The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,201 through 9,250 (of 11,673 total)

• I have never died my hair although I have had grey in my hair for over twenty years. I was the only girl at school who didn’t die her hair and I wasn’t about to start at 30. I am half Irish too, dark hair, blue eyes. Most of my pony tail is still dark but with interesting white streaks. I think that I look younger than women who die their hair. My sister is a red head and has gone greyer much slower than I have, she looks really young too. My hair is actually longer than it has ever been before. It has never reached as far down my back as it does now as it is really fine and used to never grow further. I think my improved diet this year is helping it grow better and be stronger so the bands don’t break it all off. I also look younger with the weight off at least in my clothes. Under them curves are changing to wrinkly skin, but no one is likely to see so so what.

I am lurking because I am really looking forward to joining this thread. I am going to have a healthy BMI at last this month:)

Well Fatrabbit, you have joined! Welcome. Hang around and chat. P 😊😊😊

Amazingly different thoughts on whether to dye or not – love it! At the end of the day – I say do what makes you feel good about yourself………
    @carolannfud – Totally agree that good friendships transcends distance but sometimes we just need to be able to hug πŸ€—
    @purple-vegie-eater – love Tim Minchin – I’ll look out for his song Taboo (Ginger Song) on YouTube
    @fatrabbit – great to see you here and as PVE said you have joined!

Had a brilliant yoga class this evening – felt really empowered afterwards and finishing my FD strong – a glass of my Kefir before bed
    I took some of my grains for my friend when I went to see her – we had discussed kefir and I had sent her some relevant links and she was keen to try – she rang me today to say she had her first glass!

Good night and happy dreams from the UK

Reached my goal of 20KG weight loss, BMI 21, 66KG. Now I will try 2 meals a day with a small snack between. Anyone tried this? if it don’t work well I will alternate between 6:1 and 5:2.

I am very confused now. I have been on no sugar for 18 months & 5:2 for that 5 months. The fast diet is playing on my brain with all the highs reported in the book. All sensational – my husband thinks I’m obsessed πŸ€—πŸ€—
    However. All my strength training has led me to running up a small headland of 67 metres a couple of times a week. I am seeking protein to feed my strength training etc. I now find breaking my fast at breakfast is a normal routine but this means my fast days tend to be an uncontrollable rise from 300 to 500 calories. I believe 300 calories is one quarter of my recommended intake based on my current weight of 57.5 kilos.
    I really would like to stick with a 6:1 or a 5:2 for life as the brain, cancer, heart benefits may be beneficial for my aging.
    Am I still fasting at 500 calories as a woman in my late 50s? Note I run up hill between 6km to 4kms 3 times a week.

@hedda. Im confused reading your post? What exactly are you asking? Are you wanting to know if having 500 cal is still considered fasting? In the strict sense of the definition Id say no. It is still possible to mimic the effects of fast without actually fasting, depending on what you eat. Valter Longo has done a lot of work in this area. Watch him on youtube. Only being 57 kg I would say you would be able to get into ketosis quite quickly by fasting (water only) for one day, 6:1. Or you could get there by eating zero carbs, just protein and fats. Then eat normally the other days or even slightly more than you would normally as your goal is not to lose weight. I water fast 6:1 and get into ketosis after 20-24 hours. I use a BG meter that can also measure ketones. I use a Freestyle optium neo but there are other brands on the market. Its not expensive, about $30 and the sticks are $1 per stick. Shop around.

Hedda, based on your weight I don’t think you are fasting at 500 calories. Your fasting calorie intake needs to be 25% of your TDEE. The fasting is to do with your health and is not impacted by your activity level, only your weight is impacted by that. At least this is my interpretation of 5:2.

I know we have people on the maintenance forum who don’t count calories strictly on FD anymore and neither do I really, you just get a good idea of what you’re consuming calorie wise, and so we may be a little above or below the specified figure.

