July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 617 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 619 total)

• Day 16- USA (NE TN)- NFD

Glad it’s a NFD. We are having a fabulous, fatty scrumptious pork roast today. It simmers away in the slow-cooker!

Strength today. Also, running the male teen around to biology lab camp to knock out the lab credit for Biology. The younger 2 are sick with the cold, but are well enough to do a bit of schooling today. With breaks of course.

I’m ravenous and ready to eat an enormous salad as soon as I feed the kiddos midday.
    Which is in a moment so I’m off to feed the herd as soon as I finish this post.

@songbirdme -Sadly I end up repeating that statement to my hubby multiple times a week. I do indeed mean well. Sigh…I just bungle it up sometimes.

@gretta -Maybe I’ll try the niacin. I already do the mag oil and while it helps with my Restless Leg, it doesn’t help with sleep. I keep my caffeine in the am and early PM but it doesn’t seem to help. I get less than 300mg I think. To help with my stupid Sjogren’s, I tried an elimination diet in which caffeine was one of the things to go completely. No help on the sleep front. I think I can mentally sense mice rustling 3 states away in my sleep or something. It’s nice to have a superpower, but I need to sleep and this isn’t a useful talent. LOL!

@ciren2 – SongBirdMe has it perfect. They test 4 subjects: English, Reading, Math, and Science. There’s an optional 5th: Writing (required by some colleges but not all), which she took this time. It’s a college entrance exam you have to get a minimum on to be admitted to university and is often used by colleges/universities and federal agencies to award merit-based scholarships. You can take it many times to improve your score but the cost adds up and it requires quite a bit of study as the questions are often deliberately tricky. So you have to take it to get in to college, and it’s nice if you do well because you get financial help. Mainly right now, as we’re planning on having her use a state-sponsored scholarship where she gets free-tuition for 2 years of a community college (2-year institution, associates degrees) after which she can transfer to a Bachelor’s program elsewhere, I mainly need her to get a decent English score so she can take a dual enrollment class to get credit for her final year English class AND Freshman Composition (at the collegiate level.)

@daffodil2010 -That’s crazy! I checked multiple times before I even made the 2nd post before whining about it. And now the first one is there. I think it just wants to mess with me to be annoying and encourage me to be annoying by complaining…like I need any help with that. Ha! I think I’m figuring this all out, so hopefully I won’t blunder upon any more issues.

Sending positive vibes to all the Pocket Listers today.
    Have a great day, all!

Hi @cheshire, and welcome. Anyone can join at any time! Most people here are doing the basic 5:2 diet. Have you read Dr Mosely’s book on that? Fast days (FD, two per week) can be all water if you like (WFD), or up to 500/600 cals. The other five days is: eat normally, NFD…non-fast day.
    Check in with us every day, if possible, head the post; Day 17 (for tomorrow), where you come from, (Cheshire, maybe?), and FD or NFD. I know you might be “Day 1” in reality, but stick with the date of the month, ok?
    Good Luck and good to have you.

Hi @cheshire, & welcome! I copied the below from the June Challenge; hope it helps you to decipher most of the abbreviations. You can add yourself to the spreadsheet. Good luck!

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    EFS Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days!)
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied
    DD, DS Darling Daughter, Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)

Day 16, VA, USA, FD B2B

Yesterday had leftover Chinese food for supper – my guess with the noodles it would put me over 500 calories a bit, but still managed to lose a little from the fasting earlier.

@at, @funshipfreddie, @daffodil2010 and @penz…w

Egg Fasting worked about the same as a reg FD does for me (weight wise) -5.6
    I’ve kept over 1/2 of it off…
    (I ate about 4 eggs a day the first two days and only 1oz of cheese. The 3 day I was satisfied enough that I only had water. So an unexpected WFD.)

Craving greens. teaching 5 classes today (in case you are wondering 5 yoga classes in a day is a lot) especially bc each one is at a different location.

Pocket List:Day 16
    @yo-yo
    @rabbette

2nd post

Good NFD today and checking in for accountability.

Welcome @Chesire, anytime is a good time to start. I have added your name to the spreadsheet if you want to update, and have a read of the first post on the first page of the July forum…it will give an idea of how things go. Any questions, just ask, somebody will help, it’s a good friendly group here.

@rabbette Oh my gosh, 5 yoga classes today…hope you get through them fine.

I confess that a little glass of red wine is before me as I sit on my patio, it’s 24c out here (glass covered patio), sun setting to the east, it’s an NFD after all…….so yup, @yo-yo fletch, TOTALLY understand the feeling of having something “nice” like a cider as the sun shines on these warm summer evenings.

I am normally Dry till Fri…but, it’s due to rain tomorrow and it’s my FD….so hey ho!!!

Have a great rest of day.

