If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 3,800 total)

• Good morning,I have to say I’m doing very well on my eating plan and was playing in my closet yesterday and was happily amazed that while I couldn’t even pull some dress on over my head, let alone step into them, I managed to not only pull them on over my head, but they almost fit, too. I have a ways to go, but I’m going.

Now, I don’t know if you recall I said my husband was joining me on my mission, and Lord have mercy, HE’S SURPASSED ME! He came downstairs this morning and his size 38 slacks were done up, but were around his hips and I couldn’t believe it! I asked him if he could move them down further and to my disbelief, THEY SLID DOWN TO THE FLOOR. These pants were done up!

So far, starting on May 18th, he went from 185.9 lbs. to 174.2 this morning and my weight was 182.9 to 176.2 lbs. The bad news on his grocery shopping trip yesterday, he picked up two bottles of my favorite red wine Layer Cake and I had a couple of glasses, so my silly butt steps on the scale this morning and I’m up 179.8 lbs., however, as disappointing as that may seem, I know it’s only alcohol weight and will dissipate shortly.

Men! He’s not even working out and I’m kickin’ the shi* out my body 4-5x a week with my workouts. It’s all good, because he looks sooo good. I look a hell of a lot better than I did last year, that’s for sure.

Yesterday, my workout was Fluidity, the ballet/pilates barre workout and it targeted muscles I wasn’t using with the Hip Hop Abs Extreme workout. Nevertheless, men always lose weight faster than women and I’ll just keep “pressing play” on my dvd player and continue eating healthy until I can start pulling tags off some of the clothes in my closet.

Have a great day, everyone.

Ladies (and gentlemen) I have just eaten bare naked noodles for dinner – a grand total of 16 calories for 200g which was loads! they smell quite strange when first opened…but once chucked in the frying pan and stir fried with a bit of soy sauce they were lovely. I think they are about to become a fast day staple….the texture was slightly rubbery compared to normal noodles, but otherwise perfectly acceptable!

All I have eaten so far today is the noodles, a tiny bit of mince – have to work that out in a minute on MFP website and a milky bar crisp roll which if you are desperate will pass for a twix….sadly just discovered they are 65 Cals per stick though, NOT 65 for two which was what I have been counting all week!

I have had a crap day and am currently fighting the urge to have a cheeky glass of wine….

Happy fasting everyone …weights and measures day tomorrow…gulp!

Hi, etherial glad things are going well for you. as for that hubby of yours, mother nature just isn’t fair to us females is it?? πŸ™‚ And, to bring home cake and wine, shame on him. πŸ™‚ my husband did something like that years ago when I started Weight Watchers. the first day he comes home with german chocolate cake!!! now this is a man that seldom eats sweets!! I’m sure you weight will come back down though. hang in there. πŸ™‚

Lynne, wow thanks for the noodle review, I haven’t tried them. oh, don’t you hate deceptive labeling? hope you are able to get through the rest of the day without too much difficulty. be sure to drink lots of water, I like mine with lemon, it helps fill you up. probably won’t get rid of that craving for wine. looking forward to hearing about how well you got on this week.

my fast day is going ok. weight and measure tomorrow too. hope everyone is having a good Fri. Phyl

HA! No, Layercake is the name of the wine and I drank it. This weekend, I’m a bad girl. I am going to Bikram Yoga next week to check it out. The room is 105 degree F and you do 26 yoga poses. This should knock a few of the “bad girl” calories I’m going to consume this weekend. Sunday, we are going on a wine cruise around SF bay with our favorite winery. I have to be a bad girl now and again and I’m going to ride that train until the wheels fall off, which will be Sunday night.

Monday morning, I am back on schedule.

Morning everyone….I can’t believe it….I am 3lb down from last Saturday! This is the first significant loss I have had in at least 4 weeks, and it will be surprised if the scales stay there, but hey I will take it!!

Not done measurements yet, the only thing I have done differently this week is be a bit stricter with the fast days…I am always over with calories, possibly up to 700 Cals as I drink gallons of tea and always have milk in it. But I think having the three fasting days does make a difference in that I can afford to be less strict.

Also I didn’t do any exercise this week as I wasn’t motivated at all…unlike me…I am now sitting in bed contemplating a run in the rain…boo! I may well put my bike on the turbo instead and do some intervals inside! I can hear thunder……humph!

PS I did resist the wine…but will make up for that this evening…definitely going to enjoy today’s feed day!
    How is everyone else doing??

Hi etherial, layer cake wine?? well that’s a new one on me, but I don’t really like wine so I don’t know too many. πŸ™‚ I say enjoy your weekend and back to serious on Monday! have fun.

Lynne, 3 lbs down in a week!!! very impressive!!! like you say it may fluctuate a bit, but enjoy your achievement!! And your feed day!!

I am down 1.4 lbs this week since Monday. it’s the first time I’ve seen a 130 anything in a LONG time. LOL. haven’t measured yet, thought I would weigh and measure officially on Monday since that is when I started the experiment to see if I could go lower. I had settled in at around 137-138 for a couple of months. very happy to see 135.4 lbs this am.

sending everyone wishes for a great week. Phyl

Crikey! You are all doing very well.

I am the same weight and the same measurements, BUT wore a skirt that I have never been able to do up. Which is rather fabulous as apart from my walk to work and home, there has been no running or dancing.

I am chained to my laptop with a deadline fast approaching, complicated by a 5 hour round trip to collect a son home from uni yesterday.I found fast days last week made it impossible for me to concentrate, so it will just be one next week after the deadline has passed.

I shall have to use all brain power on this essay and then focus once more on the body beautiful!

Annette, congratulations on the skirt!!! sounds like you have your hands full with your essay, I think you have done well this week. you may be in a “body adjusting to new weight” period and the weight will start to drop soon. for now, just get that essay done and celebrate your achievements!

I shouldn’t have bragged yesterday, I had one of those days I ate all day long. back up a pound today, but that’s ok. I won’t be watching my intake today either. it’s my 40th wedding anniversary. going to be some serious cooking and eating today. πŸ™‚ so I’m off to start, wishing everyone a great week. Phyllis

Congratulations on your anniversary! Wow, that is a long long time.

I seem to have been in body adjusting to new weight period for 3/12. But a little while to go and the I will be at the gym and running when our 12 week programme for our Half Marathon starts.Hopefully, that will trim and tone some off the hips and tum. I was hoping to reach goal at the end of the 12 weeks.

I am in cake-eating/chocolate scoffing mode with this essay. On the plus side I am not in complete despair, but there are some hours to put in this evening yet.

Have a great week everyone. I will not surface until Wednesday.

Hello everyone….

Oh my goodness…..I need to detox after this weekend (which I have thoroughly enjoyed!) we went to stay with friends at RAF Benson and on Saturday I just ate and drank whatever I wanted, which consisted of muffins, curry, crisps and almost all of a bottle of white wine (yum!) the weather was glorious and it was great to have a catch up.

On Sunday the men entered a 10k run and went off to do that first thing in the morning (great hangover cure apparently) I had a hangover breakfast of huge pieces of toast and jam and copious amounts of tea. I didn’t eat to badly for the rest of the day, but did have a really nice coffee n cream ice cream at Henley on Thames. We had lunch at Wetherspoons and I was impressed with the brilliant menu, we had a super foods salad which was gorgeous.

When we got got home at 7pm I went out for a 6 mile run in the sunshine …I felt I had to do something to burn up some of Saturdays 3000 calories eaten! It was really lovely…I don’t often actually enjoy running but all the food and alcohol seemed to provide great fuel and I ran it like a dream, plus changed my route and added in quite a few hills.

I haven’t dared weigh myself! Will wait until next Saturday, and didn’t have time to take measurements or try on clothes either. I can feel that I have retained water…my fingers were really swollen after the run, so I know the 3 pound weight loss will not show today.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement….it’s a fast day today and I have woken up ravenous! Hope yiu all have a great day. Lynne

Phyl and Annette..well done on the weight loss…I dream of being under 140 lb! And the skirt!

Annete52, I’m trying to walk my dog, walk around the neighborhood and eat healthier. I also participate in gymnastics once a week. Is there anything else I can do to try and make this better or am I on the right track?

Hi all, hope you are all happy and well. I totally agree with the idea of not concentrating too much on the scales. If I had depended on the scales I would have given up several weeks ago , as they have barely moved for a long time. However, whats important to me is that my waist is down from 36 to 31 inches with the new measurement being less than half my height, my hips are down from 42 to 37 inches, my upper leg is down from 23 to 21.5, and my chest is down from 34 to 32. This is nearly 14 inches. Im so very glad that I discovered the measuring tape!! The scales are misleading and inaccurate!! I have started to wear belts again so that my new shape is clearly visible. GOOD LUCK with the measuring girls and guys!!

