Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,801 through 10,850 (of 28,011 total)

• Thin – not predictive text, lol, just my linguistic silliness – just checking out 5:2/the forum. Our old warrior is settling in reasonably well, thanks. Not real easy but OK.

It’s bringing up questions of how we handle our elderly years though. How long do we stay where we are etc. At least we will be going into those years as healthy as we can. How good it is that Dr Moseley and 5:2 came into our lives to teach us how to get our weight normal, learnnso much about our own individual responses to food, and give us the means to be confident we can handle our weight issues over time. It’s got payoffs in confidence and health that are awesome. I’ve even started recognising myself in shop windows when I catch sight …..you know what I mean.

Have a good day everyone. FD soup on the menu this evening.

Hi all from cool damp Adelaide – not that I (or my garden) is complaining, it’s a welcome relief from the heat and dry.

Sorry to say Thin that my day yesterday was full of too many calories as well. Dinner came in at around 1000 calories, which would have been fine except that I also had 600 calories at lunch because the change to cold weather made me hungry earlier in the day than usual (along with an afternoon snack and milk for the day I came in at 1900 calories – 500 over my ideal). Dinner at my cousins was lovely – BBQ lamb and beef (I had 2 lamb loin chops) and salads (not as healthy as it sounds as most were gain or potato based and covered in creamy dressings). I had a tiny amount of the creamiest salads and a larger helping of the kasha & chickpea salad that I had made and taken with me and also I had double helpings of a lovely roasted cauliflower salad that my cousin had made (I’ll give you a rough recipie in a minute). I was right to expect both dessert (creme caramel) and birthday cake (chocolate raspberry mud cake), true to form my cousin had provided both. I adore creme caramel and my cousin makes it perfectly so I had a slice of that and refused the chocolate mud cake. What I noticed is that everyone there did the same thing – they chose one or the other – the only person to have both the creme caramel and then the chocolate cake was my cousin’s husband who is a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic!

I mentioned a roasted cauliflower salad. I don’t have a recipie but I checked the list of ingredients with my cousin as I definitely want to make this myself. It had: roasted cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, baby spinach, currants, a few toasted pine nuts, a little chopped fresh mint and the dressing was just greek yoghurt (a really generous amount). The roasted cauli was the main ingredient (about 50% of the volume of the finished dish). This was the only thing on the table that I went back for seconds of – really delicious. I can see it working as a FD meal or an accompaniment to grilled chicken or lamb for a normal dinner.

I’m following Merry’s example, I’m doing a FD today and dinner will be soup – I’ve taken a container of sweet potato & lentil soup out of the freezer so I don’t even have to cook today. Thankfully I have no appetite yet so I’m expecting a fairly easy FD.

I have 2 other meals out this week, but I feel less worried about them. They are both at cafes where I know the menu and can easily make good choices and the weather is getting warm and dry again tomorrow which also usually lowers my appetite, so hopefully I won’t eat too much across the whole day. I am still doing 3 FD this week though, just in case.

Cinque, we usually have several self-sown tomato plants as I do a lot of composting – some of what I spread about probably isn’t quite ready. My OH’s mother used to call them ‘volunteers’ apparently. It’s hard to grow much where we live as it’s very sandy soil and the summers can be so baking hot & dry. So we mostly go for native, water-wise trees and shrubs and don’t grow many veggies. We do have a lime and an orange tree and lots of thriving herbs.

Merry, I think it’s good to think about such things. It’s better to be prepared and in control than having others make life decisions on your behalf. This is all good if you’re planning on sticking around in the same location but we will likely follow our DD so we can at least be on the same continent on which she eventually lands. This makes everything completely unknown but also a great adventure. Yes, joining you in toasting Dr M. for giving us what we all hope will be a longer and healthier life.

I forgot to mention that we followed a lone dolphin for 40 minutes on our walk this morning. Soul, a juvenile, was fishing close to the river bank, tossing fish in the air and generally enjoying life – or so it seemed. We hadn’t seen any for ages.

LJ, good for you for doing another FD today. It sounds like you had a nice evening even if it was a little more than you’d hoped to be eating. The roast cauliflower sounds tasty. Although it’s not funny, I did laugh about the man with diabetes being the only one to indulge in two desserts. I see the same when I go out for coffee. The very people who probably should keep walking past the cake display are the ones stopping to order.

We are the lucky ones – not only are we losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight, we’re also not getting larger with advancing decades like so many people around us. I saw one of my old faves, Michael Caine, in a movie last night – hardly recognised him – 5:2 for him.

Hoping the rest of your Monday FD goes to plan everyone. So worth it.

Note to ramblers like me: Earlier I posted this fine and then, when trying to edit it, it disappeared completely and wouldn’t allow me to re-post but, mwahaha, for some unknown reason, I’d Ctrl C’d it and now, an hour or so later, it’s allowing it – just a reminder to copy your long posts.

Cinque, we usually have several self-sown tomato plants as I do a lot of composting – some of what I spread about probably isn’t quite ready. My OH’s mother used to call them ‘volunteers’ apparently. It’s hard to grow much where we live as it’s very sandy soil and the summers can be so baking hot & dry. So we mostly go for native, water-wise trees and shrubs and don’t grow many veggies. We do have a lime and an orange tree and lots of thriving herbs.

Merry, I think it’s good to think about such things. It’s better to be prepared and in control than having others make life decisions on your behalf. This is all good if you’re planning on sticking around in the same location but we will likely follow our DD so we can at least be on the same continent on which she eventually lands. This makes everything completely unknown but also a great adventure. Yes, joining you in toasting Dr M. for giving us what we all hope will be a longer and healthier life.

I forgot to mention that we followed a lone dolphin for 40 minutes on our walk this morning. Soul, a juvenile, was fishing close to the river bank, tossing fish in the air and generally enjoying life – or so it seemed. We hadn’t seen any for ages.

LJ, good for you for doing another FD today. It sounds like you had a nice evening even if it was a little more than you’d hoped to be eating. The roast cauliflower sounds tasty. Although it’s not funny, I did laugh about the man with diabetes being the only one to indulge in two desserts. I see the same when I go out for coffee. The very people who probably should keep walking past the cake display are the ones stopping to order.

We are the lucky ones – not only are we losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight, we’re also not getting larger with advancing decades like so many people around us. I saw one of my old faves, Michael Caine, in a movie last night – hardly recognised him – 5:2 for him.

Hoping the rest of your Monday FD goes to plan everyone. So worth it.

Hi everyone! It’s ages since I was here – I’ve still been doing 5:2, but now that I’m commuting for work each week, I seldom get to sit down and read this. That will change!

I’m pleased to report that I’ve lost 7.5 kg in the last 9 weeks following this way of life – 5:2 and walking 3-4 times a week. I’ve generally found the fast days really easy – except today, which is why I guess I’m back reading, gleaning tips and tricks, and general encouragement; it certainly is a great resource!

It’s also cooler tonight in Wellington (I work here, my home is in Auckland, where I live with my husband and two sons), and I hadn’t factored in the cold making me hungrier.

I hope everyone is having a great Monday! See you soon!

Well done, Thin, you coped brilliantly with your birthday. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΈπŸ’πŸ’πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ“πŸ“πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

Hi Bay, not really for the length of time I’ve been at this! Ooops, sorry for my two long posts. A few glitches here.

Good morning everyone, I am feeling a lot better this morning, yay.
    Yes my tomatoes were all self sown out of my compost!
    Love your long posts Thin! And the thought of watching that dolphin as you walked!

Merry yes, hooray for Dr Mosley, I suspect that 5:2 has already added years to my life.

LJoyce, that cauliflower salad sounds magnificent!

Lovely to see you here Marinermum! Congratulations on all that excess weight gone! I hope you got through yesterday ok! I found fast days easy at first but then along came some that weren’t so easy. Luckily it is just one day.
    No sign of getting cooler in Melbourne yet! I am looking forward to wanting my porridge and hearty stews!

Okay, I had better get up and doing! Yesterday was Moomba and Labour Day so it doesn’t feel like it is Wednesday tomorrow, but it is. Must prepare for my fast day!

Hi all,

Yesterday’s FD went well. Today I had a lovely lunch – a small bowl of the kasha & chickpea salad that I had made to take out to dinner on Sunday night and some felafel. Healthy foods that taste like a treat – that’s what I call having the best of both worlds.

My neck is giving me grief at the moment which I suspect is going to end in a migraine, I can feel the band of pain tightening around my head. I might lay down for a while this afternoon and see if giving my neck a break from having to support my head helps. I can’t fix the underlying neck issues as they are caused by the RA, but I usually can manage the problem with regular physio and remedial massage.

Have a good day.

Well done GDSA and Marinermum for continuing with this and shedding those kilograms! As we’ve seen not everyone who joins the forum continues with 5:2. I still wonder what happened to those many members who joined around New Years! In light of the attrition rate, I sometimes feel that we are part of some elite group, though I have to keep my ego in check here!

…Though I will always acknowledge the hard yards we’ve all put into this. I’ve met more than one person who said they ‘tried’5:2 and became so hungry that they didn’t last even one day!

LJ, those calories sounded delicious at your cousin’s house and healthy too! Good for you for being able to opt for the one dessert.

Thin, I should have realized you meant I’ve been here in spirit! I realize I was skimming posts and realize I didn’t take in what you’d written fully. Today is Tuesday which is my favorite day to fast though I’m just so tuckered out from the non-stop schedule of the past week and I’m deferring it to tomorrow, Wednesday.

The Diploma course I’ve been working on at TAFE is in the field of Community Services or social work. I’ve specialized in the area of people with disabilities particularly those with mental disabilities which includes conditions caused by ageing. In the career I’ve recently started, my deepest purpose is to work with customers/clients therapeutically. This entails meeting them exactly where they are and validating them to assist them to move through the issues from the past that they struggle and/or are burdened with. Many are time and space disoriented and so we are not able often able to understand what they are attempting to communicate though my view is that what they express is a tip of the iceberg and that there is always a real and meaningful life scenario behind it. It is not always easy making sense though. Because I like playing detective, I’ve been enjoying the challenge of putting the clues or pieces together to assist them to come to greater peace with past snags that they are attempting at a great age, to resolve. One of my mentors is Naomi Feil who demonstrates her work in action in this excellent Tedx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqfW_kyZq8. I love how she uses her intuitive detective sense to piece together one woman’s accusation that Naomi had stolen her wedding ring! I so admire how she handles this and what comes in her interaction with this woman. …Fascinating stuff for anyone with a friend, relative or loved one who is time and space disoriented. Here’s the link out of interest.

P.S. Yes, Thin, loved reading of your dolphin friend ‘Soul’!

Cinque, glad you are feeling better!

Also, are others starting to experience more technical difficulties on this SH thread, like I am? Is this because our thread has become too byte laden? I’m pretty sure it was Jo Jo who had to abandon her thread at 16,000 posts due to increasing technical issues that she was advised were due to the sheer size of the thread. I know we’ve still go another 6,000 posts to catch up to the abandoned thread and that the Aussie Determination group reached 14,000 posts though no one has posted in that thread for a month either, so makes me wonder if we’ll have to consider re-starting a new thead sometime in the near future. Maybe this thread is starting to exhibit signs of technical cognitive decline?

Good afternoon everyone,
    FD today after moving it from Monday due to being a public holiday and having kids around so I thought I would exercise the benefits of this WOL and change the day I eat less on.
    Merryme I can’t stand predictive text, it is the bane of society, it destroys what you are trying to say and can make you look silly and I am too dumb to know how to turn it off thus I post on the desktop computer a much more pleasant experience.
    Minka I like to think a lot of those new members have been helped by the forum and are continuing with 5:2 but your probably right and they have chucked it in because they got hungry. It is a fear that we have all had at some stage of doing 5:2, the fear of being hungry and thinking you may just die if you don’t throw down a biscuit or a sandwich and the fight to continue along into dinner time so yes we are elite Minka for continuing with this WOL.
    That’s it everyone should reach around give yourself a pat on the backside (make sure you aim as it should be smaller than last time you did this) for sticking with 5:2.

Quick note for newbies and lurkers, the time I normally read and post on this forum is the afternoon, after work of course, it helps keep you busy and time passes quickly.

Meals for last week:
    Monday 1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj Total 950kj or 227cals.
    Thursday 2 x white coffee 375kj (my 2nd coffee was a larger travel mug), 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj Total 1575kj or 376cals.

Minka, yes, as mentioned above, I have encountered some strange happenings with my posts and those of others recently. In some ways, it would seem a shame to have to start again from the bottom of the list of ‘Most Popular’ posts, (Cinque would have to instruct me on how to find it readily). However I would support your proposal for what might seem a rather obscure reason. That being that I would love a new name for this thread which has never sat well with me. The main reason for this is the use of two exclamation marks which is one of my pet hates (like your disdain for predictive text Joffy). Two or more exclamation marks give no increased effect over one so they’re just irritating!!!!!! See what I mean?

I also don’t care for the word, ‘Hemispherites’. It’s used in various places on the internet but I can’t find it in any of my dictionaries which I think is why I find it so annoying. This thread was started so that people could chat with and support others from their own time zone. Since August 2014, I recall one person from Durban joining us and everyone else overwhelmingly being from Australia and NZ. So perhaps any new name, should we decide to move, and should we decide to change it, could reflect that?

Equally happy to just carry on as we are. Your resident pedant.

Oh my goodness I wonder if we could possibly agree on a name. It will be fun trying! I do think it is a good idea to talk about this now, it seems inevitable, so let us plan and do it properly.

