If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 3,800 total)

• Hello Fast Friends,
    I am rather fed-up.I have found some shirts that were too big for me last summer(in a bag for charity)and now they fit!That is useful on one level as I don’t have to get any new ones but has really made me think about that 10 lb that went over the month of December.I have shifted a measly 2 lb and several inches, but still…

I have a cold, ran a 10K yesterday in the very hot sun and have decided to rest from running and no fasting for a week.The plan is then to set myself the challenge of 4 weeks and to see what I can achieve in either weight or inch loss or both.Another inch off the bust and hips would make the world of difference to my clothes, and probably how fast I can run too.

Why oh why do we set “targets” in terms of weight! It is so silly in the long run none of us walk round with our weight hung round our neck. Everyone can tell when you go down a dress size rely on inches not scales, too many diets fail because weight in women in particular fluctuates so much.
    This diet does work but I think more on inches than weight, I am quite petite and weight wise am not too bad but wanted to lose inches and that is exactly what has happened. Once a week is more than enough to chart progress!

Well, it appears everyone is having just as busy month of May as I am!! Crazy. I’m not one who wishes for time to fly…but I’m anxiously awaiting June 1. May is chaotic. My kids will be out of school end of May & we can relax! And swim!! And no more school field trips, end of the year parties or obligations. Ha.

Annette, sorry that you’re sick!! And about the shirts that now fit. I’m in a similar boat…I’m still up 7 pounds from where I was before Christmas. And I’m also frustrated with my fast days. I’m starving & miserable towards the end of the day…& I’m experiencing terrible nightmares the night of my fasts. Anybody else have that issue?!?! (I was up at 4 this morning checking on all my kids & still panicked after realizing everyone was fine.)

I’m considering changing things up. I am now considering a form of ADF, but instead of 500 calories…which I can’t do every other day…try consuming 750-1000 calories 3 days a week. Then eating normally the other 4. Is this crazy? I just think my body needs a change. Clearly I need to shake things up!!! Yesterday was a fast day & I had around 750 calories. Today I had 1600…& I’m starving. So we shall see how I do tomorrow.

I’m also ready for a change in my workout routine. I’m trading my Thursday morning tennis league for a super high cardio day, as well as trading Wednesday barre for intense cardio & different weights. I have to bust through this plateau!!

Hope you’re feeling better, Annette. I’m headed for a shower & early bed night. I’m exhausted!!

Mommabear, have you looked into Hip Hop Abs Extreme, yet? It’s a form of the Insanity workout. Pretty instense cardio; no rest in between.

Just got to get to the end of the week, and then school breaks up for a week-hurray!
    I have committed to going for 3 swims next week and may well have a bash at ADF that week, and see how it goes.
    I have tried on my summer skirts and they would all fit better/be more comfortable with a few less inches/lbs. Quite an incentive.I have just started having salad in the evening, which is a break through. Struggling with boys packed lunch stuff in the cupboards that I have to hide, so that the others don’t eat it, but think that I need a week of focus/strictness without the pressure of work.
    Mind you, I also have my first essay to try and put together, which will be interesting as I am way behind on the reading(first I hurt my neck and then a tummy bug).
    I have never had nightmares or panic attacks. I am always very tired on a fast day and get to bed early.The conclusion that I have come to is that I am just eating too much and seem to have gone back to snacking.
    I have also seen the slim and 6 adverts as well as the insanity ads.I don’t think that I would commit to either.

Since going back to my original weight loss program started last Sunday, I am happy to report that I’ve already lost 4 lbs. and this is just Wednesday. I haven’t worked out this week, but will resume today.

I need to get in the fitness mindset again and saying it can make it so.

etherial,
    That is awesome.
    I am trying to work out when to fast/swim/run…….not easy to fit it all in.
    But you have inspired me to pull my finger out and return to what I know works, so much of this is psychological. Need to get that attitude back and be able to turn my back on a biscuit/cake/ice cream..I can live without all 3 on a non fast day!

Annette, thanks for being nice. I promise I didn’t want to offend anyone because I know everyone is so dedicated to the 5:2 diet and it works for some, it did allow me to lose 14 lbs., but that’s over the course of a year and my weight stalled, even when I started doing extreme workouts.

