Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,851 through 10,900 (of 28,011 total)

• thinatlast: Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate you all replying to me. I have found that for me, getting rid of snacks is going to make a huge difference! I have been looking at the veg dishes I normally eat – and its more portion control I need to worry about. Thanks again for your support.

Cinque – Hi again. I know I said no scales – but I am already thinking that maybe I might change that it the next few weeks when I begin to lack motivation as a booster!

Joffy: thanks for the food tables! I have been googling calories, and was getting different results from different websites. So to play it safe was going with the ones with the highest amount. Hahah lucky me I already have skinny ankles! All my weight is in the middle tummy, back and breasts! From headshots you cannot tell that I have weight issues.

Update on my journey: Yesterday went well. I did have trouble eating up to my TDEE, as I felt that even after eating a tiny amount I felt extremely full and sick. My body getting used to the changes. Today is a FD. I started my fast at 6.30pm last night, and so far have had 2 Mentos (10 calories each) and drink plenty of water. I am trying to avoid food for as long as possible, as I am a binge eater, so a little bit will trigger me off. Dinner tonight will be pumpkin curry with 1 whole wheat roti (total 233 for the meal). I plan to continue to past until about 9am Saturday morning.

Update on me: I am on this journey as I am going through a tough patch in my life and this is one part of my life I can take control of. I am in a marriage which I want to last, but I am not sure if it will…which will turn my life, and my two children’s lives upside down. By focusing on this – I feel like I am saying sane.

I love reading everyone’s updates, and may not always post, but will always be reading. Congratulations to all the members who have reached a goal this week, and for all the others, remember this is only one week of the year, and you always have next week to reach that goal of yours!

Welcome Boolke, I would have expected that you’d have lost more than 3kgs since November if following 5:2 correctly. However, at size 12, your body might have just decided that’s where it wants to be. You don’t say how tall you are or what is your BMI. If you still feel you would like to lose the other 7kgs (you mention a 10kg goal on your profile), I recommend trying the following:

Buy and read Dr M.’s Fast Diet book if you haven’t already done so. Are you counting absolutely everything that passes your lips on FDs? This includes milk in coffee, herbal teas, etc. Calculate your TDEE for the weight you want to be (not the weight you are now) and only eat one quarter of that on FDs. Take a look at what you’re eating on NFDs – everyone’s different but for many of us when we reached a plateau, seriously cutting back on starchy, white carbs made a big difference. You can gradually introduce them later in small quantities. Make sure you aren’t going over your TDEE on NFDs.

Good luck!

*Sorry Boolke, I see it’s 5kgs more that you want to lose.

Scared, thanks for your post. I hope everything works out the way you want it. And isn’t lovely to be able to say that you can take control of food instead of the other way round. I was 59 when I could finally say that! I’m a bit worried about that roti on a FD! I’m sure you’ve calculated it properly but that does seem a rather yummy and indulgent meal for only 233 cals – and one I’d like to incorporate into my own FDs! I think you’re right to put off eating as long as possible. For many of us, it awakens the hunger dragon. It’s another reason I can’t see the ‘revised 5:2’ working as well as its adherents would never learn to go without food.

Joffy, you do make me laugh. And hey! Well done on the 14kg loss. No wonder your glasses are falling off your face. It sounds as though 5:2 is working for you exactly as intended – enjoying absolutely everything you love on MOST days, making a sacrifice on two days and reaping amazing benefits. I wouldn’t consider that a slow loss. Mine was a steady loss of 2kg per month with one or two plateaus. You must be getting a lot of compliments from family and friends. Have you noticed other benefits like increased mobility, lower BP, etc?

Hi Intesha, Merry and Cinque. You’re all on another page now so I won’t risk going back. Cinque how did that meeting work out from a couple of weeks back? I hope you’re taking it easy and looking after yourself. Cool weather here too now. Intesha, you are also one of the backbones of this thread so don’t stay away too long! Hope things are going well for you now.

Hi everyone else, have a great weekend all.

Thanks for your reply, I eat between 400-500 cals each fast day and put everything that passes my lips into my fitness pal and double check the calories as I know this isn’t often gospel given the user input.

The first thing I eat on a fast day is a banana then nothing until my evening meal which is either weighed grilled chicken with cottage cheese and lettuce or a frozen lean meal which I ensure won’t take me over my 500cal limit and takes the brain work out of the day.

I only drink black tea without milk or sugar etc if i do need something extra but that’s it.

I have read the fast diet and often refer back to it as well as downloading the fast exercise app for the days I don’t crossfit. Prior to Fast Diet I lost 20kgs through regular dieting so potentially my body has just decided to stay put.

I’m 175cm in height.

I have worked out my TDEE as with weight lifting I need to ensure I am getting the correct amounts of protein, fats, carbs and amino acids but I reckon I might just be maintaining now – which is fine.

I was just surprised to slow down to an almost stand still so soon into the diet.

Will certainly take on board your comments around starchy carbs, I do try and eat wholemeal where possible but I could potentially be better on the weekends….just a little frustrated but I’m sure that is something we are all familiar with.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Sounds like you’re doing everything right on FDs. Although it’s a pain, I suppose the obvious thing then is to have a look at NFD intake. I tried this once and didn’t get beyond counting the cals of all the things that go into my breakfast bowl. I decided this is probably why calorie counting works – the inputter thinks twice about putting things into the mouth as it’s a nuisance putting them into a cal counter as well. Either that or just keep going as you are, treat it like maintenance and any weight loss will just be a bonus.

I think that is the right approach, I might consider doing 1 week of 3 fast days per month to see if this has any impact but I’m happy that it maintains my weight as that is something I have really struggled with in the past…..food is so enjoyable.

Hi all and welcome Boolke and Scared.

Boolke, like Thin said, I can’t see why you aren’t losing more either. I think sometimes our body has its own idea of what it’s ideal weight should be and resists all attempt to push the issue. If we are fit and healthy it doesn’t have to be a problem.

