Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 7,277 total)

• Morning/evening all

A cold morning here but dry for now 🙂

Baking bread and FDs are mutually exclusive 😉

I’ve decided to give something up for Lent this year and I’m going vegetarian for 40 days. I think it is an ideal opportunity to really expand the foods I eat and experiment with new recipes and adapting them to the fast diet.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Amazon,

That doesn’t sound like a hardship 😀 Can I come and live with you for Lent?

Can I give up hot weather for Lent? 30deg inside and out at 10:15pm!!!! 😑😑😑😑😝😲😞😠

Still 28c here at 10.30 pm. 😎😎😎💤💤💤

Have given up sugar for 3 weeks and keeping on for Lent. Cheers, all. Bay 🌺🌺😎😊

Good Evening Everyone actually it’s very late here but again I can’t sleep, worried about my dog.

I have been chatting to my son on FaceTime, one of my dogs has been very poorly so my son had to spend the weekend at my place. The dog sitter was very stressed, poor thing, she has gone home for a break. But Charly ( dog) seems to be making a good recovery. It’s not the dog that has been having spinal inflammation (Tilly) since my last holiday. I guess they are both telling me not to leave them, I might have to rethink India later this year. I am now anxious to get home. My vet has seen the dog and prescribed pills for ear infection and stomach upset. My son is now spoiling both dogs by letting them sleep on the bed and feeding them fresh chicken and rice.

Luckily I can have a ‘lay in’ tomorrow as no plans and weather not supposed to be good. I can focus on my fast and a good book.

Good Luck with your vegetarian 40 days, It will be fun for a good cook like yourself. I have a Gourmet Cookbook you could borrow if you like? but it’s not low calorie. Incredible meals in it though, I have had it over 30 years yet maybe only cooked about 10 dishes. So many ingredients for each dish, so much preparation time. I am a lazy cook I am afraid. It’s good that you enjoy it so much.

Bay- Well done on giving up sugar. I normally have very little, I don’t have a sweet tooth. Just as well you didn’t join me for high tea today, tiny cakes but very sweet.

Happy,

I am not religious and not doing it to cause hardship or difficulty but simply have a recognised start and end date for an experiment in eating healthily and sometimes indulgently without falling back on a steak, a bacon sarnie or a chunk of chorizo or even in times of extreme laziness or when I’ve been out 🍷🍷🍷 the chippy when I always buy battered fish and chips and eat every morsel.

I would love to have a volunteer who would happily live on a flesh free diet for 40 days without complaint. It would also be great to have someone elses opinon on what the food tastes like.

Jo, thanks for the offer but I have vegetarian cookery books and books with many veggie recipes eg Jerusalem, and I could eat a different dish for every meal for months and still leave scores of recipes untried.

My aim is to make every meal interesting, nutritious and satisfying so that I’m not tempted to graze from the fridge later on.

Bay, I admire your strength and willpower, I know I couldn’t give up sugar for longer than a few days.

Good morning
    I woke up with a foggy morning here and a little fresh. According to the weatherman sunny layer on the day.
    As expected the weithght is up. Purposely I are a big breakfast yesterday. Bacon, mushrooms and eggs. I’ve been recording everything I do and trying to figure out how it works for me the “feast – famine” situation.
    The person with a sweet tooth here is my husband. I baked brownies (from the box) for our company Friday and also fresh strawberries for dessert. My husband is helping himself on it. The only time I have sweet cravings is when I drink too much.
    Today for breakfast was cooked oats with banana and milk. I don’t add sugar, just cinnamon, delicious.
    Be good my friends! Good luck for those of you fasting on down under.

Morning all,

Happily I have now lost the regained pound after a non fast day. We did not eat healthily yesterday but we did eat very small portion meals. I really feel I have everything under control at the moment. Fingers crossed that I can finally go forward without any mor hiccups.

Amazon- I first started ( non meat ) eating for a New Year Resolution over 40 years ago. It was really hard but I stuck out the full year. I remember that sausages and bacon were the only things I craved. At that time vegetarian options of these were either not available or not tasty. I was living with my mother at the time and she cooked our food while I went to work. She was an excellent cook and used the one gourmet cook book we shared. Every meal took a couple of hours to prepare and tasted amazing. I would cook some Sundays for her but it was hard work. The food was very tasty which is why we stuck out the full year, there were no calorie restrictions either.

