Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 day, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 28,001 through 28,015 (of 28,015 total)

• Hi friends

How can we already be halfway through Autumn? I must say, after a cold start, the weather has been mild and lovely lately. I’m still in short sleeves although the early morning dog walk now requires a fleece for the first 10 minutes until you warm up

I was sorry to read about your ongoing foot problems Thin, I have been thinking about that and kept forgetting to ask. I’m glad you managed to get in to see the orthopaedic doctor

I only knew one grandparent, my paternal grandmother, and she lived next door to Mum and Dad all their married life (well until she passed away). She was not a very nice person and gave my poor Mum hell but she put up with it out of love for my Dad. When Mr Anzac and I got engaged, Nana was in a home and not doing well. My Mum said “your [bleeping] grandmother will die just before your wedding just to spite me” Guess what? She did. A year later and 8 days before the wedding we had a funeral to arrange that was 2 days before the wedding. It actually worked out well because the relatives coming from other parts of NSW were able to attend both without returning home. Anyway, I can’t remember much about what she cooked but as a fussy eater child I remember thinking ‘yuck, more stewy stuff’. Ha ha

Weight has crept up a bit this week, must be more mindful.

Cinque I hope your grogginess was fleeting? You asked about work, it is up and down but not too crazy thankfully. Yet. That part is coming

Take care all

Anzac, oh my goodness, that story sounds like the makings of a comedy movie. “A Wedding And A Funeral”.

Thin, it was a frantic, fraught time of course but both funeral and wedding went well (apart from my bridesmaidzilla…..for another story)

Hi all just wanted to post and let you know I am still here. Today I finally cleared out the house. All my furniture has now gone into storage and I’ve rented a separate storage unit so that I can access clothes etc. so so stressful and costing me a small fortune. I have been living in a budget hotel for the past three nights, how life changes. Saturday I will transfer to a hotel at the airport as my flight leaves at 6am Sunday. With what has happened in Dubai I’m anxious as that is my first port of call before Istanbul. On my return I have booked into a motel for 3 weeks while I try to find somewhere to live. I’m still leaning towards Goulburn as the rents seem more reasonable there. I can’t believe I am homeless. I am totally exhausted and any thought of eating healthy is not going to happen until I return. I have know idea of my weight but can only imagine it has skyrocketed with all the stress and not being able to plan. Anyway I will post again when i get back from Turkey. Think about me on Anzac Day as I will be at the dawn service at Gallipoli. Have to leave the hotel at 1.30am. It will be a very emotional long day. Take care everyone x

Have a safe trip, Intesha. It’s virtually an Aussie rite of passage to attend the Gallipoli dawn service. I can totally empathise about the storage locker and the absurd cost associated with it. Ours is now the cost of a small mortgage payment and we try not to think about it too much. At the time, it was the most practical solution (and a quarter of what we’re now paying) but, of course, we never thought it would stretch to close on five years. Thank goodness for all the junk that I managed to dispose of.

Now, with the cost of housing in Perth, we joke about moving in to the storage locker ourselves if/when we return. I wonder whether you’ve considered house/pet-sitting as a means of giving you a bit of time to look for suitable housing? If it’s something that might appeal to you, I can give you the name of the company I’ve been using for years. It’s also a good way of exploring a specific area while living like a local. The sits can be a matter of days or months.

Anzac, I’m sure it was a very distressing time for the young bride to be. Relatives, eh? Looking forward to the bridesmaid story.

I’ve just returned here because I have a memory of someone saying that they were scheduled to have a colonoscopy that we have all forgotten to enquire about. Did I imagine that? I thought it was you, Anzac. I can’t find it now.

Yes that was me Thin, I had one a few weeks ago. Great news – everything was fine and he was most impressed with my ability to manage the diverticulitis; only one hospital visit and two minor flare-ups in three years. I have pouches on both sides of the colon whereas most sufferers have them only on the left. So my never-wavering daily intake of fibre has done the trick.

Now why can’t I have that level of focus and will power on the rest of my diet? Therein ponders the big question. Sigh

I’m sorry to hear about your housing situation Intesha. I hope you find somewhere asap when you return from Turkey and I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I will be thinking of you on Anzac day

Hi all
    Nothing to report – which I guess in a way is good news.
    My weight is not at all stable. I’m living with a lot of stress at the moment, and I do think that affects it. I also have less control, as I try to live with other stuff. Looking after the little girl on the school holidays and she fell out of a tree, and broke her wrist. We got her to medical care very quickly, but my daughter is very upset with me for not phoning her until we got home from the emergency clinic. I’ve never had a falling out with my DD before, and it has shattered me, to be honest. I thought we’d done the right thing.
    We are going for a week-long beach holiday next Saturday week. I’m so looking forward to the freedom of it. We’ll put the dogs into the kennel and although I adore them, I am looking forward to the freedom of being able to walk out the door without a leash in hand.
    I will come back to everyone’s posts – I just wanted to say hello, conscious I’ve been MIA for a little while.