I watched this interesting program on ABC TV last night – Ask the Doctor:gut.

The most interesting aspect for me was the dietician saying that potatoes and white rice cooked and then eaten cold become an insoluble starch. So while you wouldn’t want to eat them when hot when they’ve cooled the molecular structure changes and they are fine to eat. Amazing! I have never ever heard that before.

Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing…….😊

Hi Hedda (and everyone)
    I saw your post Hedda, and my understanding is that you are asking if you are doing 5:2 properly by having 500 calories on the 2 ‘fast’ days. And I would say ofcourse!
    Infact Dr Mosley is saying that if 800 calories is what you need to eat to make those two days sustainable, then eat 800 calories.
    All power to you!

@carolannfud. Snap I watched gut on iview last night and then watch another 3 episodes. I thought the bit about resistant starch was somewhat misleading. Im not sure if it was dumbed down for general viewing or not but it was misleading. Yes the starch in things like potatoes and rice can be made “resistant” starch. To get that to happen you need to cool the food down to 0C or as low as -8C to be sure that the process is occurring. The process is called retrogradation. And it does not happen to the entire starch content, only a portion of it. How much? How longs a piece of string?

My view is to eat foods high in soluble fibre instead. Then there is no ambiguity as to whats happening.

I thought it sounded too good to be true bigbooty! I missed the bit about the temperature. Oh well, too late for me! My OH makes fantastic fried rice which I never eat no matter how much I’m tempted and there was leftovers in the fridge this morning so I ate it for lunch.

Never mind! Back to no rice again now. 😞

Thank you all for your input. Yes I should be on 300 calories as one quarter of my TDEE; I will get back up that the next time. I was thinking that black tea or herbal is a very simple way of cutting out 145 calories. Then stick to s celery silverbeet stalk soup for dinner. A ll highly nutritious.
    I have discovered breakfast again & am enjoying celery or capsicum with LSA cashew butter tahini even low salt Vegemite; one half stick of celery is very filling with the protein. Extremely easy to do when traveling as I do very often.
    Thanks for supporting me Cinque- good to hear from you. I have had trouble with forum posts & my stream dropped out; I’ve been away again for work so eating at restaurants etc. All good that I don’t whinge about the champagne hangover following a big night out🍾.
    I did notice one major benefit though, my dancing has improved! Losing 28 kilos just does wonders for the dance floor manoeuvres – I can actually do the twist again!πŸ‘—
    Have a great day tomorrow 😎.

Cheers Hedda, glad to see you in the stream again!

Resistant starch: I always cook a big pot of rice and put portions in the freezer. Win!

Carol,

Trust Me I’m a Doctor (Michael Mosley is a presenter) had covered the resistant starch story a few years ago. I thought it was interesting too, the idea that eating cooled and reheated pasta would reduce calories.

The following link discusses it, and makes a very good point – why would you want to take a product that is already pretty poor nutritionally and make it even less digestible? Better to eat something else in the first place!

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/10/trust-me-im-a-doctor-not-on-nutrition/

Oh gosh yes Happy, that’s really interesting isn’t it! Hardly worth the effort for a range of foods that really don’t do anything for you nutritionally. Thankyou!

It just goes to show how attached we are to our simple carbs though doesn’t it? That we look for ways to turn them into the equivalent of cardboard just so we can keep eating them!!

@happynow that is how I feel about those zero calorie noodles that are so expensive. It seems rather obscene to spend extra for food that is nutritionally null. Much better to swap them for a pile of greens that are bursting with benefits. I used to be a complete pasta addict. I am much happier and healthier now I haven’t had any for months. Of course the same can be said for meat …

True Happy, but sometimes you just can’t beat those white carbs lol!

I guess a lot of us were raised on white carbs. I can remember my mum saying when we were kids….’if you’re still hungry, fill up on bread’….. And we all did and then developed an emotional attachment as well.
    We didn’t Eat pasta or rice in those days but certainly lots of pudding type foods made with white flour as well as the bread.

