Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 14,786 total)

• Mmm Pasta… Oh well, not today maybe 🙂

Although I did read this blog/article on this forum somewhere by Dr. Mosely that Pasta, cooked, cooled and then reheated, became a resistant starch, and therefore, better for us? Seems to be a “too good to be true” claim, but then, so did weightloss by just eating less 2 times a week 😉

Gedday to the mob! On the straight and narrow this AM. This is my week to do a dive off that zig zag plateau, looking for a bottom flash in the 93’s! (top is permanently in the 85’s now).

Have really enjoyed the lively banter on here and for the record, I think you’re all high calibre human beings! Not a dullard amongst you. MOM and Kath are little pearlers on the right path already. Wish I’d started this WOL/WOE when I was young. It would have saved a lot of huffing and puffing and self esteem. I never admired me so out of the shape I need to be to be happy. It’s not even an image thing, it’s like weight on my soul! and I feel it lifting as each step gets easier. I’m glad I have at least lightened the dungeon of old age creeping! I bloody got to a RUNNING pace on my treadmill this am! yahoo!

So it was only for a minute and I was gripping the rails for balance, but I MOOOOVED! And only fuelled by green tea, so far. Best of it is knowing this is not unhealthy or a risky WOE, it’s good practice (I ate really well over the NFD’s and would encourage all to at least have bursts of feasting) LOtus, You’re right about 5:2 being adopted by nurses and medical pro’s, I first heard about it through my old hospital gang, even the surgeons are adopting the program. half of them starve for hours over big scrubs anyway and then are on the run and subject to cafeteria food, So guess what? they got the cafeteria to cater for their FD’s too! (Like boiled egg and asparagus in lettuce leaves etc)and green tea is included in the ward pit stops. plus the whole thing was evolved by a doctor anyway, so I think we’re on a winner, any way you look at it.

I’m off for a boiled egg. have a great day, all! xxxgyps

Good Morning Team how are you all? Some of our notable members are MIA of course and no doubt will be having too much fun & enjoying each other’s company a treat! FB CG & GG hope you have a wonderful day today meeting up & don’t even give calories a thought. The time together is too precious for anyone to be worrying about food intake – just go for it guys and enjoy every mouthful and every minute of each other’s company!
    Lotus I have read that too about pasta too but like you would need to read a bit more to be convinced. And mmm pasta but NO not today. FD today & sticking to my program.
    Gyps you put things soo well. Some of my angst was an image thing I admit, but yes it is also like a weight in the soul….you just don’t feel right, or feel that that’s who you are in your soul. And I think that’s what jars when you look in mirrors sometimes – oh no, That’s not who I am is my feeling. And well done on that treadmill Gyps before we know it you’ll be off for a 4km jog.
    YY sounds like a fun grandson. enjoy the little treasure & hope he’s getting better.
    MOM what a great, super-positive post to start the day. It’s wonderful the positive feelings that 5:2 brings on isn’t it. Yep we all have our frustrations or or down days, but generally with 5:2 it’s easy to be upbeat about our journey. Especially with such a great team of people.
    Lotus I’m not sure which bit to laugh over…the polka dot bikini or the seven veils or what?!
    Oh Kathyven another nurse?? us teachers are soo outnumbered! It’s a wonder you all let me in. Good to have you here though. Stick around with us.
    Fit such a pity that it was a teensy bit too far for you to join in on the melbourne meeting eh. But it’s so great to have a pale but interesting irish friend with us ha.

Well off to have another HB egg for lunch & sort out my dinner with MFP. Going to be a good day today I can tell. Byee suejen

Hello from Portland Oregon,

Well another FD almost done. This was tougher for me. A question: I have noticed this week that my food when fasting tastes “off”. AS if my taste buds are not functioning well.

Also, noticed yesterday that when going all out for a Thia meal it really played havoc on my vertigo, which goes to show that a great deal of my vestibular issues are related to what I eat as it affects the fluid in my ears. Felt pretty bad after my Thai meal. Bleh!

I am still trying to figure out the formula that will work best for me. Happily, I don’t feel fatigue or unwell, just hungry today. Think I may need some probiotics as when I did eat my stomach bloated up, so not having much fun with food right now.:-)

I have been incorporating the HIT training in although at a pretty simple level. Anyone else doing HIT?

I have a fer that this will work for everyone else but not for me. I started out at 71 kgs and my goals is around 60-61. Maybe I am being unrealistic but I was close to that three years ago and am now 53.