I’ll write properly tomorrow.
    But Lindsay, just have to say how much I feel for you going through this with your daughter. I can imagine the distress. But I also know she will just have felt shock and distress and taken it out on you in extremis. I do hope the chasm closes easily and soon.

Hello everyone,
    It is a beautiful day in Melbourne, so I hope to get out and do some things in the garden. But first, coffee and chat.

I’m going okay, but still not quite knocking off the extra inch or so around my tum. Every day is a new day and today is going well.

Anzac I do hope that this might be your last ever work EOFY, and that it is a (comparatively) easy one.

So glad your colonsocopy results were so good. Excellent management.

Intesha, good to hear from you and so much sympathy for your homeless state. You have done so well storing everything and organizing what you will do when you get back from Turkey. I hope you can enjoy every minute travelling.

Oh dear, I can remember being in my twenties when that situation wouldn’t have bothered me at all.

Nowadays, ringing my doctor and getting a message that the number is no longer connected was enough to give me conniptions. (Their phone was down for a day). (I had to work out how to spell ‘conniptions’ and then look up what it actually meant).

Lindsay, sympathy about that up and down weight in stressful times. What can we do but the best we can. I do hope your beach holiday will be a wonderful stress free week.

I hope granddaughter’s wrist is healing well.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Thin, Neil, Gday, Turn and anyone else reading.

I’m off to see what good things I can do in my little garden. I wonder if I will see any broadbean shoots.

Best wishes, I hope everyone has a day without too much stress, and enough energy to do all the good things,

Cheers

Good morning,

Anzac, good news on the colonoscopy. I meant to ask before, then forgot. Posts are less frequent these days which in some ways is easier to follow than the frenetic posting of previous years but I’m afraid I lose track of my own time, let alone that of others’ so I’m sorry I neglected to ask before.

Cinque, I hope you have a productive day in the garden. Or a pleasant one at least.

Lindsay, that’s sad about the rift. I can appreciate both sides of that situation. But your DD has entrusted you with her precious daughter’s care and, with that, comes acceptance of your judgement to carry out the task as you see fit. Hopefully, she’ll come to appreciate that you were only acting in the best interests of all concerned. And that she’s very fortunate to have you to depend upon for child-minding.

We are slowly travelling north on the Oxford Canal, a section of stunning scenery that we’ve cruised four times before but always with a deadline to get somewhere else. After 45 minutes of cruising, we became so cold that we moored just short of a picturesque lock and went for a long walk. On return, my day took a significant upturn when, across the canal, I spotted two otters swimming, diving for shellfish and enjoying a meal out of them from within a watery den. Their teeth are huge! One then swam to the lock, climbed out, lumbered along the towpath, rolled in the grass, took a look at me and then disappeared into the hedgerow. Otters are notoriously shy and sightings are rare so I was very excited.

I put the camera trap out but we’ll be lucky to see them again as their territories extend 40 km and there’s a river adjacent to the canal. Of course, I’m keeping a keen lookout and telling no one.

Day after FD and I didn’t make the 59s which is annoying.

Good afternoon. I thought it was time I let you know I haven’t fallen off the perch!

I have been without a functioning laptop and I hate posting on my phone – the text is too small to see easily and when I expand it I can’t see whole sentences to check them and editing is difficult. I decided to delay buying a new laptop until the end of FY sales – usually the cheapest time to buy tech items. While I can still do most things on my phone, i really dislike the tiny screen for some things like internet searches, emails (especially with attachments) and posting here.

Not having laptop access means I also don’t have access to my meal planning spreadsheet. That really worried me initially, but my weight has been stable without any meal planning/monitoring. It reinforces what my dietitian said at our last appointment- that I have learned a healthy response to balancing food intake that is now instinctual. She actually suggested that I didn’t need to see her anymore. I decided to just see her annually and will review that decision next year. Amazing to reflect on the type of disordered eating behaviour i lived with for decades.

It seemed to switch from warm to cool weather almost overnight here. I have accordingly switched from salads to soups and have been on a soup making spree in recent days. My freezer is groaning with the new additions.

Take care all.

Morning all, sorry I haven’t posted for a while, but I’ve been really hectic.