Scared, I eat a lot of vegetarian meals (although not exclusively) with lots of legumes so it’s perfectly possible to do FDs with vegetarian meals. Don’t worry about weighing yourself regularly, it’s not obligatory. We all have our own rhythm with weighing. I only weigh once per month as it makes me too disheartened to follow my eating program and not lose weight and this happen too often if I weigh weekly – over a month the natural fluctuations in my weight have less effect so I’m more likely to see numbers I find encouraging.

Hove everyone’s having a good day. It’s a NFD for me and then I’m doing my 3rd FD for the week tomorrow Yesterday’s FD was tough and I ended up at around 600cals but as I’m doing 3 this week I’m not particularly worried. I have an appointment with the dietitian tomorrow – haven’t seen her since November as I only need an occasional check-in these days.

Hello all – hoping my post posts as my last 3 are nowhere to be seen ?

Happy Saturday ! I had a productive week at work and met deadlines well ahead of time so very pleased with myself indeed….more importantly so is my boss!

Thin yes i do know Victor Harbour but its a long, long way from where i live. Been at least 20 years since i was last there. It is a retirement town and very pricey now i understand. Schoolies Week coverges there once a year….i don’t get Schoolies and i cross my fingers my daughter doesn’t want to take part when she reaches that age.

Busy weekend planned. My daughter has art class today and then her teacher has an exhibition opening so looking forward to that. Picking up some free succulent cuttings for the garden…..yay i love free plants. Then the usual – food shopping, water the garden & fruit trees, ironing (yuck). My daughter has been pestering me to make meat pies so will squeeze that in too.

Tomorrow my daughter and i are heading to another town that has a lovely beach and foreshore for a picnic, take in some retail therapy and try ten pin bowling. Looking forward to a day without chores. Speaking of which the washing machine is telling me to hang out the clothes !

I think i will refer to my daughter as D from now on…..feel like im writing ‘my daughter’ constantly.

Oh and welcome Scared. I replied to your first post but it was one of my posts that vanished into cyberspace.

Take care all

Oh dear Gday, three lost posts is just cruel!
    But other than that, what a great week you had! Have a lovely weekend with D!

Joffy congratulations on your half way mark! 14kg is a lot to not be carrying around all the time! Cheers for the next 14kg that are heading the same way!

Welcome Boolke, I hope your new plan breaks through that plateau!

Congrats on your good fast day Scared! I also find it is easiest to cruise through a fast day with drinks, and then eat at the end of the day.
    Maybe you don’t need to eat up to your TDEE if you don’t feel like it.

Thin, the meeting wasn’t successful, although it still managed to be a good meeting. We just weren’t in a strong enough position to convince them we could do the cafe. I still think we could have pulled it off, but they would have been taking a bigger risk than they were prepared to. Fair enough.
    So now I am doing all the finishing off things to end that project (will update my website today), and then will be the fun work of deciding what we can do next.

I finally feel that I am in the rhythm of Wednesday/Sunday fast days (making the enormous change from Thursday/Sunday fast days!!!!!) (oops sorry for all the !!!! Thin 😉 ) and I know because yesterday I enjoyed my ‘lull’ day, which has changed from Tuesday to Friday. That’s the day that isn’t a fast day, and doesn’t have a fast day on either side. For some reason, it is important for me to feel and savor that day, and yesterday was the first time I have enjoyed a lull day for I don’t know how long. It just took my brain a long time to integrate the change!

LJoyce, enjoy your fast day today, I hope it is an easy pleasant one for a change!

Cheers everyone!

Cinque, we’re back to the same FDs, hurray! Is your cafe not going to proceed now? That’s a shame after all the hard work you’ve put in.

GDSA, I used to refer to my daughter as ‘teen’ until she was no longer and then someone suggested DD (dear daughter). I’m with you on the ‘leavers’ tradition. It’s state sanctioned under-aged binge drinking facilitated by parents. Fortunately, our DD had no interest in it so we didn’t even need the discussion. A few hours after the graduation ceremony, we were on a plane to Africa for a safari. Another great alternative is World Challenge which some high schools offer to coincide with ‘leavers’. If yours doesn’t, maybe that’s something to start campaigning for.

LJ, you have strong willpower not to weigh yourself for a whole month. Have a good FD today.

Hi Everyone,
    Welcome, or welcome again, to Boolke and Scared🙂
    Life is continuing to be very full on, not badly so, but a bit hectic, so my eating is a bit more all over the place though not seriosly so. 64.0 this morning – my original trigger weight. So much for my plan to go down a bit under my goal weight if 62kg. Constantly being out of the house, less control over my food supply, and a bit of stress eating are starting to take their toll. That said, I still fitted easily into a new pair of size 10 pants/slacks/trousers (what do you call them these days) and bought a size 10 dress this week. It’s a wrap dress and given I am usually 2 different sizes top and bottom, the wrap style is a good compromise. It’s been easier, over the last 20 yrs of health and subsequent weight challenges, to wear separates, and that has rarely been a skirt, so buying an actual dress has been amazing! Haven’t worn it yet though.

Funerals are frequent for us at the moment, meaning catching up with family and old friends at the moment, and reminiscing over old photographs. A wedding group photo was up in the photo loop yesterday and relliesI haven’t seen for a long time remarked that I looked the same (size not age of course). Funerals are one of those bittersweet things. But, looking at that photo, there really isn’t a heap of difference even though I was 57-58kgs at the time. No evidence of my top weight if 93kg, or even the 83kgs I was when I started 5:2. So much to be grateful for!

Re plateaus – I’ve plateaued a number of times. I seem to have lost my 21 kgs in steps and stairs. My major plateau about 3 months after starting 5:2 went on past a normal plateau time of 3 weeks and someone here suggested I look at cutting out grain foods. There appears to be a group of people where these foods halt weight loss. There’s another group who contue to lose successfully while eating some grains. I turned out to be in the 1st group.

I decided to consider myself as annexperiment in progress and trial things. I knew by then that 5:2 worked, and that I could work it. I just had to figure out how. So I trialled things. Went of all grain foods, including gluten free ones and substitutes, and my weight immediately started going down again. I have tested this several times. I can eat small amounts to stay stable, but I can’t eat them to lose weight.

