HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,751 through 5,800 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi All

Welcome to all of the newcomers. Hi Topsy, nice to see you here.

Remember to measure at the beginning and then every couple of months at least. Those of us with a lot to lose need to also measure our necks….yes I know how strange that seems but we have visceral fat around our necks and this is the unhealthy kind that is the same as tummy fat. It is an indicator of diabetes etc. remember we also have fat around our organs which is dangerous, it isn’t about just looking good. Even slim people can have a lot of internal fat, fat floating in our blood streams causes high cholesterol.

So many new names, sorry I was not posting. Thanks for the link Nemum 🙂 my weight really fluctuates, I will often weigh two days later and see 4lbs difference up or down. Don’t be disheartened by this.

Well done Milena for your loss, it was a long time coming, like me you have been doing this a long time and maybe have reached a plateau. You will get though this.

I have been busy cleaning cupboards and I have also joined a gym, I am trying to go twice a week for half an hour, this is tge time that was recommended for the first two or three weeks. I have an old knee injury so I have to start gradually.

My health trainer had joined another company and I shall be put on his waiting list in a couple of weeks time. I had been doing this without a break for 10 months and so I decided that I would do 4:3 but eat what I want within reason on NFDs. This seems to work by maintaining and hopefully when I am back with my trainer I will go back into weight loss mode again. I am happy to just maintain for a few weeks as I have about another four and a half stone to go and loose skin needs to tone up a bit.

It is lovely to eat what I want on NFDs but I am sure I will find it tough to get back to being good again. Just as well I want weight lose to slow doan, my target for next year is two to two and half stone, this should be really achievable.

I shall look in on here every few days until I get back to trying to lose again.

Have a nice week all. I am fasting today well Monday and Tuesday as I have a funeral on Wednesday. I really dislike having to change my day. I shall also be fasting on Friday. This keeps me on an even keel.

See you all soon.

Ginette

Hi Milena, I’d find the chocolates and chuck them out. Unless they were particularly delicious ones, in which case I would pick out my three favourite, throw out the rest, and then sit and enjoy those three. Enjoy every tiny bite.

Hi Ginette I was hearing someone say recently that snoring, and sleep apnoea, are very much related to how much fat you have stored in your neck.
    PS lovely to see your post. Hope you don’t have to wait too long to have your health trainer back with you.

Good wishes for an excellent nights rest Audrey and a great Fast day tomorrow.

I’m just about to have a lie down, see you later.

Ginette!
    So good to see you back on here, the place isn’t the same without you. I’m glad you are up to posting. Your 4:3 will be an interesting test for your body, you might find that after a period of stability you could start losing weight again as you get used to the slightly higher calories on NFD it should raise your metabolism over time. Well done on the exercise too, I too have a dodgy knee so know how hard that is to get active. I was doing really well with my Wii fit regime but the balance board has broken again and I’ve lost the routine now. We have no money to replace it but I may buy a rechargable battery pack as I think its a loose connection there. Power to you sweetie, hope to see you post soon, even if you’re are not losing come chat, the forum is my best medicine and you always give such good advice and enxourage ment to others, including me when I need a kick up the rear end. Remember don’t run faster than your guardian angel can fly.
    NEmum

Morning Nemum,

Isn’t it nice to see ginette, I told her she was missed and mentioned you as one of the people missing her most!

Glad you are doing ok.I bought a battery charger of ebay for my wii fit it wasn’t too expensive. .. I too have got out of the exercise habit I am hoping to start again when back improves a bit more.

Milena did you find the chocolate?

Cinque don’t encourage her, she is naughty enough on her own, although I do agree life would be boring without our milena. ..

Keep in touch…..together we can Do this wol

Audrey

Hi Cinque

I may snore, probably do. I am looking forward to starting with the health trainer again, I like Milena had almost plateaued and I was find it it really hard to lose weight, at the same time I really needed to t tone up.

