The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,901 through 8,950 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi Igorek
    Effectively, basic 5:2 involves only eating 1/4 of your normal healthy daily food requirement (your TDEE) in 36 hours. That is, eg, from dinner one night, say Sunday, until breakfast 36 hours later, Tuesday. The 400-500 calories can be spread out, but most people find waiting as long as possible, just drinking water or black tea/coffee is easier. Once you eat anything, it is much harder to stop. Eating low carb, low calorie foods on fast days allows more bulk and seems to make it easier. Soup or leafy salad as opposed to cheesy toast. Maximum quantity and very satiating. Carbs simply make you hungry.
    Remember, it is only two days a week.
    All the best.
    PVE

Polly, as you realise, Australia is enormous compared with Britain. There are wide ranges of climate types. Here in Sydney, our temperatures can range from about 3 degC to 40 degC during the year, but usually between 15 and 28. This morning it is 14 and feels just cool, whereas Monday it was 15 in the middle of the day and I felt SO cold compared to the much warmer days that had preceded.
    I find the combination of less fat cover and fasting significantly effects my body temperature. It is easier to put up with heat waves, but, once my core body temperature drops on cold days, I really suffer. More layers is the answer.
    We went to a viewing of ‘Denial’ last night. Very well done, even though I don’t like Timothy Spall. Certainly worth catching.
    P

PVE, the Sydney Weather sounds like it here. It’s the shock of the change, I think, especially in the Spring when a lovely warm day raises our hopes – before they’re dashed again.

Ignorek, it’s so hard if you eat with the kids! I think you’ll have to resist those cheesy, buttery treats! Good luck!

I had a light lunch yesterday, although it was a goats cheese tart, it was small, with cardboard pastry which I left, and salad. It was good fun, though and a good send off for our friend who’s returning to the USA.

Quiche or eggy tarts with salad, or burgers work well by leaving the pastry or bun and eating the rest. You don’t appear to be fussy, but manage to avoid excess carbs.

Hello PVE

So sorry to be a pain, but, I think I am a bit confused. This is what I do.

1. On Tuesday, I eat normally and at 4pm (Tuesday) I have a normal meal with my kids. I then don’t eat anything until the evening, nothing in the night, nothing the following morning or lunch. The first meal I have is early dinner with kids at 4pm on the following day, Wednesday. This means that I have 24h with no food, only tea, coffee and occasional milk before bed.

In the past, I did the normal routine i.e. 7am till 7am. It definitely worked, but, I failed in a longer run because I just felt too busy and disorganised around kids’ meals and have end up eating with them. I find this regime is great, but, if you go above your 500 calories, it won’t work – this is my experience.

This is why I want to try out the new regime 4pm – 4pm. This means that I miss the fasting window of the previous night that I would have on the traditional regime, the 7am-7am one.

Has any of you know anyone who has done it? Have you lost any weight? I am worried that 4pm-4pm isn’t long enough? What do you think? I will give it a go, but it would be good to know if anyone else had any experience with the afternoon regime.

Best

Morning P,

And back to the Marmite vs Vegemite argument…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4380968/How-Marmite

According to Wikipedia, the base version of Vegemite doesn’t contain B12…

😁

Happy, Marmite was the number one seller in Australia until the govt seconded it all for the troups in WW11 and the population at home switched to Vegemite. I don’t give a s**** how much Vit B is in it. I have it for the salt!!! Kraft, who made Vegemite, were taken over by a US company years ago. I think they were bought back, but I still need my regular Vegemite hit no matter who owns it. 😊😊😊P

Re your regime, Igorek, work out a system that gives you 36 hours with only 1/4 TDEE, no matter when you have it. What you are doing currently doesn’t sound like 5:2.
    Have you read The Fast Fiet book? PVE

Well P, I’m pleased I can now defend my Marmite habit on the basis that I’m warding off dementia… I just hope when I’m in my dotage I can still remember to eat some every day!

Or remember why you like it! 😁😁

@igorek,

If the one meal you have on Wednesday is 1/4 TDEE then no problems, you have done a fast. If the meal is a lot bigger than that then you haven’t really done a fast, all you’ve done is delayed your normal food intake and eaten it in one sitting rather than 3 meals.