More people are starting to ask me about 5:2 now as it is becoming apparent to them that the weight is now off and staying off. I wonder how many will take it up. I get the occasional “don’t lose any more weight” comment, but I just reply that my doctors are very happy with it, and change the subject.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Joffy- you can breathe easy – you’re actually a bit tall for a ballet dancer. Definitely plies, sorry squats though. It’s all that getting ready to leap into the air stuff that does it. Now I’m picturing you leaping around building up the glutes!

Well I hit the wall this morning (not literally) – I couldn’t face yet another FD after only 1 NFD break so I decided to not end my week with a 3rd FD. Next week I am planning 3FD (starting with tomorrow) as I have book club afternoon tea next Saturday and my great-nephew’s 21st lunch next Sunday, so I want to go into that weekend knowing I have an extra FD safety net. The current plan is for FDs on Sun, Tues & Fri.

It has occurred to me that on weeks where I choose to do a 3rd FD I could consider using the new 800cal option for 1 of those days – might make it more doable as I find that 3rd FD really hard to face. Depending on what my weight is at the end of March, I may just go back to 5:2 and accept that the weight loss will be slow. If I’m under 80kg I can live with the last few kgs coming off slowly.

I saw the dietitian this morning. I managed to get some insight into the eating blow-out I had in December that actually caused the weight gain that I’m currently trying to rectify. I have been reading a book that she recommended by Rick Kausman called “If Not Dieting Then What”. He covers things that are helpful for someone with a binge eating disorder like me. His approach attempts to help people develop a better body image and a more natural eating pattern and approach to food. His advice on understanding your appetite; choosing the food you want when you actually want it; eating mindfully and appreciating every mouthful – these have had the most impact on my tendency to overeat. What I have found quite puzzling is that the idea of “choosing the food you want when you actually want it” sound counter-intuitive for a binge eater, but weirdly it does help. I do feel closer to a normal approach to food than I have been before – that’s a good thing.

Hope those of you doing FDs managed (unlike me) to stick to them. I’ll join the Sunday fasters tomorrow.

Never mind LJ, you were on a punishing regime with 3 FDs a week. I don’t think I could manage it. Who cares how long it takes? We’ll look forward to having you joining us tomorrow. I’m planning my FD meal now. It will be a family-friendly one – chicken and bacon casserole 249 cals. It’s a one pot meal and the OFMs love it. I don’t think I’m close to paying much attention to the issues you cite. I know that I’m much, much better than I have ever been before in my life, thanks to 5:2. I do have still have some weird food glitches though. If you decide to continue 3 FDs, one 800 cal would seem a good compromise. I think Cinque does something like this on one of her FDs.

We were to go for another big lunch today but it was cancelled as my friend got chicken pox of all things. She had it as a child too. Not pleasant for her but it does mean my weekend indulgences are more spread out now.

Hey Merry. Wonderful that you’re looking the same weight as in your wedding photos and I bet you don’t look that much older either. I’ve only attended three funerals in my life but older friends say it’s sad that you don’t discover all the amazing things people have done in their lives until they’re gone.

You’ve had the benefit of seeing Joffy in the flesh but if my image of him is correct, and he said it was quite accurate, then Joffy the ballerina would be quite a contradiction in terms.

Hi LJ,

My thinking has gone much the same as yours today. I started out doing a 3rd FD. That was to counteract all the disruption in my food regime this week. That would have meant FDs on Thur, Sat today, then Monday. Alternate days. I’m having a rest day today to catch up on energy and that’s not a great day for me to do a FD, so I reconsidered and decided to do a low calorie day instead.

Psychologically I don’t handle alternate days well, and would never have been able to do Dr Varaday’s regime of Alt Day Fasting. Alt DF and other Intermittant Fasting regimes are less doable for many people, which is why Dr Moseley put forward 5:2 in his documentary on Intermittant Fasting. It’s called “Eat, Fast, and Live Longer” and it is on Youtube.

So… today I’m up to 268 calories at 4.50pm. Part of my challenge with doing the alternate day fasting is that for me , I need to not eat before dinner at night on a FD. Not being 100% today that was not a good option, so I’ve opted for the next best option. I’ve had a boiled egg, miso soup with 100gms konjak noodles, a small apple and a skim milk coffee.

LJ, you’ve had a good meeting with your dietitian. That book sounds good. A decision to accept that the weight may come off a bit slower than you’d like may be the right path for you. It will still work. My journey was much slower than lots of others but I still got to my normal weight. And it feels great!

Merry

Going to bed early, 654cals. Very happy with that, but v tired.

Thin- 3 funerals in 2 weeks for us.

Night all…..zzz

Good morning, it is Sunday fast day. But I am not going to be able to do that research thing, maybe on Wednesday!

Hi Thin, happy fast day! It is a shame about the cafe not going ahead, but we got ourselves out of a bad arrangement with a local organisation, lots of support from the community, and lots of really good experience, so I am judging it as positive all in all (although still tying up ends, I have a tricky email to write today, wish me luck).

LJoyce, Hitting the wall was a very natural reaction! It is nice for you to know that you are batting above average and it is ok to go back to 5:2 if you need to. It is a good idea to do 800calories on the third fast day!

I have listened to and read Rick Kausman. I really love his work.
    Unfortunately other things were impacting on me when I was putting on weight: my brain, or gut biome, or both, sending those intolerable signals telling me I needed to eat. It is only cutting out sugar, and 5:2, that have helped with that.
    However Rick Kausman (and originally Susie Orbach) helped shape my understanding and knowledge about food and society, and mindful eating, and trusting, and that has been really wonderful.

Great work Merry! Oh dear, three funerals in two weeks is very hard. I hope you get a nice long time of everyone you know staying alive now.

I’m going to pull out my zucchini plants today, once I have written that email!
    It is feeling like a good fast day!

Morning Cinque. Happy fast day to you too! It’s good that you see all the positives that have come out of your experience with the cafe. You’ve put a lot of work into that project and learned to deal with a lot of tricky entities. Good luck with the final email and then a big, deep breath and you’re free! (Well, from that anyway – you mentioned something about another project).

It’s a sunny, cool morning in Perth. I’m not complaining, just surprised summer ended so early. Sometimes in March we can still get blisteringly hot days but it’s been cool for well over a week now. I suppose it could still change.