Day 16 Massachusetts USA FD How did we get to the 16th already? We had company yesterday so abundant food. Making today a necessary FD. It was hard for a couple of hours but I got over the hump and came in right at 496. I’ll do an MFD tomorrow (which I’ve been calling a CD, controlled day.) Just found out that 800 calories is an MFD. I do a lot of those. But being still at the upper end of my target range, I’m doing 1 FD/week for now. Onward and downward to all!

Day 16 Ohio, US — NFD (62 bites)

The NFD has gone well and I’ve hit all my meal time targets. Packing is still going on and they picked up the canister this morning. I haven’t heard anything about how the inspection turned out. I’m hoping that in this case silence is golden and that the two real estate agents are just working out the final details. Since the remnants of tropical storm Barry are supposed to drench the state tonight and most of tomorrow, I’ll have to delay my road trip to find a new place to live. So more packing tomorrow!

Hope you’re able to enjoy the light of the full moon wherever you are!

Day 17 – Melbourne Aus – FD

Monday’s FD ended at 620cal, and did a 6am HIIT class this morning, so have been rather hungry, so may have something similar today, will aim for 500 and go from there. Even if it’s a bit more I’m ok with that, as the body isn’t used to doing intense exercise before fasting, so it might take a few FD with exercise before it’s second nature again.

Thanks for all the words re: anxiety. Isn’t it terrible? I first notice it with an inability to concentrate. So need to be a bit careful and kind to myself over the next few days to get back on top of it.

@daffodil2010 My anxiety is (thankfully) mostly under control, though some days I can feel it buzzing (if that even makes sense!). Practicing self compassion has been my saviour, and when I do feel a bit jittery, it usually means I need to slow down a little – so I cancelled my violin lesson to give myself a night home relaxing. Feeling much better today 😊

@ciren2 @jaifaim thanks for the support. I have tried meditation, though not very compliant (even though it was very helpful) – so I make sure I practice mindful mediation whenever I am exercising (which is mostly daily), and slow purposeful breathing seems to help. Seems to be a good compromise.

@cheshire welcome to the challenge, never too late to join! Some helpful abbreviations have been posted on page 1 of the challenge which can be helpful.

Day 17: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Very quick call-in as, I have to rush off to work, which is bound to be busy….being a Wednesday!
    See you later….

Day 17 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Had a lovely evening last night, just one modest glass of wine on my NFD, no shock on the scales today. It’s my 2nd FD, and I have decided, for the experiment, to try a 1 day egg fast for my FD….just to see what happens.

Two boiled eggs and some cheddar cubes for lunch, and perhaps scrambled eggs with mozzarella for dinner. Let’s just see how that goes.

@gretta I understand how you feel when you say you can feel the anxiety buzzing, it is terrible. I really don’t know when it became an issue with me, well, I do, it was around 1999 when BAM, I was suddenly overtaken by the most crippling anxiety and panic attacks….I think something happened that my memory won’t allow me to remember yet….but the two years prior to that my engagement broke up and my brother died so I was ripe for something……anyhow, it took years of no help and suffering before I sought help. Twenty years later it’s all fine. Sorry to hijack, I hope you can work through yours and always, always, take that special time for yourself to work through it.

Gosh, I didn’t mean to blather on there.

We are a pretty quiet forum these days, hopefully those still with us are doing well and anybody struggling, well, just come on here for support and sustenance…….as a team we can only be stronger.

Boo, the rain has come, though @matpi I sure hope that you can stay safe from remnants of Storm Barry. You still have to look for a new place? Are you upping sticks and moving far? How exciting. 😄

@mogaman Yup, onwards and downwards to all to all (as we raise our dragon fighting swords in salute) 👍

Pocket list Day 17.
    @daffodil2010
    @gretta

Day 17 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Busy, busy! Happy Hump Day to all! 🐫

Day 17 UK NFD

Struggling to get in the groove , off to France on Monday to watch a couple of stages of the Tour de France I know getting in a couple of fasts beforehand would help but just don’t seem to be able to muster the willpower Will aim to be mindful …..

Day 17 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

B2B2B

It would appear I’ve been doing MFD not FDs (probably why I’m finding it so easy at the moment!)(thank you @funshipfreddie for the abbreviations) so now I’m a little confused between a 500Cal fast and a 800cal fast. I though the new research moved the calorie post to 800cals on a FD? or do most people find sticking to 500cals is just more effective?

Either way I’m not going to stress about it too much as I am making really good food choices and sticking with it – but now thinking I should drop to 500cals on my FDs. Any advise folks? I do have a long road ahead of me and I don’t want to trip myself up as right now I’m in the zone.

