June 2020 monthly challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
June 2020 monthly challenge

This topic contains 694 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 696 total)

• Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Down to 263 lbs this morning. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the weight drops not the day after a FD but a couple of days later, after a NFD? It’s happened to me a few times. Maybe because the body is holding on to extra water? Interesting.

@i hate lettuce. That is spectacular! I am using the tracker plus my own spreadsheet and graph. When I look at the previous four spreadsheets (yes, I’ve been trying for four or five years to lose weight), the plots trended upward except for a brief period in late 2016 to early 2017 when I tried everyday calorie restriction. Then I quickly lost track of how much I was eating and watched in horror as I gained it all and much more back so quickly. This left me frustrated because in my mind, I wasn’t doing anything that different — but I obviously was… a few extra calories here or there kept adding up and I couldn’t figure it out on a daily basis. This year, the trend is steadily going down for the first time since the aforementioned period. Sometimes the dragon comes out, but he’s a lot tamer than week one; I try not to think about food and look instead at my progress. Great motivation!

Going for my first light snack of the day. Keep it up, everyone!

Day 3 UK CD

Yesterday’s CD went awry with wildrice & cheese. Don’t eat when tired, go to sleep earlier. I know this stuff.

Definitely puffier today but beginning to feel a glimmer of wellness. Had a lovely day today resting, reading and gently pottering, watching the birds and catching up with some social emails. Even thinking about a panel I’m doing next week, and actually starting to plan writing – something that’s been stuck since I got sick in early March. Small steps…

I had baked beans and scrambled egss for late brunch and will have either wild rice pudding with the leftover rice or baked apple later. Fruit & veg supplies nearly run down before deliveries tomorrow/Friday. But eating consciously, drinking more water and keeping food diary – tick. Small steps towards this months goals 🙂

@at happy birthday to you! 🙂
    @songbirdme glad to hear DH tested negative. Hope he is better soon x

Day 3, UK, NFD

Its been a decent NFD today. So far! I’ll try my best to keep it that way 😬

@songbirdme that’s really good news! I hope your DH recovers quickly x

@at Happy birthday! 🎈🍾

@dee22, glad to see another bird watcher among us 😀 , I love your tactics regarding cats, I’m thinking of investing in water pistol myself 😂

@snowflake56 yes its great that all 3 from last year are fine and flying freely now 😀. Apparently black flies are around every year and don’t affect them, unless there is a massive increase in their numbers, like last year.

I’m looking forward to my FD tomorrow 🙂

Have a lovely day/evening everyone 🌞

Day 3, London, UK, CD

It’s a late one from me!!

Happy Birthday 🥂 @at, have a fabulous day and remember EVERYTHING 🥂 is Zero-calorie today!!!! No doubt you’ll receive a special B’day song from your fellow maintainer & our resident songstress @songbirdme ……………….. especially after such good news for Mr. @songbirdme, no doubt the songbird has been singing since the results!!! Still thinking of you guys 🙏 sending healing vibes your way xx

@penz in answer to your question, there’s this body-con dress in the back of the wardrobe with the tags still attached, it’s quite possible that those dresses aren’t made for your average human woman that God made, but it’s a target!!!!

Welcome @northgeorgia, we all come to the same conclusion, the sooner, the better ……………………” be more wary of not overdoing it on my NFD” 😂 😳 The beauty of this WOL is that it is just that, a WOL, you’re never on it or off it you’re just living it and like life in general it has its ups and downs, I’m definitely a lifer since there really is no alternative ………………………. At least, not one where I don’t spend loads of money, feel deprived, demonise food until I crack & binge, feel excluded from family celebrations or where I throw in the towel and my self-esteem plummets as my weight rises!!!!

Good thinking @matpi, that medicine ball will also help keep the hand out of the snack bowl!!! Mindless hand to mouth action is a problem for many of us!!

Keep the faith people, June is OUR month to succeed!!!!!!

Whatever happened to @simcoeluv??????????

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.” – Charles Glassman

Day 3 USA FD800

I much enjoyed my day off yesterday! Today, getting back to business. Thanks to someone who called this a journey. I am hoping that will keep me on the right path when the scale isn’t cooperating.

I’m adding myself to the pocket list:

Pocket List – Day 3 🥕
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @mia139
    @suki2
    @endellion
    @breakfromcookies

Day 3 – DD list ☕️
    @funshipfreddie
    @suki2
    @emma-taylor
    @breakfromcookies

I would love to get into a coral dress I bought a few years back that still has it’s tags!

Have a good one – HBD @at!

Day 3, UK, NFD

So yesterday’s dinner ended up being crisps and a bit of chocolate instead of the salad and veggie quiche i had mentally planned ahead. I think i was pretty tired and couldnt get myself to cook it. Note to self: Meal prep ahead is really something I should work on to avoid these weakness moments.

NFD today and mainly staying healthy: overnight oats for breakfast and tofu and salad for lunch. Happy that I finally found tofu that actually tastes decent and has a more meaty texture, i think its called tofoo or something. Also had apple as a snack, beef burger (no bun!) with avocado salad and a slice of cheese for dinner. Movie night with OH so possibly (oh who are we kidding? definitely!) having a choc cake slice later.

Looking forward to an FD tomorrow! FD salad prepared and ready for me to take to work.