Has anyone done the daily intermittent fasting where you eat during a certain window of time essentially doing a little fast each day? I thought I would try that this coming week to shake things up a bit. I do have to say that only doing this for three weeks or so, and I have really stepped back from many fears that I had around food. I no longer worry if I don’t have food with me and no way to get to any in a couple of hours. I had no idea the degree to which I was really controlled by food. So if nothing else this has really opened my eyes.

Anyone out there with rheumatoid arthritis I would love to know if this WOE/WOL made a difference. I am determined to avoid medications for as long as I can if not altogether.

Nice to know that you are all out here. So far away, but making a difference all the way over here. Still trying to find a community here. Have a great day everyone.

SJ – absolutely, i’m a fairly positive person anyway so I am taking each day as it comes and I am determined I am not going to look how I did last year by this years Nationals (November) so I am staying positive and keeping as much on track as I can. it helps that one of the other cheer mums has been doing 5:2 WOL for a while and keeps me positive and I can chat to her about it.

Raven – I haven’t tried the 16:8 intermittent fasting and I think realistically for my own personal journey it wouldn’t work. the biggest reason I give up on diets is that its a constant battle to eat well every day and not have any of those treats – at least with 5:2 I can enjoy the treats in moderation . some people (me included for the next 2 weeks) do 4:3 but I have a lot of kg to lose and my metabolism is crap at the moment. so I am doing it to kick start. hopefully someone here has tried the 16:8 and can let you know how they found it. the brilliant thing about the intermittent fasting is that you can tweak it to suit your lifestyle.

As for me today – I’ve done well so far feeling positive still!

coffee for breaky
    peppermint tea for morning break with a couple of olives (50 cal)
    Lunch was ham and some carrots, cherry toms and grapes ( 116 )
    afternoon snack will be another coffee and a mini cucumber
    dinner I’m taking the 2 kids who aren’t at camp out to dinner and will have a salsa’s Mexican salad bowl and a pack of their corn chips as a side (total cals 300) plus a mineral water.

oh and loads of water – I have a 600ml water bottle that sits on my desk and so far I have refilled it twice !

have a fab rest of the afternoon

cheers M.O.M

Hi Raven – Hugs, you sound like you are dealing with a few different health issues at the moment, I will leave technical answers to your questions to the learned members of the jury on this thread. 🙂
    I do a rough form of 16:8, more to control blood sugar levels, as I find it an extremely effective way to deal with the issue. I eat breakfast at about 8 am and dinner about 5 pm (weekends breakfast at 10 am so dinner at 7 pm). The most effective is of course a low-carb-high-fat (LCHF) diet, I am not game enough to go there (yet!), as I do like some carbs 🙂 It is possible to combine the two ways of eating. On Fast days, you eat in that eating window but only for 500 cals, and on Non-fast days, you eat within that window, but less than your TDEE. Fast days are easy, as then then I just have a brunch sort of meal at 11:30ish, and then early dinner at about 6 pm. Nothing calorific after that, so can still have black tea/green tea/back coffee etc. I try not to drink diet stuff after that as the insulin effect is same for both sugar and artificial sweeteners. Non fast-days are semi-successful (I am able to eat 16:8 75% of the time) as have to adjust to social events, meals with family etc, and don’t want to sound the wet blanket at all times.
    I don’t have RA but was diagnosed with beginnings of osteo-arthritis. Maybe its the weight loss of about 9 kilos or fasting itself, but the arthritis has gone from knee 🙂 Not questioning the science of it, just happy to be pain-free 🙂
    There are many threads on the forum to do with inflammation, RA, etc. do have a read.
    Lastly, its not an ambitious goal if that weight is within your healthy body weight range. They say the closer we get to our healthy body weight, the slower the weight loss.