Anyway, the 6 Week Body Makeover works if you can adjust to doing without salt, dairy (don’t consume that too much anyway and only drink almond milk), fats, and my all-time favorite, RED WINE. You also have to consume 100 oz. of water a day to flush the system.

In 2005, I lost 46 lbs. in 6 weeks and was never hungry, but when I met my husband, he wined and dined me and I let him and gained the weight back. It’s time to lose all of the weight I want and then be serious with my mindset and enjoy good food in moderation. Nothing feels as good as looking good. I graduate from culinary school this Saturday (Soooo happy!!!! the kids were driving me EFFEN Crazy!) and with that knowledge (had most of it before school), I can concoct some low calorie meals for me and hubby.

Again, I truly appreciate your kindness because I expected a flurry of heat. If you don’t mind, I’d like to check in from time to time to let you know of my progress and, if possible, post some before and after pics.

Have a profitable day!

Hi,
    I think what has worked for me is not being obsessive about it, but also being honest with the calories. If I blow a fast day, I just do it the next day. I have a physical job, but the days I start late or weekends I go for a walk or ride. I don’t fast on holidays, but I don’t pig out either. In april we were in Penang and Taiwan so stacks of yummy food, but over 2 weeks I put on only 1 kilo as I walked extensively each day. I haven’t weighed myself since as I don’t think I have lost much weight. I have done this since last September and been trying to lose weight since the August. 12 kilos gone after xmas, but lucky to lose much more. I’m happy that my clothes are smaller, my work tights don’t roll down anymore and my knees don’t ache. Housework(previously my enemy),cooking(surprisingly) and window shopping(yeek) are my big distractions to hunger. Loving being a lesser me – keep at it!

etheral,
    I think that it interesting and valuable for us to share how things are going. I have always tried to be honest about that, but I have to admit feeling guilty and letting folk down when I piled on 10 lb over December, and here I am almost June and only lost 2lb of it. BUT I haven’t fasted consistently and have been a piglet on the non fast days lately, so despite my desire to put my head in the sand, I recognize that. I am still thrilled that there is 26 inches less of me, but I could do with increasing that too.Congratulations in your graduation this Saturday. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. Pictures would be fabulous.I would be very disappointed if you had got any ‘heat’ from this thread. It has always been about support and encouragement as far as I am concerned.
    MsDale,
    Well done, great achievement.I love that my knees don’t ache either and being smaller too.Although I was cold in the winter it is lovely not to be so hot when it is warm either.
    I need to get back into the groove. Next week, no excuses and no cheating.

Annette!

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!! Outstanding πŸ™‚

Carla! How the devil are you? How are the infamous leather trousers?

I don’t feel outstanding on the lb loss front, But I am very pleased with the inches lost.I do have to keep reminding myself about the 5 inches off the waist. It was funny that I was thinking about you and wondering how you were getting on the other day.Are you fasting one day a week?

Hello ladies long times no see πŸ™‚ looks like we all got a bit lazy with things… it maybe time of the year or something, because I find it strange we all still doing it but kind of returning to the bad habits. My theory is that a: novelty wears out after time , weeks, month or years,b: you are testing unconsciously how far you can stretch, or c: you are like me and its just part of you temperament to prefer unfinished business πŸ™‚ lot’s of love to all of you xxx keep strong and dig deep πŸ™‚ xxxxx

Hello issu,
    Interesting.I wonder which one I am, or maybe I am all 3!

Hi All,

Again long time no see….I am now trying to check things once a month, we are both maintaining…. up 2lbs and down again….but we both quite happy. Our bodies seems to have settled on this weight. I would like another 4 lbs off, but I am not too bothered. My weight is back to what it was 43 years ago, so I am very pleased with that.

As Issu said, we pig out a bit for a couple of days then pull back and eat thoughtfully, we are still fasting but the swimming has stopped. We still want to start again but difficult through school holidays (too busy) and we go away at least twice a month, so that’s a bit tempting with the food, ice creams and wine!

So maintaining since Xmas, we are 2lb up at the moment so on a thoughtful week at the moment, a big holiday coming up in a month so would like the 2lb off and a bit more for lee way but any weight again will be off in the two weeks back! So no worry.

