The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,451 through 8,500 (of 11,673 total)

• Hello

I must have been having a bit of brain freeze last night – I actually left Melbourne in 1981!!!!!!! Did the Aussie thing of taking time out to travel – spent time travelling around Europe using the good old Eurail Pass – had a blast. We ended up in London when Charles and Diana were getting married – I remember this as I chose to do some Agency Nursing on that day for a lot of money. We never made it back to Oz to live………..

Physio assessment this morning – although it had started to feel better! The Physiotherapist thought I had a small tear in the cartilage in my knee!!! “Meniscal tear” – she did some manipulations, applied ice and laser treatment – taped up the knee and gave me an exercise regime to strengthen the supporting structures of the knee, such as the quadriceps and hamstring muscles. Told me to avoid twisting motions with the knee, apparently the tape will let me know if I’m doing any twisting as it will pull!!!!!

FD today and weigh in tomorrow instead of my usual Friday FD and weigh in on Saturday – taking the OH out for a posh dinner tomorrow night, this was part of his xmas present! Looking forward to it and will probably extend my FD until then.

Hope Australia Day was celebrated and enjoyed – been reading about the demonstrations around Australia as reported over here – a bit sad.

β€œLosing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Staying overweight is hard. Choose your hard.”

Morning everyone. We’re on duty with GDS2 today, as he has a bad cold. Still very lively, though! He wanted to go to play even though it’s raining, do he should have gone to the crΓ¨che really.

We found a shop called Nordstrom Rack yesterday. I expect you know it, chubster. I tried on a couple of dresses, bargain prices but unfortunately they were too short.

We’re just ticking over on 16:8 at the moment. Back to routine when we get home next Tuesday.

Hope the exercises work on you knee, AT.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

Sorry to hear about your knee AT. I had a similar injury 4 years ago, with the tape too. Very attractive, especially as mine was in summer! It takes a long time, at least 3 months, so be patient and kind to your knee and it should strengthen and heal. Being lighter is definitely a bonus! P

So frustrating to be hampered by injuries AT, hope yours heals quickly. Loved your saying…..’choose your hard’.

Im familiar with nordstrums rack Polly, can’t remember if I’ve ever bought anything there though. I have the same issue with dresses – too short. I’m tallish but pear shaped and length is important, especially as I’m no spring chicken any more πŸ˜„πŸ”

I go home tomorrow and I’m ready! Kids were shocking last night. End of the first week of school and there were major meltdowns!!(and it wasn’t just the kids lol). lot of rain last night which makes it very steamy, so that to cope with as well. And then next week I’ll be complaining because it’s too quiet!

Carol, you made me laugh! Yes, I’m too ancient for short dresses and now I have wrinkly knees instead of fat ones!

Grandson 2 was home with us yesterday, with a cold. Unfortunately he perked up as soon as his dad and brother left and was damn hard work most of the day. Thank god he still has a nap. He’s three, with a huge vocabulary, but has difficulty with the letters R and L, both sounding like W. Coupled with his American accent, means I don’t always understand him and he gets frustrated, then kicks off!

No wonder I’ve had a glass of wine every night! I’ve put on 2lbs, but I’m glad of that, since I went 6lbs under target.

It’s lovely to see them all, but I’ll be glad to get home on Tuesday.

Ah, grankids. Love ’em, but great to hand them back! 😊😊

Well my knees have never been lovely! I’m a sturdy pear. At BMI 20ish, I reckon I’m perhaps 19 on top and 21 below. But my knees never were, and just aren’t, and never will be, pretty delicate knees. I really have got big bones, I’m wide πŸ™

I did wear mini skirts with long boots in my rock chick phase (30 years ago, despite fat knees πŸ˜€), and got away with it because of youth! Now, anything above the knee is accompanied by leggings.

It’s a funny question though, weight loss or not, what is age appropriate clothing?!