Nemum, thanks and as Audrey says there is a battery pack you can buy for the Wii board, tge batteries seem t o go really quickly and so I got one as well. Audrey and I were doing one called Exerbeat and that although initially expensive was packed full of exercises from 5 minutes up. That tends to be a winter thing for me as I really feel the heat, you don’t need to use the balance board for this.

I do really like some of the exercises on Wii fit but I get fed up with them easily after a while as I have done them so many times. The bird and pinball are particularly good for the tummy area which is where I need it……apart from all over of course! 🙂 I will see if I can find you the link.

As you say maybe real on NFDs will kick start weight loss, I am not going too mad though on NFDs at the moment, I dare not say what I have in tge house as I don’t want to trigger cravings for you.

Hi Audrey

I am sure at some point when you are feeling better the Wii will come back out. It probably will for me as well. I know when your back is better again you may start thinking of it.

See you soon

Ginette

Yeah ginette is back…..thank goodness you have been really missed. No one gives good advice like you.

Hope to hear a lot more from you.

I know we three milena,you and me seem to have been on here for ever, and it is nice to get some time off for good behaviour but just remember we all have to finish this together and all 3 of us reach our own targets….

Audrey

Audrey,

Go on girl, you tell that Ginette!
    But really Ginette, good to hear from you and the Forum again.
    And Audrey, I hope those muscle relaxants are making a difference on your back, I’m thinking they must be if you’re planning a B2B fast, just take it easy. I’m intrigued at what you might have in the house that might trigger cravings. I have in the oven as I type a sweet pumpkin pie (not too much sugar) I’ve not made it before, and usually make soup (no surprise there) with my pumpkins but wanted to try something different, I’ll let you know how it turns out, I’m sure my little NEboys will scoff it no matter what it turns out like.

Cinque,
    Well done on getting fasting right after only 3 months, it took me that to lose anything at all, and even now nearly 8 months in I’m still not sure I have fast days sussed, some go so well, like yesterday, but others I really struggle with. What do you eat on Fast Days?

NEmum

Drum roll please. …..

I have done a B2B and succeeded. …..finished today under 500 kcals.

Going bed now am exhausted but elated.

Audrey

Rat a tat tat da DA! Congrats Audrey!

Thanks for such a lovely compliment NE. I had better not feel I have Fast Days sorted after one good one, but at least I know what I am aiming for.
    I have been reading posts about how important it is to have the big difference between a small fast and a good healthy normal eating day. But I did start timidly and happily ate around 650 calories on Fast days, because I knew I had to make it doable. I’ll really work on making the Fast days as low as I can. ( just quietly, I think I was not hungry and washed out because I hadn’t had a good loo trip for a while. Now I have I feel so much better – so we will see what happens next Fast Day.)

Must go – granddaughter yelling

Back again. Granddaughter has vegemite on toast, so all is well in the world.

Re what I am eating on Fast Days: I started in midwinter, so I had a small bowl of porridge in the mornings, and a bowl of soup in the evenings, with a slice of toast ( from my home made bread).
    Plus I let myself have all my usual cuppas, which do all have milk in them.

I have tried to have less cuppas, then I stopped wanting porridge as soon as the season turned, and now my aim is to have miso soup in the morning, veggie soup in the evening, and still have as few cuppas as I can get away with.

I am lucky that 5:2 worked easily, and straightway, for me, and I am steadily losing weight so far, but I think I put the hard ground work in a few years ago when I stopped eating sugar, even fruit ( except the occasional berries).

I am planning to Fast again on Friday, I think! One day back home to organise myself, buy miso sachets and get the soup out of the freezer.

PS Audrey, I was encouraging her to THROW those chocolates AWAY!

Did you Milena???????

Sorry Cinque, but I live with two Scotsmen – who are like Yorkshiremen with shorter arms and longer pockets! Throw away good food???

I had bought a cabbage to go in my soup a couple of weeks ago and didn’t fancy it – told OH to throw it away yesterday, it was looking rather sad, there ensued a twenty minute debate on the subject – it was like the mystery box on Masterchef Australia, suggestions going back and forth what he could do with it – I think in the end I suggested he put it where the sun don’t shine cos I wasn’t cooking it for him – that’s when it went in the bin.

It would be impossible for me to persuade him to chuck away perfectly good sweets – ok though, cos he will have hidden it well.

Did well with my fast – a bit of crispbread and tomatoes, and a bowl of soup. Until OH came in with a shortbread and chocolate biscuit thingy, but just had a corner – then another. Still under 500 though.

Got some herring at the weekend and froze it, haven’t cooked herring before and not sure if freezing was a good idea, but three for 80p was too good to pass for hubby. Any suggestions?

I do feel I’ve been doing this forever, but nowhere near the end for me – though just bought a cashmere and wool trenchcoat by Wallis for twenty pounds on ebay, its a size 14, so probably too small. Hubby has just bought be a duffel coat from M&S in a sixteen, a bit big but probably a good idea with winter woolies. Got a coat for Copenhagen in January, be lovely to wear the smaller one. Determined to spend all the money I would spend on booze on nice clothes.

Its certainly getting harder to lose the pounds, Ginette, and I think it is tempting to ease back – maybe not such a bad thing, as long as we get going again. I’m resigned to doing heaps of fasts, just started walking again, which might help. In a way its good to hear others are struggling, it shows we are all in the same boat, and when one of us gets a loss, it means the rest of us are able to. Does that make sense? Hope so, cos it does to me!

51 days til Christmas!!!

Hi Audrey

Well done on your two days……didn’t it seem long, I am glad that I am now not fasting for two days. I prefer to speared it out a bit with a day inbetween each.

I think that I posted on the forum every day for over 9 months, I was always quite strict but I would still have a treat or two in the week.

I am hoping that I will build muscle however slowly as muscle boosts metabolism. This means that I won’t have to work so hard to lose weight. I don’t want visible muscle so take any ideas of muscle women out ir your mind.

Cinque

I love porridge, I have a fancy for that now. I don’t eat porridge as a regular thing as I get hungry after eating it. I shall have it on Thursday though. I wouldn’t eat it on fast days unless I had it as my main meal in the evening, the trouble is I have added sultanas and nuts to it so I wouldn’t be able to do a proper count.

I could never throw chocolates away!!

Hi Nemum

I have cravings for all different things, sometimes wholemeal bread or cheese and sometimes for sweet treats. I only keep a limited amount of things in the house. That way I can’t go mad.

Hi Milena

I am sure you will get into that coat soon, it does get difficult to lose after a while, maybe the less strict NFDs and tge gym will start things moving without anything else. Three fast days are plenty. I hope to get back into soupmaking soon as the weather is now cooler.

I’ve never cooked herring.

Ginette

Are some of you ladies fasting two days in a row.Like say Monday\tues.I have been only doing mon \ thur each week.Whats it like two days in a row? Oh I could have read that wrong but it sounded to me like some of you are doing two days back to back.Oh im still having tea and coffee with milk,i don’t think you are surpose too.But ill measure my milk out this week. ps Audrey, I hope you are feeling better. I know your probably not quite able to throw your legs over your shoulders yet but I hope your getting better and will be able to very soon.Oh and for the record I have never been able to throw my legs over my shoulders. heeeeheeee

Have weighed in and am proud to announce I have lost the 2.5lb I put on over the weekend. ….

Sorry milena I have not cooked herring either. Isn’t it annoying to be between sizes, I need a size 11 at the moment……

Ginette glad you are back, good luck for today never a nice thing to go to a funeral hope it’s ok.

Cinque glad you are doing so well,

Keelee, I have just completed a B2B fast. Went 48 hrs on liquid only. Went from 1 evening meal, to evening meal 48 hrs later…. I have been doing 5 2for a while now, and I find it easier to not eat at all rather than trying to stop eating, I am unfortunately a binger once I start eating I don’t stop!

Sorry have to dash off my friend is coming today for a much needed catch up…. will be back later…..

