Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,051 through 11,100 (of 28,011 total)

• Yay GDSA I knew you could do it!!! Here’s to you enjoying your holiday and feeling all the trimmer as you set off on it!

Poppylocks and others, I found the below post so relevant to me in that it shows me that if I push too forcefully, my body won’t always cooperate and sometimes I’ll be pushed into a physical or emotional rebound. I’m assuming that since this was posted publically, albeit on another thread that Hermajtomomi wouldn’t mind me copying it here. Hermomajtomomi writes:

“I’m now in my fifth year on 5:2 but have never posted on this thread but this topic interests me.

I’ve been overweight and sometimes borderline obese since childhood and 5:2 is the only diet that’s ever worked for me, despite eating healthily but almost certainly in too large quantities. I’m convinced that intermittent fasting has made all the difference.

“About 8 weeks ago, having so far lost a little over 20% of my starting weight, with various other healthy spin-offs, I switched from the conventional 5:2 pattern to a combination of Jason Fung’s 24-hour fasting (which I find relatively easy) with 2 fast days a week at 800 cal per day.

“I didn’t feel I could realistically stick to 800 cals for 7 day a week so I took up Dr M’s suggestion of following the 5:2 pattern for a less dramatic loss. The main difference was to be especially vigilant on sugar and processed carbs but a little more generous with “good” fats. For much of the time I followed recipes in the BSD cookbook.

“I’m sorry to say it didn’t work. I REGAINED 3 kilos. I should point out that I’m probably one of 5:2’s slowest losers and something of a plateau queen – and I mean plateaux that last for up to 5 or 6 months on end – which has meant an average annual weight loss of around 4.5 kilos. So this gain could cost me nearly a year’s extra work. Now I find myself back on a plateau and after 4 weeks, still failing to shed even a fraction of the regained 3 kilos, which has left me more than a little disheartened.

“My conclusion is that I’m one of those who needs to watch not only sugar but also fat intake. I wish I’d stuck to the principle of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but of course this doesn’t mean that others won’t find it works brilliantly for them.”

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-diet-vs-the-8-week-blood-sugar-diet/#post-200964

Good evening everyone,
    Second FD in a row nearly done. Dinner has been had and I am feeling satisfied (thankfully). It has been a harder FD than I have had recently, the tummy was really growling late this arvo and I had to stock up at the shops for my brekky and meals tomorrow. I did this at this time due to my 14year old daughter needing picking up from acting classes with the local kids production company and you need to keep busy in the late afternoon no matter what the chore. I also have a 10year old boy who doesn’t need acting classes, the biggest show off going around, very entertaining though.

My upcoming suit purchase is exciting. We have 73 colours to choose from and I love bright colours so I am looking to combine mine to be a bright yellow jacket and aqua pants but I will wear a white Tshirt beneath the jacket and roll the pant legs up one or two folds and hopefully find some white shoes to wear with no socks Don Johnson style. I am also going to let the hair grow until then and maybe go with a New Romantic style hairdo. Pleats for the pants would be awesome but I am afraid they may stuff them up. What do you all reckon should I risk it with the pleats? Let me know. I grew up in the 80’s and still live there where possible.
    Our winery walkabout costs us $90 each which includes a bus, entry to the participating wineries (50 odd to choose from we will visit 6 an hour at each) and nibbles food including subway sandwiches for 15 of us. Good value and a big day.

I won’t be doing back to back FD’s again, too hard. It was very noticeable in the afternoon with the emptiness feeling. You can do it but you want to be able to continue with a lifestyle. I don’t believe I will eat extra tomorrow as my point of feeling full is much less than it used to be. I have already seen my lowest numbers on the scales this morning before going to work so should be good tomorrow morning.

Meals for both days:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total for each day 1500kj or 358cals.

Hi again,
    Posting regarding the discussion for the disenchanted poster Poppylocks
    It can be disheartening seeing the scales go up but this Way Of Eating is no quick remedy. Your body may take three to four weeks or more to adjust to work out what it needs to do. It takes commitment and patience with sticking to under 500cals two days a week if you try more you are more likely to fail, it is not easy at the start. I personally do not count cals on non FD’s, I drink beer every non FD, eat carbs, lots of cheese, nuts and fruit. I get the nuts in their shell and crack them open this slows down the intake after 5 or 6 nuts you are done. I have fruit for a snack, peaches are my favourite at the moment. I reckon I have two snacks a day now and only eat at meal times otherwise, this is learning control because you will feel full afterwards and not need a snack.
    It was on another post that 5:2 is a framework and not everyone is the same, you will find what works for you.
    Stick with it Poppylocks, another poster Slimmerella was saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago then lost 5kg in 2 weeks.
    Anyway just trying to let you know we have all had tough times doing 5:2 and we use the forum to help pick us up and motivate each other. All you wonderful fellow fasters you.
    Night all
    Joffy

Fabulous news Slim, great job! (I think Minka’s accolades were also intended for you). Have a great trip.

Wow, Joffy, what a marathon fast you’re having. Congratulations on the new PB on the scales. Good thing you’re delaying getting the suit. The colours sound outrageous and the pleats get my vote.

Cinque, did you have a good make-up fast today?

Hello to everyone! I am working a double shift tonight, so I don’t have the time I want for in-depth responses, but just on a quick break. I wanted to say to everyone who has been so supportive and so friendly that your kindness is overwhelming, and I feel like I’ve stumbled onto a lovely group of people who understand the struggle. I will hopefully have time tomorrow for a longer reply, but just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all! Warm regards, Poppy. 😊😊

Lol! You’re right Thin! I’m getting newer members mixed up!

poppy, wonderful that you found our comments supportive! I realized after posting and reading them againthat maybe hermajtomoi’s comments didn’t really apply. I think I got what she said as mixed up as I did the comments who was commencing overseas travels!