Polly, great to hear you’ve managed to stop losing weight! You’ll clearly just have to stay there πŸ˜€

Happy – age appropriate clothing is whatever you enjoy and look good in – i.e. Whatever makes Happy happy!! And for the life you lead, and the work youndo, strong and solid is good – no fragile flower would cope!

Well….
    I’m wearing a lovely frock today to go out. Linen with satin lining, which is far too steamy for our humid weather. Mr P suggested I keep it for cooler weather and wear it with stockings. I said I don’t wear stockings, I’d look middle aged. His retort, with a grin, “That young?”
    Huh!!! P

Nice one, Mr P! Your dress sounds lovely, PVE! We can get away eith more if wearing opaque tights, though. A friend and I turned up almost identically dressed for our U3A Christmas quiz – knee length cord skirts, navy, with navy tights and a pale blue cotton sweater. Like a lair if teenagers who’d conducted each other! She’s 75.

Sam has been just a good boy today, up until bedtime. Now his dad is in charge!

Pol. 🍷

Had a lovely meal out with the OH on Friday – even enjoyed a glass of bubbly and a couple of small glasses of wine with the meal.

The weekend has been good and I have been mindful weight remains slightly below my target weight, 2 months since reaching target – so happy with that!

Thanks for the encouragement re my knee @purple Vegie Eater and @carolannfud – so glad that I am now 2 1/2stone lighter………

Love to hear about all your grandchildren, none here as yet – daughter is 28y.o. and has no desire for children!!!!! Having said that I am in no hurry to being a grandma ……..LOL

Planning a FD tomorrow to see me to the end of the month

Enjoying a second glass of sauvignon blanc after a light dinner and feeling very chilled………

Skyr, people: good (high protein, all usual benefits of live yoghurt, low calorie, no sugar) or bad (low fat)?? This and Greek, both in my fridge, both delicious!

Hi Fast,

I’ve not tried Skyr. I guess low fat in moderation won’t kill you!

I see Kkyr is produced by Arla, the guys who make a number of lactose-free products. I see this one isn’t lactose-free but it sounds good and I’m sure I could manage it in moderation.

You’ve lost me completely girls. I googled kkry and get a country music radio station in Texarkana! ????? πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

My fault, P. Another typo. I’m getting worse and worse. I think I need a secretary.
    Maybe I’m also a little dim-witted. Surely if Skyr is naturally low-fat and isn’t that way because it’s been messed with, i.e. skimmed or whatever, surely its limited fat content isn’t a problem?

Hi P,

Skyr is an Icelandic yoghurt-like fat free dairy product… apparently.

Thanks.
    Normally the situation with low fat dairy can be from 2 perspectives Herm. By removing fat it relatively increases the percentage of lactose, so gives a higher insulin spike than full fat (as well as not being as satiating).
    The other is that most commercial low fat products have added sugar to give them taste. All purely academic for you intolerants. 😊
    I’ll check out Skyr. I learn (and forget) something every day! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ P

PS I’ve just googled Skyr and it is made from skim milk now. Traditionally it was full milk. It sounds very like the kefir I make (with full cream milk). I presume you could get the curds and make your own from somewhere?.

Herm, don’t mention typos! My last post is full of them! You probably needed translators. Anyway, were home and will be back to normal eating tomorrow – OH wants a Indian curry tonight, which should be good.

I’m going to catch up on some rubbish TV to try to last the day out and get back on to GMT.

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

Welcome home Polly 😊

Happy landings, Pol. Hope you enjoyed the curry. It’s about time we went back to the outstandingly good, but fairly cheap, Indian restaurant ten minutes walk from home. It’s one of the things we shall miss when we move to Cambridge, but one thing that lovely city ain’t short of is good, inexpensive restaurants of all sorts, not least Indian. It so happens we are buying our new home from an Indian family. I’m sure they will be able to recommend somewhere a bit special.

