The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,701 through 7,750 (of 11,673 total)

• Yes. If Im cooking for the family and its my fast day I find myself washing my hands every time I get a bit of food on them rather than just licking them clean.

I don’t because I used to cook commercially. Excellent training for preparing food for others on fast days. 😊P

Hi, everyone. I don’t lick my fingers either.

Partly thanks to the tummy upset my husband has now lost 3st. Very pleased with himself and looking good, especially when our lovely neighbour called him ‘streamlined’. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ pushing language there!

I had small meals over the weekend and Monday, a generous Carte D’Or ice cream and a bottle of wine over two days. Just put on 3/4 lb. looks like I need to make my target around 9.7.

Hope the weather has improved for you, Carol. And the rest of you down under are enjoying the sun.

Pol. πŸ˜€

Streamlined sounds terrific Polly. Poty he had to be sick to get there.
    We are still experiencing yp and diwn temperatures, but it means varying between salads and cooked meals. Nice.
    Baked salmon tonight (bought frozen at IKEA in one of our 2 trips across the city to 2 different stores today!) P

Hi, everyone. It’s been quiet this week. How are you all doing?

My weight has varied madly all week, weighing every other day. After my unwanted loss last week, I obviously eased up too much and put on four pounds. Lost them and now lost another 3. I think I just have to record my Friday key day.

Yea, gods, it’s hard to be stable.

Hi Polly, stability isn’t hard to manage once you have worked out your formula! I weigh every day and record it. If there is an unusual fluctuation I write a note or two about what I ate.

Monday tofriday I hardly change much, might be 100g lighter one day and 200g heavier the next, but the main thing is the variance is small.

On the weekend it’s a different matter and Monday’s weight can be 1kg higher! I allow myself a kg of wriggle room and most FD I am at trigger point, sometimes above but it all goes after FD.

It’s interesting how our bodies work though, wish I could understand more!
    During the week I eat pretty much the same sort of breakfast, lunch, tea. It’s not the same thing every day but I choose from a range of things that don’t change much.

Tuesday I went out for tea. I had a small bread roll, one and a half glasses of champagne and a roast meal – no weight gain. Last night I went out again, had 2 glasses of champagne, two potato skins filled with something and a plate with bread and dips – this morning above trigger!

So I’m trying to figure out what was the difference between the two meals that put the weight on?

This maintenance keeps us entertained Polly lol! πŸ˜„

Sounds to me as though what is happening with you is normal fluctuations. I’d suggest weighting everyday and just recording it and you will soon see there is a pattern.

I’m pretty similar to you Carolann, my weight is frequently exactly the same for several days…then spikes Sunday/ Monday. This week I shot up 2kg thanks to a roast dinner, and then a leftover reheat the next night….Nice to have a break from cooking duty, but OH’s cooking is not good for my weight! I fasted yesterday which dropped 1kg, and hopefully I can be back safely in my maintenance range by the end of the week.

Hi Polly and Carol – my routine is similar to Carol’s, with a daily weighing -except that I’m not organised enough to record it! – and broadly comparable results. The daily weigh is important for me, as it informs my eating for the day – FDs are FDs, but non-FDs can vary between lax and light, guided by that early ritual of the scales.

I’ve formed a theory that an indulgence actually takes 2 days to show on the scales – I’ve learned not to assume I’ve away with it if it doesn’t register the next day. So do you think it might have been your first meal out that put on the weight, Carol ? Or perhaps the weight gods forgive us one cheaty day, but not two on the trot? For me, fluctuations also seem to reflect temperature, activity levels, how much I drink /sweat / excrete, ( interestingly, my scales show body fat percentage and water content swinging in inverse proportion to one another like an old couple in a weather house!) and – especially – carb intake. Refined carbs are a ‘blue moon event’ in my diet, sugar less rare but not frequent; either shows up immediately.

Stability is a lifelong aspiration I reckon, Polly – but the important thing to be thankful for is that we – including you! – now have the tools to cope with the fluctuation, and redress the indulgences. That makes it all worthwhile.

Ps and hi, Happy, too – we crossed!

Thanks, both. Looks like this variation is pretty normal then. I’m out for lunch, well a meeting with lunch tomorrow and then a meal in the night. Coincidentally, very bad timing.

I will have to make some careful choices and probably have to fast all weekend.