Example: You have your last normal meal on Tuesday. On Wednesday you have 1/4 TDEE. This can be as one meal or broken up over the day. On Thursday you resume normal eating. You have just done one fast day.

Thank you everyone. I think I get it now. Basically, you can have 500 cal over 36hours AND not 24hours.

I think I got confused with the 24/36 hour distinction.

Thank you!

Hi Igorek, welcome. I think the received wisdom is that having children can definitely make you fat. Contrary to received wisdom, it’s not pregnancy that does it, but finishing up their uneaten food which is ‘too good to waste’ shame, but true! Good luck with kicking the habit πŸ™‚πŸ˜‡

Absolutely! And by the time you finish off their calorific tea … there is no point with carrying on! Anyhow, I will have a go again at the Fast Diet. Such a shame I can’t do it with my 4pm-4pm routine! I did think it was too good to be true!

Hi BigBooty

Thank you for explaining this to me!!!

How many spoonful of chocolate pudding can you wolf between table and bin – or should it be, can you resist – will be crucial!

No it’s the crusts, and the cold fish fingers….just try telling yourself how unappetisiing they really are!

Igorek, you could do 4pm to 4pm but then it would be best to wait for more food til the next morning. I break my fast usually about 6pm and then nothing again til the next day. If you could do it then have a go. Some fasters break the fast about 6 and then don’t eat again til late morning the next day. It’s a matter of trial and error, what works for you and what you’re going to be able to stick to.

Best maintenance week so far! Although I’ve varied by a a pound up and down on my every other day weigh, my recording day shows exactly the same weight.

Going to dive the the shower now, before my birthday treat facial. Out for yet another meal with the rugby lot tonight – a new Turkish restaurant.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Well done Polly, especially with all your recent celebrations! 😊

Is it your birthday yet?

Hi, Carol, birthday is not until Easter Sunday, but we will be away, of course. Seems like il. E celebrating for a month! The facial, complete with massage, was bliss!

Pol. 😊😊

Ah Polly, I’ve not had a proper pampering session for ages…but I’ve been thinking if I can’t treat myself for my birthday (Easter Saturday πŸ˜€) when can I!?@

I hope the Turkish restaurant is good. My favourite cuisine is Mediterranean/ middle eastern. You’ve now set me off on a quest for mezze ideas! Good to get re-inspired every now and again.

I’ve done two fast days this week, penance for some poor non-fast days lately… I’m back in my maintenance range, but no wriggle room…yet. I think sometimes I have to see a bit over on the scales repeatedly to get my act together!

Hello All

@igorek – some great advice given to you here already – stick to this WOL and you will gain all sorts of health benefits as well as losing weight – If I could do it so can you – am now in my 5th month of maintenance!

@purple Vegie Eater – I find drinking lots of hot water in the winter months helps keep me warm on my FD ☺️

@happynow – you made me smile about remembering to eat your marmite – I’m definitely a vegemite girl myself and my daughter born in the UK has followed me in this as well ………another Easter birthday girl I see!

@pollypenny – Glad to see that you are starting the birthday celebrations early and why not – I’m jealous facial and a massage too then a Turkish meal – Yum!

Lovely weekend to look forward too – day out with OH tomorrow – brunch to break my fast and then playing at being tourists! A ballet on Sunday afternoon, live telecast from the Bolshoi “A Hero of our Time”
    “The story based on the larger-than-life hero Pechorin – disillusioned and careless, he inflicts pain upon himself and the women around him. The ballet is adapted from Mikhail Lermontov’s literary masterpiece in three separate stories recounting his heartbreaking betrayals. Is Pechorin a real hero? Or is he a man like any other?”

I’m still doing my 2 x FDs each week and maintaining below the 55kg mark – today has been a FD and has gone really well so far – dinner was homemade lentil with spinach soup (very low calorie!)

β€œLosing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Staying overweight is hard. Choose your hard.”

Hi, happy and AT. the Turkish restaurant was excellent. Some of the portions were huge, especially a flat bread with mince chosen by a friend who eats very little. I had halloumi, then imam bayildi- I was heavenly! I didn’t eat the rice, though.