Keep positive everyone! And happy birthday @at ! Thank you for adding me to the spreadsheet 😘

Day 3 Canada NFD

Yesterday’s FD was an easy one, I could have skipped dinner but it was cooked and ready.
    I am going to fast Tuesday and Thursday so that makes one fd down and 8 to go for the month. Excited to be not be feeling constantly full 🙂
    @songbirdme I am so glad your hubby tested negative
    @at hope you are having a happy birthday.
    Clothes I would love to wear….a pair of winter jeans and a summer dress, both aren’t forgiving but pieces I really look forward to being comfortable in.
    Hope your fasting/non-fasting is going to plan

Day 3 USA (Illinois) CD

It’s nice to see more Americans around here — welcome @northgeorgia @stitchincarol @erikaa67 and @breakfromcookies — I am in NW Illinois about 15 miles south of Monroe, WI so your neighbor.

And to all you newbies, this forum’s participants are the best way possible to lose weight.And in my case, maintain my loss.

DH still in hospital, trying a new antibiotic. He doesn’t feel awful, just lonely with me at home not able to visit.

Onward and downward.

Day 4, FD, Aus

Looks like there are some great items of clothing lurking in the back of wardrobes around the world, just waiting to get out and about again (well maybe some of them won’t be worn in public)! Sounds like you’ve had some amazing travel experiences, @northgeorgia I did laugh at your tweed jacket @Ihatelettuce – there aren’t too many of us missing clothes that are now too big to wear!

The lure of the wine was strong last night but I resisted. Yay for me. I like the little victories.

Chase that glimmer of wellness, @michelinme until it bathes you in healing light.

Day 4 pocket list
    @penz
    @mia139 (there’s no escape!)

And I forgot the DD list:
    @penz

Today’s question is a little different, but might help us get to know each other a little better. I know the answer for some, but not all of you. What’s the story behind your handle? Mine (penz) is an old school nick name I had but which no one calls me any more. I like to write! And penz looks cooler than pens.

Day 4, Emden Germany, FD

yesterday’s CD went well, I had ~1000 cals. I feel well so I’m going for a FD today.

I’m also missing the great advice from @simcoeluv, he knew what he was talking about! I hope he’s fine.

@songbirdme I’m glad to hear your DH doesn’t feel too bad. I hope he’ll be home soon.

@shinything let’s just hope they’ll all fledge as they’re supposed to do.

@penz “Snowflake” comes from a lovely story by Paul Gallico.

@jaifaim I’m missing your posts, I hope you’re fine.

Day 4 pocket list
    @penz
    @snowflake56

DD list:
    @penz

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 4 Melb Aust CD

Great to read of all the diverse items of clothing we’re all longing to get back into (except @i hate lettuce, who’d be appalled if he gained enough for his tweed jacket to fit comfortably again).

@michelinme, glad you’re finally feeling well enough to approach work that you’ve been unable to face. Hope the panel goes well, too.

@snowflake56, so lovely to have you back with us, and determinedly working on this WOL again. Sounds like good progress is being made, well done!

@at, happy birthday! Not sure when it is, but enjoy.

@penz, enjoying your questions. Good for you in avoiding the vino lure 🙂

My “moniker” is a “pet name” my mother used to call me sometimes when I was young. She’s been gone now nearly 40 years, but it brings her back to mind.

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 4 – UK – FD

I was surprised to find my weight up a lb. I’ve eaten really well & healthy. I’ve had some pain meds in recent days and they do tend to bloat me so I’m putting it down to that. Hopefully by the weekend I’ll be back down again.

Planning on having a miso soup and omelette today. Comes in at around 400 cals, then 100 cals in drinks (milk in tea & coffee).

Take care, stay safe x.

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Good FD yesterday, but over the 500 cals as I was actually hangry when I came home from work (I never get hangry) so I threw some extra tuna protein into my quionoa salad dinner.

Big changes in work. My contract is nearly up, but the company are doing a big re-organisation, job cuts and amalgamation, I have expressed my interest in being part of the pool of employees in the new regime, possible interview next week……so it’s a tad stressful to deal with that!

I just hope to still keep working, whether as permanent or contract employee. Fingers crossed

It’s date night tonight as DH is working nights this weekend so I will enjoy tonight’s meal and wine. Then I might,must might, try an FD tomorrow Friday. Never been done by me before. Saturday is my lockdown birthday on my own 😄

@songbirdme…fantastic news re your DH. Speedy recovery.
    @at Happy belated birthday. Hope you had a great one.

@penz I am big into horticulture, but despite it all, my favourite flower is the humble daffodil. I love how it heralds in Springtime with its promise of fresh new beginning for the year ahead. In Ireland we often have daffodils in January through till late April…nothing can beat them for me. Hence my moniker. The 2010 relates to the year DH and I married…yes, in Springtime, surrounded by daffodils in the country hotel we had our ceremony in ☺️

Day 4 – Lake District UK- FD

Good morning everyone,

Going to make it another FD today, think I need it after the weekend!

One of the benefits of this early hot spell is not only are the flowery things in the garden doing well, the herbs, potatoes, strawberries and tomatoes are early! The herbs always thrive, but they are rampant this year, cutting huge bunches for neighbours, great when you throw some on the bbq at the last minute as well (the herbs not the neighbours)
    We started picking the tomatoes, both red and yellow varieties at weekend as well as the strawberries, lovely when they come off the plants and eaten within minutes. I also started off potatoes in the greenhouse which are grown in sacks so they can be moved outside, the first earlies are ready for this weekend, another treat, straight out of the bag, quick rinse off and straight into a pan of boiling water, they just melt.