Wow, Kindle, that’s truly amazing. I love success stories. I tried to go back to my nightly two glasses of delicious red wine, but the urge or habit when I cook dinner is gone. Well, at least for now. I don’t have the desire.

…hummm, now that’s really strange; for me anyway.

Have a wonderful evening everyone and keep those success stories coming!

Hi everyone,sorry. I haven’t posted. My computer broke and I just got a new tablet and am still learning how to use it.hope everyone is having a good day.
    Linny, you are doing so well. You’ll be seeing great results I know.

Maggie,sounds like you are on the right tract to me. Annette had an important paper due,so she hasn’t been here the past few days, I expect she will be here with suggestions and an atta girl soon. Hope you will keep us posted on your progress.

kindle,well done you!! I think judging our progress by how things fit really helps when the numbers aren’t cooperating. : ).

I’m proud of us all,for our efforts to get healthy. I love how supportive every one is of each other. Wishing you all a great week. phyl

Hello Fast Friends!
    Essay in, deadline was Thursday night and I not slept much all week. I was either burning the midnight oil or waking up at dawn thinking about it, so I have been fueled by chocolate and cakes. This has to stop, or I will be huge again!I am not sure whether to even bother with the tape and scales tomorrow, it is not going to be pretty. On the upside I have looked at all my clothes and come to the conclusion that the summer skirts don’t have tops that match/are smart enough for work.So I think that I might do spot of shopping over the weekend to see if I can find a few tops that will make it work, and a couple of summer dresses that will be smart enough for work and jolly enough for play.
    The 12 week half marathon training comes into play next week when my son returns from holiday, which will be 3 gym sessions(Mon,Wed,Fri) plus a long run at the weekend.Fast days will have to be Tuesday and Thursday, I am not sure how to fit the studying in as well.

linnypinny, sounds like you are doing well.Let know how the weigh and measure goes tomorrow.
    Maggie101, the best thing that you can do is increase your exercise. If you can get a pedometer and aim to walk 10,000 steps each and every day you will find that you will burn lots of calories and build muscle(which will burn more calories).On the basis that many of us will only manage 3000 steps, it is quite a commitment, but walking is fabulous at whittling down your waist too.The other thing that I keep going on about is that weighing and measuring once a week and trying on all of your clothes, is the very best way of getting a true picture of what is going on with your body.Also, as you weigh less, your calorie needs diminish too. So be mindful of that as well.It sounds like you are on the right track, but it would help if you did more, so why not see how many steps you take now and then see if you can take 10,000 each and every day. In fact I think it would be useful to see how many I average a day as well.

Well done Kindle. It makes such a difference when you ‘see’ how much you have shrunk.Congratulations on your waist now half your height. I have another 4ish inches to go to reach that holy grail.I too would have given up if I hadn’t seen that the body was shrinking, which was why I started this thread in the first place.

etherial, interesting and other folk have also commented on their ability to drink wine diminishing. I hope that it might happen for ice-cream!

Phyllis, glad you are back.

I will post tomorrow.

“I am chained to my laptop with a deadline fast approaching…” How many times have I written an almost identical sentence, Annette. That’s what MAs and the like are all about. Well done for finally delivering the essay. Isn’t it a great feeling? As for the chocolate and cakes, they are simply brain food and you need nourishing as you do your “marathon for the brain”. I think it’s a case of allowing yourself to fall off the wagon for a few days when you have an assignment to complete.

As for me, I’ve only got one more, but it’s the biggie – the final 15K word dissertation. Although the deadline is 29th September, I’m already getting a lot of research done during a sudden quiet period in the day job which has been hectic up to now. It’s taking me in directions I hadn’t even thought of, which is part of the fun.

Good luck to you and all the other 5:2 athletes as you prepare for your next challenge. Our family runner was very chuffed a few weeks back. Not only did she achieve a personal best for the half-marathon, she was also the first ‘female veteran over 35’ to cross the line.

Hey everyone…hope you are all having a good week. I had to resist the most amazing looking cakes at work today….I am surprised I managed to say no….my will power seems to be better these days.