All that conversation about people starting 5:2 and finding it too hard has coincided with someone mentioning on another thread that Dr Mosley is announcing an updated 5:2 where he recommends 200 calories higher fast day limit! The idea is to make it even more doable.
    I asked for sources and HappyNow kindly put up these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4304716/Fast-Diet-s-inventor-says-allowed-200-calories.html

Joffy I am like you and much prefer writing on my desktop computer. The only bonus of my ipad is the pretty little emojis, but it is too hard for my old eyes!

Minka I had just come home from a bad experience being a supervisor driver for a friend needing to get up hours before going for her license. The driving was fine but the mood wasn’t! She is mum of a toddler and very tired and brought up feeling bad that she hasn’t been able to lose weight. I gave 5:2 a plug (including Dr Mosley’s even easier version) but she was so defensive and irritable and while I was sympathetic I came home feeling awful. But then I watched that Tedx Talk you linked. If only I had watched it before I went out! Thanks for linking it.

Fast day tomorrow!

Evening all. After laying down for the afternoon the headache is easing a fair bit now thankfully.

I had zucchini slice ready to heat up for dinner but just wasn’t in the mood for it. I felt like vegemite toast and a cup of tea, so that’s what I had. I really enjoyed it, hadn’t had vegemite toast in ages.

Cinque I looked at one of the articles you linked and it reminded me of something I remember reading by Dr Krista Varaday. She was conducting research into using intermittent fasting for weight maintenance on the subjects who’d successfully lost weight through her alternate day fasting research. For maintenance, her trials moved people from alternate day fasting to a 4:3 pattern and instead of using 500 calories on FDs she used 1000 calories. One thing both Krista and Michael continued to include in their programs is at least one fasting period of 12 hours or more (overnight at start or end of FD). I guess this means that it’s the regular fasting periods each week and some level of calorie reduction that is important. If I can stay around 500 calories on FDs while losing weight I will, but I may try one of these less restrictive options when I get to maintenance and see which one suits me best as a long term eating pattern.

As to a new SH forum thread – I’m happy for us to start a new one if others want to. Just make sure the last post on this site tells us the name so I can still find it under “Active Topics”.

Thanks for posting your link Minka. Cinque, you must be an amazing friend.

I also read the latest on 5:2. Thank you for sharing the articles Cinque. I’ll be sticking to 500 calories. Increasing the limit to 800 cals is surely better than doing nothing about your weight but my guess is that it won’t help those people who claim to be unable to stick to 500/600 cals. It depends on how badly you want it. Personally, I feel the discipline required to achieve this is all part of our improvement. It works so well, why keep trying to fix it? What do you think?

Just read your post LJ which arrived while I was writing. I agree with you in that there may be some value in increasing your cal intake once at maintenance as a long-term option. I think I’ll still try and stick to what I’m doing. Right now, if anything, I feel I may need to decrease my cal intake with age.

Hi,

Still here. Still following basic 5:2 WOL. Still losing 1/2 kg per week and body fat % is decreasing. Now below goal weight.

– Fast days Monday and Friday; single meal in the evening of poached salmon and mixed salad/steamed veges, piece of fruit, <400kCal

– Always fast at least 12 hours overnight on NFDs, from immediately after evening meal until breakfast.

– No longer eating white flour, pasta or rice; eat small amounts of barley, quinoa and home-made dark, seedy, nutty, grainy bread. (Sugar, cakes, biscuits and chocolate were never a problem, nor were snacks between meals.)

– Hula hoop every day for 10 minutes (for fun and cardio)

– Short free-weight session 4 or 5 days a week

– 15 minutes on Rebounder 3 or 4 days a week, incorporating 3×15 secs HIIT

– Yoga class one evening a week

– Out on my bike 5 or 6 mornings a week, cover between 25 and 30km most days.

All good.

Good morning everyone!
    Fast day. Sitting here with a big hot cup of tea. Bliss.

Hi Perthgirl! That is one excellent list! Congratulations!
    Do you have new goal weight?

That new recommended upper limit brings up lots of interesting questions.
    I have more like 350 calories on fast days when I stick to less than a cup of milk in my array of cuppas over the day, and my miso soup. It will probably be closer to 500 with my veggie soup.
    But I don’t forget that when I started 5:2 I had just come from watching ‘what’s the right diet for me’ and so was thinking ‘under 800 cals’ and it worked for me.
    I think that Dr Mosley’s new idea is 700 for women and 800 for men. My feeling is that it is a good idea though. there are a lot of people who aren’t managing to keep on 5:2 and if this makes it easier, I am all for it. (But I will be with you Thin, eating less than that.) (except now and then maybe πŸ˜‰ )

LJoyce, I do so hope your headache is gone today. Or was it one of those nasty migraines that hang around for days. Vegemite on toast is just the thing when you are feeling crook.
    You are right that Dr Mosley makes a point about fasting 12 or 13 hours overnight, but I do that most nights anyway!

Back to the name of our possible new thread. The original idea was to have a thread for people who are awake while the UK and US people are sleeping. That isn’t so much Southern Hemisphere but the time zone we are in. But ofcourse we are mainly Aussies and NZers. But does our name need to reflect that?
    Here are some names to set people off. Not even thinking they are good ones!
    Gondwanaland
    Southern Lands
    Southern Aurora
    The Far Side
    The Chat
    The Thread
    The bottom half of the globe
    First Dawn

Good morning all,
    FD completed breath smells means I’ve been losing weight and am feeling good. A couple of soda waters with a slice of lime in them have been a nice addition on the hot days we are having (34C for the last week and this coming week) as water get a bit thin after drinking it at work all day trying to keep hydrated.

I have thought about the report on 800cals a day allowed in Dr.Mosley’s review and reminded myself this is first a way of helping your body repair itself with the side effect of weight loss so if he has done further research and says it works also I am all for it if it means more may stick with it. As people join in and see others on the forum doing less cals, once they get a month or two of fasting under their belt the new comers may reduce their cals naturally trying different things. If you remember the 4 day fast was the big reset of his blood sugars, etc. on the show but it had to be done every 4 weeks to keep the benefit up and that is why Dr.Mosley decided on the 5:2 way of fasting due to being more sustainable for a lifetime.

I haven’t had any problems with the site with uploading posts. I know Minka did and maybe Cinque? I remember seeing the forum list saying Cinque was the last post a while back and the post was not there. If the thread needs retiring and a new thread started so be it. There will have to be a line of final messages with the same form to let others know where to look on the forum list. As to finding the new thread I have only saved the forum list page as a favourite and due to the continued posting on this thread it is normally within 10 of the top of the list of last posted.
    A new name for the thread is a tough one, it was started by others and left for us to look after so if it breaks we do get adjust things within it including tinkering with the name maybe “South Hems” or “Aus & NZ Fasters”. You could go with “11 hours before Greenwich” but newbies could have trouble understanding where we are from but I like the 11 hours thing which puts it in the middle of the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand.