AT, enjoy your weekend, these live relays from the are fantastic, aren’t they. We loved Madam Butterfly last week. Is it a big birthday for you? Enjoy it, anyway.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Thank you everyone for your comments of encouragement! I am so so happy that I’ve joined this forum! I feel I can do this knowing I am not on my own! I felt a bit guilty bc. I am quite lucky in a sense that … I am 66kg which means I am not big – but – I grew up with a family where everyone is overweight. I know how difficult it is to loose weight; I know how being overweight can destroy you life. SO – I don’t want it to happen to me. It was always easy for me to loose weight, I know – unfair, but things have changed since having three children. The baby-weight just want go! No matter what I do OR TRY! Someone up there ‘UP’ is talking about maintaining 55kg! Fantastic! My goal is to be 60kg, my pre-babies weight, when I felt well, full of energy and optimism. I know, this was 10years ago – but, I am going to give it a go!

I know that with your support, I can do it! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You’ll do it Igrek
    Most of us on this thread were slim when younger and gradually gained as the years advanced. Also many of us have “under 60” as our healthy weight…we call our top healthy weight our “trigger weight”…the warning to take any gains seriously 😊😊
    I’ve been bouncing around under 60 now for 3 years. As Happy says, maintenance is yoyo dieting with a smaller yoyo range 😊
    All the best P

Thank you!!!! I will share any success!

Hi, all. A quick check-in before we leave for our holiday. I’m still maintaining well at 127lbs. The bad news is that OH has put on 6lbs over the last month. He will not weigh regularly and has fallen into breaking his fast at 1pm with a sandwich!

He blames his gain on ‘we are not dieting properly.’ There’s no damn ‘we’ about it! Not happy.😑

Be in touch in early May. Keep it up, y’all. ( sorry, you know I love the USA!)

Pol πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Have a great holiday Polly!

Sorry to hear OH is back-sliding….

Have a great hol, Pol – and don’t fret about OH: I’ve learned the hard way that with men and kids you can’t do it for them!

Have a great holiday Polly…
    And remember. ..you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead! ☺☺P

PVE, thats brilliant! I’m wondering if we will loads of Aussies on this tour, like last year. They were great company, especially Ray, with his daily morning bulletin and joke. He gave out little koala key rings to favoured people. We were honoured to receive one.

Thanks, all, for your good wishes.

Pol. Xx

We Aussies like to look on the sunny side of life…something to do with our climate πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Happy Birthday Happy and Polly πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΈπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

I’m posting now as we may be out of reach of internet over Easter. Hope you have a lovely day, week or month of celebrations.

Cheers, Bay

Hello

Had a brilliant Pilates workshop this morning – Getting Back to Basics – spent a wonderful 3hrs with a small group of like minded women under the guidance of our great teacher – then 4 of us had lunch together catching up – very relaxing.

@pollypenny – amazing how big the portions can be in some restaurants – I rarely clear my plate these days and I only have 2 course now but I used to be able to polish off 3 course no problem…….no wonder I had gained so much weight – NEVER going back there again! Had a lovely weekend and such beautiful weather too.
    Not my birthday but was thinking about you and @happynow
    As others have said don’t fret about your OH – he will have to learn for himself that maybe that daily sandwich is not the best thing for him……
    Have a great holiday πŸ₯‚
    @igorek – never thought I would get back to 55kg but I did and am staying just below around 54.5kg on average – this WOL works and allows me to have a bit of evreything I fancy but not every day and not in such large quantities as before…….I agree with others have said “that maintenance is yoyo dieting with a smaller yoyo range”

On Monday I heard that a really good friend of mine has just been diagnosed with cancer and her prognosis is not good – the saddest part is that I now live 5.5hrs drive away and I made the most difficult phone call to her on Tuesday – a very close mutual friend had rang me at my friend’s request to tell me the news as she felt unable to call herself………I just so wish I lived closer………..the three of us are such close friends; we met through our work 25+ years ago and have remained good friends since. I moved up to Cumbria 3 years ago but we keep in touch and visit as much as we can……..I was planning on going down south for a visit to celebrate the other friend’s birthday so we will still do this but maybe in a less extravagant way all depending on how she is feeling with the treatment she is about to start undergoing.

“LIFE is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to DANCE in the RAIN”

AT,

I’m sorry to hear about your friend. In the modern digital world it’s so easy to keep in touch, but it’s just not the same as popping round to see someone.

Re: Pilates. Why did you choose that instead of something like yoga? I ask because I think once my back settles this time I need to work on core strength, flexibility, muscle balance. I had thought yoga, but presumably Pilates would achieve similar?

Well, I’ve fasted twice this week, and been rewarded by NO movement on the scales! So I’m still over my trigger weight. Grrr. No mindless HCB and egg eating for me this weekend! I’m wondering if there’s anywhere in town where I can purchase a single HCB. OH doesn’t like them and I don’t really want to have to eat four myself 😁

So sorry to hear your saf news AY. The tyranny of distance can be so hard.

Shame we aren’t close Happy. I overheard a radio debate on the best way to eat HCBs, started salivating, and bought 2 dozen. πŸ˜‘ We’ve eaten 2 each for breakfast and one for afternoon tea…warm with butter dripping out! I haven’t had them for at least 4 years and thought s***f it, this year I will. I was hoping to share the rest with the family, but they bought some too! No choice, they will have to be broken apart and frozen “for Ron”.
    I’m sure the scales will wake up to themselves in the next few days and give you a pleasant surprise. ☺P

There’s a good supply of HCBs in house now – half a dozen from the supermarket, and the local bakery was having the second six for half price so of course OH bought – a dozen. I don’t think the three-times supermarket price for the bakery items were worth it, but I’m sure OH and son (when he arrives off the ferry from the South Island with a new vehicle πŸ™ ) will deal with them. I have had one of each, buttered and warmed in the MW. P, you felt you had to put asterisk in ‘stuff’? Not responsible for the scales in the morning, que sera sera.

Hermaj, any update on the home transition?

I think you might have a few moments of good weather, Bay, now that the cyclone has whipped south. I heard it passing at 3.37am.

Barata, in the past, on some threads, I’ve noticed the folk “over there” are sensitive about direct languageπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ I’d hate to be seen as a crude colonial! P 😊😊

What can we say, P? We are what we are. And it is ‘English’, after all πŸ™‚

Oh, just a glimpse of a nearly full moon between the clouds.

‘night, all.

Don’t worry about this one ‘over here’ , P- write what you like. Brought up sons, worked in parishes, prisons, refuges – heard it (and probably used it!) all!

This thread is wonderfully accepting of difference, isn’t it Fast?
    The moon isn’t quite up yet here, B, but shone in all night last night. Sleep well. P
    “Oooooowwwwwwwwww”

Now that, I do find scary’ – too many childhood fairy stories have left me with an abiding phobia of wolves, which no amount of fantastic wildlife documentaries can shift. Perhaps Golden wedding anniv trip next year should be some sort of ‘walking with wolves’ experience…?

When it comes, happy Easter, everyone. And good fasting next week’

Just me howling at the moon Fast 🌚
    Happy Easter for Sunday P

P I’m sure no one here would be offended by ‘stuff it’, although perhaps Hermaj… πŸ˜‰ And to be honest, if anyone was offended I’d probably tell them where they could stick it πŸ˜€

I’ve just been looking at HCB recipes, with the thought that I could make a small quantity. Paul Hollywood’s recipe uses 1 egg and makes 15! So 1/8 ish of an egg for 2… not sure that’s going to work ☹️

And yes, happy Easter all 🐰πŸ₯š

For those who don’t know me that well and genuinely think I might, due to my great age and lack of sense of humour, be offended by rudery, like Fast, I’ve heard, and in my case frequently used, it all.

I’m proud to say that although I have few vices – don’t smoke, don’t drink, don’t eat junk (HCBs do NOT qualify as junk!!), don’t watch crap telly, I could swear – quite creatively – for England, indeed for Europe. I know a lot of very naughty words in French, Spanish, German and Italian – part of the job spec after all. It’s actually very interesting to study what constitutes obscenity in different cultures. e.g. Spanish is a blend of blasphemy and bodily functions.

I’m afraid I’ve been in trouble on the forum – not on this civilised thread, I hasten to add – and have had to retire hurt from a couple of threads, not for using “inappropriate” language but for being too honest. Hardly surprisingly, our Antipodean mates haven’t been at all bothered – although one who doesn’t post on this thread stopped talking to me, having told me how offensive I was – likewise, enlightened Brits like Happy and Fast have always been there rooting for me.

Barata, thanks for asking. Things are progressing slowly but surely. We’ve had a satisfactory survey on Haggis Gap and hence have secured the equity release we were asking for. After a few days of wondering whether buyer number 3 was about to do a runner like his two predecessors, it seems he is, in the estate agent’s words, “committed to the purchase” but was reluctant to start doing all the legal stuff in earnest until he had confirmation in writing that he had been granted a mortgage.

Right now, I’m in the midst of the mega pre-move cull of 30+ years-worth of accumulated junk, while also trying to earn a few more pennies. I’m translating a seminar paper for a rather lovely Spanish professor of Art History, for whom I’ve worked before. It’s great when a happy client comes back. It’s about relics and reliquaries in 16th-century Latin America – right out of my comfort zone but a great workout for the ageing brain.

Hope our Kiwi friends are all doing well despite Cyclone Cook – thinking of you

Lovely walk this morning with my usual Friday group – although overcast no rain to speak of during the walk – lovely catch up over a cup of tea afterwards. Although this afternoon my knee is a bit stiff and achy – small price to pay for such a lovely hilly walk!

I got my kefir grains delivered on Wednesday PM and started my first batch of that evening – drank some this afternoon – very nice taste but not as thick as the shop bought one – second batch is fermenting currently – any advice?

@happynow – My friend is recovering today from her biopsy yesterday – I spoke to her this afternoon, she is a bit sore but doing OK – You are right I just want to be able to give here a hug.
    I do both Pilates and Yoga and enjoy both! You might find this link interesting reading
    Yoga vs pilates | Life and style | The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com β€Ί Lifestyle β€Ί Health & wellbeing

@purple Vegie Eater – as you say at times like this distance is a real pain and btw nothing you said could be construed as offensive πŸ˜‡

@hermajtomomi – good to hear that the house issue is moving slowly but surely in the right direction

For those who celebrate Easter – have a joyful time with your family and friends – for those of us who don’t have a mindful weekend and make the most of each day and don’t forget to be awesome!

Awesome’s good AT. I’ll plan some today 😊😊
    The kefir will thicken up a bit more. It is better to make the first batches with smaller quantities of milk…Share it into two small jars to give it more room. Really good quality, full cream milk (I use Jersey milk) gives a richer result.
    The temperature of your kitchen will also vary the results. Like homemade bread, every batch is different.

Your Haggis Gap progress sounds good Herm. And what an adventure deciding what to keep and what to cull. 😊😊P

Hi AT,

Thanks for the link. That suggests I should be looking at Pilates for my back, not yoga.

Re: kefir. It’s very early days for you. It took mine maybe 5 goes to get a consistent product. And I did experiment with a few different milks, finally settling on yeo valley (based on flavour and consistent results). I’m on a 24 hour cycle, probably a tbsp or so now in 300 + mls of milk. It’s a thick pouring not a spoon-thick consistency. I guess it depends on how you like it! So long as you keep the grains alive you can play around to find what you like best.

Hermaj,

Good to hear it’s all progressing. It is a lot to do, esp while working. It will be worth it though. We haven’t lived in one place for 30 years, but even moving after 10 we were griping at one another (who’s bloody stupid idea was it to take up a carpet and put it in the loft, only to fight with it 10 years on to get it down and into a skip…?!). I can imagine some choice language in your abode during times of stress 😁

I didn’t think of it as an adventure, P, but you are absolutely right.

Already, I’ve come across a whole load of paperwork, leaflets, guidebooks, maps etc., all relating to our first visit to the USA – Boston, New England, New York City – in Autumn 2000 – very poignant, with images of the Twin Towers. There is also similar stuff from various European cities. It’s amazing the memories it all conjures up.

Then there are theatre programmes and exhibition catalogues. It’s so hard to decide what to chuck and what to keep, although I’m incluined to hang on to the art-related stuff, just in case it might come in useful one day for the day job.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,901 through 8,950 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.