Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,101 through 1,150 (of 7,277 total)

• Jo, as a long term maintainer, I always focus on the daily target, micro managing my 1-2kg wriggle room all the time.
    Eating normal amounts of food between fasting periods is the key. As we’ve discussed over and over, daily calorie restriction simply slows your metabolism. IF results in a healthy long term, sustainable weightloss.
    Keep enjoying sensible restrained eating between your fasts and enjoy your travels. 😊😊

HBC, there was a news report just now on the radio on research into the effectiveness of anti inflammitories on muscle pain. So few people received any relief compared to the number who developed gut issues, they concluded they were ineffective. Joint issues are a classic problem as we age. Take the new exercising slowly until the muscles build around the joints.

RT. Remember how young Dr Atkins was when he died? 😑😑

Purple

Hi everyone,

Jo, I was doing 3 or 4 fasts per week and it varied between B2Bs and ADF depending on social arrangements so I’m going back to that and eating brunch and dinner on non FDs.

Purple,
    I think far too many people pop anti inflammatories without due regard for what the consequences might be. They are one of the medications that really should not be taken on an empty stomach as they can damage the lining. I’ve recently stopped taking them for joint pain on the advice of my GP and now use topical applications in the form of gels and patches and if necessary take paracetemol for pain relief. Fortunately I’m not in a postion where I need daily medication and am hoping my muscle strengthening exercises will make a difference as my joints will get a bit more support.

Jo, kefir is like smooth creamy drinking yoghurt with a slight tang. The consistency varies (as all homemade products do) with how good the milk is/ how well you force it through the sieve/how long it brewed/how hot the weather was etc 😊 You simply drink it. My friend used it to make pancakes for her little lactose intolerant child, but cooking probiotics negates the reason you have them.
    Happy posted this on the Maintenance thread. P
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38800977

PVE,
    Kefir- Thanks for the information., I can’t wait to try it. Apparently there is one you can mix with water too, tastes like ginger beer including fizz. That might even be ok on fast days yes? I don’t know what a normal amount of food is anymore but I know I don’t eat excessively ever. Those days of eating until too full to move are gone. I like to keep it light now.

Yes everyone in the UK is talking about Kevir. I must have received 7 emails with links to Michaels programme. Certainly sound like it will really take off in a big way. He has pretty much damned the commercial product though.

Feeling great here, must be the summer and clean air.

Botanical Gardens were a real treat today.

I agree about anti inflammatories, they are not that effective, I use heat and freezer patches these days. Very rarely take any sort of pills now. I am certain my body is thanking me.

Amazon- whatever works sounds good. I had a slump last year but am well and truely on track now. I love 23/1, it works for me. Slowly building up calories from proteins on NFD’s too without impacting weight. Staying off wine, sugar and carbs though, I don’t even want them anymore, they sabotage my hard work. See I am learning?

You ARE learning Jo. 😊 Maybe it’s Southern Hemisphere clarity of thought? 😉😉😉😉 (only kidding. ..the others are asleep ) P

First time I’ve been called an inspiration, Jo! 🙂 Weather looks good for tomorrow.

Jo,

I didn’t catch all of Trust Me I’m a Doctor, so don’t know what the show said, but the supporting articles didn’t damn shop bought kefir or kombucha. They were both found to retain bacteria, unlike shop bought sauerkraut, kimchi and soft cheese.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2K91Yns068jFYVGxxbTnyvh/what-are-fermented-foods-and-which-are-best-for-improving-our-gut-health

Homemade kefir was just better. Any improvement on gut bacteria is an improvement on sugar laden processed foods and anti bacterials of any sort. P

Exactly P. Ideally make your own, but don’t despair if you can’t because shop bought kefir is nearly as good and will certainly do the job.

I will be picking up some kefir grains tomorrow, have been advised that they only last for a few iterations but will get that confirmed and report back.

Hi Happy,
    Apologies article related to shop bought probiotics, tiny yogurt type drinks. Apparently sterilised to such a point that most bacteria killed. I will try to find the article and link it. I may have got it wrong though, I usually do!

I didn’t see the programme either, not shown in NZ, relied on quotes sent to me, probably out of context.

Managed 17,000 steps today, very 😁

PVE- if the weather stayed like today I would be happy to stay another month, I love this hotel suite, lush! I am cooking here every evening now it’s great. I made my daughter a traffic light omelette for dinner, she loved it.

We went to Cuba Street night Market, the whole street was buzzing with street food, entertainers and so many tourists and locals- loved it. The smells yummy🌮

You mean you went down eight floors, Jo? Sometimes we can have more than two days of sunshine in a row in summer – this is not normal.

We will see the episode next year, no doubt, but it’s great to hear the outcome of the experiment and be able to apply it.