After my walk, it will be a quiet day of pottering in the garden for me – OH has gone flying, DD going to the uni hospital to check vitals on one of her sheep charges.

LJ, are you in the zone today? All the best for a great FD to you, and anyone else fasting – PG, Intesha?

Good Morning and good fasting to the Sunday fasters.

Hope the email is not too tricky Cinque, and well done on getting through these final challenges in a good head space. Thin, your day sounds lovely. Sometimes we need pottering gentle days.

My low-call strategy yesterday has worked well. Slept for 11hrs! 63.0 kg this morning. That’s a 1kg difference yesterday morning to this morning which seems bizarre, bit I reckon there’s a bit if extra fluid retention let go if there. Retaining a bit more fluid when I’ve been overdoing things and getting more tired seems to be a pattern. Happy to see that figure on the scale this morning though I expected it to be 63.5-6 ish.

I’ve been continuing to count steps hoping I can build it up a little. My goal is to eventually, some year, to get to 10,000 per day. Steps yesterday where 1000, which is dreadful, but indicative of my state of health yesterday. With ME/CFS it takes weeks to comeback from overdoing it. Here’s my step record for the last weeks:

Week 1: average 3166, highest 5380, lowest 2606
    Week 2: ” 4952, highest 8659, lowest 2339
    Week 3: ” 4617, highest 6536, lowest, 2144
    Week 4: ” 6553, highest 11,121, lowest 3134
    Week 5: “. 2472, highest 4219, lowest 713
    Week 6: still going, highest 5994, lowest 1000

My shorter term goal is to see if I can get to 5000 average per week with a more even spread of steps. It may not be possible but we’ll see. That week in the middle is what really knocked me around a bit, but that 11,121 day was a special day I don’t regret. I went to an Adele concert! There were also a 7000 day and 8000 day in there, so a huge week.

I encourage everyone who does not have a medical reason to be less active, to get out there and be as physically active as you can be. It won’t contribute hugely to your weight loss but will keep you healthier. It is important at whatever age you are to keep your body as active and functioning well. It’s easy to get complacent as the decades go past. It is easy in our type of society to be more sedentary than we need to be, whether that’s because of a seated occupation or just not giving ourselves the time. Sitting in front of. TV or game console doesn’t get us anywhere.

Off my soapbox now
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Anybody use a Wi setup? I’m wondering if that sort of exercise is useful and if there’s anything gentle included, or is it just gimmicky?
    Merry

I need to get back into the mindset and be accountable. Another mindless eating day yesterday.

FD today 67.6 this morning, not too bad in the scheme of things but it’s been awhile since I glimpsed that 65.

Only teas and coffee so far all black. Will have a protein shake in about an hour. Nearly finished my container load Thin maybe two more left and then I will probably have soup. My pumpkins are going crazy with all this rain so no excuse not to make soup.

Cinque I think you need a well deserved rest from all that planning before you start another project.

Check in tomorrow 😀

Merry, DD has a Wii which we considered would be a five minute wonder and refused to buy when she was about 11. So she busked with her violin outside the city store every weekend until she had enough money (over $500) to go in and buy it. These days, you can find them on gumtree for peanuts which is why we still have hers. You can select any type of exercise you want from yoga to step aerobics style activities. The balance board gives you feedback. I used to enjoy the downhill slalom which improves core balance. I think you could find some gentle activities well-suited to your condition. It also charts your weight and BMI and I remember getting on it after a long absence to discover I’d lost about 16kgs since my last weigh-in! One thing I didn’t really like was the strange little voices that speak to you.

Just had a great walk at the river, loads of people out and about. Yes, we need physical exercise to maintain general health, divert energy away from inflammation, improve healthier ageing and stay vital. Diet, not activity controls our weight. I’m just reading an interesting article in February’s Scientific American by anthropologist Herman Pontzer. His studies of the Hadza (hunter gatherers in Tanzania) show that people who lead physically hard lives burn the same number of calories as people who have access to modern conveniences.

He also studied individuals and found that daily physical activity was only weakly related to metabolism. Couch potatoes tended to spend 200 fewer calories per day than moderately active people (people like me who get some physical exercise and try to take the stairs where possible). But more importantly, EE plateaued at higher activity levels – people with the most intensely active daily lives burned the same calories as moderately active people.

Obesity is a disease of gluttony, not sloth. You can’t outrun a bad diet. Inconvenient truths!

Here’s a short lecture from Herman Pontzer if anyone’s interested. Watch it standing up!
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pontzer-the-evolution-of-human-metabolism/

Hi all hope you are all having a lovely Sunday. It’s a warm one here in Adelaide.

Yes Thin I am in the zone today. The warm weather helps as it tend to blunt my appetite.

I don’t agree that obesity (particularly persistent morbid obesity) is always caused by gluttony. Gluttony/bingeing/overeating can be a symptom of something much more traumatic. Most of the the women that I know who have been morbidly obese for most of their lives have had to deal with significant childhood or adolescent trauma or abuse. The eating stared as a reaction to that and it became a coping mechanism and a misguided attempt to either provide comfort or make themselves undesirable. I think the only reason I can currently cope with not being obese is that I’m now in my mid-50s and on some level I believe my age can protect me in the way I used to use weight as protection (this is still misguided, I know that). These are unfortunately much more uncomfortable truths than gluttony or sloth. It’s one of the reasons that I think anyone with these issues really does need counselling or psychological help when trying to lose weight as with the weight loss comes the fears that they may or may not be ready to face yet. When I finally decided to tackle my weight (at 127kg) I didn’t start with a dietitian I started with sessions with a psychologist. I don’t think I would have made it through the weight loss process without that help. There have actually been a few pieces of research published into this correlation. The best summary is the following meta-analysis: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140902092947.htm

Sorry to throw an emotional bomb into the mix today. Think my discussions with the dietitian yesterday stirred up some issues I’m trying to work through.

If anyone finds having this issue on our forum too uncomfortable let me know and I’ll ask for it to be deleted.