Good Luck to everybody
    Jean x

Jean!
    Great to hear from you and inspired by your maintenance.What a fantastic achievement to back to a weight that you were 43 years ago.Do pop in and keep us posted on how you are getting on.

I have had a week off from all exercise to have a rest and to get well from this cold.The plan is to do a short 3 mile run tomorrow and do 2 fast days and 3 swims. I can’t see how I can fit ADF into my week as well.I hope to have smaller hips and waist next weekend, that’s my goal. What’s yours?

Hi everyone, boy am I behind on the thread! sorry about my frequent absences,when my M.E. flares up, my brain doesn’t work. my postings already sound stilted and clumsy to me, and sometimes it’s just impossible.

I seem to have found a weight that my body likes. I’m still 6 lbs from my goal, but I’m fluctuating up a couple of lbs and back down. still fasting 2 days a week, but am not being as careful the other days as I used to. I think like Issu said, we tend to start testing to find our limits.

Mommabear, I don’t think your plan sounds crazy, sounds like it could work well. I’m impressed that you can deal with the young’uns and workout and fast.

Annette, I don’t think you let anyone down, shucks, I’m in awe of your going from barely able to run, to half marathons. and your been ill, and taking care of growing boys, not to mention returning to school. you all make me feel like a slacker. LOL.

ethereal, hope you will stop in and let us know how you are doing. everyone has to find what works for them. I’d be shocked if anyone gave you a hard time for finding your way.

Issu, Ms Dale, Jean, everyone, good job!!! I think one of the best things about this way of eating is we get a bit more healthy with our attitude to food. gotta love that.

oh, one more chapter in the novel I seem to be writing. my daughter has been doing 5:2 with me since last Sept. for months she stuck with it, only loosing 5 lbs until this spring. she had lost a lot of inches though. no she has started loosing, down another 10 lbs!! she is so pleased as am I. I think we will be fasting for ever. πŸ™‚

wishing everyone a great day. Phyllis

I promise you, this is the most supportive thread I’ve ever been on and if I could, I’d bring a loud applause to each and every one of you for your kindness and support of each other. Now, more about my favorite subject: Me!

I’m doing well and my husband decided to join me on the plan last Friday weighing 182.6 lbs.(5/23/14) and today 5/26/14)he weighs 178 lbs. and it has only been 4 days in for him. You can best believe since he is male, he will surpass me on his journey and I’ll be following behind. Men lose quicker than we do, but it’s all good. He said he would eat whatever I cooked and he has. The surprise to him is we eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. He said it’s too much food and I said that’s the premise of the program, you eat more and exercise less and you lose the weight really quickly. Also, you must drink at least a gallon of water a day. I think it flushes out toxins, salt, keeps you hydrated so you won’t mistake thirst for hunger.

I mentioned this in an earlier post that I was on this plan about 9 years ago and lost 46 lbs. in 6 weeks without starvation or weakness. Sounds like a Godsend, right? My problem was I couldn’t or wouldn’t let go of my craving for salt, butter, cream, rich sauces, red wine (the good stuff!) and after a year on the program, I slowly fell from grace and gained it all back, plus five pounds. Lesson well learned. The program is geared to be a lifestyle changer and you can stay on this program for the rest of your life as it has a maintenance program to keep you in your target weight and a forum. I don’t think the forum is working so well, but I go there daily to get recipes and read success stories. Numerous women who were considered by their physicians to be morbidly obese are down to size 2s and 4s and even 0s. I never got down that far, but I think this time around on it, I’ll go a little on the skinny side.

Anyway, I’ve resumed my workout Hip Hop Abs Extreme yesterday and decided I would do it at least 3x a week for 90 days and then switch to another workout dvd for another 90 days, and so on.

At my last weigh-in I was down from 182.4 lbs. to 176.4 lbs. as of last Saturday morning. After my graduation last Saturday from culinary school, we went out for lunch and we did eat salads that were off-plan because of the salt and dressings, but we still lost weight. My next weigh-in will be next Saturday morning and I will post you my progress. I’m still trying to do the HHA Extreme Abs portion of the workout. Good God! It’s sooo difficult, sitting in a “C” position and rocking from one side the next without break and then to spread your arms wide and do it again and then, raise the opposite leg in the air, while still sitting in a “C” position (curved and leaned back), you touch or reach for your toes on the opposite leg, while actively contracting your abs! Whew! That hurt just talking about it, but little by little, I’ll get there.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial day, but if you are a day ahead of me, then I’ll drink an extra glass of water for you.