Morning/evening all,

Purple, I posted that article on the previous page 😆

Nice bright morning here with sunshine 🙂

Time to get moving,

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

Jo,

The article you’re referring to was the one that Amazon provided the link to.

Well I’m glad we’ve got that one sorted out 😉

It is a beautiful day here, the sun is streaming through the windows and along with the daffodils and scented narcissus I bought this morning one could be forgiven for thinking it is spring….. 💐💐💐

Good morning,
    Jo kefir’s main source of fuel is lactose. That’s the reason we always have to switch from sour to fresh milk. Here in the US is illegal to sell raw milk in witch is sad to be the best for kefir.
    This other type you are talking about is water kefir and it requires water kefir grains. You need to put them in sugary water or coconut water to make that fizzy drink.
    I do not believe the store bought yougurt or kefir has the beneficial amount of bacteria for our overall health benefits. I believe on the one I make myself 😉
    RT – very interesting that article. You have to tell us after words how it goes. What is food for some is poison to others. I enjoy salads, fruits, legumes too. In Brazil we have a cut of meat call “picanha” special for BBQ and has that beautiful day around and it’s delicious.
    Girls thanks for the vice in regards to anti-inflammatory. True we are a nation of pill poping for everything. I am aiming for build muscles 💪🏻. I am probably taking to serious to fast… fact age, yes 🙄
    Yesterday was 6FD17 and went well. It was my third 5:2 and I lost 7 pounds. I still don’t want to call it celebration yet. I’ve been here. It was probably muscles and toxic water in the body from last holidays. When I reach the magic number towards countdown I’ll let you know.
    We are going for a leisure boat ride with my stepdaughter this morning. I still need to go walking and break my Fast with something delicious before they get here.
    Be good my friends 💋

What out for typos! Should read before posting LOL 😂😂😂😂😂😂

HCB,

Great news on the weight loss! Sounds like you’re getting back into the rhythm of fasting.

I know what you mean about sore muscles after exercise – ow, my shoulders after starting press ups! Partly I think my technique was poor, so I’m concentrating on that, but also lack of muscle tone…

I don’t take anti inflammatories orally either, and certainly not for what is just the inevitable pain of starting a new exercise regime ☹️ I do use a topical ibuprofen gel when my lower back is sore, but things have to be very bad for me to take synthetic chemicals. My OH on the other hand…! I guess he just has a lower pain tolerance 😀

Well, I’ve got my kefir grains on order too! I’m aiming to dose me, my MIL…and my hens 🐓 Particularly with bird flu risks at present, I want to do all I can to strengthen their immune systems.

Jo,

I’ve been enjoying your travelogue. We’ve got relatives on the north island but I’ve not been over yet. When are you home? Can’t be long if you’ve got kefir grains on their way!

HCB, well done on the weight loss.

My thighs have been so painful that I had to give exercise a miss today. I decided to do more exercise this year and am full of enthusiasm but my body is lagging behind 😆 and despite doing lots of stretching my muscles have been protesting. The good news is that my shoulders are no longer sore and coping with me using weights and doing press ups (I must be mad…….)

I’m very envious of Jo’s trip too. My best friend has relatives in NZ and has threatened to take me with her when she visits but it hasn’t happened yet.

After two really easy FDs earlier in the week, today has been tough but I’m almost there 🤞

Hang in there Amazon! Think about a happy dance after weighing yourself 👗👠
    Just a quick stop! Need to run to the grocery story. A nice girlfriend is stopping for dinner 👍
    The boat ride was great. I feel tired but it must be the salty air and the sun.
    True! Jo’s vacation is amazing.
    See you later
    🙏

Morning All,
    Very well done HCB- bet you are feeling good?

Another miracle has happened on my scales, another 2 lb down, crazy, can’t explain it, hope it stays off. Three fasts this week and excellent non fast days too. Think I may need to stay in NZ, it’s obviously good for me.

Off to meet Barrata today.

Happy, happy, happy!

Kefir post, not sure if it duplicates Amazons link, probably
    What we found at the end of our study was fascinating. The group consuming the probiotic drink saw a small change in one bacteria type known to be good for weight management, bacteria called Lachnospiraceae. However this change wasn’t statistically significant.
    But our other two groups did see significant changes. The group eating foods rich in prebiotic fibre saw a rise in a type of bacteria known to be good for general gut health – something that is in line with other studies.
    Our biggest change, however, was in the kefir group.

Yes Jo, that’s what is in the link I posted.

Well done on the weight loss, you are doing really well especially as you are on holiday 🙂

Glorious day spent with the gorgeous and very slim Barata, only spoiled by non arrival of three promised buses for return trip to Wellington. What is the point of Electronic Information Boards if they are totally inaccurate? Ah well, it was a lovely sunny spot so I worked on my tan.