I have another very low calorie recommendation for you all…..slim rice! You can get it on amazon….actually it is more like noodles cut into rice sized pieces…I had them with stir fry and put a couple of eggs in for protein…..very acceptable, and the rice was only 14 calories for 200g…which is a LOT.

So I am now able to eat rice and pasta on my fast days…which means I am getting a decent meal at dinner time, and if feel a lot less deprived.

I had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and think I have put 2 of the 3 lb back on! Blame that on a boozy weekend! I will check tomorrow and may do a half fast day tomorrow as well…..really to offset Father’s Day where I will defiantly be having a very boozy pub lunch!

On the plus side my clothes feel looser and I think I can see less tummy in the mirror!

Annette good luck with the running….I did 6 miles last Sunday and will do 7 this weeknd before the boozy Sunday lunch!

Kindle well done with the waist measurements! I can’t remember when my waist was less than half my height! Probably never!!!

True that! I don’t know why my scale is stuck on “stupid.” I’m sticking to my eating plan, but to my surprise, my abs are smoothing out. I mean I have a flat stomach for the first time in years.

I’ve taken a break from the Hip Hop Abs Extreme workout and am doing Fluidity 3x a week and will bump that up to 4x a week.

Congratulations to everyone on their shrinking bodies. Next week, since I didn’t take measurements prior to starting the fast program and now the 6 week body makeover, I’ll start next week and do it on a regular basis because something is happening.

Take care.

Hello, my fast friends!!!! Been awhile since I’ve checked in. But I’ve loved reading everyone’s posts. So much to catch you up on! Oh my.

Welcome to all who’ve recently joined us!

I loved @etherial‘s comment several posts back, “now on to my favorite topic…me!” Haha!!! I’m paraphrasing, of course. But so funny.

It has been about 3 weeks since I’ve fasted. And boy can my body tell it!! Oh my. I decided to take a break simply because I had so much going on. I couldn’t keep up. I was studying for & took my test for my group fitness certification. I was so unbelievably stressed about it! Like you, Annette, I indulged too much as I dealt with my stress. Anyway, it takes about 4-6 weeks to get my results. (Tomorrow marks 2 weeks.) I think I passed the practical part of the exam but the written part was very difficult. I truly believe I will have to retake that portion.

I also haven’t fasted much because not only am I teaching classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays, but I’m also subbing for other instructors when they need to miss. Last week I taught so many classes I don’t know when I would’ve fasted!!! One day I taught my normal boot camp, which is a very hard hour class, then went home & choreographed a routine for an evening class, then went back to the gym & taught that 1.5 hour class. Probably a good 3.5 hours of exercise that day!

Despite all my exercise, inches have returned. I’m anxious to begin fasting again & hope I can start next week. I’ve got to get this under control! So close to my goal, I’ve got to get back at it.

And now I go back to watching the World Cup. We spent the day swimming…well, the kids were swimming. I was either poolside getting sun or throwing a tennis ball for the boys to catch while performing fancy jumps. Ha! So now I’m ready to get caught up on the World Cup!!

Morning Fast Friends,
    As predicted the scales are up a lb and the inches are the same. Having a good look through my clothes that actually fit well, I spent the morning in town looking for clothes that I liked and fit.It was a good job that I left home with low expectations.So thanks to on-line ordering, I am expecting a delivery today!
    hermajtomomi,
    Good luck with the research, that is an awful lot of words.I was only thinking yesterday of all that I have learned since starting this course…and it’s loads.
    mommabear,
    Exciting times with all that exercise too, so close to goal as well.
    etherial,
    stupid scales are what I have too. But like you, my stomach is in the best shape that it has been for years.So, we keep going.
    linnypinny,
    I feel a bit sluggish having not run for a couple of weeks and I am also rather scared at starting this 12 week programme. It is going to be tough, fitting everything in.
    I am going to have to construct a 2 week menu that I keep rotating. Speedy things that take 10 mins to feed the chaps, after I am back from the gym. Things I don’t like when it is a fast day.

Morning everyone…today is weights and measures day….

Weight has stayed the same since last weeks 3lb loss (that’s fine at least I seem to have consolidated the weight loss…often it seems to go back on again!)

Measurements:
    neck lost 1/2 inch
    Chest lost 1.25 inches (back fat!)
    Thighs lost 1/2 inch
    Bust lost 1.5 inches

Etherial I have done insanity a few times a love it….I got fitter doing that than pretty much anything else.