Well enough blabbing for today. Happy fasting today.

Meals for Thursday:
    2 x white coffee’s 375kj, 500g minestrone 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1575kj or 376cals.

Hi all,
    I’ve only recently heard about the 5:2 fast through a fellow “dragon boater”. She lost 10kgs and looks great. I’m going to give it a go. I’d like to be at my healthiest possible when I reach my 60th next year. I’m looking forward to touching base with others on this forum during my journey. πŸ™‚

Hello all,

Perthgirl love your post…well done. I tried hoolahoop with my daughter & it was so much fun although i suspect i looked like a jellyfish out of water – my hips just couldnt get the right action.

Have been steady at 69.5 the last few days even though i havent had a fast day for over week. My days are Tues and Thurs as its easier while at work – i just cant manage it while im home. Last thurs went to the pub for tea so no point in a fast day there. Also went out to lunch on friday so again no point. With monday being a public holiday here in sa i totally forgot to fast yesterday.

Ive increased my exercise by taking the pooch for a walk most days on top of my usual 5 mins intense exercise bike, 5 mins weights, 5 mins stretch band & 5 mins on the stepper most mornings.

Ive noticed for a few weeks now that my double chin has vanished (they run in my family) and have just noticed my cheeks are slimmer. Losing weight off my hips was the first thing i noticed only after a few weeks of being on 5.2.

Home from work today. Had 3 glasses of red last night and ive noticed of late i dont sleep too well after a drink. I only managed to get 2 hrs sleep and feel absolutely exhaused this morning. Im thinking of cutting out alcohol altogether.

Back to serious fast days again starting tomorrow. Will feel good to get back on track.

Morning all,

I have another NFD today and a lunch in the city to go to. Not feeling particularly hungry today, just woosy from the migraine meds. We’re going to a cafe I know well and I’m already planning to order their garlic prawn & veg stirfry.

As with some others on this forum I’ve had posts disappear. It only happens when I try to edit a long post and I’ve noticed that the post isn’t actually lost. It reappears a few hours later, date stamped for when I actually posted it. So I have stopped copying my posts and re-posting when they disappear as I know that by the next day my post will suddenly appear again and I don’t really want them on there twice. The website seems to fix the problem during UK day time.

As to a new name – I think it’s important that new starters can find us and know where we’re based. So I think we either need to mention Aus & NZ or Down Under or something that others from here will immediately recognise. When you first come to this site and start looking for a suitable forum it can be a bit overwhelming as there are so many. When I first joined, I looked for anything recognisable as Australia. I found 3 and selected the one with the most activity, which was you guys.

Welcome Goldenheart. I hope you find 5:2 helps you lose the weight you want to. My experience has been that it’s really quite easy to stick to, but it’s not a fast way to lose, you need to be patient and accept a moderate weight loss rate. Although if you are still in training for dragon boats I suspect you’ll burn enough calories to lose weight much faster that I have.

Well I’m off to the city for lunch now. Have a good day everyone.

Welcome Goldenheart. Thanks for posting a profile, quite a few of us are around your vintage. Where do you live (if you feel like saying)?

FD for me and I’ve been drinking my coffee with almond & coconut milk while reading the posts. The memorable points were PG doing the hula hoop, Joffy’s halitosis signalling ketosis and GDSA forgetting to fast, all of which made me laugh. Hula hooping sounds great fun but I fear I might also resemble GDSA’s description and it would have to be carried out in a private place.

Glad you’re feeling better now LJ. Enjoy that lunch. If we were to move, a final post on this thread with re-direction instructions would appear. People would still keep posting on it (see JoJo’s thread) so we’d have to re-post our final message now and again. I love the name, ‘Fat Busting Brits’ (except for the !!). It makes you think they’re really getting the job done. Despite the negative connotation, I also like the terms incorporating the word, ‘losers’.

Thinking more about Dr M’s revised 5:2 cal allowance and having read all your comments of approval, perhaps more emphasis should be placed on the quarter TDEE and removing the blanket 500/600cals. It seems to me that learning to go without food, eliminating snacking and the constant need to put something in your mouth along with the requirement to make every calorie count all help shape our portion control and food desires long-term. Adding that extra 200cal ‘lunch’ would seem to contradict all that and be giving in to the very problem that led most of us here in the first place. Not to mention making a bit of a mockery of the term ‘fasting’.

I wonder if I feel a little antagonistic about this because, with every new book and new ‘diet’, it seems to further undermine the premise of the original 5:2 just a little bit more. I suppose what I want is for Dr M. to validate that 5:2 works and perhaps glean further information from the scores of people practicing it. The articles suggest that even 5:2’s most ardent adherents find it hard to stick to. I strongly dispute this. I and many others found FDs easy from the very first day, it’s the NFDs that need attention.

A final note to ponder – antarctic outdoor workers are required to eat 6000cals a day just to stay warm!

Hi All, I’m fasting today, so am with you Joffy and any others! I too changed my usual Tuesday FD to today.

I chuckled at your post, Thin! Or for fun and because I’m a Chinese Monkey and like to tease shall I say, Thin!!!!! Tee, hee! …One name that came to mind could be: Antipodeans. However, I’m aware that by the dictionary that means relating to Australian and New Zealand and we’d like to welcome South Africans, South Americans and those posted at the Antarctic Station, I’m open to other suggestions too! Maybe I’ll check with JJ the admin to see what she might say about the technical cognitive decline in long old threads!

The way I easily find this group is to click/bookmark ‘Active Topics’ since we are usually on the most active of groups so are usually on the top of that list, or at least in the top 5 or 6 if others are prolifically posting too!

Okay, I’m going to finish catching up on posts and I’ll write more a bit later.

It’s later, so here I am again…

Welcome, Goldenheart! I too started 5:2 in my 59th year and am so glad I did! I reached maintenance a couple months after turning 60 and with the support of this thread and forum, I’ve happily continued ever since and now consider it a way of life.

Good to hear from you Perthgirl and that you’ve been doing so well! Loved reading of your hoola hooping, rebounding and yoga! How I wish I could be out cycling too.

I’m impressed with anyone who hoolahoops GDSA. No wonder you lost off your hips first! I can’t say that happened for me. …I’m a dog lover. What type of pooch do you have?

Lol! Joffy, continuing on with catching up on posts, I realize you fasted yesterday! I hadn’t realized that breath smells indicated weight loss! I’ll let Mr. M. know that! Your name for this forum could be fitting for me figuring out when others have actually posted, though agree that newbies probably wouldn’t understand.

Cinque, I so understand how others’ moods can sometimes be more draining than physical exertion. I’m hoping that though your passenger’s defenses were strong that somehow the seeds you planted will someday sprout.