I’m really committed to this WOL now! Have to be, Mrs IHL and I cleared the wardrobes recently, yesterday took 5 bags from ‘the den’ to a drop off for the charity shop!

@betsylee – miss the jacket, really don’t miss the weight 🙂

@penz – my handle, dead easy, my mothers idea of a salad was a big pile of lettuce, with a tomato on top, not many little boys idea of food, even in the 1960’s. Actually I don’t hate lettuce, just don’t like the soggy soft stuff. Before we moved to our present home I used to grow several varieties of lettuce, Cos lettuce, variety Balloon was my favourite, cut fresh, several leaves on homemade bread made a brilliant sandwich!

Take care all

Day 4 pocket list
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes

DD list:
    @penz

Day 4, London, UK, NFD

@songbirdme, fingers crossed Mr. Songbirdme gets home soon …………………………. Best place for him to be after-all!!

@penz, my handle is fairly self-explanatory, It’s something my dad & aunts used to call me when I was a toddler as I would always go for any flour based treat over a sweet or lollypop etc. I always say, “I’ve never met a white refined carb I didn’t fall instantly in love with” & throw in some sugar & butter and I’m a goner!!! By the way, congrats on the vino swerve ……………… think water!!! 😂

@snowflake56, I agree some posts from @simcoeluv helped me immensely at the beginning of my journey, although I did notice some rather ‘strongly worded’ posts at times!!! 😳 😳

I’m feeling like my mojo is firmly fixed in place at the moment, I need to remember this feeling of positivity, there’s no point lobbing myself off of the wagon, as much as I love the chit-chat & getting global news first hand, I need to remember that these monthly challenges are just that ………………… challenges!!! So without daily weigh-ins, I’ll be focussed on my July 1st weight being less than June 1st (will I be able to avoid the scales???) and getting into my June target dress!!

Onward & downwards folks, we’ve got this!!!

Day 4 Ire NFD

Good morning, am focused today on keeping busy. This lockdown makes days run into each other and disappear. Then I’m wondering what did I do this week ? Strange times indeed. I think people are becoming too complacent now about social distancing and we are in danger of another surge in numbers. It is hard to stay home and we are missing our lives before Covid but I’m hanging in there , the alternative is too risky . When it’s over I’ll emerge with weight gone wearing that jacket that used to be too small 😉.
    Thanks for the support. I’m off to chase the cats !!

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK CD
    Scales have shown a downward trend after both my FDs this week. This is the most movement I’ve seen for a while. 😁
    Last night was my book club zoom. Since lockdown its been an opportunity to change habits, so I no longer snack or drink alcohol during our chats.
    Visiting my mum today for the first time since lockdown began.

My ‘handle’ comes from an old nursery rhyme. Polly put the kettle on’ I was always Suki when we played as children.
    Joining the DD list again today.

DD list day 4
    @penz
    @suki2

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@at – Happy Birthday! 🎂 💐🎊🎈🎁 Not sure which day it is though..?

@penz – my handle was actually Carnival Cruise Lines’ mascot when I was working on the ships. ‘Fun Ship Freddy’ was a sort of cartoon character, red, white & blue, with a funnel-shaped head. He would walk around the ship occasionally, waving to people, & you could have a photo taken with him. In reality it was one of the dancers in a suit. He even had his own Facebook page; but I believe he’s also ‘retired’ now.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie

DD List ☕️
    @penz
    @suki2
    @funshipfreddie

Day 4 – UK – FD
    Day 3 definitely a NFD 🎂

Firstly a big thank you to all the lovely birthday wishes for yesterday 🤗

Had a beautiful day starting with a brilliant yoga class – telephone calls from DD and my sister/nieces in Australia – opening all my lovely cards and presents………..My favourite brunch of sourdough toast, avocado and poached duck eggs. Later in the afternoon a brisk 5 mile walk followed by more phone calls from several friends and a few individuals arrived for a socially distanced chat outside the front door 🤗 Ending the day with a yummy meal and a bottle of one my favourite English sparkling wine Chapel Down Rose with OH in the evening – definitely feeling loved 😊

Pressing my RESET button today with a FD – aiming for 500cals but may end up 800cals…….A 7am Broga class with OH started me in the right mood.

I have just put a GF Clementine, Almond and Olive Oil Cake in the oven for someone’s husband 80th birthday tomorrow (I baked her one for her birthday a few weeks ago and she contacted me to see if I could make another one for husband, so I assume they liked it!!!)

@penz – re clothing question on Day 3 – when I lost weight I gave away all my larger clothes and gradually bought new clothes and the aim is to fit in all my new favourites 👗 and my handle is boringly my initials……
    @northgeorgia – welcome to our monthly challenge – I have added you to the spreadsheet in case you wish to use it for motivation
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t_vKkPeTUBCU7LMGhRyXENwYu9lpcXEBOn1Le1vH2n8/edit?usp=sharing
    @flourbaby – everything I ate/drank yesterday was definitely calorie free as they were not entered on MFP 🤣🤣
    @songbirdme – 🤞the new antibiotics work for your OH
    @daffodil2010 – good luck with the job interviews – they would be mad to lose such a good employee as yourself
    @i-hate-lettuce – your veg garden sounds fab and very productive – enjoy the fruit of your labours

Lovely to read everyone’s posts and getting to know those new to the challenge – we now have 34 joining in so far and a few oldies may pop in soon…..

