starting Monday 5/1/15

This topic contains 739 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by  Pat from SC 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 740 total)

• Hi LittleDragon, I’m fasting today too and looking forward to my pile of roasted veg in the oven right now. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that that pound has gone tomorrow. Tomorrow is my first full week weigh-in and I’m convinced I won’t have lost anything, the first two times I weighed myself I’d lost 5lbs by Sunday,so I figured it can’t be accurate.
    I’ve learned early on that chocolate is bad the day before a fast.

Is this program something I can watch in the US?

Not sure thrivealive, its a our BBC2 Horizon programmer so not sure whether you could access it?

I just worked out that my ‘TDEE’ is 2307 calories… Is that the amount I am supposed to eat on non-fasting days? because that seems like way too much! Also, is it bad to split up your fast days? For example, this week I fasted on Monday and Tuesday and am planning to do the same Friday but next week only do Monday and Thursday…

Hi Lusherx:

No – you eat to your TDEE or less on your non diet days. Number 4 in the following thread explains TDEE.

You can do your diet days whenever you want. Newbies probably should split them up because it is easier than doing back to back days at the start.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

thanks for clarifying simcoeluv! I went a bit overboard with eating today and had over 2,000 but went to the gym and burnt 760. is that okay you you think?

Hi lusherx:

Your TDEE includes your exercise, so it is how much you eat that counts. Just try to stay around or under your TDEE on non diet days, do your diet days correctly, continue for a couple of months and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Hi Folks,
    I love reading everyone’s posts, it is so motivating. As a Scot living in Western Australia, my freckles are multiplying at a huge rate. It has been so hot here the past couple of weeks. One day was 44.4=112 degrees. However I still lost 1 kg for my first week, I am happy with that. I had days where I went over on my non fast days, but it seem to even out over the week.

Do you carry food with you on your fast days? I have been having a protein bar but it didn’t really fill me up. Would be interested to hear what portable foods you have on these days.

Thanks all for sharing and congrats to everyone that’s keeping on keeping on.

Hi Tanned and welcome:

Many of us do not eat anything on our diet days, so carrying food is unnecessary.

Good Luck!

Morning guys, who’s fasting with me today?
    I haven’t managed a fast this week with not being too well but have eaten well under tdee most days so hoping today’s fast will see a bit more weight lost by tomorrow when I weigh in.

Have a good day all x

Hi Karen, I’m fasting today, my 2nd one of the week. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell! I seem to find my 2nd fast harder to get through, mainly due to lack of energy. Hopefully I’ve planned my meals well enough today so that doesn’t happen.

Hi Lindsey good luck on your fast today, let me know how you go later, we can do this ;-)Some fasts are more difficult than others depending on how busy you are that day or what temptations are put in your way. I’m taking slim soup to work for lunch and have some low cal hot choc and camomile tea in case I feel peckish. Tonight I’m having a mushroom omelette with salad and will probably have a hot choc for supper.

Im fasting today aswell i find it easier for me to get through the day on coffee and water then veg soup and an apple for dinner this works for me because i dont feel hungry until i eat so prefer to wait until dinner. Good luck fasting today ans remember its just one day you can wat what you like tomorrow x

I’m fasting today, although have a feeling its going to be a rough one. I made the mistake of having carbs for dinner last night, and although I didnt go over the top, my stomach is killing me today. Sipping peppermint tea will hopefully help. Good luck everyone with the day, we can do this 😀 I need to get that comfortably empty feeling .. at the moment its not good 🙁 Stupid carbs, just shows you how quickly your body gets used to NOT having many carbs, because when you do … it hurts! Stay strong 🙂

Phew! I was convinced I wasn’t going to lose out of sheer paranoia but first week down and I’ve lost 9lbs with 5:2. I know this rate will slow drasically but it’s good to have a great start off to get the morale going.

I have quite a lot to lose (65lbs+) and I’m approching this WOE strategically with plateaux factored in. I’ve started with no discernable exercise so I can add that in when I hit my first plateau and then increase it and perhaps switch down to 4:3 when the exercise alone is no longer working.
    Does anyone else have a particular strategy in mind? It probably only applies to those with a lot to lose.

I am fasting today – but think I have a cold coming, I will be drinks lots of hot (calorie free) drinks to get me through. 2nd weight in planned for Saturday morning, I really hope I have managed to shift another pound or two.
    Struggling at the moment to do much exercise – the cold London weather is really not helping me. I hope the weather is bright at the weekend as I want to get back to my running. I completed couch to 5K last year and kept it up for some time, I have rather let it all slip over December and January so really need to push myself to get back running 2 or 3 times a week. What motivates you all to get out and do some exercise, please inspire me………..
    Good luck to all Thursday fasters.

Morning all

I fasted yesterday which wasn’t as bad as expected, managed to even go for a diet coke at the pub and wait to eat dinner which was chicken with loads of roasted veggies, corn on the cob and a low calorie hot chocolate for dessert. Pleased that, despite my “monthly friend” which I have found has a lot to answer for weight fluctuations, that I am another pound down as of this morning which means I have lost 5lb after 4 fasts which is very pleasing.

Good luck to the fasters today, you can do it!

Hi all I fasted yesterday and found it ok. The evening was fine which was the time I was worried about. I had a boiled egg and some veggies. I also weighed myself for the first time so I think I will weight myself weekly from now on. Best of luck to all those fasting today.

Hi tannedhaggis I normally just drink water for times when I feel hungry. Normally works in the end 🙂

Sounds like everyone is making great progress! Despite having some ice cream and biscuits yesterday I have only put a pound on. fasting again tomorrow which will be my third day and I am determined to lose at least 3 pounds by Sunday!!

Hello everyone 🙂 hoping I can join your thread. I started on 5th Jan on my 5:2 journey.

So far I’ve lost 10lb after todays sneaky mid week weigh which I know I shouldn’t have done 😉

I was to lose at least 60lb in total so a long way to go yet!

HI Lauren, Well done. That’s fantastic. I have a lot to lose too. Im sure we will both get there! Which days are you fasting?

Hi Lauren1204

Well done! So many people weigh mid-week or even daily so I wouldn’t feel bad about it and if the result has made you happy then all the better.
    I weighed myself this morning and felt so happy I danced around the kitchen to Elvis.Bonus! Weight loss and a bit of exercise too.
    I don’t know when you are fasting but I know a lot of people on here are weighing the day after their second fast(it’s what I’m doing) because if you’ve overindulged over a weekend Monday morning weighing can be a bit demoralising.
    I have to lose at least 65lb to be healthy so you’re not alone on the long journey.

Everyone sounds like they’re dong really well. Monday was a good fast day for me. Didn’t really feel hungry until 4pm and then a mug of Bovril helped me through until dinner. Today was supposed to be a fast day but but I’ve spent all week moving offices and someone brought me homemade carrot cake as a goodbye present from my old office and I have to say I cracked! I hadn’t actually had breakfast yet, so I’m going to try and eat nothing now until teatime. I know it wont be a fast day as such as I’ll be over the calorie limit but at least it might help to minimise them!

I’m fasting Monday and Wednesday, so weighting today made sense then 😉 I’ve done 4 so far and only found yesterday tricky (felt very hungry in the afternoon).

My other half is also on the fast diet and seeing the benefits too.

I think that my ‘ideal’ weight as the doctors put it is unrealistic. I just want to be a size 14 (UK) and I’ll be very happy! Haven’t been that since I was a teenager.

Hi Lauren and Welcome 🙂 10lb wow thats fantastic well done 🙂

Same fast days as me then. I wish my other half was doing this with me but he would waste away. He’s really tall and broad and never puts weight on, even though he eats like a horse. Don’t you just hate him?
    I would love to be a size 14 again, unfortunately my bustline hasn’t allowed that since I WAS 14. However that is my own target(at least for my hips and waist) too.
    Good look and maybe we’ll get there.

Thanks Kirsty 🙂

Mamie, my other half is 6ft4 but weighs in at 20 stone. He carries it well but we both know we need to be healthier if we want to stick around. Quite a few friends have suddenly passed away in the last month and it’s given us a bit of a kick to get started. He also loves cooking and does most nights, although fast nights are now mine 🙂 It helps that we can eat together.

Oh Lauren I’m sorry about your friends but I understand the need to get healthy for you both. It is good that you can eat together, my saving grace is that he works shifts and we only really eat togther on weekends. I make sure I have the calories to eat out and have good meals at the weekends

Did you look at the BBC 2 site with the horizon programme? There are loads of recipes that I want to try on there for my fast days that look really filling and appetising, I might even try to get him to join me and just give him a LOT more(he’s 6ft8,16st).

I watched the programme but haven’t had a look on the website, I will check it our on my lunch hour.

Wow I thought my hub was tall! IT may be worth while trying to convince him. For me I want a healthier lifestyle as well as losing weight, so this diet seems to be a lifestyle I can manage and continue for a long time.

Lots of fantastic weight losses on here well done!
    I’m feeling hungry and cold and a bit sorry for myself, looking forward to my
    Meal later.
    My second weigh in tomorrow so I must be good. After a good start last week I’m hoping to have lost a pound or two, fingers crossed.

I’ll keep mine crossed for you too. I know I found this second lot of fasts harder than the first but I’m hoping they get easier. I was feeling exactly the same yesterday the only thing pushing me through was getting to today’s weigh-in and it paid off, I was 9lbs down.
    Good luck x

Well done Mamie Muse thats fab 🙂 well this is def my hardest fast. I havnt been tempted to eat anything or felt overly hungry but i do have a headache and the weather is awful such strong wind and rain. Trees have been falling on cars its that bad. Had to pick my son up from nursery earlier and we both got soaked and had to fight against the wind the whole way home. But on a more positive note i havnt broke my fast and its almost dinner time 🙂

Hi everyone just checking in. Glad to see everyone is doing well with their fasts! I’ve found low calorie soup to be a lifesaver on my fast days so I’ve looked up a few recipes on Pinterest to get creative mostly found weight watchers recipes. I started last Tuesday and as of Saturday I was down 3lbs so since I fasted yesterday I was curious and hopped on the scales and I’m down a total of 6lbs. I’m doing alternate day fasting and allowing a 36 hour window. I really hope once it slows down I’ll be able to get about 1.5lb a week since I am watching what I eat on my non fast days and have noticed quite a reduction in my appetite since starting. My goal is 30lbs so 24 more to go! Being a stay at home mom starting this has shown I do have some willpower after all. sitting at home all day with this cold dreary winter weather and not breaking my fasts!

Thanks mamie muse for your encouragement 9lb is a fantasic acheivement.I survived that cold hungry feeling and have completed my fast without cheating so I’m pleased with that.
    Wdc alternate day fasting sounds like hard work but good luck to you, I don’t think I could do it.
    Well done kirsty for sticking to your fast.
    Let’s hope the scales are kind to us for all our efforts.

Hello Everyone!
    Sounds like you are all making wonderful progress. I had a good fast day yesterday but today I have unfortunately gone a little overboard. Had lunch then thought hmm I’ll have an ice cream then had a chocolate bar… Then had some peanut butter straight from the jar. I know we all have days where we make mistakes but I am feeling very bad about eating so much crap food! Anyway willing to offer me some support? What do you do when you get a bit of an sweet craving? Xx

Weighed in this morning and stayed the same but I’m ok with that because I didn’t managed a proper fast with not feeling well. Just got to stick to it next week and hope that things start shifting soon.
    Happy friday everyone x

You didn’t put any weight back Karen, so that’s good.
    Well I weighed my sell today and ive lost 4lbs since Monday morning. I’m not celebrating yet, as Ive got to get through the weekend first and if it’s anything like last week, I will put 2lbs back on before Monday!!
    This weekends mantra is ‘moderation is the key!’ 🙂
    Keep at it guys.

Well that’s made my day, another 3lb’s off so thats 8lb since I started.

Hi misshickey, I know what you mean about the sweet tooth. I have a tub of nutella in the cupboard and some corn cakes (like rice cakes but thinner)amd and oat crackers. If I get a sweet craving I have a couple of those with a thin layer of nutella(it’s very sweet)and I can’t eat more than two.

Morning everyone, hope you’ve all had a decent week. Weighed in this morning, lost 1lb, would have been nice to see a bit more but I’ve not been running this week and it’s my time of month, BUT, I have lost half an inch off my waist! Happy with that! My partner has lost 5lbs this week, so it was a good start to the day all round.
    Happy Friday! x

Morning everyone fast day yesterday was tough but i got through it Yaayyyy!!! Woke up this morning to snow. Was just wondering if anyone else finds their 2nd fast day in a week a lot tougher than the first? Mondaya fast was great but harder yesterday

Well done to everyone on their weight lose this week 🙂

Happy Friday! People are doing so well, its great 😀 I fasted yesterday, it was hard. I am fine with Mondays but Thursdays is a killer. Did it though, although had a bad stomach for most of the day 🙁 Better today, thank goodness. Plan for the weekend is to keep it healthy, and under my TDEE. I may even have a glass of wine tonight 😉

Hope you all have a great weekend .. its snowing where I am!

I am really happy to find this thread. Everyone is lovely and motivated. Full of positive energy. 🙂 I am just so motivated now. I decided to keep my progress updated like below. Not that everyone needs to know so much details but I think I would be more motivated when there are people to share my ups and downs (hopefully mostly down) 🙂 I will do my weekly weigh-in on Friday!

Height: 5ft4in
    Starting weight: 150lbs
    Target weight: 120lbs

12/1/2015: 150lbs
    16/1/2015: 148lbs

Hi Gerry 🙂 welcome i also want to lose 30lb well actually 32. I started on Monday 5th but havnt weighed myself since started trying to hold off as long as i can.

Hi Kristy,

I wish I could hold off from weighing myself. But consider that I used to wegih myself everyday, it is a big improvement that now I only weigh myself every friday 😉

Can anyone give me a bit of advice about fast days? I am a dedicated tea drinker (milk & 2 sweeteners) and I find that more than half of my calories on a fast day are used on tea. I’m highly unlikely to cut down on tea because I don’t function without it,my only ever attempt at detoxing ended in a violent migraine by lunch time. I can give up sugar, carbs, fat etc. but the tea stays.

Is this a good or a bad thing?

Yes, I get hungry but I have 200 calories left to actually eat at the latter end of the day.

Also does anyone find that the day after a fast they feel less like eating even though it’s a feed day? I woke up yesterday after a particularly difficult fast and didn’t feel hungry and in fact didn’t eat until early afternoon.

Mamie im a coffee addict and i wouldnt give it up for anyone around 200 cals on my fast day are used for coffee i used to take sugar but since starting i havnt and prob will never again. If tea is what gets you through your fasts then dont worry you are counting the cals in your 500 so its fine. Instant coffee with semi skinned milk added is 20 cals i always leave 200 for it altho never use it all most i would drink in a day would be 7 cups.

Thanks Kirsty at least it’s not just me.

Coffee for me I could give up anything but a hot cup of coffee! I only have a splash of skimmed milk in mine but I would be very miserable without it.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 740 total)

You must be logged in to reply.