Mr P won’t eat Indian and we now have 2 Indian families and a Sri Lankan family surrounding us. The aromas at dinnertime are amazing. ☺P

Hi Purple, Ive decided I’m going to start making my own kefir. I recall you saying you bought your grains online. I’ve done a search and come up with an Aussie site kefir shop.com.au that sells them. I’m just a little apprehensive because they don’t include their location or a phone number, the only way of contact is via email. It’s not much money so I probably shouldn’t worry but I just wondered if you remember what site you bought yours from? They’ve just put the price of a 1kg bottle of kefir up to $11.89 at my local supermarket 😳

I’d been thinking about doing it for ages and the price hike has made my mind up for me!

Hermaj! You’ve had an offer accepted? Have you got another buyer for your place? Tell all!

Can I join in?

Love the 5:2; it gives me the discipline I need. Have reached goal (took about 3 months at a steady pace).

Now looking for inspiration to keep it off – as I said I love the discipline of the 5:2, but how do I keep the discipline now that I feel so much better and happy with my body. There is food all around and friends and family who love to sabotage.

ps. I love Skyr – just discovered it. Great texture and taste; it feels like dessert with blueberries and seeds. Hate ‘chocolate’ desserts made with anything other than real chocolate!

Hi Happy,

Thanks for asking. The answer is yes, and yes! I’m over the moon. It’s all happened quite quickly. Our offer was accepted a week ago today and we finally accepted the best of several offers on our place yesterday.

Not sure how soon it will be before we move, but it shouldn’t be too long as all the paperwork for the sale of our flat was dealt with before the first buyer dropped out. Quite coincidentally, the house is only a mile away from the Tosser’s Number One Son’s school. He won’t be there much longer as he’ll be off to uni in September, but meanwhile, like the good kid he is, he’s offered to help us move in (handy to have a 6-footer around when you’re only 5ft 1in and Hismaj is 5ft 8 in).

I had no idea you previously lived in Huntingdon. What took you to Cumbria, apart from the fact it’s such a beautiful area? And then AT used to live in Bury St. Edmunds. It would be great if you could each tell us about things to see and do in and around both places, which are an easy run from Cambridge. We do have National Trust membership.

Urgh! I’ve just replied to Herm, on the over 60s thread. 😳 . I read all the posts on my email, then opened Safari. Twit , as I am. Anyway, that great news about the house, Herm. Hope all goes well.

Back on my own scales, I am 128.5. That’s after all the rubbish eaten in the airport, as well as over-indulgence on that Sauvignon Blanc lavishly poured on the plane. I was 9st 3 for years – before moving both house and school and no longer using stairs. That’s when I had to start watching weight – or not, as it crept up later.

Welcome, mountain writer. An intriguing name! Where are you? And do you love writing, too? I’m a member of a U3A writing group, just for fun.

Well, I’d better move myself. Still on American East coast time. It’s 11.30, been up an hour and put some washing in. Still slobbing in dressing gown though.

Pol. πŸ’πŸΌ

Hi Pol,
    Very,very weird. The email telling me you had posted quoted you as saying you had replied to me on the “over 70s” thread, where as here it says “over 60s”. Didn’t know either of them existed.

I confess I qualify for either or both of those, but hesitate to shout about being 70+ in case people start sending me ads for stair-lifts and funeral plans and other goodies that gets peddled to people as young as 50. Don’t worry, I’m not about to go off on one of my anti-ageist rants.

128.5 sounds pretty damn good to me. Well done!! I’m still 19 lbs heavier than you but having once been a ginormous 187 it’s still a reason to be (fairly) cheerful. BTW today is my 4th 5:2 anniversary.

Happy anniversary hermaj! 4 years is fantastic! πŸ’πŸ’

Welcome, Mountain writer – congratulations!

Welcome home, Pollypenny, and well done – spot on at the end of a (so called) ‘holiday’ = superhuman!

And happy anniversary, Herm – and don’t worry, it’s when people in shops star calling you ‘darling’ and offering to put your card in the reader for you that you know they’ve worked out the 70+. And congrats on both perseverance and achievement against the (genes, steroid) odds

Again, I wish there was a great thanks option on these posts! My 70s was a typo, no surprise there, eh? The Over 60s thread us good, with some lovely contributors.

First time I’ve been called ‘superhuman’, fast! Actually it was fairly easy as I don’t like much of the food in the States. A starter and a salad usually does me. 5:2 has re-educated me from desserts and fries.

Herm it’s stories like yours which makes this thread and keeps me going.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Ah, but they already do, Fast. Plus the shouting, on the assumption I’m deaf, and speaking very slowly on the assumption that I’m daft. Doesn’t help being only 5’1″. The infantilisation is automatic.

And do you know who the worst offenders are? Women!! Women somewhere between 35 and 50-ish. They think it makes them seem “caring”. I confess I’ve told quite a few of them where to get off (refraining from strong language in case it’s interpreted as a symptom of senile dementia) and have even made formal complaints to Human Resources departments, which seem to have an effect, albeit a temporary one. I have been sorely tempted on several occasions to say “I may look like someone who cleans toilets for a living but I’ve got an effing Master’s degree, awarded less than three years ago. So watch it!!”

Sorry, mates. As you will see I have an anti-ageist bee in my bonnet.

Perhaps the move away from the Metropolis will mellow you…..? (Don’t hold your breath, folks….)

Welcome Mountain Writer! Maintenance is the interesting part of weight loss, as you seem to have identified! Not quite the same thrill of dropping down the scale, but a wonderful sense of satisfaction knowing you are in control.
    My OH and I have been on 5:2 for almost 4 years. It took us 1 year to reach goal and we haven’t looked back. We have changed our diets significantly, dropping most white carbs and increasing our range of veg and fish. We eat full cream milk products and usually skip breakfast. We still try to fast every Monday and Thursday. Routine seems to help.
    Tell us more about yourself and your 5:2 journey. Cheers P 😊😊

Well done on the real estate front Herm. I hope it goes through smoothly. Congratulations on your 4 year anniversary. What a champ!!

Carol, Mr P bought our kefir grains about 3 years ago and can’t remember which site! If you send me an email via JJ, the forum admin, I could organise to send you some. P 😊😊

Hi folks:
    finally – 15 months on – told last night by consultant surgeon that I’m all mended and good to go. It’s been a long haul, and I’m pathetically grateful – celebrated today with tapas for breakfast!! Now I have to spend the spring rebuilding strength and stamina after 2 ops in 5 months – and getting shot of 3lbs of tummy which I’ve acquired through post-op sitting around..

so……looking ahead…..Lent starts on March 1st…

.I shall also do some improving reading – I’m not entirely egocentric and shallow, just somewhat – but is anyone on for a repeat of the Lent challenge this year? (For the recent joiners, the last 2 years some of us have supported one another in a shared challenge to give up all added sugar (i.e. Any not naturally occurring, so fruit fine, bikkies etc not!) through Lent – which conveniently comes just when even the best of us may have slipped into bad habits after Christmas, and lasts exactly the right length of time to reset back to better ones!)

Anyone game?? You have a month to think about it…..

Fantastic news, Fast. You’ve been through the wringer and come out the other end.You’ll be muscle building next!!! πŸ˜‰
    I won’t be joining you on the challenge, though I wish you well, as I’m not a sweet tooth and have been cruising at the lower end of my wriggle room. I don’t want to upset the applecart. P 😊

And anyone else in U.K. just watched Michael mosely on TVs re kefir? For SH mates, experimented with 3 groups: one on commercial yakult type drinks, one on inulin rich diet, one on kefir, analysing gut bacteria before and after. As we would expect, kefir won!!

Of course. Anecdotal evidence from our house, and several friends, backs him up 😊😊

Thanks, P. Glad to know you’re cruising – I need to get back there. I restarted pilates and wrinklie-aerobics yesterday (bit naughty, since I wasn’t seeing Sir till the evening, but I went gently, doing everything at lowest level) and am back to walking everywhere. I’ll step it up a bit next week; that, plus watching the carbs, should sort it.
    I do rather feel 2016 passed in a horrible haze on every level, personal as well as political: I am looking forward to a bit of challenging self care this spring and summer.
    I thought of you as I watched MM and the kefir!

