The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,751 through 9,800 (of 11,673 total)

• “Supper”, a term my father disdained as lower-class, is from the French ‘super’ which of course means to eat soup. In the evening. What a sensible course of action! Then there is the charming custom of “Faire chabrol.” When you get down to the bottom of your soup bowl, you pour your glass of wine into it and swirl it around to get all the remaining bits into suspension, then drink it. Very tasty [another word my father disliked] when done with the correct pairing of wine and soup. In PEI, CA, where we spend our summers, the noon meal is dinner and the evening meal is called supper although it is not soup.

Thank you all for your insights about breakfast and husbands. Our compromise last Friday was for me to eat the fruit and the back bacon but not the cinnamon swirl brioche toast. I should do that more often!

Do not plan to lose any weight today, as we are having friends over for Cake and Champers. I told my ODH that I wanted some friends over for my birthday [#69!] and he ran with it. The bespoke cake just arrived, somehow I’m not supposed to know about that, and ODH has everything else under control. He said, “I suppose this takes care of dinner too?” Yes, cake and sparkling wine sounds sufficient for Sunday dinner or supper.

We’ll be looking forward to tomorrow’s Fasting!

Does MM have a regular program on the telly? Didn’t know that. Not seen over here.

Happy Burthday Fasting_me! What a lovely decadent birthday super too 🥂🎂

Michael Mosley is one of the presenters of Trust Me I’m a Doctor, a BBC series that looks at the evidence behind a lot of the health claims and headlines in the media.

One of the segments on the most recent programme looked at coconut oil vs butter vs olive oil and, despite its saturated fat content, coconut oil does increase HDL cholesterol but does not increase LDL cholesterol. So it is actually a healthy choice.

They also discussed whether you can eat too much fruit. This I was also interested in, as I feed up on vegetables (including salad fruit like pepper, tomato, cucumber) but don’t necessarily eat pudding fruit every day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j9gny

And supper 😀

Thanks for that link Happy. We get the MM program over here too, not sure if it’s in synch with what is showing in UK or if we’re a bit behind.

I’ve always been curious about the sugar in fruit and think I’ve raised that question on here before.

Quite a few weeks ago now I couldn’t seem to get below trigger point so refined everything I was doing and one action I took was to reduce my fruit consumption (love fruit and always reach for it as a snack). I replaced the fruit with raw veg and the results have been very positive.

Well done Carol! I always take the attitude that tropical fruits have a higher GI. That doesn’t stop me eating mangoes though 🙄 P

I misspelled ‘souper’ [or maybe autocorrect ‘fixed’ it for me. Supper is derived from <<souper>>.

Thanks for the good wishes, Happy. We had a lovely time. Still have cake left over for today.

Carol, very interesting how you swapped raw veg for fruit.

We have fruit every morning at breakfast as well as a fruit smoothie. [don’t lecture me about the orange juice in the smoothie. we are trying to cut down. ODH’s grandfather invented orange juice concentrate, so it is drilled into him to drink it] Local fruits, especially those from higher latitudes are supposed to be better for health.

Yesterday was such a low-calorie Fast that I was eager to see if that pesky 2 pounds had dropped — only to find that the scale is on the fritz again. Weighed 5 times and got 5 different readings. Grr.

It turns out our plant buddies are very skilled at protecting themselves. Plants that have fruit usually want predators to eat it so they can spread the seeds elsewhere in their poop. But they don’t want it eaten until it’s ripe so they produce chemicals called lectins that make predators (like us)sick. These chemicals are neutralized by the plant as the fruit ripens.

Fruit should only be eaten when it is ripened on the vine. So local & in season.

Of course there is also the issue that fructose doesn’t signal the brain to stop eating like glucose does.

Very clever these plants

Michael Mosley has finally dealt with the issue carbs early or late in the day on last night’s programme.

Only a small sample, but a pilot for a bigger research project at Sussex University, people were asked to eating carbs for breakfast for five days, in the evening for five day and spread throughout the day for a further five days. Obviously, glucose measurements had been taken at the beginning and the participants were fitted with a gadgets which measured it during the test.

Results were that morning carbs gave reading of 15%. However, evening carbs gave a reading of 10%, opposite to expectations.

Very glad about this. I couldn’t go back to eating breakfast, anyway. I find that eating breakfast makes me want to eat more during the day.

Pol. 💁🏼

Hi Polly
    This is certainly what Mr P has found with his daily bs tests over the past 5 years. The simplest way for him to reduce a raised bs level is to cut out breakfast. But he can also use his ‘get out of jail free’ card by having apple cider vinegar before a carb heavy meal (occasionally).
    P

Hi Pol,

Yes, I watched it with interest too! It’s also reported here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4MzTW0r38vTyykCkLzW1N6T/is-eating-carbs-in-the-evening-bad-for-you

I’m not sure I follow their logic that the results can be explained by our bodies being inherently good at processing carbs in the morning. Doesn’t the fact that blood glucose control was worse in the morning carbers suggest that our bodies aren’t good at dealing with high carb in the morning/ after the overnight fast?! Ha, I guess I’ll have to wait for the full trial and see what the experts say….

I’ve fasted today, not the easiest as I was (unusually for me) hungry early, explained by the physical exertion of clearing snow in the hen run (they won’t come out unless there’s some ground without snow cover!). I nearly caved, but as always pleased I didn’t 😇

So the results are basically reaffirming the incredible ability of the body to adjust to keep healthy, within sensible limits.
    “This rather surprising result could be explained because our bodies are inherently good at processing carbs in the morning. This means that when the group followed the high carb breakfast (HML) pattern, with peak carbohydrate intake in the morning, they were not able to significantly improve their blood glucose response – as their bodies were already efficiently processing the carbs they were eating.

But our results suggest that the high carb dinner pattern (LMH) trained our volunteers’ bodies to become better at processing carbs in the evening. What is particularly interesting is that this change occurred after only 5 days of following that regime.”

Marvellous. Reduce the carbs. Don’t overload at every meal. Hmmm…that’s what we do, isn’t it? P

Well indeed P! Interesting how the successful maintainers have come to this naturally, but soon we’ll have scientific evidence (which public health England can continue to ignore as they push starchy carbs at every meal!)

Same old. Same old, Happy 😑😐

A love affair with carbs isn’t hard to understand: given a choice between a salad and an Almond Croissant, I would be SO tempted and would probably go for the croissant. But only on a Slow Day!

At long last, after a good Fasting yesterday [Maltese Omelette for brekkie and Haggis Spring Rolls [home-made haggis, home-made rolls, NOT deep-fat fried] and salad for dinner], I lost 1.9 pounds. Am now where I want to be after the holidays and birthday and will work hard to stay there.

Dr Mosley keeps saying that Fasting will be field tested on people, but until they do studies with 800 people instead of 80, he won’t have enough evidence. WE know, don’t we?

Good work on getting back to your fighting weight F_me. I’ve now passed my four year anniversary of starting 5:2. Next milestone in May will be four years maintaining under 60kg 😀

I used to be a real carb addict (hence I was at least podgy for most my life), but I really seem to have broken that link with IF. Don’t get me wrong, if I get started on carbs and sugar I’ll want to keep shovelling them in! But I’m very rarely tempted in the first place these days.it certainly makes weight maintenance considerably easier.

Although…on that subject….I have three increasingly sad oranges in the fridge from before Christmas and the only thing I can think to make is an orange and almond cake 😊

Interesting to read that link thank you Happy.

Very very small study, I didn’t see mentioned anywhere what the carbs actually were ie simple refined carbs or complex carbs because I would think that would make a difference.

I eat complex carbs in the morning, been working for me so I’m going to stick with it!

They all appeared to be eating white bread, Carol. Hmmm. I quite like the Atkins approach of counting ‘net carbs’ – ie total carb grams minus fibre grams. But I guess it’s still down to personal metabolism etc.

2 weeks ago I started doing low carb/high fat/protein à la Volek – for neurological reasons, rather than weight loss/maintenance, as my carbs were already fairly low, and always complex, and I’d been happily maintaining goal weight, within a +/- 2lbs range, since 2014. . The first week I did one FD, one semi fast, and ate a lot (but no more that 50g complex carbs) on the other days – and allowed a few more carbs on the weekly ‘feast day’. I lost 2lbs. This week, I’ve had only one FD, one feast day, but kept the carbs to 35g per day. Weight has stayed absolutely steady, with no fluctuation between FDs and not regaining those 2lbs – despite generous amounts of nuts, cheese, eggs, salmon (fresh and smoked) avocado, cream, FF yoghurt, dark chocolate etc – all the things the medics warn you off – plus, obviously, mountains of veg, but slightly less fruit. Not necessarily the right way for every body, but mine seems to like it. I shall continue to fast, for all the reasons we all know – but it may be that my usually variable regime of ‘5:2 / 4:3 / 5.5/1.5 depending’ can be 6:1. Will monitor carefully!

How very interesting, Fast! I shall look into how many carbs I eat daily… 35 g/day, eh? keep us informed!

Yes that’s interesting Fast! What tool do you use to measure how many grams of CHO in the food?

Fast, I’ve answered my own question! I seem to recall myfitnesspal worked out ratio of CHO, protein, fat so had a look and interestingly I am often less than 60g CHO in a day. Definitely my breakfast is less than 30g and depends what veggies I have for tea as to how high the total intake is.

Really interesting. Like you, I’m quite happy with the way things are going for me since a recent blip I have now rectified. Do I mess around trying to reduce CHO intake further or leave well enough alone? Mmm.

Think I’ll just maintain my awareness for now. 😊

Hi Carol – I use MyFitnessPal, though I’m sure it’s not always mega accurate. Have been getting irritated with it when it bosses me about eating too little on FDs, or pops up that ive had quite enough fat for one day, thank you, so it’s not perfect (if anyone knoks a better one, please shout. ) But I’ve just discovered you can customise nutrient goals, which helps.
    I’m a great believer in ‘if it ain’t broke….’: if it were just about weight I would leave well alone – and sounds as if you’re doing fine. Just thought it might be useful to anyone finding maintenance less easy.

Hi everyone. I thought I’d drop in on this thread after reaching my goal at the end of the year and losing just under 13 kg on the 5:2. I started in early May of last year. I’ve been able to maintain at 58-59 by continuing with 2 FD per week. So far that’s working well. I can eat pretty much whatever I want on NFD as long as I don’t go crazy. I rarely eat breakfast.

What does everyone here do to maintain?

Fantastic Califdreamer (with flowers in your hair?🙄) You’ve
    done brilliantly.
    My advice is to keep doing what you are already doing. Embrace the lessons you have learnt on the path to the new you. This is what works. Most of us find we continue with twice weekly fasts once we reach our goal, but are a little less strict on non fast days or increase the fast day intake a bit.
    My husband and I are heading towards our 5 year 5:2 anniversary. We still fast strictly on Monday, with no food for 24 hours, then about 500-600 cals of fish and salad. Thursdays are often not quite as strict. We skip breakfast often and rarely snack. We now eat some bread, but very rarely eat rice, pasta or potatoes. We never drink sugary drinks and dessert is usually sweetened full fat yoghurt with cinnamon, berries and nuts. We eat a lot less meat, sticking mainly to seafood with lots of veg.
    The ability to go long periods without food and to eat lots of fresh, unprocessed foods has been life changing. Mr P has reversed his insulin dependent Type 2 diabetes and both of us feel years younger.
    Analyse what changes you have made to your lifestyle and keep it up!
    Keep posting….everyone’s ideas add to the bank of fasting knowledge. Cheers PVE

Califdreamer congratulations on reaching your goal weight!

As purple says keep on doing what works for you. It’s all a matter of trial and error and I find 4 years down the track I am still modifying and changing the food I eat, how much I eat and when I eat.

My maintenance regime is one FD a week. I don’t generally skip brekkie because that doesn’t seem to achieve anything for me but if I’ve got a busy day of going out for example I quite often delay my breakfast so it becomes more of a brunch.

I don’t eat bread pasta rice or anything else I haven’t thought of that’s white lol

Lots of veg, salad, protein and full fat dairy. Love my food now! Never thought I’d say I don’t want cake anymore or even that I’d say when I do have some I actually don’t enjoy it, but that’s the way it is now.

The old adage is true – this is a way of life!

Morning, all, I had unticked the response box somehow, so missed some posts. Welcome, Califdreamer. I hope you’ve not been effected by the sequence of horrendous, freak events there recently.

I maintain on 16:8 every day, although I did need a little reboot after Christmas as I seemed settled at top of my wriggle room, do did two FDs last week. OH is driving me mad, though. He is stuck with 21 lb to lose and must be cheating somehow! He had lost his beer belly completely, but it’s back.

Carol, it is strange to feel that we just don’t want cake, isn’t it? I have such a stock of small chocolate bars in the fridge, my Saturday afternoon treat when OH is at the rugby club. But I don’t get round to eating it. That’s one of the great pluses of 5:2. ,nothing is banned, but put off until a NFD then you find you no longer want whatever it is.

Pol. 🙋🏼

Hi Poll
    Now I’m feeling guilty! I’m not a sweet tooth at all, but have had some coconut ice taking up a container I needed.. .I’ve just eaten 2 pieces 😑😑 Oops P

Ha ha, well I don’t have a sweet tooth..unless I get started with sugar, and then it can be moreish. I’d rather have savoury treats most times, although we do have a bit of 70 or 85% cocoa chocolate with nuts at the weekend. That doesn’t lead to sugar craving though.

Calif,

Congratulations on the weight loss. I lost 14ish kg four years ago and have kept it off with flexible IF (7:0, 6:1: 5:2, depending on how my weight is). I eat pasta/rice/bread rarely now, and a lot of weeks are added sugar free. Lots of veg, and cheese and nuts for snacking. Full fat all the way 😀

Just lost a long post!

Hello again, Cali. Haven’t heard your voice in a while. Congratulations on reaching that goal — Woohoo! What you are doing to maintain [2 Fasts/week] is just the ticket. And you are savvy enough to note when the scales bob up and to know what to do about it.

Can’t say I’ve lost my sweet tooth… :(. Had a croissant for brunch today, the first in many months. But we will eat a Fast Dinner tonight and the calories for the day will add up to 1000. Tomorrow will be a full Fast Day of 600 calories. Friday night we went away to a Wine Tasting: 8 tables of 8 wines each [no, we did NOT sample them all!] and small plates of delicious foods to pair with them. Yummmm. Then Saturday, not hungry for breakfast, I ate 2 sausages with my coffee. Dinner menu at restaurant had a nice touch: pasta entrees were available in 1/2 portions, so I had the crab fettuccine and no appetizer. Don’t know where this is all going to lead, but we’ll know tomorrow and Tuesday morning on the scales.

PVE, glad that Mr P has reversed his sugar numbers. What a victory.

Mr P is a fine example of what Dr Jason Fung says….diabetes is not an inevitable downward spiral. Fasting has reversed his dependence on medication. He will always have to monitor his bs, but diet and fasting are the key. P

Good morning, all! Well I consoled myself with ice cream yesterday after a disaster! I only knocked my lovely Galileo thermometer over on the hearth. Oil and splinters of glass in a puddle on the new carpet.

Luckily we have some thicker than usual kitchen roll, so repeated layers of that, weighed down with hardback books seems to have succeeded. I got up early to remove the last lot and mop it with white vinegar and woolite. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw that a red book cover had bled onto the paper! Hadn’t gone through, thankfully!

PVE, I keep telling my OH about your husband in order to encourage him. No chance, in fact he doesn’t really believe it. He’s stuck with that 7 lbs regained!

Pol.

Pol, the only way someone will try something new is to recognize a need. Luckily, 5 years ago when we watched “Eat Fast and Live Longer”, he realised it might just work…and it did!
    Hopefully your man might accept that change is necessary. P

Polly, never thought I’d say no to cake either but there you go, lifetime habits can be changed! 😄

Sorry about the disaster with the carpet. I had a candle that hadn’t even been lit soak into my pine table so had to sand down and re seal the table – not happy! But I think my worst disaster award goes to the not one but two times I have smashed a bottle of nail polish all over my kitchen/dining tom floor tiles. 😥😁

PVE, BBC Wales rugby programme was filmed from our club on Sunday, Six Nations preview. He was quite prominent. Unfortunately, one person comment on his ‘slim line’. 😱. Well, it’s all relative!

Stain still evident on carpet. Bugger!

Pol 💁🏼

It’s funny how varied people’s idea of ‘normal’ weight is, Pol!
    Talking of mishaps, I smashed our large glass topped coffee table when wrapping a wine bottle for a Xmas present. It virtually exploded! Shattered glass all through the thick carpet. We still haven’t replaced it, but have decided it was the catalyst for chamging the 40 year old lounge furniture 😉 Watch this space. P

Oh, dear, PVE! Are you still finding minute particles of glass? I did another operation on my carpet yesterday without some success. That it is a new carpet, top quality for the price of ‘ordinary’ as we did hall and living room together, means that tiny fragments are lodged deep in the pile. I keep catching the odd gleam. 😳.

Re perceptions of weight, it’s more a comment of just how fat OH was previously!

Pol. 💁🏼

Our carpet is also fairly new and thick (made from corn!). I have vacuumed it thoroughly and have hopefully got it all.
    Mr P is always getting compliments on his weightloss ( and maintenance of it)..people don’t say the same to me, more often, ‘You both look so well!’ Pretty sexist! They won’t comment on a woman’s weight.P

Same here Purple re no comment on weight, apart from SA in dress shops!

Hope you both get your carpets looking good again soon P& P!

Perhaps it’s the other way round here. No one comments on OH’s weight loss, but I’ve had quite a few.
    Maybe the 10 inches lost from my waist! 😄

Pol, 10″ off the waist is a triumph! Wow. What a shame about your carpet. Good grief.

P, maybe people are afraid they’ll sound sexist if they say you lost weight. My ODH never used to compliment women on weight loss, for fear that they would hear the implication that they were FAT before. I explained that the compliment is what every woman yearns for when she diets, so he has changed his tune.

Had a bit of a health issue on Tuesday….. Began by feeling ‘as if I were coming down with something’ on Sunday night. Fasted on Monday but could eat barely half of the dinner. Went to bed early and woke up at 3 am. Decided to go to the loo, passed out and fell to the floor with an audible ‘thunk’ which woke ODH. He was alarmed! And I was surprised. Same sequence occurred 3 hours later! ODH called our MD who said to get me to the Emergency Room right away. So we did, and nothing odd was found, though they sent me home with an antibiotic, just in case. Anyhow, not the Flu, thank goodness. Feeling better today, but still resting. ODH wonders if lack of food on monday lead to fainting on Tuesday, but I’m not sure.

Hope you are all healthy and that the worst thing happening is a rug catastrophe.

Oh fastingme that sounds scary! Maybe your blood pressure had dropped due to fasting when not feeling well? I can never rely on my memory 100% but thought the advice was not to fast if you were unwell???
    Mind you, you said you couldn’t eat not that you weren’t eating. Hope it doesn’t happen again. 😕

Fasting_me,

Glad to hear you’re OK. I’ve never been a fainter, but I very nearly did last year at the physiotherapists on the day after a fast day (and before I’d broken the fast). I lay down for a couple of minutes and was revived by a glass of water, so I guess it wasn’t blood sugar. I’m assuming it was probably BP related, as I’ve always had low end normal BP and it does drop with fasting. Did they take your BP at the ER?

On the subject of comments and compliments, I had my hair cut last week, a very different style to the one I’ve sported for the last ahem 10 years…or so… All the women I know have commented and said it suits me, to which I say aw thanks. All the men have said ‘You’ve had your hair cut…’, to which I can only reply ‘yes’ ! So I’m left thinking either it doesn’t look nice, the men can’t lie but female friends can (for my sake!), or it does look nice, women are being honest, but men can’t bring themselves to say it (for fear I’ll think they didn’t like my old hairstyle? Or that I might think they’re hitting on me?!). Who knows!

We all read so much into comments, don’t we?😉
    I’m glad you are ok now f_me. I also had a Torrid Tuesday and had to abandon a b2b fast. I managed to collapse on a soft couch. Wiser than a hard surface (I’ve done that before😑😶)
    I forced myself to eat (lying down) and picked up after a few hours. I put my vertigo and nausea down to high humidity causing sinus issues. My bp is always on the high side these days…it flipped from very low at menopause. Dizziness can result from both extremes. P

Wow! You’re going down like flies, ladies! Be careful! I’ve only ever fainted when I’ve banged my funny bone – once in a shop!

I should be going to Grumpies for lunch today, but the carpet cleaner is coming to see what he can do with my disaster at that time. Crossing everything.

Very cold here!

Pol.

Hi Polly,

Cold here too. And forecast to be cold and wintry on Saturday too. While I am looking forward to the arrival of spring, and there will be lots to do in the garden, I’ll be happy if I can’t get outside for the next few weekends 😀

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your carpet! Luckily I’ve not spilled anything on ours, but the cat has trashed our dining room carpet in one corner. I think he thought he’d be able to dig his way under the skirting to get the rodent out from behind the dry lining… No respect for property!

Thanks for you good wishes, Fellow Maintainers. Still wandering around vaguely with stuffed sinuses, hence, no appetite. Then ODH came down with his version of this, so we take turns doing what needs to be done, at the bare minimum. We won’t be too lively for going to friends’ tomorrow for watching the Super Bowl. If ODH isn’t better, he shouldn’t go… But then we’ll miss the good food and companionship!

Hope the carpet cleaners can deal with your rug issue, Pol.

PVE, curious that your BP changed in that direction after menopause. My BP was usually highish, but has been going down to low-normal. At the hospital on tuesday, it was normal for me. Glad you are on your feet again.

Happy, do YOU like your hair? Is it flattering? That’s all that matters. Poor men: they just don’t know what to say these days.

Although the rest of you might not care, Go Patriots!!

Sorry, fasting_me, but Go Eagles!! We spent four years in Philadelphia (during the George Bush Snr presidency), so naturally still support the local teams. Plus, the Eagles have never won the SuperBowl.

We’ve just had the hottest January on record. I love the heat, but it has been very humid, and I’m fortunate not to be working outside on heavy work.

Stay well and stay upright, everyone.

F_me,

I hope you and OH pick up soon. Miserable for you both.

It’s a funny thing, having a haircut. Unlike weight loss, which is gradual and can therefore go unnoticed by people that see you regularly, a different hairstyle doesn’t go unnoticed. I think I like my hair, but it’s a big change for me, and I’d rather have had two weeks to get used to it before venturing out in public!

We will sort of support the Eagles as we fly into Philadelphia and have a few days booked

More importantly, the Six Nations has just started. Wales v Scotland and against all expectations, Wales were magnificent! It was a brilliant, running game. I feel wrung out only watching. We have do many injuries, but the youngsters did good!

Embarrassed to report half a pound over top wriggle room. 🤨😩

Pol.

Me too Poll 😑 I blame it on my longer hair…I’ll have to join Happy (or eat less) 😣😉😁

Viewing 50 posts - 9,751 through 9,800 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.