Hi LJ,

No, it’s not too emotional of an issue.; it’s all part of our history of excess weight and ill health. I read Thin’s comment as meaning “over-eating” rather than “greed”. Back in a little while…..
    Merry

No please don’t have the post removed LJ. I think the author was simply making the distinction that it’s increasing fuel intake, not inactivity that causes obesity. He’s just saying that experts have for years incorrectly assumed that physically active people burn more calories than less active people which is not the case. Gluttony just means overeating in this context. His findings don’t attempt to explain any underlying psychological rationale for overeating. That’s a separate discussion – and one I’m happy to have on these pages so fire away. Although I find it much easier over a cup of coffee.

Our posts crossed Merry. Yes, exactly that. The words gluttony, obesity and sloth aren’t very complimentary are they?

All this should be good news for people who can’t exercise much (I know I was happy to read that I probably burn as many calories as someone doing far more exercise than myself!) and underscores how Merry, Cinque and others have been so successful with 5:2 despite their limitations in physical activity. It also explains how I spent thousands of dollars in gym memberships over many years without enjoying the slightest change to my weight. Of course there were health benefits, it’s just that weight loss wasn’t among them.

Oh words! We can never stop defining and explaining and clarifying words and concepts.

LJoyce I am also one who had to learn that I am not greedy (and lazy), but in fact a wonderful warrior who managed to survive a dreadful childhood! When I comfort eat now I remind myself that this is a technique that helped me survive, and while it isn’t the best thing for me now, I can be appreciative, rather than hating it, and mindful of my thoughts and feelings so I can understand more.

Thin, I watched that lecture… Sunday fast day afternoon, and waiting for feedback about the email (one so far, that it is good), so it was just the thing, and it was interesting.

Hi Merry too!

Hi, I’ve just been out watering the garden and mulling through my thoughts.

Thin, I do realise that you were trying to make the point that it’s diet rather than activity that has the far greater impact on weight and I do absolutely agree with this. It was just that one statement “Obesity is a disease of gluttony, not sloth” that set me off. It took me so long to realise what I was doing and why and that dealing with the issue as diet/nutrition problem was never going to resolve it.

I have a wonderful GP, who helped me figure out in my mid-20s that I was using weight as protection – I had been completely unaware on a conscious level that I was doing that, I assumed that I just lacked willpower. It took me another 25 years to actually resolve enough of the underlying issues that I could then finally deal with the symptom (my weight).

I think too many doctors see obesity as a lack of nutrition knowledge (and offer advice)or a lack of will power (and offer bariatric surgery) rather than an emotional/mental health issue to be dealt with. I’ve often wondered why they can see than anorexia (starving yourself to death) is as much a mental health issue as a dietary one, but can’t see those parallels in morbid obesity (eating yourself to death). My GP said this was never covered in med school (although med school was quite a while ago for him so what they teach may have changed since then).

By the way, I have no trouble admitting to being slothful all too often – an hour reading a book always sounds far more inviting to me than a hour walking. I’m always striving for a better balance with this one.

LJ, it’s an interesting point about anorexia isn’t it? Even back when I was at uni, it was recognised as a psychosis. Before that, I was at boarding school with a sufferer and it was truly that; she had absolutely no insight into her illness. Amazing that she could look in the mirror and see a fat person when her clothes were safety-pinned all over her skeletal frame just so they’d stay up. The last I saw of her was being put into an ambulance. More recently, a friend’s DD was diagnosed with it in high school. Because my friend is an RN and was very persistent, she did get access to the right help (which is in seriously short supply for that age group) and she’s now a much healthier weight. But it will be with her in some form or another for the rest of her life, my friend says she’s still very manipulative about food and that it dominates their lives.

I’m not sure about body image distortion at the other end of the scale. I know when I was overweight, I got used to being the size I was but I think I was always acutely aware of being overweight. I don’t think obesity in itself is a form of mental illness but I agree with you that there can be many different underlying emotional causes. It’s not someone’s ‘fault’. I’m sorry if I’ve triggered something unpleasant – those were the words of the study’s author, not mine.

These issues are not covered in medical school. My own GP was always very supportive of my obsession with being overweight – mainly because he has the same issues. He doesn’t know that I know but he’s had lapband surgery. Watching those documentaries about bariatric surgery wards, I also wonder about treating the underlying factors that caused those people to become obese. When I go in to my doc’s treatment room, he usually has a couple of chocolate biscuits on a plate under his desk! I find this a bit weird. Then again, I do a bit of secret eating myself but that’s a discussion for a coffee meeting.

And Cinque, you are a wonderful warrior for sure! And I’m sorry for anyone else here who had a miserable childhood. I do know what that’s like.

Wanted to say, LJ, that we had a discussion on this thread some time ago, maybe even a year ago, where nearly every female posting at that time had difficult childhood issues they identified as being a definite part of their overeating. It was amazing and eye opening as we all went me too, me too, me too. It said a lot , and it said a lot about choldhood abuse and also mother/daughter relationships as 2 parts of that. Me too. And it is something we discuss when we meet face to face.

We grieve for the happy childhoods we didn’t have and we grieve about the emotional and psychological distress and damage and consequent food issues that are brought into play.

Other than overeating, I have also known someone with morbid obesity from a genetic
    disorder and also from medicinal side effects.

There was not much happiness or peace of mind in my childhood, and for me food was a way of being able to feel “good”. Still does. 5:2 has been an extraordinary gift in my life that gave me a way to sustainably normalise my weight and keep it normalised. I am very, very grayeful to Dr Moseley and that documentary. 5:2 has given me back some of myself, improved my self-image and self-esteem. It’s improved my health,😄😄😄💕 and allows me to still sometimes have the foods that say “you’re OK”.

Much love to you all,
    Merry

Thin – you don’t have to be worried about setting off my triggers. I’m done hiding from my issues and am determined to face up to everything that has an impact on my life that I want to free myself from. I do also believe that our subconscious will protect us and I’ve found that issues only become clear to me when I’m ready to confront them. When I’m not ready, I just don’t notice.

