Why WHEN you eat matters

This topic contains 114 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  KateAnne 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)

• That actually mirrors what I’d been doing anyway – as long as I have an egg for breakfast, I can eat well within my 400 calorie limit for the fast day, as long as it includes being able to have skim milk in several cups of tea during the day. Then steamed vegies or salad to about 200 cals for dinner. If I don’t have the skim milk in my tea, chances are I pig out after dinner, so lose the day of fasting.

Having said that, I’ve been very stressed and tired after a nasty flu virus late last year, so I’m still not entirely back doing 5:2, more like 6:1 however I’m still losing weight, but very slowly.

What I’m really interested to see is my cholesterol level next blood test – for me that’s what it is really about.

I agree with this post. The timing of your food has a really huge impact on your hormones. There are four hormones that determine your body weight. They also decide where the calories accumulate on our body. Not eating at the right time causes hormonal imbalance of the estrogen, insulin, throid and the cortisol and this has a major influence on your metabolism as well.

Well, I really am interesting in fasting but I am a bit in doubt for the fact won’t it make me weak after and will it not affect my skin as food brings everything needed to have a healthy skin, I would appreciate some further explanation about it and thanks for your reply!

Hi Lucy, Psyllium husk is brilliant at keeping you regular internally and also fools your insides into thinking you ate something. You still get the great empty feeling and all the benefits but no growling or hunger pangs.
    Drink lots of water with it or black coffee.

Hi Michael,
    I’ve lost about 70 lbs in the last 5 months through low carb eating, as well as eating less frequently. May wife has lost even more weight in the same time period. But we have reached a 2 month plateau, because we lost this weight through continual low carb, and only in the last 2 months or so did we include some fasts. [it was no grains, sugar or starches] So I’m thinking that some thyroid hormones have down regulated causing the stall and now I’m like to do carb/calorie cycling 2 days a week, but sort of the inverse of the 5:2 diet, with only 2 of the days being high calorie, high carb days, (about 15 cal/lb/d) with the increase over 10 cal/lb/d during the low carb days to up regulate the thyroid hormones like T3. My question is this. On the high carb days, do you think that it might be better to eat more frequently since the intent on these days is to deliberately spike the insulin to send the body a message, or should I limit myself to 2 meals or less on a high carb day as well. I should mention that on the re-feed high carb days that I plan on doing resistance training.

Have a look at Jason Fung on YouTube. He argues that if you fast, then you will lose weight.

A person will lose weight then they fast, but I did about 1.5 months of 1 meal a day and I didn’t lose any weight, I actually went up by 2 lbs. And before that there was a 3 day fast, and a 48 hour fast, but I think that my body has compensated. So now I’m trying to reset some of the hormones with carb cycling in combination with 18 hr fasts, and resistance training.

Hi, from what ive heard it is relation to sleep. Ive heard things like dont eat three hours before bed so then your body has time to process the food you have just eaten and use some, where as eating and then going to bed means all that energy gets stored immediately. I think that 7pm time limited is a generalised suggestion to stop people from eating right before bed. Im the same way i work nights at a supermarket finishing generally around 9pm so i fit my fasting times around that.

Hi @annette52. Dr Jason Fung on YouTube is fascinating indeed.

He argues that the calories in/calories out paradigm is misdirected and misleading, and also cruel because it results in false blame-the-victim thinking. He argues this thinking simply doesn’t work long term for various reasons including:

1. the hunger hormones (gherkin and leptin) work non-stop and long-term to bring weight back to the programmed set point.

2. calorie restriction results in reduced metabolism, again bringing long-term weight back to a programmed set point.

3. calories are not all the same from a weight control perspective.

4. energy expenditure and eating impact each other (eg hormones automatically make us hungrier when we exercise, and more sluggish when we eat heavily; stress hormones also impact).

5. fat is not a simple storage and retrieval system as simplistically painted by the calories in/out theory of weight management.

The central driver in his model of weight control and health recovery is fixing insulin sensitivity/resistance. Insulin resistance increases our long term weight set point. And fasting (including fasting enforced by gastric procedures) and LCHF (or more accurately eliminating just the processed carbs and high starch foods) both improve insulin sensitivity and reprogram our weight set point downwards by forcing fat burning cycles. There are also some other things that improve (eg vinegar) or damage (eg high fructose, artificial sweeteners) our insulin sensitivity.

His methods address BOTH the size of the insulin hits in our Western diet (through changing what we eat) AND the persistence of these high insulin levels (through changing when we eat). Fasts are central to beating the persistence problem. And timing of meals and avoidance of snacks (to create long fasts between eating) is therefore also important.

@onel. I think its a typo and you meant ghrelin. As you eat less your stomach shrinks. Ghrelin is produced when your stomach is contracted and turns off when it is stretched. It turns off sooner as your stomach shrinks. Fructose interferes with lepton receptors so that your brain doesn’t get the “Im full” message. That’s why big food puts fructose into EVERYTHING including vinegar!!

Haha. Damned autocorrect. Yes you are right @bigbooty. Ghrelin, not gherkin. And it tried to autocorrect me again.

Can someone confirm for me that 5:2 is within a 7 day cycle. If I start one of my 500 cal days on Sat and I wish to change to say a Tuesday and Thursday is that ok, providing its in the seven day cycle? A little confused.

Hi Tray:

You can have your diet days be any days you want, and change them any time you want. The only ‘rule’ is two a week. You can also eat any time you want during your diet days – again, there is no ‘rule’ that says you have to eat during certain times or allow a certain number of hours between meals.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Lucy,
    I have been following the 5:2 diet for about 9 months now. On the fast days I eat 3 ‘meals’ Breakfast is a low calorie cereal like Special K Berry with 1/2 cup of soy milk and coffee with no sweetener and just 2 tsp. of creamer. Lunch is a 6-oz cup of Lipton Spring Veg. soup (45 calories) plus a cup of coffee. Dinner is 3-egg whites cooked in under .25tsp. of butter with 2-slices of lower calorie whole wheat bread along with my coffee. Then for an evening snack I have a peeled Gala apple. With that said my total calories for the day are around 487, under the 500 limit. I drink a lot of water throughout the day. I really don’t feel hungry at all. My fast days are Monday and Thursday. Following this diet along with changing my eating plan to a more plant based menu and keeping it at around 1,100 calories on non-fast days; I have successfully lost 55 lbs. to date.
    Hope this helps. Keep with it, its worth it. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply.