My Alternate Day Fasting Experiment-No Thank You!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
My Alternate Day Fasting Experiment-No Thank You!

This topic contains 38 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  adfasting 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

• I am not new to intermittent fasting.

Members of my family have done fasting. I did 5:2 many months ago for several weeks. I lost weight painlessly. Who knows why I stopped – oh yes, I do remember – because I wanted to try the alternate day fasting to get the weight off quicker. What a miserable failure. You just can’t live your life having to eat 500 calories every other day. Period.

Then I moved on to The 8 Hour Diet or 8/16, fasting for 16 hours a day and eating for 8. Not only did I not lose any weight…I gained! You can pack in a lot of food in those 8 hours.

I should never have stopped what really worked and what I could make a lifestyle out of: 5:2.

You know, I read a pretty damning interview with Dr. Varady about how she does not want to be associated with 5:2 at all and how her research was “used” for 5:2. Uh, she also has a new book coming out in December, so of course she suddenly has her own agenda. I thought her interview was unnecessary, cruel and self-serving. 5:2 works if you just let it.

Oh, I might add I was on Varady’s facebook page the other day, just out of curiosity. Someone asked about plateaus and what to do. She said add another DAY of fasting. Ok, so when I reach a plateau down the road, I’m supposed to do 500 calories every other day then add ANOTHER day of 500 calories if my weight loss halts? Totally not doable.

So a big thank you to Dr. Mosley and his coauthor Mimi for a wonderful book that we can make a lifestyle. There may not be precise “research” on 5:2, but guess what? It works! Millions of folks are proving it. I will be the next one! I’m not going anywhere. Thanks for this forum.

Hi sheryljd, like you I have read the Dr Varady interview along with a couple of other reports into the 5:2 lifestyle. We can all read what we want to into the variations of fasting. I do agree with you, 5:2 is achievable by many who may or may not feel that they can go on to other variations of a fasting regime suitable to them. Michaels interpretation of a fasting diet is I believe geared to be acceptable to many who have not even thought of the concept because some versions are to radical. The posts on this site show it is achievable by many even though the concept of the inner health benefits may have become lost to the benefits of weight loss. If Michael and Mimi makes some material benefit from his interpretation of fasting then that is ok to me.
    Good Luck to you all out there.

Hi sheryljd

I’ve been on 5:2 for around 5 weeks and 9 lbs lighter – yippee – I was considering ADF to speed things along a bit too but having read your post, I won’t! I shall try to be more patient, keep up with the current program and let 5:2 work its magic instead. Thanks for your comments and best wishes on your fasting journey.

Thanks Couscous. And if you really think about it, so what if Dr. Mosley came up with his own, easier interpretation of alternate day fasting? It worked for him and it works for us.

And if you think about it, Dr. Agatston of South Beach Diet fame created his own diet that went on to great success. Same with Atkins. I doubt if they had myriad “studies” behind them. For you vegetarians out there, the now popular Forks Over Knives vegan diet was created with some guidelines for vegans. Folks claim to lose weight on it and lower cholesterol. No clinical studies on that diet either.

I personally am so grateful that the lightbulb went on for Dr. Mosley and he saw fit to give us a liveable interpretation of fasting. May we all succeed!

Loz, being impatient is what did me in. Now I’ll take slow and steady if it’s something I can live with forever. I’ve learned my lesson. It took me years to get this fat. It will take a while to get it off. And now that’s ok.

Loz, 9 lbs. in 5 weeks is AWESOME. Congratulations!

Thank you sheryljd. A quote by one of my teachers (Dr Shinichi Suzuki) springs to mind, ‘Never hurry, never stop’

sheryljd

here here cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let’s all

Keep

It

Simple
    &
    Sweet

KISS

thanks

Yes! “Never hurry, never stop.” I love that.

KISS. Exactly, Wilt. How many diets have we been on that drove us crazy. Does anyone remember the Zone diet where you had to figure out percentages of carbs to protein to fat? I could write a list of them. No more. I’ve wasted too much time on diets in my life.

sheryl

u may call me usa

what a nightmare the zone diet ugh gave that up quick

the only 1 that ever worked big time was atkins

but gained it all back love those carbs πŸ˜€

now it so much easier 2 go low carb & the scientific community

r now realizing his work was right

what about these new ones?

the belly fat diet & the fast metabolism again confusing ugh!!

so now i mash up the best diets πŸ™‚

i’m a 4/2/1
    IFLCHFCCMED

(intermittentfastinglowcarbhighfatcarbcyclingmediterranean)

might as well smash all the best proven scientifically w/ the most important 1 the fastday lifestyle FDL that really fits whatever u want 2 do πŸ˜€