What I question about the revised 700 – 800 calorie 5:2 is whether or not it will reap the same health benefits, meaning those that are a side benefit of actual fasting, or severe caloric restriction, beyond weight loss. So, will the new plan still help prevent breast cancer? Will it still help delay onset mental decline or Alzheimer’s/dementia? I’d always thought that the these specific benefits were only related to the more severe caloric reduction since our body then goes around mopping up mutated genes and conducts extra house cleaning of sorts in a way that doesn’t take place with calorie reduction that is spread out more evenly through the week.

…Though as you pointed out Joffy, I can understand Dr. M. wanting to cast his net even wider and invite those to return who just couldn’t tolerate the level of hunger 500 calorie fasting requires or for those who fear hunger and never tried in first instance. That BBC documentary some of us watched entitled “Weight Loss Ward” where numerous patients were undergoing gastric reduction surgery, it was cited that if the trajectory of obesity continues unabated in the UK that within a couple of decades the whole current NHS budget will be required to meet the demand for bariatric surgery. So maybe Dr. M. is really attempting to help turn this around so is attempting to appeal to an even wider audience?

LJ the plan you mentioned about Dr. Krista Varaday’s maintenance program was very interesting. I’m not sure I completely understood it, though sounds worth looking into, out of interest.

Edited another long post I’d written (contributing to the revised 5:2 and our thread discussions) and it subsequently disappeared. I took someone’s advice and didn’t copy that one! Oh well. If it comes back when the Brits awaken, it will appear before LJ’s 12.28 post and before Minka’s posts.

Hi Cinque (and other SHs)

With a BMI of 20.4 and a current weight of 59.x kg (a number I haven’t seen since my mid-teens, more than 50 years ago) I don’t really have a new weight goal. However, I do have a body fat % goal of 25.x%, it was 30.4% when I started 5:2 in late February and is currently 26.2%.

We are going on a 2000km cycle touring/camping holiday to Germany and Holland in May-June and I want to start the holiday with as high a level of ‘healthiness’ as I can achieve.

Meals on holiday will involve carbs (in the form of pasta and rye bread) as we have a limited repertoire of foods that we can cook in a single saucepan on a single burner camping stove (we cook all our meals from scratch using locally sourced food). However, eating like this whilst cycling >60km a day usually sees us returning home a couple of kgs lighter than when we start πŸ™‚

After the holiday, we will replace our second fast day each week with a 16:8; so our planned maintenance will be 6:1 with at least one 16:8 day. For both of us this will be a sustainable WOL as the only real changes we have had to make were to remove pasta, rice and white flour from our previous flexitarian diet, and do two fast days a week (lots of water with lemon slices, green tea, fruit teas and black coffee during the day).

Our fast days will continue to be under 400/500 cals – 1/4 of our TDEE – as my understanding of the science is that this level of calorie deficit puts our bodies into ‘repair mode’ for a few hours. I haven’t seen any science reports, yet, to support the proposed, new ‘800 cals’, but if it helps more people with weight loss and improved health it can only be beneficial.

For those already achieving their goals with 5:2 Version 1 – “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Val

Hi all

I’m back from a lovely lunch of stirfry prawns with bok choy and broccoli. It contained so much garlic I think I’ll be safe from viruses and vampires for a couple of days!

Minka, the Dr Varady maintenance program that I read about was 4:3, so 4 NFD and 3FD each week. The 4 NFD are calorie unrestricted (you don’t have to stick to TDEE) and the 3 FDs are limited to 1000 calories. One of the features of her original alternate day diet program was that all FD calories were eaten in the middle of the day so that you had 2 real fasting periods of approx 16 hours at the start and end of each FD. On her maintenance program she has extended the eating window to allow for 2 meals & 2 snacks which means you are still skipping either breakfast or dinner and will still have 1 fasting period of 12-16 hours as part of every FD. Michael Moseley has made it clear that even if you opt for the 800cal option you need to make sure you have some periods of at least 12 hours of total fasting (no food at all) each week – his suggestion is that you eat an early dinner before a FD and a late breakfast on your FDs.
    I’ve had a bit of a hunt for references and found a brief mention of the maintenance program here:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-new-way-to-love-food/283276/
    She also has a book published which includes her alternate day fasting for weight loss and the 4:3-1000cal maintenance program:
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17676231-the-every-other-day-diet
    This option has also been discussed on some of our other forum threads:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/successful-maintenance-plans/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/looking-for-thoughts-on-maintenance-now-im-nearly-at-my-target-weight/
    I think this maintenance model may work better for those who usually go just a little over their TDEE on NFD but not binge, or for those with a high TDEE. My TDEE is 1400 calories and I have a propensity for binge eating, so 3 x 1000cal FDs would probably be insufficient for me to maintain weight. I am toying with the idea of 3 x 800cal days instead of 2 x 500cal days as a possible maintenance option. I have a few kilos to go though before I get to test any of these out.

Time for a cuppa I think.

Third post for Wednesday. Aren’t I the chatty one today?!

LJ …Food for thought about the Krista Varaday plan. Thank you for posting the links. Interesting that Varaday actually knocks 5:2 as unsubstantiated in the first link you posted. She doesn’t go with the premise that the health benefits of her mice study convert over to benefiting those on 5:2. Hmm. Am I on the wrong program? Then again, I’m in maintenance and so is there evidence that her mice continue to reap brain benefits on the maintenance plan of 1000 calories on her AD maintenance plan?

In any case, like you, I tend to binge and find 500 the perfect reset after struggling with the throes of a binge. So from that respect, 5:2 as is works for me perfectly.

In reviewing Dr. M’s quips about the “updated” 24 hour 700-800 calorie 5:2 plan, I’m concerned by his use of the word ‘seems’ and ‘almost’. He says in referring to the calories a male would consume, β€œYou don’t need to stick to 600 calories. Cutting down to 800 calories a day seems to be almost as effective and for some people much more β€˜doable’.”

Hi Minka, our pooch is a rescue dog. She’s a black/tan short haired medium to small size ‘could be part anything’ kinda dog. All the dogs and cats ive ever owned come from the shelter.
    Im making homemade pasta for tea. Spinach & ricotta filling for me & pumpkin for my daughter.

Hi GDSA! Good for you for adopting a rescue dog. I’m assuming she’s very grateful for her new home. Your homemade pasta sounds delicious especially with the two fillings. I’m picturing you there in your kitchen with your pasta maker and can’t make out whether you’re busy with canneloni or ravioli?

I promise that this will be the last post for the day and since I start my school and work week tomorrow, you may not hear from me for awhile!

All those interested in this 5:2 revision and discussion around it and health consequences, weight loss prospects and Varaday’s way, here’s a bit more gossip on the Varaday/Mosley philosophical divide and about how Varaday handles those who reach plateau when practicing ADF. See the first post on this link for the low down:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-alternate-day-fasting-experiment-no-thank-you/

Thanks for the “welcome” πŸ™‚
    I’ve just ordered a copy of Michael Mosley’s book. Can’t wait to get it. I’ve just eaten a whole lot of stuff I didn’t need but not going to beat myself up. I will continue to check this forum for inspiration.

Kudos to the GDSA family for adopting rescue dogs. The deeper our DD gets into the clinical aspects of her vet science training, the more it becomes apparent that breeding dogs is not a great idea regardless of whether the breeder is considered reputable. It’s not just the brachycephalics that are plagued with disease, deformity and complications.

Have I told you S.A. posters about the dingo x that adopted us while camping around Australia? We found her in Victor Harbour, a bag of nervous bones. We called her Vicki. She wouldn’t come anywhere near us so we threw food to her as she was clearly starving. After a few days, as we were leaving, she jumped into our campervan through the driver’s window and sat on the console between our seats ready to go. We had no home at that time as we were new to Australia and were travelling around for six months but we made it work. After the first night camping with her in the van, we opened the door to let her out and, after the dust settled, we realised that she’d chased and killed a rabbit! That dog remained our loyal and wonderful pet for 15 years and she’s buried in our front garden. Hurray, for the ever-grateful rescued mutt!

Now where’s my earlier post got to? I’m hesitant to re-state what I said earlier for fear of annoying people with spam-like doubles but I’d like to join in the conversation. Perhaps it’s just a natural way of getting me to shut up. So, back to the garden.

Yay! My posts have been restored. The one on “5:2 revised” appears before Minka’s first post of the day today. It’s date stamped 1:30am. The second is right above this one.

JJ (web tech) has explained that the problem is due to a spam filter whereby posts are more likely to get tagged as spam after they’ve been edited. She’s working on it. It’s not to do with the size of our thread so perhaps we don’t have to start again with a new thread after all.

I like to edit my posts where I see an error because I feel that garbled, poorly punctuated posts are harder to understand. Cinque once told me that she considered edited text a gift from the writer. I love that! But from now on, I will copy my missives to my laptop clipboard first just in case.

Thinatlast what a beautiful heartwarming story about Vicki. Weve had our current dog for 6 years now and my older dog who passed away 2 years ago we had for 13 years. The one who is in doggy heaven will always hold a special place in my heart – we had a connection that i am unable to put into words. I am certainly in favour of rescue dogs rather than pedigree.

Homemake Ravioli tonight was nice but i much prefer my Canneloni.

Goldenheart you will love Michael Mosley’s book. I devoured it over 2 nights after waiting eagerly for about 3 weeks for it to arrive in the mail. The Fast Exercise is a great read too.

Back into fast day regime tomorrow.

Oh gosh, here goes another post; what is it #5 for me today? I’ve lost track and it is too late to go counting up the thread. I know I promised, but just cant resist now that there are posts that I either didn’t see earlier or are because some of us are efficient editors and our posts get temporarily removed!

Anyway, I love all your name suggestions Cinque, even though as Thin reported that we don’t have to start all over again. It’s been fun brainstorming creative names.

Thin what an amazing dog story, yours is a real life’Red Dog’ tail, I mean tale, well I know tales aren’t real but couldn’t resist the play on words. What a happy beginning to your time here in Oz!

GDSA I’m with you about rescue dogs over pedigree. Mr. M and I were watching a documentary about how some breeds have been so altered to accentuate certain features that some have become unhealthy as a result. This was even noted on the ABC 7:30 Report recently about breeds such as bulldogs, pugs and other flat nosed canines that are now having difficulty breathing due to selection which makes their faces ever flatter. Those poor dogs suffer sometimes to the point of not being able to walk properly and often die young. A friend inherited a King Charles Cavalier from her daughter who moved overseas. The poor pooch has a heart murmur and she was told by the vet that this is common in that breed, which I imagine has to do with the selective breeding as well. In nature all these dogs would be interbreeding and subsequent generations would be healthier rather than more disease prone.

Perthgirl, you will be living my dream! I’ve always wanted to tour Europe by bicycle. I used to participate in the various 9 day state cycle tours and sure miss them. Have you been on any of them? Maybe we’ve met? Unfortunately at this point health issues are preventing me from exerting myself like I once did, which goes to show at least that 5:2 works even when one doesn’t exercise at all.

By the way, my FD has gone splendidly!

Good evening everyone,
    So glad your post turned up Thin! Yes I like to edit my posts too, as they often need a bit of fixing once I can read the whole thing, and that is when the trouble starts!

Welcome Goldenheart! What a gorgeous name!

Lovely to hear the dog stories!

Antipodean! I knew there was a word for us I had forgotten!

Ooo home made pasta Gday! the best!

Joffy I looked up about bad breath and ketosis when someone was asking about it on another forum. It takes more than two days of severe fasting to reach ketosis, but it is much easier to get bad breath on a 5:2 type fast day because the bacteria in our mouths are not being kept down by saliva since we are not chewing (which produces saliva) and also if we are a bit dehydrated.
    This does mean bad breath is still a sign of some good fasting! πŸ˜‰

I’ve also been thinking about the new take on fast days. I posted one of the articles on the reddit 5:2 forum and the only comment was “Oh ok I get it. He needs to sell a new book.” (Very cynical)
    And I am a bit annoyed we didn’t hear about it on this site first. It is the official 5:2 site after all.
    I am also aware that (as someone mentioned in a post a few days ago) we are still waiting on the research about 5:2 longterm benefits.
    But the only info we have is a couple of newsy articles, and it isn’t really enough to go on. As you said Minka!

LJoyce, I am still playing around with maintenance. I have a feeling that what suits me best is an 800 day on Wednesday and a 500 day on Sunday. But I need more time to find out.

My fast day is over! Or will be when I break my fast in the morning! I have my sister from Swan Hill visiting tomorrow and Friday so that will be such a treat!

best wishes everyone!

It’s been a great day of posts and tomorrow I’ll read them again as I felt a bit disjointed reading them with my own missing today. Cinque, great minds – I’d emailed Minka today about contacting JJ, etc and mentioned ‘Antipodean Losers’ as a possible thread name.

Hi there!

I am conducting a research on the effect of intermittent fasting on mood as part of my final year dissertation.

The participation for this study involves the completion of 3 short questionnaires while fasting for a period of 12 hours.
    You are free to choose the date and time you will be fasting, I would recommend choosing a rest day.
    (I need 50 of them)
    You could for instance start fasting at 7am and break your fast at 7pm and have your breakfast and dinner and need to only skip lunch.

If any of you are interested in participating and contributing to the results of this study please click on the link below! If the results are interesting I intend on publishing my study.

I will truly appreciate your participation πŸ™‚

https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3dwO574aCRDccL3

Thanks a lot!

I would love to hear your thoughts after you have completed the study! So please let me know by contacting me at the following email address: u1245810@uel.ac.uk

Hi Znj13,
    I thought you would get heaps of people interested to help with your study, when you first put it up. I’ll try. Setting up the reminders is almost as hard as changing my usual fast day routine! I’ll aim to do it on Sunday.

