The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,351 through 7,400 (of 11,673 total)

• Lovely to hear from you both, but PLEASE don’t joke about La Leadson: once the decision goes out to the wider vote, anything can happen – vide the whole Brexit farrago. I’ve always said I couldn’t kiss a Tory, let alone be one – but if I weren’t already signed up elsewhere, I’d even consider joining, just to have a mini- voice. I keep thinking I might wake up, to find the referendum was a bad dream and the sun is shining…only entertainment available is laying bets with mates as to truth of the latest conspiracy theory: that the Gove/Johnson stuff was mutually agreed, in the knowledge that Gove couldn’t possibly win, so that neither of them would have to clear up the mess they’d made – swiftly followed by Dave and Nige…Rings true? Like burglars who s**t on your duvet and don’t stick around to do the laundry…

Fast, I know, you couldn’t make it up! I have found myself hoping that May wins (I’d say lesser of two evils, but that’s not true!), but OH is leaning towards Leadsom…on the basis that a really incompetent Tory government is in the national interest… πŸ˜€Hmmm, could be Β£25 well spent if it got rid of the blight….?!

Careful, Happy, I seem to remember getting ourselves into trouble before by careless talk. But he might be right…

I think it was a case of laughing rather than weeping, Fast. I love your incontinent burglar metaphor. Just about sums them up.

Like you, Happy, I too hope that May wins. At least she’s been at the sharp end and held senior office.

What worries me most is the fact that we don’t have a viable opposition. Surely we’re not going to end up as a one party state. Then there’s Trump the Transatlantic Tosser to worry about in November. The world is not a happy place…

Agreed – my conclusion, too. So the answer is to join whichever party you think stands a cat’s chance of becoming a viable opposition, in time to influence any decisions that party might need to take. (Which party that might be, I just can’t tell, and wouldn’t presume to suggest, but doing something – anything! – might just beat (nearly said ‘trump’) sitting waiting for the dark to descend….).

My concern is that the self promoters who rise to the top – whichever party – and whatever level – are generally more interested in themselves than the rest of us. I attended a talk by a county councillor a couple of years ago, where he freely admitted that his primary concern upon being elected was how to get re-elected next time. That doesn’t speak to me of someone who has strong convictions and a desire to better the lot of his constituents… Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely…

Fast, I fear the dark will descend, whether we act or not.

Morning /evening girls. The political commentary is coming thick and fast. I see the problem as the whole world lurching radically to the right, while we sensible old hippies thought we had already saved the world. 😯
    Similar issues here with no clear winner, a week after our Federal election, and a rise in the looney right. The future is not looking bright…
    Now where is that left over mulled wine…🍷🍷 P

P, I’d say it’s a bit early to be drinking…but it’s quarter to twelve here, so you could just claim to be on UK time… If Scotlanf did leave would we be just ‘Kingdom’ ?!

Love the sound of your ‘country change’ hermaj! We travelled a bit around Cambridge when we there in UK and loved it!

Too lazy to get out of bed to find the bottle Happy πŸ˜‰
    I agree Carol. The area around Cambridge is gorgeous. A glamorous Herm (new hair and glasses, even tinier) will be an excellent addition to the scholars up there.☺

Hermaj

What a great time ahead for you both. Have fun looking for a new place near Cambridge. 🌺🌺. It is so beautiful and what I think of as typical lovely English scenery.

I’m writing from a sunny and warm and showery Oahu North Shore. Beautiful golden sands with coconut palms waving in the breeze. β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ·πŸ·. Now having beer and shrimps. It’s a tough life.
    Sorry Happy, but you do make me laugh. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Cheers, Bay

Oh dear,

I didn’t explain it properly. Moving to Cambridge? I wish!

For a long time I tried to persuade Him Indoors that a move to Cambridge would be great. All the usual reasons, more space for us and to put visitors up in comfort,a garden after 35+ years in a flat with no external access, proximity to BOTH our families, no nosy, noisy, smelly neighbours in the same building, we can have cats again – the list goes on. Not to mention the fact that it’s a beautiful city with the countryside close to hand – like on the city’s edge – with plenty of “culcha” but at less than London prices, but still dead easy to get to London.