that sounds like a great FD M.O.M! way to go 🙂

Hello team. I actually posted earlier today but must have tapped the wrong key and the whole thing dissapeared. Sugen I do hope your trip to the physio has helped with your pain. It does sound to me like sciatica from back problems. Earlier on said you don’t do en exact TDEE. I don’t either. Mine is more just a guesstimate but am still losing weight so can’t be too far out. Raven I’m a ex theatre nurse so not really up to date with Rheumatoid Arthrits. All I know is that it can be extremely debilitating. I doubt if it can be managed by diet alone but I could be completely wrong.
    Since my whinge about &@)?!’¥£*# bowel problems I’ve changed my FD eating plan. In the past I’ve been concerned about getting hungry so have upped the protein for lunch. This has been working well but quite high calorie. Today I had Brussel sprouts and parsnips – both high fibre for lunch. Not exactly Michelin star food but it was filling and only low in calories. Tonight I’m having ratouillie with mushrooms and will still be we’ll under my allotted 500 calories. It’s now 4 pm and I’m not one bit hungry.
    Take care all and tomorrow is TGIF. let’s hope the gods of scales and tape measure are kind to us.
    XX Doggy

ugh I have a chocolate craving and its hell!!!!!! I’m thinking like Dory from Finding Nemo “just keep swimming , just keep swimming” or in my case “just keep going, just keep going” lol!

It doesn’t help me at all that I am sitting in front of a box of fundraiser chocolates for my sons scout group!!! eek!

first real craving on a FD I have had to combat!! so really I am doing well.

chocolate craving M.O.M signing out!!!

Mayhem , hang in there 🙂 go brush your teeth, have a big glass of water and place a towel over the chocolates so you cannot see them.

stay strong M.O.M. Hide the fund raiser thingie in another location / room. Just another few hours to go. Don’t give in…

Doggy, your lunch sounds nice 🙂 I am glad to hear that a change in what you eat has made a difference 🙂 I love mushrooms and I always find them filling 🙂
    Lotus, thanks for sharing, now that you have mentioned your knee, I just realised that mine isn’t hurting anymore! This is my 4th fast

lol lotus and taco – only problem is I work down in the retail shop so they’re on the desk here enticing customers to buy them – you’d be amazed how many I have sold to the tradies who come into my work! its far better than them tempting me at home!

I’ll be strong I promise

Hi Raven, Well, a few years ago I would have said trimming down to youthful ideals at 53 would be unrealistic, but not anymore. Maybe it’s the high percentage of babyboomers around that’s showing us the way, but it’s pretty much a world trend now for people to ‘age’ slower and a lot more gracefully! In fact I think ‘old’ is, and always has been a learned point of view and very dependant on personal attitudes and that of those we consider ‘our peers’. So no, I don’t think it’s a big ask to go from 71 to 60 kgs, certainly doable on 5:2, only reservation being as long as doing so makes you feel more alive and energetic, not the reverse. Our individual bodies do have an ideal balance, that’s what I’m aiming for. I expect I’ll know when to stop. It’ll just stop feeling good to go frailer. Let’s be clear, FRAIL is NOT healthy, pretty or nice to experience.

The thing I am finding about 5:2 is that it’s worth savouring the journey, because I am finding even the plateaus de-stessing, more like a pit stop I can enjoy as long as I like, because I am in control. I know now that a ‘bit stricter’ calorie count and a ‘bit of a burst’ on the exercise over a ‘few’ fast days, will start the Butter ball rolling downhill again. If it’s ready to roll.

And I get that it’s not always optimal, for a number of reasons, to shed the housing while the organs need time to handle the toxins fat burning generates- (Ketones -You will often smell a definite chemical aroma in the urine of someone burning body fat for fuel (especially diabetics). Hormones (like insulin), immunity and emotions, are my main suspects for plateau hold ups. Each of those factors will: hold fluids in the tissues, alter digestion and affect elimination. So its a pretty big subject. Just worth being aware of the value of listening to your body, It will tell you what you need, right down to cravings for different minerals and vitamins. and when it’s the right food it tastes wonderful! No mistaking it. Likewise, to the fasted and cleansed gastric system, the wrong food is nothing less than poison.

So having said all that, (airy, fairy like, off the top of my head and more from an experience base than any book learning)…

RAVEN, if you have only been on 5:2 for a few weeks then I suggest your taste buds are well into the detox stage as your body dumps the chemicals built up by all of us in this fast food society. Intermittent fasting gives the bod a break from it and it’s none too happy to resume the old pattern. Sadly, even my lovely greasy pork chops make me queasy now! Added to that, at 53, where are you on the menopause hormone yoyo? then add “Thai” spices, unless fresh, they are dead chemicals and not kind to detoxing tums. If they include garlic then you are ingesting a powerful natural anti biotic, definitely not kind to struggling new natural flora trying to re-establish an active digestion , you have a war zone going on inside and ears getting blocked, too, is a likely allergic response.Spewing will come next(any diarrhoea or constipation as well?). High intensity training in the mix is putting you on a fast track for garbage disposal and heh, heh, maybe your body’s telling you the bin’s overloaded and just have a little patience ?