We’ve been keeping an eye on property listings at the moment, because my wife is struggling with her health a bit and wants a house with a flatter smaller section. We aren’t seriously looking until our younger boy finishes school in 2 1/2 years, by which time our mortgage should be almost paid off. But if something perfect came up in the meantime we were going to pull the trigger. Something perfect did come up so I’ve been running around getting appraisals on our house, contacting the bank trying to organise finance, and starting to do some renovations so our house would be ready to go on the market if our offer was accepted. Well, our bank was ridiculous, even though out mortgage is only $40k and we were offering $450k on the house we wanted, they wouldn’t give bridging finance for a few weeks so we could get our house sold, that meant that we had to put in an offer conditional on selling our house. Unfortunately, that meant that our offer was turned down because there was a slightly lower cash offer on the table, and they went for that.

The whole situation has prompted me to get our house all in order, so if we do find something else, we can pull the trigger and get it on the market straight away. I’ll also go through a mortgage broker to see if we can find another bank to lend us the money. I didn’t do that this time, because we needed to get the offer in straight away, so I didn’t really have time to look at other banks. But we’ve started wallpapering the tired looking walls in the hall and two of the bedrooms, changing curtains, fixing up all the little things I’ve been putting off doing for ages.

That led to a bit of stress eating and I gained a kilo over the last two weeks. I’m hoping that now that the house stuff is no longer as urgent that I can settle back into my normal eating/exercise routine.

Hello everyone,

Thin, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy hearing your tales of wildlife around you. Cheers to those sharp-teethed otters. Not long ago I watched Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s wild west series and was sorry to finish it. Your posts are as delightful.

Hope it is this week for the 59s.

LJoyce, I have been thinking of you, and kept meaning to do a call out to see how you were going.
    How frustrating to be without laptop access, the EOFY sales seem too long away (from my point of view, I like to have lots of posts from you).
    I do agree with the difficulty of doing much on the phone, I find them too fiddly and hard to see too. Oh the frustration of not being young and quick anymore!

But hooray at how being without your spreadsheet let you know you have good set instincts now for meal planning. And hooray for graduating to annual appointments with your dietitian https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BBC049/university-student-in-graduation-robe-cheering-BBC049.jpg

I want good set instincts for my small sized meals and stopping once I have eaten them without thinking ‘a little more should be okay’. But I am gradually learning. And feeling the better for it.

I’ve made soup too! A really delicious one. And I have realised it makes the best end-of-day meal for me, so I am set for the next while.
    Also I am swapping my wardrobes, getting out my boiled wool jackets in many colours and my winter woollies and boots instead of sandals.

Neil, what a roller coaster couple of weeks, and so frustrating to have the sale fall through after everything you did. But hooray for you to get the next plan going. Big cheers for being the sort of person who can do all the renovations, it gives you so much advantage. Be proud.
    And as you say, you will be ready when the next perfect house comes along. (Boo hiss to your bank by the way).
    Fingers crossed for a bit of normality before the next stress point comes along.

I am still car sharing with my daughter, and I have the car today so I will do a little op shop outing as well as going to the library and buying some lemons.

Sending best wishes to everyone for a lovely day, with small delightful meals or a wonderful 5:2 fast, and all good things.

Intesha, how was Gallipoli?

Hi everyone, long time no post again – my apologies!

Intesha, I watched the Dawn Service in Gallipoli and thought of you. It was so moving and I’m sure it was a most amazing experience for you

How absolutely frustrating and maddening Neil. I’m sorry you lost out on a chance to purchase the new home and I hope next time things go more smoothly. Stupid Bank

I’m so glad your small meals are working out well for you Cinque, I really have to watch my portion sizes as I live with a man-mountain who eats ENORMOUS portions so even if mine looks so much smaller than Mr A’s it can still be way too much

Sorry to hear about your laptop LJ, I also hate trying to use my phone. I am all thumbs when it comes to typing on the little screen. Such good news about no longer needing regular appointments with your dietician; that to me signals that you are ‘there’ 🙂

I’m really sorry about your stress levels Lindsay and the accident with you granddaughter. I hope you and your daughter have been able to ease the rift as I’m sure she was just reacting to the shock. How was your week at the beach?

How awesome to see two otters Thin, I would love that. Thanks for the nice words re the colonoscopy, what a relief it was especially given the PTSD about Mr A’s bowel cancer nightmare in 2022/2023

So I only lost 200g in nearly two weeks and decided enough was enough. I bought a gorgeous jacket years ago for the 2019 trip but it came from England and their sizes must be way out as it was too small and I had to go and buy another one even though I lost 15kg. It is still too small (clearly) so I have this week embarked on operation speedy weight loss as it is perfect for the next trip in November. Yesterday and today I got up even earlier than normal and went for a 3km walk around our hilly suburb. Small portion of Mr A’s home-made muesli for breakfast, warm meat salad for lunch and a normal dinner but significant watch on portion size. I lost 300g overnight so whilst I know that velocity can’t be maintained I think it is a step in the right direction

Must run, work hollers. Take care everyone

Viewing 15 posts - 28,001 through 28,015 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.