As to the issue of body image. I was always heavier than I thought. What I saw in the mirror was always smaller than reality. Oddly it was always apparent in photographs, just not in the mirror. I’d get ready to attend an event and look in the mirror and think I looked nice. Then later I’d see a photo of myself at that event and be horrified and how enormous I looked. I’ve never understood why I couldn’t reconcile the image in the mirror with the image in the photo. Still can’t figure that one out.

I echo Thin’s statement. Apologies if my blunt comments have stirred up traumas for others.

Hello all, have joined today and am starting my journey tomorrow. I am from perth and am very excited to begin this new way of life. I need to lose around 60kg and i know that it wont be easy but i have to say that reading all of ur inspirational stories on here will keep me focused. I have to say that this new eating plan (not a diet as i hate that word) certainly feels to be so achievable. So excited to get started with my first fast day tomorrow. Thanks all 😊

Hi Nell, Welcome!
    Yes eating plan is a better description! Sending best wishes for tomorrow!

I have just had my delicious bowl of soup for my fast day evening. It has been a good day.

Intesha thanks for your kind words, I AM taking it slow for a nice break (after this thing is worked out! 😉 ). And thanks Thin, 🙂

What a lovely bunch of people we have here. Glad to have you too Nell!

Hi Nell, welcome here! I’m in Perth too. You’ve come to the right place. You’re being thrown in the deep end with us lot today!

Merry, I hadn’t remembered that discussion on our thread but it does seem vaguely familiar now that you mention it. I didn’t have a happy childhood either and food issues loom large in my memories of it. However, I don’t mean to trivialise others’ experiences because we were safe, well-educated, well-provided for and I was certainly never physically or sexually abused, nothing like that. When I learned I was having a daughter, I cried because I was so worried about having the same relationship as I’d had with my own mother. Fortunately, we don’t have to repeat our parents’ mistakes and, despite the extra large generation gap, I have a very good relationship with my own daughter.

LJ, that photo image thing is interesting. I definitely knew I was overweight but it was in seeing photos of myself that I realised just how bad I looked. I wonder why it is different from a mirror image – is it because the mirror image is animated and real? Is it that we’re standing in front of a mirror (looking a bit more streamline) but seated for photos (rolls of fat showing)?

Well, it’s been a heavy fast day! Looking forward to tomorrow’s weigh-in and frothy coffee. I hope it’s been a good day for all the fasters, and non-fasters. Good luck tomorrow Nell. Ask us anything. We think we know everything. Not really!

Monday morning already…..cant be surely !

Hello all and welcome Nell.

Had a lovely day out yesterday with D. Ran out of time so didnt get to go ten pin bowling but will go back again soon.

I bought some more outfits on sale. Size 10 again….yippee. i did notice though while staring at the change room mirror that yes i am definitely losing my tummy and muffin top but have also gained what i can describe as ‘skin flab’. Under the top of my arms and around waist so need be a bit more targeted with my exercise before it becomes unmanageable.

Purchased heavier hand weights and a balance board. Also bought a second hand treadmill which i collect tomorrow. Im up at 5am every day and thats when i feel like exercising but its dark outside and i cant leave D home on her own while i go for a brisk walk. Will do some research today on targeted exercise.

Well better get my skates on and get organised for the day. Happy Monday everyone

Hi fellow Southern Hemispherites!

I’ve caught up reading all the posts and there’s a lot of food for thought which I’d love to respond to, though am off to work soon and then I’ll be studying later this afternoon, so I’ll keep this brief. …Well that’s the plan, we’ll see if I can pull that off!

Welcome to new members Scared, Nell69 and broolke. You’ve come to my favorite thread on this forum and a place I hope you end up feeling as at home in as I do.

Broolke, I’m just wondering if you’ve measured your fat percentage? There are various methods of doing this, both by doing some measurements with a tape measure. Alternatively some scales offer body fat measurement as an option (though some question the accuracy of these – I compared mine with the tape measure method and mine coincided). With the intense exercise, and did I read ‘weight training?’, could it be that your muscle mass is such that your weight at present is at bottom of healthy BMI range? I’m curious to know what your BMI is currently? I might have missed it if you posted it.

With regard to what caused me to be overweight, as many on this forum know, I too cite emotional eating and bingeing as the reason (I’d like to blame the food industry or lack of education/poor food choices, though those factors are minor influences in my equation). In my twenties when my bingeing and weight were at their worst, I did turn to psychotherapy to help me and this helped me immensely. Had I not gotten help there I may have continued my midnight visits to 24 hour Winchell’s doughnuts where I’d select a half dozen of my favorites and eat them in the car on the way home. …I didn’t suffer physical or sexual abuse either. My abuse was psychological and I’ve learned in my TAFE class studies that psychological abuse can have even far reaching consequences than physical abuse (though the two often go together). For example, I know of someone personally a very wise woman who I greatly respect, who suffered both physical and psychological abuse as a child, who is now in her 50s. This friend says that she feels that she got over the physical abuse long ago. However, the negative ways she was treated emotionally and what was said to her verbally bubbles up in her mind, though usually represented as her own voice and attitudes toward herself and that she continues to be a work in progress toward overcoming these. I resonate with that which makes me much more understanding and compassionate towards myself with regard to my bingeing and emotional eating. In fact what has helped me most with bingeing and emotional eating is something I’ve probably mentioned previously which is in response to a binge episode or when I’m aware I’m eating out of emotional hunger (hanger, hunxiety) rather than true physical hunger is to be the best mother I can be to myself, which is a challenge in and of itself since I can’t rely on roll models from growing up.

I’ve also discovered other ways that make all the difference, though I’ve got to get ready for work now!

Love reading everyone’s posts even if I am not able to comment on them all individually.

I’m fasting tomorrow (Tuesday).

Good morning all,

Very warm welcome to you Nell🙂 If you have any questions or just want to check in during your first FD then please do. No question is too silly or simple.

We are an eclectic group of Australians and New Zealanders, female and male, some losing, some maintaining. There are the regular posters, some who post weekly-ish, some who post as they can or as they wish to in very busy lives, and there are a few wise Yodas who pop in occasionally. We are various ages and various degrees of health and weight. Many of us have never been on a forum before this one.