& recently (life’s way 2 short 2 be a prisoner of the diet world)

the

4/2/1 is

4 nonfastdays based on my tdee -20%

2 fastdays 500 cals

1 feastday sunday whatever i want πŸ˜€ (but still count cals it’s so easy w/ all that technology)

lost 25 lbs since march plateauing 4 times during w/ one nightmare day

there is a guy on this forum doing a 4/2/1

however,
    he is no calorie counting
    4lowcarb highfat only
    2 fastdays
    1 feast whatever he wants all the carbs he wants

watching his progress

what r ur routines?

now i’m doing my reverse type2 diabetes experiment

u probably saw the post will not know weight until it is done

cross ur fingers /hair /legs whatever works πŸ˜€

β–Άβ–Άβ˜ž SHOUT OUT 2 MICHAEL& MIMI THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS! β˜œβ—€β—€

happy nonfastdays & fastdays β™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺ & feastday!!!β™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺβ™ͺ

@sheryljd
    “You know, I read a pretty damning interview with Dr. Varady about how she does not want to be associated with 5:2 at all and how her research was β€œused” for 5:2. ”

I also read the article, and I think you were referring to this:

http://www.healthista.com/nutrition/fasting-diets-science-research-studies-52-diets/

Fasting works. It’s up to the individual to find their best approach.

Glad that you gave us your feedback.

➰

USA, everyone has to find what works for them, but I refuse to count calories on my non-fast days. I did it for years, and yes I was slim back then, but it’s no way to live, and I hated it. I will only count calories for two days a week. If I plateau I may up it to three days a week once in a while or just be more conscious of what I’m doing on my “feast” days. We’ll see when the time comes. But I won’t ever count calories on my non-fasting days again. I’ve been through it all – Weight Watchers points, calorie counting, zone diet, fat gram counting, carb counting, food exchange plans, etc. They never worked long term for me, because I couldn’t make them a lifestyle. So I always gained the weight back. This time it will be different.

I have 60 lbs. to lose. I can’t believe I let myself go like this, but it feels good to exhale it and admit it to the world.

rocky, yes that’s the article. The first time I read it, I really got sucked in to what Varady was saying. Then I reread it and connected the dots leading to her new book. But that’s ok, 5:2 will be just fine without any references to her studies in future publications of the Fast Diet. Speaking of The Fast Diet, it should arrive in the mail from amazon today. It will be interesting to see if I get the edition where her references are left out or if I get the original printing. I have two other books on 5:2, but I really wanted the original. I’m contemplating buying the cookbook too.

I can’t wait until I am a success story too!

sheryl,

i wish i could be u.

i tried it that way. i call u guys the elite group

the one’s that don’t have 2 count & lose weight

congrats!

Just love your positive attitude, sheryljd! I’d like to be a success story too – I just hope that this forum still exists by the time I get there πŸ˜‰ My rate of loss is less than a pound a month – 3 down, 7+ to go…

USA, you just do what works for you! And I’m glad it’s working for you. We all have to find our own journey.

Steph, Thanks. I’ve had too much negativity in my life and now I find good in whatever I can. From your post, it sounds like you don’t have that much more to lose. I read that the closer you are to goal weight, the more your losses slow down. Even less than a pound in a month is still a loss! I tell myself even if I lose just a pound of month, that will be 12 pounds less of me for next year. And besides, this is something we can live with, not just another diet.

I couldn’t agree more! πŸ™‚

I have tried all 5:2, 4:3, and ADF since June 2013. This is what I think:

5:2 works
    4:3 works, and faster. I did experience weight gains on the consecutive eat-day
    ADF works, very fast, and consistent. I prefer this.

I guess just DO SOMETHING, don’t do NOTHING in the end it’s a total calorie deficit on a given timeframe.

Javaman, I have done a combination of ADF, 4:3 and 5:2 over the last ten weeks with a lot of success. I believe that ADF is fine for a week or two but I would not want to have to maintain it for a long time! It is great if you want to speed things up a bit or make up for having overinduled.

In the long run though, the greatest success for me is to have looked at my dietary habits very closely and to have changed some really bad habits to good ones. (I.e. stopping to drink Coke, putting sugar in my coffee and having a super ice cream every night) I also eat much more veggies these days and make sure that I eat things that my granny would recognise as food, i.e. cutting out processed foods. This alone helped me to drop weight on top of what I lost with 5:2.

I was away for a couple of weeks and could not do 5:2 so I watched what I was eating and I tried to put as many “good” calories in my body as I could. I did not only not gain weight, but I even lost some more.

Whatever works for us. Good luck with ADF!
    Stef.