Carol, yep, I’m with you!

I guess with what we now know, white carbs like bread, pasta and rice need to be in the occasional treat category rather than the bulk of what we eat! And if you’re only going to eat it occasionally, go the whole hog! Don’t pfaff with cooling and reheating to render it less digestible. Eat it fresh, blow the calories, and try to scavenge some nutrients from it πŸ˜€

You’re absolutely right Happy, that is the best attitude and I’m going to follow that from now on. I already do a form of that ‘bargaining’, when I’m out and tempted to buy something I ask myself ‘would I rather eat this or the blah blah blah I have at home in the fridge’. Usually the response is I would rather eat what I have at home and settle for a coffee lol!

So now, I’m after a bit of moral support and help.

I am contemplating doing a water only FD. I have been motivated to try by the comments I’ve read on the forum from the fasters who do that. And I think you’re one of them Happy?

My first question is – is there any real benefit to a water only fast bearing in mind my meal on a FD is usually a bowl of home made soup.

Secondly – is it really that hard to do?

My last concern is that I wake during the night for the loo and often on a FD when I do that I notice I am starving and sometimes very tempted to go and get something to eat. I resist the temptation of course and in the morning when I wake I am not hungry at all. I’m just wondering if I will be able to last the night.

Any wise words greatly appreciated. 😊

Hi All
    just lurking reading posts on different forums and waiting to join the maintainers once I’ve managed to get rid of several kgs which are ‘ just lurking’ around me and being quite stubborn to shift.
    Adding to the discussion Re resistant starch , I make a couple of really nice salads – pasta or rice or potato with lots of healthy ingredients and other veggies added with a drizzle of EVOO/lemon juice/garlic/chilli. So am pretty happy to consume them and they are very tasty.
    Mind you since it’s winter here I haven’t had any for a few months.

Hi Carol,

I’m only a 24 hour faster, and I sneak a bit of oat milk into that for morning coffee… I think AT goes without food for the full 36.

As to benefits, that’s a tricky one! The evidence I’ve seen suggests a three day fast is a powerful tool for health, but below that I don’t know whether two days is better than one. It will obviously keep insulin lower for longer, so may have an extra benefit for weight loss/ maintenance. I am hoping to start doing the odd longer fast, so extending 24 hours to 36 in the first instance would be increasing in increments towards three days. I’ve got concerns about functioning while working (I need my sleep!), which is what’s preventing me getting started.

Re: waking up in the night hungry. I’m not sure that you’d be any more hungry than on a normal fast night, when you have eaten. And maybe less.

Hi Lily,

Good luck with your stubborn kilos.

Re: starchy food. Intermittent fasting, and (for the first four months) avoiding added sugar and simple white carbs, has allowed me to find a balance with those foods that was previously lacking. I now understand that I don’t need a bowl or plate of carbohydrates in the morning to fuel a desk job, but I do if I’m going to be walking all day in the mountains. And if I do start upping the carbs/sugars on a daily basis, without upping activity, then I do see a gradual creep on the scales. Choices and compromises!

Hi Happy, yes I think AT goes the whole time. Well I’m giving it a go so I’ll let you know how it was tomorrow!

It’s freezing cold here so I’m drinking lots of hot water. I’ve jus added a peppermin tea bag to my latest cup but pretty sure that’s ok.

JF says technically we shouldn’t have milk in our tea when fasting but the amount is usually so negligible he says not to worry about it. I have a bit of milk in my morning tea too and really wouldn’t enjoy it without I don’t think. Then again there’s been many things before 5:2 I said I wouldn’t enjoy and now I do! 😊
    Lily, Happy is right, while you are trying to lose more weight stop having the white carbs, it will be much easier for you. Good luck!

Good morning from a beautiful and sunny Cumbria

@happynow – thank you for that link – very interesting – As @fatrabbit says “swap them for a pile of greens that are bursting with benefits” I often replace pasta with vegetable spaghetti – courgette/zucchini, carrots put through a spiralizer – with the same pasta sauce as the OH has with his spelt pasta.
    I still eat brown rice or spelt pasta occasionally, very rarely eat bread by that I mean maybe once or twice a month; My weakness is a small slice of cake, twice a week with a skinny flat white…….
    @carolannfud – since reaching maintenance in December last year I still fast 2 days each week, these will vary between being just below 500cal/375cal(1/4 TDEE) or water only fasts (usually over a 40hr period as I never eat breakfast) depending on how I feel and how overindulgent a weekend may have been. Today I am planning on doing a water fast as both Sat and Sun were way over my TDEE!!!!!! but may well end up having a glass of my homemade milk kefir before bed……
    I often go to bed feeling hungry on a FD but never wake up feeling that way! I also only ever eat 2 meals per day(16:8 pattern of eating) and tend to avoid breakfast as I am usually not hungry on waking! Sometimes my first meal will be that slice of cake with a flat white, sometimes it will be a healthy brunch e.g. 1 slice sourdough toast, avocado and poached eggs and other times a salad or bowl of soup at lunchtime.

I’m firmly in the camp that loves good food and wine (pocket wino!) but has come to realise that not all food loves me as much……I eat and drink a bit of everything I fancy but not in the same quantities or as often as I used to eat/drink pre finding the 5:2 WOL. I’m a happy maintainer who does not feel deprived πŸ’ƒ

Health gains have been * Reduced cholesterol levels to near normal (tested pre 5:2 and 1 year on, in Jan this year) * Asthma no longer a health concern, no Ventolin (a broncho dilator) used for a year, Becotide (a preventer) reduced to 1/4 dose and currently doing a trial of 3 months of not using any! * Sleeping well * Feeling full of life and energy * A loss of over 20kg maintained

Hello @lilymartin lovely to see you here – as you can see we all found variations to work for us – you will ditch those last stubborn kilos too!

40 hours is excellent AT! I will only be doing 36 hours, but am very happy with that. And I Thought you sometimes had a kefir drink. Off to get another cup of hot water! πŸ’¦

@at I was on the same inhalers and haven’t used either in 3 or 4 months. Great isn’t it:)) If only it had got rid off my hayfever too, my nose seems to be running constantly atm, but at least I am not wheezing and my chest doesn’t feel tight. But the nose might be because I am eating more dairy, although only where the lactose has been converted, ie yogurt and cheese. With the pollen so high it is hard to determine the culprit, but if it continues past pollen season I may have to phase out the dairy.

I am happily having my first maintenance fast today. I am determined not to let myself think I can go easy on myself now. I know how fast I am capable of putting on weight. 18 hours without food so far, just lots of black coffee. I can’t/don’t want to do a no food fast but will put off eating as long as possible. I almost never wake up hungry and stick to 18:6 almost all the time. And recently with all the fruit in season I have just broken my fast with fruit and then had just one meal even on NFDs, although sometimes very big meals.

@carolannfud and @fatrabbit – whatever type of FD we do today we know we have each other for support! We need to give @fatrabbit a great start on her first FD in maintenance with all the support we can!!!

I have noticed a slight increase in my hay fever symptoms (which had been fairly dormant) lately too @fatrabbit – now is it seasonal or has the increased in dairy in the form of kefir something to do with it?? I totally agree that one has to be vigilant in maintenance, maybe more so than in the weightless phase – I promised myself that I never wanted to go back where I used to be – I enjoy the feeling I have on my FD and the freedom I have on my NFDs and most of all I love my new life especially how good I feel with lots of energy to enjoy the great outdoors here. You have done an amazing job and have been such a great role model for your son that I know you will have no trouble keeping this WOL going in your maintenance phase πŸ’ƒ

Yay! I did it! 36 hour fluid fast only. It was actually very easy. I drank lots of water, toilet about 3 times during the night, which is usual FD practice for me and NO hunger feelings during the night at all!