So don’t fret, your suggestion of probiotics is a n excellent start, lots of plain water, minimal spices and only fresh food with high fibre (avoid dairy and gluten) just for a few days should work like draino and set you on the right path. Take note of the foods that bloat you and avoid, or at least know that’s the price you’ll pay for enjoying them. Hope th’sa food for thought. don’t give up you are winninnig! Cheers! gyps

Sorry, girls, another loooooog drone, ah, well the more we post the higher up the most popular ladder CG’s thread gets and the more folk she’ll get on the road to good health. xxx

Mayhem, put that lolly down!!!! Haw! Haw! not to worry, we all get the munchies sometimes. Don’t stress if you break, but only have one and eat it slowly, ad to your tally and you’ll find it’s still only a low cal day, You’ll get better as you go. just keep tally and you’ll stay accountable, it’s NOT like other diets where one slip and one throws up their hands and, gobble, gobble, boo hoo, it’s all hopeless! faaailure! You can’t fail on 5:2, it just bends with you. And guess what, you can either have your chocolate and fast another day, or you can have it tomorrow! you’re doing okay love, don’t sweat the small stuff! xx

PS Raven, as to arthritis and 5:2 I can only say mine has improved greatly since starting intermittent fasting (SINCE jAN 2ND, newyear’s resolution) I attribute this to several side benefits of eating less and better choices.

1. Weight loss itself takes a load off weight bearing joints.
    2. Detoxing removes irritants to tissues/joints (bearing in mind that, broken down to the Latin meaning “arthro” means ‘joint’ and “itis” means ‘inflammation of’, arthritis is simply inflammation of a joint and there are many causes for it, incl. injury- leading to ‘osteo’ arthritis, involving only the joint injured, or the more debilitating (can be many or any joints) auto immune disease – as in where the body attacks it’s own tissues. And then you have the mystery bag of ‘Flitting’ aches and pains in joints , some are fever symptoms and pass, others are from joint disease like gout and directly relate to diet as in the urate crystals collecting in hoints (or organs too as can calcite,causing ‘stones’ etc) Anyway, urates are the end result of protein metabolization, and that means meats fish and dairy to the exclusion of carbs can also be a trap (overload the bod with urates it can’t process fast enough, so stores as it does fat. So it’s possible to see that 5:2 gives a better balance. I think it does.

The one singular culprit I blame for causing inflammation (in more than the joints, but certainly relevant to them) is the ‘free radicals’, substances we should never ingest, and they are the chemicals that load all processed foods as well as our world in general. So, minimise what you can, drink filtered water, lots of and lose the flab. It will all help. I no longer take any meds for arthritis. I only have old age creaks. but much improved over 4 months.

And that’s my fast day done and dusted, thank you all for the distraction. Cheers! Gyps

Hi Raven, I’m not a nurse (librarian) and 15 years on you but I can comment from almost 3 months of 5:2 now. I also needed to lose 10 kilos and to date it is coming off slowly, 300 – 400 a week after an initial loss of about 1 kilo. You don’t need to fear, it will work for you and if it is slow, all the better. If you’ve read Michael Moseley’s book, it reasons that by only eating 500 cals at least twice per week and then keeping in mind that you need to watch your TDEE you MUST lose, even without exercise. Also RA should be improved because it is such a healthy way of eating.

Just wondering, could the Thai food have had MSG added. If so this affects me stomach wise and probiotics are a must after. Good advice from Gypsy. YYxx

Hi All!
    Just checking in before I go off to make my legs and toenails fit for public comsumption…pale but interesting is one thing, but hairy and neglected is quite another!! Sun shining and bare legs beckoning for the first time since last summer…gotta go, gang! Will post properly later xxx

Hi everyone, I posted today but had to go back to work – just got home 🙁 I hope everyone is still hanging in there – I am but I need to have a BIG drink of water – will post once I’m better. All the best for tomorrow

Go Fit! Our summer is just fading, had my first reach for a blanket in the early hrs. and haven’t sweated all day (except on the treadmill), yahoo! sure your pale, nubile legs will be most alluring. It must be like coming out of a butterfly pod in the snow country! Enjoy your sunshine.

Hope the trio are eating sensibly in Melbourne…..Is beef jerky low cal you think? OH, ever supportive just brought some home from the pub, now I’ve got this urge to try it …. or maybe eat the cow it came from….Noooo… have a cucumber, you fool!

Gypsy, I found both your posts ( the long ones up top of page) extremely informative. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge and wisdom!! I have chemical smell (hair perm sort of?) in urine (sorry TMI) especially during FD or the day after – is that ketones burning. Is that a good thing or bad thing? My HBA1C is only 5.9 last test, hoping for better one when I go next month. Also I am on metformin.
    I have also understood he weird reaction to food after fasting day – Start with.a low carb breakfast then at lunch have some carbs and evening meals some naughty carbs ( today was some potatoe wedges.). But I feel very bloated end of day – food is around 1400 cals. Maybe it’s spices? Can’t seem to tolerate peanuts too much. Anyway, wanted to share this with you, as no topics are taboo here 🙂

Cucumber is better than beef jerky no?

Hi again!
    Gypsy – look at you, running on your treadmill, wow! Once again, you have great words of wisdom for everyone’s health issues…you definitely should be charging! (Mates rates, of course!)
    YY – hope you’re perfecting your ‘interested nana’ face for the grandson. I’m sure he thinks he’s the first one to ever do these great feats, so it’s best to play along. Have fun!
    SJ – another teacher here, so you’re not alone! Retired now and no regrets or looking back. What about you?
    Raven – sorry to hear about your health issues. I know vertigo is really debilitating because one of my sisters suffers with it too and it has caused havoc for her. She takes meds for a while until it settles down but I don’t know of any foods that help/hinder the process. Hope you feeling better soon. I haven’t experienced things tasting ‘off’, but I have noticed a change in the things I craved and I can resist certain ‘goodies’ better than before.
    MoM – stay strong, you are doing brilliantly!
    Doggy – hope your dietary changes bring the improvement you’re looking for. It really is a case of finding what works for oneself in this wol, but it is so flexible and adaptable. Best of luck.
    Taco and Lotus – glad you’re finding less pain these days. Keep up the good work.
    Let’s hope Melbourne is surviving the AD ‘storm’ which blew in with the arrival of the CG and GG! I’m sure they’re having a whale of a time and painting the town red 🙂
    FD for me today, so off out again to get my hair done…it distracts me and will have me looking shipshape from head to toe after my visit to the beautician this morning!! What a hard life 😉

Ooh fit! Getting all glammed up !! 🙂
    Have a good Fast Day

Taco, all well? You sounded a bit stressed in the last post.

Hi, this will be quick. Raven I tend to do 16 /8 because I don’t like to eat breakfast any day. I am just not hungry in the morning. My last food is dinner at around 7. I have lost 8 kilos since November and am 58 years old. I would have lost more by now but am in the U.S.for 4 months as you may recall and this has slowed me down.
    Anyway, I can finally report some downward movement in the scales, and am today at my lightest, 67.9. Always good to start a new number ( from 68 to 67 even if it is .9!) I also do low carb but don’t stress if I can’t.

What a treasure you all are. Thanks for the encouragement and informaion. Here is to,a lovely weekend ahead.

Thanks Uptightoutasight,

I didn’t eat an early breakfast either and thought that was not of the reasons for my weight gain as we are overrun with the concept that we need to eat small meals. So I started eating breakfast early and guess what? I gained even more weight. Good to know about the 16:8. I am going to try it next week. I did do a bit of it before but will do it every day no matter what and cut out more diary. Carbs aren’t bad but will give it a look.
    Gypsy thanks for your insights. Will not lose my resolve. It’s just that my joints are aching more now. It coupl be that it is not RA, But was told years ago from my blood work to expect it at some point. I have a visit with a rheumatologist in June. ( she’s considered the best in this area and hard to get into). So, I am maybe making assumptions but this is odd joint pain.
    I apologize for my many typos which will most likely continue for me I am afraid. You are all speeding now I expect. Happy Friday to you!

Haha! I meant you are all sleeping now. Like I said….:-)

I agree, carbs aren’t “bad”. I just know that they make a big difference to me.