Polly,

I’ve got a long sociable weekend coming up, but luckily OH is away next week so it should be super easy to fast it off again. Maintenance is often just yoyoing within a narrow range, but a lb or two can be easily explained by extra food in transit after a big meal, extra water if you’ve over-carbed, etc..

Hi Fast!

Hi all
    I’m with you on the above. 😊
    I agree, it takes a couple of days to effect the scales. Not to go into details, but is that the result of the increased carbs slowing ‘transit time’.
    I’ve had a hand operation this week, so having to eat other people’s food. So far, despite a significant increase in carbs and reduction in veg, I’m only up a little and still well within wriggle room.
    Time will tell long term 😊😊
    Luckily, I’m good at left hand texting. P

Ha ha. We crossed Happy 😊

Obviously a recycled teeenager, P. Hope you heal easily and soon.

That hand op sounds unpleasant Purple! Hope the change in diet isn’t too hard to cope with. 😞

Fast, I think you’re right – for me anyway. I can handle one naughty meal but not two in a row.

A very light eating day today in recompense so will see what the scales say tomorrow.

My OH is away Happy which makes it easy to eat light😊.

If you make careful choices at your lunch Polly you may find you don’t need to fast all weekend – that sounds far too hard lol!

Hi P, I hope the surgery went well.

Hmm, other people’s food… Do they do requests?! Could be a long few weeks otherwise!

Thanks girls. I’m pleased with the progress so far.
    It staggered me how the only food the hospital had on offer, after me fasting 22 hours and post op, was raisin toast! I never eat the stuff. Good grief! Oh, and the first drink in 5 hours was impossible to pick up, with my right hand in plaster and a cannula in the bend of the other arm. Don’t you love healthcare!!
    I need to take control of the menus. And give orders πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ P

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Purple!

Oh, you poor thing, PVE. Hope things are improving for you now.

I like the idea of yo-yoing within a narrow range, Happy. I did say I was going to be happy with a range, 9.7 – 9.10, but having lost more then put more on unnerved me a bit.

The lunch is a U3A Grumpy Old Women session, where we discuss and vent on a variety of subjects. The ‘light’ lunch I had last time was huge, so I’m contemplating nibbles if they’re not crisps or such rubbish. And I’ve pre-ordered tonight’s meal, with sensible choices.

Are you enjoying some lovely Spring weather down under by now? A misty-moiety morning here in North Wales.

Very late spring still Polly, but as I can’t get my arm wet for 10 days, I don’t want heat.
    Thursday fast over. Nice salad. Yum!!
    Enjoy your grumpy old women….speaking of them, why hasn’t Hermaj come on to rail against the discussion re Teresa May’s short skirts and women over 60 not wearing them? I do. We all should to battle against these clothing “rules”!! P

Polly, what a fantastic idea for a U3A group! Must see if I can instigate one of those here – though DH would doubtless say I could be one all by myself …

P, the Guardian has a ‘short’ today on the cut-off age for wearing jeans. Verdict: 53. Stuff that!

Well put, Fast!!! 😁

More than willing to rail when required, P. Truth is, I’ve haven’t seen the story. If you’ll bear with me, I’ll check it out now and get back to you.

Having checked, loath as I am to applaud anything the Mayflower says or does, I say good on her for wearing short/split skirts and her general stylishness. Her policies might not be great, but she’s got a great pair of pins and she’s quite right to flaunt them. As for the Grauniad (explanation for our non-UK buddies, the Guardian is often thus referred to because of its talent for misprints) I couldn’t put it better than Fast does. Actually, I could but I’d probably get thrown off the forum.

While I agree that such things as very, very short skirts (aka pussy pelmets) look daft on anyone beyond their teens, especially if they have billiard-table legs, wear what you look and feel good in, bugger the DoB!! Unless, of course, you feel that at 50-something you should start to fit the stereotype as portrayed by the media and develop a taste for beige crimplene and old-biddy pastels to go with your pensioner perm and blue rinse (see image below)then, of course, you should be free to do so, but not before you’ve had a good think.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26654759
    For the record, I only started to wear jeans a couple of years back. Sadly, although I’ve very slowly but surely lost close on 20% (19 point something)of my starting weight, I’m still apple-shaped with a waist that doesn’t measure a whole lot less than my now slim(ish) hips. Thankfully, M&S introduced some slim-leg denim jeggings with an elasticated waist (how old biddy is that!) which of course remains covered. Nor can I go sleeveless – exposing my bingo wings would amount to a crime against humanity.