Thin, it is true that I think good grammar and punctuation are a gift to the reader…. and reading posts properly is a gift to the writer. Oops I failed. I was too tired last night – read the first line of your post and went back to find the ‘appeared’ ones, than tried to remember the things I wanted to say about all the others post of the day… it was only when Minka’s post came up (that crossed mine) that I saw I’d missed all sorts of things!
    (And look at the bizarre punctuation of that sentence!!!!)

Now I have suffered through a sweltering night (Victoria’s Autumn has been hotter than summer was, so far) and the factory over the road’s alarm went off at 4am. Really, really, really loud. I think it was only for 10 minutes, but it was awful.
    Luckily now it is cooler and even raining a bit! A days respite before it heats up again.

Time for another cup of tea.

Cheers to everyone for today!

Good morning fellow fasters,
    On a FD today and just knocked down my morning white coffee and now looking at what’s to come, black coffee, water, soda water and soup. Doesn’t sound to inspiring though tomorrow when looking back it will be inspiring. Is that a minus equaling a plus?

Cinque and Minka, my noting of “bad breath means weight loss” was just meaning the noticeable sign of bad breath in the morning normally would mean I have been fasting. I don’t believe I had gone into ketosis, I believe that the morning after a FD my breath is more noticeable to me. I thought it might be the empty stomach leaching a small amount of gases? up as I have my meal late for dinner normally around 8.30pm and lots of water and some soda water which is washing my mouth out all day.

I put on an old pair of shorts that had stopped fitting me a couple of years ago for some unknown reason and yesterday mysteriously fit properly again. My wardrobe is getting bigger by the month now.

I must say I have not done measuring of myself because I am a bloke and we don’t do things like that, except when getting a new suit. I know I have lost dimensions in all area’s most noticeably >(obviously word of the day) from my backside but I am now getting fearful of losing it. I know it is because I am not doing hard running or bike riding to get the muscles back to give it shape, this is one of the little fears men go through as they get older going with grey hair turning up, hair from the ears and nose and our backsides disappearing.

Off to get my eyes checked and new glasses which is, good for a new look, or bad as it is probably going to cost me $400ish if I remember.

Happy fast day all, I think I will go have a glass of water.

Morning allπŸ™‚
    Just finished reading the posting explosion , lol

Goldenheart, you will find the book to have excellent information. It was the basis of my journey with 5:2. The other info I read was when I started on this international forum and it was by a poster- simcoeluv – called something like – Info for newbies, your questions answered. Sorry, doing this on a phone today and awkward to check. Anyway, it’s a good concise overview that many of us have used.

Joffy- he of the disappearing bum- sometimes they disappear south! Lot’s of bike riding for you, or maybe you could try ballet. Those ballet men also build up good glutes. Seriously though, how wonderful that the mysteriously shrinking clothes have grown again.

On the new calorie possibilities- If I substituted the 800 for the 500 I don’t think I would have lost the weight. In my 8month period of high stress when only half my FDs were completed properly quite a lot would have been at 800-ish and my weight would be the same the next morning. My situation is different of course, given the ME/CFS, where I can’t exercise, and where my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure is only 250 cals over my BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate), as worked out on the calculator on the Forum.

I even found 500cals on a FD to be too much in the latter part of my weight loss phase, and went to true 1/4 of my TDEE rather than 500. That’s 360 cals at present. So I’m continuing with 5:2 as Dr Mosely originally described. It’s worked well for me, easy to understand, and for me it’s “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

I think being successful at any form of intermittant fasting is more about motivation than anything else. I really wanted this, and I really needed it healthwise, and I was literally praying for a way to get the weight off. Icame into it prepared to keep going till it was done , regardless of if I failed sometimes.

Re Intermittant Fasting as a whole – it’s a growing body of research work that people not involved in the actual research are able to adapt to real life and improve their weight and health. It covers all firms of eating whether philosophical, religious, health and medical needs, and cultural. It’s not only a revelation it’s a revolution, and can be used anywhere in the world. Regardless of whether it’s Moseley, Varaday, or any of the other researchers, it’s all good and the details will work themselves out over time. Looking across the forum over an extended time it seems clear to me that people tweak 5:2 and tweak other forms of IF to suit their individual needs or wants, and it still works. Given my recent across the board excellent results on my blood tests after 2+ yrs on 5:2 I am totally sold on 5:2 for me, just as it is.

FD for me today, and happy fasting to all the other fasters today

If you fall off the horse get back on,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Cinque- hope today is much cooler for you, and not too humid.

Minka- it is so lovely to hear the confidence in your voice now from when you first started. Awesome result, and wonderful to have been there while you went through your 5:2 journey to maintenance. Enjoy those next few weeks and till September(?) even though it will be so busy.

Re the other big southern thread, somethibg Downunder, (just doing a blank memory thing) you know the one, I think the longtermers decamped and went to a closed facebook group of their own. I’m happy to stay on here and help the newbies.

Newbie alert:

32, Female, 104KG, 5 foot 7 inches, looking to lose weight. Brisbane 

I am a mother of 2, no pets, and work full time.

New to any sort of β€œdieting”, new to this online support – but I think it should be great!

Monday – FD – went well
    Tuesday – NFD
    Wednesday – FD

I had 1/2 scone with jam this morning. Should have skipped the cream, but didn’t :(, and a cup of boiled basmati rice for an early lunch.

I am finding it a little hard to calorie count as I have a Indian Vegetarian diet, but am trying my best, and think I have been hitting under the 500 calories and under my TDEE every day.

At this stage, too scared to weigh myself – so am hoping that in a few weeks my clothes feel a little loose so I can tell there is a difference. How long before you noticed a difference in your clothes? I have also decided to not tell anything that I making this life style change – as I think it will put extra pressure on me.

Hoping to still be here in 12 months sharing my success story

Re-reading all the posts of yesterday and realised that I completely missed large chunks of various posts – including the part in which, Minka, you mention ‘Antipodean’. And there I was taking all the credit! And ha ha to the Chinese Monkey!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks also for pointing out that we can go to Active Topics to find a new thread.

GDSA, there’s nothing worse than the loss of a beloved pet. I know what you mean about the special bond. My DD and I cried for a week when we had to put Vicki down. Do you know Victor Harbour? I’m sure like everywhere, it’s changed a lot in 25 years. We didn’t get another dog, instead we boarded others’ dogs from overnight to 4 months at a time. We got to know a lot of different breeds through that process. Nowadays our DD sometimes brings greyhounds home from uni at weekends. The uni rescues them from the racing industry, uses them for students to study anatomy and then they get re-homed where they can retire in comfort which is a lovely end to a horrible career. They make great pets for inactive people – 50mph couch potatoes!

Joffy, what a picture you paint of the ageing man. My OH would say you’re lucky to have any hair to turn grey. I bet if you just measure your waist in secret, you’ll have plenty to sing about. We won’t tell anyone. Looking forward to hearing of your progress in kgs.

LJ, glad you had a good lunch and stuck to your menu choices by the sounds of it.

Cinque, I agree with your comments about ‘5:2 revised’. I’d like Dr M. to validate what’s been/being achieved by thousands of people – all the evidence is right here on this official site. Concur with you too Merry. I think the evidence lies in the fact that, years on, many of us are still a work in progress when it comes to NFDs. That’s because we don’t have the restriction imposed upon us. Slackening that discipline on the FDs doesn’t serve any purpose in my view. I can see a value in a higher FD cal allowance for obese people as long as it’s adjusted to their TDEE as they lose. Then again, I’m not writing the books.

Hi Scared. Don’t be. Welcome to our thread. As you see, there is plenty of discussion on anything and everything here. Many of us had never read, let alone contributed to, a forum before this one. And I have now even met several people from this thread. Make sure you work out the calories in the food you’re eating on your FDs. It’s a bit of a chore at first but most of us found it quite an eye opener. I love Indian food and know that a lot of the veg. dishes can include a lot of carbs. Get those FDs sorted and the rest will come. Good luck to you!

Wow post explosion is right Merry. I have been reading them and keeping track of all the wonderful support that happens here. So happy that we have the backbones of this group still posting and giving us insights into their journey, Cinque, Merry and Thin and where would we be without Joffy and his disappearing rear!

I had a bit of a melt down last week, I think I thought i was superwoman. Had a bit of an emotional time with my Mum, doing my cake course and then the coaching course, I lost the plot and became very stressed. I did stick to two FD’s but the other days just stuffed myself with all the wrong things. Fortunately I did not put on any weight but managed to stay pretty constant which I found amazing. This WOL is so forgiving.

I think at times we are so focused on weight loss that we forget Dr M started down this path to become healthier and the weight loss was a bye product of that. I for one am so grateful for this research, I am so much healthier and feel so much younger than I ever have. I will continue to follow the original plan as it has worked for me but if I go over on FD’s so be it.

My coaching course has finished the formal side now it will be put into practice. Thin you asked awhile ago what I was doing. Over the next 6 months I will be coaching a young adult (they call it the future leaders program) it is run by Max Potential if you wanted to read more about it. I’m still very anxious about it but in the long run it will benefit me as well as the person I will be coaching.

Anyway thanks to all the posters who continue to keep us entertained and share their journeys with us.

Just completed my FD, tomorrow’s another day and by the sound of the rain absolutely pouring down a very wet one.

Hi again Scared! So glad you made it to this thread.
    I am remembering how first I found my clothes more comfortable, and that felt like success! But then I’d notice something was quite loose, and that was really exciting! And then I would realise it was so loose I couldn’t wear it any more! I didn’t always notice a change every week, but certainly every few weeks.
    It didn’t seem like a steady loss at the time, but looking back it does!

I love Indian Vegetarian food! I was a vegetarian for a long time and when I discovered Indian Vegetarian cuisine, I was in heaven! I still think rice and dal is the most wonderful simple, comforting, delicious dish!

Good luck with that calorie counting, I find it hard too, but I just looked up ingredients and things until I felt confident that I wasn’t going over on fast days, and then I stopped!

Merry the weather here has been so easy and pleasurable. The garden has revived, and so have I! It was cool last night and just gorgeous this morning.
    I am still struggling quite a bit CFS wise, just have to keep doing the good things. I hope things are better for you now or, if they aren’t, that they soon will be.
    You are right about the confidence in Minka’s voice. Isn’t it lovely!

Joffy, I’m another one who has lost my bum. It’s a wonder I can sit down!
    I should have known you’d be up on the bad breath/ketosis knowledge. Congrats on fitting into those shorts! A lovely benchmark.
    Enjoy your new glasses, I’ll bet they will be well worth the money spent. (Note to self: make optometrist appt)

Intesha, so glad to see your post. It sounds like you had the perfect storm and I am just glad you didn’t suffer from your binge. It is the best sign when binges become smaller and further apart, and easily recovered from. It makes them just about normal.
    Good luck with the prac part of your course. I hope you are paired with someone you can really enjoy.
    And good luck with the next cake decorating adventure!
    And I hope the rain has stopped!

Best wishes everyone, it is my lull day! Cheers to the Friday fasters!

Good morning all,
    Completed FD was enjoyable. I kept busy with an eye test at the optometrist where I was told my sight is still good and has not declined so I bought some new glasses as my old ones fall off all the time and decided to get prescribed sunnies whilst I was spending money so got out of there $900 lighter but the glasses will be good for another 5 years each that equals $200 a year to see everything clearly so that is not to bad.

Merryme do you think I am graceful enough to be a ballet dancer? Ha ha just having a laugh with you I know what you mean I need to do squats to get the backside back in shape.

Scared, welcome. Don’t worry about the scales if you don’t want to see them, your clothes will tell you though it will take time to notice. The weight will fall off different parts of your body, your face, chest, back, legs, etc. Oh the joy of seeing the bones in your ankles again, got to love skinny ankles, however, it takes time and you must have patience if you do this will work for you. Use the forum for a read and post on Fast Days (FD’s) in the arvo it will help pass time so you don’t notice being hungry and if you are thinking of chucking it in just have a read of this and other threads with great success stories. Good luck.

Alright, a kg progress report. I am at half way to my first goal that I set of 99kg having lost 14kg since October last year. That is 6 months ago, pretty happy with this. My portion sizes have definitely reduced and snacking has disappeared except for fruit and this is all that I have changed, I still have beers on NFD’s and don’t worry about what foods I am eating as in pasta, rice, etc. This makes my losses slower but that is OK as it makes this doable for me though it may not work for others.

Happy FD to all doing one today.

Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1350kj or 322cals.

Hi all,
    I meant to re-post the food tables for Scared and others to help with calorie counting.
    http://www.weightloss.com.au/diet/food-nutrition-tables/food-tables.html

They are very comprehensive but do help when starting.

Ha I see Cinque popped up whilst I was posting obviously a faster typist than myself and with some great points too.

Off for bacon and eggs now.

I started fasting in November 2016 and lost 3kgs gradually and have mostly completely plateaued. I don’t drink alcohol but feel that my non fast days could be better. I also train at crossfit 4 times a week so I think that muscle could be halting actual weight loss but hopefully my fat % has gone down.

Any advice? Would like to drop 5 more kilos to get my bmi stable but I’m a size 12 and think i might have peaked on the weight loss. Thought about dropping down to 3 days fasting but also might just continue 2 days for maintenance as I certainly haven’t gained weight doing it.

Anyone else in the similar boat of stalling on weight loss after a while? Any tips?

Viewing 50 posts - 10,801 through 10,850 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.