Raven! We ARE speeding- towards better health lol
    Uptight – so good to hear from you and that you are finding some losses again too number numbers!! – I very briefly saw 74.8 last week, so hoping it will be 74 something this week… I know they say it’s only numbers, but It’s these things that help us stay on track 🙂

Another fast day for me, I find the third day on 4:3 tougher in terms of resolve, but it gets better as the day moves on. Lunch outside tomorrow so this will help balance it out 🙂

Good Morning Ads
    A quick hello from Melbourne. GG and CG also say Hello. These two lovely ladies are more than amazing.
    We have been eating n drinking n having heaps of fun. And yes, missing all you lovely people here on this thread.
    And yes, no 5:2ing while we are all here in Melbourne together. Meeting up again today for my birthday lunch and Andrewofcastlemaine is also going to join us for lunch today….. Looking forward to it now.
    There is lots more news to come but for now, i will try to post a picture here from our yesterdays meet n greet. CG on left, GG on right n FB in middle 🙂

photo 0EBECE3D-8434-473D-8FEA-1677EBF1592B_1.jpg

Wow! Don’t you all look terrific! It’s lovely to put faces to the names…so glad that ye are having a great time together and enjoying getting to know each other. Have a fabulous birthday, FB with the gals and Andrew. Can’t wait to see and hear about more of your exploits 😉

Wow! Great pic:)you all look amazing and. Yes, it’s lively to have a face to the names 🙂
    Happy Birthday FB, and have a great day ahead. Best wishes to you ladies and AndrewofCastlemaine!
    How did you post the pic? Copied and pasted it is it?

Stunning! Wow! How good you all look! Humbling to met the real people behind all the kind words that keep us going. You three are all excellent motivaters and just look how vibrant those faces are. Well done ladies, regards to Andrew and hope you all have a great time. Yes, FB we are all hanging out to know how you posted a piccie on here??!!! You’ve quite made my day. xxx

Okay I give. How do I see a picture of you all.

Ah, nevermind just got it. My computer runs a little wonky.

Great to put faces to names. Hope you have a wonderful time.

How fabulous to see all of you enjoying yourselves and may I say all looking darn fabulous!! Wonderful to match the faces to the names. Xx enjoy today with Andrew heaps!

FB what a super photo, you clever clogs you! Can’t feel jealous of your get together, just so happy that you can, and it shows. Hope I can look as fabulous as you three when I get further along. It’s 9:21 in the West and almost lunchtime in Melbourne so enjoy your meeting with Andrew.

Don’t worry CG, Lotus and Gypsy are keeping us in line and encouraged.

Fit the anticipation of summer ahead is always lovely here too. Even forget the boiling hot days can lie ahead and there is always a day when I go outside to put water in the birdbaths and lift my head and sniff like a dog all the promise of the warm days to come.

All the ‘snitching’ of a bit here and a bit there plus the pasta this week has caught up with me. Only 100grams but at least it went the right way on the scales. Found having to stimulate an appetite in my grandson a bridge too far and as I said, a bit here and a bit there….. 🙂 Enjoy your weekend everybody. YY xx

Have a amazing day FB, GG, & CG 🙂

well apart from the major chocolate craving (which did not beat me) I had a great FD yesterday . However I can safely say that my chocolate i treated myself to at my morning break was definitely worth it!

Today is a lovely quiet day at work so am just plodding along tidying the shop and enjoying the peace! will get my exercise anyway moving round here restocking.

I am going to weigh and measure in tomorrow. I don’t think I will have lost much weight wise as the monthly visitor is here, but if I’ve lost a few cm I will be happy with that anyway.

Have a fabulous Friday everyone!!! The weekend is almost here!!

Cheers M.O.M

Greetings team. What a lovely photo of you all in Melbourne. I do hope you are having a great get together. There will be no lack of conversation I’m sure.
    Weigh and stat day here and I’m down another 500 grams. Small movement of the tape measure too but I guess most of the weight is the visceral variety which is so bad for us.
    Lotus I think it was you who asked if the ketone smell in your urine was good or bad. It’s good as it means your body is functioning as it should on a FD.
    It’s cold and wet here today but we need the rain, we are not on town water. My garden is thoroughly enjoying it too.
    I’ve just made a big batch of Red Lentil Dahl – I think it’s your recipe Lotus. I stuffed up the measurements and added too much water. I’ve boiled most of it off but just added more chilli and ginger for extra flavour. I doubt if they are high in calories. I’ll check with MFP. to be honest I don’t use it much these days as I have this Big Brother watching feel about it. I know it’s just an app so am no doubt just being paranoid.
    More worlds of wisdom from you Gypsy. You talk about getting older. When one’s thinks of the alternative it’s not too bad. I only wish I’d had the self esteem and wisdom that I have now when I was younger.
    Enjoy the day team and treat yourselves to something yummy
    XX Doggy

Hi LOtus, I would be checking with your dr about ceasing metformin if your hbaic is consistently on the low side. It is entirely possible to reverse type2 diabetes with weight loss and diet control. You may no longer need medication. As I said, I’ve just done it myself. And tho you may always now have the tendency for the disease to flare up, you can usually control it with diet.