Annette well done with the essays, I hate writing them! And just take a week at a time with the running…I am only getting out once a week, but will keep adding on a mile a time…I tell myself to take it easy and walk if I need to and that seems to take the pressure off. Plus good music helps.

Momabear welcome back…I have enjoyed your posts!

Hi Annette started the 5:2 diet a week ago today and managed to slip an extra fasting day in during the week so managed 3 on my first week. Today will be my 4th fast day. I got weighed yesterday and looks like I lost 2 lb I’m pleased but the trouble with me is I do well for about a month then my old habits start creeping in and the weight goes back on.
    I hope you don’t mind me joining your chat forum yours and other peoples posts have kept me going this week and I think I would get the support and encouragement I’ve never had before.
    Your all an inspiration to me and I think your all doing so so fantastic, I hope to be getting good results to report soon
    Thanks for letting me join your conversations Adele x

Hi Adele,
    You are most welcome to join our merry little band.Do measure all vitals and check them once a week, along with a clothes try on and the scales.I was a Muppet and forgot to measure my upper arms and have regretted it ever since.When I started this way of life in January 2013, I remember reading about 1 woman who never lost a lb in 3 months BUT dropped 3 dress sizes! So don’t give up if things don’t seem to happen some weeks, 2 lb loss is likely to be exceptional, a lb loss is much more likely. A week isn’t very long but well done, it does get easier as time goes by.

I am a different woman, literally and I like it.

Linny pinny,
    Well done on the inches lost and the running. I am in awe that you have done the insanity thing. Is it impossible to keep up?

Hi I’m really struggling today, I’ve only had 100 calls but I’m just thinking about food all the time and watching the clock to see if it’s late enough to eat.
    I’m feeling really hungry and if I’m honest fed up with feeling like this. Sorry I’m sounding really negative arnt I just feeling a bit down today I guess πŸ™
    Will keep reading all your posts and try and draw from all your successes and advice
    Adele

Hello
    Some really good stuff here.
    Annette could delegate a bit more πŸ™‚ ,Β  but I never managed to do that bringing up my two boys – too soft me.
    Dellyg
    For me, I can only fast with 0 cals.
    Lately,Β  I’ve tried to start the day with a milky tea, but even those cals have led to a let down and often a total fast-cancellation.Β 
    Very hard to do, but on Monday I’ve reallyΒ  got to make the effort – pass the water please! (and nothing else )
    Cheers

Why not have two boiled egg whites and 1/2 cup of low sugar berries? Or some berries with non-dairy cheese? The cheese is only 70 cal. a slice and the berries is 40 cal. I even saute my egg whites with the non-dairy cheese and add a ton of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes. The vegetables are free foods.

Please don’t starve yourself or give up. There are ways around this. I will be more than happy to share some almost zero calories meals and snacks with you.

I couldn’t handle the fasting, except when I was in school and school is over for me, so I have time to contemplate and contemplating leads to searching to fill a void with food. I incorporated exercise in my new lowfat eating plan and I’m not hungry at all during the day. As a matter of fact, my scale is still “stuck on stupid”, but my body is shrinking and that, I love.

Eat small things every 3 hours and drink water with lemon, Co2 (seltzer), or plain.

Hi Etherial thank you for your great advice, I seemed to manage better last week when I was at work but today just seems really hard and my stomach is hurting with hunger even though I’ve now had almost 400 calls in healthy food.
    I’m just worried I won’t be able to last long on the 5:2 if I’m feeling like this after just 1 week and 4 fasts. I don’t really have much to lose (20lbs) but losing it will make such a difference to my clothes and confidence.
    I’ve never been able to lose weight particularly fast and get scared I’ll give up too soon. The worst bit is going to bed feeling hungry the stomach ache just isn’t very nice and I find I can’t sleep too good. I’m so sorry I just feel like I’m moaning, I’m not honest just really desperate and I’m just on a real low at the moment. I’m a single mum of 2 teenagers both doing A levels so their quite stressed too at the moment.
    And I work full time as a senior admin officer in a primary school (now I’m waffling haha)
    Will report back in again soon
    Thank you so so much for taking time out to reply and help me, can’t begin to say how much it means. Adele πŸ™‚

Hi Adele,
    Poor you. How about a tin of soup? It may be 200 cals and may take you to 600 cals, but it won’t matter in the grand scheme of things and you do need to sleep, and not have tummy ache. It is very stressful having teenagers and exams.