Dr Varadys diet sounds grim. I couldn’t manage one meal only on a fast day , and every other day? NO thank you! I love the fast day and I’m sticking with it for good!

You do not have to eat just one meal on your fast day, with Dr. Varady’s program. Sounds grim but is not a problem to do, at least for me.

We all need to find our way and there is no right or wrong as long as it works!
    Stef.

In the end I found Dr Varaday’s program works better for me. I could never quite get a handle on the feed days and not overeat. I lost a stone in the first month, and it slowed just a little bit thereafter. After a week or two, I wasn’t even that hungry on the fast days. On the non fast days, ‘feast days’ in her parlance, I thought I’d binge but never did and never wanted to.

Whatever works.

It suits me to have a lunch and an evening meal on a fast day – I cannot keep going through the afternoon otherwise! Evrey day I prefer to eat my last meal before 7.30pm to help my digestion and rarely have any starch/carbs with that meal. My fast day meals are usually a ham salad at lunch time and in the evening steamed celery or zucchini with 1oz grated cheese and I feel so good the next morning. I try to do two 500 calorie meals a week and other days I just miss breakfast if I feel hungry.

I have been doing a kinda sorta ADF-5:2 for a little over a year. What I do is to fast Mon, Wed & Fri. Sometimes I have to skip a day, so at a minimum I get in a 5:2 regimen. It has been very effective for weight loss. When I’m on the program I will consistently lose 1 lb a week. Dealing with the hunger on fast days can be challenging, but I alway feel great the next day. I have always been obese since I was a child. This is the first program that I have found to be really effective. I gave it up over the holidays, and for once, I didn’t gain an ounce. I’m very happy about that. So far I’ve lost about 45 lbs and my labs are now spectacular. (That in itself, is worth the price of admission).

MrGhrelin, congratulations on your success with intermittent fasting πŸ™‚ It has worked very well for me, too.

If you read all the blub you will find that the 5:2 works well for those close to their ideal BMI about 2 stone or less to lose. However for heavier people the science is behind the Every Other Day Diet. Once you start to tweak and swap to suit yourself you come away from scientific parameters. If you personally can still shed excess weight doing that, good for you. It does not work for heavier folks and if you put in too many variables it becomes junk science.

blueash:
    “If you read all the blub you will find that the 5:2 works well for those close to their ideal BMI about 2 stone or less to lose.

It does not work for heavier folks…”

Really? I have never read that anywhere; I’d appreciate a link to such “blub”.
    How do the authors of such blub explain people like MrGhrelin and me, who are obese and find 5:2 the easiest and most sustainable weight loss programme we’ve ever come across?

Well I have got the book and it must have been in there. However here is a link to the website where it says:

“……It’s true that several books have been published regarding intermittent fasting. Most of these books discuss the author’s personal experiences with the diet, and offer little or no scientific evidence to support their claims. My book differs from these books in that all of the advice given is supported by rigorous clinical trial evidence generated by my lab group….”

http://www.eoddiet.com/faq/

I am glad that you have been successful but Dr Varady maintains that her recommendations are based on solid science and that while some people will lose weight on the 5:2 she cannot endorse it because the science is not there to support it.

blueash:

Sorry, but more and more folks are reporting weight losses of 100 or more pounds. 40 to 60 pound losses are common. At about one pound a week it takes quite a while to lose a lot of weight, and as you can see from this forum many are just now starting on 5:2. Their losses won’t be large for a year or more. But it is clear if they stick to the diet, they will lose large amounts of weight. There is no reason, scientifically, why they should not.

blueash, if you are happy and having success with ADF, I am happy for you πŸ™‚

It is true that scientific studies on 5:2 specifically have yet to be done. If you prefer a diet with specific research support, go for it!

Like Michael Mosley, I thought I would have difficulty sticking with ADF, even though the idea of weight loss with added health benefits through intermittent fasting appealed to me. So I decided to try 5:2 first; if it didn’t work for me, I could always decide to put in the extra effort and do ADF instead.

I just lost 40 pounds in 40 weeks of 5:2 plus gradually increasing my walking to 10,000 steps/day. My BMI went from 26.9 to 20.1. I’m now at the beginning of maintaining my weight loss. So it is possible to lose a significant amount of weight on 5:2.

I read Krista Varady’s diet book eagerly when it came out, hoping it would go into detail about her studies and their results; I was really disappointed that it didn’t. I would also have a lot of difficulty getting down the meal replacement drinks and frozen meals she recommends; I’m a home-cooking kind of person, and swap cooking duties with an underweight family member who can’t fast and wouldn’t eat that kind of food. So 5:2 suits my lifestyle better, and I’m glad it worked for me. I think that ADF is especially useful for people who have difficulty with the instruction to eat ‘normally’ on non-fasting days, however, and recommend it in that situation. I’m not into bashing what other people are doing to lose weight!