I tried being a vegan for 6 months about 10 years ago after reading cancer linked articles. Kept food simpler then with lots of raw food. My health suffered because I didn’t eat enough protein foods. Beans always gave me stomach pains so I relied on nuts as no dairy was allowed. I began to get a skin condition so brought dairy and fish back into my diet. Mostly since then I have been a pescatarian. I don’t miss meat but have it now when I don’t like alternatives on offer in cafes or restaurants. I am cooking lamb shanks this Wednesday for my husbands birthday, should make a nice change for me, don’t think I have eaten lamb for over a year.

It’s a bright but overcast day at the moment. Rest and relaxation today as my daughter is here, she has the day off from teaching. We may look at cars with her, she is planning on getting a little runabout. I may return to the Botanic Gardens I never tire of that beautiful place plus I am committed to minimum 10,000 steps daily.

Have a great day everyone.

Are you doing OK RT? Are you losing weight? I really look forward to hearing your comments on meat only diet. How is your digestion coping? Roughage shortage!

Hi Fast Trackers And Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    10270 steps in the bank this morning and I dodged the showers but strangely enough it rained all night here in South Australia and on Wednesday it will be 40 deg Thursday 37 and 38 on Friday. Nama did you catch a game or 2 of the Womens AFL on the weekend the enthusiasm and excitement is contagious and big congratulations to all involved.!! Well Monday again so let’s get our fast on.. Jojo this experiment of one is not for weight loss although that said 1.25kg down in week one with zero hunger is unreal as for the digestive system no issues at all no feeling of bloat or a backup or dare I say it a back log 😉 very simple to follow and for those interested these sites are a very good read.
    http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/start/
    https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/02/26/zero-carb-interview-kelly-williams-hogan/
    http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/06/my-zero-carb-life-hits-the-daily-mail/

“It’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Jo, I hope Charly is OK. As a pet owner I can appreciate the worry of leaving them and something happening, especially as they get older. At least your son, presumably someone Charly will be comfortable with, is there. And you’ll be home soon! Try not to worry too much?

Amazon, I’d love to be your foodie companion for Lent! When OH goes away it’s always an opportunity to eat vegetarian (and/or more fish). I get thoroughly fed up when we stay with certain friends/family and it’s meat every night, with accompaniments more a garnish or an afterthought. I feel much less healthy on a flesh-heavy diet. No offence RT, but in a competition between meat and no veg or veg and no meat for a month there would be no competition! And not forgetting that in terms of environmental sustainability, and particularly in the context of globalisation, we need to be eating less meat not more…. As an environmental scientist I can’t ignore the environmental impacts of meat/animal product production ☹️

I don’t yet have Jerusalem, but I do have both AJ books (eat/cook well). If you let me know what you’re planning on cooking I could maybe incorporate the same into my week and we could compare tasting notes?!

I’m tending more and more to very limited animal meats. I’ll be interested in your recipes Amazon and Happy. Mr P would not be impressed without his at least twice weekly dabble in animal carcass 😑 Btw I think haggis is ok as it uses that which others waste. Even my vegan son used to eat animal leftovers (eg prawn eyes 😣) if he thought the animal had died in vain. !!!
    On with Monday fast… P

Mmm, Haggis, lamb lungs and beef fat…what’s not to like 😀 Actually though P you make a good point, if we’re going to eat meat it shouldn’t be just the choice cuts it should be the whole animal.

And yes, in this house it’s Mr Happy who is more wedded to meat than me. These days I’m more inclined to do something interesting and vegetarian for us both and then give him a meat garnish 😀

Same Happy. I usually pile his plate high with delicious veg, with a very small amount of meat. He looks very despondent as he hunts around for the meat P

Hi everyone,

Today I had wild mushroom ragout on a bed of artichoke puree served with some savoy cabbage, and it was really good.

Happy, I like the idea of comparing tasting notes. When it gets nearer to Lent I’ll write myself a menu plan and let you know what I intend to make 🙂

Excellent, sounds like a plan! It will give me more of an incentive to try new things and not just cook tried and tested things that OH likes (the fallback position to avoid the scenario of him pushing things around his plate with a face like a slapped a**e 😀).

Yum, I can imagine the mushroom ragout working with all sorts of alternative bases.

RT,
    Well done you on weight lost and attitude to trying something new and not broadly accepted. Years ago I would have joined you, I was a real carnivore but now I choose vegetables and fish, much lighter in the digestive tract. One thing I will say about meat is it’s really filling and staves off hunger longer.

Looking forward to reading Happy/Amazon Vegetarian Food Log- it may even encourage me to be more adventurous. I did make an original tomato based soup yesterday but it wouldn’t qualify as fine dining just wholesome and nourishing.

Looked at some nice cars today by a bit pricey for our budget, the search goes on.

Steps only 8314 so I need to get out again in a bit also takes my mind off worrying.

Happy- I am in touch with home daily and Charlie(dog)is doing OK now. He is the dog with ‘auto immune desease’ so he may not be as strong at fighting off viruses. My dog sitter is a close friend, she loves dogs and has known mine well for most of their lives. They did well when I was away for three months but my husband was around in the evenings. This time neither of us are there but my dog sitter is living at my place. If it wasn’t so expensive to change my flight I would leave early as I really want to be there now. My son stayed Friday to Sunday night and he says he’s not worried so I just need to trust him. Vet not sure what caused problems, doesn’t think it is poisoning. We have had people poisoning dogs locally. It’s one of the reasons I muzzle my dogs when they are ‘off’ lead. There are some wicked people out there.
    Luckily I always leave emergency funds to pay a vet if needed, she didn’t hesitate in getting an appointment when he stopped eating.

PVE- I have had Haggis, delicious

Amazon- mushroom Ragout is a favourite of mine, yum

Well as the environmental conscience of the thread…😀 This is an interesting and easy read about meat production by Michael Mosley…Insects and mussels are the future!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28858289

Thanks Happy. Interesting link. As a resident of a country that is being severely effected by climate change, I found it excellent data.
    And we LOVE mussels in chilli pasatta!!! Thanks. P

Happy,
    Interesting article. You don’t need to convince me. I adore muscles too but my recent experience of eating locusts was not something I wish to repeat. If they were scrunched up into mince I might consider it but definitely not eating whole again. Those wings were stuck to the back of my throats all day. Totally gross. I do think that eating insects is the answer as they are a species as if not more successful than humans at procreation and survival. High protein, no sugar and low fat too, low calorie, win- win situation, perfect diet food.

Morning/evening all,

It’s a cold and frosty one here and it’s a FD.

Spoiler alert, this is all about FOOD!

The mushroom ragout evolved from a recipe I had for quail in Madeira sauce on a bed of polenta. I made it a couple of times and added a few mushrooms for some extra veg then tried it without meat but with dried and fresh wild mushrooms as they have a rich meaty texture. It’s really easy and tastes fab.
    It is great on polenta, or a vegetable puree (nothing too sweet) or even mashed potato, and if you are going carb free serve it with a huge pile of cooked greens.

I’m really looking forward to Lent and trying lots of new recipes.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Good morning
    This meat eating debate is a good one. According to MM’s statistics someone out there is eating my share.
    I have never eaten any insects and I am not ready for it either. Shrimp and lobster already resembles something weird.
    Happy that was a great article. I had to share it on Facebook.
    I try to be very environment friendly person. I asked my husband to put a line cloth to take advantage of the sun and here comes his son in law making the biggest jokes about us. Well, I am the one thinking about how the future generations are inheriting this earth. Believe me they abosulutely care less about this type of talk and with Trump now we are heading to big problems.
    Beautiful and sunny again here today! I’ll aim for a half Fast today.
    👍

Hi HCB,

There are housing estates being built in the UK where it is written in the contract that laundry cannot be hung outside to dry!!!!!! Such a stupid decision.
    I would never use a clothes dryer when I can utilise the sunshine and the wind to dry my clothes for free. If people don’t care for the sight of my laundry they can look elsewhere.
    I am jealous of your weather as it is cold and dull tdoay.