And that photo, herm, is a libel against over 70s who are still trying – it might join my ‘horrible warning’ collection on the fridge door.
    Never mind the bingo wings – . I bet you look fan-b-tastic in your jeggings!

What is most disturbing about the photo, Fast, is that it represents the popular perception of people of 55+, at least as peddled by the news media. However, there seems to have been a gratifying shift in the world of advertising and many of the ads targeting our cohort feature men and women who are seriously fit – in every sense of the word πŸ™‚ – and stylishly dressed and coiffed, although there is still a tendency to sit poor old souls on stairlifts. Just because a person has mobility issues doesn’t have to mean s/he has succumbed to terminal frumpishness.

Interestingly, though, a very dear Scottish friend of mine (early 50s and drop-dead gorgeous) who has lived in London for decades tells me that in her home town an awful lot of women over 50 look just like these old dears. Fortunately her equally gorgeous 70-something mum isn’t among them.

I actually thought, at first glance, that it was my mum and her cronies – then realised that the one member of the group who looks like a superbly groomed, colour conscious, stylish art teacher was missing, so it couldn’t be. The rest of them look exactly like this – and what makes me sad is that they feel they have to. Mum succumbed to elasticated crimplene long before she got too ill to notice – fair enough for comfort, i suppose, but beige??! She is shaped like a short cottage loaf, but has always had a waist (albeit a big one!), had jet black hair and dark eyes (the hair is now white) and the most beautiful skin and facial bone structure. She could look stunning, and over the years I’ve bought her stuff – usually in her preferred style and ,fabric, so as not to frighten her too much – in glorious jewel colours of crimson, royal blue, navy….every single time they’ve been taken back and exchanged for beige, as ‘more serviceable’ – ( tr. ‘inconspicuous’!!)

Ah well, you and I will go out disgracefully! For any other over 70 maintainers who don’t already know it, Ari Seth Chen’s Advanced Style blog is an inspiration.

Cohen, not Chen, for anyone minded to Google…

And m and s are completely out of jeggings – of whatever colour – in my size. Bum

Bum, indeed. Isn’t it always the way. though!

One problem for those of us who do not want to “go gentle into that good night”, is the shortage of role models, at least among people we know in our everyday lives. Like the women in the photo, like the people whose idea of heaven is to go down to the day centre for a nice game of bingo, or to sit all day in front of the telly munching custard creams. I can’t say for certain, but I suspect that at least some of our male counterparts may suffer from this same lack of positive role models among their immediate acquaintances.

Certainly, I find women worth emulating in the world of the creative arts, like the late, great PD James, or Glenda Jackson who at 80 has just returned to the theatre to play King Lear, or the painter Georgia O’Keefe who continued to paint into her 90s despite macular degeneration. And Ari Seth Cohen is certainly worth listening to, although at a stocky five-feet-one I would have to cherry-pick carefully among the stunning images she and her colleagues present.

As a male example of oldies still in there pitching, BBC4 recently showed a great documentary about four retired professors of astronomy now in their 80s, who had known each other since they were post-grads in their 20s. They were still great friends and were still actively engaging with the subject for which their passion endured. Sadly, one of them died soon after the film was made but we were told he continued to work almost to the day of his death.

While sympathising with my situation the same Scottish friend mentioned in my earlier post hit the nail on the head when she suggested that maybe my job was to BE the role model, to show younger people that when you pass certain milestones you don’t simply morph into a daft old bat who dresses like a bag lady and ceases to believe she has anything interesting to contribute.

To encourage me, my friend revealed that there was no way her son and daughter (who is also our god-daughter)would ever regard me as a daft old bat. In fact, they regale friends and family with tales of this “amazing woman” (their words, not mine)who went back to uni, who still works at a mind-bending job and who helped our god-daughter to get a better degree than she had ever hoped for through tutorials that were sometimes pretty hairy for both of us as her area of study took me right out of my comfort zone. To be fair, her diligence and total commitment to her work also had a lot to do with it.

I understand my two great-nephews feel the same, so maybe by just being me I’m managing to fly the flag for all of us bright slightly-older things. So let’s continue to be disgraceful and never, ever sink into beige crimplene.

Fast, are you in U3A, too? We have two groups of women and to of men. Great fun. We discussed the Poppy wearing in football controversy today.