Why not plan your fast days when you are at work and busy? That is why many of us don’t fast over the weekend at all.

Remember Adele, this is for life and must work for you too.I did get very fed up with leek and potato soup, but it did fill me up, even though I moaned that soup should have bread to dip in it!

I find that lettuce is a good filler with tomatoes, cucumber and a salmon fillet sprinkled with chilli flakes wrapped in a foil parcel and cooked for 18 mins(gas mark 4). Salad must have dressing so use half quantities of the mixture-2 TBsp olive oil, 2 tsp white wine vinegar and 1 tsp dijon mustard-good shake in a jamjar with lid on.Keep us posted Adele. We have all been there and do sympathize.

Delly, believe me it DOES get easier! I found the first month was very tough and the first week I never stuck to 500 calories.

Take a day at a time, and if you feel faint or ill I find a bit of sugar helps. Other things that are good are low cal cup a soups, tea, hot milk n a small sugar, yoghurt. My biggest tip though that gets me through is to NOT eat at all before at least 2pm…once I start it is much harder to stop and I would use up half my calories by lunch time and then not have enough left to get me though the evening and night.

Also diet fizzy drinks help…if you have to eat something just do it, and have a little less on your feed days to compensate. If you are fasting three days per week you will find you can be a bit more flexible than the two day fasters. Have a read of my previous posts about slim rice and naked noodles…these are a life saver! I now make up a big stir fry for dinner and eat half about 6pm which fills me right up and then the other half about 9.30pm and this gets me through the night!

The next day I don’t even wake up hungry. Remember it the calories over the whole week that count, not the ones on each individual day, so don’t beat yourself up and give yourself time to settle into this way of eating. It does work very well, but your body needs time to adjust. Mine is getting there after 10 weeks.

Good luck! Lynne

Hi Lynne and Annette
    Thankyou for talking time to help me, I’ve just had a tin of low fat soup and it seems to be helping. Think today just been a bad day in general daughter was at an England game party last night and son was up late watching the game so I feel like I didn’t sleep much then I was up at crack of dawn.
    So promise tomorrow will be a better day, going to fast again on Tuesday and Thursday next week. Talked a couple of people into trying it at work on those days too so will hopefully have support there too.
    Going to have an early night tonight
    Thanks again ladies your help makes me smile.
    You both keep up the good work too your an inspiration πŸ™‚

Dellyg, you are welcome. I know it gets better as you get used to it; I got used to it as if it wasn’t happening anymore. Some days are harder than others and on those days, it’s always good to stay busy, drink tea and/or water, incorporate exercise.

Good luck.

Hi all
    Another fast day for me tomorrow, hope I manage and feel better than Sunday.
    I’m at work tomorrow so should be easier, going to try Thursday too try get another fast day in so doing 3 instead of 2 to hopefully try lose a bit faster.
    I’m also hoping the diet my improve my IBS but I doubt it will, but who knows fingers crossed.

How is everyone else doing hope your all well. I always look forward to getting home from work and reading all your great posts

Have a great week
    Adele

Like several 5:2-ers I have experienced no weight loss but looser clothes, however my husband lost half a stone in a couple of weeks – typical! My husband has Type 2 diabetes and following routine blood and urine tests last week was told that his blood sugars are significantly lower than they were. We can only assume that this is due to the 5:2 diet!

Hi and congratulations to your husband!

This will explain why such good results, and how IF, along with diet, is being used to ‘cure’ type 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZ4UqtbB_g

Hi without sounding too stupid is anyone able to explain how people on 5:2 manage to lose inches but nothing on the scales. In my head these 2 things usually go together.
    Hope I don’t sound too stupid
    Adele

Hi Adele…this can happen because muscle weighs a lot more than fat..and is a lot more dense…therefore 1lb of fat will take up more room (inches) than muscle.

It is possible to put weight on but lose inches if you burn up fat but replace it with muscle…

I don’t know the exact ratios of all this, but I do know a lot of people myself included will build muscle through increased exercise and sometimes put on a few lb, but will shrink inches at the same time. Don’t beat yourself up over the scales….it took me years to realise this!

I am sure someone reading this thread can give a more scientific explaination!