It’s a little bit about waking the hunger genie I think. When I have a bowl of soup for tea FD I feel hungry when I wake during the beginning of the night, but perhaps because I haven’t stimulated the hunger genie I didn’t have the hunger problem last night – who knows, doesn’t matter, I did it!

Fat rabbit welcome to maintenance! Just ensure you don’t eat over your TDEE on non FD and you should be fine.,it might be helpful to keep a record of calories consumed initially just until you get an idea of what you can eat during the day and still be under TDEE.

Im not good at recording dates but think I’ve been maintaining about 2 years and never had a problem with regaining weight.

Your weight can fluctuate and sometimes that scares the heck out of you but seems we all have these little periodic glitches that don’t amount to much in the end, 😊

This sounds like a challenge for me! I’m a strict 24-hour faster, but would like to move up to 42 – just one meal, I say, but when I have to prepare that meal for the three blokes…

Welcome to maintenance, newcomers, if I haven’t already offered a warm fasting greeting πŸ™‚ Great assistance and conversation here. It’s so satisfying to hear of health improvements on this wol.

What’s the latest on the housing saga, Hermaj?

I have just been trialling a fasting mimicking diet for 7 days, due to having indulged rather a lot on and after my birthday I was starting to feel a little bit out of my new maintenance comfort zone. I did two days of standard BSD fast (800-1000 calories so more of a mini fast by traditional 5:2 standards) followed by 5 days of plant based only food, as varied and rainbow like as I could, again at 800 calories, and with less than 10% protein, which worked out at around 20g a day. It wasn’t particularly difficult, I wasn’t even hungry except a couple of times and I thoroughly spanked my added weight with a loss of 10.6 pounds in 7 days (admittedly I had just finished TOTM so some extra water was probably part of that.) That took me to my lowest weight, probably since my school days, of 10 stone 4 pounds, exactly 8 1/2 stone lower than I started out in 2015. So now I know what I’m going to do if ever the pounds really start to pile on again.

MixnMatch I found your comments interesting as I had a similar experience some time ago.

I had a very persistent infection and antibiotics weren’t working so I went and saw a Chinese doctor for an alternative treatment. She told me to cut out all CHO and sugar (including fruit) from my diet. she didn’t tell me to restrict protein and I found I ate a bit more of that, generally in the for, of dairy, simply because I didn’t know what else to eat and I needed to fill up a bit.

After 3 days I lost another kg and I was already as low in weight as I wanted to be (I was maintaining not trying to lose).

Just showed me if I ever got out of control and needed a kick start again that was the way to do it!

Fabulous result for you!

Mixnmatch, that’s just a mind blowing amount of weight to lose. Congratulations on getting to your new low. I was interested in the FMD, for health benefits, but that’s another thing I’ve not got round to!

Carolann, well done on the 36 hours! You’ve inspired me, and I haven’t eaten today (just off to bed), although I can’t claim it as a zero calorie day. I wasn’t prepared to forego my morning coffee…with a bit of oat milk… and I had a swig of kefir about an hour ago. I’ll have coffee in the morning again, but will then see how long I can hold out! I’ve seen 60.4 on the scales a few too many times in the last week. Time to get serious!

So, I did 40 hours food-free, but with 200 calories from milk/oat milk/kefir.
    I had been 24 hour fasting (except 50 calls) with an evening meal of perhaps 800 cals. And I’d been ravenous, and never full, once I’d started eating the next day ☹️
    But the longer fast with less calories has had the opposite effect. Less hungry, no constant craving, smaller portions and felt full.

And from seeing 60.4 too many times, this morning I’m 59.4 πŸ˜€

So I’m sorry Michael Mosley, the increased fast day allowance just doesn’t work for me! It might make the fast day easier, but it makes the following days harder, and isn’t the reset that less calories is.