For lunch I had cream of cauliflower soup. It was a small portion! Resisted the offer of chips, so I can enjoy my meal tonight with a clear conscience.

On the subject of clothes for we older ones, I’m in jeans now. Proud to wear skinny ones, too. My 87 year old neighbour is my role model. She is brilliant, lively and well dressed without being frumpy. Did you all notice that there were a lot of dresses in a fabric very much like crimplene this summer? Ugh!

How wonderful to have such a lovely role model, Pollypenny. We live in a conversion, a Victorian house turned into three flats. One neighbour, early 60s, has exquisite taste, both in clothes and interior design, not to mention men. She has an extremely dishy and charming partner of similar vintage. The other, not much older and certainly a lot younger than me, could easily join the women on the bench in the Beeb photo.

And yes, I have noticed the frump revival. I guess if you’re young and slender you can wear such stuff as a fashion statement, while the more mature among us just look, well – frumpy.

And floral print, Polly – much of it very pretty indeed, but not my style, I’m afraid. I’m a plain colours, interesting geometric shapes and skinny jeans girl – frills, print and florals make me look like a drag queen – which would be great if I were one, but I’m not. My concession to age and disability has has been to ditch the heels, as my balance is rubbish, but fortunately there are masses of funky flats around at the moment.

Yes, I’m also a u3a wonk: one of the advantages of living in a small town is a thriving branch, with about 30 different groups, covering subjects A-Z. At the moment I’m only part of one – a French book group – but I quite fancy branching out beyond my comfort zone, into maths, or finance, opera or art. There’s also play reading, current affairs, investment, church visits, scrabble, computers and two lots of ramblers – one fast, one slow – plus more to choose from. Add to that some daily exercise, another -non u3a, English – book group, some volunteer stuff and keeping DH upright and functioning, and there need never be an idle day – unless you choose one, which I frequently do, being a physically lazy introvert! But it’s great that the choice is there – and I reckon a Grumpy Old Women/Gits group would be a fantastic addition. Tell me more!

Glad you enjoyed your soup. I’m fasting today; feast day tomorrow – walked home from wrinklie aerobics this morning fantasising about a cheese and pickle sandwich. I shall make it reality tomorrow!

Didn’t take much to get a bite Herm πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

I tried to buy some nice white, loosish, linen pants for summer last week. All of them had elastic waists, even tiny sizes. When I commented to the assistant, she said they were comfortable. I retorted that we don’t all need expandable waists and if you have the figure, why not flaunt it. She replied that not everyone can be thin. I then explained the effort I had put in to loose 28-30kg and maintain it. I left the shop saying, “Actually, everyone can!” …still without the elusive pants. πŸ˜‘ P

Oo lovely. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Great to wake up in a far away city to your wonderful conversation. What a group and what a gas πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Having worn a coral coloured size 10 top and coral sandals out to birthday dinner last night at a colourful Indian restaurant, I’m right with you. OH celebrated the biggie yesterday. Between us the total is staggering. Best thing, I believe we are two stylishly and colourfully dressed opinionated old people. I cannot imagine ageing anything other than disgracefully!

Beige doesn’t suit my skin colour and never has. πŸŽ‰πŸ’ƒ πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I agree I can get away with one indulgent day, then I have to be careful. Through a week of festivities, so far no nett weight gained. For each festive occasion, the rest of the day or the next day becomes a very lean eating day. From recording food eaten and weight each day, I can see that I have lost the elusive 3 kg over the last two months just by being careful.

Love your chats, keep it up. Off to walk and have a coffee. Then more walking. Slow day today, then the last big joint celebration Saturday afternoon with extended family and friends. πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ·πŸ·

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

I think that’s just the nature of those sort of pants, P. Elastic waists and even elastic around the ankles to create the baggy effect. I have some which I wore a lot on our recent trip to Spain, so much lighter and cooler than jeans in 35 degrees.

Also it could be that they are designed to wear over your cozzie on the way to the beach, with the elastic making them easy to peel off in seconds.

I guess the way to flaunt your figure is to team them with a nice close-fitting top, strapless or with thin straps if your arms can take it – which I know yours can. :).

Fast, I love the idea of you as a drag queen. On whom would you model yourself, Lily Savage, Danny LaRue, Eddie Izzard…? There are moments on bad hair or bad face days when I look like my brother in drag.