Audrey

Well done Audrey! (And everyone else, of course!) I tried B2B a couple of times and felt like I was dying, so always separate out my days now. Yesterday went okay (exactly 500 calories) but today I have really wanted to eat rubbish (but managed not to). I think it’s because I’m about to go out to a meeting which will go on until about 10pm, followed by an hour’s drive home – something to do with being deprived of a ‘proper’ evening meal. The mind plays such games…..

I am really working on cutting down sugar altogether, not just on fast days. I’ve got a sugar replacement arriving soon (good old Amazon!) and I’m not buying any more low-fat (therefore high sugar) fruit yoghourts; instead, I’m going for full-fat Greek plain and adding some apple puree – the calorie count is pretty much the same but the sugar content is way down. Another thing I often rely on to get me through a ‘snack attack’ are the various muesli-type bars one can buy: they have gone, replaced by oatcakes with berries or ginger, which are advertised as having 40% less sugar and are only 44 calories each.

And while I’m on a roll…….. I’ve decided to treat chocolate the way I treat alcohol (I come from a family of alcoholics): I have none in the house, am not going to buy any, and if people give it to me I’m going to give it away – so there! I just can’t ‘do’ chocolate; once I’ve had some it sets off a craving which goes on for weeks.

Sorry – seem to have rabbitted on a bit!

Hi ladies

Something really good has happened. I had my lunch one of those pkt of pasta n sauce, and wasn’t hungry after! Not only that I am still not hungry! So now what do I do. ….Do I go for a 3rd fast day in a row or eat something now when I am not hungry?

Audrey

Hi Audrey

its basically calories in and calories used so go for it – at the moment I’m heading for another fast day, but might just go over with another bowl of muesli.

I think the old ‘low calorie’ diets have a lot to answer for – 1000 calories a day is considered unhealthy, but is it? The hard part of those diets is the idea of 1000 calories longterm, not just for a week, but for months, and even years. What a prospect. Absolutely nothing wrong with not eating much, especially if the stuff we are forsaking is sugar laden rubbish. Eating very little or even nothing – except where it causes problems taking medication of course, won’t do us any harm, in fact it might do us a great deal of good.

Milena

Thanks very much sound advice as usual. I will leave food for now, if I get hungry later I have some rhubarb in fridge which is low calorie and filling!

Audrey

Hi Audrey

its basically calories in and calories used so go for it – at the moment I’m heading for another fast day, but might just go over with another bowl of muesli.

I think the old ‘low calorie’ diets have a lot to answer for – 1000 calories a day is considered unhealthy, but is it? The hard part of those diets is the idea of 1000 calories longterm, not just for a week, but for months, and even years. What a prospect. Absolutely nothing wrong with not eating much, especially if the stuff we are forsaking is sugar laden rubbish. Eating very little or even nothing – except where it causes problems taking medication of course, won’t do us any harm, in fact it might do us a great deal of good.

I’m finding it easier and easier to cut back on food during the week, and logically its not hunger that makes me eat more – but only foods I really really enjoy – at the weekend, its love of food. So if you don’t fancy anything, don’t have it – if you find yourself eyeing your hubby’s left leg, food you normally don’t like – raw onions and uncooked potato, frozen chicken thighs – or even a bite of the table leg – YOU ARE VERY HUNGRY – get some food.

If your hunger is for ice-cream or chocolate – just make sure you have banked an extra fast day so you can have them. Audrey, today, it seems, is that day!!!

Hi Audrey

so good I seem to have posted it twice – it must have posted halfway through – my second go was sooo much better than my first, which I thought sounded a bit bossy!! Sorry!

Just thought I had received it twice milena!

Thanks again have started to feel hungry so am going to get some food!

Audrey

Good morning,
    Hi Blaise, what a wonderful set of changes you are making. All power to you.

I am home after a lovely week in Sydney with my daughters little family. So no more access to scales. Very glad. I just love checking my progress in a non scale way. I lose weight in jumps, and I have just done one of those jumps where I can really see and feel that I have lost weight.

