So I also am on the lookout for the next magic, really don’t want to go back to the pre-5:2 notion that I would end up a dumpy old woman!

I had a 200gm gain after Thursday’s FD, but a 500gm loss this morning in spite of treating myself to a chocolate icecream and camembert in warm croissant (Fasting!) after a hard day at the brewery yesterday. Long story – as a work team-building exercise we brewed 40 lts of beer per two of us a fortnight ago at a client’s premises, where they offer brewery facilities to members of the public to make small batches. Yesterday we went back for the bottling, still two weeks until we can test the finished product.

Good point FFS. Purple found she lost weight when she changed to the high veg consumption and I lost more post FD weight for a few weeks after avoiding carbs and sugar in any form the day after my FD – could that be constituted a change?

It’s a conundrum and many of us are all in the same boat by the sounds of it which I think adds credence to the theory there has been some change in our metabolism or something???

Fasting me, I feel much happier about your carb consumption now you’ve explained it 😂

Welcome back Hermaj!

Hi herm – welcome to the WTF?! (‘What the Flip?!’!) thread!
    Much as I want to believe all those explanations – including my metabolic, and especially P’s brain-weight one – I think honesty compels me to admit that in my case (no aspersions on any of the rest of you) I’ve just got a bit greedy, complacent and mindless. Portion sizes have slid a bit, FDs aren’t quite as Fasty as they were, bits and bobs have been mindlessly tasted while cooking, and carbs – mostly good ones but not all – have been consumed on non feast days. I’ve given up bothering to log food on MFP, and been out of touch with my support mates here. I reckon the results were predictable.
    Confession over! Helped this week by a horrible UTI, the silver lining to which cloud has been a couple of days of not wanting to eat. Barely showing on the scales yet, but I feel better – a bit lighter, less rigid round the middle, and the returning ‘pot’ a tad less prominent – so i’m hoping I’m right, and what I need is simply a reboot. It may be all fluid loss and wishful thinking – mending of ways is probably more straightforward than kickstarting a slowed-up metabolism – but it does fit what I know, deep inside, is the truth! so worth a try…
    Sending hope-y thoughts to all in this shared blip.

I’m completely with you, Fast. All of the above, bar the UTI (poor you!)
    The question is, do we want to go right back to square one and be as strict again, when we are all only a tad above our low goal ? Carol’s point on the wardrobe replacement is by far the most valid!
    Very early Sunday morning. Birds singing in the new day. Great to be alive. 😊😊

P, if I could be certain the damage would stop here, i’d Be with you all the way. But having been skinny until my 40s, until I put on the extra 4 stone, I remember all too well how the weight crept on slowly and insidiously while I was refusing to look. Hence I’m determined to nip it in the bud now, if I can. And yes, having dropped from a UK size 16 to an 8, and spent more money than I ever have before in the process, I shall make sure I can!
    Enjoy your day – I’m away to bed.

We MUST keep our new “young” shapes! And we will, Fast. 😁 Sleep well. P

Morning all. I agree with you, purple. Shape is important. So many women of my age have completely lost their waists, as I did! There’s a woman in my wine group, a bit younger than me, whom I’ve know for about 30 years. We used to be the same build, now she looks 6 months pregnant.

I think the flexibility of 5:2 has taught us to eat properly without having to make a big show if being ‘on a diet’. The 3lbs wriggle room works for me. If I’m out for a meal, I enjoy it without pushing a salad round the plate. A changed appetite has certainly helped! In the old days I’d never have left something on the plate!

Definitely do not want to be size 8 again, though. Those 50th birthday photos appall me!

We’ve had two glorious spring-like days. I knew those American snow boots would not be worn. 😀.

Say, Pol, I thought you had enough snow to use your American Snow Boots the other week…? Your Spring comes sooner than our’s. Good old Gulf Stream. We’re due for some snow tomorrow-into Tuesday and this time, no rain afterward. Yippee. 1-3″ will look very nice. Waistlines are good.

FastSF, your history sounds like my husband’s. He was always slim until he was 40, and then the weight crept and leapt up until he was 50 lbs overweight. Saved only by the Fast Diet, as he had tried reduced fat; calorie counting; and other diets that didn’t do the trick.

Yes, PVE, the ‘little extras’ we permit ourselves are the culprit in our collective additional pound or 3. Some days I want to eat and eat — others, I’m not hungry. But when I’m near the weight I want, I’ll excuse that hand-full of almonds or a small cookie by thinking it won’t really count. But it does! And it is difficult to be a pure as we used to be when Fasting, because we think we can easily lose it again.

Barata. Camembert in a warm croissant!! Heart be still, that sounds delicious.

I never think about metabolism. Of course I know that it regulates how the body uses energy, but I wouldn’t know if mine had changed or not. I’ll leave that to the rest of you deep thinkers who no doubt know more than I.

FFS, maybe you’re right and it’s complacency.
    I shall start measuring and logging everything again and see if it helps.

Nice cool day here after some very warm weather -35 yesterday.

Just spoke to our son in Canada and it’s minus 20! He had a big thick jacket on while sitting in his car with the heater on! Can’t inagine that!

I’m hoping this will work- couldn’t see any other way to share. Interesting video from Dr Fung. I’m off to have a green tea!

https://idmprogram.com/video-post-what-breaks-a-fast/#comments

Good morning, friends. We only had about six inches of snow and it didn’t stay long, fasting. This mild weather is far from usual. Global warming? We will probably have an awful March, or Maybe April. Wr had snow on my birthday, 16th April one year. I don’t think I could cope with the Canadian climate, Carol. Big change from Australia for you son!

Anyone read Dana Stabenow’s books set in Alaska? Very good thrillers in an intriguing setting.

Weight ok, indulged on Saturday so very disciplined yesterday. I’m sure OH must be indulging secretly though as we seem to eat the same meals. He does have meat, of course. 🤔

Strict FD on Friday,followed by NFD but mindful weekend – supper with friends, pudding both days, but smaller portions and no snacking: 1lb down this morning. Don’t know whether to be pleased or ashamed! Hoping this is the answer…watch this space..

Viewing 50 posts - 10,751 through 10,800 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.