We did over 10,000 steps against some serious wind and then went to visit some Beauty spots by car. A light lunch led to a couple of G & T’s in Barrata’s lovely garden in the sun. Bliss.

Barata bought a Kefir starter pack (water version) and I bought a lemon Kefir drink, tasted fine but we worked out that it has about 25 calories per glass because of the sugar level. Quite expensive drink at 17 dollars for 750 ml. Not sure how much you should drink in one sitting. Website wasn’t too helpful.

Amazon
    I am thrilled with weight loss, let’s hope it continues. But I am eating lots of salad which I won’t fancy back in freezing UK next weekend. I think I need to follow the sun around the world all year to succeed at fasting. May need to buy some lottery tickets to fund my travelling lifestyle.

Morning/evening all,

Jo, I eat salad all year round and I make it more comforting in the winter by mixing hot and cold eg steamed,char grilled or roasted vegetables on a bed of leaves or a few cooked lentils/beans and mushrooms or a chicken breast sliced thinly or a boiled egg still warm. The combinations are endless, you just need to think outside the box and it is easy to keep within FD calories 🙂

I’ve manged 3 FDs this week but the scales are lagging. I know it’ll come off if I keep going so I’m not going to fret over it.

It’s a ☔☔☔ day here so I’m curled up on the sofa with the papers and a coffee. Lots of tennis to watch today and I should find an hour for my workout 😉

I’ve sent for some kefir grains too 😎

Have a good one everybody 😜

Kefir is taking the world by storm 😊😊

It’ll probably be easier to manage than my sourdough starter which exploded all over the fridge 🤣🤣🤣

Morning all,
    Paid the price for yesterdays indulgent day by 1 lb gain but not unduly concerned. 3 lb down this week is good for me. Plan on doing some walking this morning 15,000 steps minimum.
    Back to 23/1 for me today although it is ‘High Tea’ this ‘ arvvo’ (it it one or two v’s.please)sadly my no bread, no sugar rules will need to be relaxed for this special birthday treat for my hubby. Don’t want to ruin the party. I will kept the sugar low though just one tiny slice of cake.
    Barata- Thanks for a great day yesterday, looking forward to poisoning you next week. Hope your dinner party was great. You looked fabulous especially with the Sexy short red hair, very ‘on trend’.
    Amazon- well done on 3 fast days, hopefully it will drop off soon. I tried Kefir water drink yesterday, lemon version, very drinkable. Looking forward to making milk version next week.
    Ok so now researching Kombucher( is that right) saw stater kits yesterday. Is it porridge?

Hi Jo,

Kombucha is a fermented tea type drink.

I’m not fasting today and I had toast for brunch and an artichoke gratin with a green salad for dinner which was delicious. I’m now watching Davis Cup tennis and sipping a nice cold glass of white wine. Happy days 🙂

Fermented tea? Sounds interesting, may try that too! Thanks Amazon.

May catch some tennis myself here later, they repeat all games so often here, it’s great. Caught up on all the games I missed while out and about.

They are not games they are matches!

Hi Amazon, so disappointed! I thought maybe Davis Cup was like Hunger Games…only for tennis 😀

While waiting for my kefir grains to arrive, I found kefir in a Polish shop in town today. First thoughts, a bit lumpy, better with a spoon than as a drink. Taste wise, being used to unsweetened natural yoghurt it was no different. Sadly I suspect my MIL, most in need because of life-limiting IBS, but addicted to sugars/ sweeteners, will hate it ☹️

My hens appeared to enjoy it too 😀

Happy the kefir should be smooth as silk, not lumpy. For your mil, add some honey…good quality…to introduce her to it.
    My cat loves eating spare grains 😊

How on earth did the sourdough starter explode, Amazon?

We made kombucha for a while, but it was far from simple. P

Morning, all. Off shortly to buy the necessary jar and sieve for the kefir. There was only water grains available yesterday, but I think that would work better in the household- OH and son are much more likely to have a small glass of that per day than the milk version. And I can still have Greek yoghurt on my muesli on the days that I eat that.

And my sourdough sponge is waiting for attention, too. I made it too dry last time, I think. This version looks lots better. 🙂

It was a lovely day with Jo yesterday, ending up with the backyard G & Ts. Most civilised. We should have taken you to your hotel, Jo, rather than leaving you to fight the bus system – apologies on their behalf. The evening was very pleasant, too, although my cousin’s new boyfriend (they have known each other for fifty years) does not look well, very florid face, suffering from gout. So as long as she doesn’t make a serious commitment to him.