Milena I do understand how hard it is to get rid of ‘perfectly good’ food. We were brought up that it was wasteful to leave food on the plate, and never to throw ANYTHING out! I do try to avoid waste, but it is better for my health to chuck out things. Luckily I have compost bins, and Mother Earth makes better use of that stuff than my body does.

Ginette isn’t it funny that porridge can leave you hungry soon after, I notice that even with the good rolled oats I use. But other times it keeps me going for hours. I always had it with a few sultanas in and a sprinkle of sugar. After I stopped eating high sugar foods, I just couldn’t bring myself to eat it plain! But finally, after two or three years, I found I could, and I love it through the winter months, with salt and pepper on it! True!

Audrey I hope you have had a lovely tasty non fast day. Isn’t it interesting, listening to our bodies and trying to work out which are healthy messages, and which are not.

Cheers everyone, here is a bunch of flowers for you! ?

Hi cinque

Yes I have had a good day thanks for asking.

I have eaten now so am off to bed soon to stop me from carrying on eating, I have trouble stopping once I have started!

You have a wonderful day will talk to you again tomorrow. Take care

Audrey

Hi Cinque

don’t worry, the chocolates don’t bother me – OH in a paddy, though a rare sight and always rather funny – does though, he gets upset about throwing out perfectly awful food, he is still using eggs with an October use by date.

I just use the fresh stuff and leave the rest to him, knowing I’m doing my bit for both the planet and for marital relations, and I think the Presbyterian is happy that he wastes nothing. Even if it tastes awful, and I think it sometimes does, though he is not likely to admit it, he actually revels in the sacrifice.

He has been known to take mouldy stuff out of the recycle food bin and use it. Me? If we have freshly bought milk I discard the old and I refuse to use eggs which are more than three days old. We all have our wee foibles.

When his parents moved, I think they removed 6 skipfuls of stuff out of the garage and the attic, and yet the attic in the next house, full to the gunnels. OH’s brother set fire to the Garage the other day – i swear they found stuff from the 19th century – their father would never ever through anything away. The first time I cleared out OHs wardrobe – stuff which had been in the wardrobe unused for at least 10 years – he threw a major wobbly! And every clearout is just like groundhog day – I chuck it out and he puts it back!

I do love that man!!!!

Sweet dreams Audrey!

Milena it is clear you are much better than me at making decisions about throwing things out!
    Soooo, you haven’t searched the house high and low, discovered the chocolates, eaten them all up, and then sat in the corner all sticky and sick feeling and wishing they were in the compost?
    It is clear your OH is a great character, from a family of great characters! Good fun.

10am here, so I am off to get things done!

I know what you mean though, Cinque. I’m not very good at keeping wine in the house, I have a nose like a divining rod when it comes to looking for wine OH has hidden.

But I’m being teetotal for six weeks so there won’t be any. Strange, there is all sorts of spirits and beers, and noilly prat, to make a martini about once every five years. It all hangs around for months and years.

Ha Milena, Extra congrats on your teetotal weeks then, a serious commitment!
    I’m quite alcohol intolerant as part of my chronic illness, and it is that lovely wine with a meal I miss most.

I decided this morning not to wait until tomorrow, but Fast today. It is going well except for great big waves of hunger! Luckily I checked some Op Shops this morning and found three gorgeous tops and a pair of shoes.
    Top number 1. Pure blue silk. Large enough to fit me fatter, but won’t it look better draped on my less fatness!
    Top Number 2. Blue again, linen and viscose, perfect for wearing over a short sleeved top when it is a little bit cool. Even though it is loose enough to go over things, it is not baggy.
    Top number 3: too small for me (so far!!!!!!!) Black silk Chinese top with embroidered butterflies on it. Might have to wait til next summer to wear it! Won’t I love it when I can fit into it.
    Shoes: a pair of brown leather ankle high boots with part swede, never been worn.
    Such enjoyment to get me through those hunger waves!

I’m a bit distractable with hunger, but I will just do pottering around things: there are plenty of them to do, and if I keep going, a lot will be done at the end of the day.