Screaming matches, toys thrown out of pram, why bother to move? what’s wrong with our present flat anyway? Even suggestions that I was mentally deranged to want to move. Men, what are they like!

Always one ready to compromise, I very gently suggested a move to somewhere within a five-mile radius of our present home. For all the above reasons. Immediate agreement. For me the priority was getting out of here and I suppose he may have had a point. House-hunting somewhere 80 miles away isn’t easy.
    So we will be only a matter of another 20-25 minutes further out, with a bit more greenery of our own.

Love it Herm! And you ARE well known for your comprising skills πŸ˜‰ Him Indoors doesn’t know how lucky he is. ☺☺ P

Slowly, slowly, catchee, Herm. You know how easily 5 can become 10…20…40…80…Remember all those wiles we modern women so despise? Think on’t!

Sweet of you to say so, P. Now, as and when we do move and you are in this neck of the woods, you and Mr P can come and visit us (as can any other among you cyber-buddies) and you can tell the Old Bugger how lucky he is. πŸ™‚

You are so right, Fast. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey. Catchee enraged gorilla isn’t always quite so easy. πŸ™‚

We have our ways to win over the ‘old blokes’, Herm πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Sitting by the fire, mulled wine in hand, after a very pleasant evening in the city at an art show, we both realised we hadn’t quite made 10000 steps. The solution? I ran on the spot for 1 minute. He walked around the house, refusing to rush himself, for 4 minutes. We are all different 😊😊

Enraged gorilla might be more fun, once he’s calmed down?? C’mon, you’ve been together long enough to have developed negotiation techniques – of which compromise is just one good one…

One of my most effective techniques seems to be to shut up for a while – like as many days as it takes – rather than engage in more toy-throwing. at which I’m ashamed to say I’m also quite skilled. In those few days have a good think and examine my own reasons for wanting any specific solution. It’s what I did this time and (fingers crossed) it seems to have worked and the search has gently begun.

I’m rubbish at womanly wiles, especially of the simpering eyelash-fluttering kind. My 96-year-old m-i-l, aka the Frau Obergrueppenfuehrer, still has enough marbles in place to try that one. with the addition of a little girly voice. If I flutter my eyelashes at a bloke, he’ll just ask me if I have something in my eye.

Precisely. I know you well enough to be certain you have a whole armoury of properly grownup, honest techniques which don’t require eyelash fluttering, baby talk or pink frills. And I know you know how to use them. No honour (or pleasure, eventually) in the dubious tactics of girlies, even for those who – unlike thee or me – can carry them off convincingly! Think ‘win-win’ / ‘board room’ / ‘United Nations’, not ‘Happy birthday, Mr President…..’ !!!

What a discussion! Have fun, Herm. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

We have been having fun today, Bay. The house hunt has been underway for a couple of weeks now. So far we’re ony looking at outside views, checking out the neighbourhood, proximity to shops and public transport. With me being a non-driver this is crucial. We’ve seen several that are well worth a proper look.

Fast, you are a good mate who instinctively knows where I’m coming from. I’ve found honesty to be a double-edged sword, much admired and appreciated by many friends and family members, but also the cause of offence, anger and some very unpleasant bollockings from others including, I’m sad to say, on this very forum. A blessing in disguise, though. It was incidents such of these that had me running for cover which in turn led me to this lovely thread and the grown-up, wise and tolerant posters it attracts.