Terrific, Happy πŸ™‚ Well done to you too, Carol and Mix. And a rewarding weight drop.

Having never done more than 24 hours, I am planning a longer fast from tonight. Not sure how long it will be, so I am not telling anyone (sssssh…) Just flavoured teas, coffee without milk (I AM trying to acquire the taste), and water of course. Which will mean no kefir (milk or water) for a few days.

We are off on holiday next week to a warmer climate, and it would be good to have some wriggle room. Plus I know I have to bite the bullet sometime, for the health benefits as well. I’ve been doing 5:2 for nearly four years and it has worked wonderfully for me, but I would like to confirm that I have an extra weapon for kilo-creep.

Talking of kefir, I know I can keep the water grains in the fridge while we are away, but what is the best suggestion for the milk grains?

Happy, fantastic result and so useful to now have that insight about the way your body works in response to food and the ensuing cravings.

I found the fluid only fast surprisingly easy as I said and didn’t commit myself publicly either Barata!

However, the rest of the week has been a disaster food and weight wise. I’m now resolved not to arrange any social get together the day after FD unless it’s a situation in which I’ll only be drinking coffee or tea.

That was my downfall and spiralled out of control from there as I lost that momentum of continuously but slowly losing post FD.

Barata, freeze the milk kefir grains the same way as you do the water.

Have a great holiday! We’re off to Brisbane for a week for g’sons birthday, guess that’s a warmer climate than Adelaide lol!

It’s the Gold Coast for us, Carol, for our mid-winter R & R week. Sunny here in Wellington today, but there has been weather !!

I don’t freeze the water grains, just keep them refrigerated. But I might freeze the milk so that they don’t keep fermenting.

It sounds like you need a mini-FD on post-FDs? Or stronger resolve? I know, that’s what got us into trouble in the first place – lack of resolve. πŸ™‚

Must go and get some more vitamin D while I can. πŸ™‚

Good morning Maintainers

Great job by everyone for staying within their maintenance level – as most of us have found out, to stay there we do have to stay vigilant!!!
    I find by doing my 2 x 40hr FD each week, one of which I eat an evening meal of around 300-500cal and on the other I do a fluid only FD but I have a glass of my homemade kefir in that period as well as a bit of skimmed milk in my tea; has kept me below my original target weight of 55kg without too much worry about what I eat/drink on my NFD.
    However my eating habits are relatively healthy apart from a slice of cake twice a week and 2 x glasses of wine on 3 or 4 days a week and I always follow a 16:8 eating window as I never eat breakfast but will have brunch around 1100hrs on some days. However like everyone else I have had some days that are well over my TDEE, but as we have said before, that is the great thing about this WOL – it allows for those days!!!

@carolannfud – well done on your 36 hour fluid fast only – sounds like it suited you too. Enjoy Brisbane and especially your g’sons birthday! I find that I go for a controlled 16:8 day πŸ˜‡ post a FD as otherwise I find it is very easy to over eat too……

@mixnmatch – Wow 8 & 1/2 stones lost is amazing – that is what I weigh currently!! Well done for staying within your maintenance level πŸ’ƒhappy dance for you!

@barata – have a lovely holiday on the Gold Coast. Re Kefir – I put my grains in some milk (around 150mls) covered with a bit of muslim in the fridge for up to two weeks, strain it on my return and put the grains in fresh milk and leave it out on the counter and hey presto I’m back to my usual kefir production. I have also put strained kefir grains in a freezer bag and frozen it – thawed it out in fresh milk to get it going – it seems to take a couple of fermentation in fresh milk to get it back to a good quality kefir drink – hope this helps?

Still having problems with that left knee – it got a bit better but seems to be giving me more pain again. I did see a specialist knee physiotherapist 2 & 1/2 weeks ago and I’m due to see her again in a couple of weeks so will keep persevering. I am keeping fairly active but just cannot cope with high fell hiking at the moment!