Weekly check in: 63.3 goes on my weekly graph today. Last Monday was 63.4 so only 100gm down for the week , but given the last weeks food situations I didn’t handle so well I’m accepting of that. Not happy but accepting. Tomorrow is the last of our 3 funerals, and travelling again as we did for the first 2. An esky might be going with us this time. So much of food at a wake has wheat – whether sandwiches, cakes, slices, biscuits, breaded and battered deep fried things. All a challenge for me needing to be gluten and grain free, and food on the road isn’t a lot different. I’ll swear I’ve been to fast food outlets where I’m the first person who’s asked for the salad option, given the reaction. I’m intolerant not coeliac so I can manage and put up with the symptoms for a few days after but, heck, I enjoy eating that stuff and it usually sets me off craving it again for days. Life has been so busy that I just didn’t think to take food with me. Busy means ‘brain fog’ eventuates so it’s no wonder I forgot.

Good morning everyone,
    A nice day-after-fast-day for me. We have gone all humid and wet, and still warm. The garden loves it!

Minka so glad you could take a little time to post, I know how busy you are! I hope it is a really good day! Your journey has turned you into an amazing woman!

So, it seems, has everyone else’s! Although in some cases it is an amazing man!

Gday, oh dear, the dreaded skinflab. I am pretty sure our bodies need to work at their own slow pace (the older we are the slower the pace) dealing with it. I have read that resistance training may help, but you can’t count on it. “Several factors affect loss of skin elasticity during weight changes, including age, genetics and the length of time someone has carried excess weight.”
    I remember seeing a woman on TV who lost an enormous amount of weight at the Curves Gym and she looked like a strong slender woman inside a huge baggy skin costume! She was as fit as anything, but needed surgery to deal with excess skin. http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/you-lost-weight-what-about-extra-skin#1
    I am still hopeful that my flabby upper arms might still have enough elasticity to go back but, whether they do or not, I am healthier and prepared to wear sleeveless dresses!
    Congrats on the size 10 outfits, you will rock them!

Merry I hope you can make a lovely little esky up with the best food in it. I’ll be thinking of you at the third funeral tomorrow.
    It is not fair, is it, that at times of stress and busyness, it is harder to be organised and sensible!

My response…. I am taking off to do some opshopping!

Best wishes everyone!

Another Monday over. Weight after FD yesterday 66.2. FD tomorrow.

It must be a generational thing with a lot of us on this forum. I didn’t have a bad childhood but it was definitely strict. My Dad was in the navy and when he was home he treated us like one of his sailors. I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until I had eaten everything on my plate and his favourite saying was ‘the kids in Korea would kill themselves for that’. My Mum was always saying I wouldn’t amount to much because I hated school and if I lost some weight she’d say, you look so pretty when you lose weight. So we were brainwashed and made to feel inadequate. Makes you wonder how we survived. No wonder we struggle with self-confidence and body image.

We have survived and I think we are stronger for the experience although at times we doubt ourselves but this WOL is changing us and the support and honesty given cannot be bought or packaged.

Well done and power to us.

Thanks for sharing that Intesha. I was at boarding school with some ‘army and navy brats’ as they were called in the UK. I was a bit scared of some of their dads when I went home with them for weekends, they were so strict and also quite detached but the latter might have been a generational trait. Your memory of your dad talking of the Korean kids reminded me that mine used to say, “there are children in Biafra starving to death”. I wanted to say “send it to them, then” but I wouldn’t have dared be cheeky.

Well, I’m pretty well up on Africa these days but I just had to look up which country used to be Biafra. I found out that Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, was an unrecognised state in southeastern Nigeria that existed from May 1967 to January 1970. That’s an interesting piece of information to me because of my age at the time. I mentioned yesterday that issues with food loom large in my childhood memories but even I was surprised to discover just now that I was still being told at the meal table to finish my plate because of starving children in Africa – when aged 11-14 years or older!

Intesha I think it is amazing what you do for your parents. I’m estranged from my mother (sometimes you have to make hard decisions as GDSA I think it was has recently done) but I made peace with my dad before he died. Even so, and geography aside, there is no way I could consider looking after either of them in their old age after the job they did with us as parents. Our DD is often joking that we’d better be nice to her because she’ll be choosing our nursing home.

GDSA, I was thinking about you on your picnic yesterday. I’d forgotten about the bowling but you didn’t go anyway.

Minka, I like what you said about being the best mother to yourself. I feel sorry that you suffered psychological abuse as a child.

Cinque, hope the op shopping was productive. Merry, good luck getting back in the swing. Nell, how did you get on with your first FD today?

Hi all thank u for ur warm welcome. Well day one of my journey and my first FD and to be honest it wasnt that hard i chose to eat at night with just coffee in the morning and water for rest of the day. Did get hungry round lunchtime but just kept busy which was good prob easier cause i was at work lol. It is really encouraging reading all of ur posts so thank u for ur support it is really appreciated 🙂 taking it one day at a time but looking forward to day 2 of my journey 🙂

thinatlast, I actually did answer back to my father about the starving children. “Dad, exactly how will my eating something here in any way do something good for those poor children?” I believe it was the last time other children were mentioned at the dinner table.

Good morning everyone,
    FD completed which you would think sounds mundane after 6 months but it is always another achievement. I nearly grabbed some fruit without thinking when I arrived home early at lunchtime yesterday. It would not have affected weight loss even if it did push up the daily intake, it is about the principle we are following to keep the intake low for two days a week as a commitment to ourselves.

My parents have told the me the stories of the work they used to do as children to bring home extra food like cleaning the butcher shop to take home some left over cuts of meat which would be the only meat the family got for the week often. I believe this is why the emphasis on eating what you are given as they were not sure if they were going to get something that good the next day and the work it took to get the food.

My kids are great and appreciate good food and hardly leave veggies ever and follow my way of eating all veggies before their meat or fish, this came from when I was a child and was told you must finish your veggies which tasted terrible when cold so I would eat them first and after telling my kids about this when being questioned of my eating methods from observing my plate with all the veggies missing.

Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 1 x salad 500kj (it had olive oil on it thus higher count), 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj
    Total 1850kj or 442cals.

Congratulations Nell! I remember how relieved I was at the end of my first fast day, that it was so much easier than I was afraid it would be!