Cake out of the oven and lemon syrup drizzled over – waiting for it to cool completely and finishing it off with a clementine glaze and then deliver it

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at

DD List ☕️
    @penz
    @suki2
    @funshipfreddie

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now.”

Day 4 UK FD

Glad you had a good birthday @at – think I forgot to post yesterday

My user name is one I regularly use online after being caught out once using a rather rude one not realising it would be visible !

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle

DD List ☕️
    @penz
    @suki2
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 4, UK, FD

@at happy birthday for yesterday. It sounds like you had a good day and no calories either😀.

Attempting an at home FD, keeping busy doing shopping for MIL and delivering later. Yesterday we drove past a large branch of NEXT (a UK High St clothing store) which was open, signs up outside and staff ushering people in. It was so strange to see it after so long. DH asked if I wanted to go in and I said no. I really couldn’t think of anything I wanted. Maybe this is a sign of the new normal – I’m cured of my shopping habit 😀.

@penz – saffy was the name of one of our old cats, I started to use it not long after we lost her – several years ago. 420 was random.

Have a great day everyone.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420

Day 4 – Switzerland – FD800

It’s raining and it’s cloudy and colder… life (and fasting) is so much easier when sunny 🙁

Anyway, on my FD (800 cal) today, up to now had 2 coffees with milk and broccoli soup for lunch. That means I have a little over 500 cal left for dinner. Happy to be done fasting for the week after today – I prefer my usual monday/thursday fast routine with 2 days in between FDs. But next week I will have to do monday/wednesday because of the upcoming long weekend…seigh.

I weighed myself yesterday post-FD and was very happy to see another half kg gone, yay! I will probably be a similar weight after today, normally there is just one drop per week.

@penz: my handle is really nothing, I had to come up with one and didn’t have a good idea. Beck has to do with my first name and 100 doesn’t mean anything, I never weighed 100kg or planned to be 100 pounds ore lose 100 pounds or anything. So quite boring actually – but it was really interesting reading about your handles 🙂

Next week I’m going back to the office – just one day per week, but it feels like a big change! Will be nice to have some change of scenery (sorry for my english, that sounds weird)

Take care!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100

Day 4 – USA – FD800

Yesterday’s fast turned out to be more of a calorie control day. However, I’m glad I’m still on the wagon! I do need to find a better system for non-fast days. I go between counting calories, low carb, or TRE (OMAD). I’m tempted to try OMAD, because I feel so much better mentally with periods without food in my system. I know I need to find clarity in this over the next few days. Any advice would be appreciated!

Today, we have our kindergarten and 8th grade graduations at the school where I teach. We are having parents drive up to our outdoor stage and the students get out one at a time for their moment on the stage to accept their certificate and gifts. I am hoping it will run smoothly and that people will respect social distancing / staying in their cars. Our inner city (Milwaukee) has been hit hard with COVID, and we have many of our families that have had the virus in their homes.

Today will also mark the end of the school year for me, I’m ready to put down the computer and be outside more.

@penz, I love the question of the day! breakfromcookies is pretty self explanatory :). It helps me to remember that no foods are off limits, just only on fast days.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies

Have a good one

Day 4 FD London

Joining the pocket list – which is trickier than it should be on my iPad, Easier to join at the top for some reason. My handle is just a fake name I made up. Obviously not very creative….
    Very glad to be dry till Fri – it makes all the difference. And I really like following my FD by waiting as long as possible the following day to eat. It’s easier than doing it on a FD, I find.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @emma-taylor
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies

Day 4, Rural Nebraska, USA, FD

Yesterday’s NFD went well; I truly did keep the calories to around 1400. I’ve tried doing lower calorie days in addition to a FD twice a week, but I rebel, so it works best for me not to go lower than 1400 or so on NFDs.

I never do eat breakfast (the thought is repulsive to me until at least ten in the morning) and find it easy enough (at least on a FD) to skip lunch, so OMAD is how DH and I do FDs. Tonight we’ll have fish and two steamed veggies; lots of bulk, but few calories.

I did some more gardening this morning, but only an hour’s worth, and not weed pulling, but some planting. Another week of this, and then all the spring to-do chores will be done and it’ll just be maintenance. “Just.” HAH! That’s plenty of work, too. 🙂

@penz, My name is because I do loads of stitching (knitting, crocheting, tatting, bobbin lace, embroidery, crewel, needlepoint, smocking, quilting, applique, garment sewing, etc. are the things I’ve done at one point or another, and many I still do) and I chose to drop the g for no particular reason.

Have a grand day, everyone, with laser focus and success on your goals!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @emma-taylor
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies
    @stitchincarol

Day 4 Canada FD

@northgeorgia congrats on the drop, I think the body reacts in all sorts of ways including plateaus
    @michelinme your gentle day sounds ideal, small steps are important sometimes
    @breakfromcookies this WOL is definitely a journey, I know because I sometimes wander sideways 🙂 Your graduation ceremony sounds very inventive, good luck
    @beck100 Yay!!!!
    @at it sounds like you had a perfect iso birthday
    @saffy420 I have probably embraced the covid casual too much, stepping up and improving my grooming and having a haircut in a few weeks. Not interested in new clothes though

@penz my name comes from the annoying way my weight always lands on my tum, if I had super powers I would blast it away.

Pocket List – Day 4 🍏
    @emma-taylor
    @penz
    @mia139
    @snowflake56
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

I’m heading to town shortly to bring DH home from the hospital, still with antibiotics, but glad to be able to give him a good night’s sleep with no nurses taking vitals through the night! 🙂

@at sorry I didn’t get to sing to you “Happy birthday” ♫♪♫ but here it is, belated at least!

Onward and downward.

2nd post

I’m getting a bit hungry and cold, will defrost chicken broth to get warm. I love the daily questions and loved reading about everyone’s handles.

@betsylee thanks, I’m doing well at the moment but I always do at the start of the month. This month I’m trying to do well the whole month.

@flourbaby I seem to have missed that but I don’t read every post on this site.

@songbirdme that’s really good news!

Day 4 UK FD

Yesterday was lovely but the Strangest day today!

Woke up with a headache and had a really strange faint / breathless episode lasting around 90 mins. Lying down flat didn’t make me better and i was apparently very white. Health centre suggested I call 111 who put me through to 999 who sent an ambulance who took me to hospital for tests. My BP stayed high – usually low end of normal – but everything else normal apart from slight fever. Sent home for GP to organise 24hour ECG & BP and take it from there.

Today was going to be a FD anyway but not drunk anything like enough water. Planning to reheat my delicous greens & beans soup, spinach omelette with tomatoes & avocado. My hair got really tangled by the day so I think it’s either a long brush and a slow bath, or a scrub from head to toe before a super early night.

That’s another bump of motivation to keep me on the 5:2 path, if ever i needed one. But goodness I’m exhausted – what an unexpected day

@songbirdme v glad DH is coming home, hope he continues to recovery gently

@penz when i signed up for 5:2 i felt as tho there was an ever inflating fat suit between me and the world and me & me. I pictured this fat suit like the michelin man – from the old tyre advertisements. So, michelinme 🙂

Day 4, UK, FD

So far so good, just about to have my meal of chickpeas, which will be around 300cal. Fruit later and that should be it 🙂

@penz to answer your question: on the day when I sign up for this forum I could not focus and was easily distracted all day, jumping from one thing to the other. Like when you start something but than you get distracted by a shiny thing 😂

Day 4 pocket list
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @judyjudes
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies
    @@emma-taylor
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast
    @michelinme

DD List ☕️
    @penz
    @suki2
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

We have a nice strong pocket list today 💪

Day 4 -USA/GA – NFD

This morning, which is my post FD, I weighed in at 261. With four NFDs coming up in a row, I will have to be cautious, especially with all this delicious fruit that demands to be eaten mmmm

@at Thanks for the spreadsheet add. I will look at it soon, but right now at work, we’re figuring budgets and cuts with several deadlines coming up, so my spreadsheet eyes are a little tired haha

@bellyblast Yes, I just left a week long plateau, so we’ll see what happens this month. As long as I trend downward each monrh, I am satisfied.

Thanks, @songbirdme @flourbaby and Im afraid to go back a page on my tablet since I’ve written a book so far, but to everyone else for the welcome. I love that we have a community of online support.

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD

Hi all, I’m sorry that I have been MIA since the start of this month…

I hope you are all well!

I’m looking after mum and dad this week along with working from home (in their home – not ideal…) so it has been challenging but… as I always say.. I wouldn’t change it for the world but I am pretty wrecked.. I head back to my home tomorrow so will rest then. There is so much to do here between medication, food, dressing, and little sleep etc. that I just have not had time to catch up or read posts… but I’m back now and hope to continue reading and posting daily from tomorrow 👍

So starting this month at 166.5 which was only .5lb down on start of May weight.. but I have shrunk a little and have had some nice compliments in the past two weeks so will not worry about the weight.. also, I watched an Instagram post by Joe Wicks where he reiterated how we must not get hung up on the whole weight loss generally and focus on improved mood, etc, as looking at the scales can really affect us in a very detrimental way. It struck a chord so I’m going to focus only on the June 30 reading and not weigh too frequently along the way…

@penz, thanks for hosting June and for your great daily questions which keep the interaction going on the forum…👏
    So in answer to some of your questions.. and I can’t remember the order… here goes:

I had two pairs of really cool trousers/jeans that I fit into in 2001 before I was diagnosed with an auto immune disease which meant years of steroids and other meds and I’m back in both of those now..
    I also had a fabulous funky Karen Millen trouser suit which is just gorgeous but I’m not back into that yet.. I don’t know if I ever will!!

The most surprising thing about this WOL is that I always thought I couldn’t last more than four or five hours without food…I was known to always have some sweets or chocolate on me if I was out on a trip or a hike or whatever.. this has been a huge lesson for me to learn.

My goal for June is to lose 2lbs and to stay on the dry in the main.. in terms of the auto immune disease Sugar is really not good for me and alcohol is worse so I only drink where there is a celebration like a birthday etc. so for some Zoom calls I will have a drink but it’s rare now..

My moniker Jaifaim (J’ai Faim) is a play on words as I am a French speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain… I’ve never actually got to maintenance but one day I will 💪 … and I’m always hungry… it’s my default setting…

Happy belated birthday wishes @at!!!🎉

@snowflake56 thanks for thinking of me.. just when you came back I went missing 😂… I’m glad we are both back now.. on the right track.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

@michelinme – sure do hope your health issues are nothing serious! Prayers from me. <3

My moniker: SongBird because I am a singer. Early days of AOL, they told us not to use our real names for email, so I picked that. Had to add the “me” since SongBird was taken. I still use that email – 26 years. My DH who used to write reviews of musical and theatrical performances captioned me as “the best soprano in the county, a small county” 🙂

Day 5, NFD, Aus

I struggled with yesterday’s FD but thought of the pocket list and the host’s responsibility to set a good example and got through it (self imposed responsibility in this sense but whatever works, hey?) Disappointingly, tho, the scales showed no change. Two weeks in a row! I’m either overdoing it on NFDs (well, I probably am) or I’m increasing muscle weight thanks to Leslie Sansone. That explanation makes me feel better.

Way to go @suki2 with your cooperative scales (and diligent FDs). And @northgeorgia, @beck100 – great results.

@at Can I put in an order for your GF Clementine, Almond and Olive Oil Cake too? You could personally deliver it AND visit your family down under. Oh. Once borders are lifted of course. I’m prepared to wait.

@emma Taylor!! I’m strangely disappointed your name is fake! It seems so real I had thought that was really you. Now I am imagining you had a career as a spy or some other secretive reason for disguising your true identity. A non de plume perhaps? You’re a famous writer or some other celebrity??

A fellow breakfast hater, @stichincarol. Were you one of those people who forced themselves to eat breakfast needlessly because of the “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” mantra?

Must be a relief to have DH home in time for the weekend @songbirdme.

Take care of yourself @michelinme – you’ve had a rough time of late. I’m going to try your zucchini and pea soup today (with freshly made rocket pesto from our garden).

Lovely to have you back, @jaifaim

Trying to work out if that was really a compliment, @songbirdme! 🙂

Loved all the responses re your 5:2 names. Today’s question: what is the most effective way you’ve been able to defeat the hunger dragon / little voice inside your head that urges you to eat/drink?

[Speaking of which, it’s Friday and I am most definitely not on the DD today!]

Have a great weekend everyone.

Day 4 Ohio, US — FD
    Day 3 — NFD

Today the fasting went well. This was another day that I had to schedule my walking to miss intense thunder storms. At noon I took a 15 minute walk and there was thunder rolling across the sky the entire time. I made it home just before a cloudburst hit. While I’ve experienced rolling thunder before, I don’t believe that I’ve ever experienced it continuously for such a long period of time.

@penz On FD’s I almost never hear that hunger dragon, but on NFD’s when I hear the sugar dragon, I’ve almost never succeeded in defeating it. My only strategy is to keep anything sugary out of the house, because the dragon only call if it senses something sugary in the vicinity. (To mix the monster metaphor, it’s something of the Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum phenomenon.) It would be great to learn how other people actually defeat it in hand-to-hand combat.

As for my handle —- Until I retired last summer I taught maths so matpi is a combination of mat(hs)pi, the pi being the same that’s celebrated on March 14 each year, and also “mat” sounds more like someone’s first name.

Just to round out the pocket list:

Day 4 pocket list
    @penz
    @snowflake56
    @judyjudes
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @saffy420
    @beck100
    @breakfromcookies
    @@emma-taylor
    @stitchincarol
    @bellyblast
    @michelinme
    @matpi

DD List ☕️
    @penz
    @suki2
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 5 NFD. Yay! It’s Friday. Beers are in the fridge, ready for tonight. And yes, @penz, I know it’s a stupid made up name. I should’ve been able to come up with something better!!! My real name is Hazel, which seems to really date me, because there are very few Hazels under the age of about 55. Except Julia Roberts daughter, I think, who is called Hazel. Maybe it’s having a moment….I have a niece called Holly, and I always think we have lovely pagan names.
    Have a great Friday everybody. H

Day 5 – Japan – WFD #44 in 2020

Well into the fast day …

Day 5, Emden Germany, NFD

@michelinme please take care!

@jaifaim glad to have you with us!

@at I’m not able to get to the spreadsheet. I have to go to gmail and when I enter it says you have to give me permission to get access to the spreadsheet.

I’m afraid I’m not very good at defeating the hunger dragon, I mostly eat somthing small. When it came yesterday I had a small bowl of chicken broth, that helped.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 5 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

As DH is working nights for the weekend I won’t have him as my excuse to sit back and drink wine, so I might, just might, try a CD today. At least stay off the wine tonight anyway!

Our Covid work lunch delivery comes to an end today…..so while I really really looked forward to the delicious food delivery every day (it was provided free by my company), I am glad too as it means (1) we are moving out of the restriction phases of lockdown but (2) I can prepare my own 5:2 friendly lunch for work and know the calories.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and like many of us, it’s a lockdown birthday. I will cook myself a lovely chick pea pilau and have a quiet relaxing weekend as DH is working.

Next week might be stressful as the whole job sit audio might be clearer for me and hopefully I still have a job.

@michelinme please take care of yourself.
    @jaifaim welcome back. You inspired me to visit my Dad last week as I had t seen him since Christmas, and although I went out of my restriction zone I felt it was a very necessary journey to go and visit Dad. As you said, it’s good to have those “5 minutes” with them now while we can

@emma Taylor…yeah, my name is also dated too, not many people under the age of 50 now have my name…….it’s the same as a certain wife of an American president who was shot in Dallas in 1963.

@penz. I find slurping back 500ml of water in one glug helps the hunger dragon. If not, then some broth or stock cubes for the salt. In the event that it’s getting louder I brush my teeth which often stops the trip to the fridge.

Have a good day. Just thinking, the gang in work will probably have chocolate and stuff for me today for my birthday so I hope I don’t fall into the clutches of the sugar dragon.

Day 5 – Lake district – NFD

Good morning everyone

Another big pocket list yesterday, we’re going to need deeper pockets and a bigger wagon! Hope it was successful for everyone.

Weigh in day for me today, despite a rather enjoyable food and drinkfest last weekend, bbq and drinks with friends, the 3 B2BFD’s worked well, no loss this week, but no gain either!
    I think thats why I really like this WOL. As long as you jump straight back ‘on the 5:2 wagon’ afterwards you’re OK, just make sure the time spent ‘on the 5:2 wagon’ is longer than on the BBQ and Bacchus bus!

Spent an hour at our local plant nursery yesterday, bit of a treat, we picked out some plants to fill in a gap or two (OK had to make a gap or two as well) and make some splashes of colour where it was needed. Like many, we’ve spent more time in the garden than ever, so might as well make it even better! Our visitors hadn’t seen the garden this year and were rather taken with my efforts, which is rather nice.

@penz – I refer to the dragon as my ‘Inner Warthog’
    Everyone knows what a Warthog is like, not a pleasant sort at all, if I think of myself as my ‘Inner Warthog’ face down in a trough of food and a vat of wine, totally out of control, it’s not a nice picture. But if I let him out of the cage occasionally, have him on a leash and under control he can just about behave!
    I don’t find a dragon as unpleasant as a warthog, think Pete’s Dragon? However, it works for me, along with calling in here every morning, my daily dose of inspiration.

Take care all

Day 5 FD Ire

Hello everyone, FD today . I tried to stay in bed longer to shorten the day but was restless. Just completed a list of tasks for the day to keep busy, it’s my best way of keeping my head out of the fridge. My real name is Deirdre by the way which is often shortened to Dee. I’m job hunting so trying to put time away for that. It’s so time consuming and you don’t even get a reply in 90% of applications. Will just plod away at it something will eventually stick in the mean time I’ll enjoy my garden and time with family.
    Take care x

Day 5 – UK – NFD

Yesterday’s FD went ok, a little over but not by much. Will trim what I have today to compensate.

Weight down which is positive.

I’ve been reading Dr Michael Greger’s book How Not To Die (there is also a cook book and a free app ‘Daily Dozen’). Interesting stuff. The app has a daily dozen of actions and 21 tweaks to do to achieve & maintain health & well being. One of which is weigh yourself twice a day. This I have never done but thought I’d give it a try. I can see the value of this for me. And you always drop weight overnight which puts me in a motivated frame of mind. Amongst the other actions he advocates for are Intermittent Fasting, staying hydrated & drinking Green Tea. Anyone else read his stuff? What’s your thoughts?

Take care, stay safe.

Day 5 – Ireland – NFD

@daffodil2010 I’m so glad you got to see your dad!!! 💕 I’m sure he missed you terribly during lockdown… it’s been such a tough time for the older generation 😢

My parents really didn’t notice much change as they have been cocooning since last year due to ill health but they have benefitted from more structured care from us and we had garda clearance to travel… for me that has been one of the many benefits of this lockdown… they also had their grandchildren visiting outside as they were all home from college..

I will be sad to leave today but I need sleep badly 😂. Mum roams the house at night and dad needs care during the night so it’s always broken sleep💤

Have a good day everybody 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I enjoyed reading all the explanations behind everyone’s handles. And it was odd to learn some real names! Jackie, you will always be Daffodil to me!

@dee22 – keeping my fingers 🤞 for you; hoping you find something soon.

Yesterday was a bit of a toughy by midday, probably because of the extra steps/exercise I’ve been clocking up. But I stuck it out, & only ate after 6pm. I guess my stubborn nature comes in useful for something!

So to answer today’s question, I guess that’s how I keep the hunger dragon/inner warthog at bay on FDs. Once I’ve made up my mind it’s a fast day, that’s it. Nothing will change my mind. I honestly can’t ever remember throwing in the towel on a FD. Sometimes I also use a technique I learned from the author Gillian Riley. I read her smoking cessation book years ago (highly recommended), and she’s also written at least one book on weight loss. She uses CBT, ie cognitive behaviour therapy. It’s not so easy to explain in a couple of sentences; but it’s the opposite of the way most people are advised to deal with cravings, whether it’s food or nicotine. Instead of distracting yourself, brushing your teeth, keeping busy etc, you focus on the craving/hunger. Where is it located? How does it feel? And you go over what she calls the ‘Outline’ in your mind, reminding yourself of your choices. You accept the craving/hunger, rather than wanting it to go away. Of course, eventually it does go away; but accepting it is the key. I know that all sounds quite simplistic, & it may not work for everyone. But I haven’t touched a cigarette for nearly 15 years, & I’ve yet to blow a fast day!

Having said all that, I’m really looking forward to a dop or three tonight! (‘Dop’ is South African for ‘drink’)

Go for it, Friday Fasters!

Pocket List – Day 5 🍓
    @dykask WFD
    @dee22

Hello, everyone. Getting on the June challenge wagon a few days late. FD today for me. So far have lost 6 # in the past three weeks, so things are going well, but still it is remarkable to see the ups and downs with daily weigh-ins. I weigh daily because it is a commitment I have made. From past experience, it works better for me than weekly weigh-ins.
    Love reading about everyone’s names! Mine was given to me by my son, years ago, when because of “non-competition” issues with my old medical group, I had to leave the area for a year and practice across the state of Virginia before I could return to my community to practice; hence, Dr. Exile. That was 20 years ago.
    Forward and creep downward, everyone.

Day 5 UK CD

Successful FD yesterday, making 2 for the week. Weighed in this morning still at 158 but I’m in this for the long haul.

Looking back at the tracker today I was last at this weight & size back in March 2018, a mere 4 months into my 5:2 career! That’s a kick to stay on the waggon if anything was needed, because this works.

@penz my go to with beating the hunger or temptation is to remind myself why I’m doing this – most easily done with something written out and stuck on the wall! And in the moment, it’s to drink a glass of cold fizzy water and remind myself I can eat it another day.

Thank you @penz @snowflake56 @songbirdme for well-wishes. Feeling pretty wiped & shaken today but going v gently and mindfully. Time toground myself & do what I know works – stretching, meditation, drinking plenty of water, eating healthily, sleeping well, minimising stress – and get the testing organised.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend of reading, resting and pottering in the garden again. Tomatoes to tie up, sunflowers to repot and calendula to plant out – and all so much easier in cooler weather 🙂

Day 5 – USA/GA – NFD

Gained 1.5 lbs today. Will have to be careful about keeping most NFDs close to “normal” amount of calories, especially with four in a row (I tried M/W FDs instead of my normal M/Th FDs this week). I take these fluctuations in weight with a grain of salt, because I know it is normal, and also I found that I’m the type that does like to weigh in every morning if possible. It keeps me on track and motivated.

One of the tendencies I have found since starting the 5:2 WOL is saving up my “healthy” food for FDs, since it gives me more options for higher quantities of very low calorie choices (along with the fiber and vitamins that come with it). But I am learning that the higher calorie healthy choices such as fruits, avocados, some peas, etc., are things I should try to include on my NFDs. Being from the South, my mind is separating FDs as practically vegetarian and NFDs as deep fried LOL! I’ll evolve. I’ll eventually do a healthy stir fry and other tasty recipes on FDs and incorporate those high calorie fruits and vegetables I love on my NFDs.

That’s the other part of the 5:2 WOL that I like. You’re not just doing some strange “abstain from this” diet. You have the weight loss, but you are also re-training your mind in a non-threatening way to start making your meals healthier and enjoying the taste of food — because you want to. You savor food so much on the FDs that it carries over to the NFDs, making you disappointed if you eat too much of the heavily processed, sugared up, deep fried stuff.

Day 5 Oxfordshire, UK CD

Aiming for a CD today. Possibly alcohol free too. I’m not sure yet.
    It was so nice to see my mum in person yesterday. We’ve been chatting over the internet and on the phone most days, but its not quite the same. Her early stages of dementia have not been helped by the lockdown. So some difficult conversations ahead.

@at – belated happy birthday.
    @michelinme – sorry to hear how awful you felt. Hopefully its nothing serious. Look after yourself, be gentle.
    @penz – thanks for the encouragement. Its feels as though I’m off the plateau. (don’t want to speak too soon).Aiming for a focused weekend so as not to sabotage myself.

Defeating the hunger dragon isn’t easy for me, so I definitely use distraction. I keep myself busy in a room that’s not the kitchen and I drink a lot of water. Sometimes hot water.
    The hunger dragon is different to an inner warthog for me. The IW is when I mindlessly eat, such as snacks and biscuits.
    I now try and adopt the phrase ‘everything in moderation’.
    Have a great day.

Day 5 UK NFD

having friends round for drinks in the garden this evening , quite excited as this will be the first time I’ve been face to face ( 2 meters apart of course ) with anyone other than hubby for 3 months !!

Aiming for a controlled weekend as I’ve learnt there are no cheats no short cuts

Day 5, UK NFD

The scales were kind this morning, showing a 2lb loss this week. I tend to weigh myself daily but only note my weight once I’ve seen it at least twice – in my mind that means it’s likely to stick. Absolutely no science attached to that, it’s funny the mind games we play with ourselves to get by.

Today I’ve factored in a couple of glasses of wine to get to my TDEE. I find it useful to plan my days on MFP in advance so I know where I’m going and also if I start to astray (as I did last Fri) then I know where I can cut down.

Our favourite restaurant in Chester opened last week for takeaway. So we’re treating ourselves tomorrow – I’ve ordered tartiflette as a starter, god knows how I’ll account for that on MFP, it’s probably the most calorific thing in the world, but so good. I’m really looking forward to it.

@songbirdme glad to hear your DH is home. You must be so relieved.
    @daffodil2010, happy birthday for tomorrow. My real name also dates me, Carol, apparently last year not a single baby was named Carol in the UK, so it’s also dying out.
    @dee22, good luck with the job hunting, it’s doubly difficult at the moment. I was out of work from mid December to May – so I know how you must be feeling.

Happy Friday everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 696 total)

You must be logged in to reply.