Take care.

Phyllis,
    Lovely to hear from you and I hope that you are feeling better. Fabulous news about your daughter too.How many inches has she lost?
    Etherial,
    Sounds incredible. Well done.

I am fasting today and so far have kept my nerve and not cheated, but there are several hours to go yet before bed! I went for a swim this morning and 20 lengths later, felt fine as I wandered round the shops before I headed home and ate lunch. I was mostly thirsty.My newish jeans can be slid over my hip bones while they are still done up, so no matter what the scales say on Saturday, I am shrinking.But an inch off the hips and bust would make all the difference to my clothes, so fingers crossed.I am next fasting on Thursday, swim on Friday before back to work and no time to swim until the summer.

Annette, you can pull a pair of jean up without undoing them? Good God! Way to rock it.

He he!
    I have the same fun with trousers/jeans.
    An on a break in Manchester – what a great city to visit – travelling yesterday with too much in my pockets I had to embarrass myself and redo my elastic belt (better for a bad back) in public on a busy train πŸ™‚
    No fasting for me – amazing chateaubriand for dinner last night followed by some unique cocktails – peanut butter & jelly time and roobarb & custard. Just eaten a bag of monster munch in bed – 10 pack for a quid.

etherial,
    I actually meant that they were sliding down…. but I could also pull them back up.

snedger,
    glad that you are having the same problem!
    chateaubriand sounds lovely, but not the cocktails or the monster munch. I would rather have treacle tart! Enjoy Manchester.

I am having Pasta Bolognaise for dinner, before I fast again tomorrow.

Hi, sliding trousers, good for you Annette and snedger!!!

Annette, my daughter hasn’t completely measured in a few weeks. but I do know she has lost 5.5 inches in the waist! we will be measuring again this weekend.

snedger, sounds like a great trip!! all the food sounds lovely, don’t think I’ve ever had any of those. enjoy your visit to Manchester.

ethereal, glad you found a plan that seems to work for you, congrats on getting your hubby to join you. that makes life easier.

wishing you all a great week. Phyllis

Phyllis,
    That is an amazing loss of inches. Please pass on my congratulations.

My plans for 3 trips to the pool and ADF have not happened, but I am doing a second fast day tomorrow and swimming then again too. I have tried to be more mindful about what I eat on the other days(with varying success).

You may have already discovered this alternative to regular eggs and sausage for breakfast, but for those who haven’t here is mine and hubby’s breakfasts during the week. The cheese is dairy-free, cholesterol-free, lactose-free, and anything you can think of free, but it tastes and acts like real cheese. Daiya is a brand name. It’s only 60 calories a slice and I bought the shredded version. Tonite, I’m making pizza for dinner, but using brown rice flour for the crust.

The sausage is just ground turkey mixed with sage, thyme, garlic, onion powder, and Chinese chili paste. I form then into 1-2 oz. patties and bake ’em. Stack them in a containers and grab them in the mornings.

1/2 C = (2 servings) liquid egg whites and egg beaters
    1/4 C = (” “)Daiya cheese-Mozzarella and Cheddar
    1 T water
    1/8 t black pepper

Directions
    In a bowl, sprinkle egg mixture with pepper and set aside. In a non-stick skillet, put the tablespoon of water in the skillet and when it begins to bubble, pour in egg mixture right in the center of the pan. Turn heat down to low and with a rubber spatula, gently, but firmly move egg mixture around pan, lifting cooked egg around just like a regular scramble until curds start to form.

When eggs have formed curds, sprinkle with the cheese and continue moving them around until they are almost done. Place pan in hot oven 375 degrees F for 3-5 minutes or until all moisture has evaporated. Enjoy!

Serve with 1/2 C strawberries or blueberries, cantelope, watermellon, peaches, or all until it measures 1/2 serving.