I’ll be going down south at the end of the month again to see my friend who was diagnosed with cancer a while back, surgery was not an option in the end and she is due to start chemotherapy next week I think – trying to keep her motivated and offering what support I can from this far away…….

Have not heard from @purple Vegie Eater @pollypenny or @hermajtomomi on the forum for a while – hope you are all keeping well and enjoying life.

β€œLIFE is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to DANCE in the RAIN”

Hi, everyone. I’m in the USA at the moment and not finding my meals very easy to organise. I did hit my 129lbs top last week, then back again.

Fed up of walking on eggs with daughter-in-law! πŸ˜” Definitely need my glass of wine at night.

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

What would happen if you stopped, Pol? (The eggshells, not the wine). Just interested…

Carol and Baraja — its odd, how often conversation on here mirrors, almost to the day, what’s being said and thought in our house. DH and I have each had a ‘creep’ patch recently – now happily resolved after a couple of 3xFD weeks, but a bit puzzling at the time. . We’d come to the conclusion that we need to do a FD – or at least a ‘mini’ – the day after feast day, otherwise feast day re-sets appetite not in a good way, so doesn’t end with one day, but sort of infects the days until the next FD – meaning we can sometimes end up with 3 or even 4 feast days, 2 fasts and only 1 or 2 sensible NFDs! Now that we’ve worked that one out, all that remains is to stick to it! Can’t decide yet whether to reschedule FDs with that in mind (DH takes change of day as a personal affront, so not ideal) or do a ‘mini’ as an extra, which he can join or not as he wishes.
    Perhaps the Headspace app could be persuaded to offer a ‘mindful eating’ pack…

Enjoy your hols, all you on your travels. Cold and wet here – but parbfor the course as schools finished last Friday, so still time for a change..

Exactly right Fast, that’s just what happened to me – I met a friend for lunch the dat after FD and although not hungry and thought I had made a healthy choice realise it was still too much of a feast and set the tone for the rest of the week.

Polly so sorry about the egg shells. I struck gold with both my DIL’s . We go and stay with both of them and never have any issues. I’m very careful about what I do and how I do it as its their home not mine and maybe they grumble a lot to my sons 😊 But as far as I know they don’t mind having me around. I try and make myself as useful as I can!

Fast, you’re so right about creep. OH is now banned from wearing ordinary tee-shirts and is back to polo shirts only, or normal shirts. I was so proud of him losing that beer belly. We will get back to using Mimi’s recipes and proper FDs when home.

Our problem with daughter-in- law is one if distance, really. And I can understand. As they live in the USA it’s never a case of a short visit. But actually, she used to be lovely, until they wanted us to stated for two months to look after the first baby when she went back to work – lousy maternity leaves. She eclectic him to sleep and eat by the book! I didn’t interfere, but by god it was hard. I also felt that she expected us to clear off as soon as she came home. We weren’t asked for number two, just assumed we’d come. They had a shock to find we’d booked a trip to Vietnam! We did come for a month, though. Like most mothers, she was more relaxed with the second baby.

She’s a high-flier and can be a bit like that outside work, too. Anyway, she’s off to a horse show for three days now – peace! Phew! I’ve vented a bit! I don’t tell RL friends how awkward she is.

Anyway, I’m ticking over at around 126-8. Easy here as I don’t enjoy the food.

I don’t think I’d better dance in this rain! It’s chucking it down. Change from the 85 degrees! 😁

Pol.

Thanks, all. We are really looking forward to the break – and the warmer weather. We always treat ourselves to a week in the tropics during the winter. Last time it was Fiji, our first time there, and we have been twice to Rarotonga, where my mother was born and g-grandparents are buried, so a bit of a pilgrimage.

I have DILs from both ends of the spectrum – one selfish, a bit mentally disturbed, uses anger to control family members, and one lovely, hardworking and welcoming.