Lynne

Hi Dellyg:

It can happen if you are exercising a lot.

Another explanation is water weight. The body can keep or expel two or more pounds of water on a daily basis. So if you are losing fat, you will lose inches, but if at the same time you are retaining water, you will not lose weight.

As an aside, water retention explains a large majority of ‘plateaus’. If you weigh on a day when you are low on water you will get a great reading. But if the next time or two (which could be measured in weeks, not just days) you are hydrated, it will appear you are not losing weight even though you have been good on your diet and are losing fat.

Stay on the diet and be patient. It really works!

Good Luck!

Linnypenny, not to sound boringly scientific, but muscle and fat weigh the same. If you have 5 lbs. of fat and 5 lbs. of muscle, you have 5 pounds each. However, and this is the fun part, 5 lbs. of fat will take up more space.

Same with a 5 lb. bunch of cotton and a 5 lb. steel cylinder. The cotton is going to be spread out all over the place, but the cylinder will only take up its circumference.

You can also compare two people who weigh the same, but one works out and watches their diet, while the other eats anything and anyone. However, even though they may weigh the same, the one who exercises and diets will wear a smaller size.

Thanks for your attention and hope I didn’t get too boring.

Take care

Etherial….a much better explanation!

Thank you…. And the water weight is interesting….I have noticed that after hard exercise like a run, I have more swollen fingers and my feet get hot and swell a little bit too.

I also retain more water in warm weather, and again notice it when my rings are tight on my fingers. So I guess this can affect the results on the scale….

I have a friend who wants to start 5;2 and I must send her the link to this thread as she gets really demotivated when the scales don’t budge!

Have a great day everyone!

Lynne

Just google what 5 lbs of fat looks like and you will see how different 5 lb of muscle looks. No-wonder it takes up much less space!

My goal is to lose another 4 inches off my waist in the next 12 weeks, half marathon training starts tomorrow and is going to be very very ugly.

Not the best of fast days, I will be over my calories BUT I will also be dancing for 3 hours later so I hope that helps.

Annette, you should wear a heart rate monitor when you dance….I bet you use up loads of calories….do you have a fitbit or step counter? I would definitely be including those calories in my daily allowance! You will easily be under your net calories today!

Hope you had fun

I can’t remember who posted it, but someone mentioned IBS. Have you ever tried taking magnesium? I mean the supplements, not like milk of magnesia. I’ve been taking 1000mg of magnesium every night for about a year. My IBS has all but gone away. I still struggle when I travel, if I’ve eaten lots of processed foods or just gotten off my daily routine. But it has been an amazing discovery for me!

I managed my first fast day in almost 3 weeks on Saturday. I felt very good that day, and not the irritable self I had become after 9 months of consistent fasting. I think my body has needed a break. Sadly, I’m heavier now than when I started IF 9 months ago. And this is the heaviest I’ve been in years. But I do believe that most of it is just hormonal water weight & retention from not being disciplined over the last 3 weeks. Ironically, my shed inches are mostly still gone so it doesn’t feel like I’ve gained weight!! Crazy.

I’m counting my calories on my non-fast days, hoping this really helps get me back to where I was. Right now it’s a struggle!!! It’s summer & with 3 kids at home, constantly eating, I find myself hungry at times I never eat!!! I usually eat breakfast & lunch & skip dinner. But right now I’m sitting here starving!! Good grief.

Hope everyone is doing well!

OMG I have had SUCH a horrible week! Everyone at work’s stress levels are sky high…..it’s a fast day today which really isn’t helping…in fact I have just binned a small portion of sticky toffee pudding because I KNOW I will be eating it later!

I am desperate for a glass of wine….yes I know I sound like I have a problem! But trying to keep within my calories, so have opted for a glass of brandy instead.

Anyone know what calories to count for vodka? On MFP it says zero?

Hope everyone else is enjoying the sunshine and is more chilaxed than me!

Linny:

I admire your attempt to stay within your calorie count, but I would have a glass of wine. Diet another day!

But, to answer your question (and it depends on which site you go to, but I will give the lowest so you feel better) Vodka – 1 oz 80 proof 65 calories (same for brandy). Higher if 100 proof or a different site. Note, one ounce is not very much. In a bar, shots are usually 1.5 ounces. So a double is 3 ounces.

Good Luck!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,001 through 1,050 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.