@daffodil2010 I usually don’t drink on work nights so I am ‘dry’ Mon-Thurs but like to enjoy a few drinks at the weekend. Our dog tries to pull us into the pub whenever we walk by (there’s a doggie treat jar on the bar!) I have discovered recently I enjoy soda and lime so now I often opt for this as an attempt to limit my intake! but….nothing beats a cider on a warm, hazy, summer evening

Pocket list Day 17.
    @daffodil2010
    @gretta
    @yo-yo

Day 17 – Cheshire UK – WFD

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

I have read Dr Mosley’s Book on the 5:2 diet and also his book on the 8 week blood sugar diet. I found them both Fantastic! My problem is portion size which is why I am trying a day of Water Fasting. The hopefully a day of less than 800 calories…. my idea is to alternate these days certainly for a week and then re-assess. Let’s see how it goes in reality.

Today I have walked my dog Charlie and am now doing house work, yuck! Well, clearly I’m not I’m on the laptop!

Tomorrow I am going to Tatton Flower show.

Good luck to all!

Day 17 USA (Illinois) NFD

Good day yesterday despite some McDonald’s as I was starving on a trip from getting a car looked at in Wisconsin. That’s where our dealership is. Yoga last evening was terrific. It is so beneficial for my back – I have 3 degenerated disks, so doing my best to avoid any serious treatment. Our yoga teacher knows what we need in this class.

@brightonbelle — I envy your trip to see the Tour! Maybe someday… who knows. Enjoy yourself.

@yo-yo — Chuckled out loud that your dog knows the pub has treats! Wow! What a temptation for you all to go in and indulge!

@cheshire – yes, this is a very warm and welcoming group. Consider yourself “one of us” as they say in “Oliver.” (To me, everything has a song.)

Onward and downward.

@yo-yo Fletch – re 500/600 or 800 cals; it comes down to personal choice really. I guess the fewer calories you consume on a FD, the quicker you’ll see results. As long as you don’t over-compensate on the NFD’s. On the forum, for clarification, FD still means the ‘classic’ 500/600 calories for male/female. And 800 calories is referred to as a MFD, or what Dr Mosley refers to as ‘New 5:2’. Some people can stick with 800 cals per day for several weeks, especially if they’re trying to reverse diabetes or if they’ve got a lot of weight to lose.

Day 16- USA (NE TN)- NFD
    Day 17-FD

The younger 2 are sick with the cold, but are well enough to do a bit of schooling today. With breaks of course.

I wrote all the following yesterday but it did not post, even though it said it did.

@songbirdme -Sadly I end up repeating that statement to my hubby multiple times a week. I do indeed mean well. Sigh…I just bungle it up sometimes.

@gretta -Maybe I’ll try the niacin. I already do the mag oil and while it helps with my Restless Leg, it doesn’t help with sleep. I keep my caffeine in the am and early PM but it doesn’t seem to help. I get less than 300mg I think. To help with my stupid Sjogren’s, I tried an elimination diet in which caffeine was one of the things to go completely. No help on the sleep front. I think I can mentally sense mice rustling 3 states away in my sleep or something. It’s nice to have a superpower, but I need to sleep and this isn’t a useful talent. LOL!

@ciren2 – SongBirdMe has it perfect. They test 4 subjects: English, Reading, Math, and Science. There’s an optional 5th: Writing (required by some colleges but not all), which she took this time. It’s a college entrance exam you have to get a minimum on to be admitted to university and is often used by colleges/universities and federal agencies to award merit-based scholarships. You can take it many times to improve your score but the cost adds up and it requires quite a bit of study as the questions are often deliberately tricky. So you have to take it to get in to college, and it’s nice if you do well because you get financial help. Mainly right now, as we’re planning on having her use a state-sponsored scholarship where she gets free-tuition for 2 years of a community college (2-year institution, associates degrees) after which she can transfer to a Bachelor’s program elsewhere, I mainly need her to get a decent English score so she can take a dual enrollment class to get credit for her final year English class AND Freshman Composition (at the collegiate level.)

@daffodil2010 -That’s crazy! I checked multiple times before I even made the 2nd post before whining about it. And now the first one is there. I think it just wants to mess with me to be annoying and encourage me to be annoying by complaining…like I need any help with that. Ha! I think I’m figuring this all out, so hopefully I won’t blunder upon any more issues.

Sending positive vibes to all the fellow Pocket Listers today.
    Pocket list Day 17.
    @daffodil2010
    @gretta
    @yo-yo
    @stardustdream

Have a great day, all!

Day 17 UK CD
    Day 11-16 UK EFS!

Hello All. Just back from my trip to Devon – a lovely time staying with old friend, sleeping, catching up and enjoying the sea. W

No FDs while away but my friend has a very healthy diet – 16:8, loads of veg, low carb – and we ate vegan or veggie all the time. I had a few drinks but mostly gallons of fizzy water and some lovely local ginger beers 🙂 Great treats – not least chips twice in one day! – but also lots of activity including a lovely swim

Post holiday weigh & measure this morning…. I’ve put 0.5″/1cm on my waist and hips, but weight is exactly the same as pre-holiday! I’d forgotten that when I last visited in April 2018 I actually lost 3lbs… Tho this time I’m further along in my 5:2 journey and had more treats 🙂

Skimmed thru posts to catch up but not held on to many details. Sad to see that @snowflake & @annemarilyn have left – I’ll really miss their warmth and wisdom. Delighted that @daffodil2010 has a just-about-finished campervan to make plans for! Pls do poke me if I’ve missed anything else..