Fasting news – I am now at 44 hours into a liquid-only, calorie-free fast, and today has been a piece of cake πŸ™‚ No hunger, no other symptoms, I suppose I just carry on? I have no idea how long it will be, except that Air NZ provides nice meals and by Saturday I will be on holiday. Will keep you posted, now off to cook for the tribe. And I won’t even be tempted to taste πŸ™‚ Halo radiant!

Hi Barata,

I’m 37 hours into a liquid only fast. I can’t claim it’s calorie free though. However, Jason Fung says you can drink up to six cups of coffee while fasting, ideally black, but a tablespoon of milk/cream is OK. So I’m not stressing about a dsp milk and two tbsp kefir during the day. The results will be the same.

I’m going to beak at lunch because I’ve got some tasty things in the fridge πŸ˜€ I’m going to Dad’s at the weekend, so might do another 24 hour fast the day I travel. He’s such a feeder, I’ll need to be light in advance!

Enjoy your trip. I’ve got a week walking in the Lake District later in August. On my doorstep, and not so exotic as your trip! But I know I’ll end the week fitter, leaner and totally de-stressed…whatever the weather πŸŒ‚β˜‚οΈβ˜”οΈπŸ’¦

Snap, then Happy. I have decided to end the fast with a couple of boiled eggs for lunch tomorrow. It will have been about 64 hours. And I will have milk in my coffee tomorrow, have been totally abstentious but prefer the flavour of it with milk. I was sorely tempted with dinner, had made too much so there were left-overs calling me. They are in the fridge for step-grandson’s lunch now. πŸ™‚

It’s so great to know I can do multi-day fasts whenever I wish. I AM in control !!

Happy and Barata, can I ask why you are doing such drastic fasts? Yes,,you are in control – not sure I could do it,,but won’t it make you lose more weight?

Barata,,your trip to Fiji sounds lovely. Enjoy.

Wow Barata and Happy, you are champions! So inspiring!

I started off heavy this week so will need to do a 16/8 sometime this week to counteract.

All the holidays sound lovely. I’m still trying to find a dog sitter before we go to Brisbane next week. We have an elderly golden retriever and usually get someone to stay in the house but having great trouble this time.

Polly, RL friends?? Does that mean real life? I am real Polly lol!

Oh, Carol, that’s funny! I don’t like my real name, anyway – it’s what my daughter in law calls ‘perky’ as she has a similar one. We knew that the boys would have good solid names. As I’m sure you know, there are some very daft names in America! πŸ˜€

Hi Polly,

I don’t think what I’m doing is particularly drastic! A lot of people don’t eat on a fast day, rather than have 500 calories (which is the 5:2 weight loss ‘diet’).

At some point I want to start doing slightly longer fasts, as I understand that health benefits are maximised by three day fasts.
    However in the short-term my reasons are more pragmatic! Recently, I’d been finding that a 24 hour fast with a 500-800 calorie meal just left me ravenous in the following days, constantly craving and never full. And I was consistently over my upper limit of 60kg.
    Last week’s lower calorie fast had the opposite effect, hunger reduced, smaller portions, no craving. So I’m repeating it. I’ve just broken my fast with mackerel, mushy garlic and lemon courgette, and feta. Delicious, and more so for being my first meal since Sunday night.

Thanks, Happy. So is that how you maintain your weight – eating normally most of the time, with strong fasts between? I’m assuming that you’re not wanting or needing to lose any weight now.

Hi Polly,

Well I wasn’t happy seeing over 60 on the scales, but I’m still a size 8, and my original goal had been 63kg, so it’s not the end of the world.
    I was less happy with the constantly hungry non-fast days (and the fact that there was no link to sugar or simple carbs). The change in fasting habits appears to have resolved it and been a far better reset on hunger and portion control. And I’m back under 60, so all good πŸ˜€

And no, I don’t think I can claim this is how I normally maintain my weight, it hasn’t been, but it might be in future!

Viewing 50 posts - 9,201 through 9,250 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.