Ha K-Lo good on you for answering back. I think my sister and I talked about posting our unwanted food to the poor starving kids. Which is probably what should be done, on a global level!

I’ve got my 2yo granddaughter with me, she had a very unsettled night! Ended up reading her stories at 4 and she did get back to sleep around five, but that wad all after an hour or more of wriggling. She is worst when she misses her nap, which she did yesterday. This also means I might have to cut and run, she wants to go outside and play in the puddles! Lucky she is a darling!

Nothing in the opshop I am afraid, Thin. But I only went to one. I might fit more in tomorrow!

Excellent work with your kids Joffy. And congratulations on another good fast day. It is the principle, I agree. Funny how habits overtake us though!

We try so hard to do better by our kids!
    Must go!

Hi all SHs,

Hope you’re all having good days.

I’m on a FD and despite only have a single NFD break between FDs I’m feeling good today. I’ve just decided that from now on I stick to 2 NFD between FD. As my dietitian pointed out last Saturday, I’ve lost enough weight for my blood pressure and inflammation to return to acceptable levels now, so it’s time to let go of the sense of panic I was feeling about the weight gain and take it at a sensible sustainable pace now. She is also concerned that the more restriction I add the more likely I am to binge eat, and she’s right about that too. Now that my key health risks have been mitigated It’s time to focus on a sustainable and healthy approach. So no more ADF or 4:3 and I feel comfortable about that decision now – funny how I fought that idea for a few days – takes me a while to get to acceptance. There is another advantage that I’ve noticed with the 5:2 pattern – they are the only weeks where I seem able to actually eat under my TDEE on some NFDs and I think learning to not feel that I need to eat to my maximum limit all the time would be a good thing for me to practice so that day-to-day starts to feel normal.

I have an important hospital appointment this afternoon. Every 24 weeks I go through an assessment process to see if I qualify to remain on my current treatment drug for rheumatoid arthritis. It is a stressful process as I have to meet a lot of clinical targets to meet the requirements. I’ve already had the necessary blood tests done and my GP has confirmed that my results are within the parameters that I need (even though I just squeaked through with some of them). At the hospital they’ll examine all my joints looking for inflammation. I have to have no more than 3 inflamed major joints to satisfy the requirements and I examined them all myself this morning and I think only my knees will fail – that’s 2 which is OK. The final measurement is my weight – what I weigh determines the amount of the treatment drug that is funded through the PBS prescription system. Basically if my weight falls below 60kg they will cut my treatment drug dose by 1/3. It’s not likely that I’ll ever weigh that low and I’m currently in the high 70s. So I’m going into this afternoon’s appointment not feeling stressed about the outcome, I think it should all be OK.

Hi all, at work but finding it hard to concentrate so thought I’d log on and read some posts.

Yes I too was told about the starving children while at the dinner table. My father was very strict & would sit next to us at the table with a cut off horse whip in his hand while we ate. I still cant get my head around why he thought wacking me on the back with a whip while i was sobbing so much i couldnt get my breath would make me eat. What was left on the plate after the awful battle was put in front of us for breakfast.

I totally blame this for the fact that i was a fussy eater up until about 10 years ago when my D was born. For probably 20 years i declined all social invitations that involved food/eating because i felt so embarrassed and hated being in any ‘food’ situations with other people.

Better get back to work now then off to pick up my secondhand treadmill.

GDSA, when I first read your post, I thought you were attempting to add some light-hearted humour to this childhood meal table discussion. Then I realised you were giving an account of what actually took place. I’m guessing you’re about 20 years younger than I so it’s less likely that your dad ‘went without’ during ‘the war’. It’s very disturbing and I have memories of being served up leftovers in a similar manner. There was no physical violence but it was always distressing. I sometimes watch these cooking shows on TV where they go on about the preparing and sharing of food equating to love and I just don’t get it. Mealtime at our house was anything but pleasant. Children were seen and not heard. Definitely not a time of coming together and sharing the love.

GDSA I am so sorry you had to deal with this awful behaviour growing up. No child should have to grow up in fear. It’s an absolute credit to you that you have managed to move beyond the damage that this caused and have been able to raise your daughter in a different way and with a better attitude to food.
    Breaking the cycle with children and grandchildren is one the best legacies that I think we can leave.

Hi fellow Tuesday fasters and non-fasters!

Just poking my head in here for a few minutes! Doing best to catch up with recent posts too.

How is it going Scared?

Nell, that’s great how you handled the hunger mid day on your first FD. I find FD hunger comes and goes in waves, so like you experienced keeping busy can often help. Another thing I find helps is by drinking a big glass of water, or two!

Merry, Thin and Cinque, I want to say how much I appreciated reading that you all see how far I’ve come since beginning 5:2 and starting with this group. I too feel that my confidence has been boosted from both 5:2 and participating here. You and the support of all the other members means a lot to me.

Joffy, as I’m in the eve of my FD, I too regard it as a significant event, as I do every FD. I agree that each one is an achievement and even the easiest ones take discipline and the following of the principle. Like you, I count every calorie, not because I think an extra cup of Madame Flavor tea will cause me to gain weight, but like you said, to stay on course, so to speak.

GDSA, I too would have felt terrified were I sitting in your chair at the dinner table. I feel for you and all you’ve had to work through since around sharing food with others. I’m so sorry you had to go through all that in a place that is meant to be our place of safety.

LJ, I hope all goes smoothly for you at the hospital appointment. I was surprised that you have to get regularly tested to see if you continually comply in order to continue with your medication protocol. I would think/hope that given your condition is incurable, that you’d automatically be allowed to continue with it. …Or are the tests to ensure that the mediation is working as is supposed to since if it isn’t working as it should that it inadvertently causes underlying harm? …So to save you from side effects? In any case, well done for reducing the inflammation! I’m gathering that IF plays a part in that?

Here, here! …In other words, I second your sentiments Intesha about how the dysfunction we lived can have a positive effect of making us stronger as does this WOL which for me enables me to face and deal with our difficult pasts, especially for those of us who have used food as a way of quelling or swallowing feelings.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,851 through 10,900 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.