Hermaj,

I am unfailingly honest too which, as you point out, doesn’t always win friends and influence people! I am learning diplomacy though…slowly… And I do now sometimes think before I speak (the thought process generally going along the lines of ‘I’ve thought it, oh f it, I’ll say it’ πŸ˜€ ) I too don’t use feminine wiles… I understand that some men can be manipulated that way, but I would be diminished and despise myself for it. Men, welcome to the modern world where your delicate outdated ego needs to (wo)man up πŸ˜€

Oh by the way, has anyone heard from Bay lately? I’ve not seen a post from her in ages πŸ˜€

Bay started this flutter of posts Happy. She’s sunning herself in Hawaii. …lucky girl. 😊 P

Hi P, still no sign of Bay then…. Oh well, I guess she’s wet and cold in Aussie winter…. πŸ˜€

Haha, Happy. I get your drift. We swam at Lanakia Beach this morning. White sand, Palm trees, green waters. So lovely. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Off to Newfoundland in two days. Bucket list, don’t ask! Early celebration of a significant milestone later in the year. Making huge Mexican meal for the troops when they show up later.

Cheers, all. Bay πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Oh Bay, a bucket list/ celebration of significant milestone…?! I can see I’m going to have to forgive you for posting from paradise while out ‘summer’ has been wet and in the mid teens only… πŸ™

Hi Happy

I’m sorry about your sad Summer. I’ve been hearing from relatives just how bad it’s been. Sending you some sun and cyber cheer. πŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ·πŸ·β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜•οΈβ˜•οΈβ˜•οΈπŸ–πŸ–πŸπŸ

Great to hear you’re having fun, Hermaj, and looking forward to further descriptions of the search.
    🐈🐈🍁🍁🍏🍏🚜🚜🏞🏞🏘🏘
    Cheers, Bay

Arrrgghhh…wine and latte icons Bay? It’s 5:30 pm Monday (fast day) here!!! πŸ˜•

Hi Purple

It’s still only Sunday here. Well done on another successful fast day to you. I haven’t even tried here. I will fast a few days next week after the family has gone home.

Cheers, Bay πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜¬πŸ˜¬πŸ–πŸ–

Well Bay, a little ocean trout and salad…not ideal in this cold, but it hit the spot πŸ˜‰
    You DO know calories on holidays don’t turn to fat, don’t you? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ P

One small mercy to be grateful for, I guess.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208
    Still doesn’t solve the problem of a viable opposition, even less the that of the dangerous nutter with the weird hair running for US President.

Hermaj,

It’s quite spoiled my fun πŸ˜€

Sadist Happy?
    We are watching the pollies arguing about our election results…and yes, we still have the same PM…just barely. P

Well really, what did she expect?! That everyone would absolutely be absolutely lovely because she’s just a mother who absolutely likes nothing more than cooking Sunday lunch for her really large extended family and all their friends…. Not that she’s saying that other people don’t have friends… Or even that it would even matter if you don’t have friends…. But it’s important that she has lots of children, and siblings, and half siblings, uncles and aunts, Mum’s and dads, and step dads, grannies and grandads, half grandparents, cousins, half cousins, second cousins,…

I just hope she doesn’t abandon Sunday lunch preparation quite so quickly in the face of a little difficulty with the gravy… πŸ˜€

I’m in increasing need of a sick bag. If she thinks a load of maudlin sentimentality was going to win the punters over, well here’s one whose reaction would have been to tell her to (expletive deleted) off.

Tell you what – all this family stuff must be wearing her out. Forgive the bitchery, but she’s not looking that great. I’m old enough to be her mum but sure as hell my face is far less in need of Polyfiller than hers is. Meeow!!

One other point. Irrespective of what La Leadson actually said in the interview, I find it sick-making that the (female) interviewer chose to make the principle that “mums know best” especially when it comes to running the country, the focal point of her article. She is as much to blame as Leadson, maybe even more so, as she perpetuates the myth that if a woman isn’t a mother she’s not a proper person.

Where does that leave all of us who are childfree by choice? Are we inferior beings? Also she shows little sensitivity towards those women who would dearly loved to have kids but can’t – I believe Teresa May is among them.

Right, rant over. Maybe the whole pathetic business can be forgotten.

Well I haven’t read the Times interview in full, but I understand some other highlights included such gems as AL saying she wasn’t a feminist because she’s not anti-men?

If that’s true, then perhaps the journalist thought she was being kind to AL by highlighting her Mumsy credentials instead of her woeful grasp of feminism…. !

I can’t help thinking it’s a case of two well-meaning individuals, who aren’t as clever as they think they are getting, it all wrong and creating a right pig’s ear… Wouldn’t have boded well for a future PM.

On a lighter note, I’ve just heard someone on Beeb radio ask when Teresa May moves in to No 10, who’s going to do the removals and what about the cat?

Having heard part of the recorded interview – R4 yesterday (or maybe this morning, I’ve forgotten already) anyone who still wants it – I strongly suspect AL was set up and walked into it like a little lamb to the proverbial…But such a lack of judgement/wisdom/ability to spot a trap for a heffalump does not seem to characterise a good PM. And that’s without the faux-sweet cruelty or antediluvian attitudes to gender etc.
    And Herm – you know enough about life,the universe and everything to know that it’s not always those who are most contented with their life decisions who go around insisting that everyone should make the same decisions in order to be happy/complete/useful. Something about protesting too much – or desiring equal sharing of misery.. (For the record, and to avoid misunderstanding, I adore all my kids and grandkids, enjoyed my time bringing them up, love my DH dearly and wouldn’t be without any of them; that doesn’t mean I like(d) any of them all the time – or they me, I’m sure – or that there weren’t times when I’d gladly have walked away from the lot of them,nor that i don’t occasionally wonder about the different achievements other choices might have allowed. And I’m pretty certain most honest women with kids would admit to similar thoughts….)

I bet she’s rushing back from Brum right this minute to measure the curtains, Herm. And Grazia did once say that Samantha never did like the kitchen at no 10…

Oh, and PS, if you can move quickly enough, you could put in a bid for Larry Cat

More words of wisdom, Fast. Especially about protesting too much – an art I’ve never mastered, I’m afraid. Not a case of virtue so much as a case of can’t be bothered.
    I have been on the receiving end of that sort of rubbish – like a female doc who should have known better who suggested I seek psychiatric help to make me want a child. Not that I don’t like kids – not all kids, the same as not all adults – but mum material I ain’t. Not a bad auntie, though. You can love them to bits, but you have the comfort of knowing that at some point the buggers will go home.

Am I the only person on the planet who really loathes hot weather? My heart sinks at bright sunshine and temperatures in the 30s. Maybe it’s to do with living in the inner suburbs of a big city. Perhaps it’s the result of having lived on the Med, staying indoors between noon and late afternoon, and observing the sun from a nice shady spot. Or maybe I’m just a miserable old git.

One bonus. Every day is more or less a fast day. I can’t face food before mid-evening, which if my maths are correct (highly unlikely) that’s something like a 20-hour food-free window. I may sometimes exceed 500 cal on FD and certainly on NFDs, but not by that much. There’s only so much you can swallow in a couple of hours, without ending up regreting it.

No, Herm, it’s me too. I love the sunshine – it’s the humidity I hate – but am really picky about acceptable temperature range: 20-25 suits me fine – warm enough to go out coat less and enjoy the warmth, but not stick/sweaty, which I hate. Unfortunately sitting around doing nada (all I can manage – what a wet ) has the opposite effect on me, food wise – I need to keep busy or I’m tempted to snack. (No, rephrase that:I snack.). And my ankles swell, despite weighing 2/3 of what I used to, and my eyes have given up from reading too much. Apart from that, it’s fine. Let’s be grumpy old gigs together!

(Actually I think the real problem at the moment is lack of chance to acclimatise – 15 to 30, and then back to 15, within week, is a strain on the old resilience. And our SH sisters are probably laughing their heads off at the whingeing Poms….)

It’s nice to know I’m not alone, Fast. Hovering round the 20s is fine, even better are the high teens, lightweight jacket weather. And I do like winter sunshine. And I agree about the dramatic temperature changes. Not so many days ago we turned the central heating back on for a day or so.

Bit of good / interesting news: my DD has had some health problems recently which looked a bit scary but have turned out to be (surprise, surprise!) due to B12 deficiency. Relieved that this seems to be all that’s wrong, and she doesn’t seem to have inherited the other neuro problems, but also furious, because they a)knew I have to get mine via a needle, so it was on the cards, and b) kept doing blood tests and telling her results were normal, and – exactly as happened with me – it was only when a neurologist saw them that he pronounced them definitely not normal and insisted on treatment Apart from nearly 9 months of worry, the reluctance to spend pennies on B12 serum has meant the NHS has shelled out for 3 (yes, 3!) MRI scans. How does that make sense? And how can it happen identically to us both? How many others?

But the bit of interest to forumistas is that when we met for coffee last week she told me she had revolutionised her diet, according to neurologist’s instructions. She is curvy, and needs to watch her weight, though no more than a stone or so more than ideal. She’s seen what 5:2 has done for her father and me, but for years has insisted she couldn’t possibly fast, and has been attending / following one of the commercial organisations – nameless but initials WW, spending energy counting ‘points’ , eating low-fat stuff etc etc – you all know the score. Neurologist has now told her: ditch all that – go low carb, no refined carb, healthy full fat, fruit and veg, intermittent fasting (well, I never!) – she’s feeling better, and has lost 4lb in 2 weeks!!! I gave her my prΓ©cis of Jason Fung and she’s gone off all excited to evangelise. I am so relieved!! And hooray that the message seems to be getting to neurology departments!

Hi Fast,

Good to hear there are some enlightened people in conventional medicine practice!

I also find the sudden heat/ humidity impossible to acclimatise to. Luckily I was able to work at home today, as the non-air conditioned office would have been too grim. Still, it was a bit draining by late afternoon. Yesterday I sort of avoided the heat by getting stuck on the M6 for 7 hours, luckily with air conditioning!

After a long weekend away, with something sweet every day, I was pleased to be still in my maintenance range today πŸ˜€ I may fast tomorrow though, as I do like that empty/ thin feeling.

Ha ha Fast! What would mum know? You have to pay an ‘expert’ to know what to do! I’m SO pleased she is on the right track now ☺
    Herm, I think what you describe is a pretty normal reaction to hot weather. I am usually indoors, curtains and blinds closed, until the sun drops on hot days. 23-24 with low humidity is the ideal. When out, I’m always wearing a big hat and ducking from shade to shade. I don’t use airconditioning, so little movement until the cool of evening. Every summer, I think I prefer winter, then the icy winds❄ start biting and I long for summer 🌞
    The sudden changes are very hard to take. We had down near zero last week, then the last couple days have been in the mid 20s, with 13 overnight. We have swealtered under our winter doona.
    The upside was my arthritic joints settled down for a couple of days, only to start aching again as the rain started last night!
    30 deg and humidity is not pleasant anywhere, except by a pool or under a tree at the beach πŸŒ… Make the most of it Herm. At least we are here to whinge about the weather! It beats the alternative. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
    Fasting again today to shift some waist fat. Cheers P

Hi Happy
    We crossed over! You’ve done well going visiting and maintaining. I know your southern host does like to keep you fed. 🍰🍰 (insert cake icons) ☺☺
    I must agree, I will happily do a car run on super hot days to enjoy a bit of aircon. Enjoy your heatwave….your plants will be all running to seed, won’t they? P

That is very consoling, P. I think the problem is that so many Brits are silly about the sun and sensible people like you and me who stay out of the worst of it are considered weird and even a bit unhealthy. You only have to observe my compatriots with the beautiful delicate, pale skin that often goes with very fair or red hair who insist on sitting out in the midday sun turning lobster red and then whingeing as they peel.

Back in the long-long-ago when I was a smoker I used to get very cross at people who berated me for my disgusting unhealthy habit as they sat there toasting their potential melanomas – the m-i-l being a case in point It was only when the doc warned her of the danger she was definitely in that she finally stopped.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,351 through 7,400 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.