Joffy, loved reading about your new suit and I’m rather fond of pleats! I missed them when they went out of fashion in men’s clothing. They look rather dashing! Wow, how brave, though fun to be wearing both what I envision as, well could it be called ‘taxi cab’ yellow jacket and tropical sea blue trousers? Sounds like loads of fun to match the event!

Good morning all. Moggy finally came home last night much to D’s delight. Vets very happy with her progress and walking well despite a few wobbly moments. Loving all the extra cuddles she’s receiving too !

Glad it’s Friday only 5 more working days and then miss D and I have two & half weeks off for the school holidays. Will be staying home trying to get on top of house, shed and yard jobs.

Hasn’t been a successful week for weight loss. Have done no exercise at all, failed at both FD’s which has resulted in a scale reading of 70kg which is disappointing as i got down to 68kg. Nevermind – has definitely been a stressful week with moggy plus a few sleepless nights. I’m ready to get myself back on track.

Good morning!
    I had a good fast day yesterday thanks Thin! It fitted well with being very busy helping my daughter prepare to move.
    More today, but this time I am making a big minestrone soup to take over for lunch.

Slim, Congratulations! Hooray that 5kg finally disappeared!

Joffy I loved reading about your suit. I remember watching Miami Vice and those handsome men on it in their light suits! But I had never noticed trouser pleats! So I did a little bit of googling over my morning cup of tea, and I can see trousers in this article that have very nice pleats indeed! http://www.thefashionisto.com/miami-vice-fashion-the-television-classic-that-still-inspires-style/

Poppylocks so good to see you popping in and good luck with that double shift!

Minka I found that comment from the other thread, that you posted, very interesting.

Gday, so glad to hear Moggy is home and adjusting well! I hope you can have a bit of ‘me time’ now and I am sure you’ll be back to 68 before you know it.

I found some research that starts to explain why (with my low activity levels) I react so badly to sugar:
    “Depending on your activity levels, fructose might be doing you a disservice or giving you a leg up”: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/04/05/fructose-friend-or-foe

Off for another cup of tea! Best wishes everyone, for a particularly good day!

Hi all SHs, hope you are all having a good day. It’s 30C in Adelaide today – a welcome bit of sunshine before the cold starts to creep in. I am on a FD and not remotely in the mood for it, but I will persevere.

GDSA, glad to hear your cat is doing so well. Don’t be hard on yourself with the weight gain. I’ve noticed with my own weight loss pattern that bad weeks cause a gain that includes plenty of fluid retention and it comes off very quickly – it’s the body fat that’s been there for ages that’s slower to shift.

Joffy, I vote for pleats too. I remember the 80s look – for the first time suits looked cool. Good on your for sticking to back-to-back FDs – I did it once and never again, that 2nd day feels like it’s never going to end.

Minka, thanks for the quote from Hermomajtomomi, I found it a useful reminder to not doubt myself and what I know about my own body. It is also a reminder to not be influenced by what is currently in favour or being promoted and especially not to believe that what works for someone else will necessarily work for me. By trial and error we find out what works and what our limits are – I’ve noticed that we all find our own unique balance of answers – sometimes there’s a lot of overlap with others and sometime not much. Sometimes people are so enthusiastic about what works for them that they evangelise as if they need to convince others to validate their own conclusions – I think we all have moments where it’s easy to be swayed by these loud voices and doubt ourselves. So thanks for the quote, it’s a useful reminder that we shouldn’t doubt what we know about ourselves just because others have different views.
    I’m really glad that we have such a friendly supportive approach on this forum thread, with people offering their experience and advice in a helpful way. Some of the other threads on this forum that I’ve read are awful, as people fight for the supremacy of their particular viewpoint over what we should be eating or how we should be exercising – I really don’t find that a helpful approach.

Poppy, welcome. I am another with a very low TDEE (1400) – there are a few of us here so you aren’t alone with this challenge. It can make weight loss a slower journey and learning how to eat on NFDs has been even more important for me than the FDs. As frustrating as the low TDEE is, I at least finally understand why I gain weight more easily than most other people I know – my calorie needs are less than them. While that feels unfair it is also a fact that isn’t going to go away – in the end I had to find a way to accept it was my truth and live with it.

Hope you all have nice weekend plans. Mine will be largely spent in the garden I think – more bales of pea straw to be spread.

LJoyce yes its certainly a beautiful day her in SA. 34 in my neck of the woods. Thanks for your words of encouragement regarding my weight gain.

To add to an already stressful year my dear dad who has been in a nursing home since xmas isnt going so well. 4 ambulance trips to hospital in the last 3 weeks and he’s not travelling too good so bracing myself for the worst soon. Spent today at A & E with him its so sad to see a once strong man so frail.

2017 has got to be my worst year to date so actually surprised ive managed to stick with FD and lose weight. Perhaps its my focus on FD that has helped me through it all.

My saying is ‘it is what it is’ so just face up to it, deal with it and move forward.

Hope everyone is traveling ok and thank you to all – this forum has been a fantastic support not just around FD but life in general.

Oh and I’ve just started re-reading MM FD & FE to refresh myself.

Hello All

Gday – so sorry this is an annus horribilus for you. Some years just test all our strength and resolve. And it’s especially hard when it involves our frail old folk and all the implications that go along with that. There are so many things we can’t control – maybe your FDs are one thing you can. I hope you have got lots of love and support around you.

LJ I think your comment about ‘know thyself’ is well made. I’m still learning what that picture looks like – and it’s a process I’m finding hugely valuable. As that firms up I guess the next stage is ‘trust thyself’ and recognise that elements of someone else’s picture or the fad of the week may or may not work for you. I do think that the fasting process has made it much easier to build that picture for me. Its like I am freed from food – and can think differently about it. Some things were just immediately obvious – and others are coming to light over time.

One of the things I realised just today was how fear of hunger has lost its power over me. I felt hunger pains this morning – chose to ignore them and distracted myself and then suddenly realised a while later they were gone!

A great thing about this forum is its like a smorgasbord and I can choose what things I want to try – as well as what I learn for myself.

Also I would like to say how great it is when restaurants offer ‘naked’ options for hamburgers etc on their menu! Yesterday was NFD and we were out for dinner with others and I was able to just order without having to specifically ask for ‘no bun’ and draw attention to myself.

FD today and going well – hope you are all too!

GDSA, just wanted to pop in and say my heart goes out to you and I was where you are in similar circumstances when I started 5:2 over two years ago. My Mum went into care with dementia and my Dad now lives with me. My whole world was turned upside down but somehow I followed 5:2 and with the fabulous support of Thin, Cinque, Merry and a few others who no longer post I managed to stay the course and subsequently have lost 21kg.

I think the discipline of this WOL has lots of benefits not just the weight loss. Being with like minded people and not having to explain yourself.

Thinking of you and just keep hanging in there

Hello everyone, I’m afraid I don’t write as much as I’d like but I read everyone’s posts with great enthusiasm. I love it when my Fitbit alerts me to a new post. I’ve been finding the FD pretty doable.Yesterday was a NFD and I woke up suffering with vertigo. I felt too dizzy to exercise so allowed myself a “couch day” and indulged in some very foody comfort. I’m looking forward to my FD which begins at 8pm tonight. I find fasting easier when I’m working. My shift starts at 10pm. Poppy locks, I hope you survive your double shift ok. They can be brutal.I hope everyone has a lovely weekend! 🙂

Just reading today’s posts and Joffy’s second last night as it crossed with mine. Ha ha Minka, though so!

Slim, what you said about being ‘freed from food’ resonates with me strongly. Strict adherence to my two FDs does exactly that. It re-sets my portion control, puts the brakes on potential weight gain, reminds me of healthier choices – all the while giving me the option to be just a little bit naughty most of the time. It doesn’t get any better than that. I once commented here that it was empowering to finally be in control of food rather than the other way round.

Poppy, you’ve already received plenty of tips but I would just add, take a deep breath, read Dr M’s Fast Diet book if you haven’t already and I’d definitely be ditching that third fast, let alone attempting back to back fasting. My advice is always to master the FDs first. Much of the rest comes naturally in time and it’s not all about weight loss – this is a lifetime commitment for increased longevity and better health. We all took different paths to get here but we’re walking out hand in hand.

GDSA, here’s hoping your year gets much better. I hope you find good things in the shed.

Intesha, I’m so pleased you stuck it out with us. It was one aspect of your life that you actually could control in those difficult days.

Freed From Food on Fast Days!

Hello,
    A few of us have some very similar life mottoes. Mine is: ‘Reality is my friend’ Important for me as I spent most of my childhood lost in dreams and finding reality very hostile!

I’m also with those of you who find that 5:2 has freed complicated eating patterns, and urges, and concepts, down to something simpler and a lot more normal!

Gday, I am sending best wishes. I hope you can spend precious time with your dad. It is a hard year for you. I hope you can get over the rough ground as easily as possible, and that an easy gentle time is not too far ahead.

I’m off to my daughters again for more cuddling grandtots while she packs. They were planning to be at a family do today, but have changed plans.

Best wishes to anyone fasting today, and a lovely mindful, happy eating day for those of us who aren’t! Come to think of it, the fasters can also have a lovely mindful, happy eating day… the times you do eat little fasty things!

Hey all Im in Perth too… just finished my first week, FD= Monday and Thursday… -0.6kg… Thursday was much easier than Monday! Happy with that for a start and looking forward to week 2

Welcome Elasticity! We could do with a few more male perspectives. There are a few of us of the 1956 vintage. You’ve come to the right place. NOR or SOR?

Im in Highgate so I take walks around Hyde Park every morning when Im not working tool early…

Just up the road then, I’m in South Perth. I walk 5-10km along the river every morning. A few of us from this thread occasionally meet for coffee so, if that’s something that interests you, we’d love to have you join us. Look forward to hearing your progress. 0.6kg is a great start.

I dont think I would have time for a 5-10km walk and I dont think the pegs would survive either!

I had some mobility issues before I lost 23kg on 5:2. My knees are very grateful. I hope you enjoy similar benefits.

Slimmerella – naked options at restaurants ive never heard of it..tell me more please.

Poppy – i agree with thinatlast that consecutive fast days are not the way to go, MM confirmed this is his FD book – i read that section last night.

Elasticity – welcome I’m sure you will enjoy the forum.

Thanks everyone for kind words on my dad, very much appreciated. On an upwards note moggy is coming along leaps and bounds – quite literally I might add ! D has been showering her with lots of love and attention.

Hey all

Strange thing happened today. My D bought a pinwheel pastry thing for my H. I took a whiff of it in the bag and actually recoiled. It was like I could smell a whole cocktail of artificial everything. I would never have noticed before.