Just thought I’d share a recipe. Had a check-up yesterday and my doctor said I looked phenomenal. Wow, coming from a guy who rarely smiles or gives compliments, that’s a good thing.

Off to workout.

Hi y’all, Annette, my daughter is thrilled with the loss. she has always been skinny, so the weight she gained over the past couple of year has been hard for her. I’m just glad she didn’t give up because it is really starting to pay off. one thing that helped I think is she really increased her water intake and cut down of other drinks ( like sweet tea)

how is your fast day going? we are fasting today too. trying to decide what to fix for supper. we have been eating salads, but I might switch it up tonight. don’t beat yourself up because you didn’t do the ADF, I think that would be really hard and if you decide to do it, might take a few weeks of trying to be able to adjust. oh, I have days that I lose control and eat WAY more than I intended. I think that makes us fully human:)

Etherial thanks for sharing the recipes. and congratulations on getting a compliment from doctor serious. πŸ™‚ hope you had a great workout.

wishing you all a great day and good fasting. Phyllis

etherial,
    Interesting recipe, but I am much too lazy to actually do any of that. Breakfast for me is meusli and plain yoghurt. Great compliment from your doctor too, bask in the glory of that one!

Phyllis,
    I didn’t go swimming. Too chilly to even think of the changing rooms, met a friend for coffee which meant a much later lunch-prawns/tomatoes/cucumber/lettuce from the garden with dressing. Dinner will be salmon and more of the same salad.

I am not expecting any weight loss or inch loss tomorrow, but my jeans are sliding down and my teeny tiny abs are bigger. I have noticed that my waist is longer now and that clothes are fitting and looking better.I continue to bask in the glory of 26 inches less of me.
    A friend that I haven’t seen for 2 years is over from Oz to visit family. I wonder what her reaction will be when she sees me over the weekend?

Hi Annette, I’m so looking forward to hearing about your friends reactions. don’t blame you on the swim, I mean I know being cold is supposed to up calories burned, but geez. πŸ™‚

how did the weight and measure up go? I think you should totally bask in the less inches and what all you have accomplished!!

would you believe we totally forgot to measure this morning. a lot going on today and my daughter just weighed in (a slight gain,:( ) and she hubby took of to run errands. my weight was down about 6 oz, but still not lower over all. I’ve been playing with the same lb all week. πŸ™‚

hope you and all our fast friends are having a great weekend. Phyl

As I predicted the weigh and measure stayed the same, although there are trousers that I couldn’t do up, that I can now. They don’t look good with a muffin top, but it is in the right direction.

I am just consuming too many calories in the course of a day,so for the next week I am going to only consume up to the TDEE of my actual weight on non fast days and 500 calories on the fast days and see what happens to the scales.

I have counted that there are 13 weeks until the start of the Autumn term in September, which is my goal to lose 13 lb by, and reach what will be my target weight.I was counting calories in a fairly vague way yesterday and then realized that I had consumed my days calories by lunchtime!It was a shock just how easy it is to consume all those calories, but lesson learned. Clearly my head is lagging behind with what I think I can consume with what I actually need.

Last time I saw my friend she had lost 2 stone with WW and was really happy with the results. However it looks as if she has regained that weight plus some more.She has always been overweight for all the years that I have known her.I am seeing her again for the day.She actually made no comment on my weight at all.I was disappointed, but I am also learning that this is not an uncommon reaction amongst those who have weight to lose….or maybe it’s just the people I know!

This has always been about my health and what is best for me. So nothing changes there and I will continue to plod on. But I haven’t forgot that sense of helplessness, that nothing was ever going to change before I started the 5:2. I never believed that it would work for me, the concept seemed to easy and I have resolutely refused to count calorie up to now.BUT I need to make choices about what I am going to consume if I want to lose more weight…and I do want to lose a bit more.So out for lunch with Aussie friend and some walking, then roast dinner this evening and then 2 fast days with a weigh and measure on Saturday. I am really quite excited to see what changes I may make to the body in 5 days.
    Have a great week Fast Friends.