Planning to do a first catch up with projects this afternoon but balancing with looking after myself, catching up with home & health things. Summer will soon be gone and it’s good to make the most of it – I foraged some lovely windfall wild plums on my way home yesterday so fruit seems to be coming earlier this year.

Looking forward to a CD tomorrow – out for the afternoon/evening with another old friend so my regular FD will bump to Friday. In the morning I’m off for a pile of x-rays – I seem to have damaged both left foot & right hip with holiday exuberance, and my early onset OA is making is rather making its mark too.

‘In a world where you can be anything, be kind’

Day 18 Melb Aust (very early a.m) CD

Have been MIA for some days, but finally getting back into the swing of things. Post-viral exhaustion is the main lingering problem; the asthma is well on the way to settling.

@ciren2, yes, over-65s get a free flu jab here, and it usually protects you against 3 or 4 strains of the flu (this year 4). I have it every year. Unfortunately, this year, one of the flu strains mutated after the vaccine was produced, so a LOT of people are getting the flu, a lot more than normal, and some folk have even died of flu complications. The hospitals are almost overwhelmed.
    For me – This is the second year in a row that I’ve had the flu shot, then later caught the flu, but prior to that – no flu that I recall as an adult, so up till 2018 I was very fortunate.

Apart from that, the effects of the cortisone have been wearing off, so no more fluid retention. I’m about 0.4 kg down on the start of the month, and mean to make the second half of the month one of good losses. Tried to catch up on posts – too many. CD for the 18th, FD on Friday.

Let’s go for a major downward trend everyone, to finish the month!

Day 15, UK, FD that ended as a NFD
    Day 16, NFD
    Day 17, FD

Hello everyone, been gone a while due to work being a bit maniac atm, so finding it hard to catch up. Been feeling pretty knackered, must book a holiday soon.

Had to abort Monday’s FD as OH planned a special dinner and ended up eating my TDEE at dinner time. Was lovely though!
    FD going well today, had 1 large black coffee and been drinking lots of water, had cherries for lunch and have a SW soup for dinner.

A bit of a random one: has anyone ever heard about body fat being able to store some toxins that we ingest, and that when we lose weight/fat these same toxins re-enter our blood supply? I remember reading it many years ago, not sure how scientific it is…

@stardustdream: Thanks for the explanation of the entrance exams. I hope your daughter passes with flying colours!
    @michelinme: Good that you can go on holiday, have no FDs and not gain weight. Pat on the back for you.
    @betsylee: Every year there’s a certain amount of guesswork about what to include in the flu vacs. I think we look towards Australia when we decide on ours as you get it first. Luckily most people get away with just a couple of flu bouts in a whole lifetime. I remember having it at 14…..but not really since, and I’m 65 now.
    @cheshire: I used to like water fasting…..no messing about with calorie-counting, eh?

Day 18, Aus, ?FD

Hello all

I’ve been offline with the flu/cold (dunno what it was). Still feeling foggy. I didn’t do my usual Monday FD and I’m still in two minds whether to do one today. Feel I should look after myself and get better first.

The 2.3 kg I lost last week on the egg fast seems to be back; but I do my usual weigh in on Friday mornings. It’s not been a good week one way or the other, so I won’t really be surprised to see those kilos back again.

What a great partnership @daffodil2010 – you plan, DH builds! Do keep us posted on your holiday; sounds divine.

Am catching up on posts but hope everyone’s travelling well.

Day 18 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

My last two NFDs were NOT good. On Wednesday I somehow demolished an entire Toblerone while I was watching a documentary about Harold Shipman, the UK’s most prolific serial killer😱. I’m staying away from the scales until after today’s FD. Major reset today!

@daffodil2010 – how did your one-day egg fast go? Eggs really do seem to be the ideal fast day food. They’re filling, have so many nutrients, yet so few calories.

It’s Nelson Mandela International Day today. A quote from the great man himself:
    “It always seems impossible until it’s done”.

Pocket List – Day 18
    @funshipfreddie

Day 18 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

@funshipfreddie 1 day Egg FD and although never hungry (worked in the van varnishing a wall until 20.30 without thinking of food), no change and no “movement” today.

Argh. I haven’t had fruit in a while so I better have some today to get the body flowing naturally.

However, I actually have toned down a lot, my arms look good in sleeveless tops, and I swear, those lines running down my abdomen are muscular. The Shred is working. So I take it I am building muscle and that is why I still lounge on Mt Plateau. That’s ok.

HIIT is recommended for ladies my age anyway to build up the bones, so if it means a lessening of the wobbly bits then happy days.

@penz and @betsylee Boo to the winter flu. Hope you both start feeling better.

@georgia83 Booking a holiday will perk you up no end. I booked our Spanish trip on Sunday and I have been in a high of excitement since.

Today is NFD, my stepdaughter is over from Manchester for a visit and staying with us tonight. We go out to our local restaurant for dinner and wine. Looking forward to seeing her, it’s last November since we saw her last!

Have a great day all.

Day 18 – Melbourne Aus – NFD

Kitchen closed at 650cal yesterday. It seems its about all I can manage some days – but better than nothing. Weighed in at 70.1, so I’m pretty much maintaining around 69.5-70.5kg, but can’t crack <69 goal. I’ll take that for now.

Got a call from mum today, my gran is likely not going to be around for more than a week or two, so probably going to take some time off work to spend those last few days with her. Will just see how I go fasting wise.

@daffodil2010 similar thing happened to me, renovating a derelict house and feeling very overwhelmed about the work we had taken on, newly engaged and going through a rough patch, troubles at work, and boom – panic attacks! I’m glad I went an got help, it’s literally changed me for the better into a much more resilient person. I’m glad you are on top of your anxiety – I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

@yo-yo-fletch the original fast diet book had 500cal (600 for men) for 2 days per week. The 800cal they suggest you can do every day for up to 12 weeks, then drop to 2 days or so once you’ve dropped a bit of weight. I try and stick to 2x 500cal days (though as I mentioned it’s sometimes a little more), but you just need to find what works for you. If you’re happy with 3x 800cal FD’s per week, then stick with that! Everyone is different, you just need to find a good routine that works for you 😊

@songbirdme 3 degenerated disks? Ouch!

@stardustdream definitely give the niacin a go (apparently good for skin and hair too – bonus!!) – @flourbaby got me onto it, and I’m a total convert!! It sounds like my nights sleep, always alert!! Grrrrrrr

Day 18 – Reading, UK – CD

Mr Mojo has wandered off again. Didn’t check in yesterday, and feeling less than enthusiastic today. BUT I’m am taking strength from you guys and @daffodil2010‘s toned arms and abs and convincing myself I CAN DO IT. Onwards and downwards …

Day 18 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD
    Day 19 – CD
    Day 20 – NFD
    Day 21 – NFD

B2B2B2B

@funshipfreddie and @gretta – I guess that makes sense, but sometimes it takes someone to say it to you! Thank you. I just need to find my groove 🙂

Last FD of the week for me. Busy weekend ahead. Need to be mindful on my NFDs – don’t want to undo all my hard work!

Pocket List – Day 18
    @funshipfreddie
    @yo-yo

Day 18 UK NFD

@ktcaroline He might have gone on a trip with mine x

Trying but not getting anywhere As I’m away from tomorrow I’m calling it a day for July but will be back and raring to go for August Good Luck all See you soon xx

Day 18: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD

Relieved (somewhat) to report that DD in Australia DID receive her birthday flowers and gift-card email yesterday, after a fright or two with the (expensive) flower delivery service! The mail, however, has let us down….the card I posted 12 days ago has not arrived. Tut! However long does it take to get a card to Australia via airmail??? She tell me the postal service is “erratic”. Not quite our good old Royal Mail then, eh?

Quite a busy day at work today….started off badly when the final delivery lorry from Bristol conked out in our yard….with our mail shut inside! Luckily one of our men managed to spot a disconnected earth wire between the cab and the trailer…..held it together with a broom-handle just long enough to enable us to lower the tailgate and get the mail out. Also, later, all our vans were just about able to get out of our small, cramped yard around the broken-down lorry to go out on our deliveries. The mail MUST get through.
    He had to wait for the RAC to fix the lorry before he could get on his way. All I know was that he’s gone by the time I got back off my delivery four hours later.

@brightonbelle and @ktcaroline…..mine has been on extended leave!

Day 18 UK CD

Checking in for accountability… friend has cancelled our tea date but my head isn’t quite there for putting my usual FD back in. Thus far I’ve had lots to drink plus an apple with peanut butter – carefully weighed or I’ll eat the whole jar!

Did mega shop to restock fridge, freezer & cupboard after hols. Lots of yellow sticker veg have gone into the freezer and i’m feeling hugely motivated to eat lots of salad & veg. Also plenty of apples, bananas & frozen berries to make some instant vegan icecream. The weather forecast shows up to 31C next week so plenty of fizzy water and light salads ahead.

Went for x-rays on foot & hip, now struggling to sit, stand or lie down bc conflicting pains despite both usual NSAIDs and some codydramol. Aiming for v early supper and an epsom salt bath, see how early I can get to bed & hope that something helps

Seems v quiet indeed around here… guessing most people are away or working hard.

@betsylee and @penz hope you feel better v soon – health first, then fasting

Day 18, VA, USA, FD B2B2B2B

I’ve let my FDs just roll one into the next since right now they are easy. I don’t mind eating the 500 calories.

I’ll have some good ol’ eating days coming up this weekend so no worries about fasting fatigue (which is soooo real) If I WF for several days in a row it is much hard to keep coming back to it. The one meal of broth is so balancing to me.

@daffodil2010 – I made it, but good grief I’m subbing a lot this week many teachers are out due to vacations and I can tel that I’m glad this is not my ‘normal’ schedule for teaching yoga. – – – did I read that correct you are back to egg fasting?! I’d be so done with eggs…ha I’m sorta Keto fasting. Meaning I’ve been reg FDs since Sunday evening and have made all of them kept friendly or low/no carb in general.

@brightonbelle – lately if I have been thrown off track from a fasting day, its been good to identify what is the cause… Is it someone else cooking and then asking me if I want some? Or is it that I didn’t make a plan for the day and just got hungry at the first whif of some tasty restaurant near by and then just WANT it? Once I am able to identify what is the “trigger” I think write out a game plan to help with ideas the next time the “trigger” happens. The thing I try first is to drink at least 8oz of water. If that doesn’t do it, I try a dash of salt under the tongue and then drink 8oz more water. Then I’ll try broth. – Its also nice if my SO wants to have a cocktail and I have a mocktail of fizzy water and lime slice. I still feel like I’m participating but without the calories! BTW have an excellent trip and worry not about fasting, it will be here when you get back.

@yo-yo fletch – 500 cal vs 800 cal (500 cal or less tends to work better (for women) if you are doing the 5:2) but 800 can work for some people. It would never move the weight off of me tho. If I have an 800 cal day, its not bad but I don’t lose weight. So you have to test it out and see what works for your body.

@cheshire – I too have problems with portion. I WF at the beginning of the day and have 1 meal which I measure the calories so that I have the correct size. (I don’t have to do it anymore, b/c now I know, but at first I measured and calculated my fasting meals b/c otherwise I would go way over)

@betsylee – I’m glad to see you back, asthma is down right hard.

@georgia83 – freaking love the expression “knackered” I must use it more! (Sorry you felt that way tho)

@penz – ugh the cold/flu glad to have you back and hope you are feeling even better.

@funshipfreddie – sitting down with the Toblerone would have me IN TROUBLE-RONE you are not alone. My trick is…. IF I want chocolate, I make myself a fancy plate with a little napkin and then break off the portion size (READ the calories, that usually helps me make a better choice) take 2 or 3 pieces set them out neatly on your napkin/plate. Then sit and watch the show. If I take a bag of chips/ or even a huge salad that I should save 1/2 for later. I will EAT IT ALL watching a show!. So my lesson for me at least, is just take the correct portion in while watching anything and/or distracted.

Pocket List – Day 18
    @funshipfreddie
    @yo-yo
    @rabbette B2B2B2B

Day 18 USA (Illinois) NFD

A good almost FD yesterday as I didn’t really eat anything until early evening, and then salad, tin of sardines, and crackers. But then I did have ice cream with the fresh raspberries my friend fixed for us. Mmmm….

Onward and downward.

Day 19, Aus, NFD

Checking in. I seem to have retained half the egg fast loss (ie. 1 kg down) so not complaining about that. Am planning an indulgent foodie weekend – cooking cassoulet tomorrow night. ’tis the weather for it. Then back to 5:2 next week.

Glad your daughter received her birthday flowers on time, @ciren2. And enough said about Australia Post! Stamp prices increase and service seems to decline.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Dsy 18 Ohio, US — MFD
    Day 17 — NFD

The MFD has gone well. Yesterday I was so wiped out by the moving hang up and packing that I took the day off, and just didn’t do anything. No organized anything at all. I pretty much just lay on the couch and watched grade B movies on TV. Usually I can watch TV only for a short while before I need to be up and doing something, so the couch potato scenario was probably a needed respite.

In any case the buyers finally got around today to mentioning what they were going to do about the home inspection on last Saturday. They have made a final commitment to buying, so now I have the green light to look for a place to live and set up the moving date with the moving company. This move is only going to be about 120 miles (193 km). Everything now needs to be done in less than 3 weeks.

Have a great end of the work week all!

Day 19: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

A very quick “hello”……or I’ll be late for work. It seems to be raining this morning, first time in….well….WEEKS, I think!
    See you later xx

Day 19 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I had eggs left over from last week’s egg fast, so I had my own mini egg fast yesterday. Along with some tuna and a little cheese. Despite my disastrous two NFDs this week, I’m still at my target weight this morning.

@matpi – Good luck with your move! I don’t envy you. 3 weeks…?! 😳

@rabbette – I normally don’t even buy Toblerones! But a friend had been going on about how good the dark ones are. And then I was traumatized by the evil deeds of Dr Shipman; that’s my excuse.🤪 But I will follow your advice in future – no sitting in front of the TV with an entire bar. I’m measuring/reading labels more too. What I assume is a harmless handful of nuts can turn out to be over 200 calories. It’s a minefield!

@yo-yo – good luck finding your groove! I’m still trying to figure out my maintenance groove. Mindful NFD’s, I’m sure you’re right.

How did we get to Friday already?! 🤔

Day 19 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Had a lovely dinner last night at our local restaurant with DH and youngest step- daughter. Had a good chat and a laugh, great to see her. Enjoyed the food and the wine. Today I have a lunch date with my friend who works with me, but I plan a healthy wrap or something. Nothing to eat until then.

Then it’s the weekend. We have the toilet and shower and kitchen ready in the camper, so tomorrow it’s the official first trip to try out everything and make sure things work (gas, electricity and water etc). I have booked us into a small remote lakeside campsite so that we can try out everything without being surrounded by expert Van-Lifers……we can make idiots of ourselves trying to put up awnings without an audience thank you ha ha 😆

@ktcaroline Mr Mojo does go walk about but at least popping in here is some kind of accountability and might provide inspiration so good for you. And yes, you CAN do it!!! Oh yes, you have volunteered to host August too………that might help……

@rabbette….no, I didn’t restart the egg fast, just decided to see how one day of eggs would work, but nah, won’t be repeating it again. I love eggs, but not all day every day. I will go back to the occasional omelette or egg salad methinks.

@ciren2 delighted your DD got her flowers. I giggled at the McGyver works in the yard to get the post out of the van…a sweeping brush saves the Royal Mail! We had rain yesterday, we must have sent it your way….oooops 😄

@matpi great news about your house sell. Have fun house hunting. In Ireland, a distance of 193km away is FAR AWAY. I love how distances are relative. There was @stardustdream driving three hours so her DD could take the exams, then driving back. Three hours would get you to the other side of Ireland, east to west! 🇮🇪

@penz, mmmmm, cassoulet. Never made it myself but have had it in France a few times, the most delicious one being in Carcasonne looking over at the old walled city whilst demolishing a plate of it. Mmmmm. Yikes, too early to be thinking of food!

I hope everyone is keeping fine. We are missing so many. @dykask hasn’t checked in in ages and he was a regular morning poster. I know it’s holiday time, bit hopefully the crew are still doing this WOL and everyone is well.

Until tomorrow ……

In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

Day 19 – Reading, UK – FD

I CAN do it! I CAN do it! I can …. Oh, it was PD yesterday, and despite lots of internal chatter about only eating half a pizza, I ate the whole bally lot. What a little piggy ….. So, I am taking strength from @daffodil2010 (who has a good memory as well as a good point) and going for a FD today. The weekend is full of visitors so unless I get a grip now I’ll be in flabby land forever. And I want toned arms too ….. Rainy here so thinking of all the posties out and out. Do you want to hear my favourite poem @ciren2? Onwards and downwards!

Day 19, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Hello all,

Since my last check in all of my days were NFD. I am still the caregiver of my elderly friends, now got both of them as she came home from the hospital Wednesday. I am staying in the second bedroom and helping with everything.
    My DH cooks every day for all of us.
    No time for fasting at the moment. It is too stressful.
    Hope you are all well. No time to read posts. Just wanted to let you know I am still here and thinking of all of you.

All the best to all of you!🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Day 19 UK FD

Trying my first post-holiday FD today. Yesterday’s CD was nearly a MFD but went south with peanut butter & apple after supper… just stopped at NFD levels. Clearly peanut butter is going to make it on to the Not At Home list as I’ve developed a bit of a habit!

@gretta so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope you are able to get the time you need to spend with her and you family xx
    @ciren2 well done getting flowers to DD down under. Hope you’re not too wet!
    @matpi congrats on your house sale – finally!
    @daffodil2010 good luck with your weekend’s adventures
    @ktcaroline happy to join you on a FD today …
    @redrockgirl302 all the best to you as support your friends, an inpsiring act of love and service

Day 19 Pocket list
    @ktcaroline
    @michelinme

Day 19, VA, USA, CD

I will be lying to myself if I say today will be a FD – because usually there is a drink or some kind of cocktail to be had later on Friday.

But hey if I surprise myself then cool FD maybe!

@daffodil2010 – lol awnings! My sweetheart and I have a very basic conversion van (no shower/potty) so you really have quite the luxury. and we usually set up a TARP with 3 tent poles as our awning. This past year is the first time we got the best looking awning shape from a 20×10 tarp. usually it works well but looks like the dickens! ha

@redrockgirl302 – you and your sweetheart rock! hugs to you both for strength during this time. Remember when you get a chance to also take breaks for yourselves.

@michelinme – totally understand the NSFH (not safe for home) mine is peanut butter filled pretzels (there are also chocolate covered ones) *seriously did they really need to go that far… none the less, crisp/chips of nealy any kind will also get me. funny enough I’m not a fan of just plain peanut butter (I thank the gods/goddesses everyday) I don’t like the smell of peanut butter – but I do LOVE it in things…. especially those dang pretzels! Good for you for putting the brakes on tho!!!!

@funshipfreddie – minefield! – Yup totally agree . or a MINDfield where my MIND wants ALL of it. I belive my mind is very much related to veruca salt.

What an awful delivery I’ve had! The RAIN….buckets! Soaked through to the skin, squelchy shoes etc. As I’ve commented before, Royal Mail waterproofs are NOT! Shoes are currently in the airing cupboard….will probably take several days to dry them out. Good job I have another pair to ruin tomorrow, eh?
    @redrockgirl302: Do take care of yourself xx
    @matpi: “only” 120 miles sounds quite a lot to me….but we live on a small island, so distance is relative, I guess.
    Good luck with the move. Three weeks? You have to be organised.
    @daffodil2010: Enjoy your first trip out testing the camper. I love the way you want to keep out of view of the “experts”! Ha…ha! Hope the weather is good for you.

Waving at you all as the waggon passes me. Sorry I vanished into thin air. This has not been my month for sticking to good intentions, and I am now going on actual proper holiday as well. So, best of luck to everyone, sorry to dip in and out. Enjoy the season and hope to have my ducks in a row to catch up with you soon.

Day 20: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD….as usual!

Flying visit before work. I do hope it’s a dry one.
    RAIN; posties NIGHTMARE!

Have a good day all, see you later xx

Day 20 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Sitting quietly at the back of the wagon, continuing my Monday and Thursday FDs and maintenance going well. I find it easier in summer, no problems drinking enough water.

When the road gets bumpy hang on tighter 🤗

Day 20 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Doing an extra FD today, to atone for my gluttony earlier this week 🎯

@rabbette – that sounds like a plan; you be Veruca Salt, and I’ll be Charlie Bucket – whatever gets us in the Chocolate Factory! 😋

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

Day 20 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Busy day today. Have to get some supplies in then off we go to the lake and our first camper trip. Woo hoo.

The rain yesterday was biblical, never seen it so heavy and there was even a funnel cloud near us for a short time. This is Ireland, we are well used to rain, but my goodness, yesterday was monsoon like. Plus, I had left my car window open just about half an inch after lunch to let some air in (stupid me as I have air conditioning ☹️) but the rain got in while I was at work and drenched the car seat and got into the works for the electric windows so I couldn’t push the window back up!! I was soaked driving home as my seat was drenched.

DH, bless him, fixed the window.

@rabbette Love the tarp idea. 😄 As for the luxury camper, yup, it is indeed. We plan to do serious long distance travel in it eventually (maybe even soon) so have a proper home to do it in. To be honest, neither of us thought it would take so long and cost so much but it’s ready now and we love it. Looking forward to our lakeside trip today.

Any hoo, I hope that everyone has a good weekend.

Day 20 – Ireland – NFD
    One good FD this week… that’s it… but better than all NFDs at least…
    Next week will have to be an epic reset for me 👍👍
    Sending you all good thoughts and strength to make good choices 💪
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 20 Melb Aust CD

Surprised this morning to find that I’m actually 0.8 kg DOWN from the start of the month, despite being ill. It’s a very happy feeling!

@ciren2, Australian mail is generally very good, BUT…. erratic at times. An American relative sent 2 Christmas cards in December 2 years ago, one to me and one for me to send on. The “to send on” one came in about 10 days, which for overseas mail is reasonable. I received nothing, and asked about it rather than get upset, to be assured there was a card for me, and they were both posted at the same time – mine arrived after 82(!) days. Weird, to say the least.

Thank you to the various wellwishers re the flu. It’s good to be much better, and I hope @penz that you are also recovering well.

I was interested to read of the flu vaccines in the northern hemisphere being produced dependent on what was happening in Australia previously, as here, the authorities generally say they are producing vaccines against whatever was in the northern hemisphere’s winter (six months before ours).

@daffodil2010, hope the trial run goes well with the camper. A good idea to test out all the systems.

@matpi, great that the house is definitely sold so you can move on to a new abode, though 3 week’s settlement seems an awfully short time for you to finish packing and be out. Do you have an interim place to stay, or have you already chosen the new home?

Happy holidays to the posters having a break – come back next month re-invigorated!

Keep on keeping on the downward trail everyone!

@betsylee: DD tells me the birthday card finally arrived today….meaning it took 14 days! Yet, another time, a letter reached her in a mere 6 days……as you say, weird!
    Royal Mail gets a thrashing if we don’t get the mail delivered on time, which means 1st class one day, and 2nd class 2-3 days.
    @missybear: So glad to hear that you’re still successfully maintaining; we need people like you to spur us on.
    @daffodil2010: !!!!!! oh dear….and, thank goodness for DH. I wonder if yesterday’s shoes (in the airing cupboard) are dry yet.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 619 total)

You must be logged in to reply.