G’day – a ‘naked’ burger is one without the bun. You might do it already. They just serve up all the innards!

A lot of places do it if you ask but recently I’ve started to see them actually on the menu although its not that common yet. Its nice to be able to order something that isn’t an ‘exception’ 😉 I very seldom eat bread and when I do I go for grainy seedy ones as a treat. Its easy for me to pass up a white bun and I’m sure I can taste sugar in brioche buns – but maybe its my imagination.

Once I ordered a naked ‘Reuben’ sandwich – corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese etc. They looked at me like I was insane – but it was the best!

Struggling to stay controlled on my NFD today. Looking forward to my FD tomorrow –
    think it will be actually be easier. Then will do one more before we leave on Wednesday. 4 more sleeps.

Slimmerella i totally get the plastic thing. I notice it too and am overwhelmed at times with the smell. I use absolute minimal chemicals and clean tbe old fashioned way with bicarb and vinegar. I dont even use deodorant – bicarb rubbed onto dry armpits works a treat.
    I slept for just over 10 hrs last night – what a treat !
    Pumpkin soup bubbling away on the stove at the mo….mmmmm

Hello Australian peoples, and all our friends here!

I am new here. I have just read the book. I am on my first day. I need to lose 25 kilograms, which is a challenge. So I am here to work on it.

I am not really sure how to count calories on the non fasting days.

I have some poor eating habits – like eating four or five helpings in one meal. I am working on not doing that.

Comfort eating has been a challenge for me. I did lose four/five kilos and then I got upset and did some binge eating. So one of my focusses is to focus on Mindful eating, which I have found very useful – eating one dessert mindfully meant for the rest of the day that I was able to remember I ate it, and then not eat more because I felt that I had missed out.

I ate tofu/brocolinni breakfast, and had it again for lunch. For dinner I ate a spinach fetta cheese filo pastry, and three koftka balls with tomato sauce.

I joined up so when I finished the 800 calories Blood Sugar Diet, then I have somewhere to come after I do that. ***fingers crossed***

Regards,
    Wadjda

Welcome Wadjda 🙂

Good morning all. Love reading all the posts. The recent comments on “know youself” resonate with me too. Early here, the sun peeked thru my curtain early and that was it, no more sleep for me. FD today, salad planned for lunch, or whenever I need to eat. I find that if I eat about two, I don’t need to have anything else for the day except a few nuts.
    I was listening to a radio interview about ME the other day. I had know idea of how severe and insidious that could be, so to sufferers on this thread, my hats off to you. It is more to luck than planning that this 60 something old bag has reach this age with nothing more to complain about that a bit of BP.
    Have been a bit slack on non fast days this week, and have lost nothing, more vigilance required. I am managing the motel again this week, lots of stairs to climb, about 20 times a day. I am enjoying pilates. She really gives us a work out, I can pull in my gut now. Yay.
    Don’t you just hate the in between sizes when you’re current jeans are too baggy and you can’t get into the next size. I was able to get the zip up on size 18 the other day but the muffin top was really unattractive.
    Have a good week everyone
    Lynn

Thanks for the welcome Goldenheart! 🙂

Hello Elasticity!
    Congratulations on your first week! Welcome here!

Welcome too Wadjda!
    Congrats on doing the 8 week BSD. What was it like?
    5:2 will be like a holiday!
    You can just work slowly at getting Non Fast days better. I don’t count calories but I have a picture in my mind of what a good ‘normal’ serve of food looks like, and I try to just have that, and then wait for the next meal. You’ll figure out what works for you.
    Bingeing is hard, fingers crossed you will be like most of us and your binges will get smaller and further apart.

I love the ‘naked’ option concept Slimmerella! I think I will start asking for it. I can eat good bread, but that white, sweet fluff they use is awful and makes me unwell.

Hi Pin, so glad to see your post! It is cold and windy and raining in Melbourne this morning! I stayed in bed! Congrats on getting below size 18, but Oh dear, you need size 17! With the motel stairs and pilates you will soon be in size 16! I hope you can fit a couple of good fast days in. I hope it is a good two weeks.
    Thanks for your kind words re ME.

Best wishes everyone!

Morning Cinque, it’s a sunny 27C FD. It doesn’t get much better than the weather we’re having now. We saw four dolphins yesterday – different characters from the four spotted last week. They stayed in one spot fishing for 25 mins so I was able to positively ID 3 of them. Usually I’m rubbish at naming them. But I’d say more than half the people out and about don’t even notice the dolphins, so absorbed in their phones.

Pint, the next time you try on the size 18s, they’ll probably be too big for you. Are you leaving for your trip soon?

Welcome Wadj. That’s a great plan to switch to 5:2 when you finish the BSD. From practicing the latter, you’ll already be a pro at calorie counting. However on 5:2, you don’t need to count calories on NFDs. Many of us found that our portion control and food desires were shaped naturally over time on 5:2. So make sure you adhere to the two FDs and practice the mindful eating you speak of on the NFDs. If you find that you’re not losing weight, or you can’t control your bingeing, then you can start to fine tune the NFDs. It has to be sustainable otherwise it’s just a diet like any other. Several of us on this thread have lost over 20kgs – you can do it!

Slim, do you have Grill’d in the east? They do a low carb SuperBun made from all natural quality ingredients: free range whole eggs, almond meal, coconut cream, water, tapioca flour, psyllium husk, honey and salt. It’s gluten, grain & dairy free. And of course, costs extra. At home, I use portobello mushrooms for the ‘bun’.

FD meal today is 80gm steamed asparagus, one poached egg, 50gm smoked salmon, 1tbs FF yoghurt mixed with fresh dill and a squeeze of lime, 195cals. Time for my second coffee.

A warm welcome to our new posters. I am sure you will find this forum a great means of support and dont be afraid to ask questions – no matter how silly you think they may be.

Miss D is playing at a friends house today so im left to do the housework, which has been builing up over several weeks, on my own. Struggling to get motivated but i must get into it and get it over with.

Another great night sleep last night of 8 hours. It takes me several weeks to adjust to end of day lights savings so still feeling a little out of wack.

Enjoying re-reading MM’s books again, lots of advice and facts I’d forgotten about. Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone and happy FD’s.

I had a bleak reminder yesterday of binge triggers can come back to bite me. I was feeling good yesterday morning, happy to have the whole weekend as NFDs. I had done FDs on Sun, Tues & Fri last week – more than ideal but I was trying to move my 2NFD+1FD schedule so that I could have easter Sun&Mon as NFDs. I received a call about a 30th birthday dinner that I’m meant to go to Monday night – my next planned FD. I dithered about how to rearrange things and decided to do a FD today instead on Monday. Well that decision seemed to trigger a binge which lasted all Saturday afternoon. I ate my way through a muesli bar, 1 1/2 muffins, 2 handfuls of almonds, 2 handfuls of crackers and 2 slices of cheese. To top it all off I then raided my easter purchases and ate some of the easter chocolates I had bought to give to someone else for easter (they had sat in a bag in my kitchen for 3 weeks untouched). I felt physically ill by the end of all that and a bit shocked – I hadn’t had any binge episodes since starting the new routine of 2NFD between FDs so this lapse was unexpected. I guess I should have realised that having my plans changed unexpected is always a risk for me – it can trigger binge behaviour. I then compounded the problem by moving a FD forward (this would make it 4 FD in 8 days) – adding another binge trigger.

With hindsight it’s easy to see how stupid that decision was. I think the better solution would have been to just skip the planned FD on Monday (which I did consider but was too scared to choose) – it probably would have amounted to less calories in the long run. So my promise to myself is no more FDs with only one NFD separation, it’s just not worth the fallout.

I am dealing with the after effects today, feeling sluggish, unusually thirsty and with no appetite. I will make sure I drink plenty of water and do a veggie stirfry for dinner if I feel like eating by then.

Hi LJoyce, wow I feel your pain re the bingeing brought on by a change in plans. I too have to prepare myself ahead of FD. Tomorrow my partner’s son and family arrive for Easter and while I’m really looking forward to it I know I will have to stay focused. This is only my third week so I have only just started to change some ingrained bad habits. Fingers crossed. Even after such a short period I too notice the difference if I overeat. It’s quite a journey we’re all on.

LJ, sorry about your setback. Would it be helpful to get on this thread and post next time you feel that urge coming on? I’m sure there’s always someone lurking or not too far away. OK, so you’re still fasting today? It’s only going to get better ….

Hi, thanks Goldenheart & Thin.
    Thin – yes I’m fasting today. With no appetite today a NFD wasn’t really an option. Yesterday I did think of logging on and asking for help. I even got to the point of logging in and after a few minutes of staring at the screen not knowing what to write I logged out again and walked away. I’m even contemplating the uncomfortable thought that perhaps I actually didn’t want to be helped yesterday.
    I think the reason it hit me so hard was that things had been going so well and I felt so much better about food, appetite and portion control that the speed with which old behaviour patterns were able to take over again was both alarming and depressing – it raised the though that I will never be free of this, I’ll always be fighting this battle. I know that I’ll put this behind me and perk up again.

LJ, I can’t say anything helpful that you haven’t already worked out for yourself. But at least you know someone’s listening. You’ve had this ‘issue’ for a long time and these things don’t get unlearned overnight. Even if you don’t rid yourself of it completely, I’m guessing you’re doing way better than you had been in the past. Maybe you could copy/paste & date what you wrote above into a private diary and read the entries when you feel like bingeing again. Even if it doesn’t stop you, and I’m sensing it’s a compulsion like a runaway train, you’d have a record of frequency and might be comforted by a realisation that it’s happening less often? Feel free to disregard, I’m only thinking out loud.

LJ – that’s rough, sorry you had a bad day. Sounds like things will even out over the two days but it’s the head thing isn’t it and once the dragon wakes up…. Feel better!

G’day – I’m not sure if pinwheel was the right word to use. Its like a pastry snail with raisins but bready? I took a whiff and even the cinnamon smelt artificial. Interesting you mention plastic. If I drink from a plastic PET bottle like a diet coke, or eat from a plastic spoon that has a rough edge – my lip will swell up like an allergy. I always thought plastic was inert – but it’s happened too often to be coincidence.

Elasticity – welcome. I’m a newbie too – just a month. But I’ve learned a tremendous amount from this forum in that time.

Hey Goldenheart!

Thin we do have Grill’d – but I haven’t tried it yet. I will save that one for a treat in the future. Thanks for the heads-up about the buns!

Wadjda – comfort eating is so hard. I have a couple of boxes of NZ custard powder. Custard is my ultimate comfort food. Haven’t needed it of late – but maybe I should put a plan in place now for when I really think I do!

Pin – apart from NLNL dance, Pilates is the only exercise I can stick to. It has totally sorted out my balance. And I even know where my glutes are now – when I started I couldn’t isolate them at all! My goal is to get strong enough to go to mat classes – Hopefully not too far away now. I had a rotator cuff injury and muscle tear in my shoulder a while ago and rehab has taken a while. My whole left side has become weaker. Pilates is sorting it though!

FD tomorrow. Very best to all!

Lj, sorry you had such a bad day. Count it as a learning day, “wont do that again”, onward and downward as Merry would say. Recognising my triggers has been hard, thought it was only wheat, but even gluten free can do it to me. The later I can eat in the day the better I can stay on track.

Thin, still 4 months before my trip, but that time seems to be going so fast. I would love to reach double digits before then, that’s 7 kgs away, impossible probably. That will be size 16, can’t wait.

Slim, I really like the pilates, and I haven’t had cramp at night since I started, it could be the increased magnesium tho.

Cinque, thanks for your kind encouragement, the clothes thing is problematic when you are on a limited income and need to replace everything, I have become a fan of recycle shops, $4 for jeans.
    Have a good day all. Lynn

Good morning,
    I am here with little miss 2 year old granddaughter (currently eating breakfast) as it is moving day for her family.

LJoyce, I’d take the binge day as a learning experience too. It isn’t reasonable that a long term habit your body has been using as a strategy to cope with anxiety could suddenly, completely, disappear. But, depending on just how many easter eggs you ate ;), it wasn’t that bad. You ate yummy satisfying things, you were aware of it coming on, and you are aware of the consequences. Those things take such a long time to sink into our brain, but every binge they take another little step. And hooray for 5:2, you get an easy reset and counterbalance. That’s my perspective on them anyway!

Must go and take the little one for a walk before it rains again. See you all, hooray for pilates and recycle shops!

Hi all, thanks for the support. Yes Cinque it has been a learning experience. I realised that I have trouble asking for help, probably because my “role” in my family was to make others happy and to never be needy. On some level I must still believe that I’m not entitled to ask for help. Something for me to work on – like I need another issue!

I am back on a much more even keel today. My “down” moods are rare and always extremely short lived thankfully. My appetite has kicked up a notch today as it’s unexpectedly cold here (forecast for Adelaide Hills is just 14C today and I’m definitely feeling the chill despite the fleecy tracksuit) – 3 days ago I had the aircon on and today it’s the heater! A sudden change to cold weather always seems to make me hungry so skipping lunch so that I can have more choices tonight is not an option.

I’ve looked at the menu for tonight’s restaurant and have made tentative choices – I will probably choose the main and dessert that appeal most unless they have interesting specials. I’ve roasted some cauliflower so that I can make my favourite roasted cauliflower salad for lunch – hopefully it will tide me over until dinner time, although there is a banana waiting in the wings if needed.

Welcome Elasticity and Wadjda – sorry I’ve been a bit slow with my welcomes – I was having a bit of a meltdown. Wadjda well done for tackling the BSD that’s quite an undertaking – I did 12 weeks on a VLCD a few years ago that was 800cals per day – it’s a very tough ask to do that every day.

Hope you are all having good days – fast or otherwise.

Hi everyone,

Welcome Elasticity and Wadjda🙂

I’m still away from home and out of routine. Back home soon. Shifted my Monday FD to tomorrow and Thursday’s will go to Friday as I do need those 2 nonFDs between. I get to catch up with reading but not able to post much till I’m home. Who’se doing what gets a bit muddled along the way, so sorry I’m not able to answer individually much. We’ve been here to help and provide some extra hands, and it’s been good. I’m not able to do much heavy stuff but I have been operating on an almost continuous laundry duty. Today is sunny and windy and will help dry out the north coast.

Joffy – I vote for the pleats. Tall men, especially, wear pleated pants well. Looking at the photo of Don Johnson, those pants had a double pleat and were linen, and no belt. Your suit will be great. I like the 2 colour thing.

L J – there are 3 sorts of days – Fast Days (FDs), nonFast Days (NFDs), and learning days, or maybe they should be Learning Days. (LDs).. not officially a 5:2 day, but definitely something that wenall go through occasionally. They are different depending on the person and whatever food issues they’ve had, but we all have them in some form or other. They may come on a FD or a nonFD, and are very necessary and beneficial if you look for, understand, and learn from the lessons they teach. Successful 5:2ers all say they’ve learnt more than they expected from the 5:2 experience. That’s why so many of us call it a journey, and why so many of us, especially us older ones, see it as a lifestyle change we’ll continue to do. I haven’t always liked my LDs but I’ve sure appreciated them and what I’ve learnt. What I’ve learnt about myself and my relationship to food has freed me from any control food has over me. It doesn’t mean I don’t struggle occasionally. I do. But it means that I go through those days without beating myself up, feeling guilty or thinking it’s all over. I know now I’m in control and it’s only a very short time that it takes for 5:2 to have me back on track. I can eat and drink what I want when I plan to because now I know how to do it and stay healthier and a normal weight. In other words, priceless! It took me a while to get to this point – 2 yrs, and it was worth every step of my journey.

If you fall off the horse, get back on.
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Agree Merry. I believe that mastering and strict adherence to the two FDs is key to our long-term success. The other five days are for absorbing our individual food glitches while shaping our behaviour over time. Embed two FDs into your weekly routine and you’ll always have access to the toolbox.

This being the official 5:2 website, here’s a reminder of how its authors say the Fast Diet works:

“If we were to distill the Fast Diet into a single sound-bite, it would all come down to 5:2. That’s five days of normal eating, with little thought to calorie control and a slice of pie for pudding if that’s what you want. Then, on the other two days, you reduce your calorie intake to 500 calories for women and 600 calories for men.

Since you are only fasting for two days of your choice each week, and eating normally on the other five days, there is always something new and tasty on the near horizon. In short, it’s easy to comply with a regime that only asks you to restrict your calorie intake occasionally. It recalibrates the diet equation, and stacks the odds in your favour.

Bear in mind that the programme is designed as a well-signposted path towards a longer, healthier life; weight loss is simply a happy adjunct to all of that.”

Do you hear that LJ? Have a piece of pie tonight if that’s what you want. If not, don’t. Enjoy yourself!

Hi and welcome Elasticity and Wadjda!

I just caught up on posts and want to extend moral support to you GDSA with the stress of your life changing as your mum and dad’s circumstances also changed.

Thin, what a delight to see dolphins you actually recognize as familiar and that some have names! What a wonderful place you get to walk!

Tee, hee! Even McDonalds offers a ‘Naked’ burger option instead of a bun with its ‘Creative Tastes’ menu! I’ve ordered it when there has been no other option, such as Christmas night when all other restaurants are closed. I was actually impressed since I was also able to choose pesto sauce, a range of other vegetables such as grated carrot, onion slices, sun dried tomato and at least at the time could choose the type of lettuce I wanted my burger wrapped in and I chose Cos lettuce and the burger was beautifully served on a wooden cutting board. Admittedly, it wasn’t cheap. I had to pay extra for a lot of the ‘goodies’ I added on, though it was worth it. It tasted as good as it looked with all veges crisp and fresh. The following year on Christmas night I opted for a chicken salad that was also beautifully served in a porcelain bowl and the chicken was grilled and real, not the chopped, pressed and breaded stuff I’ve been served in fancier restaurants. I just thought to mention this if anyone in the forum is caught out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but other fast food places such as KFC and greasy spoons that McDonald’s offers something at least, in a pinch.

LJ, I feel for with your binge triggers. I know how challenging these can be since I feel mine often come out of the blue from unexpected places. I admire that you stopped yours in its tracks as soon as you did and want to acknowledge your strong constitution in that you reported a FD without excessive hunger or other ill effects. To me all that points to the healthy choices you’ve been making otherwise (like working in your beautiful flower garden which I regard as a healing practice in itself).

Cinque and LJ, I’m glad you enjoyed Hermajtomomi’s post up there at the top of the page.

Merry, I so agree with you about how important it is to refrain from beating myself up when I’ve strayed from what I consider ‘healthy eating’. I’ve certainly done a lot of that over the past couple of weeks.

Sometimes I’ve started to wonder if I really know what ‘normal’ eating actually is! …Of course I do, deep down, though sometimes when I’m living out of old habits I lose touch. That’s what FDs are all about, they help me find my way back.

With regard to positive vs. negative incentives, in that Dr. Helena Popovic link to her interview with ABC radio, she compared two weight loss studies. Both involved overweight individuals whose fat had become a risk to their health. One study informed participants of their ill health would shorten their lives and used that as incentive for them to stick to the prescribed diet. This group succeeded in shedding the weight, however, when followed up 2 years later, most all of them had gained it all back and some had gained back more. Another study utilized meaningful positive reinforcement as an incentive for those shedding weight. Among other things participants were asked to write down 50 ways their life would improve by shedding weight and were guided through a number of visualizations about these reasons. This group also successfully followed the program and shed weight though when surveyed 2 years later 75% of them had kept it off. To me, this points to the power of knowing the positive reasons why we are losing weight. I can’t remember if it is in the book or from that talk she gave but she mentions that when she works with clients she advises that they also find at least 50 tangible reasons how/why their lives will be better when they are slimmer. She intimates that the making of this list actually grows new neural pathways in the brain which acts as an incentive not only for keeping with the plan during weight loss phase, but as ongoing incentive once goal weight has been reached.

Good morning all. FD for me today and for the first time in weeks I’m prepared. Its 5.30 am and about to have 2 scrambled eggs with a heap of spinach. Ive never added anything to scrambled eggs as i have them undercooked compared to how most people seem to have them so they are creamy and soft without adding cream etc.
    Will go all day without food until tea tonight so therefore will be a 12 hour fast.
    Slimmerella yes I did misinterprete your post haha.
    I enjoyed last nights MM episode of Trust Me Im A Doctor as well as past weeks. Is it a new series or repeat series that i have may have missed episodes of before ?
    I found the exercise experiment interesting. Men burnt more calories when exercising on an empty stomach whereas women burnt more on a full stomach. Will be jumping on the treadmill straight after brekky !
    Better go before the day gets away from me. Happy Tuesday everyone.

Hi GDSA! I’m joining you in fasting today! Your eggs and spinach sound delicious. I’ve decided to have cottage cheese and blueberries a little later. Since the temperature is feeling nippy, so I’ve decided to opt for La Zuppa soup.

Happy fast day to any others joining us and nourishing and mindful NFD for everyone else!

Hi Everyone!
    I have a confession to make…
    Yesterday was my third succesful FD i.e. first FD of my second week. I couldn’t resist but… but….
    I stepped on the scales and I’m -2.8kg!!!!!

My first FD was a bit of a shocker but the last two FD’s have been bearable, ‘filling’ myself up with green and black tea to curb the hunger pangs and 2 RealFoods CornThins Original crackers (13 cal each) with a tin of tuna.

Without any effort yesterday I was satisfied and only took in about 380 cals.

I had to go for a fasting blood test this morning and had to queue behind a few people, I was just dying for a tea, coffee or cereal…. now that was the longest 30 minutes of my life… home now and had a boiled egg with smoked salmon on a CornThin and a coffee…

Life is good!

I think I’m getting into the habit of eating only as much as I need, and only when I am hungry.

Hi SHs

Elasticity – well done on the weight loss, I hope those FDs are getting easier. I’m a tea drinker as well, I wouldn’t get through the FDs without them. Although I dislike black tea so I allocate enough calories to a cup of LF milk so that I can drink my tea milky, the way on like it. As the weather gets colder a pot of veggie soup can be a help on a FD too.
    If you have learned already to match eating with appetite you are doing exceptionally well – it’s taken me so long to learn that and it’s still a work in progress. I’m afraid I’m a bit like Thin without a really clear idea of what “normal” eating really is. I understand it through observation rather than experience.

GDSA – yes the current Trust Me I’m A Doctor” is series 4 and it’s been on before (I have them all recorded on my hard drive so I went back and checked.) Hope you enjoy the green eggs – I often add either fresh or thawed frozen spinach to scrambled eggs or omelets. A sprinkle of parmesan on top just brings all the flavours together beautifully.

Minka thanks for the info on positive reinforcement. I think it’s easy to lose sight of why we’re doing this. I did that on Saturday – all of my critical goals are around health and I’ve lost enough weight to manage those quite well. Any more weight I lose is basically “window dressing”, so why the need to keep the FD and not drop one – there are clearly competing needs battling it out in my subconscious and focusing on my real goals might help me make better choices. I also notice that one of the important things about the Helena Popovic info is that the real success was around maintaining the weight loss – that’s usually the hardest part. It isn’t surprising that being focused on why we wanted to lose weight in the first place and all the things we gained by losing weight helps us want to hang onto those benefits long term.

Merry – yes is was a learning day and has uncovered some issues I wasn’t consciously aware of. Better to have those issues out in the open where I can tackle them, rather than behaving like a hidden saboteur undermining my choices.

Thin – I do hear you, and yes I did have pie – 2 in fact – I had rabbit pie for main and cheesecake with lemon curd for dessert. I didn’t finish either serve but ate until satisfied and both were really lovely.

My cousin’s daughter turned 30 yesterday so we went to the Uraidla Hotel (in the Adelaide Hills) for dinner. The food and company were both very nice and I chose to order the things that appealed most and eat until my hunger was satisfied. The hotel has been recently renovated and the decor is great but really wacky. Initially you don’t notice it, you just see the huge bare stone walls, massive fireplace and triple height void above the dining room. After a while you realise that the wine glass racks are actually garden rakes with the glasses hanging on the prongs and the massive chandelier in the triple height area is actually a wooden table that has 8 standard lamps attached to it, complete with old fashioned frilly lampshades and the whole massive contraction is suspended upside-down from the roof. In the main foyer the chandelier is made from a windmill and the wall sconces are old leadlight windows. And although I didn’t see them personally, the urinals in the men’s bathroom are recycled beer kegs. Talk about inventive decor. I’ve attached a link to some photos that will give you an idea.
    https://www.yelp.com.au/biz_photos/the-uraidla-hotel-uraidla

Today is the first time since starting intermittent fasting that I have followed a meal out with a NFD. Previously I’ve always done a FD immediately after. However I’m determined to stick to my preferred 2NFD+1FD pattern from now on which means tomorrow is the next FD. That said, I am monitoring my appetite and haven’t felt hungry yet today, so I expect my intake will end up being fairly modest today if I just follow my appetite.

Hope everyone is having a good day. It’s another cold day in Adelaide although the sun is making a valiant effort to find a gap in the clouds. I think we’re going back to the mid-20s by easter which will be lovely.

LJoyce thanks for that i thought some bits of MM’s TMIAD i had seen before and some bits not. Mid 20’s in my part of SA and absolutely divine in the sunshine.

Love the hotel pics – those quirky little places are fun – how on earth do they come up with those ideas, very creative indeed.

My local pub in our little country town has an open fireplace which they always have going from opening to closing time during winter. Like the rest of the pub it would be an original fixture from 1885 – very little if anything at all has changed which is just the way i like it!
    FD going well so far. My belly was growling around 11ish so kept sipping the water and pushed through it. Have kept very busy to keep my mind off food.

New pair of jeans today, previously was a size 14 now fit comfortably into a size 12…..yippee

GDSA – size 12 jeans sounds like quite an achievement to me and definitely worth a happy dance – preferably done in the new jeans. I’m still in size 16 jeans due to the size of my thighs, everything else is comfortably a 14 now. If I end up a 12-14 in everything I’ll be happy with that.
    Hope your town is a good place to live. Country towns have plenty of advantages and some drawbacks. I grew up in a country town in SA and while I miss people I don’t really miss the place, it just wouldn’t have offered me the career I wanted and frankly the heat in summer was truly unbearable (the frosty mornings in winter weren’t much better). I left to go to university and never returned to live there again – although I visited family often. I moved to the Adelaide Hills about 2 decades ago as this was where my dad was originally from and I still have a lot of extended family here. I feel like I now have the best of both worlds. I live in a town that feels much more like a country town than a city suburb and I have family who just pop in whenever. But, thanks to the freeway and tunnel that cut so much time from the old journey, I’m only about 30mins from Adelaide CBD. I just wish there were small flat affordable blocks available so that I could build something suitable for retirement but everything is sloping and large and far too expensive for my retirement housing budget, so I’ve resigned myself to moving back to the suburbs to flatter ground and a small courtyard home and freeing up some of the capital value in my home.
    Hope the rest of your FD goes well.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,051 through 11,100 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.