I’ve prepared a FD dinner of leeks in white sauce topped with a tiny amount of cheese and some black beans cooked with onion, garlic, tomato and chipotle paste. There is enough for two FD dinners and that includes half of a small avocado to top the beans. I’m looking forward to dinner 🙂

FD nearly done and it’s been a good one.

Dinner was good and very filling 🙂

HCB that dish sounds fantastic. I’ve never cooked, or eaten, black beans. Must look into them.
    As to the next generation caring about the environment. ..my 4 and their families are eco warriors. In every sector of their lives they try to walk lightly on the earth. I’m very proud of them. We have always had to drag the masses, kicking and screaming, towards positive change. Never give up 😊😊
    As to clothes lines….buildings need to be designed to include natural drying of clothes, but not on front balconies of apartment buildings! Central wells of light can easily be included for functional, private drying spaces within each unit. We have a holiday apartment with plenty of hanging space in a discreet communal spot. I seem to be the only one who utilises all that sunlight and seabreeze 😑 Laziness is killing the earth. P

Hi Purple,

It was me who made the bean recipe,
    Black beans usually appear in Mexican/South American and Chinese recipes.
    I’ve made refried beans a few times and when I came back from Cost Rica I was hooked on their “traditional” breakfast which was black beans, spicy tomatoes and fried eggs and was very tasty.

The Chinese use them in sauces but I’ve never cooked with them when making Chinese cuisine.

I have a small enclosed back garden and I dry my washing outside if I can as do many of my neighbours.
    Talking of using front balconies, when I was in Myanmar in one of the cities I looked up at the apartments above the shops along the main street and every small balcony had frames erected which were full of clothes on hangers. I would imagine it all smelled of exhaust fumes 😮

Morning everyone,

Drying clothes outside in winter is a challenge I can live without. I do some in the tumble dryer and the rest on a clothes horse by a radiator. Windy Wellington is pretty good for drying clothes provided you have some very stout pegs, especially on 9 th floor balcony. I remember as a child, pre tumble dryer days, bringing clothes in from the clothes line that were frozen stiff.

Good fast day yesterday but it hasn’t shown a decrease, but 1 lb up again. Not panicked it will probably drop tomorrow.

We are out for an Italian meal tonight, fish on the menu, yeay! Really not eating enough fish this trip, it’s been veg quiche or pie. Salmon kebabs last night with salad were good. Cooking lamb for Barata tomorrow night so 2 NFD’s to end my holiday. Heading home Thursday, get there early Friday. Arranged a taxi to collect us as I really want to get home quickly to see my dogs. My dog sitter still concerned, he hasn’t eaten well or barked for one week, normally he barks every time he goes into the garden. Chases off gulls, foxes and cats. Not chasing at all, mostly sleeping. Blood results not in yet but it sounds like poisoning, very worrying. Hang in there boy!

I will really miss my daughter and New Zealand. Hopefully she will get her own place next year so it will be cheaper to visit. Mind you I have loved staying in this Penthouse, the views are incredible even on a wet and windy day. The weather Gods have sent rain today and tomorrow so getting me adjusted to U.K. Winter. Enjoying the rest it has forced us to take.

Sorry Amazon. That will teach me to skim read and reply later 😶
    I make a dish of pasatta with every fresh herb I can find and break one egg in the middle. Grate Romano over it. Next time I’ll consider adding black beans, but not until the weather is cool enough for up to 3 hours boiling them in the kitchen. At present we cook only outside on the bbq to keep the house cool.
    Have a good trip home Jo. Nice to be away, but great to be home. P 😊

Hi Amazon and Purple

I always dry clothes on the line as I love the smell of sun dried washing. I remember putting my face into the washing when I was young and smelling that warm sunshiny smell. My mother maintains that sunshine kills all the germs, and using lemon juice you can bleach the white clothes in the sun. I use our dryer 3-4 times a year, in mid Winter.

Jo, I remember hanging out cloth nappies in mid Winter and having them snap frozen on the line as I pegged them. Later in the day they went on a rack near the combustion stove. Those were the days!! Haha!! I am glad I can afford to use a dryer if I want to.

Cheers, Bay

PS Yes, still using fast days as housework days. Makes the day go faster!!

Amazon, I love reading your recipes. Will make some of them over time.

I don’t long for sugar, but I have found that I have to keep reminding myself that I am going sugar free. Or I will absentmindedly go to put something in my mouth without checking its sugar or sweetener or sucrose, fructose, corn syrup etc content. It is in so many foods, that it is no wonder that people have put on weight. So far only one dessertspoon of accidental food before I recoiled in horror!!

I love fish and vegetables, with the rare piece of beef for variety. I have found my intake of other meats has reduced to insignificance.

Cheers, Bay

I still love that smell as I bring the washing in off the line Bay! We’ve had high 90% humidity all week, despite the heat the washing didn’t really dry. Raining today 😊😊😊

We have rain today and tomorrow and then back up to 37C on Thursday. What a Summer!!

Worst I can remember 😠

Weather is quite a topic for us here in SA as well and so for you guys on the Eastern Seaboard ours has been revised to
    Wed 40
    Thrs 39
    Fri 39
    There is a food and wine festival on this Saturday and the Farmers Market and local horse racing on Sunday.
    LG Lifes Good
    Peace RT

Hi RT

We get your weather the next day usually. Thanks for the links to zero carb eating. Very interesting. I think I will stick to no sugar for Lent. And see how you go.

Cheers, Bay ☀️☀️😄😄

Hello,
    That festival sounds like fun in SA 🍾! Actually love NZ Savignon Blanc it is delicious.
    Purple my salad was red kidney beans, avocado, lemon juice, onions,garlic, turmeri, black pepper, chickpeas, corn and olive oil. I bad a batch for about 4 days just for myself. My husband wouldn’t touch. It looks to messy for him. Amazon has the best dishes 🙏
    Line cloth saga – won’t bother my neighbors. It’s inside our lanai by the pool. For the two of us is nearly to nothing. Come to me free 🌝 sun
    Jo I am sure your doggies are looking forward to see you. Are you taking a taxi from London to your home town? As I can recall they were a fortune in England. How about Uber.
    Happy birthday to your hubby and enjoy your delicious NZ lamb… The best lamb even eaten in my life.
    Be good there everyone 🍄🌹🌺

You can keep that weather RT 😑 Flooding rains in Sydney today (google the great images) and 42 predicted Thurs to Sun. Urrrggghhh! Can I carry your bags home Jo? 😉😉

Purple,
    Definitely, I hate lugging cases around, even ones like mine with 4 wheels. It will be very cold in the U.K. now though, are you sure?

HCB- yes the lamb and wine here has a great reputation.

Weather today not as bad as predicted, no rain this afternoon but it has just started again. We went to visit my daughter at her school in Kingston, beautiful Montessori Pre-school, charming children. Kiwis are pretty fed up with this years summer.

Looking forward to my Italian meal tonight

Bay- I know what you mean, I am so fed up with checking labels for sugar content. It’s in pretty much everything, it seems.

RT- Are you still at goal, what happens if you keep losing through your new plan?

Well we’re headed for a few days of near zero, with night frosts, and snow forecast for some later in the week. I won’t even bother pegging washing out! I’ve got better things to do with my time than put washing out only to fetch it in still damp (or stiff). I do have a tumble dryer, invaluable in winter, and I use it relatively guilt free as we have solar panels 🌤 (oh, and I like to think I make a saving on electricity by not ironing anything 😀)

Morning/evening all,

Another cold, dull morning which seems to be the pattern for the week with temperature dropping to zero tonight and not rising above 7°C for the rest of the week. Brrrr!!!

I dry my washing indoors in the winter but it is not an issue as I do the washing in the evening and it drys overnight.
    I can’t have solar panels 😕

Purple, can you not get canned black beans?
    I usually buy canned beans as it is much more convenient but I’ve just bought some dried pinto beans and I’m going to cook up a panful then weigh them into portions and freeze them.

I love meat but there are so many other wonderful things to eat that I would miss out on the opportunity of cooking and enjoying them if I stuck to meat and two veg on a daily basis.

I’m off to the gym this morning and this afternoon I’m going to the National Gallery to see the Australian Impressionists exhibition 🙂

Jo, your dog sounds a bit poorly and he might have an infection but he is probably missing you too so is feeling depressed. The vet has already said it doesn’t seem like poisoning so he should recover but when we are getting on and not fully fit at the best of times it takes longer to recover.
    I bet he perks up no end as soon as you walk in the door.

Time to get moving , have a good one everybody 😜

I use both canned and dried beans, dried are best for slow cook stews, tinned are great for rustling up a quicker meal (I did Anna Jones chipotle black bean tortillas on Friday night, even made my own spelt tortillas 😇).

I think S American and Chinese black beans are different though. I was wondering if I could ferment my own black beans for a recipe (deep fried crispy beef…), but it appears to be black soy beans in Chinese cuisine.

P, I see what you mean about Sydney’s storms! Extreme weather indeed. I hope you’ve not been caught up too badly?

I always did enjoy a good storm…Less so now I own my own home!

Amazon,
    My dog sitter and son have not answered my requests for information about my dog today so I am really worried. I have sent emails and text messages because I don’t want to disturb them while they are at work. I have now asked another friend to pop in as I fear the worst. Hopefully someone will get back to me soon, it’s so difficult with 13 hour time difference. If I don’t hear anything I will ring my vet to get the test results myself.
    The Italian meal tonight was great, I had misto fritto and two veg sides to share. We also shared fig with panecotta. No wine but we were given a limoncello by the owner so we drank it. Really good meal, very full so left about one third. Thank goodness I hadn’t eaten earlier.

I am not looking forward to returning to cold weather, felt cold today yet it was 12 degrees. Brrrhhhh

I really can’t eat more than a handful of beans, they give me a stomach upset. Doesn’t seem to matter what type either, shame because I quite like them. Tried roasted salted chick peas, interesting, bit dry but close to a nut texture.

Thanjs Happy. Still here. I ended up very wet (shoes etc), but the city really copped this storm. All still and quiet now.
    From what I read about black beans, soaking and cooking your own eliminates the stomach upsets Jo and the flavour is apparently amazing compared to other beans.
    I use Asian black bean sauce in many dishes, but rarely make Tex/Mex style foods. Don’t you love this marvellous sharong of ideas. SO inspiring. 😊😊😊

Happy

I didn’t realise they were different!
    Apparently those used in South America are also known as turtle beans and the Chinese use black soy beans which they dry and ferment.

Who knew…….. 😵🙄

I should buy dried beans as they are cheaper and keep a few cans for when I don’t have time.

It has turned into a beautiful cold but sunny day 🙂

I had a good workout at the gym this morning and am now savouring my one FD mug of coffee with milk before I go out again.

PVE

Soaking beans better tha tinned? Who knew? I wonder why? I will certainly try this when home.

Finally heard from dog sitter. Blood results clear. Anti-inflamatories beginning to work, dog on the mend, what a relief.

I might get some sleep now

Night

Hi all

Jo,

good news indeed, a dog on the mend 🙂

I’ve just got back from the National Gallery. What a fabulous exhibition, I loved it and I’m so pleased I went to see it as I’m unlikely to see all those paintings again as they come from all over the place and some are privately owned.

The beans and leeks were even tastier today after having 24 hours for the flavours to develop…….

…or maybe it’s because I was so hungry I could have gnawed my arm off 😉
    I didn’t feel hungry until I walked into the flat 😆

Which exhibition Amazon?
    Changed my mind Jo. Despite my daughter reporting slightly longer days now ‘over there’, we have had rain, the temp and humidity has dropped, at least temporarily, and I think I’ll stay home for a while 😊😊 You’ll soon be home with your pooches 🐕🐶
    Happy birthday to your OH 🎂 P

Australian impressionists! I was paying attention 😀

I was pretty sure it was Happy….they are missing from MY gallery, but a quick look back on posts and I couldn’t find the reference 😑 Always better to confirm. 😉
    Eating day today. Weather cool, but not hungry. Yeah! P

I’m glad someone is 😉

I enjoyed it so much I’m thinking of going again in a few weeks. It was only £6.50 and worth every penny 😎

Viewing 50 posts - 1,151 through 1,200 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.