Hi all,

Cinque hope the fast day is going well, I am looking forward to my day today, Ian is home soon and is off for the next 4 nights so we are on slow cooked sausage casserole for tea yummy!

Milena, well done on going alcohol free for a while, it said on the news the other day, if you go a month without alcohol it has great heakth benefits, so you go for it, although I don’t think you consume vast amounts do you?

Have a great day everybody

Audrey

Just having my evening soup Audrey (yummy yummy). The ironing is done, and I have a (growing) list of all the things I must do tomorrow.
    Looking forward to snuggling on the couch and watching TV tonight. Cooking shows! I’ll be able to imagine what I could cook tomorrow!
    Best wishes for your day today, and hmmm, slow cooked sausage casserole sounds SO delicious.

Cheers everyone else too!

Second fast day of the week for me, so I’ve had just a cup of tea thus far (I’m in England and it’s 10am). Dinner will be a vegetable curry (cooked and frozen a couple of weeks ago) at just 150 calories. Next time I make it I will use far less curry paste though – it is extremely hot!

I’m finding that having new dishes to cook (all under 200 calories) is helping to motivate me, as it means that I feel as though I am still have ‘proper’ food on fast days.

The stevia I ordered has arrived, so will be trying that, instead of my usual teaspoon of sugar, in my black coffee shortly. I find all these so-called ‘natural’ sugar substitutes a bit of a challenge, as there are so many different reviews of them, with an equal amount of positive and negative comments. Anyway, the stevia I’ve chosen is 100% natural and organic, direct from the plant, and is recommended by various health gurus, so I hope that it will be okay!

How’s everyone else doing today?

Quick update: have just used the stevia in my coffee and it is brilliant! I needed only a quarter of a teaspoonful (and could easily have managed with less) and it tasted just the same as sugar, with no horrid aftertaste. Result!

Howdy y’all from the wilds of Oklahoma. 54 and bigger than I have ever been. Love reading the posts, now I think I’m ready to act! 40 pounds to lose at least, it didn’t come on overnight so I know it won’t come off overnight either. Wish me luck ladies! I’ll keep you posted.

Hiya to you, Mitziday. I say welcome and am sure others will too. I’m in Indiana. As an American it is fun reading this blog as most are British and speak a little differently than we do here and there. But we’ve got a lot in common and it has been very helpful to me (thank you, Ladies!). 5:2 isn’t easy, but is rewarding. I never had a problem with my eating nor weight (was never stick thin but pretty fit) until menopause. Ug. But 5:2 has helped me get back my perspective.
    Hope it’ll help you too!

Welcome mitziday

I am sure you will soon feel at home we are a friendly group of ladies here.

Cinque hope you had a good day.

Blair let me know where you got the stevie from please

Have a good weekend ladies, keep in touch together we are stronger

Audrey

Welcome Mitziday!
    Best wishes for this new journey.

I am glad the stevia is a hit Blaise. And all power to your cooking. There is a lovely focussed ritual in cooking beautiful food ( and then eating it! ).

I had a good Fast day thanks Audrey. Yesterday was a bit chaotic, too much to do and not feeling well ( so I went to another op shop and bought a red silk shirt and a lovely brown linen summer top). ( I think I have done enough shopping therapy now.)
    The weekend has started here, and I hope I can use it to catch up on stuff!

?

Well im from New Zealand and id like to say KIAROA,it means hello.Its nice to hear from you.

Hi doll Kiaora from New Zealand lovely to hear from you and all the best.

Yer me too. I cant seem to lose much at all.I was ok then hit menopause and the weight piled on along with a low thyroid.I take whole thyroid from my DR but even though I do a lot of excersize my weight seems to stick.I seem to lose a couple of grms only to find it keeps coming back.But the other day I looked in the mirror and found were it was hiding….oh yer on my bum mmmmmm.

Hi Dolls, do you drink tea and coffee I do and have milk in it.Im not sure if you should whata you think? may be I should measure the milk as well.