I do the every other day about a month now. I used to do it once a week so its wasn’t that hard for me.
    In this month I lost 8 kilos and I noticed some tricks that I want to share with you, that make this kind of dieting much easier. First you must avoid waking up the “feeding frenzy” drive the days that you fast, thats why I never eat something at home on those days. I only have a glass of juice or two. If I need energy for an activity, only before living from home, I have some raisins or any other fresh or dry fruit. Its much easier for me to keep my calories close to zero that to 500 hundred because the feeding frenzy drive is lurking….

Second point that works for me…….a really big and really really late meal in the evening, has always helped with the next day’s fasting!

Third point and not that important, is to keep your muscles…so some light weight lifting or just exercise your abs every other day with just one set is more than enough.

I am a VEGAN, whole food, S.O.S free and loosing weight on this combination is really easy and without exercising on a schedule, due to work load…just some montainbike and swimming 2-3 times a month.

This has been interesting reading, thanks for starting the thread. I started 5:2, March 2013 and combined it with the Slimming World diet. I managed go lose 2 stone, 6 lbs., even though I really wanted to lose 3 stones, but it wasn’t for shifting. I stopped SW, but continued to do 5:2 and now I have gained 7lbs, much to my dismay. I really thought I had found the secret to stability.

I have never counted calories on non fast days, SW is all about the syns, but allowing loads of unlimited foods, like meat, potatoes etc. To be honest, I added the 5:2 into the SW world diet, as I’m so greedy, I wasn’t losing any weight! But with the two, had losses of between 1-4lb. So, the gain is annoying me.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been doing 4:3, walking a lot and drinking lots of water and I have lost NOTHING! It is exceptionally frustrating and demotivating. I don’t want to do 4:3 for ever, to be honest I hoped I could just go to 5:1, but no such luck! I can live with 5:2, as it has become a way of life. However if this continues I’m worried I’ll just throw in the towel!

What I would like is some advice as to how to get this 7lb off. Thanks

Just a quick update. I have now lost 52 lbs and am just on the cusp of no longer being obese!
    I’m 62 and have been obese since I was a teenager. I still do a 4:3 fasting regimen, but I eat about 750 calories on “fast” days.

Mr.

WTG !!!

Wow! Well done Mr Ghrelin!

Congratulations MrGrhelin.

Have you noticed any health benefits to your using 5:2?

Yes
    Before I started fasting I was having multiple health issues.
    I had:
    Hi blood pressure (I don’t think fasting helped as much as just losing weight)
    Bad lipid panels (Fasting made a big difference here)
    High blood sugar (Fasting also made a big difference here).

I have lost 60 lbs and had no trouble keeping it off. I am not fasting during the holidays as I find that the fasting itself never gets easier, and the holidays make it extra hard.. I will jump back onto it when I return from an Asia trip next month. So far I’ve managed to lose about 30 lbs per year with timeouts from November to January. This has become a lifestyle for me at this point.

A lot people on here seem to start with 5:2, then go to 4:3 and sometimes also do ADF. I decided to do ADF from the word go. I do find fast days relatively easy, especially as they are water only (well, decaff coffee only really) and on feast days I struggle to get up to the 2400 calories I am allowed.

I have 9 stones to lose which I estimate should take me approximately 12 to 15 months on ADF, hopefully I can keep it up. I have only been doing a week so I won’t be weighing myself until 1st April and monthly thereafter, though I will measure myself weekly.

I have been on the diet for 5/6 weeks and have lost 8 lb. I have found this diet suits me. I did slimming world two years and it took e three months to lose the same. I fast on Monday and Thursday and I have found that I am better not having breakfast and maybe a banana for lunch then a meal at night. I have been making soup which is low calories . I have had stir fry for fast days or weight watcher meals or prawn salad. I found the fast days hard to Start with and did not sleep either. I now find it much easier and I even have wine at weekends. Thank you Michael Moseley for your horizon documentary it’s hopefully something I will,stick to for the health benefits. I want to lose another half a stone before June so I am focused

As usual, most people get annoyed / frustrated when their weight loss plateaus / is not as “big” as expected.

Guess what? general health & body weight are not directly related!

If your weight plateaus, then thats what it should be.

STOP weighing yourself so often!

Body weight is only a vague guide to your health… its health thats more important.

Its better to be overweight & healthy, rather than being thin & unhealthy.

Exercise, eat a good range of food, don’t sit around all day, & everything else will be fine.

As a teacher once told me:
    Moderation in ALL things…. including moderation itself! πŸ™‚

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply.