The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,151 through 9,200 (of 11,673 total)

• Barata, Sonny Bill Williams used to play for our Roosters (NRL) but was too much trouble. We got rid of him. Some ‘sportsmen’ never learn.

Interesting research by Mr P Purple. I have smoked salmon nearly every day for lunch – hope that counts!

A lovely day out in Keswick supporting OH who was doing the Skiddaw Fell Race this afternoon – I ended up watching a local cricket match near the start of the race – lovely small cricket ground in the shadow of of the impressive Skiddaw – very civilised afternoon!

@hermajtomomi – I have everything crossed for you too! I’m trying to picture you and Mr H as roadies for a punk group……..

Still maintaining at below 55kg – at the end of the June Challenge the scales were at their lowest since starting this WOL 53.7kg! So now starting my 8th month in maintenance! a mere novice compared to some of you πŸ˜€Interesting reading your posts and it is giving me insight on making sure not to let things slip away from me – at present I always try to press my “RESET” button with a strong FD after an overindulgent session – and sometimes add an extra FD into the following week! As PVE says we have to keep vigilant. It’s certainly worth it!

@barata – SBW was a bit silly and deserved that red card however I don’t think it was intentional but if Beauden Barrett had slotted the three kickable penalties he missed the Lions would not be roaring atm! Will definitely be watching next Saturday early start here at 0830!

Good news for me then re the seafood as OH and I have a diet heavily loaded with oily fish and lots of seafood!

Does anyone else think that the wisdom of Winnie the Pooh applies to the 5:2 WOL?
    β€œTo know the way,
    we go the way,
    we do the way.
    The way we do,
    the things we do,
    it’s all there in front of you.
    But if you try too hard to see it,
    you’ll only become confused.
    I am me and you are you.
    As you can see;
    but when you do
    the things that you can do,
    you will find the way.
    The way will follow you.”

53.7 AT? Woo! Impressive!
    I’ve always lent towards Eeore’s philosophical thinking, but I can see Pooh has a point in this case. ☺P

At, what a lovely day. You’re lucky to live in such a beautiful area. You must be very slim now! Well done? How much have you lost and what’s your target?

That, 8.4 was my pre-marriage weight – 50 years ago now! 😳 I’m happy around 9st at my great age.
    Love that thought from Pooh!

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Thanks PVE – so glad I found this WOL

@pollypenny – I know and I am so grateful that I was able to move here on my retirement!
    This is my weight loss journey:-
    *January 2 2014 = BMI: 27.9 Wt: 75kg/165.3lbs (I had just retired from a stressful although enjoyable job, and moved to the beautiful Lake District; started walking and being more mindful about what I ate)
    I had to travel back to Australia a couple of times in 2014 as my mother became ill and eventually died in Sept/2014 – this made me re-evaluate my health and what I wanted out of life!
    *January 3 2016 = BMI: 25.6 Wt: 68.8kg/151.7lbs (started 5:2 WOL)
    *October 30 2016 = BMI: 22.1 Wt: 59.5kg/131.2lbs
    *December 7 2016 = BMI: 20.3 Wt: 54.7k/120.6lbs (Aim now to stay below 55kg and I have managed to do this successfully since)

I don’t want to lose anymore weight – but would love to tighten up a bit more around my tummy although may need to accept this is me at 59yrs!!!

β€œMotivation is what gets you started; Habit is what keeps you going”

Wow, that brilliant, AT! Your last line should be our motto – so true.

We started in April 2016, after being force-fe, it seemed, with Irish hospitality! bmi 28.3. I wanted to lose 21lbs, bringing to 9 st 7. Hit that on 20th September, then continued to lose..I seem to have settled around 9. Lunch at Prezzo today, the light choice, so yoghurt, cherries and strawberries for dinner.

Just remembered, I have enough wine for a small glass left! 16:8 is my answer. Flabby tummy, though, but post hysterectomy and now 70. I’m more than happy. I bought some trousers from Marks today. – they have to go back! I keep forgetting I’m size 10! πŸ˜€

My recording weigh day. Two lbs up from last week, but I have been way down during the week.

I’m really bothered by OH, though. That damn beer belly is well and truly back, although he thinks that because his small trousers still fit, he’s fine. We were out this U3A last night and after the meal, two courses, the gut was straining the shirt! He’s been vey busy in the garden and rewards himself with a can! Grrrr!

Pol. 😝

Two pounds is nothing Polly! Re your OH – you can lead a horse to water etc etc

He/you are to be congratulated he’s even tried to lose weight – I wouldn’t even bother with my OH as I know he wouldn’t give up the alcohol which is his main source of weight plus little exercise. 😊

My version is “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.” 😊
    Mr P would run amok completely (gastronomically) if I didn’t guide him.
    We had pizzas for dinner (his choice) but I used chickpea flatbreads as bases and roasted veg (garlic, capsicum, eggplant, fennel), salami, panchetta, prawns, coriander, feta and baby spinach for toppings. Much healthier. He loved it. ☺☺P

Purple, where do you get the chick pea flat breads? The one thing I miss is the healthy casual style food.
    I’ve found a burger bun that is made out of flour other than refined wheat but the buns are very small. Sometimes on a Friday night I do gourmet burgers for our tea and until I found these particular buns it was always disappointing for me. I would love to have some chickpea flatbreads!

I buy them at the local fruit shop…Master Wraps.

Oh, I love that ‘pencil must be led’, purple! OH takes little exercise, too, but normally he’s happy with wine. It’s sort of a Pavlovian response to slug beer after exertion!

Himself has just had porridge for lunch, no breakfast and has bought fancy drinks, no sugar in cans for after hard work treats. I’m not at all wired about gaining two pounds, as I’m still under my amended downwards target. I seem to stay around 126lbs +/- a pound.

Had a few compliments on my new look last night, grey spiked hair and big, bold glasses rather than my usual rimless. I suppose I’m making a statement. πŸ€“
    Don’t have teeth like that, though.
    Pol

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚You don’t want to be mistaken for a mouse, Pol!
    Beer and cider are big problems…wine isn’t. Try to change his habit. It’s all about bloodsugar spikes πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘P

Hi All,

I’ve been maintaining at top end of my maintenance range for the last couple of weeks, but this week’s fasts seem to have forced a change. The top of my maintenance range is still 3kg below my original goal so (like you Polly!) it’s not really the end of thr world!

My OH is a healthy weight, and didn’t join me on 5:2. To be honest, I didn’t actually bother discussing it with him. He’s very intelligent…but ignorant and uninterested in ‘health’. He eats healthily because I cook healthily! And he’s naturally an intermittent faster, some days he just isn’t hungry and he doesn’t eat when he’s not hungry (he gets a bit annoyed when I suggest he’s actually practising a form of 5:2 πŸ˜€).

My Dad does practice 5:2. He was very successful, despite having a limited understanding of calories! Unfortunately he has now regained half a stone. He still does two fast days, but his non-fast days are slipping. And he’s a terrible overeater when he has visitors; he’s always been a ‘feeder’, he thinks that’s what makes a good host (and parent!). I struggle to get him to comprehend that two fast days doesn’t equal weight loss (or even maintenance) when you’re overeating on every other day. But he doesn’t or won’t understand that an extra biscuit every day (or an extra 2000 calories every time he has visitors) needs an equivalent stepping up in fasting/calorie reduction on fast days!

Polly, what colour are your ‘bold glasses’? I’m imagining red for some reason!

Well done, Happy. A bit of leeway is good. This weighing every other day helps me allow for treats, like wine and the odd ice cream, then pulling back when needed. OH refuses to see how helpful that is, though.

No more red glasses for me! They’re brown and blue, sort of tortoise shell effect. I’ve had lots of red pairs, but the last pair became a problem in a way. Ever since Calendar Girls I’ve had ‘oh, you look like Julie Walters’. Well, Mama Mia became embarrassing – she wore my exact glasses, resulting in me being stared at in restaurants, stopped in Rome and in Crete.

It’s odd to be stared at – I usually think my zip is undone or I’ve food on my chin before I twig. But if you’ve read her autobiography, that could be me on the cover. πŸ˜‚

Happy, your dad’s story is how the weight sneaks up on us all. Good on him for trying, though.
    Purple, wine is definitely safer. He is a bit of a buff, but it’s after hard work that he goes for the quantity, I think, and beer as the macho bit! 😁
    Pol.

Thanks Purple, I will look for that brand.

I think you and/or Mr P would be doing an enormous community service if you provided a list of all the foods that cause the sugar spikes 😊. I have the GI list of foods but never sure if the high GI foods are the same foods that cause the spikes?

Polly, I love short spiked gray hair on mature women. Once my hair goes all grey I intend to have mine cut like that – hope it suits me lol!

Happy, it’s very interesting when you begin to notice how many people actually do a form of 5:2 or more commonly 16:8 unintentionally. I also notice those people don’t have weight problems! Wish I could be more like that but TBH I just love food lol!

Oh, so happy after a brilliant game! I think that’s the best game of rugby I’ve ever seen! What do you think, Barata? The Barrett brothers look alike!
    Carol, it’s so true what you say about unintentional 16:8 or 5:2. One of my spurs was acknowledging that my two slim friend eat very little.

I’m very jealous Polly! We’ll get to see highlights only…

On the subject of natural intermittent fasters and calorie restrictors…. We have a greedy lazy cat who vacuums up everything and would be even fatter than he is given half the chance. We also have a slim and active cat. His eating habits are vastly different. When the weather’s bad and he’s not so active, he doesn’t eat. We lock them in overnight. The fat one won’t start the day until he’s had breakfast; the thin one won’t eat breakfast before he goes out!

Polly, thanks for explaining why I pictured the spiky hair with red framed spectacles!

Happy, OH bought a Kodi, an Amazon fire stick for about Β£40. It doesn’t need to benlinkednyl Amazon, but it gives access to lots of things via sites such as Modbro.

Polly, I feel you aren’t speaking English any more πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜Ά

Bloodsugar and low gi are connected Carol, but it is complex. Every individual reacts differently, but what we find interesting is the high gi foods, some of which seem to create unexpectedly higher spikes than others. Eg creme bruleΓ© is much worse than rhubarb crumble.
    On the plus side, consuming apple cider vinegar before high gi foods reduces their effect. And large quantities of veg (raw or cooked) as well as fish, help stabilise bloodsugars.
    Jason Fung has done a lot of work on this.
    Off on our trip this week, so no more cold. 😊😊😊P

Oh, heck! Missed the space bar. Meant to say the Kodi doesn’t have to link to Amazon. 😳
    Pol

Polly, I have to confess that it was a struggle to keep awake, especially after the standard of play deteriorated. We enjoyed the event in a very crowded pub/restaurant in Nelson, screens without number. The lads do look alike, don’t they, except for Scott who is from a different egg. When Mr Barrett senior retired from rugby, and was asked what he was going to do, the response was “go and breed All Blacks” ! πŸ™‚ It seems to have worked. I think Mum was also a rep in some sport also.

The grey is starting to be visible at the scalp and I’m not due for a cut / dye for nearly two weeks. I can see the day when grey spikes might be in order. Not ready to feel that old yet, though. I have moved back to brown from the summer red, but light brown will blend better, and probably suit the aging skin as well.

What’s a Kodi?

Poor Polly! Don’t listen to Barata! How rude, to suggest having a haircut like Polly’s would make you feel “that old”!!

I don’t agree that grey hair is necessarily aging anyway. Very obviously dyed hair on men or women who are facially very old and clearly would be naturally grey can be aging too.

I’m watching the progression of my grey hairs with interest. I’m hoping to develop a Cruella de Vil streak. I’ve never dyed my hair and I have no intention of starting now. Maybe I’ll change my mind on that in a few years though….!

P, I hope you have a great trip and get warm!

OH is away on business this week, and I have the usual dilemma – do I take the opportunity to prepare dishes I like but he doesn’t or do I finally get round to that extended fast I keep toying with doing. Food normally wins 😊

Thanks Happy.
    I’m with you on dyed hair. As we age the hair must lighten to suit our mature skin. I really hate seeing regrowth in coloured hair.
    Have fun eating whatever you want 😊😊
    Back to Grand Designs NZ…..
    P

Barata, how could you not have been engrossed in that game? End to end the whole time!

The grey hair is much brighter than the faded mid-brown which would happen after about 14days after a colour. I used to be very dark, but those dyes are always harsh. I’m very happy with my bright spikes! And the odd blonde highlight lifts it.

Happy, when the cat’s away!

The Kodi is the same as an Amazon fire stick. Goes in the side of a smart TV and accesses other links. We got Sky Sports through it.

It did occur to me that perhaps Barata wasn’t engrossed because the All Blacks didn’t run away with it… πŸ˜€ Certainly all the reviews I’ve read agree with your analysis of the match Polly!

Hello

Maintaining nicely below that 55kg target still – weight has swung from 55.5kg to 53.5kg since reaching maintenance in Dec 2016 but mostly sits around 54.4kg

On the topic of grey hair – if like me you inherited a gene from your dad and started going grey in your early 30’s and started dyeing your hair it’s hard to stop…….now at the ripe old age of 59 πŸ˜‰ with short hair, I’m very tempted to go completely grey as I also hate when the grey roots start to show and I feel that they drain the life out of my face……..BUT I am so scared to stop as the thought that I would not recognise or even like the new me in the mirror is rather scary……..HELP………

Rugby was great – if the umpire had not downgraded his original penalty decision to a scrum in favour of the All Blacks right at the end…….it might have been a different ending…… methinks!
    @happynow – I watch the rugby/tennis/cricket on line on my laptop as I refuse to pay for SKY….very easy to find free views – currently watching the women’s cricket Australia v Eng match…

Just returned from a quick visit down south for a catch up with my friend (the one diagnosed with the slow growing cancer) unfortunately when surgery was attempted a few weeks ago they could not proceed as the tumour was too invasive….she is in such a dark place atm waiting to see if chemotherapy is now an option….. I was talking to her on Thurs and decided on the spur of the moment to drive down on Friday morning to give her a hug in person and then drove back home yesterday PM as I already ha plans for this afternoon. Visit was well worth the drive! we spent a wonderful afternoon and evening together on Friday with another good friend – talking, crying and much laughter too – drinking and eating too much!!!! The visit had to be short as I already had plans for this afternoon but so glad I made this visit.

Made me realise that life is to be enjoyed, friendships nurtured and good health to be appreciated. This WOL has given me the health and the mental feel good factor to make the most of every day and I am so lucky that I am in a position to appreciate it all………

“The best things in life are the people we love, the places we’ve been and the memories we’ve made along the way”

I went grey early and dyed it for years. Then I stopped over the summer and let it turn grey. No more sore scalp, no more mess and time on such a temporary fix. It really suits my skin tone and I love it. I am 56 and don’t regret it for an instant.

AT, so sorry about your friend’s latest developments. Thinking of you both – walking alongside can be almost as hard as being the patient.
    Re the grey: I had the Cruella streak from the age of about 5 (when my previously white blonde started to darken to brunette, apart from a streak across the front) and was entirely silver by 30. Never dyed it – loved it at 30, when it was different and my trademark: still love it, but less so now at 72, when everyone else has caught up and I’m no longer unique! But yes, short and spiky (looks like M*****et Th****er if it gets long) and last year swapped my square black specs for enormous round red ones, Iris Apfel style….(I really want my beloved contacts back, but can no longer handle the ‘ins and outs’). And the new hearing aids are silver, to match. Never give up!

Ha ha, fast, we are embracing our ages in a positive way. 70 does not mean frumpy! Annette has nailed it – the grey is bright, light and suits and my suit tone, usually with a bit of a tan. The faded dye made me look faded.

AT, so sorry about your friend. You’re right about living every day. Maybe OH was right – we should have gone to New Zealand! Actually, Read was lucky that his jump at Liam wasn’t ruled foul play. So evens, eh?

Pol.

Great to hear from Fast and Annette (old timers… fasting wiseπŸ˜€).

I’ve been with the same hairdresser now for six years. She was 19 she I started!! She’s now bought a house with her boyfriend (and got a kitten, now a cat!) and is saving for the wedding, and thinking about babies πŸ˜€ She tells me about Ibiza and Manchester (because I’ve never lived πŸ˜€); I educate her in rowing up potatoes and dry stone walling (because she hasn’t)….. Anyway, I digress. I mentioned my grey hair, fully expecting her to strongly promote dying (hair!) to prolong youthfulness, but she was like ‘you’re not that grey yet’ (ha ha, one of my pet hates ‘like’ πŸ˜€). Anyway, to cut a long and rambling story at least a little bit shorter, I’m now even more convinced (thanks P, F and A!) that the best thing will be to grow old, wrinkled, grey, and ornery πŸ˜€

Well, I’d like to do without the wrinkles! 😝

I saw a woman I knew from the last place we lived, her son and mine were friends in the Infants school. She was very slim, as brown as a nut and she looked like the grinch!

Yes, I am regretting that, during my years of fieldwork through my 20s and 30s, I didn’t pay more attention to sun protection (although actually, it was all weather protection I needed).

I suspect I will end up looking like someone who spent too much time sunworshipping in Greece, when in reality it will just have been too much time outside in the U.K.!

Hey, Happy, less of the ‘wrinkled’, please! Grey and ornery I may be, saggy, certainly – but the only compensation for a lifetime of oily skin is – no wrinkles. (Not on my face, anyway: they’re all on my tummy, back, arms, legs…..thanks, 5:2……. )

So true AT. We must all grab every moment of life. Never put off quality time with friends because “life” gets in the way.
    I’m SO envious of your olive skin Fast! As a fair skinned girl living in the land of melanomas, I have always covered up, even when swimming. I have actually been reprimanded in the UK by people who tell me I haven’t looked after my skin!!! Aussie sun is not kind on Celtic complexions. I have wrinkles and freckles everywhere! The only way to lose the wrinkles would be to gain masses of weight again…not going there! I’m also never going to commit time and money listening to inane hairdresser conversations 😐 Dress in interesting clothes, keep up to date with current affairs. Read widely. That’s the way to stay relevant.
    Great to see some lurkers back. ☺☺ We must have a lot of maintainers happily doing their thing hanging around. Cheers everyone of you. P

Sorry to disappoint, P, but afraid its oily, not olive, and comes complete with tendency to acne which stubbornly persists into old age. Medium shade/cool tone, so ‘winter’ colours (I look dead in pastels) – but it’s true I rarely burn, despite very little protection in careless youth. Removal of a nasty from my nose a year or three back has made me more conscientious- if you have lovely Celtic skin you’re right to be careful. But guess what, friends? Beside the sun, the other big ager and wrinkle begetter is apparently…..(drum roll….πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯) SUGAR🍹🍩πŸͺ🍭🍰!!! Who knew???!πŸ™€πŸ™€
    Thanks for welcoming back the lurkers: mea culpa…

At least it’s not salt…I’m a savoury fan, not a sweet tooth 😫 …the nearest I could find to an emojie with “experience lines”. Don’t emojies get wrinkles? P

So nice to hear from you and your sense of humour again Fast and Annette52!

Re grey hair: I’m like Purple, should have lived my life in Ireland! Fair fair skin, freckles, do not tan. The only sunscreen when I was young was zinc cream- not a good look! Anyway, more to genes than anything else my face is pretty good wrinkle wise but I have no colour in my face. At 55 I decided I would grow my hair out to see what colour it was now. Big mistake! I had assumed, wrongly, my hair would just fade to a dirty blonde like most redheads. Not so – my hair was now a dark Mousey brown and it looked AWFUL!

I hear what you’re all saying about too much colour in our hair for our face and am always questioning the hairdresser – is it time to go grey yet? Is it is it? I do trust him and he always says, no, you’ve still got some quite dark hair underneath which means it will be salt and pepper. He knows how sensitive I am about this and modifies my colour and I feel I still get away with it.

One of the main reasons I would like to go grey is to reduce the $$$$!

My cousin who is the ‘other’ Irish colouring – black hair, pale skin, blue eyes did go grey a few years ago and I must say its not flattering.

AT! I think you know I have a friend in a similar situation to yours but further along the line with no good news at the end and I drop everything to spend time with her albeit she is in another state and it takes me three quarters of a day to get there.

That’s one of the good things about ageing, we start to realise what’s important in life and what isn’t – like the colour of our hair and wether we still have any or not. 😊

Have a lovely week everyone, I so appreciate the chit chat that goes on here.

Sorry, Polly. I was just too tired to appreciate the game, have had an awful couple of weeks of sleep (or lack of it) πŸ™ And refereeing seems to be such a subjective activity, with so many calls going either way.

I’m not ready to give up the colouring of my hair yet. It’s very economical as I do it myself, and my face is still supporting the darker shades.

There’s an icy blast about to hit in the next day or two. I’m glad we got our weekend away while the sun shone.

Oh, Barata, that’s a shame. I hope you can feel better soon. We’re are having lovely weather at the moment – rainy this morning, though, but not cold.

Re Celtic skins, my father in law was ginger, as was OH’s sister and two brothers. OH had his mother’s black hair. Our children are both very dark, although son is baked now. I’ve no idea why so many young men lost their hair early. Wearing these baseball caps permanently?

Pol

We are not gingers Polly!! 😐 Or any of the other derogatory terms used for redheads. I see it as racist attacking Celts for their hair/skin colour.
    This came to a head when we had our only female PM…with auburn hair. The press and other pollies had a field day undermining her by calling her names instead of discussing her policies and leadership skills.

The boys are bald because they are so sexy…testosterone induced baldness. Mr P and all 3 sons fit into that description πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

You are right Barata. The artificial red hair you were sporting when we lunched suits you. I hope life settles a bit for you. P

Polly, check out Tim Minchin’s song Taboo (Ginger Song) 😊😊

Thank you, P. πŸ™‚ No early baldness among my males. OH has a no.4 cut over his grey, most distinguished. And why anybody thinks its appropriate to comment slightingly about anyone else’s features, hair colour, height etc – just plain rude. As we dined on Friday we got into conversation with the couple at the next table, as you do, and one of the comments she dropped was her brother calling her shorty. As if she had chosen her height! Shouldn’t family be the ones to give support? On the other hand, her mother still lives with the stepfather that abused our co-diner as a child. πŸ™ πŸ™

Good heavens Barata, I bet you wished you’d Never started that conversation!!

Poor thing, she’s happy now, with a bloke 20 years her senior. I guess I’m a good listener.

PVE, father in law called himself ginger, as did the others. It’s not derogatory at all. Sister in law is dead now, but she and FIL were real strawberry blonde, the brothers were carrot coloured. D was often in trouble, when others got away with it as his hair made him easily spotted,

I am a typical Welsh Celt- short, with very dark hair. And Julia Gillard’s family came from Wales, Barry I seem to recall. I’d say auburn is that very dark shade of ginger – lovely. And that one we don’t have in the family. I don’t understand why you see ‘ginger’ as insulting?

Yes. Julia was Welsh. Minority groups get sensitive about name calling. Watch Tim Minchin to understand. ☺☺ Must go to sleep. Another fast day under the belt. P 😊

I am half Irish and half welsh which meant a lifetime of unruly dark brown curly hair, when I always wanted titian pre-Raphaelite curls. My hair(thanks Dad)started to go grey at 30, so out came the Henna with the dreadful mess and ghastly smell which took me up to 40 and then the change to box dyes from then on. While I was considering going grey I looked at women everywhere and came to the conclusion that it was those with natural grey hair that looked fabulous but those who kept there hair much darker than it should have been, looked like women who dyed their hair, it didn’t look natural. Men just go grey and generally look fabulous so why not women?
    I can’t actually remember when I decided to ditch the dye, probably around 52(now 56)and found that I really like it. My skin tone has changed and I look better. I have noticed that several of the women at work who used to dye their hair have ditched the dye too. A quiet revolution that is the last thing that makers of dye will want to hear.
    I think that being overweight is very aging. I looked far older when I was 3 stone heavier, struggling to climb stairs with sore knees and breathless most of the time.
    There is a woman that I see from time to time who has shoulder-length hair that is completely grey and it looks fabulous. You don’t have to go short if longer suits you.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,151 through 9,200 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.