Plus, metformin is hard on your liver and most diabetic meds ensure that you have insulin in your system at a different ratio to what your normal ‘supply on demand’ generates. With slow release types like lantus it means there is a constant level of insulin. So your body is not dictating the terms, the drug is. In theory (and I do NOT profess to be up on med side effects) you could be doing more harm than good by taking it if you don’t need it.

Not sure if that would cause a state of ketosis, but it does in cases of hyperglycaemia, ie, when insulin is injected and food is withheld- it begins to break down other sources of glucose, like muscle and fat. Whilst ketosis does happen in weight loss, it is a natural metabolic process, in the detox mode. We are dumping rubbish, after all, so it can upset the taste and tummy (whilst toxins are heading down the sewer as previously mentioned). But it should not be a constant process and chemically induced ketosis over sustained time will certainly interfere with digestion and mental function, to varying degrees. At mildest, vague, At worst (hyperglycaemic crisis, in type 1 diabetes – )it can lead to extreme mental dysfunction, coma and death. But I grow more and more suspicious about the insidious, low lying effects of drugs in our systems. insulin resistance versus insulin stimulants is a huge question in my opinion. Worth eliminating if possible.

So Lotus. Wish I knew more to help you, but would suggest it is wise to check your ketones as well as glucose levels (can get strips for same, see chemist) and if you are in doubt, see a diabetes clinic for clarification. luck, gyps

Oh and FB forgot to say Happy Happy Birthday and make sure you celebrate in style!
    Well the scales tell me (after changing the battery….I did like the 72.5 & then the 69.8 & then 66 something!!) that I’ve gained weight this week up 400gr. Not surprising since my weight spiked back up to 74.8, then down to 74.1 & then lost 600gr with yesterday’s FD but still up. Never mind it will all settle down soon enough and I WILL see a 72.5 not too long down the track. The nibbles at home with the open studio haven’t helped (except FD’s of course) but it finishes on Monday & life returns to normal. One more big painting sold to a lovely couple who I know will treasure it. Oh I did forget that I measured as well and have lost 1cm off my waist which has been quite slow to lose so all good. Will record my TDEE for the next week at least to ensure that I’m not over feasting! Have a great Friday & weekend all and hope others have seen good results with their weigh-ins. Love to hear about them as I find it so motivating. And remember our WOL is a journey not a race. Sometimes we need the stalls & gains & plateaus to learn valuable lessons along the way. Byee suejen XX

Hi Doggie – thanks for your reply. the salt and ginger and chilies will not add any significant calories (about 10 cals in all, if you counting very minutely). I in fact add a lot of water and have the dal like a thinner soup on Fast Days, easy way to get lots of fluids. Also lemon juice and coriander added to it are refreshing and full of vitamin C.
    Hi Gypsy: thank you so much for the considered advice. I was wondering too about my HBA1C levels (generally 5.9 or max 6.1 btw), and wanted to go off meds, but both the GP and specialist continue recommending it as I have a family tendency and other factors that are supposed to put me in “high risk” category (their words!). 1gram Metformin SLR that I take does not really suit me much anymore and I am noticing increasing intolerance for it (tummy upset, flu like symptoms etc., when I am quite fit and eat a fairly clean and junk-free diet), but have continued taking it as the doctors want to play safe and want me to lose more weight before discontinuing meds. Hopefully specialist visit due in June, I will have lost enough weight to satisfy them.
    For Ketone strips – do we need a prescription?
    My glucose strips have expired, and I keep forgetting to get the machine to buy matching strips. Will do that tomorrow.

Addendum: Fortunately I don’t feel any lethargy or lowered mental capacity. In fact, opposite problem, as the mind seems to refuse to switch off! 🙂

Hi Suejen, congrats on the cm lost and also the painting sold! The weight gain should sort itself out, I guess your body playing catch-up 🙂
    M.O.M – I gain about a kilo around Aunty Flo’s visit too – goes away in a couple of days time, but annoying when it happens. But good on you for resisting that chocolate yesterday 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.