Hi Annette, I’m sorry your friend didn’t mention your lose. I’m sure she noticed, but maybe was uncomfortable about mentioning it since she has regained her weight. I do understand that helpless feeling. I had decided to get rid of my “skinny” clothes and just accept that I was never going to be slimmer again. what with the health stuff and age, I just figured this was my life. Then I saw the documentary, found this wonderfully supportive place and my life changed!

oh, don’t you hate it when calories sneak up on you??? I think getting our brain adjusted to our new size and calorie needs takes a while. I bet a couple of weeks of watching it closely will be just the thing you need to get started downward again. that should give your appetite and brain time to get used to it. tell you what, I’ll join you. we haven’t really fasted well this week, so much going on, but I would like to see if I have reached my lowest or can get down lower. starting tomorrow I’ll keep track for a couple of weeks with you and we will see how we do.

hope your day with your friend goes well. my cousin just posted on facebook a picture of his lunch with the caption, “couldn’t do the shakes today”. he has lost quite a bit doing the diet shake thing. I’m trying to decide if I should share 5:2 with him. he is one of my 30 plus cousins a lot younger that I and I don’t really know him all that well. I might just post about my experience and see what happens.

good luck this week, my friend. I’m anxious and excited to see how you get on. Phyllis

Annette, sometimes people don’t mention a change in weight because they don’t want to be the one to mention when you’ve gained. Case in point, I worked at this law firm and everyone always commented about how slim I was. One person even said they thought I was thinner than I was when I started at the firm. I was cordial and thanked everyone and went to heat up my lunch. A woman was already already eating her lunch and I mentioned to her that people had commented about my weight and I was surprised at her reply, “…that’s why I don’t tell people when they lose weight because I don’t want to tell them when they’ve gained.”.

In a weird, twisted way, it kinda makes sense to me, and realistically speaking, some people ARE uncomfortable when others lose the weight and maintain the loss, they feel loss of control.

Thank you Phyllis and etherial,
    The weight issue is very complex.I do understand but I am disappointed never the less.But then my loss also shows that it is possible for them too.

My very slender friend says that she comments when people have lost weight but never mentions it when they gain. I suppose that is my approach too.

I have a lovely day with my 2 friends out in the sunshine.I also know that I have no intention of putting the weight on again, watching them both struggle to walk any distance and uphill.

I am quite excited to see how the next 5 days pans out. I have an essay deadline, so the temptation for cakes/chocolate will be huge.I have set a slightly longer target as well, of 5 weeks as well. I shall be thrilled with 5 less inches, it doesn’t have to be lbs, but could please most of it come off my waist?

I understand and here’s to inch-loss in the coming 5 days.

Hi All – Great forum…I am a new starter on this diet. Started 5:2 2-3 weeks and have already seen reduction from 72 to 68.5 (3.5 kg in 2 weeks)

42 yr old male
    BMI – reduced from 24.9 to 23.4 Target BMI – 20 (60 kg)
    BMR – 1552 kcal
    TDEE – 2000 kcal (between sedentary and lightly active)

I find it easy not to eat any thing during the day on the fast day …so almost have a 24 hrs water / green tea fast before eating my 550 kcal fast day diet…

This week in fact I did 4:3.

Few questions
    a) will this eating style slow down my metabolism permanently?
    b) I find it hard to eat on the feed day…and almost get a feeling of tired after eating.
    c) ironically I almost look forward to fast day though i have only started recently. Especially if I am at work I dont even notice that it is a fast day. I suspect this is the initial exuberance. I am thinking of doing Mon & Thur fast(so far have been flexible on which days but probably would settle for those 2 days). If I decide to go for 4:3 then probably Mon, Thur and Sat

d) only problem I feel a bit tired and slightly heavy headed on the day after the diet but it goes away and not really bothersome. I try to drink lots of water on fast days.

e) Have a long way to go to my target weight of 60 which I have not been at for almost 15 years. I have not been too high either …always around 67-70 range and whenever I reach 72 I start reduction programme and then stop around 66…this time I want to take it all the way to 60 and then maintain there. Any advise for this long journey.

Hi and welcome takloo:

Here are some tips that might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Thank you simocoelev for that help for takloo.

Meet a work colleague who has lost 2 stone over the past year and went to a family reunion last week.Those that had not seen her since and were also overweight, never commented on her weight loss.She also said, that when she was bigger, she didn’t realize how bad it was until she lost weight.Now she runs up stairs without a second thought and had forgotten being out of breath and aching knees.