Purple,

I wanted to slow it down as I was going away for the weekend and read that I could put it in the fridge in a jar so I did and it blew the lid off and coated the inside of the fridge 🤣🤣🤣

Good grief Amazon! I often leave mine, unattended for weeks in the fridge, in a shallow, wide topped pyrex container with a sealing plastic lid. Never a problem.
    It will go a bit separated, with water on top, but a couple of days of feeding and tlc and he is fine again.P

Hi P,

The kefir wasn’t not smooth, but some of it was thinner and some of it was thicker! Not at all like cottage cheese though! Perhaps I should have shaken the bottle, but it was all double Dutch except for ‘kefir’ and ‘200ml’!

I’ve been reading that hens like spare grains too, so I’m not worried about overproduction!

I’ve never found bought kefir separates, but I always shake our homemade as each bottle contains 2 day’s production. The super creaminess gathers on the upper surface and lid…a bit like unhomogenised milk. Ah, those were the days…dipping my finger in the top of the jersey milk to get some rich golden cream. ☺☺☺😏

I don’t eat enough bread to make a sourdough starter worthwhile so it was an interesting experiment but not one that’ll be repeated any time soon.
    I made some bread this morning and when I checked it I found a very brown topped loaf with an uncooked base. I looked at the oven controls and I had it on the grill setting which is the next click on the dial from the oven so I changed it to oven setting and turned the loaf upside down. It tasted fine 🤣

I’ve done that with my oven too. SO annoying. ..just one little click 😑😐😶

Amazon, have you just invented a double cook loaf?!

I made spelt tortilla last night (for AJ black bean recipe). Mmm, too moreish 😊

I’ve had a real urge for pancakes this week, I guess I’m building towards shrove Tuesday!

I’m not sure but it had a lovely crust and a very tender crumb. Probably the best white loaf I’ve ever made. It tasted fab with some of my marrow and ginger jam……

I love anything with black beans 🙂

I bought some Jerusalem artichokes yesterday and made a gratin for dinner this evening which was delicious. I’m going to make artichoke puree tomorrow and top it with a wild mushroom ragout.

I’ll be wind assisted when I go to the gym on Monday 😉

I love pancakes but rarely make them. I’m thinking of making canneloni on Shrove Tuesday and substituting the pasta with pancakes.

I make galettes instead these days as buckweat is lower gi…and they remind us of Paris. 😚

Amazon,

When we moved here (mid summer) we inherited a fully planted vegetable garden, including Jerusalem artichoke. It was our first encounter with it. As I began reading your post the first thought in my head was digestive tract gas 😀

I’m afraid I sacrificed it. We’ve got a big plot of land (about an acre) so we’ve got space…but I didn’t like it enough to keep it. How have you cooked it? Maybe I should try and get past the unfortunate side effects!

I sliced and boiled it until it was just tender, then mixed it with cooked onion and garlic and covered it with a thyme and cheese sauce and topped it with breadcrumbs and put it in the oven for 30 minutes.

I’ve been researching recipes and have a few that I want to try including a soup topped with white truffle oil.

Apparently asafoetida powder which is used in Asian cooking by Jains etc who don’t eat garlic, counteracts the side effects of pulses and legumes so it might work for artichokes. I plan to buy some so I can test it out as I’m eating a lot more pulses these days 😬

Hi All,
    High tea at the Hippopotomus Hotel, very, very grand affair. We also has a glass of bubbly. Extrodinarily good service, decor very French Bourdoir with whacky art everywhere.
    Best surprise was only 1/4 sandwich each( vegetarian) and lots of little treats. Relatively small portions compared to high tea in the U.K. So bonus. Picture on Facebook is potion for two. My husband was very pleased with his birthday treat.

However it was not a meal with protein so we are going out for a meal in a pop up restaurant tonight. We have been promised a good vegetarian meal as my daughter’s friend is the Manager. Bit peckish in fact.

We did the Te Papa Bush Walk afterwards then some food shopping so plenty of steps today.

The weather has been gorgeous again, hot with a breeze, perfect.

A very nice day.

Fast day tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

Public holiday tomorrow, Waitangi Day, so FD will be a bit of a struggle. If we can get through without eating it will be a bonus, bbq chicken and lettuce salad in the evening.

Sorry the weather is going to deteriorate for the rest of your stay, Jo. Which day is his actual birthday?

Actually, no chance of fasting tomorrow 🙂 Sourdough dough is rising nicely, will be in the oven in the morning.

Rule No 1 Barata: plan your bread baking to coincide with an eating day! 😊

Hi Barrata,
    60 th is on Wednesday.

Only a kid, Jo?? 😉😉

Viewing 50 posts - 1,101 through 1,150 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.