Hi KeeLee, It is the milk in drinks that kept me going over 500cals on Fast Days. A cup of milk is 150 calories, and I go through at least that with all my cuppas!

Weigh-day so reporting in! 3lb loss; waist measurement the same. It seems to alternate – last time I didn’t lose any poundage, but half an inch disappeared!

Audrey, the stevia was from Amazon UK, and is the brand ‘Simply Wholesome’ – don’t worry that, when it arrives, it looks like something the narcotics squad would be interested in; they are simply very ‘green’ with their packaging!

Re tea drinking, Cinque and Keelee, have you tried other kinds of tea, so that you don’t have the ‘this needs milk in’ association? I used to loathe herbal/fruit teas but I have found a couple I can tolerate without milk: white tea is lovely (just like a milder regular tea) and so is black tea with rose – naturally sweet too.

Blaise

3lb loss well done. ……

I am entertaining granddaughters today and off to mums tomorrow till Friday, so will only be posting occasionally from now.

Stay strong ladies and remember that together we are stronger

Audrey

Blaise,
    I may have to try that type of Stevia, NEdad bought me supermarket Stevia and it is horrid, nasty sweet taste with bitter after taste. I’m down your way today and drank way too much real ale last night, don’t even want to think on the calories. Off to isle of Wight today. oh and fabulous result on the weight loss.

Keep up the good work all

NEmum

Hi Blaise,
    I planned to avoid those milky cuppas on Fast Days, and there are a lot of non milky ones I drink (mint, bergamot herb, thyme in the garden, rose water, licorice tea and ginseng in my cupboard). I also tried weak black tea, that I quite like. And I love drinking the beautiful green tea my neighbour brought me from China.
    But I found I just had to have the run of drinks I always start my day with.

So I cut down on food rather than my cuppas with milk!

Once the morning cuppas are over, I generally don’t need another milk one. The last couple of Fast Days I have done without the spiced drink, with milk, that I generally finish the day with.

I did plan on making Fast Days caffeine free too, but I haven’t managed that yet either!

Lovely loss Blaise!
    Have fun with those granddaughters Audrey! And with your mum!
    Have a great time on the Isle of Wight, NE!
    Best wishes everyone.
    I’m having the day before the Fast day!

Good afternoon to you all 🙂 I have to say I have missed the conviviality of this forum.

I haven’t fasted since I last posted (mid-Oct. if I remember right) and I had to cancel my monthly weigh in at the health centre, but I think I have lost a little weight. I will get back on the wagon some time this week (I hope!).
    Elfstone

Hi Elf,
    Hope life makes some nice space for fasting soon!

Elfstone
    Welcome back, I did wonder what happened to you, I hope you are well.
    Well done on coming back to us and considering fasting again. It trully is the only diet I have ever been on where I’ve taken a break and then gone back to it later. I took the whole of the 6 weeks holidays off at summer but got back to it once my boys were back at school. So keep in touch with us and try a fast again when you’re ready.
    NEmum

My wife and I have been on the fast Diet for over 8 months now. I have now moved on to 6:1 but my wife still wants to shed an extra kilo or so and fears that for her 6:1 will just add the weight back on. She has got stuck in a weekly cycle of weight loss/gain that is showing no progress for the past 3 months. Except that any trend seems to be upwards! Her weight can fluctuate up to 2kg over 3 days, and yet she has changed her eating habits so that she eats very little for breakfast and lunch and most dinners are low calorie ones. She doesn’t snack, and yet the great progress she was making has stopped and is threatening to reverse. She’s 50 and is concerned that she will be on 5:2 for life just to maintain her weight. Does anyone have any suggestions for what’s going on, or ways to break the cycle?

Hi Kiwi:

If your wife has not lost any weight in three months and is actually gaining weight, then she is eating too many calories.

The answer is to count calories for a week on both diet and non diet days and recalculate her TDEE using the sedentary setting and compare. That will probably explain what the problem is.

Good Luck!

Viewing 50 posts - 5,751 through 5,800 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.