If anything, the lack of acknowledgment and photos of us all, has strengthened my resolve.

Hi Takloo and welcome! Simcoeluv has a great suggestion on the info for beginners post. it answers a lot of your questions. one of the good things about this plan is it’s flexible, it is a good idea to set a regular schedule for fast days. however, if something comes up on your scheduled fast day, just do it the next day. it’s brilliant! you may find days that you are really hungry, I find that most of the time those days aren’t real hunger, just I want something I don’t need to eat. πŸ™‚

keeping carbs low and water intake high really helps with cravings and energy. lots of folks seem to have low energy post fasting, but it usually gets better after a while. good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Simcoeluv, thanks so much for sharing your brilliant post!

Annette, good for your friend! I know she is proud of herself. you have much to be proud of yourself! I don’t doubt your resolve at all! it is a good thing though to notice how much better things are now, and I see you doing that.

oh, those photos will sure help keep a person on the straight and narrow all right. πŸ™‚ my only question is, who IS that old lady. LOL. actually I don’t worry about that too much. just glad I’m still around to look older. πŸ™‚

took measurements this morning and weighed in. so far I’ve lost 25.2lbs since starting to experiment with 5:2 (about 2 weeks before I officially started, so it doesn’t all show up on my tracker) and 19inches lost in the areas I thought to measure. not bad, for no exercise beside trying to clean house and such. anxious to see what happens for both (and everyone else) over the next couple of weeks.

sorry, I seem to written a rather long post. sending wishes for a great week. Phyl

Thanks Phyllis and a very well done on your loss in inches and lbs to date.

Photos are fabulous at forcing the reality, rather than helping in denial.I hope they will continue to help me keep the focus.

I am fasting today and have decided that I am simply going to write down everything that I eat/drink for the this week, rather than calculate calories at this point.If I have to write it down, I stop and think about eating/drinking it.If I want to, I can also do the maths as well.

Hi Annette, good idea on just writing down the intake. no math needed. πŸ™‚ and if you notice you aren’t loosing like you want, you can do the math and see the calorie count.

I’m fasting today also. going to make a huge salad I think, the farm market near me has lots of goodies coming in. still working on a lower cal salad dressing as my favorite recipe for Ranch(that I love) is really not low calorie. right now I’m just making sure to eat less of it.

wishing you and all our fast friends a great week. Phyl

Gotta cook for the week on this plan, so stuffed peppers for dinner tonight made with brown rice, green onion, tomato sauce, chopped mushrooms, and a little ground turkey.

I’m also making a brown rice salad (might as well, big pot of rice), and using some leftover sliced red onion and tomatoes, green onion, carrots, arugula and snow peas. Wa-lah! Rice vinegar, a little Truvia to soften, crushed garlic, and toasted sesame seed oil.

Tonight’s dinner is tomorrow’s lunch and so on. Last night, I made Indian Curry Roasted chicken breasts (boneless/skinless). The week’s menu is done and that makes it so much easier to just reach instead of gathering ingredients. Kitchen looks good, too. Little to no clean-up.

Hi ethereal, sounds yummy! my daughter and I were just planning a weekly prep. to make cooking easier. cutting up veggies, making dressings etc. might have to try cooking for the week too.

hope you are having a great day! Phyllis

I fasted yesterday, which went Ok, but felt that it all went down hill today. However, having just done a rough calculation of calories consumed so far…I have just reached my TDEE, which is so much better than I thought.

Fasting again tomorrow……

Hi Annette, well done!! sounds like you did better than you thought. good luck with tomorrows fast. Phyllis

The close of day saw me over the TDEE by a couple of 100 calories, but I had several 100 to play with over from Monday. I am working on more than my BMR and up to the TDEE of my goal weight, which is only 100 less than my actual weight TDEE.
    Fasting today.

Thanks Phyllis.Are you part of the Thursday fasters?