Welcome Mountain Winter – now the second part of your challenge begins – maintenance! It’s a great feeling to be a maintainer though and you’ll find plenty of support, information and advice on this forum to help you along the way. We all slip up at times and that’s part of maintenance, but the support on this forum will ensure your slip ups are minor and temporary!

Fast, so pleased to read your health is getting back on track! Some control back in your life 😊.
    I’m thinking about the Lent challenge but not sure if I’ve got anything to give up. Finally got my hands on Jason Fungs Obesity Code and read it this week (not every single word I must confess). At first I felt a bit depressed reading it but when I finally got to the ‘what to eat’ section I realised everything I’m doing is right.
    The only thing I needed to change was to drop snacking. I do a bit of healthy snacking on my non FD but has really been instilled into my brain now that every time we eat we have a release of insulin and it’s important to keep those to a minimum. I’ve only been following that for the past 4 days but alrady see results.
    When I’m snacking I weigh between 58.5 and 59(trigger). Without the snacking this week I have been between 58 and 58.5. It’s not much and the weight is really unimportant at this stage but I think the insulin releases affect me.

Hermaj, so many of your comments really crack me up! I would love to meet you! I have this image in my head now conjured up by your description of yourself and others feedback, would be lovely to test it lol

Purple that is such a generous offer, thankyou. I didn’t actually realise we could contact admin, so will figure out how you do that.

Polly, I’m with you – sincerely wish we had a thanks button on here!!!

I’ve met Herm several times…she is a powerhouse!!! 😊😊😊P

Sounds as if the no-sugar challenge may have become redundant – what an achievement for us all from where (some of us) were 2 years ago!
    Perhaps we should substitute a’non-snacking’ challenge? Would apply to more of us, and for the sugar tempted it would probably cover both – I suspect most sugar goes down in mindless snacks, rather than at mindful mealtimes!

Hi, everyone, fast beat to posting about the kefir on Trust Me I’m a Doctor. Although there’s not much chance of getting it in north Wales, I think it’ll be worth us getting guts in best shape before we go to Thailand in April.

Yes, maintenance is a different challenge – but very satisfying! I was concerned as I was still losing, but I suppose I’d set my target too high. Snacking has never been a problem for me. I’m not a picker and don’t like crisps and biscuits. Portion sizes were our downfall!

Grumpy Old Women, eith lunch today. I’ll have a light one, which is pretty substantial, anyway. I imagine a certain orange person with stupid hair will be a topic! 😜😝

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

Fast, the no snacking challenge would def be that for me and I’m willing to give it a go.

You’re on, Carolann (and anyone else who wants to join in) – no snacking or mindless picking between 1st March and Easter. Only proper food, mindfully chosen, allowed – which should be easy as in theory it’s now default setting for us all, but an occasional reset is called for, I find.

Is wine allowed, girls/ladies? Oops, are we all girls,,albeit of a certain age?

Six Nations starting on Saturday within Ireland v Scotland and we are playing Italy on Sunday. I’ve given up Guinness, but I will need some lubrication. Any other rugby fans?
    PolπŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰

Wine isn’t a snack. …it’s a beverage 😊😊😊

Hi All,

Busy thread!

Hermaj, I’ll have to think about the highlights of Cambridgeshire and get back to you.

Fast, great news on your return to good health and normality. I’m definitely up for a no snacking Lent!

Polly, did you have to mention the orange one with the offensive hair? I now have a mental image of his even more offensive face and am at risk of bringing my tea up ☹️

And yes, I’m a rugby fan! I’ve been practicing Cwm Rhondda on the piano in preparation πŸ˜€ My OH is English though sadly ☹️

Re: Trust me I’m a Doctor. I only caught the end, but luckily that was the kefir bit. The following link explains for those who missed it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38800977

Re: wine. It’s a fermented grape drink. Your gut will thank you for it πŸ˜€

Viewing 50 posts - 8,451 through 8,500 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.