PS. Forgot the coral coloured toenail polish. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

We seem to have posted simultaneously, Bay. Great to see you. Bet you looked terrific in coral which seems particularly appropriate for an evening of celebration in an Indian restaurant (thinks – about time we had another curry in our exceptionally good local Indian).

Long may we all continue to be stylish, brightly-coloured, opinionated and utterly disgraceful.

Congratulations Bay and Mr Bay. I agree with most of your description, you are a cool couple, but delete the “old”! That you certainly aren’t! ! Well done on knocking off that 3kg 😊😊
    Herm, I’ve had lots of fitted waist linen pants over the years. Still cool and comfortable (and feel very sexy). I have less than desirable arms, but don’t care. In our hot weather I live in sleeveless numbers. In fact, in summer, I usually get around home in wet swimmers. No covering up. 😊😊
    Smoke in the air from hazard reduction burns. Summer is nigh. P

Ru Paul for preference I think, herm: oh, those eyelashes!

You wonderful ladies are my role models, Hermaj, Purple, Fast, and Happy. 🍷🍷

Joyous and opinionated and grateful to be alive and in good health. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜„πŸ˜„β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ

Having met Hermaj and Purple, may I return the compliments. You are both very good company and stylish intelligent and highly opinionated. While I don’t agree with all that you say, I defend your right to say it. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Cheers, From a very sunny and warm Deep South, Bay β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

PS. Purple, hope the wrist is healing well. β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Ever since I lost the initial 15 kg I have been baring my arms to the World. Shock, horreur! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I love my new summery clothes in three sizes smaller outfits. That is the best part of 5:2 the reshaping of the body into my younger version. Off to walk now. πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Thank you, Bay. That’s the nicest thing anyone has said to me for a long time and I’m honoured to be in such illustrious company of delightfully disgraceful people as Purple, Fast and Happy, who is still young enough to have the time to develop disgracefullness to a fine art.
    Deep South of where, BTW? The US of A?

I’m intrigued, too. The Deep South? We did a tour of the south last summer, New Orleans, Nashville and our favourite, Savannah. Loved it, although we missed a day in New Orleans, thanks to American Airlines.

Well, I I left a ltbird of my risotto tonight. Ate bruschetta starter and small creme brΓ»lΓ©e. Sox moths ago, I’d have solved the lot, including biscuits with creme brΓ»lΓ©e, which I hate.

Thanks Bay. Going well. Even put eye makeup on. Woohoo!

Well! I go out for the evening and come back to a flurry of posts! Lovely to see you all here.

I am a way off U3A, but a few years ago I did do a few talks to U3A in Cambridge on environment topics. I’ve got to say they were a more engaged and challenging group than the university students I’ve talked to!

Polly, I don’t think I’d picked up previously that you were in North Wales. Is that permanent home or holiday? I studied zoology with marine zoology at Bangor many years ago and have fond memories.

Deep South of mainland Australia. Just colourful speech to go with my colourful outfits. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Oh, heck, my typos in my last post makes it look as if I was drunk! 😜🍷🍷
    I’m vegetarian, so didn’t have a bird in my risotto and I meant that I’d never have left food six months ago! No moths or socks involved!

Well, my ‘correct weigh day’ has shown just a pound under target, so fine. Suggests I might have got the balance right.

I live in North Wales, Happy. Flintshire, just off the beautiful Clwydian Range. Bangor uni is a major centre for marine biology, isn’t it? Glad you liked Bangor, aye! πŸ˜€
    Have a good weekend, everyone.

Tell me about it, Pollypenny. I’m the world’s worst typist and the universe’s worst proofreader. And since I gave up the ciggies 16 years ago I don’t drink, (without the baccy wine, G&T etc.,taste revolting) so I can’t use the hard stuff as an excuse. So yoou aire not allone. πŸ™‚

Our nice neigbour with excellent taste mentioned in my post yesterday is also from North Wales, Colwyn Bay, in fact, and I’m pretty sure she went to Bangor Uni. She’s also bi-lingual in Welsh and English.

Morning,

Well after a long weekend away, with a meal out, celebration cake, and two days with Dad (a born feeder!), I’m pleased to say my Monday morning weight is no higher than most Mondays. I avoided breakfast, no longer prepared to give in to pressure from others to eat when I’m not hungry! And stopped eating when I was full.

I think I will fast today, as planned, although now because I want to rather than because I need to πŸ˜€

Viewing 50 posts - 7,701 through 7,750 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.