Hi Annette, well done on you calories for a non fast day. since you were under on Monday, and just a smidge over yesterday, you should balance out pretty good. I haven’t been doing the TDEE of my goal weight, it’s a good idea. will have to figure mine out and see.

no, I’m not a Thursday faster, we usually do Tues. and Fri. that is because we run errands on Monday and Thurs. and we if we go out, it’s harder for us to fast, because I don’t have the energy to fix supper when we get home.

my daughter and I went shopping at the charity shop yesterday. I found 2 dresses and a skirt. size 10 and medium. made me really happy. it was senior discount day which made it even better. πŸ™‚

hope you fast is going well. Phyllis

Hello everyone, I hope you don’t mind me contributing to this post. I have read the whole thing over a few days and found it really inspirational and informative. I too have always been a slave to the scales in the past and somewhat to the tape measure too! How fabulous to realise that I can also use the way my clothes fit as a measure of the way my body is changing….I can’t believe I never really thought about this before.

I am on week 8 of a 4:3 version of the 5:2 which I am finding is getting easier each week. The first month was frankly awful…..really tough and I never managed to stick to 500 calories, but despite this the weight has dropped and the clothes are fitting better!

Anyway I just wanted to say hi to you all and to let you know how much this post has helped me! Off to cook dinner now for the family….not a fast day today and I enjoyed a rather fabulous cake at 3pm so actually not very hungry! Take care. Lynne

Hi Lynne, welcome!! so glad you can join us! we love to meet new friends. so glad you are happy with the plan and your weight is going the right direction. I think the great thing about this WOE is that you don’t have to perfect for it to work. a little over 500 cals will still work, and slowly you adjust to eating less and it’s much easier.

so glad you found something helpful here, lots of friendly and fun folks here about. please visit often and keep us posted on how you are doing. Phyllis

I decided I needed to do something about the weight that had crept on over the last 12 months at Easter. My fiancΓ© and I went to Paris for the week and I had thrown some summer clothes into a suitcase. When we arrived I got changed and was horrified to discover nothing fit me! Everything was tight…I had put quite a few inches on my thighs and it all looked and felt awful. So I decided there and then I needed to do something.

I found a site about alternative day fasting, and then stumbled on 5:2. Since then I haven’t looked back….and have learned a lot (I hope) on the way. Mainly not to be a slave to the scales…in the past I would have been so disheartened to see such slow movement…but I know clothes are a lot looser now….and clothes I wore a couple of years ago that I have had no chance of getting into are slowly starting to fit better. I have a pair of jeans that I struggle to pull up over my butt…so these are my test pair LOVE that idea! and I am trying them on every Saturday morning.

Anyway it’s fast day today…which bizarrely I look forward to as I find it easier to plan food choices for. And the sun is shining!! Have a fab day everyone.

Lynne

Phyllis, great news on the clothes.
    Lynne, you are very welcome.I am so glad that you have found the post useful, it must have taken ages to read it all!

It was born out of my observation that although the scales might seem to be broken and the tape measure refuses to budge, something was happening because my clothes were fitting differently.As a result I always do a combination of all 3 to get a more balanced view of what is going on.I have test jeans too.

I really struggled with the evening on my fast day, so I am going to eat mindfully today to compensate for the over indulgence yesterday.

Hi Lynne, oh, how frustrating it must have been to get out your clothes and find they didn’t fit. good for you for doing something about it! And, not letting the scales dictate your mood. I think the test jeans are a great idea. like Annette said, I try to use all three ways to measure how well things are going, but not let anyone get me down if it doesn’t do what I want it too. πŸ™‚

Annette, those evenings can get really long can’t they? hope today is going well. fingers crossed for weight and measure day.

I have to tell you about my clothing adventures this week. In addition to shopping the thrift store, I shopped my daughter closet. she has always been skinny, until the M.E. struck. the past couple of years have been really hard, gaining weight in spite of herself. when most everything else has been taken away, food becomes your friend. anyhow she is doing much better now, scales and tape measure going down. the other day I was looking for a skirt to wear, they are so much cooler in the Tennessee heat( and we don’t handle heat well ) I tried on a skirt that is still too small for her, and I could find the hook on the side. She said, Mom you are overlapping it about 4 inches, it’s way too big!! I tell you that made me REALLY happy! I’m sure she will be back into it soon though, so it’s not wasted.

hope everyone is having a good day, we are fasting today, and rather looking forward to it also. πŸ™‚ Phyllis

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.